Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
Munn, the immigrant ancestor, was a resident of Hartford, Connecticut,
in 1639, and was a soldier in the Pequot War in 1637. He removed to
Springfield, Massachusetts, where he was living in 1649, and was a
proprietor in 1651. In 1663 he was fined ten shillings "for taking
tobacco on his hay cock." In 1665, "being very aged and
weak," he was exempted from military service. he was probably
killed by the Indians in November, 1675. He married, April 2, 1649,
Abigail, daughter of Henry Burt and widow of Francis Ball. She married
(third) December 14, 1676, Lieutenant Thomas Stebbins, of Springfield.
Children: 1. Abigail, born June 28, 1650. 2. John, February 8, 1651-52,
mentioned below. 3. Mary, married Nathaniel Wheeler. 4. Benjamin, born
March 25, 1654. 5. James, February 10, 1655-56. 6. Nathaniel, July 20,
(II) John, son of Benjamin Munn, was born February 8, 1651-52, and settled in Westfield. He was in the Falls fight, where he lost his horse, saddle and bridle, for which he asked pay, and said that he was "under a wasting sickness which he contracted in the Falls fight." In another petition in 1683 he says "he is ina sad condition by reason of a surfeit got at the Falls fight, and it will through him into an incurable consumption." He died September 16, 1864. He married, December 23, 1680, Abigail, daughter of Benjamin Parsons, of Springfield. She married (second) October 7, 1686, John Richards, schoolmaster, who removed to Deerfield. Children: 1. John, born March 16, 1681-82. 2. Benjamin, mentioned below.
(III) Benjamin, son of John Munn, was born in 1683, and was a carpenter by trade. He removed to Deerfield with his mother, and in 1704 was living in a half underground house in a side hill on his step-father Richards' land. On an Indian attack, Richards' youngest daughter was captured and the rest of the family barely escaped, and his house was burned. Munn's house was so covered with snow that it escaped notice, and he, with his wife and baby, remained undisturbed. He was a solder in the French War, and served as selectmen. Late in life he removed to Northfield, where he died February 5, 1774, aged ninety-one.
Benjamin Munn married, January 18, 1702-03, Thankful Nims who died July 11, 1746, daughter of Godfrey Nims. Children: 1. Thankful, born January 12, 1703-04. 2. Mary, December 7, 1705. 3. Benjamin, May 26. 1708, died January 11, 1709. 4. Benjamin, born July 3, 1709. 5. John, March 16, 1712, mentioned below. 6. Rebecca, December 10, 1714, died January 24, 1715. 7. Abigail, January 9, 1717. 8. Samuel, September 14, 1719. 9. Rebecca, April 14, 1722. 10. Sarah, November 14, 1724. 11. Leroy, June 1, 1728.
(IV) John (2), son of Benjamin Munn, was born at Deerfield, March 16, 1712. He was a soldier at Fort Dummer in 1730-36, and removed to that part of the town now Northfield, and died there April 5, 1765. He married Mary, daughter of William Holton, of Northfield; she died January 8, 1768. He married (second), October 23, 1769, Eunice, daughter of Joseph Clesson. Children: 1. John, born November 16, 1741. 2. Mary, November 30, 1743. 3. Noah, April 17, 1746. 4. Oliver, April 24, 1748. 5. Abigail, March 3, 1750. 6. Sarah, June 7, 1752. 7. Seth, mentioned below. 8. Elisha, 1755.
(V) Seth, son of John (2) Munn, was born at Gill, Massachusetts, and baptized May 5, 1754. He died there February 13, 1808, aged fifty-four, according to the town record. He married Selma -----------. He was a soldier in the Revolution, a private in Captain Bela Proctor's company, Lieutenant-Colonel Williams' regiment, sent to re-in force the northern army in August, 1777. He was in the Continental Army July 7, 1780, when his age is given as twenty-five years; height, five feet eleven inches; complexion, dark; residence, Northfield. He was in Captain Samuel Flower's company, Colonel John Greaton's regiment, in 1780, and later on Captain Joseph Crocker's company, Colonel Greaton's regiment, at Camp Totaway, and at West Point. In 1790 the first federal census shows Simon, Noah, John and Seth Munn heads of families in Greenfield, Massachusetts. Seth had two sons under sixteen and two females in his family. John, Noah and Simon were brothers. Children, born at Gill: 1. Otis, September 28, 1784, mentioned below. 2. Seth, August 15, 1789. 3. Sylvia, May 21, 1792. 4. Orra, February 17, 1793. 5. Obadiah, October 26, 1797. 6. Sophy, died November 17, 1805.
(VI) Otis, son of Seth Munn, was born at Gill, formerly Greenfield, Massachusetts, September 28, 1784. He married Malenda ---------, and had a daughter, Sophia S., who died April 8, 1810, aged twenty-two months. Je married (second) Parmelia Jennings, of Greenfield, April 15, 1815. Soon after his marriage he removed to Rochester, New York, where he purchased a large tract of land near Carthage Landing. He was there but a short time when he removed to Greig, Lewis County, New York, selling his farm at Rochester,. He followed his trade as carpenter and bridge builder many years. He sold his farm at Greig and removed to Leyden, New York, about 1839, and bought another farm there, which he cultivated for forty years afterward. He died August 31, 1880; his wife, Parmelia, died May 5, 1876. Children: 1. Franklin Lyon, born October 2, 1816, died December 29, 1847. 2. Margaret J., born February 25, 1819; married Francis W. Northrop, of Lowville. 3. Mary B., August 20, 1821; married Walter Whittlesey, of Lyons Falls; died March 25, 1860. 4. Chester J., July 16, 1824. 5. George W., October 6, 1827; died August 23, 1839. 6. Helen M., February 9, 1830; died October 30, 1863; married Henry Shedd, of Lyons Falls. 7. Thaddeus Eugene, mentioned below.
(VII) Thaddeus Eugene, son of Otis Munn, born July 29, 1835. His early life was spent on the homestead, and he attended the common schools. He entered Lowville Academy under Professor Mayhew and was a student there two years and a half. He then entered the employ of F. W. Northrop as clerk in his general store at Lowville and after a year went with his employer to Zanesville, Ohio, where he worked during the next two years as clerk in the Dry goods store that Mr. Northrop established there. Upon his return he took a preparatory course at Fairfield, Herkimer County, New York, and afterward at Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Massachusetts. He entered Union College, in the second term of the freshman year and graduated in the class of 1861. During the next four years, through the eventful struggle of the Civil War, he devoted much of his time to public speaking at patriotic meetings held to raise funds and secure volunteers. He won a reputation for ability as a public speaker and as an earnest and able supporter of the Union. He was a Republican, but never an office seeker, though he was often called to places of honor and responsibility. He was elected supervisor of the town in 1870, and held the office six consecutive terms. He married, September 3, 1868, Adeline Baker, born September 23, 1836, daughter of Thomas and Louise (Shaw) Baker of Talcottville.
(VIII) Thaddeus Eugene, only child of Thaddeus Eugene Munn, was born May 13, 1869. He attended the Peekskill (New York) Military Academy, the Clinton (New York) grammar school and the Williston Seminary, Easthampton, graduating in the class of 1889. After traveling for a time he returned to his home and had been occupied largely in the management of his father's estate. He is an active and useful citizen, well known and highly respected in the community.
He married, at Boonville, New York, June 23, 1897, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Peter J. and Bridget (Holmes) Barrow. She had a brother, John Barrow, who died at the age of seven years; a brother Frank P. Barrow; brothers Peter F. and James P., and sister Kate Barrow. Thaddeus Eugene and Mary E. Munn have had one child, Otis, born November 11, 1901.
BICKNELL. Zachary Bicknell, immigrant ancestor of the Bicknell family in America, came from England early in the spring of 1635, and landed at Wessaguscus, now Weymouth, Massachusetts, within the limits of Massachusetts Bay Colony. He came with the Rev. Joseph Hull and one hundred and one others, mostly from Somerset and Dorset, in the southwest part of England. the ship's record is as follows: "Zachary Bicknell, aged 27 years. Jno. Bicknell, his son, aged 11 years. Jno Kitchin, his servant, 23 years." From this little family has sprung a numerous progeny, scattered over all parts of the country.
Zachary Bicknell built a house upon land granted by the town, and died the year following his arrival, before March 9, 1636-37. The house and land were sold the next year to William Reed. The general court under date of March, 1636-37, ordered "that William Reade, having bought the house and twenty acres of land at Weymouth, unfenced, which was Zachary Bicknell's for seven pounds, thirteen shillings and four pence, of Richard Rocket and wife, is to have the sale confirmed by the child when he cometh of age, or else the child to allow such costs as the court shall think meet." (Taken from the records).
Zachary Bicknell's widow married (second), soon after her husband's death. She was probably the second wife of Mr. Bicknell, and the mother of his son , John, mentioned below.
(II) John, son of Zachary Bicknell, was born in England about 1623. He came to New England with his parents and settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts. He was selectman many years and member of the general court in 1677-78. In 1661 he was one of a committee to repair the old North Church. He married (first), about 1650, Mary -----, who died March 25, 1657-58. He married (second), December 2, 1658, Mary, daughter of Richard Porter, of Weymouth. She died in 1679. His will was dated November 6, 1678, proved January 20, 1678-79. He bequeaths all the real estate to his wife, except twenty acres and one and one-half acres of salt meadow, which he gives to his son John, so long as she shall remain his widow to bring up the children to the age of twenty-one. He bequeaths to his daughters fifteen pounds, and to the three children of John Dyer: John, Thomas and Benjamin, his grandchildren, five pounds each. Children of first wife: 1. John, born 1653-54. 2. Mary, married John dyer, died in 1677-78. 3. Naomi, born June 21, 1657. Children of second wife: 4. Ruth, born October 26, 1660; married James Richards, died February 12, 1728. 5. Joanna, March 2, 1663. 6. Experience, October 20, 1665. 7. Zachary, February 7, 1668, mentioned below. 8. Thomas, August 27, 1670, died February 17, 1718; married, February 16, 1696, Ann Turner, of Hingham, and removed to Middleborough, Massachusetts. 9. Elizabeth, April 29, 1673. 10. Hannah, November 15, 1675. 11. Mary, March 15, 1678; married Maurice Truphant; died October 13, 1764. 12. Child, April 10, 1682, died young.
(III) Zachary (2), son of John Bicknell, was born in Weymouth, February 7, 1668. He removed to Swansea, Massachusetts, and perhaps later to Ashford, Connecticut. He moved to Swansea in 1705 and bought land on the west bank of the Barrington River, north of Prince's Hill, and his house was north of the present parsonage, fronting the river. He was influential in establishing the Congregational Church and in effecting the separation of Barrington from Swansea. He married Hannah Smith. Children: Zachariah, mentioned below. 2. Joshua, 1696. 3. Hannah. 4. James, 1702. 5. Peter, 1705-06. 6. Mary.
(IV) Zachariah, son of Zachary (2) Bicknell, was born in Swansea, Massachusetts, 1695. He lived at Rehoboth, Massachusetts, and Ashford, Connecticut. He married at Rehoboth, March 9, 1718019, Katherine Giffany, of Taunton. Children: 1. Zachariah, born 1723, mentioned below. 2. John, 1725. 3. Samuel, 1720. 4. Ebenezer, 1732. 5. Timothy, 1722. 6. William, 1725. 7. Nathan, 1736.
(V) Zachariah (2), son of Zachariah (1) Bicknell, was born in 1723, and was living in Ashford in 1790. A. Zachariah Bicknell joined the Ashford Church in 1792. He died there April 6, 1796, in his "seventy-fifth year."
(VI) Thomas, son or nephew of Zachariah (2) Bicknell, was born in Ashford about 1750-60. His son Ralph is mentioned below.
(VII) Ralph, son of Thomas Bicknell, was born in Ashford, according to the family record, October 14, 1790. He became a lumberman on the Connecticut and was occupied in log-driving many years. When he was twenty-five years old he removed to Vermont and later to West Parishville, New York, about 1830. He took up a tract of wild land, came with his goods and family on an ox cart and built his cabin there. He cleared the land and followed farming until his death, September, 1866. He married, in Vermont, Parna Hibbard. Children: 1. Parna. 2. Ralph A. 3. Maria. 4. Hibbard A. 5. Josiah D. 6. Adeline. 7. Laura, married Morris McDonald. 8. Eliza. 9. Carlos. 10. Marshallaline.
(VIII) Ralph A., son of Ralph Bicknell, was born at Norwich, Windsor County, Vermont, October 14, 1815, died in 1884. He came with his parents to Parishville when a boy of fifteen and worked for his father during his boyhood. He had a common school education. For some years he was employed in the copperas works at Canton, New York, later was a general merchant at Parishville, and for a time was in the distillery business in partnership with his brother, Josiah D., at Parishville. He finally removed to Howard City, Michigan, and owned a mill there and bought and sold timber lands. He was in active business to the time of his death. In politics he was a Republican. He married (first) Barbara Ann Taylor; (second) Emily Irish. Children of first wife: 1. Marrietta. 2. Melvina. 3. John. 4. George S., mentioned below. Children of second wife: 5. Blanchard. 6. Cora. 7. Frank. 8. Willis.
(IX) George S., son of Ralph A. Bicknell, was born at Colton, New York, May 22, 1845. He attended the district schools of his native town and at Malone, New York, and studied his profession in the Law School of Michigan University at Ann Arbor, graduating in 1869. He enlisted in the Eleventh New York Cavalry in the Civil War and was one of the famous "Scott's 900." He fought at Culpepper, and in 1864 went with his regiment, under General Thomas, to New Orleans and took part in the battle of Tippidou. Louisiana; in the battle of Baton Rouge, at Vicksburg, at Memphis, Tennessee; at Chattanooga and Germantown, Tennessee. He was in the Red River Expedition, and on scouting duty more of the time. He was wounded at Germantown, May 22, 1865, in a fight with guerrillas and sent to the hospital., he was mustered out, with the rank of corporal, in September, 1865. From 1872 to 1878, he was a general merchant at Parishville, New York, and also conducted a farm there.
After the death of his father he went to Howard City to settle the estate and while there took the law course at Ann Arbor. In 1890 he returned to Colton and engaged in the lumber business, in which he has met with signal success. He has a saw mill and manufactures lumber. In addition to his business interests he has also practiced law. He has been a justice of the peace since 1890 and is an influential Republican. He is a member of Colton Lodge, No. 428, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Marsh Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Potsdam.
He married (first) in 1866, Amelia, daughter of Newman Anderson, of Pierrepont, New York. He married (second) Ida McCabe. Children of first wife: 1. Henry, born February, 1868, a farmer of Colton; married Nora Donahue; children: i. Francis, ii. Marion, iii. Ella. 2. Burton N., October 19, 1870, proprietor of a butter factory and creamery at Colton; unmarried. 3. Lorena, married John Champney; children: i. Bessie, ii. Herbert Champney. 4. Melvina, married a Mr. Robinson; he resides at Edwardville, St. Lawrence County, New York.
BASSETT. Le Bas is a well-known French surname. The Anglo-Saxon form is Bass, Basse, Bassi, Bassus, Bassite or Bassett. Other variations of the name are Bassano, Baselin, Bassville, Bassantien and Bassianus.
It is a popular tradition that the name being of French origin, came the word bas, meaning, in this connection, short of stature. Before surnames were known, Henry, for example, was a youth who may have lacked some inches of being six feet--that was an age of giants--therefore Henry was designated, "le bas." In time the name belonged to him and to his descendants. Or the name may have originated with Basque. A native of the Basque province was spoken of as a Basque, which, through corruption, became Bass or Bassett. One of the Basque legends has to do with Bass-andre, a land mermaid who sits ina cave combing her golden locks, with a golden comb.
Basset--the extra "t" was not added until the fifteenth century--is name found on Battle Abbey roll. William the conqueror's grand falconer, who accompanied him from Normandy, was Thurstine de Basset; from him are descended all who now bear the name. Cornwall and Devonshire have always been strongholds of the family, and the mines of Cornwall gave them princely incomes. Twp distinguished members were Sir Francis Bassett, vice-admiral, time of Charles I, and another Sir Francis, time of George II, who was made Baron Bassett as well as Baron of Dunstanville; in the time of Henry I, Osmund Bassett was judge of all Britain; so was his great-grandson, in the reign of Henry III. Sir Ralph Bassett attended Edward I, in the Welsh wars.
Alan Bassett's name appears in Magna Charta among those of the king's counselors; also his brother Thomas' name. Peter Bassett was biographer of Henry V. and his chamberlain and intimate friend. Fulk Bassett, Bishop of London, is remembered in the records of St. Paul's Cathedral on account of his gifts to that church. On the pavement of St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, is an epitaph to a Colonel Bassett.
The Bassetts have always taken prominent parts in the nation's development. They helped to subdue both forests and Indians, and were to the fore in Revolutionary times. Their war record goes back many centuries. There is hardly a state in the Union that cannot boast of a Bassett within its borders. The coat-of-arms is that borne by the falconer, Thurstine, de Basset, and are agent, a chevron between three bugle horns, sable,. Crest, a stag's head cabossed; between the attires, a cross filcher, all argent. Motto "Gwell angan na chywilydd:--:Death before dishonor." Another Bassett motto is "Pro Rege et Populo."
The chevrons in heraldry denotes stability. A stag's head cabossed, vigilance and celerity--that he upon whom the arms were first bestowed was not afraid to stand face to face with an enemy. The cross fitches is a cross sharpened at the base--the kind of cross borne by Crusaders, who placed it upright in the ground when making their daily devotions.
(I) William Bassett, immigrant ancestor, settled first in Plymouth and then in Duxbury, Massachusetts. He came with his wife, Elizabeth, in the ship "Fortune," in November, 1621. This ship brought the first white settler that the Pilgrims had seen since landing a year before. By occupation he was a blacksmith and gunsmith. He was doubtless well educated, for we know he had what was then considered a good library. In 1624 he was one of the committee in charge of fixing the boundaries after the land has been divided. He was a deputy to the general court from Duxbury in 1640-43-44-58. In 1651, with others, he became one of the first settlers and original proprietors of the town of Bridgewater and he lived in what is now West Bridgewater, and died there in 1667. He was twice married before coming to this country. His third wife was Elizabeth Tilden. Children of third wife: 1. William, mentioned below. 2. Elizabeth, born 1626; married Thomas Burgess. 3. Nathaniel, 1628. 4. Sarah, 1630. 5. Ruth, 1632. 6. Joseph, 1537.
(II) William (2), son of William (10, Bassett, was born in 1624, died in 1670. He settled in Sandwich, Massachusetts, and soon became prominent there, not only as a prosperous citizen and farmer, but in public life. He represented the town from time to time in the general court and held other places of trust. He married Mary, daughter of Hugh Burt, of Lynn. The descendants of William are numerous. The Bassets of Ashfield, Claremont, and many of those on the Cape and at Martha's Vineyard are descendants of William and his son, William. It is generally conceded that he married Mary Burt, of Lynn. William Bassett, who came at the age of nine and settled in Lynn, married Sarah Burt, a sister of Mary. These Williams were probably related. Children: 1. Mary, born November 21, 1654. 2. William, mentioned below.
(III) Colonel William (3), son of William (2) Bassett, was born in 1656. Governor Hinckley was his guardian after his father died. He married, October 9, 1675, Rachel Willison, of Taunton. Children: 1. Mary, born October 20, 1676. 2. Nathan, mentioned below. 3. Rachel, October 25, 1679. 4. William. 5. Jonathan. 6. Daughter.
(IV) Nathan, son of Colonel William (3) Bassett, was born in 16577, died at Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, November 16, 1743. His wife, Mary (Huckins) Bassett, died at Chilmark, November 8, 1743, aged seventy years. Children: 1. Ruth, born at Chilmark, February 17, 1691, died young. 2. Samuel, February 4, 1693, died November 20, 1770. 3. Cornelius, April 21, 1695, drowned January 12, 1714. 4. Mary, May 10, 1697, died March 8, 1785, unmarried. 5. Elizabeth, September 2, 1699, died young. 6. Nathan, February 14, 1701-02, drowned June 26, 1730. 7. William, December 17, 1702. 8. Barachiah, March 2, 1704. 9. John, April 25, 1706. 10. Hope, July 26, 1708. 11. Nathaniel, august 2, 1715. 12. Cornelius.
(V) William (4), son of Nathan Bassett, was born December 17, 1702, died December 24, 1782, at Chilmark. He married Ann Mayhew. Children: 1. Nathaniel, born November 16, 1727. 2. Jedidiah, July 17, 1729. 3. John. 4. Barakiah. 5. Nathan. 6. Mary. 7. Susannah. 8. Abijah. 9. Fortunatus. 10. Jedidiah, and 11. Ebenezer.
(VI) Nathan (2), son of William (4) Bassett, was born about 1740. He married, June 9, 1763, Mercy ----------. He married (second), March 17, 1776, Martha Bassett. She died November 21, 1790, aged thirty-five. He married (third), September 22, 1791, at Chilmark, Lydia, daughter of Major Peter and Sarah (Bassett) Norton. She died October 20, 1815, aged sixty-eight years. Children of first wife: 1. Peres, born at Chilmark, May 12, 1764. 2. Lydia, August 18, 1766. 3. Clement, April 17, 1768. 4. William, May 25, 1770. 5. Polly, June 28, 1773. Children of second wife: 6. Nathan, mentioned below. Perhaps others.
(VII) Nathan (3), son of Nathan (2) Bassett, was born at Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard, July 28, 1785. He settled at Lowville, New York, and conducted a hotel. He married (first) Rhoda Merry, born at Kent, Connecticut, April 26, 1781, died February 6, 1827, Laura Loomis, born at Westmoreland, Oneida County, New York, February 17, 1799, died at Deer River, 1893. Among his children was Nathan, mentioned below.
(VIII) Nathan (4), son of Nathan (3) Bassett, was born at Lowville, New York, May 8, 1813. He married, March 18, 1841, Clarissa Hall, born February 27, 1808, at Leyden, New York, daughter of Isaac and Ruth (Wetmore) Hall (see Hall IV). He was educated in the common schools. He went to work for his father in the hotel business and afterward learned the trade of carpenter. He was in business for a time as a builder, but preferred farming, and devoted most of his active life to that pursuit. Children: 1. Ellen Ruth, born January 23, 1844; married Abijah Merrill, and lives in Boonville, New York. 2. John Jay, mentioned below.
(IX) John Jay, son of Nathan (4) Bassett, was born in Leyden, New York, November 18, 1848, and was educated in the common schools and at the Watertown Commercial College, from which he graduated in the class of 1869. He worked on his father's farm and in the course of time took over the management. When his father died he succeeded to the homestead on which he has always lived. AS a farmer he was progressive and successful, but was not satisfied. His health was not good, and after a time he gave up farming and engaged in more congenial occupations. He has been treasurer of the Leyden Building Association and is at the present time one of the directors. He belongs to the Boonville Fair Association, In politics he is a Republican, taking an active part in party and public affairs. He was appointed postmaster at Talcottville in 1908 and his appointment has given general satisfaction. He is a member of Boonville Lodge, No. 165, Free and Accepted masons; Saline Chapter, Order of Eastern Star; Layden Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, of which he is master at the present time. he and his family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has an attractive home in the village of Talcottville. Kindly and courteous in manner, of genial disposition, he attracts many friends, and is held in high esteem by his townsmen. He married, December 28, 1870, Ella Beatrice Hall, born July 6, 1852, daughter of Major Isaac and Amelia (Thayer) Hall. Their only child died in infancy.
(The Hall Line).
John Hall, immigrant ancestor of the Halls of Wallingford, Connecticut, was born about 1605, in England, and came to American in 1633, and was a freeman of the Massachusetts Colony in 1634. His autograph signature is found in the colonial records of new Haven, Connecticut, in 1639. His name appears often in these records, mostly in reference to pieces of land. He fought in the Pequot War, and was freed from training in 1665, being then in his sixtieth year of age. Several of his sons joined a company and settled Wallingford in 1670. The father went with them at that time, or soon after, and became one of the original proprietors. He married Jean or Jane Woolen. She had lived with William Wilkes, in Boston, and probably came over with him, as he paid her fare and gave her three pounds a year for services in his family for five years. He also promised her ten pounds when she should marry, but did not do so, and her husband obtained it from his estate by litigation, an account of which is found on the records of New Haven.
He died March 3, 1676-77, making an oral will on his deathbed. Children: 1. John (twin), baptized August 9, 1646. 2. Sarah (twin), baptized August 9, 1646. 3. Richard, born July 11, 1645. 4. Samuel, May 21, 1646. 5. Daniel, about 1647, or 1648. 6. Thomas, March 25, 1649, mentioned below. 7. Jonathan, April 5, 1651. 8. David, March 17, 1652-53.
(II) Thomas, son of John Hall, was born March 25, 1649, in New Haven, died in Wallingford, September 17, 1731. He married, June 5, 1675, Grace --------------, died May 1, 1731. This was the first marriage in Wallingford. Children: 1. Abigail, born January 7, 1674. 2. Thomas, July 17, 1676. 3. Mary, November 22, 1677. 4. Jonathan, July 25, 1679, mentioned below. 5. Joseph, July 8, 1681. 6. Esther, February 23, 1682. 7. Benjamin, April 19, 1684. 8. Peter, December 28, 1686. 9. Daniel, January 27, 1689. 10. Rebecca, January 6, 1691. 11. Israel, October 8, 1696.
(III) Jonathan, son of Thomas Hall, was born July 25, 1679, died January 15, 1760. He lived in Wallingford. He married, May 12, 1703, Dinah Andrews, born 1684, died 1763. Children: 1. David, born October 16, 1705. 2. Jonathan, January 13, 1708. 3. Joseph, May 31, 1710. 4. Anna, January 18, 1713. 5. Isaac, July 11, 1714. 6. Phebe, February 12, 1717, died 1714, 1735. 7. Ezekiel, May 13, 1719. 8. Thankful, September 20, 1722. 9. Benjamin, October 20, 1726. 10. Temperance, April 16, 1727.
(IV) Dr. Isaac, son of Jonathan hall, was born July 11, 1714, in Wallingford, died March 7, 1781. Dr. Isaac Hall practiced medicine in Wallingford and was the first physician in Meriden. He took a deep interest in the church in Meriden. His name occurs first on the petition to the general court in 1768 and another in 1770, in behalf of the minority of the church who opposed the settlement of Rev. John Hubbard, who was accused of heresy and had been disowned by the consociation of Saybrook. He lived in the east part of the town. He married, November 5, 1739, Mary Morse of Moss, born April 22, 1716, died October 9, 1791, probably daughter of john and Elizabeth (Hall) Moss. Her father, John Moss, born November 10, 1682, was the son of John and Mary (Lathrop) Moss, son of John Moss, Esq., the distinguished immigrant ancestor, and one of the prime movers of originating the settlement of Wallingford. He was in New Haven as early as 1645, and frequently represented that town and in 1670 procured the incorporation of his new settlement as Wallingford, which he also represented. Her mother, Elizabeth (Hall) Moss, daughter of Samuel Hall, son of John hall, the immigrant, was born march 6, 1690, died January 27, 1754. She married John Moss, February 25, 1708, and had eight children. Children of Dr. and Mrs. Hall: 1. Mary, October 6, 1742. 2. Isaac, May 7, 1745. 3. Joel, April 3, 1747. 4. Esther, March 18, 1751. 5. Elizabeth, June 11, 1752. 6. Jonathan, mentioned below.
(V) Jonathan (2), son of Dr. Isaac Hall, was born December 11, 1757, in Meriden, died June 6, 1832. He married, May 14, 1777, Martha Collins, who died May, 1841, aged thirty-three. He was a physician and removed to New Hartford, New York, in 1787. Chlordane: 1. Isaac, born February 22, 1778, mentioned below. 2. Keturah, November 17, 1780. 3. Sylvia, September 18, 1782. 4. Jonathan, August 14, 1784. 5. Eli, May 14, 1786. 6. Ira, July 10, 1788. 7. Mary Moss, April 12, 1790. 8. Agnes Collins, August 6, 1793. 9. Amos Hull, February 12, 1796. 10, Jedediah Sanger, November 2, 1797. 11, Sarah T., May 6, 1799.
(VI) Isaac (20, son of Jonathan (2) Hall, was born February 22, 1778, and married Ruth Wetmore. They had a daughter, Clarissa, born February 27, 1808, married Nathan Bassett (see Bassett VIII).
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.