The Pioneer History of
Online Edition by Holice & Deb
THE 100,000 ACRES TRACT.
Boundaries -- Dr. Levi Ward -- Levi A. Ward -- Joseph Fellows --Transit Line.
Before the west line of the Mill Yard Tract had been rectified by the new line run by Porter, Mr. Robert Morris sold a tract lying next west of "the Mill Yard," to contain 100,000 acres, to Cragie and others. This parcel was afterwards sold by the proprietors to Sir William Pultney, and the State of Connecticut, to each, an individual half.
Afterwards, and about the year 1811, this tract was divided between the estate of Sir William Pultney, and the State of Connecticut.
The 100,000 Acre Tract includes the towns of Kendall, Murray, and Clarendon, in Orleans County; and Byron, and a portion of Bergen, Stafford, and Leroy, in Genesee County; and is bounded on the north by lake Ontario, and on the south by a part of the Morris Reserve, known as the "Cragie Tract;" on the east by "The Triangle;" and on the west by "The Holland Purchase." In July, 1810, the State of Connecticut appointed Dr. Levi Ward, agent to sell farm lots for them, and about 1816, Dr. Ward and Levi H. Clark purchased of Connecticut all the unsold lands; but by agreement sales were continued in the name of the State. Dr. Ward and his son Levi A. Ward. Have ever since continued to act as agent for the State of Connecticut, while Mr. Joseph Fellows has been a like agent for the Pultney estate.
THE TRANSIT LINE.
This line which forms the eastern boundary of the Holland Purchase, and the western boundary of Morris Reserve, begins on the north bounds of Pennsylvania, 12 miles west of the west bounds of Phelps and Gorham's Purchase; thence runs due north, to near the center of the town of Stafford, in Genesee County; thence, west a fraction over two miles; thence due north, to Lake Ontario. It forms the eastern boundary of the towns of Carlton, Gaines, and Barre. It is called the Transit Line, because it was run out first by the aid of a Transit instrument. The offset of two miles is said to have been made to prevent overlapping the Connecticut Tract by the lands of the Holland Purchase. The trees were cut through on the Transit Line, to the width of four rods, at an early day, by the Land Company; thus affording a convenient land mark to the early settlers in locating their lands, and serving as a guide in finding their way through the woods. The Transit Line was run by Joseph Ellicott, in 1798.
The Pioneer History of Orleans County, NY, By Arad Thomas
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Deb
You are the Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since January 9, 2002.