History, Wyoming County
Wyoming County was formed from the southern portion of Genesee county in 1841; length E. and W. 25, breadth N. and S. 18 miles; centrally distant from New York 325, and from Albany 264 miles. The surface of the county is but gently undulating, and the general character of the soil is a most sandy or gravelly loam, well adapted to the culture of grain and grass. The Genesee river touches the southeastern corner in the town of Castile. Allen’s creek, so named from the infamous Indian Allen, who committed many murders on the frontier inhabitants in this region, rises in this county, and flowing northeasterly through a portion of the county of Genesee, empties into the Genesee river in the town of Wheatland, Monroe county. The Holland Land Company, to whom this country originally belonged, still own some small tracts. It is divided into 13 towns. (Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albion & Co., 1851)
There are no articles in this category. If subcategories display on this page, they may contain articles.