Welcome to the Franklin,
New York

History and Genealogy
History

 

Franklin County

Franklin County, taken from Clinton in 1808, is centrally distant from New York 287, from Albany NW. 142 miles. Greatest length 60, greatest breadth 30 miles. The high northern latitude sufficiently indicates the rigors of the climate. The forests are very dense, consisting of trees of immense size. In the southwestern part are some lofty ridges of mountains, but of all the rest a large portion is rather level than hilly. The settlements are almost wholly in the northern part, extending about 15 miles S. from the N. line, and even here are sparse; much file larger portion of the county being as yet covered with the primitive forests. The soil is a sandy loam, occasionally mixed with clay, and stony. The fields commonly among thrifty farmers are fenced with stones gathered from the surface. Some wheat is raised, but it is an uncertain crop, whilst grass, oats, barley, corn, and, generally are very productive. No portion of the state is perhaps better adapted to the sugar-beet. Grazing and lumbering are the chief pursuit of the inhabitants, who find their market upon the St. Lawrence river. The county is divided into 13 towns. (Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co, 1851)

Created by Debbie Spencer-Axtman

 

You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] � Since July 20, 2000.

[New York Roots]