Oswego County History
- Created on Saturday, 21 January 2012 16:43
Oswego County was taken from Oneida and Onondaga counties in 1816; centrally distant from New York NW. 295, and from Albany 150 miles. Greatest length E. and W. 37 miles, greatest breadth N. and S. 30 milles. The surface is level upon the west, south, and southeast; in the interior rolling, and in the north rising into hills. The soil generally is of a medium quality, some of it highly fertile, better adapted to grass than grain. With the exception of the Oswego river, there are no large streams. "The towns west of the Oswego river constituted a part of the military tract. The towns east of the river constitute a part of "Scriba's patent." These lands were originally granted to Nicholas Roosevelt, of New York, who not complying with the terms of sale, they were sold to George Scriba, a native of Germany, and at that time a merchant in New York. The town of Richland, a large part of Volney, about one half of Scriba, and the town of Vienna, in the county of Oneida, upon a sale of part of Mr. Roosevelt's interest by process from chancery, were jointly purchased by Gen. Alexander Hamilton, John Lawrence, and John B. Church." The county has 20 towns. Pop.43,820.