0

Laverack, George Edward - Erie County

GEORGE EDWARD LAVERACK. Among Buffalonians of our day who have attained a prominent place in the world of business and the sphere of citizenship, one of the most noteworthy is George E. Laverack. Mr. Laverack was for many years identified with the wholesale drug and grocery business. During his active career Mr. Laverack was connected with other extensive interests, notably in transportation and banking affairs. He is well known in social life, and is an earnest supporter of movements in aid of civic and general improvement.

Mr. Laverack was born in Buffalo on the 10th of October, 1845, and is a son of the late William Laverack. In 1864, when only nineteen, he became his father's partner in the wholesale drug and grocery trade. He remained continuously with his father until the latter's death, and for several years previous had practically the entire charge of the business. On the death of the elder Mr. Laverack in 1888, George E. Laverack bought the interest of J. L. Hunsicker as well as that of the Laverack estate, and became sole proprietor, and conducted the business- until 1900. During the years of his control he developed the business greatly, making it one of the largest houses in its line between New York and Chicago, being known throughout New York State, the Middle West and Pennsylvania.

Meantime Mr. Laverack became identified with transportation affairs. In 1877 he was elected a Director of the Western Transportation Company and served until that corporation passed over to the New York Central Railroad in 1883. He was also a Director in the old American Exchange Bank.

Mr. Laverack has been for many years an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and its predecessor, the Merchants' Exchange. He is a life member of the Buffalo Historical Society, the Fine Arts Academy and the Society of Natural Sciences. He is well-known in the Masonic fraternity, being affiliated with Ancient Landmarks Lodge of Masons and Hugh de Payens Commandery, Knights Templar. He is a member of the Buffalo Club, and was one of the founders of the Country Club, of which he served as President during the first three years of its existence. Like his father, Mr. Laverack was a Volunteer Fireman, serving with Taylor Hose Company for eight years. Since childhood he has been a member of Trinity Church.

On the 5th of September, 1871, Mr. Laverack married Miss Mary Rumrill, daughter of Levi H. Rumrill and Frances (Tweedy) Rumrill. The children of the union are Belle Radcliffe Laverack; Gertrude, now the wife of Andrew N. Winslow of Boston; Howard Cowing Laverack; William Harold Laverack, and Miss Jean Laverack.

SOURCE: Memorial and Family History of Erie County New York; Volume I