Niagara County History
Niagara County, NY
Niagara County was taken from Genesee in 1808. Greatest length E. and W. 30; breadth N. and S. 21 miles. The word Niagara is of Indian origin, and signifies across the neck or straight. The streams are few, and with the exception of Eighteen Mile, Johnson's and Tonawanta creeka, and Niagara river, are inconsiderable. In 1796, exclusive of the occupants of Forts Niagara and Schlosser, there was but one white family in the territory now forming this county. The proposed line for a ship canal, from the Niagara river above the falls to Lewiston, lies wholly within the county, commencing near Gill creek and the site of old Fort Schlosser. A railroad runs from Lockport aand another from Buffalo to the Niagara Falls. A branch has been made from Lewiston to intersect the Lockport and Niagara Falls railroad, a distance of about 2 miles. The Erie canal enters Tonawanta creek near its mouth. The creek is used for 12 miles as a canal by a tow-path on its bank. At Pendleton village, the canal leaves the creek and turns in a northeasterly direction across the mountain ridge, with a deep cut of about three miles through rock averaging 20 feet; and then descending 60 feet, by five double combined locks of 12 feet each, it passes out of the county south of the Ridge road. The county is divided into 12 towns. (Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co. 1851)
Page created by Clayton Betzing.
Page Updated 8/9/2002