Warren County was taken from the NW. part of Washington county in 1813. It is principally situated on the W. side of Lake George, centrally distant from New York 240, and from Albany 75 miles. Greatest length N. and S. 44, greatest breadth E. and W. 40 miles. With the exception of a small district on the SE., the whole county is mountainous. The mountains, which are of primitive formation, are covered with a heavy growth of trees, and contain, it is said, abundance of iron ore of good quality, but have very small portions of arable soil. The valleys, which are narrow, contain some fertile alluvion, on secondary limestone. The principal employment of the inhabitants is getting lumber, which is sent to market by the rivers, lake, and Chainplain canal. This county embraces about one half of the Horicon, or Lake George, the greater part of Schroon lake, the whole of Brant lake, and many smaller ones. The Horicon is a beautiful sheet of water 33 miles long, and about 2 wide, and discharges its waters northward into Lake Champlain at Ticonderoga. Its waters are very deep and clear, and abound with the finest fish. The mountain scenery of this lake is excelled in its romantic beauties by none in the world. Schroon and Brant lakes are beautiful sheets of water, and abound with fish similar to Lake George. The county is divided into 10 towns.
(Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co., 1851)