Onondaga County New York
History

line.gif (2154 bytes)

Onondaga County was taken from Herkimer in 1794; bounds since altered by the formation of other counties from it. Greatest length N. and S. 36, greatest breadth E. and W. 28 miles. Centrally distant from New York 280 miles, from Albany 135 miles. This county, though not extensive, embraces a most important portion of the territory of this state. Here are the salt springs, an inexhaustible source of immense wealth; beds of gypsum or plaster, of vast extent, hydraulic lime, and common limestone. Surface is diversified. The northern portion of the county is level; the centre and southern rolling, and rising in some places into hills. The soil is generally good, and in some portions excellent, and under high cultivation. Large crops of wheat and Indian corn are annually raised. Both are greatly aided by the use of plaster. The principal lakes are Oneida, Skaneateles, Onondaga, and Otisco. The Rome summit, or long level of the Erie canal, 69~- miles in length, has its western extremity near Syracuse. The county forms part of the military tract, and settlements were first made here in the spring of 1788, while composing part of Whitestown, Oneida county. The county is divided into 18 towns, of which Lysander, Manlius, Marcellus, Onondaga, and Pompey were organized by general sessions in 1789.

(Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co., 1851)

 

 

Return to the Onondaga County Home Page

(c) New York Roots