Ontario Co. News Articles

To best use these pages, you may want to use the "Ctrl F" key function to find a surname you are seeking.  

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

Canandaigua News

- 1901 - 

Back to News Index           Home Page         Back to Canandaigua Index   

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL    Friday      January 4, 1901    Pg 3, col 4          by: Ron Hanley   &  by: M. Kelly
On Sunday evening, Mrs. Rhoda Francisco, widow of Henry Francisco, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joseph M. Francisco, Bristol Street, aged 76 years, 8 months. Death was due to heart disease with other complications. 
She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Norman B. Shaw, of Reed Corners, and Mrs. Joseph M. Francisco, of this village, and one son, Artemus D. Lincoln, of this town.  Mrs. Francisco was twice married, her first husband being Marvin Lincoln. The funeral was held at the Francisco home on Wednesday morning, Rev. J. Q. Adams officiating. Previous to her death there were residing at the Francisco home, four generations, herself, her daughter, Mrs. J. M. Francisco, her grand daughter, Mrs. Bert Quick, and her great grandson, Cecil Quick.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL     Friday      February 1, 1901     Pg  3      by: Ron Hanley
At Canandaigua, January 30, 1901, John R. Rouse, and Miss Julia Marcia Beeman, both of Canandaigua.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL       Friday       February 8, 1901     Pg 3, col 4 & 5      by: Ron Hanley    
At the home of his son on Garden Street occurred the death on Wednesday morning of Chauncey F. Ingraham, aged 85 years, 5 months and two days.  Mr. Ingraham suffered an attack of the grip, which, a few days before his death developed into hiccoughs, from which he died. Deceased was about the last of the old landmarks of the Southern part of the town. He was born on Menteth's Point, September 4, 1815, and his father and mother, Benjamin and Johanna Truman, came with their parents from Massachusetts before the settlement of Canandaigua, making the trip up the outlet in boats. 
Mr. Ingraham was a millwright, and the stream which now trickles down off the hills at Menteth's was then of sufficient size to turn the mill wheels. Deceased engaged in farming during the latter years of his life. 
He is survived by his wife and four children, Miss Mary C. Ingraham, George W., Melvina C. and Hiram C. Ingraham. Funeral services at the Garden St. address and burial at Academy.

Democrat & Chronicle  Rochester, NY      Fri        Mar 15, 1901               by: GSubyak@aol.com

Ami WHITNEY died at his home in Flint, Tuesday evening in the 87th year of his age. He had been in feeble health for some time. Deceased was a life-long resident of Flint having resided nearly if not all his life on the farm on which his father lived and died. Mr. WHITNEY was a highly respected and influential citizen, always taking great interest in the affairs of his town, and always ready to help along any worthy enterprise. He was twice married. His first wife, Ann SHEARMAN, died about thirty-eight years ago, leaving a family of five children, all of whom are living: Mrs. Joel RICE, of Seneca; John S. WHITNEY, of Halls; T. D. and Charles W. WHITNEY, of Flint, and Frank, of Alberta, B. C. His second wife, Miss Cassie RIPPEY, died about six years ago, one son, Professor E. R. WHITNEY, of Binghamton, surviving.


CANANDAIGUA WEDDING - Good Wishes Follow Miss Florence Gail Van Wormer and Charles W. Darling

At the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory L. VAN WORMER, south of Canandaigua, took place last evening the marriage of their daughter, Miss Florence Gail VAN WORMER, to Charles Wesley DARLING, a well-known newspaper man of the village. Only the immediate relatives and neighbors of the contracting parties witnessed the ceremony, which was performed by Rev. H. Wyse JONES, of the Baptist Church.
The bride and groom were attended by Miss Anna MOORE, of Avoca, and Robert D. PATERSON, of Canandaigua. The bride wore white silk, trimmed with white satin and lace, and carried bride roses. Miss MOORE wore light organdie over
silk and carried white carnations. The house was tastefully decorated with cut flowers and plants. After a wedding supper Mr. and Mrs. DARLING departed for a fortnight's trip to New York, Philadelphia and Washington. They will be at
home after April 10th at No. 47 Chapin street, Canandaigua.

Union & Advertiser,   Rochester, Monroe, NY       Fri   Apr 5, 1901                     by: GSubyak@aol.com
Canandaigua, April 5 - The death of Ziba C. CURTICE occurred last evening, following an operation yesterday for the removal of gall stones. Mr. CURTICE came to this town from Victor last May to take the undertaking business of O. N. Crane. His pleasing personality gained for him a host of friends in a short time, and his sudden taking off is sincerely regretted. Deceased was aged about 48 years. A widow, three daughters and one son survive, Misses Lola L., Marion and Helen CURTICE, W. Townsend CURTICE. Mr. CURTICE was a leading member of Canandaigua Masonic circles.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL     Friday       April 12, 1901        Pg 2, col 4         by: Ron Hanley
The sudden death of Ziba C. Curtice at his home in Canandaigua, came as a great shock to the host of friends he possessed in this place.   He came to Victor over twenty years ago, shortly after his marriage, and had resided here until last summer. During that long period he was actively engaged in business. For many years he held the office of town clerk, and also that of village clerk and school clerk. He was an active Mason, and was much beloved by his fellow craftsmen. 
Possessed of a generous and kindly nature he made friends with all. Not in years has a death so touched the community as has his. On the day following his passing away, all over the village could be found little groups of people conversing over the news with saddened faces. Mr. Curtice was an active member of the Presbyterian church, and had been for years the director of its choir. He had planned to assist the choir once more on Easter Sunday, and it was with much effort that the members sang on that day the selections he had in part chosen for them. A large number of friends from this place attended the funeral on Monday, to assist in paying a last tribute of respect to one so much loved. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the family so bereaved.

Democrat & Chronicle        Rochester, Monroe, NY          Fri     July 12, 1901                   by: GSubyak@aol.com

Compliments for Leighton, Lee, Albright, Newman and Downs 
The Summing Up Today  -  Interest Still Continues in the Coercion and Conspiracy case on Trial at Canandaigua - Testimony Yesterday -- ONTARIO

If complimentary declarations as to character and reputation could acquit, the defendants in the Canandaigua conspiracy case would to-day be abroad discharged of the accused crime. As a finale to the long day's work on the defense, Mr. COLMEY produced some twenty of the best known and most reputable citizens of the town to testify to the good character and reputation of the defendants. This closed the defense, and after a little rebuttal testimony, which Judge RICE assured the court should occupy over half of this morning, the case will go to the jury, which Judge RICE expects to find a verdict before to-morrow night.
The defendants, Peter LEIGHTON, Charles W. LEE, Solomon ALBRIGHT, Fred I. NEWMAN and John DOWNS, were placed on the stand during the day and told their stories. All asserted that they were ignorant of having committed an act that could be construed as a crime, in their dealings with any firm declared "unfair" to union organization.

Mr. COLMEY, of counsel for the defense, opened the case at the convening of court yesterday at 9 o'clock. He said he was prepared to produce evidence that would refute any charges of conspiracy or coercion, and would show that his clients were charged with no crime, and that all of their acts had been legal and orderly.

The first witness was Peter LEIGHTON, the president of the local No. 425, Retail Clerks' Protective Association, who told of the union movement in town, the inception of local No. 425, under his direction, and testified that the original intention in the organization of that union was to secure earlier closing hours and thus some relief to overworked employees. He told of his futile efforts to secure the co-operation of F. W. KINDE, who absolutely refused to treat with the union. He then told of the composition of the circular, or "yellow dodger," on which it was stated that the two firms of Bates Brothers and Kinde were "unfair," had discharged, union labor and employed non-union labor, and making various charges against the firms mentioned. On cross-examination the witness acknowledged that he was not well informed as to the employment of non-union men, and that there had been some doubt about other charges made. He also acknowledged that he had never heard Mr. KINDE "run down" the union. He supposed he and others had a right to seek to secure the co-operation of Mr. KINDE in the closing early scheme or to try and compel him to accede to union demands by legitimate means, and he did not consider the means he and his conferees used were other than legitimate. He acknowledged that he meant to injure the business of Mr. KINDE, if he did not accede to union demands. 

John H. DALY told of a conversation had with John KINDE, in which the latter told the former and others that his brother, F. W. KINDE, had told him to look for another job.

Charles W. LEE, Solomon ALBRIGHT and John DOWNS, three other defendants told of the visit to the Kinde store, as a grievance committee of the local unions, to confer there with Mr. KINDE with a view to an amicable settlement. They said they were there unable to come to such settlement. They did not think any act here or any subsequent act toward Mr. KINDE criminal. Mr. ALBRIGHT acknowledged on cross-examination by Judge RICE, that if he had thought anything about it he must have known that the action of the union in placing Mr. KINDE on the unfair list was a practical boycott.

Fred L. NEWMAN, the other defendant is the one who secured the printing of the yellow dodgers. As secretary of the central labor union he was ordered to procure the printing of the circular. He was obeying orders and though he was all right in doing so. he gave out a few of them, when printed, to Peter LEIGHTON and one other union man. The remainder he retained in his custody of a short time when he was warned to destroy them and did so. He stated that he was given the copy for the dodger by Peter LEIGHTON, the president of the clerks' union. Witness then believed that all of the charges of "unfairness" against the complainant, KINDE, were true.   

The examination of all of these men occupied nearly the whole of yesterday, the cross-examinations by Judge RICE, for the people, being very rigid and eliciting many admissions that seemed eminently satisfactory to the attorneys for the prosecution. The principal endeavor was to secure the acknowledgment of all that they knew they were damaging the business of the alleged "unfair" firms, and especially of the complainant, KINDE. The admissions where secured were invariable qualified by the assertions that there was no intent to injure.

Joseph M. FRANCISCO, a well-known Canandaiguan, who happened to be in the big crowd at the KINDE store, the night of November 19th last, when Mr. KINDE kept open till 8 P. M., in accordance with the agreement of a number of merchants and to which he and one or two others were all that had the tem_rity to comply, stated that he saw no such disturbance as was attested by several of the people's witnesses. He was positive that he saw none of the defendants in the crowd, but could not name any of the other members of the crowd.

Then came the testimony as to general reputation and good character of the defendants, for which purpose they called the following citizens: William R. MARKS, merchant; George N. PARMELE, county treasurer; William H. FOSTER, merchant; Simon VORREUTER, merchant; L. L. SMITH, miller; John STEVENS, merchant; E. W. SIMMONS, merchant; George BOOTH, ex-police captain; T. C. PARKHURST, police justice; Frank R. BEECHER, ex-postmaster; Dr. Lot D. SUTHERLAND, dentist; L. MUTSCHLER, meat dealer; Royal R. SCOTT, ex-district attorney; Charles C. SACKETT, deputy revenue collector; George L. GUNNISON, farmer; N. E. HUTCHENS, attorney; John RAINES, Jr., postmaster; William H. WARFIELD, president of the village. Few of these were examined by the prosecution. Judge RICE only asking
one or two if they were affected by the early closing system now in vogue. One of these, E. W. SIMMONS, said he was sure he would object, if compelled to close at 7:30. As Mr. SIMMONS is a druggist and soda water dispenser, his remark,
though natural enough, created some amusement in the court room.

This morning, there will doubtless be an even larger attendance than at any session yet, for the summing up of this interesting case will be followed closely by lovers of oratory and they will be well rewarded. It is seldom that two such effective orators are pitted against each other in a legal debate as are Hon. John B. STANCHILD, Elmira's honored citizen, and Hon. Frank RICE, ex-secretary of state, and one of Canandaigua's most eloquent and convincing speakers.

Judge RICE was inclined to insist upon the closing up of the case last evening, but Mr. RICE declared that he was totally unprepared to submit the final evidence in proper form and after considerable discussion between attorney's and the court, the latter peacefully acknowledged Judge RICE's claim and gave him till this morning for the final touches to what is generally considered a carefully conducted and speedily concluded case.

MARRIAGE - Charles HOWCROFT and Miss Liza McBRIDE, of Fairport, formerly of Honeoye, were married at Rochester Thursday afternoon.

Democrat & Chronicle        Rochester, Monroe, NY     Sat July 13, 1901                 by: GSubyak@aol.com


Unexpected End of Canandaigua Coercion Case Even to Defendants
Jury Took Over Five Hours to Decide the Problem
Brilliant Legal Play - Counsels' Summing up Worthy of the Large Attendance Attracted and
Complimentary Criticism Called Forth -  Eloquent Review and Charge - ONTARIO

The Canandaigua conspiracy trial is at an end. The case went to the jury at 1 P. M. yesterday, and the jury returned a verdict of acquittal at 6:30. The verdict was a great surprise to all, even the defendants.
At an early hour the court house was filled with a throng in which there were a large proportion of women. The announcement that of the best pleuders of the New York state bar were to be pitted against each other attracted this throng, which was repaid for its attendance, as seldom in the annals of Ontario county courts has there been a similarly brilliant legal battle, of which the
proceedings yesterday were a fittingly spectacular finale.  There was some uninteresting rebuttal and surrebuttal at the opening of the court at 9 o'clock, three witnesses being sworn. Then both sides announced that they rested.
At 9:30   Hon. John B. STANCHFIELD, the silver-tongued orator of Chemung county, arose and proceeded with his polished and scholarly address. His remarks were complete in rhetorical and oratorical effect. He gracefully acknowledged the indebtedness of the counsel to the jury for their attention and paid a fitting tribute, albeit a gushing one, to his opponent, Mr. RICE, who assisted the district attorney and who was to follow him in debate.
He commented upon the burden the complainant had brought upon the taxpayers of the county by instituting criminal proceedings, when the speaker contended civil action would have brought as much or greater relief. He endeavored to impress the jury with the idea that in such procedure there was a significant array of money against the poor laboring man; he arrayed the rich against the poor, and infused considerable political flavor into his remarks, so much so that in following him Judge RICE raised an audible smile in the court room by saying the remarks were familiarly similar to those made at Canandaigua during the Elmiran's gubernatorial campaign last fall.
Mr. STANCHFIELD claimed that his clients had committed no crime, that, even if their acts were apparently criminal, they were done without malice pretense. In the issuance of the damaging circular there may have been libel, but no conspiracy or coercion, as charged.
Mr. RICE began his address at 10:30 o'clock. He in turn thanked the jury for their courtesies. He did not feel inclined to accept all the taffy fed him by Mr. STANCHFIELD, but was willing to accord to him the courteous treatment that all visitors to Canandaigua, whether in or out of the courts of justice, invariably receive. He remarked upon the fact that while Ontario county was satisfied with home talent for the trial of its cases, the defendants felt the necessity of securing such able services as only Elmira's ablest son and one of the most distinguished and successful attorneys of the state could render them in their adversity.
Judge RICE then gave what is considered by competent judges to have been one of the most comprehensive and convincing reviews of testimony ever presented to an Ontario county jury, neglecting no small detail in the chain of evidence wherein the strength of his case might be increased. "That was the crowning effort of Judge RICE'S legal career," said one hearer, as the speaker sat down at 1:20 o'clock. In the next twenty minutes Judge RICH, who throughout has given eminent satisfaction in his handling of the jurisdiction of the court to all concerned, presented his brief but concise and convincing charge to the
jury. He told the jurors they must lay aside all prejudice, discharge their duties fearlessly and abide by the evidence and the facts and be swayed by neither argument or charge in coming to their decision. He instructed them as to the rights of laboring men under peaceable conditions, and warned them that it was for them to determine whether or not peaceable means were utilized altogether in this case. He said the circulars in controversy were not to be considered as constituting a factor in the crime of conspiracy, but in their circulation the motive and intent should be considered.
At 1:30 P. M., after a number of requests from both attorneys to charge, Judge RICH ordered the officers to conduct the jury to their deliberations.  Thereafter during the afternoon an anxious throng hung about momentarily expecting a decision. When it was received  the defendants were summoned by a crowd of friends from whom they received hearty congratulations. They treated the jury to a sumptuous banquet at the Webster House later.

Escape of Three More Prisoners From Work on Canandaigua Highway

The attempt to maintain the prison labor law is causing the public highway officials no little trouble in Ontario county. Three more prisoners escaped yesterday while under the care of Commissioner HAIRE at work on the east lake shore highway. This is the third time prisoners employed on the roads have escaped from custody.
Yesterday morning eight men were taken to the lake shore and placed in the commissioner's care. Early in the afternoon they escaped. Word was sent to Canandaigua to Sheriff EDMONSTON, and he started out on a still hunt. He found two of the men, Eugene SOULES and Charles HUNT, but the third, Martin WELCH, was not captured at the last reports. The men HUNT and SOULES are both Genevans.  They have both escaped before while employed on the "chain gang," and they will not have another chance to work on the roads unless they are really anchored with ball and chain.

There is some prospect of Geneva having a new industry in the shape of a piano factory. The board of trade has the matter under consideration. The moving spirit is Malcolm LOVE, formerly at the head of the Malcolm LOVE piano factory at Waterloo. Mr. LOVE has disposed of his interest in that concern and is now considering the feasibility of a factory at Geneva. Some New York capitalists are said to be interested with him. According to present plans they will furnish $25,000 and Mr. LOVE an equal amount starting off with a capital of $50,000.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY       Mon   July 15, 1901            by: GSubyak@aol.com

Two Canandaiguans Who Can Realize on Their Accident Insurance
While S. C. McKECHNIE, manager of Canandaigua grand opera house, was lighting a dynamite firecracker, with which he intended to frighten a lot of sparrows out of a tree in his yard, the cracker exploded in his right hand, badly mutilating it. One finger was nearly torn off, it is thought the injury will heal without amputation.

A rusty nail, which accidentally entered the foot of Horace HARRIS, another well known Canandaiguan, caused injuries that have incapacitated him.

Ontario Co. Chronicle, Canandaigua, NY    October 30, 1901                  by:  Dianne Thomas

Hymeneal - This morning at 7:45 o'clock, Charles Schlick EIGHMEY and Miss Mary LONG, of this village, were married at St. Mary's church by Rev. Father DOUGHERTY.  Miss Nellie LONG, a sister of the bride, and George EIGHMEY of Buffalo, a brother of the groom, attended the bride and groom.  The happy couple took the 8:45 train this morning for a trip to Indian Territory, where they will visit Walter LONG, a brother of the bride, after which they will return to Canandaigua, where they will reside.  The bride is a young woman of gracious manner and has a host of friends in Canandaigua.  The groom is well and favorably known and is in every way worthy so charming a bride. The CHRONICLE extends congratulations.  

Clarence BAILEY, of Corning, who is September 1900, forged the name of George W. BURR of Hector, to a $100 note, which he passed at the Wellington bank, has been sentenced to Auburn prison for four years.  BAILEY is 33 years old and formerly lived in Hector. 

REPOSITORY and MESSENGER      Thursday    December 5, 1901    Pg 4, col  3       by: Ron Hanley

MEATH -  In Canandaigua, December 1st, Bernard Meath, 74 years.

FRONT  PAGE, col 2
Bernard Meath, a well known farmer residing on the Middle Road to Cheshire, died after a brief illness, Sunday. The funeral was held at St. Mary's Church, Tuesday.  He was born in Ireland and came to America 56 years ago, residing a short time in Rochester. Then he located near Cheshire, and had always resided in that vicinity. He was successful in business, and accumulated a competence.  His widow, four sons and three daughters survive, besides a brother, Patrick, of this village.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL      Friday      December 6, 1901     Pg 3, col  6 
DIED -  MEATH       At Canandaigua, December 1, 1901, Bernard Meath, aged 74 years, 8 months, 7 days.
ALSO  SAME  DAY  Pg  3, col 4 
Bernard Meath died at his home, three miles south west of this village, last Sunday evening, after a week's illness with pneumonia, aged 75 years.  Deceased was born in Trinity, County Wicklow, Ireland, and came to this country when 21 years of age. He resided for a time in Rochester, but most of his life had been spent in this vicinity, where as a farmer he had been successful.    
There survive him his wife, seven children, Benjamin, Mary, James, John, Michael, Nora and Annie, all of this town. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. James T. Dougherty, at St. Mary's church on Tuesday.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL      Friday                 December 20, 1901         by: Ron Hanley
A December Bride  -  Miss Anne M. Grieve and Dr. George D. Wood Married
The marriage of Miss Anne M. Grieve and Dr. George Dau Wood was solemnized at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Grieve, Chapin Street, on Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock. The house was converted into a variable garden of green, red and white. Mantels and corners of the rooms were banked in palms, ferns and potted plants, the choicest products of the green houses of Cappon, Balsom and Rhind. Great bunches of holly were suspended from the chandeliers, and red and white ribbons were festooned among the green. Jardineres of red and white chrysanthemums were conspicuous about the rooms. The bay window of the back parlor, in which the bridal party stood during the ceremony, was banked in holly and studded with white chrysanthemums. The curtains which hung in the arch were draped and tied back with wide ribbons in red and white, the colors of the F. S. club, of which the bride is a member. The bridal party entered the parlor to the strains of Mendelssohn's wedding march, played by the bride's sister, Mrs. George T. Thompson. First came the ushers, Arthur Thompson and Harry Wood, a brother of the groom bearing white ribbon ropes, which formed an aisle for the bridal party.  They were followed by Rev. Arthur T. Young, of
East Pembroke, and Rev. John Q. Adams, pastor of the Presbyterian church. The groom walked alone, and behind him came the bride on the arm of her father. She wore an exquisite gown of heavy white embroidered satin, a gift to her when she was in Paris, and carried white roses. Her only ornament was a pearl and diamond pendant, the gift of the groom.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. Arthur T. Young, assisted by Rev. John Q. Adams. The bride was given away by her father.
After congratulations had been offered to the newly made husband and wife, the wedding supper was served by Teall. The bride's table was set in the dining room and covers were laid for 15. The flowers were red chrysanthemums, and the candelabra were decorated  with red shades. Smaller tables were scattered about the rooms for the 80 guests.  The bride received many beautiful gifts, among them a check from her father, a cut glass punch bowl from the members of the F. S. club, and a silver chocolate set from the U. P. B. club. Mr. and Mrs. Wood left at 8 o'clock for the west. On their return they will  reside with Mr. and Mrs. Grieve.
The guests from out of town were: Ernest Woodward, of LeRoy, Dr. A. L. Hipwell and Miss Bess Maxwell, of Buffalo, Frank McCard, Alfred Bushnell, Dr. F. S. Belden, John Walker and Miss Jessie A. Grieve, of Rochester, Ralph Wood, and Miss Nellie Wood, of Ionia, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bareham, Miss Bess Brown and Miss Clara Chapman, of Palmyra, Miss Jennie Atkinson, of Pittsburg, Pa., Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Bullock, of Middlesex, Rev. and Mrs. Arthur T. Young, of East Pembroke, and Mrs.
George Shoemaker, of Phelps.

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY    Friday    Dec 20, 1901      by: Dianne Thomas

Obituary - MC GINNISS

After a long season of patient suffering, extending over a period of several years, occurred the death on Sunday morning of William MC GINNISS, at his home on Coy street.  Deceased was born in New York City and was in the 82nd years of his age.  When a young man he started out to make his fortune.  Traveling up the Hudson, he fell in with a crew of whalers and embarked with them for a long cruse in southern seas.  After a couple of years aboard the vessel and a trip around Cape Horn and in the Southern Pacific, the young man tired of the sea-faring business and left the vessel on the western coast of Mexico.  He wandered to the City of Mexico, were he spent some time.  He traveled northward and finally located in this village.  Still a young man, he learned the mason's trade and became an employing mason.  For years he was recognized as a leading workman of his class and much of the substantial work of his time was done by him.  When the infirmities of advancing years seized him, he was (cut off)



At the Methodist parsonage on Wednesday afternoon, Albert Lester JOHNSON and Miss Mary Maud RICHARDS, both of Hicks Point, were united in marriage by Rev. Dr. J. Wallace WEBB.

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY    Friday    Dec 27, 1901      by: Dianne Thomas

+ John H. JAGER, of this village and Miss Ada C. WOODARD of Utica, were married at the residence of the groom's parents, Mr. & Mrs. Charles JAGER, Coy street, on Tuesday evening at 7:30 o'clock.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. Q. ADAMS, of the Presbyterian church.  The bride and groom were attended by Fred A. JAGER, of Belgium, and Miss Lillian M. JAGER, of this village, a brother and sister of the groom.  About forty guests were present.  Mr. and Mrs. JAGER left for a short wedding trip later in the evening.  Upon their return, they will reside here. 

+ William GANS in Trouble -  Farmers Claim that He Sold Them Liquor in No License Town

Wicks RANDALL, a farmer living near Shortsville, went to that place last Saturday to sell his crop of beans.  He was accompanied by his two brothers, Ernest and George.  They say they went into a hotel and all had a drink of whiskey.  They claim that GANS served them the drinks.  Wicks was left in the place by his brothers at 4 o'clock.  When they returned at 9 o'clock, they claim he was sitting, stupefied, in a chair. Two $20 bills which he was known to have, were missing.  The man himself claimed that he remembered nothing from the time his brothers left until they returned.  Complaint was made to District Attorney THOMPSON in regard to the selling of whiskey in the no-license town of Manchester.  GANS was arrested in this village on Monday, and had in his possession a considerable sum of money.  On Tuesday he was arraigned before Justice John H. HICKS for examination, Hon. John COLMEY appearing for him.  The examination was continued yesterday and re-suited in holding GANS for the grand jury.  It is claimed that GANS had rented the bar of Patrick BURNS, the man who was recently fined $400 for illegal liquor selling. 


+ Miss Martha HOWEY, an instructor in Ogoniz school, Ogoniz, Pa., is visiting her mother, Mrs. Anna M. HOWEY, Gibson street.

+ Mr. & Mrs. C. W. ROBSON and Miss TYLER, who have been in Wiesbaden, Germany, for some time, are now in Nice, France.  

+ Herbert H. FOSTER, of Smithport, Pa., is spending the holiday vacation with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Owen FOSTER, Chapin street. 

+ Mrs. LINNELL and daughters will occupy the BURNETT residence, Main street, during the time Assemblyman and Mrs. BURNETT are in Albany. 

+ Dr. and Mrs. M. R. CARSON and Miss Grace E. CARSON, Main street, spent Christmas with Dr. and Mrs. Robert CARSON at Rochester.  

+ Frederick LEIGHTON of Cornell university, is spending the holidays with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Peter LEIGHTON, West Gibson street. 

+ Miss Elona N. UNDERWOOD, who for a number of years had a position at Brigham Hall, has entered Mt. Sinai hospital, where she will study to be a nurse. 

Miss H. Etta SMITH of Gorham street returned from the Bermudas last week.  She is spending the holidays with her brother and family in Rochester.

+ Mr. & Mrs. Charles WESTCOTT and son and daughter of Seneca Falls, and Miss Alice PALMER of Syracuse, are the guests of Misses PALMER, Gibson street.

+ Mrs. H. W. BARR of Jordan, is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. HOVEY, Howell street.  Lewis J. ROCKWELL of Jordan, was also their guest over Sunday.

+ J. Arden FERGUSON of New Brunswick, NJ, and Harry FERGUSON, of the Philadelphia Dental college, are spending their vacations with their parents, Mr. & Mrs. H. B. FERGUSON.

+ E. Raymond CHURCH, traveling salesman for the Reed Mfg. company of Newark, is spending the holidays with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. E. C. CHURCH, Gibson street.

+ Rev. Dr. & Mrs. J. Wallace WEBB, accompanied by Miss Laura WEBB, are spending a week in New York, with their daughter, Miss WEBB, of Stetson university, Deland, Fla.

+ Mr. & Mrs. John JOHNSON and children, of Penn Yan, and Mrs. George PARMELE, of Rochester and Mr. & Mrs. Henry M. PARMELE of East Bloomfield, were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram T. PARMELE on Christmas day.  

+ Mr. & Mrs. J. W. WOLVERTON serves a sumptuous dinner to guests from New York, Syracuse and Naples, and a few immediate relatives from Canandaigua.  An interesting letter was read from a sister of Mrs. WOLVERTON, now 82 years old, who lives at Chico, Cal.

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2001- 2016

  [NY History and Genealogy]