Our Police Protectors
History of New York Police
Chapter 15, Part 3

By Holice and Debbie


THE THIRTEENTH PRECINCT.--The boundaries of the Thirteenth Precinct are Gouverneur Slip, Water Street, Scammel Street, Division Street, Norfolk Street, Rivington Street, and the East River. The station house if at No. 178 Delancey Street, and may be considered, so far as some of its walls go--it has frequently been reconstructed--as one of the oldest, if not the oldest in the city. It was a watch-house long before 1848, when it was recorded as station house; and Hose company No. 4, the Volunteer Fire Department, occupied that Portion now devoted to the desk and assembly room. The officers are: Captain, Jeremiah Petty; and Sergeants, Theron T. Thompson, Thomas Lancer, Philip M. Griffith, and Wm. Strauss. Thompson's dates are: Patrolman, 1862, Roundsman, 1886, and Sergeant, 1868. Lancer joined the force ten years ago; was Roundsman in 1882, and attained rank in January, 1884. Griffith's dates are: Patrolman 1858; was shortly after made Roundsman, and was promoted in 1863. Strauss's dates are: Patrolman 1873; Roundsman 1875, and Sergeant 1885.

CAPTAIN PETTY joined the Police force in 1840. He was then what was called a "chance man," that is, a man who goes to the station and waits to see if anything will turn up upon which he may be detailed. He was then put on the regular Patrol Force, under Captain Fenton, at the Tombs, who occupied the quarters there that are now the officers of Warden Finn. Policemen, at that time, went on duty alternate nights at sunset, and left off at day break. They were paid one dollar and fifty cents a day. They slept in the tombs the nights they were on duty, and went to their own homes the nights they were off. "The Police force, in my younger days," says Captain Petty, "was mostly composed of Native Americans. Our beats did not extend above Canal Street. My beat was on Water Street, and peck Slip to James' Slip--the very worst portion of the city. The neighborhood was then full of house of ill-fame. The number of men on the Police was not more than twenty-five or thirty for the lower part of the city.

"One night my post was on Canal Street. I shall never forget the sight that I saw at the corner of Baxter Street (which was then called Orange Street). I heard a woman shouting 'Murder,' and I went into the house. There, in a cellar, was a woman half drunk; she said she had been beaten by her husband. He was a cripple, and was lying on some dirty straw on the cellar floor. The walls are covered with the slime of lizards. I tried to get the man up, but he could not stand without crutches. I examined his feet, and found that he had been frostbitten. The flesh had rotted off, and the bones were sticking out. He was half drunk. It was a sickening sight. After cautioning the man to keep quiet, I left the place for fear I should faint, and that the lizards would crawl over my body.

"I joined the Leatherheads in 1845. During that time the legislature passed a bill, one of the provision of which was, that it was optional with the city government to adopt it. the Common council refused to pass it, but, instead, passed an ordinance forming the Municipal Police. I was then appointed Assistant Captain, with a salary of six hundred dollars a year, and was a resident of the Fourteenth Ward. I got the position through the intercession of John J. Giles, who was then Treasurer of the Fire Department, and a real estate agent."

Captain Petty, was born in the year 1814, in the city of New York, and went to what was called a "pay school," that is, the scholars paid from two-and-a-half to five dollars a quarter for tuition. There were, besides these, free schools in New York at that time.

During the Fernando Wood riot he was a clerk in the Registry office. In July, 1857, he was appointed Patrolman, and assigned to the Tenth Precinct. He was appointed Sergeant in 1858, and sent to the City hall, and remained there until 1861. He was then transferred from the First to the Fourteenth Precinct.

Captain Petty has been a teetotaler for the last forty-seven years.

During the draft riots he was stationed in the Fifth Precinct, and was the first to enter the Armory, which the rioters were pillaging. "We clubbed them," says Captain Petty, describing the scene, "as far as the top of the stairs, and they went headlong down to the bottom. Some of the rioters jumped from the second and third story windows. When we were in the streets we were surrounded by ten or fifteen thousand people. Bricks were thrown down on us, and I really believe if the military did not fire on the mob, the mob would have killed us."

During the Orange riots Captain Petty was on duty in plainclothes, and arrested three or four persons for carrying firearms. He went on duty on a Monday afternoon, and did not have any sleep until the Friday following.

In 1872 Captain Petty was presented with a gold shield by some citizens in the Fifth Ward. The inscription on the shield was as follows: "Presented to Captain Jeremiah Petty, in acknowledgment of his long service, and the faithful and impartial performance of his official duties."

Captain Petty, for his years, is one of the most vigorous and clear-headed men in the department. This, perhaps, is owing to the fact that, for a long number of years, he has been a total abstainer from all sorts of stimulating or intoxicating beverages, besides being very methodical in all his habits.


This precinct has twelve day and twenty night posts. The quota of fifty-six men is reduced to about forty-five by details and sickness. John McCauley and Patrick English are the Precinct Detectives. The detailed men are: Lafay Schulum, Grand Street Ferry; and Bartholomew J. Owens, Ordinances.

The characteristics of the Thirteenth Precinct are those of the Tenth, and the Eleventh Precinct. It takes in the "Hook" and its predatory loungers, the oyster trade of the East River at Grand Street, much commerce in coal and marble on the river point, the Grand Street Ferry, and some of the largest furniture and flour manufactories. The Hebrew population is large, and few crimes of note are committed. Except on Grand and Clinton Streets its mercantile interests are small.

THE FOURTEENTH PRECINCT.--The limits of the Fourteenth Precinct are Broadway, Howard Street, Centre Street, Hester Street, the Bowery, and Bleecker Street. The station house is at No. 205 Mulberry Street, next to the House of Detention. It is a fair, modern structure, with a separate prison, but it cannot be called a healthy building, as both Captain's and sergeants' quarters are at times unpleasant. The officers are: Captain, Michael J. Murphy; and Sergeants, Thomas N. James, Marcus Horbelt, Michael Lamey and John F. Maloney. James, the senior Sergeant, dates back to 1858. He was Roundsman in 1859, and Sergeant in 1862. Horbelt's dates are: Patrolman 1859; Roundsman 1871, and Sergeant 1876. Lamey was appointed in 1861, made Roundsman in 1869, and got rank in 1872. Maloney joined the force in 1864, became Roundsman three years after, and has been a Sergeant since 1869.

The creation of the new Sixth Precinct cut from the Fourteenth Precinct some of the most important of the dry goods houses and manufactories in Broadway, Canal, and Centre Streets, but it has still to look after millions on millions of invested capital in the large Broadway stores, some of which carry a stock of one million dollars or over, and a multitude of shops on Grand Street and the Bowery. Its resident population is mainly the working class, and it has an Italian colony of the better class in Crosby Street, and one of the worst class in Jersey Street. Within its boundaries is Niblo's Garden Theatre. This precinct is remarkable for the large dry goods fires that occurred almost on the same grounds in 1854, 1876, and 1879. The first involved Nos. 440 and 454 Broadway on the twentieth of December, 1854, and the loss was put down at only seventy thousand five hundred dollars. The next, on February 8, 1876, took in Nos. 440 to 458 Broadway, and houses in Grand, and Howard, and Crosby Streets. The loss was one million seven hundred and fifty thousand one hundred and thirty-five dollars and forty-nine cents, and several persons were injured. At the fire of January 14, 1879, a loss of one million three hundred and twenty-one thousand nine hundred and seventy-three dollars and five cents was sustained at Nos. 458 to 472 Broadway, and Nos. 134 to 136 Grand Street, and one man, a fireman, was killed. Niblo's Garden was destroyed by fire May 6, 1872, when the loss was sixty-one thousand dollars, and the Metropolitan Hotel, of which it is an annex, has been on fire several times. Within its limits, are the headquarters of the Board of Education, and Centre Market, and Police headquarters, and the Sanitary Bureaus, and the House if Detention for Witnesses, old St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Vicar General's residence, and the Houston Street convent. At Grand and Centre Streets is the old and historic Odd Fellows' Hall.

CAPTAIN MURPHY was born in 1844, and in his youth was a clerk. He was appointed on the force in August, 1868. His dates are: 1869, a Roundsman, 1870, a Sergeant, 1872, a Captain. Having attained the latter rank, he was placed in command of the Seventh Precinct. He held command also successively in the Eleventh, Twenty-eighth, Twenty-first, and Thirty-first Precincts. Captain Murphy is a man of superior intelligence and experience, and his records stands A No. 1.

This precinct has twelve day and twenty-four night posts. Its force of sixty-four men is on the average about fifty-five. John Brennan and James J. Hart are the Precinct Detectives. The detailed officers are: James Moran, Excise; George R. Jacobs, ordinances; Sullivan H. Bates, Centre Market; and Jacob Lay Burean, of elections.

THE SEVENTEENTH PRECINCT.--The boundaries of the Seventeenth Precinct are Houston Street, Avenue B, Fourteenth Street, Fourth Avenue, and the Bowery. The station house is at Nos. 79 and 81 First Avenue, and dates back to 1853, when the command's headquarters were removed from Third Street and the Bowery. It is an old structure, the cells are underground, and the demand for a new station house must be met before many years have passed. Very little repairing or alteration has been done to this station house since it was erected. The officers are: Captain, John H. McCullagh; and Sergeants, Joseph Haggerty, Jacob Welsing, George Little, and John Gallagher. Haggerty joined the force in 1861, was Roundsman in two years, and was promoted the next year. Welsing's dates are: Patrolman 1870; Roundsman 1874, and Sergeant 1876. Little was a Patrolman from 1865 to 1877, and three months after he was made Roundsman he got rank. Gallagher was Patrolman in 1868, a Roundsman in 1877, and Sergeant in 1881.

CAPTAIN JOHN H. McCULLAGH, of the Seventeenth Precinct, was born in the County Tyrone, Ireland, in January, 1842, and came to this country when he was only eleven years of age. His family went to reside at Irvington-on-the-Hudson, where the future Captain attended school. While there he was prominent in all athletic sports and games. During the draft riots, in 1863, he made the acquaintance of several members of the Police force, and resolved to join them. When McCullagh visited Headquarters with a letter of introduction, the Superintendent told him to wait until his bread grew, and that he was only yet a boy. But in a few days afterwards he received his appointment as Patrolman and was assigned to the Fifth Precinct, then in charge of Captain Jeremiah Petty. After two years' service in this distinct he was transferred to the Twentieth Precinct, under Captain Walling. Here McCullagh distinguished himself. The desperate ruffians known as the "Hell's Kitchen" gang, were constantly committing robberies at the Hudson River Railroad Depot, and were a terror to everybody. One night, on the arrival of a train from the West, two hogsheads of hams were stolen. McCullagh, hearing of the robbery, went cautiously down towards the depot. On the way, he encountered a notorious thief, nicknamed "Dutch Heinrich," and two of his companions. Heinrich, with an oath, precipitated himself on the officer. A terrific struggle ensued, but after a time the thief went under. He was afterwards tried, convicted, and sent to State Prison for five years. McCullagh was soon afterwards promoted to the rank of Roundsman and transferred to the Twelfth precinct, but his old Captain (Walling) requested the Police commissioners to let him have McCullagh back again, and the Commissioners acceded to the request. Soon after this there was a reckless Policeman, who, thinking he was aggrieved, swore that they would kill any Policeman, who would have the temerity to report him. One night, however, McCullagh, finding him off duty, did report him. The Policeman was dismissed the force, and watched his opportunity to be avenged on McCullagh. One morning, while the latter was on duty at the corner of Thirty-seventh Street and Ninth avenue. The dismissed Policeman fired at him and wounded him severely. For a long time McCullagh's life trembled in the balance, but eventually he recovered. His assailant was arrested and sent to Sing Sing for five years.

In the Orange riots of 1871, McCullagh was shot in the leg, and was laid up for a month.

Most and Wesley Allen, two notorious characters, were arrested by McCullagh in mercer Street for the attempted robbery of Colsatt & Company's silk store. Both the prisoners were sentenced to ten years in the State Prison.

Captain McCullagh was also the principal means of breaking up the Panel House Gang in the Eighth Precinct, at the head of which was "Shang" Draper.

The Captain has inherited a nice house at Irvington, where is very popular with his neighbors. He is also a trustee of the school at that place.

This precinct has fourteen day and twenty-six night posts. Of the full complement of seventy-five men, about twenty are detailed or sick. Edward Robinson and Michael Bissert are the Precinct Detectives. Henry Trass and Thomas Kiernan are detailed on Ordinances; James Kiernan and George E. Wood to the office of the Commissioners of Charities and Correction; Henry Schwenck and Frank Gunn to the Cooper Institute, as Day Post No. 15; Peter Farley to Tompkins Market, as Day Post No. 16; George Marsh to the Eye and Ear infirmary and Home of the Holy Family, as Day Post No. 17.

The Seventeenth Precinct watches over a crowded tenement house population. It is asserted that the most populous block in the city is here. This is the home of the Bohemian colony, and there are many Germans in the district. It takes in the German part of the Bowery, and within its limits are Tompkins Market and the Sixty-ninth Regiment Armory, Cooper Institute, the bible House, Grace Church, Theiss's Alhambra, the headquarters of the Commissioners of Charities and Corrections, Tompkins Square, the Eye and Ear Infirmary, Turn Halle, and other Teutonic resorts, the Marble Cemetery, and the buildings of the New York Historical Society. No occurrence ever created such a stir as the stealing of A. T. Stewart's body from the vault in the churchyard of St. Mark's church at Nine, Tenth, and Stuyvesant Streets and Second Avenue, on the seventh of November, 1878. One of the fiercest fires on record was at the Hippotheatron, in East Fourteenth Street, on the morning of December 24, 1872, when Nos. 114 to 134 East Fourteenth Street were more or less damaged, and the loss over two hundred and seventy thousand dollars. On the fifth of January, 1880, a fire at Turn Halle ended the lives of five persons, but the damage done was small. On the twenty-fifth of July, 1876, Sergeant James McGloin, of the Fifteenth Precinct pursued Harry King, who had committed a robbery, to Second Avenue and Eighth Street, and there received his death wound. King is serving a life sentence.

THE EIGHTEENTH PRECINCT.--The Eighteenth Precinct comprises the district between Fourteenth Street, Union Square, Fourth Avenue, Twenty-seventy Street, First Avenue, Twenty-sixth Street, and the East River. The station house is at Nos. 325 and 327 East Twenty-second Street. It is on the site of the one burned down by the mob in the draft riots of 1863. It is a third-class structure when compared with more modern station houses, but it has a separate prison. The officers are: Captain, William H. Clinchy; and Sergeants Thomas H. Mangin, Michael Fanning, Hugh Clark and William T. Coffey. Mangin was a Patrolman in 1870, Roundsman in 1874, a Sergeant, in 1879. Fanning's dates are: Patrolman 1864; Roundsman 1869; and Sergeant 1872. Hugh Clark joined the force in 1861, waited more then seventeen years to be Roundsman and got his rank last June. Coffey was appointed in 1869, and ten years later was made a Roundsman. In May last he was promoted.

CAPTAIN CLINCHY was born in this city in 1844, and when quite a boy he went to the far West, acting as a scout and hunter there for several years. He became a Patrolman in 1865, and was assigned to the Sixth Precinct for duty. In 1867 he was promoted to be a Roundsman, and was advanced a step higher in 1869, when he was made Sergeant. The following year he reached his present rank, and was sent tot he Twenty-first Precinct; thence to the Twenty-fifth Precinct, to the Broadway Squad, the Fourteenth, the Thirteenth, and finally to the Eighteenth Precinct. Captain Clinchy is a man of solid literary attainments, is a good linguist, and is self-educated.

This precinct has eighteen day and thirty-seven night posts. The full complement of men, ninety-six, is reduced by sickness and details to about ninety-seven. The Precinct Detective is J. V. B. Corey. The detailed officers are: John O'Neill, Fourteenth Street; Thomas Gibbons and Thomas O'Reilly, Ordinances; George Clinchy, Stuyvesant park; W. P. Leaman, Gramercy Park; Patrick Flanagan, Twenty-third Street Ferry; George F. Lewis, Inspector Murray's Office; Jacob B. Kern, Gramercy Park, and M. C. Yaeger, Twenty-third Street Railroads.

The responsibilities of the police of the Eighteenth Precinct are divided among the slums of the east side and the rich residents of such quarters as Gramercy Park, Stuyvesant Square, and the lower end of Madison Avenue. This precinct takes care of Tammany Hall, the Academy of Music, Steinway Hall, Irving Hall, the headquarters of the Department of Parks, Tony Pastor's Theatre, and the East Twenty-third Street Ferry, the Ashland house, the Hotel Dam, the Clarendon Hotel, the Westminster Hotel, the Florence Apartment House, Trinity Church, St. George's Church, All Souls' Church, and the College of the City of New York. Last year the St. George's Flats, in East Seventeenth Street, near Stuyvesant park, was destroyed by fire with a loss of seventy thousand dollars. The fire was remarkable because the house was advertised as positively and absolutely fire-proof, and was barely tenanted. In December, 1`869, Florence Scannell, an Alderman, was wounded in an election row in a liquor saloon at Twenty-third Street and Second Avenue, and he died in Bellevue Hospital. John Scannell, his brother, made John Donohue responsible for this brother's death, and after trying to kill him in the street, deliberately slew him in the pool rooms in front of the Brower House.


THE TWENTY-FIRST PRECINCT.--The Twenty-first Precinct's boundaries are Twenty-sixth Street, Fist Avenue, Twenty-seventh Street, Fourth Avenue, Park Avenue, Forty-second Street, and the East River. The station house is at No. 160 East Twenty-fifth Street, and has been much tinkered since 1855. In 1864 a building in its rear was added to it; the cells are underground; the quarters are cramped, and it is on the whole, a fourth-rate structure. The officers are: Captain, Thomas M. Ryan; and Sergeants, John Fitzgerald, Philip Cassidy, Frederick W. Martens and George P. Osborne. Fitzgerald's dates are Patrolman 1865; Roundsman 1874; and Sergeant, 1876. Cassidy was Patrolman in 1870, Roundsman in 1877, and Sergeant in 1881. Martens, in 1883, when he made Roundsman, had been nine years on the force. Last April he was promoted. Osborne was appointed in 1870, became Roundsman in 1876, and got his rank last January.

CAPTAIN THOMAS MEAGHER RYAN, of the Twenty-first precinct, has done good service in his time. Previous to his appointment to the district which he now commands, breaches of the law were numerous, and gangs of young "toughs" made themselves a terror to the peaceably disposed inhabitants; but Captain Ryan's advent struck terror into those ruffians when he assumed the Captaincy of the Twenty-first Ward. He came to this country from Ireland about twenty-eight years ago, and obtained a situation with the Adams Express Company. Here his punctuality and faithful performance of duty attracted the attention of his employers, and through the President of the Company, Mr. William B. Dinsmore, who rook a great interest in the young man, Ryan was appointed a Policeman on November 12, 1863. He was assigned to the Eighteenth Precinct, and, after several years of steady attention to duty, he was appointed Roundsman on December 16, 1870, in the same precinct in which he served as Patrolman. He was appointed Captain on September 13, 1878, and assigned to the command of the Sixteenth Precinct. After two or three changes, he was finally located in his present precinct.

The following are some of the arrest made by him:

Peter Fenrich, arrested December 15, 1886, for the celebrated diamond robbery, Sentenced to Sing Sing for five years.

Thomas Foster, for presenting a pistol at a druggist's wife. Sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment.

On the night of September 24, 1881, Thomas Kennealy, Michael McGuirk, James Nolan, Peter Henry, and Edward Gates stopped an old laboring man named Felix Smith at Fourteenth Street, near First Avenue, and forcibly took from him his hard-earned wages. Each of them was sentenced to five years in State Prison.

John McManus, for the killing of Michael Kerwin in a saloon, on the sixteenth of June, 1873. McManus was sentenced to imprisonment for life.

William Burke, James McKeon, Thomas Roberts, and William Walpole, for robbing a gentleman named Walter Cook, in Twenty-seventh Street, on November 25, 1882. They were arrested twelve hours afterwards from description, and sentenced to State Prison for five years.

This command has fourteen day and twenty-eight night posts. Of its seventy-one men about a dozen are sick or detailed. George Connor and Bernard Malarkey are the Precinct Detectives. The detailed men are: Richard Cahill, ordinances; John Spencer, Bellevue Hospital; Patrick Nealis, Dock of Commissioners of Charities and Corrections; Terrence Gallagher, Thirty-fourth Street Ferry; Michael C. Donahue, St. John's College, Fordham.

The Twenty-first precinct runs to aristocracy on its western border, and to squalor and petty crime as the East River is approached. The Police here have to deal with a ruffiany element east of Third Avenue, and a uniformed officer is fair game for the young thugs who infest the district. It is not exaggerations to say that on some posts a Patrolman's safety lies in his ability to handle his locust and pistol in cases of emergency, and there are endless records in the station house of minor brawls with more or less serious results to the unruly, and sometimes to the members of the force. West of third Avenue, on Murray Hill, are aristocratic residences, and there are some of the most luxurious mansions in the city along Park Avenue. In the precinct are St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church, the Grand Union Hotel, Pottier and Stymus' furniture manufactory, and the houses in the vicinity of Prospect Place of some of the best and most worthy Hebrew families. This precinct guards the principal ferry to the Long Island Railroads, and Bellevue and the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospitals, and the Dock of the Commissioners of Charities and Correction. An event remembered to this day was the killing of Police Officer Smedick by John Real fifteen years ago. Real, despite strenuous efforts to save him, was hung August 5, 1870. On the tenth of October, 1881, the Fourth Avenue car stable, at Thirty-third Street and Fourth Avenue, and a storage warehouse and other buildings, were destroyed by fire. The loss was eight hundred and two thousand dollars.

THE TWENTY-SIXTH PRECINCT.--The Territory of the Twenty-sixth Precinct is bounded by Mail Street, Broadway, Chambers Street, Centre Street, and Park Row. This is the City Hall Squad, and its quarters are in the south-east corner of the City Hall. Formerly it was the Railroad and Steamboat Squad, until Col. Joel B, Erhardt, in 1876, organized the Steamboat Squad, and placed Roundsman James K. Fuller in command. Before the Nineteenth Sub-Precinct was organized, a detail of officers from this precinct did duty where the Grand Central Depot now stands, and at the Harlem and New Haven Depots at Fourth Avenue and Twenty-seventh Streets, and Twenty-eight Street, where is now the Madison Square Garden. Nearly all the members of this command do only day duty, so that there is but one day post and two night posts to a force of fifty-six men, reduced by sickness and details to about forty-eight men. The officers of the command are: Sergeant Stewart; and Sergeants, Edward Carpenter, appointed 1869, made Roundsman 1872, and promoted 1876; George P. Kass, appointed 1862, made Roundsman 1866, and promoted 1869; and James Gaynor, appointed 1862, made Roundsman 1870, and promoted 1872.

SERGEANT JOSEPH STEWART, upon the promotion of Captain Steers to an Inspectorship, was transferred from Tremont Police Station to take command of the Twenty-sixth Precinct in the City Hall.

INSPECTOR HENRY V. STEERS, was born in Sing Sing in 1832, and came to New York City when he was only seven years old. He served his apprenticeship to the ship building trade, and worked at this business for years. He joined the force 1857 and went to the Thirteenth Precinct. He was promoted Roundsman in 1860, and assigned for duty to the Seventeenth; in 1865 he was made Sergeant, and in 1874 Captain of the Twenty-ninth Precinct, and was transferred to the Thirty-second in 1878. During the riots of 1863 and 1871 Captain Steers took a prominent part, and, with a few Policemen, cleared the boulevards of riotous mobs. Gangs of desperadoes, previous to Captain Steers going there, made night hideous by their depredations. Steers singled out the leader of this gang--who was a desperate bully-and thrashed him. This struck terror into the group, and peaceful citizens hailed his advent with delight. They presented him with a shield, bearing the following inscription:

"Presented to Captain Steers, in acknowledgment of his ability and zeal as an officer, by the citizens of the late town of West Farms, now the Thirty-fourth Precinct. NEW YORK CITY, December 4, 1874."

Shortly after this Captain Steers was presented with a gold watch. He was a member of the Knickerbocker Club, and was the recipient of a handsome club from the members. The club was made of black ebony, tipped at the bottom with ivory, and mounted at the top with an exquisitely worked ivory eagle, and near the handle is a wide circle with this inscription:

"Presented to Captain Steers by the Knickerbockers Club of West Farms, May 2, 1872."

When the change took place from the Metropolitan to the Municipal, Steers was the last Sergeant of the Metropolitan Police. While he was a Patrolman, Captain Steers saved seven persons from drowning, and on one occasion nearly lost his life.

He was made Inspector on the twenty-fourth of March, 1885, in place of the late Inspector Thorne. Sergeant JOSEPH STEWART was transferred from Tremont to command the City Hall Squad.

The detailed officers are: Peter Groden and Ignatz Baumgarten, Castle Garden; John B. Wood, Comptroller's Office; George Davis, City Paymaster's office; David Harvey, Police Headquarters; William Sims, Superior Court; Roundsman Charles O. Sheldon, Telegraph office, Police Headquarters; and Robert Quackenbush, Special Detective. The force is on duty daily, Sundays excepted, as follows: Castle Garden, seven men; Carts, four; Hacks, two; Junkshops, two; Pawnshops, one; Runners, one; Express, One; Venders, two; Brooklyn Bridge Entrance, one; Reserve Force, two; Intelligence Offices, one; License Office, two; Permit Office, one; Post-office, one; Court House, one; Vestibule, City Hall, one; Chamber of Board of Aldermen, one; Blasting, one; House Duty, two; Park Patrol, four.



Our Police Protectors, History of the New York Police, Published for the benefit of the Police Pension Fund, by Augustine Costello, Published by Author, 1885.

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Debbie

You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since August 22, 2004

[Police Index][NY History & Genealogy][AHGP]