Resources, Albany County
If you know of any resources or links dealing with Albany County please let us know!
- The Official government Web Page for the county.
- Links to historical information about the county
- This link: Historical Area Markers of New York State goes to a site with general information on the program. The following lists markers found in the Capital District.
- New Netherland and Beyond This site contains information on the Geneology and History of Early New York State.
- The New Netherland Project was established under the sponsorship of the New York State Library and the Holland Society of New York. Its primary objective is to complete the transcription, translation, and publication of all Dutch documents in New York repositories relating to the seventeenth - century colony of New Netherland.
- The Olden Times This special section of a site called The Olden Times features old newspaper articles from or about New York & New York families.
- Take a look also at the page for the City of Albany which has listings of some sites that relate more specifically to the City of Albany.
- A scan of the booklet A MEMORIAL: Records of early burial places on the farms in the town of Guilderland, N.Y. and surrounding towns, Compiled by WILLIAM A. BRINKMAN, HISTORIAN, can be found here.
- You can find information about getting vital records from the state of New York here.
- There is no specific County Library, but The Upper Hudson Library System (UHLS) maintains a page with information about most if not all of the libraries in Albany County. Information about a particular library can be found here - go to the drop down menu titled All Libraries near the top of the page, choose a library, then click on Go.
CITY OF ALBANY
- Albany Institute of History and Art
125 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12210
This museum, founded in 1791 is one of the oldest in the Untied States. It's diverse collection reflects the significance of Albany and the Upper-Hudson Valley region in American history and art history. The museum also house a permanent collection of paintings from the Hudson River School landscape paintings as well as Albany and New-York made objects from the 18th and 19th centuries, documents from the New York Central Railroad Company and an 18th century Dutch colonial groote kamer (from the brochure, Albany Institute of History and Art). It's a lovely museum and was extensively renovated in 2001.
- Albany Heritage Area Visitor Center
25 Quackenbush Square
Albany, N.Y. 12207
This site is located near the Clinton Ave. exit of Interstate 787. There is a planitarium in addition to a small museum of the history of the city of Albany. There is a very good self-guided walking tour pamphlet available as well as guided tours as specified hours. There is always a volunteer available to answer questions.
- Cherry Hill
523 South Pearl Street
Albany, New York Phone: 518-434-4791
Cherry Hill was home to the Van Rensselaer family for five generations It is unique in that it represents continuous family living from the 18th through the 20th centuries. The