THE NINE PARTNERS
The Great or Lower Nine Partners Patent was granted 27 May, 1697, to Caleb Heathcote, Augustine Graham, James Emott, Henry Filkins, David Jamison, Hendrick Ten Eyck, John Evertson, William Creed, and Jarvis Marshall, and consisted of a tract of land some eight or ten miles in width, extending from the Hudson River east to the Oblong Patent, near the Connecticut line. This patent covered approximately the territory included in the present towns of Clinton, Pleasant Valley, Washington, Stanford, the southerly part of Hyde Park, and parts of Amenia and Northeast.
The Little Nine Partners Patent was granted 10 April, 1706, to Sampson Broughton, Rip Van Dam, Thomas Wenham, Roger Mompesson, Peter Pauconier, Augustine 'Graham, Richard Sackett and Robert Lurting. These eight patentees soon after sold a one-ninth interest to George Clark, making the "Nine Partners." This patent covered the territory just north of the Great Nine Partners Patent, and embraced approximately the present towns of Milan and Pine Plains, and a portion of the town of Northeast. Because of improper descriptions, or imperfect surveying, the two patents lapped slightly, forming a wedge-shaped tract of land, generally referred to as "The Gore," which was disputed territory for many years. Neither Crum Elbow precinct nor Pleasant Valley were ever in the territory granted to the Little Nine Partners.
SOURCE: Vol, VIII, No 5, May 1918 Genealogy: a journal of American ancestry