Family History of Northern, NY
Cutter, A. M.
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Pam
surname Ames is identical with Eames, and various immigrants came to New
England among the pioneers, and their descendants have been numerous
throughout the country. Branches of the Massachusetts family settled
among the first in Vermont, and a dozen or more of the Ames family
served in the Revolution from Vermont. In 1790 William, Elijah, Barney,
Barzillai and Samuel Ames were heads of families in Shoreham, Vermont.
(I) Jeremiah Ames, of this Shoreham family, was born in Vermont, July 16, 1771, died February 21, 1844, at Morristown, New York. He settled in Herkimer County and afterward removed in 1825, to Black Lake, Morristown, New York. He followed farming throughout his active live. He married Sally Platt, born September 1778, died March 18, 1841. Children 1. Deborah, born November 18, 1798, died September 2, 1879. 2. Nancy, September 16, 1800, died February 7, 1888. 3. Sally, September 28, 1803, died August 19, 1858. 4. Charlotte, January 27, 1806, died September 5, 1869. 5. Joseph P., February 19, 1808, died August 9, 1886. 6. Jeremiah, April 14, 1810, mentioned below. 7. Asa, May 2, 1812, died September 27, 1848. 8. William K., November 109, 1814, died April 26, 1815.
(II) Jeremiah (2), son of Jeremiah (1) Ames, was born in Vermont, April 14, 1810, died in Morristown, September 14, 1879. He came with his parents to New York when a boy, and received a common school education in the schools of Herkimer County. Afterward he went to Morristown with the family, and lived there the remainder of his life. When a young man, he taught school for a time and was always interested in educational affairs, though his own education was largely self-acquired. He followed farming through his active life and was also justice of the peace and attorney-at-law. In politics he was a Democrat; in religion a Presbyterian. He married (first), in 1830, Lucy Haggart, born May 21, 1813, die August 6, 1855.
He married (second), December 18, 1856, Caroline, born in Potsdam, 1827, daughter of Francis and Sally (Aikens) Whitney. She is now living in Morristown with her son. Her grandfather, Nathaniel Aikens, was born in Scotland, came to this country, and served in the Revolutionary War. Children of first wife: 1. Thomas, born May 26, 1836, died 1839. 2. Hannah, August 15, 1838. 3. Sally, January 18, 1840, died December 2, 1868. 4. Catherine, March 29, 1843, died September 21, 1905. 6. Twin girl, died June 6, 1848. 7. Ann Elizabeth, born April 2, 1848, died September 7, 1857. 8. Jeremiah Gilbert, October 25, 1850. Child of second wife: 9. Franklin Whitney, mentioned below.
(III) Franklin Whitney, son of Jeremiah (2) Ames, was born at Morristown, New York, July 24, 1864. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and in the Morristown high school. He was for several years a clerk in a general store, but he has devoted himself to agriculture, and is one of the most prominent farmers of this section. He has made a specialty of breeding thoroughbred Holstein cattle and fine horses. He is interested in the French Coach Horse Company, of Hammond and Morristown, New York. In politics he is a Democrat; he has served on the town committee of his party as an inspector of election, has served as president of board of education of Morristown high school, and was appointed deputy collector of customs at Morristown in May, 1893, an office he still holds. He is vice-president and director of the Frontier national Bank of Morristown; trustee of the St. Lawrence County Savings Bank of Ogdensburg; member of Black Lake Lodge, No. 319, Free Masons; St. Lawrence Lodge, Knights of Pythias; Independent Lodge of Foresters. He is an elder of the Presbyterian Church. He married, in 1885, Vira Eysaman, of Morristown, daughter of Edward and Eliza (McCoryrick) Russell, but when a small child went to live with James Eysaman, adopting that name. Children: 1. Jeremiah Leland, born at Morristown, August 20, 1886; was educated in the public schools, at the Clarkson School at Potsdam, and at St. Lawrence University; is a civil engineer by profession, with his office at Albany, New York. 2. Leslie Russell, born at Morristown, February 13, 1890; educated in the public schools and at the Clarkson School of Technology at Potsdam.
CRANE. The surname Crane has an ancient English history, dating back to the Hundred Rolls of the thirteenth century, and was probably a Norman local name earlier. Its similarity to the name of a bird has caused some of the families to adopt the crane as a symbol of their coasts-of-arms, and indeed some branches of the Crane family may have adopted the emblem before taking the surname. The coats-of-arms of the Crane family of Suffolk, England, to which some, if not all, the American families belong, is: Argent, a fesse between three crosses crosslet fitchee gules. Crest: A crane proper. There have been many distinguished Englishmen of this name from the earliest use of the surname. There were a number of pioneers of this family in Massachusetts and Connecticut before 1650.
(I) Henry Crane, born about 1635, was an inhabitant of Wethersfield, Connecticut, engaged in business with his brother, Benjamin, as a farmer, and tanner and currier of leather. He was there as early as 1655. Soon after 1658 he probably removed to Guilford, where in 1660 he is recorded as a planter. In October, 1663, he was one of twelve planters who located in Killingworth as a settler, and his home was on the east side of the town, near the line. He was the first schoolmaster in Killingworth, and was admitted a freeman September 24, 1669; was deputy to the general court 1675, and many years afterward; lieutenant of the train band 1676; justice of the peace several years; assistant, 1665-66.
He became captain of militia and frequently served on committees of importance. He died April 22, 1711. He married (first) Concurrence Meigs, who died October 9, 1708, daughter of John Meigs, of Guilford; (second) December 26, 17090, Deborah, widow of Henry Champion, of Lyme. She married (third), Richard Towner. Children, first three recorded at Guilford, the rest in Killingworth: 1. John, born about 1664. 2. Elizabeth, about 1666. 3. Concurrence, December 27, 1667. 4. Mary, August 23, 1670. 5. Phebe, December 24, 1672. 6. Theophilus, January 5, 1674, mentioned below. 7. Abigail, April 3, 1676, died young. 8. Henry, October 25, 1677. 9. Mercy, June 21, 1680. 10. Nathaniel, August 7, 1682.
(II) Sergeant Theophilus Crane, son of Henry Crane, was born in Killingworth, January 5, 1674, and died October 24, 1732. He settled in Killingworth, on the homestead. He married, December 5, 1699, Margaret Lane, who died May 1, 1741. Children: 1. Nathaniel, born January 18, 1701, mentioned below. 2. Theophilus, December 20, 1705. 3. Elizabeth, December 20, 1705. 4. Mary, March 4, 1707. 5. Margaret, September 26, 1710. 6. Jemima, April 23, 1713. 7. John, March 21, 1720.
(III) Nathaniel, son of Theophilus Crane, was born January 18, 1701, and settled on a farm in Killingworth, given him by his father. He married, May 2, 1723, Eunice Kelsey. Children: 1. Samuel, born February 10, 1724. 2. Margaret, December 26, 1725. 3. Elisha, August 28, 1728. 4. Anna, December 26, 1730. 5. Theophilus, May 3, 1733. 6. Ezra, March 6, 1735, mentioned below. 7. Elizabeth, April 2, 1742. 8. Simeon, in the Revolution. 9. Eunice.
(IV) Ezra, son of Nathaniel Crane, was born in Killingworth, March 6, 1735. He was sergeant in the campaign of 1759, in the Second Connecticut Regiment; in the campaign of 1760 was in the same company; in the Revolution was with the Seventh Regiment, Connecticut line, Colonel Heman Swift, commanding, June 27 to December 9, 1780, in service about Peekskill. He was a shoemaker by trade, and died in Vermont. He married Prudence Leigh, who survived him, and died in Middlebury, Vermont, aged about ninety-three, at the home of her son James. Children: 1. James, born 1671. 2. Martin, September 5, 1763. 3. Jeremiah, February 18, 1766, mentioned below. 4. Belden. 5. Ezra. 6. Simeon, February 14, 1773. 7. Asa. 8. Aaron. 9. Calvin. 10. Prudence. 11. William, May 10, 1782.
(V) Jeremiah, son of Ezra Crane, was born February 18, 1766, and died November 11, 1814. He married Martha Goodrich, born April 27, 1767, died July 4, 1836. Children: 1. Stephen, born April 1, 1789. 2. Elon, February 19, 1791. 3. Aaron, December 30, 1793. 4. Orrin, November 20, 1794, mentioned below. 5. Ammon, May 4, 1797. 6. Ansel, November 26, 1800. 7. William, June 24, 1803. 8. Thurii, May 5, 1805. 9. Calvin, October 19, 1808.
(VI) Orrin, son of Jeremiah Crane, was born November 20, 1794, and died August, 1854. He was a drummer in the War of 1812. He went from Vermont and settled in Canton, New York. He married, January 11, 183-, Evalina, daughter of Elihu and Prudence (Crane) Norton. Children: 1. Martha. 2. William Ezra, mentioned below. 3. Dency. 4. Laura.
(VII) William Ezra, son of Orrin Crane, was born in Canton, New York, October 22, 1833. He was educated in the public schools, and worked on his father's farm until he came of age, when he left home and for some years was employed ina brickyard in Ogdensburg, and in a saw mill in Morley. He finally engaged in the produce business in Rensselaer Falls, on his own account. Much of his time has been devoted to public business. For forty-four years he has been constable of the town and for more than thirty years deputy sheriff of the county. He was the first truant officer of the town of Canton, and has held this office to the present time. He is a member of Fellowship Lodge, No. 749, Free Masons, of Rensselaer Falls.
William Ezra Crane married, April 27, 1860, Viola L., born at Denmark, Lewis County, New York, March 28, 1844, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Howe) Lake. Children: 1. Orrin, born May 9, 1862. 2. Hattie, born May 19, 1869, died February 25, 1906; married Elam E. Hilligas, who is in the postal service; child, Hattie, born January 20, 1892. 3. Otis T., born May 31, 1876; ticket agent at Rensselaer Falls; married, December 29, 1897, Martha M., daughter of Thomas and Melissa (Burritt) Smithers, of Oswegatchie; child, Burritt lake, born September 4, 1907. 4. Orrin Daniel, mentioned below.
(VIII) Orrin Daniel, son of William Ezra Crane, was born in Rensselaer Falls, in Canton, St. Lawrence County, New York, May 9, 1862. He attended the public schools of his native place, and in 1879 came to Ogdensburg, where he was employed as clerk in various stores. He was in the employ of the firm of Calder & Murphy twelve years, and of W. H. Young, four years. He has been in the retail clothing business in Ogdensburg on his own account since 1895, and has achieved a marked success. He is a director of the Business Men's Association of his native town; member of Elijah White Lodge, No. 590, Odd Fellows, of Ogdensburg, and has been noble grand; is past chief patriarch of Ogdensburg Encampment, No. 32; past commander of Canton Amaranth, No. 12, of Ogdensburg; member of Council No. 641, Royal Arcanum, of Ogdensburg. He belongs to the Fortieth Separate Company, National Guard, State of New York; to the Ogdensburg Club and St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican. He married, in 1883, Nellie Jane, daughter of Alonzo Haven, of Oswegatchie. Children: 1. Guy Henry, born in Ogdensburg, April 23, 1885, educated in the schools and academy of Ogdensburg. 2. Florence Elinor, born in Ogdensburg, July 28, 1900.
WEIR. This surname, which is of Norman origin, is identical with that of De Vere. It has long been prominent in Scotland, and became distributed through many counties. It is claimed by the Weirs of Lanarkshire that they are descended from the De Veres, a famous baronial family founded by Baltredus de Vere in the reign of Malcolm IV., (Twelfth Century). A prominent writer on nomenclature suggests that the original progenitor may have resided near a fishing locality, thus deriving his surname from the word weir. Many of this name have figured conspicuously as soldiers, clergymen and statesmen, and for ages they have been identified with agriculture and the mechanical arts, plying their honorable calling with industry, frugality and thrift. They were strict Presbyterians during the religious disturbances of the seventeenth century, and not a few of them migrated to the north of Ireland, whence they descendants emigrated to America.
(I) Robert Weir, born in Jackson, Washington County, New York, resided in that town and had a family of eighty sons and three daughters.
(II) Edwin, son of Robert Weir, was born in Jackson in 1826. He was a mill-wright, and settling in Cambridge, Washington County, on the White Creek side, he followed his trade there until his death, which occurred at the age of forty-three years, in 1869. He married Martha Jane Cowan, a native of Jackson, daughter of William Cowan and His wife, Margaret Green. Mrs. Martha Jane Weir died in 1898, aged seventy years. Children who lived to maturity: !. Belle, died unmarried at age of twenty-four years. 2. Eugene R., died in 1904, aged forty-six. 3. Oscar B., of whom further.
(III) Oscar B., son of Edwin and Martha J. (Cowan) Weir, was born in Cambridge, New York, December 2, 1860. He began his education in his native town and completed it with a commercial course at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York. Possessing a natural genius for mechanical pursuits, he perfected himself in that branch of industry by serving an apprenticeship in a machine shop at Cambridge. His brother, Eugene R., whose abilities lay in a similar direction, also learned the machinist's trade and both became skilled mechanics. From that time forward their paths lay in the same channel, and they were practicable inseparable, sharing the success and vicissitudes which, in turn, invariably accompany the efforts of worthy and ambitious artisans. Having mastered their trade and felling confident of their ability, the brothers decided to try their fortune in the far northwest, and journeying to the Pacific Coast they spent a year in Washington, which at that time had not been admitted to the national family of states. There they found employment at their trade, and also devoted some time to prospecting. From Washington they went to San Francisco, California, where they were employed as journeymen machinists some fourteen months and, returning to New York State, they continued to ply their calling in carious places, principally in shirt manufacturing plants. In 1897 they purchased the Plattsburgh Shirt Company's plant, and later the same year acquired possession of the Keeseville Shirt Company's factory, both of which they operated successfully until 1904, when the death of the elder brothers, Eugene R., abruptly terminated their long and singularly devoted companionship.
After the death of his brother, Mr. Oscar B. Weir disposed of the Keeseville Plant in order to devote his time more closely to his other enterprises, which include the Mooers shirt Company, of Mooers, New York, established by him in 1899, and at the same time he incorporated the Plattsburgh shirt company, of which he became president, treasurer and general manager. The last named business, which he and his late brother revived through their able management, from a state of decay into an exceedingly profitable enterprise, is, in its present flourishing condition, employing a force of between two hundred and fifty and three hundred hands, and the Mooersville plant employs from sixty to one hundred. The product of these plants includes the Cluett & Peabody white "Monarch" shirts, which are recognized as standard goods throughout the Untied States.
Mr. Weir is actively interested in various local organizations, social business, fraternal, sporting, etc., being president of the Plattsburgh Kennel and the Plattsburgh Rod and Gun Clubs; a member of the MacDonough Social and Commercial Club, and of Plattsburgh Lodge, No. 221, Protective Order of Elks. May 4, 1905, he married, in Plattsburgh, Aurilla C. Dana, born in Saranac, new York, daughter of Carlisle A. Dana and his wife, Anna Robinson, the former a cousin of the late Charles A. Dana, the famous editor of the New York Sun.
Aurilla C. Dana was a granddaughter of Hon, Daniel Dana, of Guildhall, Vermont, and a descendant in the ninth generation of William Dana, whose son, Richard, was the immigrant ancestor of the Dana family in America.
(The Dana Line)
(I) William Dana, a French Huguenot, took refugee in England to escape religious persecution, and is said to have served as sheriff of Middlesex in the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
(II) Richard, son of William Dana, arrived in New England about the year 1640, and settled in Cambridge, Massachusetts. A family tradition states that he was born in France and accompanied his father to England when nine years old. He received grants of land in Cambridge in 1652-65, and resided in that part of the town now Brighton. In 1670 he sold to Deacon Thomas Oliver his dwelling-house and sixty-seven acres of land.
He was chosen constable in 1661, and subsequently held other town offices, including grand juror. He died April 3, 1690, from injuries received by falling from a scaffold in his barn. He married Anne Bullard, of Cambridge, who died July 15, 1711. Children: 1. John. 2. Hannah. 3. Samuel. 4. Jacob. 5. Joseph. 6. Abiah. 7. Benjamin. 8. Elizabeth. 9. Daniel. 10. Deliverance. 11. Sarah.
(III) Jacob, son of Richard and Anne (Bullard) Dana, was born in Cambridge, December 21, 1654; died in December, 1698. The Christian name of his wife was Patience. Children; 1. Jacob, born October 1, 1679, died young. 2. Elizabeth, married John Reed. 3. Hannah, born October 25, 1685, married Jonathan Hyde. 4. Samuel, born September 7, 1694. 5. Abigail. 6. Jacob.
(IV) Jacob, youngest child of Jacob and Patience Dana, was born in Cambridge, in 1698. He removed to Connecticut, settling first in Pomfret and later in Ashford. He married, about 1722, Abigail -------------. Children: 1. Experience, died young. 2. Mary. 3. Abigail. 4. Jacob. 5. Jeremiah. 6. Anderson. 7. Experience. 8. Rebecca. 9. Sarah. 10. Priscilla. 11. Eleanor.
(V) Anderson, third son and sixth child of Jacob and Abigail Dana, was born in Pomfret, Connecticut, October 26, 1735. He resided in Ashford until 1772, when he removed to Wyoming, Pennsylvania, and lost his life in the atrocious Indian massacre there in July, 1778. He married, at that place, June 1, 1757, Susanna Huntington. Children: 1. Eunice. 2., Daniel. 3. Susanna. 4. Jacob. 5. Anderson. 6. Azael. 7. Sylvester. 8. Eleazer.
(VI) Hon. Daniel Dana, second child and eldest son of Anderson and Susanna (Huntington) Dana, was born in Ashford, Connecticut, September 16, 1782. Settling in Guildhall, Vermont, he became eminent both as a lawyer and in public affairs, serving as representative to the legislature and in other position of honor and trust. Judge Dana married Dolly Kibbe. Children: 1. Persis L., born April, 1786, married Thomas Carlisle. 2. Dolly, died young. 3. Anderson. 4. Nancy. 5. Sarah, & 6. Mary (twins) both died young. 7. Sarah, died in infancy. 8.A third Sarah. 9. Daniel Huntington. 10. Mary. 11. Harriet, died in infancy. 12. William K. 13. Harriet. 14. Dolly Jane.
(N.B.--Anderson, eldest son of Judge Dana married Ann Dennison, and was father of Charles Anderson Dana, who attained a worldwide reputation as a journalist; edit the "New American Cyclopedia," and served as assistant secretary of war during the Rebellion. Born in Hinsdale, New Hampshire, August 8, 1819; died on Long Island, New York, October 17, 1897.)
(VIII) Carlisle, grandson of Judge Dana, married Anna Robinson, and their daughter, Aurilla C., became the wife of Oscar B. Weir, previously mentioned. Mr. and Mrs. Weir have one child, Aurilla C., born June, 1910.
ALGIE. Robert Algie was born in Scotland and came to Canada, settling in Montreal. Children, born in Montreal: 1. Robert. 2. Benjamin, mentioned below. 3. Martha. 4. Jane. 5. Margaret.
(II) Benjamin, son of Robert Algie, was born in Montreal, Canada, February 11, 1811, and died in Ogdensburg, New York, December, 1865. He received his education in the schools of Montreal. In 1810 he settled in Ogdensburg, New York, where for a time he worked in the tannery of Deacon Erastus Vilas. He established himself in the trucking business, and finally conducted a grocery store, which he carried on until his death. In politics he was a Republican and religion a Baptist. He married, -------, 1842, Mary Castle, born near Hull, England, November 2, 1822, daughter of William castle. Children: 1. Robert B., dealer in cigars and tobacco now retired; married Sarah Hubbard, of Ogdensburg, and had: i. George, ii. Mary, iii. Grace, iv. Ralph, v. Robert, vi. One who died young, vii. William C., and viii. George Edward, both mentioned below; ix. Benjamin C., proprietor of La Mode Skirt Company; x. Royal J., in company with his brother Benjamin.
(III) William C. Algie, son of Benjamin Algie, was born in Ogdensburg, February 3, 1846, and was educated there in the public schools. He began to work in the telegraph office as messenger in 1860. After two years he became a clerk in the dry goods store of M. & N. Frank and remained with this firm for ten years. In 1782 he entered the employ of J. W. Wilson, dry goods dealer at Ogdensburg, and was a salesman there for the next seventeen years. Since 1889 he has been one of the owners of the George Hall Coal Company, and is now a director and secretary of the corporation. He is well and favorably known in business circles. In politics he is a Democrat. He served one year on the board of water commissioners. He is a member of the Ogdensburg Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; of Ogdensburg council, 641, Royal Arcanum, and of the Century Club. In religion he is independent. He married, in 1869, Martha J., born September 30, 1849, daughter of William and Mary (Waffle) Hubbard, of Ogdensburg. Children, born at Ogdensburg: 1. Frank, 1871, died, aged fourteen months. 2. Bessie Louise, December 15, 1873; married Dr. Albert E. Haynen, dentist, of Ogdensburg; child, Ruth Howard Haynen, died February 23, 1910.
(III) George Edward, son of Benjamin Algie, was born in Ogdensburg, February 10, 1848. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and in 1860 entered the dry goods store of A. G. Cadier as parcel boy. Six years later he went o New York City, where for sixteen years he was associated with the wholesale trade, and covered territory as far west of Kansas City as a general salesman. In 1882 his brothers, Benjamin C. and royal J., entered into business in Ogdensburg, and in 1884 Mr. Algie engaged with them, and the firm being called Algie Brothers (retail dry goods dealers.) At this time the store was located at the corner of Ford and Isabella Streets. In 1889 the firm was dissolved, and Mr. Algie conducted the business alone for a year, then taking John B. Tyo as a partner, the firm name being Algie & Tyo. Mr. Algie made frequent trips to New York, and his experience there as a salesman made him a very successful buyer. The firm made a reputation for carrying exclusive lines and up-to-date styles, and was successful financially. In the spring of 1909 Mr. Algie retired from the firm to devote himself to his real estate interests. He is an active member of the Chamber of Commerce, lending his aid and influence in all ways tending to advance the interests of the city. His keen powers of observation and his wonderful memory enabled him to acquire a wide knowledge of current topics, and he was exceptionally well informed. He has always been devoted to his business, and his energy, enterprise and honest methods have brought him success. In the development of his real estate he has sought to improve the city, sometimes even at the expense of the financial returns from his investment, and the landscape effects have been made the subject of careful consideration. He is a Democrat in politics, and in religion an Episcopalian. He married, March 12, 1884, Susie A. Green, daughter of Wildridge Green, of Oswegatchie, New York. They have one child, Deborah Green, born April 10, 1890.
Mrs. Algie was for many years head saleslady in the millinery department of the well-known firm of J. W. Wilson & Co., before her marriage to Mr. Algie, and when Mr. Algie engaged in business it was largely through her ken foresight and executive ability that success was brought to the business he established.
HONSINGER. Emanuel Honsinger, immigrant ancestor, born in Germany, about 1750, was educated in his native land, and when a young man came with other German people to this country before the Revolution. He settled in Dutchess County, New York, and afterward removed to Alburgh, Vermont, where he spent the later years of his life and where he died. He was a thrifty farmer. He married Mary Masten a native of Canada.
(II) James Honsinger, son of Emanuel and Mary (Masten) Honsinger, was born at Alburgh, Vermont, December 1, 1795. And died at Champlain, New York, June 3, 1862. In 1820 he settled in Canada, and during the next three years conducted a farm that he owned there. In 1823 he sold out this property and bought land at Champlain, Clinton county, new York, build a log house, in which he made his home while clearing the land, and followed farming there for a period of forty years, a mile and a half east of the village of Champlain. He was for a number of years lieutenant of a company in the state militia. Originally a Whig, he became a Republican after the Whig party went to pieces. He and his wife were members of the Methodist church. He married, in March, 1818, Margaret Chilton, born July 14, 1794, in Alburgh, daughter of John R. and Nancy Chilton. Children, a;; but the eldest born in Champlain: 1. William S., of whom further. 2. Emanuel. 3. Albert. 4. Uriah. 5. Caroline. 6. Larancy.
(III) Dr. William s. Honsinger, son of James Honsinger, was born at Alburgh, Grand Isle County, Vermont, December 23, 1820. He attended the public schools at Champlain, and worked on his father's farm until he was eighteen years old. From 1838 to 1841 he was a student in the academy in St. Albans, Vermont. He commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Churchill, of Champlain, teaching the winter term in the public schools in the meantime. He graduated from the medical college at Castleton, Vermont, in June, 1846, with the degree of M. D., began to practice his profession in association with Dr. Churchill. After a year at Champlain he located at Saranac, and in the spring of 1848 he settled in West Chazy, and continued there until hid death, having an excellent practice and winning high rank in his profession. He had to ride as far as Plattsburgh on the south, the state line on the north, and even into the Canadian towns and westward from the lake to the distant hills. He made something of a specialty of pulmonary and kindred diseases, and was called frequently by other physicians in consultation, especially in cases of this kind. He was one of the most skillful and successful surgeons of his day in this section. During the Civil War he was called to Alexandria, Virginia, to attend soldiers from this vicinity. Dr. Honsinger invested extensively in real estate and owned several fine farms and raised some of the mot valuable stock in the country. His cattle won many premiums at the annual county fairs of this section. He was a staunch Republican, and for several years was county school commissioner when the duties of that office were such that the schools were reached only on horseback. He declined to accept any public office that would interfere with his practice. He was a member and past mater of Northern Light Lodge, No. 505, Free Masons, and represented his lodge several times in the Grand Lodge.
He married, November 15, 1848, Louisa A. Hedding, born in Chazy, April 2, 1818, died in her seventy-ninth years, daughter of Judge William Hedding. Her father was a brother of Bishop Elijah Hedding, who entered the ministry before he was of age, advanced rapidly in position and influence, elected bishop of the Methodist Church in 1824, the fourth bishop of this country, and died in 1852. Bishop Hedding preached often in this section in 1801, when he was assigned to the Plattsburgh circuit with Rev. Elijah Chichester. Judge William Hedding was well known in this county, a prominent merchant, and a leader in politics and public affairs. James Hedding, father of Judge Hedding, was native of Dutchess County, New York, removed to Vermont, and thence, in 1802, to West Chazy, where he settled on what was afterwards called the McDonough place on Cumberland Head, removing in 1805 to West Chazy. Dr. Honsinger died July 18, 1895. Children, born at West Chazy: 1. Eva I., died young. 2. Willis T., and 3. Lyman L., both mentioned below.
(IV) Dr. Willis T. Honsinger, son of Dr. William S. Honsinger, was born at West Chazy, August 6, 1854. He attended the district schools and academy, and the Friars College of St. John's, Quebec. He began the study of medicine under his father's instruction, then entered the medical college at Burlington, Vermont, from which he graduated at the head of his class. He then attended Bellevue Medical College, New York City, and lectured in other colleges. He began to practice in 1875 in partnership with his father, under the firm name of Dr. William S. Honsinger & Son. They continued together until 1889, when the senior partner retired. The junior partner continued to practice alone for ten years, and in 1899 he also retired after twenty-five years of arduous but successful experience. He sometimes responds to emergency calls and joins in consultation when his advice is sought by other physicians. He kept well abreast of the advance guard in medical research and had the reputation of being the best-read doctor in the county. Like his father he made agriculture an avocation for both pleasure and profit. He has a farm of twenty-four hundred acres of land in North Dakota, all under cultivation, and raises wheat, oats and barley. He is a director in the Moorehead national Bank of Moorehead, Minnesota. He also owns large mining properties in Canada, and for the post three years has been largely interested in the silver mines at Cobalt, Ontario. He has a farm of four hundred acres in Beekmantown, New York, near Lake Champlain, and a farm of one hundred and thirteen acres in Chazy. At his Beekmantown farm he formerly had a notable herd of Holstein cattle. He raised stock from the cow Mercedes Julip Pieterje, which made an official record at White Bear Lake, Minnesota, of twenty-nine pounds five and seven-tenth ounces of butter in seven days. A yearling bull from this cow, known as Milk and Butter King, he sold for $1,500, and the purchaser sold him later for $10,000, the highest price ever paid for a bull. The sire of Milk and Butter King was Aagia Cornucopia Johanna Lad. A long list of the registered stock of this farm might be given. Dr. Honsinger finally had to sell his herd and discontinue the cattle-breeding business on account of his other business. He is a Republican in politics, and presented this district in the state assembly in 1894-96. He has been a member of Northern Light Lodge, of Free Masons since 1879. He married, September 26, 1877, Henrietta, daughter of John and Lavinia (Aldrich) Dunn, of West Chazy. Her father was a native of England, her mother was born in West Chazy, daughter of John and -------------- (Slosson) Aldrich. Children: 1. William O., born at West Chazy, July 10, 1878; married Ann James, born at Port Henry, New York, child, Louisa Henrietta, born April 9, 1993. 2. Elsie M., born at West Chazy, October, 1880; married McKenzie Stewart; children: i. Mildred, born April 20, 1903, ii. Charles Thurlow, June 21, 1908. 3. Grace L., born October, 1885, married Morris J. Knapp; child, Kenneth Honsinger Knapp, born September 1, 1908.
(IV) Lyman L., son of Dr. William Honsinger, was born in West Chazy, May 25, 1857. He received his early education in his native town, and later attended the Troy Business College. He studied pharmacy under his father's direction, and for some time has charge of his father's drug store. He left home and, for a short time worked in Boston, returning to West Chazy, where he followed farming. In 1894 he went to Plattsburgh in the employ of his brother, Dr. Willis T. Honsinger, then a partner in the firm of Honsinger & Jerry, dealers in agricultural implements, carriages, harness etc. In 1896 he became a partner in the same line of business, under the firm name of H. E. Jerry & Company, at West Chazy. The firm also sold agricultural machinery and implements. The firm was dissolved in 1899 and the business discontinued. Since 1900, when Mr. Honsinger resumed business, he has been engaged in the same line of business and has been very successful. He is a Republican in politics. He married, October 6, 1886, Cynthia Dewey Corbin, born at Henningford, province of Quebec, daughter of William T. and Mary (Stearns) Corbin. Children, born at West Chazy: 1. Louise L., November 2, 1889. 2. Hazel, March 31, 1894. 3. Ruth, November 11, 1895. 4. Doris, May 18, 1897.
Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1910
This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Debbie Axtman
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since September 5, 2004.