TOWN OF NIAGARA and NIAGARA FALLS
Saint Joseph Roman Catholic
Located on the north side of Pine Avenue, opposite 38th Street. Organized 1920. Italian families. Included is a Niagara County veterans plot.
Located on Portage Road, opposite Cedar Ave. Organized in 1852, excellent condition. Records in office on the grounds. Early removals from other cemeteries: Fort Schlosser, Osborn, Old Burying Ground, etc. Also, the Town of Niagara has 25 lots with a renewable 20-year lease. There is a crematory on grounds. Map in Map Book 12 1852, 1900, 1907, #1181. Incorporated 1852 as Oakwood Cemetery Association. Papers in file room. See new File #7, pg. 155, File 9283 and also special proceedings #23504, Register 3, pg. 383. Original papers missing. Veteran area purchased by Niagara County in 1917. Unknown soldiers graves included in the 30 burials in this plot.
Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic
Located on the east side of Portage Road on the corner of Elmwood Avenue and north of Oakwood Cemetery. No known maps or records from the Catholic Church because all records were destroyed in a fiew. Much vandalism has taken place and poor care by the church has resulted in much destruction of monuments. North side of the cemetery is known as Sacred Heart. Poor hand-written map of this section; also a lot owner map of Sacred Heart. In care of Gate of Heaven in Lewiston (Diocese of Buffalo). Incorporated 1867 as Saint Mary’s Cemetery Association. Papers in File Room in Register 6, Pg. 170. Original papers missing. Tomstone recording by J. and D. Rolling.
Temple Beth El-Jewish Reformed
Located behind Saint Mary’s on Elmwood Avenue: 177’x75.7’: poor condition. Purchased 7 July 1864. Reading of stones in 1983 by D. Jerge, D. Rolling, and J. Rolling.
Witmer-Rural-Collins-Leib-Town of Niagara-Homestead
Located on the south side of Witmer Road between Hyde Park Boulevard and Military Road: 3 acres in good condition. Historian has reassembled some records, 1938 recording by DAR, 1877 lot owners. About 1840 Benjamin Witmer’s will gave land to his children to be used as a cemetery. Cemetery association formed 1875. Now under the care of the Town of Niagara. An area south of the cemetery was donated by Havos Shalom for burials of veterans.
Located on the south side of Witmer Road just west of Witmer Cemetery: excellent condition. Fenced in. Approximately 50 stones.
Old Burying Ground
Located between 2nd Street and 3rd Street. Removed from the railroad. Bodies and some monuments taken to Oakwood Cemetery. South side is known as the "Town Burying Grounds".
Located on the north east corner of Lockport Road and Military Road. Monuments were last seen in the 1930s. ? Removals to Witmer Cemetery.
Located west of Military Road between Packard and Porter roads, just east of I-90. In 1895 the Young family was re-interred in Oakwood, Niagara Falls, and others to the Town Burying Grounds in the Witmer Cemetery. The last stones were seen at the time of the I-190 construction. No 8x10 photo.
Located on the edge of Niagara River near Hyde Park Boulevard. At least one stone removed to Oakwood Cemetery; no longer exists.
Located near Buffalo Avenue and Portage Road on the Osborne property. His body removed to Oakwood Cemetery for railroad construction.
Located on Lewiston Road near Whirlpool Park. Several bodies are known to be buried on the Deveaux Campus. No 8x10 photo.
East of 4th Street and Jefferson Street
No longer exists.
Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic Church
Grave of Rev. William STEPHENS: d Sept 1 1862, located under the altar in Saint Mary’s Church. Grave was in the church yard before church enlargement.
Tombstone On Niagara Falls Boulevard
Located on Niagara Falls Boulevard, a stone found behind Saratoga Restaurant in 1963. Whereabouts of stone unknown.
Tombstone on Falls Street
A stone was found under Falls Street in 1956. Margaret w/o Redmon BURKE who died Aug 16, 1855 (Old Burying Ground between 1st and 2nd streets had been moved to Oakwood in April 1855).
? River bank near Schoellkopf
? Goat Island: ? Indian Burial Site
? Oldbury on Buffalo Avenue
Copyright, Clayton Betzing, 2002