Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
surname Ballard was in use as early as the twelfth century from the very
beginning of the use of surnames in England. It is an ancient
baptismal name, and became a surname in the same way that most personal
or baptismal names became surnames at that time. The name of Ballard is
found in the Hundred Rolls.
The Ballard family at Horton and at Wadhurst, county Sussex, are of the same stock and bear the same arms; Sable a griffin sergeant ermine and gorged with a crown or. Crest: Demi-griffin with wings endorsed ermine beaked and legged or. The Ballards of Evesham, county Worcester, have the same arms slightly varied; Sable a griffin segreant ermine. Crest: A griffin's head erased ermine. This simple device may be the older. The same arms are borne by the family at Greenwich, Kent, and Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
From a visitation of Nottinghamshire in 1614 we get this pedigree: Philip Ballard, of Greenwich, Kent, married Joane, daughter of Edward Fitzwilliams.
William, son of Philip Ballard, lived at Southwell, Nottinghamshire, and married Ann Lunn, of Welley, Nottinghamshire.
Henry, son of William Ballard, lived also at Southwell; married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Townsend, of Testerton, Nottinghamshire. Children: 1. Thomas, born 1600. 2. Catherine. 3. Ann. 4. William (perhaps the immigrant, though no definite proof is found)/. 5. Philip. 6. Elizabeth.
(I) William Ballard, immigrant ancestor, was born in England as early as 1603. He settled in Salem, Massachusetts, coming on the ship "James" on July, 1635, stating his age as thirty-two, with wife Mary, aged twenty-six, children Hester, aged two, and John, aged one. He was a magistrate at Salem in 1638 and a proprietor of Salem, also of Lynn. He was admitted freeman, May 2, 1638, and was a member of the artillery company of Boston (the ancient and Honorable Artillery Company) in 1638. He died in 1639, leaving a nuncupative will proved by Nicholas Browne, and Gerard Spencer, Jr., leaving half of his estate to his wife, the remainder to be divided among his children. These children had land assigned them at Reading in 1644, though they appear to have settled elsewhere. He married (second) Elizabeth -----------, born in 1609. Children: 1. William, mentioned below. 2. Hester, born 1633; married Joseph Jenks, Jr., of Lynn, blacksmith, whose father was of Hammersmith, Lynn, had a patent for engines for water mills, and he had a contract to build fire engines for Boston in 1658. 3. John, born 1634. 4. Nathaniel, of Lynn, married, December 16, 1662, Rebecca Hudson (Hutson) and had eight or more children. 5. Elizabeth, born before 1641.
(II) William (2), son of William (I) Ballard, immigrant, probably came over in the ship "Mary and John," aged bout seventeen, and settled at Andover, and Newbury, Massachusetts; deposed 1662, aged about forty-five years. for various reasons the ages of immigrants in ship lists were understated. He died July 10, 1689. He married Grace-----------, who died April 27, 1694. Children: 1. John, born January 17, 1653-54. 2. Hannah, August 14, 1655. 3. Lydia, April 13, 1657. 4. William. 5. Abigail. (William Blunt, Henry Holt. Samuel and Joseph Butterfield, and John Spaulding were sons-ion-law).
(III) William (3), son of William (2) Ballard, was born at Andover. He had sons Enoch, John, Peleg and Thomas.
(IV) Thomas, son of William (3) Ballard, was born at Andover, Massachusetts.
(V) Thomas (2), son or nephew of Thomas (1) Ballard, settled early in New York state. He married Anna Davis. He was a soldier in the Revolution, first lieutenant of the thirteenth Regiment, Fourth Company, of Saratoga, New York, enlisted June 22, 1778, (see vol. I, page 175, Calendar of Historical Manuscripts).
Thomas Ballard was living at Ballston, New York, the only head of a family of this surname, when the first federal census was taken. He then had in his family three males over sixteen, one under that age and four females. The family states that he lived to be more than one hundred years old. he died in Wayne county, New York. Children: 1. Rufus. 2. Thomas, mentioned below. 3. Adolphus. 4. Dorcas, married ---------- Strane, and went to Illinois. 5. Anna, died unmarried. 6. Polly, married ------------ Burtis. 7. Narcissus, married ------------ Hantes. 8. Harriet, married ------------ Cronkrite.
(VI) Thomas (3), son of Lieutenant Thomas (2) Ballard, was born probably in New York State. He married (first) Anna Force, (second) Mercy Slade. Children: 1. 1. Adaline. 2. Maria. 3. Rhoda. 4. Volney, had children: i. Thomas, ii. Volney, iii. Anna, iv. Addle. 5. Homer, mentioned below. 6. Milton. 7. Betsey.
(VII) Homer, son of Thomas (3) and Mercy (Slade) Ballard, was born in LaFargeville, New York, May 22, 1816, died October 12, 1887. He lived at Mexico, New York, where he followed farming throughout the active years of his life. He married Almira D., born September 13, 1822, died April 28, 1875, daughter of Edmund G. and Emily Ely, the former born September 3-, 1797, and the latter April 3, 1800. Children: 1. LaGrange, born December 20, 1842; residing in Mexico, New York. 2. Homer LaRue, born January 11, 1854, died March 5, 1854. 3. Jay Olin, see forward.
(VIII) Jay Olin, son of Homer and Almira D. (Ely) Ballard, was born in Mexico, New York, January 8, 1858. He attended the public schools and academy in Mexico. For ten years he was a traveling salesman, from 1878 to 1888, for a dry goods concern and traveled extensively in New York and New England. In 1888 he engaged in the woolen business at Malone. He has made a specialty of the manufacture of pants and has built up a fine reputation and very flourishing business. He does business under the name of Malone woolen Mills, or J. O. Ballard & Company (incorporated), of which Mr. Ballard is president. He was for ten years vestryman of St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church; member of Northern constellation Lodge,, Free and accepted Masons; of Northern constellation chapter, No. 28, Royal Arch Masons; of Franklin Commandery, No. 60, Knights Templar, the Knights of Pythias, the Malone Club, the Malone Winter Sports Club and is president of the Malone Gun Club. He was elected captain of Company K, First Infantry, New York National Guard, February 22, 1907. In politics he is a Republican. He married in 1886, Elizabeth Caroline, youngest daughter of Dr. Calvin Skinner.
LEWIS. This is one of the oldest names in English history and one of the most numerous and distinguished in American history. It is claimed by many genealogists that the name was originally spelled Louis, and was known in France as early as the eighth century, when that country was a part of the roman empire. Genealogists also attempt to establish the fact that all of the Lewis name in America descended from one common stock of Huguenot refugees, who fled from France, on the revocation of the "Edict of Nantes" in 1685; but the records show that in many counties of England there were many of the name to be found centuries before that event, and indeed there were many of them in Virginia previous to 1685. The name of Louis in continental Europe and Lewis in England is too old and too numerous to be traced to a common origin. The name doubtless had a common origin, but it would be worse than useless to attempt to trace it. Indeed, the name Lewis is too numerous in America, too widely dispersed, and traceable to too many different sources to admit of any "common origin" theory even here.
It is asserted that General Robert Lewis was the first of the name in America known to history of genealogy. He was a native of Brecon, Wales, and came here in 1635, with his wife Elizabeth, sailing from Gravesend, England, in April of that year, and settling in Gloucester County, Virginia. These facts are all denied and even his existence is doubted. But the proofs are substantial, and he may be accepted as a fact. The records of Massachusetts Bay Colony name Humphrey Lewis, in May, 1629.
William Lewis and his wife and only son William came to Boston in 1632, in the ship "Lion." The family is exceedingly numerous in New York, there being several Lewis Associations and a periodical published called The Lewis Letter. In the Mohawk valley David Lewis kept an inn near Schenectady, in 1713. Lewis County, New York, is named in honor of Major-General Morgan Lewis of French ancestry, son of Francis Lewis, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was a famous general of the Revolutionary and 1812 wars with Great Britain, and governor of New York, 1804-07, defeating Aaron burr.
(I) Joseph Lewis was born October 26, 1766; died at Northville, New York, October 21, 1842. He resided in Hoosie, New York, for a time, then settled in Northville. He married Hannah Gifford, died at Northville March 1, 1838, and had issue.
(II) Hiram, son of Joseph and Hannah (Gifford) Lewis, was born at Northampton, New York, January 22, 1804; died December 22, 1857. He began life as a farmer, and later operated a large tannery at Beaver Falls, New York, but after several years, the tanning business undermined his health, compelling him to return to the farm. His remaining days were passed on the same farm where he began his business life. During his years in Beaver Falls he had kept it under his control, and now he returned there to end his days. In religious conviction and preference he was a Baptist, and in politics ha Democrat. At various times he held the offices of supervisor, highway commissioner and overseer of the poor. He was a charter member of the Golden Rule Lodge, No., 384, F. and A. M. He was interested in the local military company, a part of the State National Guard, and rose through the various ranks of service to the captaincy. His life was a busy one, well spent, and much successful endeavor was crowded into his fifty-three years. He married (first) Minerva Ressequie, and had three children: 1. Mariah B., born October 10, 1832. 2. Celestia, September 22, 1835. 3. Hannah, born in Northville, New York. He married (Second) Margaret Doige, born December 15, 1817; died January 23, 1889. She was born in East Greenwich, Washington County, New York, daughter of John Doige, born in Scotland, March 15, 1783. He came to the United States, and settled in East Greenwich, but afterwards removed to the town of Hope, Hamilton County, New York. He lived for a time in Lewis County, and is credited with felling the first tree in what was then the county seat, Martinsburg. Most of his life he was a farmer, but in his later years kept a hotel. He ended his days at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Margaret Lewis. He was a Scotch Presbyterian, and after the formation of the Republican Party supported their candidate. He married Margaret Dunn, about 1813, and had three children: 1. Margaret dodge, born December 15, 1813. 2. William, December 15, 1813, and 3. Janet, October 15, 1815.
Children of Hiram and Margaret (Doige) Lewis, all born in Northville, New York, except Ella are: 1. Margaret J., born September 20, 1841; died June 14, 1845. 2. Matilda J., September 1, 1843; died May 31, 1845. 3. James P., February 14, 1845 (see forward). 4. Helen L., February 23, 1850, married Charles Nuffer. 5. Ella V., at Beaver Falls, New York, December 6, 1854.
(III) James P., only son of Hiram and Margaret (Doige) Lewis, was born in the town of Northampton, Fulton county, New York, on the home farm of about one mile from Northville, February 14, 1845. He was educated in the public schools of the town, but the death of his father necessitated his leaving school at the age of fifteen years and assuming the management of the home farm, owned by the estate, which in spite of his youth he manfully and faithfully conducted until reaching his twenty-first year, attending part of the winters the town school. Being thrown thus early upon his own resources developed his character and a wise judgment that has made him the successful business man of to-day. A serious accident, when he was twenty-one, changed somewhat his life plans. After recovering from a broken ankle he entered a foundry and machine shop, remaining five years and mastering that trade. After his marriage, in 1870, he engaged in the tanning business at Beaver Falls, New York, in company with a brother-in-law. Removing to Beaver Falls in 1871, he remained there nine years. He held this position nine years, excepting that for two years Mr. Lewis conducted the tannery store for his own account. About the year 1881 he entered the wood pulp business, then in its infancy, which has been his principal and most successful undertaking. The early habits of self-reliance gained in farm management, his mechanical ability developed in the machine shop, his business experience acquired in the tannery, now bore legitimate fruit, producing the well-equipped man of affairs. The Beaver Falls Pulp Company, with a mill and plant costing $25,00o, was not a financial success during its first five years of existence. His partners becoming discouraged and wishing to retire, Mr. Lewis, in February, 1886, purchased their entire interests and became sole owner. Believing in the future of the pulp industry, he made needed improvements in machinery and introduced new methods, and at the end of two years had so increased the profits and demand for his product that he built another mill, known as the Riverside, the original plant being known as the Pine Grove mill. In 1899, in company with J. N. Slocum (a brother of his wife. He built at Beaver Falls the first paper mill erected there. This mill, operated as "Lewis and Slocum," was built at a heavy expense, and is still in successful operation. In 1892 the J. P. Lewis Company was formed, with another Brother-in-law, H. E. Slocum, as silent partner; another paper mill was built and successfully operated until 1901, when the plant burned. In six months the mill was rebuilt on a large scale, and in successful operation. In 1890 he organized the National Wood Pulp Board Company, an organization composed of about fifty different mills, with official headquarters in new York City. He managed the affairs of this corporation for six years, when it was dissolved by mutual consent. In 1902 the paper mills owned by Lewis and Slocum and the J. P. Lewis Company had so gained on the production of the pulp mill that anew pulp mill was a necessity.
With J. N. Slocum, and a nephew, H. I. LeFevre, he formed the Lewis, Slocum and LeFevre Company, and built a large pulp mill, which carried their firm name. This mill, since thoroughly overhauled and equipped with new and improved machinery, is still in successful operation. During the year 1905 the J. P. Lewis company built what is known as the "Brick Mill," the material being reinforced concrete and concrete brick, made upon the ground. This is the largest of all the company mills, and is a successful operated plant. The mills combined have a capacity of forty tons of finished product daily. At a time when the market was depressed, it became necessary to manufacture the mill product into finished material. To this end the Lewis Manufacturing company was formed, and under the management of a son, Harry S. Lewis, continued until 1909, when it was merged with the J. P. Lewis Company.
The necessities of the pulp and paper mills compelled the purchase of vast areas of timberland and the several Lewis companies own either the land or timber on about 25,000 acres. The business has been very successful, and has fully justified the confidence and wise judgment of Mr. Lewis, when in the face of almost a failure, he purchased the interests of his original partners and boldly launched his bark upon the seas of a practically untried venture. The enterprise mentioned do not by any means give the full measure of his activity. He is first vice-president and chairman of the executive committee of the Thousand Island Park Association, which conducts several hotels and stores on the St. Lawrence River. the executive committee has charge of the general business of the association, which, was taken in charge of the present board, headed by Mr. Lewis, when the association was practically bankrupt, but now brought to a successful condition of operation and a high standard of excellence in the character of their summer resorts.
There is no inland summer resorts in the country that has a higher reputation or larger patronage than "Thousand Island Park" on the St. Lawrence River.
Another enterprise is the Beaver Manufacturing Company, of Buffalo, New York, a stock company under the management of his son, H. S. Lewis, and William McGlashen, the latter being the resident manager. This company furnishes an outlet for a part of the Beaver Falls mills product, the raw material being shipped to Buffalo, where it is turned into the finished product.
For four years subsequent to 1890 Mr. Lewis was trustee for a Boston Company that had failed in business. He gave one week of each month to the affairs of the concern, spending one week in Boston and one in New York City, also in Connecticut with the National Pulp Board Association. At the end of four years he had unraveled their tangled affairs, placed them again in successful operation and then resigned his trust. This was done a time when his own personal business would have been considered by most men to have been even more than enough to occupy every waking moment.
Mr. Lewis was largely responsible for the building of the Lowville and Beaver River Railroad, in 1904, owing to the large amount of freight shipped over the road by the various companies owned or controlled by him. These companies were the largest original stockholders in the country. Mr. Lewis was president of the company during the two years of its construction, and is still one of the managing directors, of the road.
He is a director of the Carthage National Bank, of Carthage, New York, and bears his share of the responsibilities of that institution. In church work he has always been interested and active. His membership is held in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Beaver Falls, where for over thirty years he has been superintendent of the Sunday School. Church benevolent and educational work also claims his interest. He is president of the Northern New York Foundation Fund Association, which has for its object the raising and disbursement, for charitable purposes, of a million dollar fund; vice-president and a member of the executive committee of the Northern New York Development League, and has been for several years trustee of Cazenovia Seminary, of Cazenovia, New York. He finds social relaxation with the Black River Valley Club, of Watertown, New York.
Politically Mr. Lewis was originally a Democrat, but for many years has acted with the Republican Party. He was justice of the peace for twelve years, supervisor of the town of Croghan one term, and for several years has been a member of the Black River state water commission, receiving his original appointment from Governor Roswell P. Flower. On September 27, 1864, he received from Governor Horatio Seymour, a captain's commission in Company I, Twenty-sixth Regiment, thirteenth Brigade, Fifth Division of the New York State National Guard, and served with the Fulton Company for several years. Believing as he does, that every man is his brother, he has never connected with any secret orders or fraternities.
He married, January 5, 1870, at Northville, New York, Julia E. Slocum, born December 23, 1844, at Northville, only daughter of Humphrey and Caroline (Newton) Slocum. Mr. Slocum was for several terms assessor of his town. He has other children, John N. and Elias Slocum. The children of James P. and Julia E. (Slocum) Lewis are: 1. Carrie Leonora, born December 3, 1871, died April 25, 1872. 2. Grace Edna, May 20, 1877, educated at home school, Cazenovia Seminary, Syracuse University, graduating at Wellesley College, class of 1902. 3. Henry S., August 5, 1882, educated in the home schools, entered his father's employ, worked his way through different degrees of promotion, is now general manger of the various Lewis companies, and partner in the Beaver Manufacturing Company, of Buffalo. He married Mary P. Pitcher, of Easthampton, New York, and has a daughter, Mary Frances, born November 5, 1909.
(The Slocum Line)
(I) The first Slocum in America, common ancestor of all the Slocums in America whose lineage dates to the seventeenth century, was Anthony Slocombe (Anthony Slocum), of England, who is recorded as one of the original forty-six "first and ancient" purchasers, A. D. 1637, of the territory of Cohaunet, which was incorporated March 3, 1639, was " Taunton in New Plymouth," now Massachusetts. He married ---------- Harvey.
(II) Giles, son of Anthony and ------- (Harvey) Slocum, was born in England and settled in the town of Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island, in 1638. Giles and his wife, Joan were early members of the society of Friends, and it may be noted that there are many families in the different families that descend from Giles Slocum, that are members of that society. The Friends' records of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, show that "Joan Slocum, the wife of old Giles she dyed at Portsmouth the 31st 6 mo. 1679." No record has been found of her maiden name not of the time and place of their marriage.
(III) Eleazer, son of Giles and Joan Slocum, was born 10 mo. 25, 1664. He married Elephel Fitzgerald.
(IV) Eleazer (2), son of Eleazer and Elephel (Fitzgerald) Slocum, was born in Dartmouth Township, Bristol County, Massachusetts, January 20, 1693. He married Deborah Smith.
(V) John, son of Eleazer (2) and Deborah (Smith) Slocum, was born in Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, August 4, 1717. He married Deborah Almy, of an old pioneer family.
(VI) Eleazer, son of John and Deborah (Almy) Slocum, was born in Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, May 15, 1744. He married Anstance Viall. Eleazer Slocum removed to Dutchess County, New York, thence to Easton, Washington County, and shortly after the year 1800 settled in Fulton County.
(VII) Joseph, son of Eleazer and Anstance (Viall) Slocum, was born in Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, January 30, 1766. He followed his father's several removes and finally settled in Fulton County. He was a man of large stature and great strength, successful in his undertakings, and was long remembered for his good qualities of mind and heart. He married Elizabeth Wright.
(VIII) Humphrey, son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Wright) Slocum, was born October 20, 1805. He married Caroline Newton.
(IX) Julia E., daughter of Humphrey and Caroline (Newton) Slocum, married James P. Lewis. See Lewis.
HEPBURN. The name is of Scottish origin and does not appear in America previous to the eighteenth century. It has borne no considerable part in the settlement of various localities of the United States, and is still worthily borne by leading citizens in various walks of life. In northern New York it was early planted and is still found in considerable numbers.
(I) Peter Hepburn, probably a son of Patrick Hepburn, was born at Abbeymilne, Scotland, and was a resident of Stratford, Connecticut, as early as 1736, in which year the town granted him permission to erect a warehouse on the wharf. This would indicate he was interest in shipping, and probably ina mercantile business. He died at Stratford, in 1742. His wife, Sarah Hubbell, of Newton, Connecticut, was born September 12, 1711, daughter of James and Patience Hubbell, formerly of Stratford and later of New Milford, Connecticut. Children: 1. Joseph, mentioned below. 2. Peter, born April 28, 1732. 3. George, May 12, 1735. 4. Sarah, January 24, 1737.
(II) Joseph (I), eldest child of Peter and Sarah (Hubbell) Hepburn, was born October 11, 1729, probably in Stratford, and resided in that town, where he married, in November, 1751, Eunice, daughter of Judson and Eunice (Lewis) Burton, and granddaughter of Solomon Burton, an early resident of Stratford. Children: 1. Joseph, mentioned below. 2. Silas, born February, 1756. 3. Lewis, October, 1763. 4. Patrick, February, 1766. 5. George, September, 1768.
(III) Joseph (20, eldest child of Joseph (1) and Eunice (Burton) Hepburn, was born in July, 1752, in Stratford, and made his home for many years in Hotchkisstown,, now Westville, a suburb of New Haven, Connecticut. He removed to Middlebury, Vermont, where he was a farmer. He married Hannah Lobdell, born June 4, 1755, daughter of John and Ruth (Sherwood) Lobdell. Children: 1. Patrick, born 1775, died 1850, in West Parishville, New York. 2. Almena, born 1778. 3. Roderick, 1780, died in Madrid, New York, 1871. 4. Betsey, born 1782. 5. Villeroy, 1783, died in Colton, New York, 1847. 6. Marcia, born 1786. 7. Mertilla, 1787. 8. Sudrick, 1789. 9. Hannah, 1792. 10. Joseph, born 1794, died 1795. 11. Pliny, born 1796, died in Colton, 1866. 12. Zina E.
(IV) Zina Earl, youngest child of Joseph (2) and Hannah (Lobdell) Hepburn, was born in 1798, in Middlebury, and died in 1874 at Colton, New York. With his brother Pliny he took up a farm at what was known as Hepburn's Point, on the St. Lawrence River, four miles below the village of Waddington. They were dispossessed in 1832 because they were unable to make payment upon their contract of purchase. At the time of dispossession they had on hand 800 bushels of wheat, 1,200 bushels of oats and 1,600 bushels of corn, together with a good stock of cattle. They were rich in everything a farmer can produce, and yet the obtaining of money was impossible. No railroads were in existence and their only market was Montreal, with which there was no established communication. The only way of getting their grain to Montreal was to load it upon rafts and take them down the river. About two out of three rafts were destroyed by the rapids in the river, and such means of reaching the market were almost prohibitive. They moved to Colton, New York, purchased from George Parish adjoining farms, and transported with them enough grain to last them for about two years. In addition, the sale of grain enabled them to help, and in exchange for materials to build houses and barns, and clear sufficient ground to obtain a start in life. Zina E. Hepburn was a prominent member and officer in the Universalist Church, held many local offices, and was prominent in the administration of the affairs of his town. He married, in 1829, Beulah Gray, born 1807, in Madrid, New York, died 1900, in Colton, daughter of Uel Gray, a farmer of Madrid. Children: 1. Chloe I., born 1830, died in Colton, 1866.
2. George W., born 1832. 3. Cordelia A., born 1834, married, 1860, Dr. C. B. Fisher, died in Colton, 1873. 4. Edwin B., born 1837. 5. Hawley s., born 1840, died at Ogdensburg, 1910. 6. Henrietta B., born 1843. 7. Alonzo B., mentioned below. 8. Herbert M., born 1849.
(V) Alonzo Barton, fourth son of Zina E. and Buelah (Gray) Hepburn, was born July 24, 1846, in Colton. After attending the public schools he prepared for college at St. Lawrence Academy, Potsdam, New York, and Fallen Seminary, Fulton, New York. In 1867 he matriculated at Middlebury college, Vermont, from which he was graduated in 1871 with the degree of a. B., and subsequently received the degree of LL.D. After leaving college he became professor of mathematics at St. Lawrence Academy, and was subsequently principal of the Ogdensburg Educational Institute. He was admitted to the bar and engaged in the practice of law in his native town. He was appointed school commissioner for the second district of St. Lawrence County, and resigned this position to take his seat in the New York Assembly in January, 1875. This position he filled for five consecutive terms, serving on various committees, including those of railroads, insurance, judiciary, and ways and means, beside other important committees. During this service he gave much attention to canals, railroads, insurance and other commercial and financial interests. As chairman of the insurance committee he introduced and secured the passage of many important measures, including the law prohibiting the forfeiture of life insurance policies after the payment of three annual payments, and establishing a surrender value for policies upon application. In 1879 he was chairman of the special railroad investigating committee of the assembly, known as the Hepburn committee, which was instituted at the instance of the New York Chamber of Commerce, New York Board of Trade and Transportation, and other commercial bodies of the state, which led to the act creating the present Board of Railroad Commissioners. In 1880 Mr. Hepburn was appointed by Governor Cornell superintendent of the State Banking Department, and his administration of force was singularized by the improved service to the public and great credit to himself. As the direct result of the exceptional ability shown by his three years' service in this position, he was designated as receiver to wind up the affairs of the Continental Life Insurance Company, of New York City. Subsequent to this he was appointed National Bank Examiner for the cities of New York and Brooklyn, and again demonstrated his exceptional ability as a financier, especially shown by his practical and decisive action in the notorious Sixth National and Lenox Hill Bank frauds, securing the conviction of the principals in those frauds, and the retribution of misappropriated funds. His appointment by President Harrison as Comptroller of the Currency was a natural and happy recognition of his ability and rectitude, and it was justified by his course in that position. His suggestions and forceful attitude in relation to the issues of credit currency by the national banks and in the avoidance of the use of clearing house and other makeshifts, produced most excellent results. Upon his retirement from the office of comptroller, Mr. Hepburn was made president of the third national Bank of the city of New York, and continued in that capacity until its consolidation with the national city Bank in 1897, when he became vice-president of the reorganized institution. He resigned therefrom to become president of the Chase National Bank, of New York, in 1899, in which position he still continues. Under his management this institution has increased its capital from $1,000,000 to $5,000,000, and has a surplus of $5,000,000, with undivided profits amounting to over $2,500,000. All of the above increase was from earnings solely. The deposits of the Chase range from $110,000,000 to $125,0900,000.
Throughout the world, Mr. Hepburn is recognized as a leading authority on economical and financial questions, and his opinions are frequently sought. His strong character, great mental acumen and invincible will power, combined with thoroughly systematic methods, have made him one of the prominent men of his time. He is the author of "The History of Coinage and Currency," a work requiring much labor, and an invaluable authority in its field; also of "Artificial Waterways and Commercial Development." He is a frequent contributor to periodicals and magazines on economic subjects, and his articles evince a wide range of literary research. In 1906 St. Lawrence University, of Canton, New York, conferred upon him the degree of D. C. L. Mr. Hepburn's social popularity is co-equal with his standing as a business man, and he is identified with many clubs and associations. He is a director of the Bankers' Trust Company, Columbia Trust Company, Fidelity Trust Company of Newark (New Jersey), New York Life Insurance Company, First National Bank, First Security Company, Chase National Bank, American Agricultural Chemical Company, American Car and Foundry Company, American Cotton Oil Company, Safety Car Heating and Lighting Company, Union Typewriter Company, United Cigar Manufacturers' Company, Sears, Roebuck & Company, of Chicago. He is a member of the following clubs: University, Metropolitan, Union League, City, Barnard, Economic and Academy of Political Science. He is a member of the St. Andrew's, New England, Pilgrims, Burns, and Germanistic societies. He is a trustee and treasurer of the Children's aid Society, a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, and the New York Chamber of Commerce. He is an avid sportsman, and a member of the ------------ Country Club, the Blooming ------ Hunting and fishing Club, and other gentlemen's associations.
He married (first), December 10, 1873, Harriet A. Fisher, of St. Albans, Vermont, who died December 28, 1881. Mr. Hepburn married (second), July 14, 1887, Emily L. Eaton, of Montpelier, Vermont. Children of the first marriage: 1. Harold Barton, died at the age of sixteen years. 2. Charles Fisher, born 1878, residing in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There are two children of the second marriage: 3. Beulah, born 1890. 4. Cordelia, 1894.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.