WILLIAM W. HAMMOND, eldest son of Charles Hammond, was born at Hamburg, Erie County, N. Y, on the 4th of November, 1831. He was brought up on his father's farm and attended the district schools at Brant and a selact school at Irving, Chautauqua County. In order to go to school at Irving, young Hammond was obliged every day to walk six miles through the forest tract known as the “Indian Woods." He supplemented his rudimentary training by a course in the Fredonia Academy, and at sixteen began teaching school at Columbus, Pa., after which he went to Kentucky, where he taught school, and went from there to Jefferson County, Miss., a few miles from Louisville. Ill health obliged him to return County. Mrs. Hammond died in 1860, leaving one daughter, to his native State, where he again took up his residence in Brant, and Hamburg. While teaching school he began to read law. In 1856 he opened a general store at Brant, and also began to practice in Justices' Courts. When twenty-nine years old he came to Buffalo, entering the law office of Albert Swain and Judge Stephen Lockwood. Here he read law a short time, and was admitted to the bar May 16, 1861. Shortly afterward he opened an office in Angola, N. Y. In 1863 he was ordered with his regiment, the 67th National Guards, to Harrisburg, Pa., where he was stationed when the battle of Gettysburg was fought. He was for fourteen years a member of Company G, 67th Regiment, rising to the rank of Captain.
In 1864 Mr. Hammond removed to Farnham. Here he engaged in farming and the lumber business and conducted a general store. He also served one term as Justice of the Peace, and was a member of the Board of Supervisors for ten out of the twelve years he spent there. In 1877 Mr. Hammond was elected County Judge of Erie County, and was twice reelected, serving from January 1, 1878, to January 1, 1890. Since 1878 Judge Hammond has resided in Buffalo. Since retiring from the bench, he has engaged in the practice of law here, the name of his present firm being Hammond & Hinkley. Judge Hammond ranks as a lawyer of large experience, excellent abilities and scrupulous integrity. He is a safe and trusted legal adviser, and enjoys a large practice.
Judge Hammond was one of the incorporators of the Angola Congregational Church, and one of the original members and trustees of the first Congregational church organized in Buffalo. For the past twenty years he has been Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Niagara Square Congregational Church.
In 1854 Judge Hammond married Amy Ann Hurd of Evans, the bride's parents being among the oldest settlers of Erie Rosa Belle, now Mrs. Charles Koepka of Angola, Erie County. Later Judge Hammond married Louisa A. Hurd. Their children are: Lillie M., now Mrs. Edward J. Newell of Buffalo, and Clark Hurd, now one of the Municipal Court judges of this city.
SOURCE: Memorial and Family History of Erie County New York; Volume I