Ontario Co. News Articles

To best use these pages, you may want to use the "Ctrl F" key function to find a surname you are seeking. 

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

Canandaigua News

1909 - 1910

  Back to News Index            Home Page           Back to Canandaigua Index     

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Friday          Feb 26, 1909                 by:  Dianne Thomas

WILL OF LUCIEN B. GUNN UPHELD IN SUPREME COURT - Effort of Ida S. McOMBER and Another to Break It Fails.

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY    Friday,  Oct 1, 1909   pg  5           by: Dianne Thomas

Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. EIGHMY, happily observed the 25th anniversary of their marriage at their home on Mason street, last evening, surround by a company of 70 relatives and friends.  Mrs. EIGHMY greeted her friends in her wedding gown, which is an heirloom, and is now over 60 years old.  It is of green and white silk tissue.  A bountiful supper was served and a program of music rendered.  The house was decorated with autumn leaves and woodbine.  Over the gay window in the living room, was an arch and large silver figures "1884 - 1909".  the color scheme was green and white.  Frank H. EIGHMY and Miss Fannie DAVIS were married at Victor, NY, at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dennison DAVIS.  Rev. Dwight HISCOX, then pastor of the Baptist church here, was assisted in the ceremony by Rev. Rescon DEXTER, a relative of the bride.  A few of those who attended the wedding were present last night, but most of them have passed away.  Mr. and Mrs. EIGHMY were recipients of many beautiful and useful gifts.  

 ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL     Friday      October 8, 1909     Pg 6, col  2        by:  Ron Hanley
Mrs. Anna C. Kesel, the mother of 19 children, 14 of whom are living, and married 54 years, died at her home near Honeoye Falls on Monday, aged 71 years.  The oldest child is about 50 years of age and the youngest 26. Nine daughters and 5 sons, 37 grandchildren and two great grandchildren survive.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL   Friday       November 5, 1909      Pg 5, col 5              by:  Ron Hanley       

Ross R. Scott, only son of Hon. and Mrs. Royal R. Scott, died at the family home, Main Street North, on Monday (Nov 1st)evening.  The young man had recently suffered from tuberculosis for about a year, and had recently returned home from Lake Placid in good spirits and improved health. Late on Monday evening, after retiring, he suffered a hemorrhage, and died within an hour. 

No death in Canandaigua in recent years has caused more profound sorrow, or stirred such genuine sympathy for the bereaved parents and family. Ross possessed one of those rare dispositions which attracts spontaneous popularity. In school, in business and socially, he was a leader and a favorite.  He was a member of the Baptist Church, both here and in Buffalo while the family resided there, and he was a leader in school athletics, attaining professional rank as a football player. His death cut short a
promising career.

Besides his parents, deceased is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Clifford Cribb, of Rochester, and Misses Ruth and Bessie Scott of this village.  Funeral services were held at the home yesterday afternoon, Rev. J. S. Ebersole officiating, and burial was in Woodlawn.

Ontario County Times, Canandaigua, NY     Dec 17, 1909     by: Ron Hanley


Death Came Peacefully at 1:45 O'clock Yesterday Morning--Toxaemia Cause of Death--Neighbors, County, District and State in Mourning--Sketch of Life of Brilliant Political Leader and Ontario's Most Prominent Citizen--Funeral will be Held Monday Afternoon at 2 O'clock at the Methodist Church.

John Raines, president of the state senate, father of the present election law and the liquor tax law, citizen, soldier and friend, died at 1:45 yesterday morning from tozaemia. Forty-five minutes before his death consciousness left him and he slept his life away, painless and peaceful.

The senator's illness, in spite of the efforts of the best medical skill, was of never halting downward progress since he first felt indisposed in early November. The affection, appearing in stomach and bowels, was puzzling. The patient's response to treatment was not satisfactory. Dr. J. A. Hawley, the senator's physician, called in Dr. Newton W. Collins, of Rochester, and later, Dr. Newman, of Albany, and Dr. Frederick, of Buffalo, were consulted. The case was diagnosed as blood poisoning. Drs. F. P. Warner and H. C. Buell were later called into the case.

Since Friday night a number of depressing and discouraging symptoms appeared, but the patient rallied and hope and despair

alternated almost to the end. 
Senator Raines was a member of Canandaigua lodge, F. and A. M., Excelsior chapter, and the Grand Army post and other organizations.
At the bedside were the senator's three sons, Postmaster John Raines Jr., Charles T. Raines, of New York City, and George Raines, of Rochester, and two daughters, Mrs. W. E. Sylvester, of New York City, and Mrs. J. H. Kessler, of Philadelphia. Mrs. W. H. Welch, the senator's third daughter, is critically ill.
Hon. William L. Parkhurst, Hon. Maynard N. Clement and other close personal friends remained in the hospital until the end came.
The funeral of Senator Raines will be held at the Methodist church on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The service will be conducted by the Grand Army of the Republic. Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery.


Between the hours of 10 A. M. and 1 P. M. on Monday, the body will lie in state in the Methodist church under guard of the 84th Separate Company of Geneva.  A detail from the company will serve as active bearers. The honorary bearers will be announced today.
The family of the deceased senator has received hundreds of telegrams of sympathy from all parts of the country.
The Ontario County Times, with considerable enterprise, issued an extra edition yesterday containing the following accurate, thorough and well prepared sketch of the life of Senator Raines:

Senator Raines was the third John Raines in line of descent, his father and his grandfather, who were both Methodist clergymen and men of force and character, having been so baptized.

Though the Senator never prided himself on the honorable lineage, preferring to rest his reputation upon his own work, it is
interesting to note that he numbered Norman barons among his ancestry and that the homestead of Ryton Grange in Yorkshire, Eng., remains in possession of representatives of the family to this day.
The first John Raines, the Senator's grandfather, gathering the remnants of a fortune badly impaired in the Napoleonic wars, came to America in 1817. After a residence of some years in Philadelphia, the family settled on a farm near Canandaigua, about the year 1830. The son, Rev. John Raines, 2nd, married Mary Remington of this town.
 John Raines, 2nd, was prominent in the Methodist denomination and held important charges in the western part of the State. His large family included four sons, who rose to prominence in political and professional lines: John Raines, the oldest, whose distinguished career as Assemblyman, Congressman and State Senator has just now been ended by death; Thomas Raines, who was State Treasurer in 1871-4 and who now is an honored citizen of the city of Rochester; George Raines, who represented the Monroe district in the State Senate in 1878-9, who gained state wide reputation as a great criminal lawyer, and who died in
Rochester in November, 1908, and William G. Raines, who attained prominence as a lawyer in Washington and New York City and is now living in retirement in Wheeler Station in this county. Two sons, Thaddeus and Eugene Raines, died in early manhood. A daughter, Miss Mary Raines, the youngest member of the family, became the wife of Hon. George F. Yeoman, of Rochester, and is now a resident of that city.
Senator John Raines, the oldest child of Rev. John  and Mary Remington Raines, was born in Canandaigua, May 6, 1840, was educated in the common schools, was graduated from the Albany Law School, taught school for awhile, then engaged in the practice of law in Geneva, relinquished this in the fall of 1861 to raise a company of volunteers for the war, and was commissioned captain of Company G. of the 85th New York Regiment, served in the army of the Potomac and in North Carolina until July, 1863, when he returned to Geneva and resumed the practice of law, removed to Canandaigua in 1867, opening here a law and insurance
From the year last named, 1867, Mr. Raines continued to reside in Canandaigua, and here it was in 1880, when he was 40 years of age, that he received his first political preferment, being elected to the Assembly on the Republican ticket. He was reelected the following year, as was the party custom here in those days.
 It was during this first term of service as a Member of the Assembly that Mr. Raines secured recognition as a sagacious political
leader through the part which he took in the controversies following the resignation of United States Senators Conklin and Platt, and in securing the election to one of the vacancies then created of the Hon. Elbridge G. Lapham, then representing the 27th district of this State in the House of Representatives.
In 1883 Mr. Raines was taken up as a forlorn hope as a candidate again for election to the Assembly, against the Hon. Frank
Rice, then a candidate for his second term, and was defeated. In 1884 he was again nominated for the office and was elected over the Democratic candidate, Hon. Nathan Oaks.
The following year, 1885, Mr. Raines was nominated and elected to succeed Hon. Thomas Robinson as the representative of the old 28th, or Ontario-Schuyler-Wayne-Yates District in the State Senate. He was reelected to this office in 1887, and in 1890 went to Congress as the representative of the 29th Congressional district Ontario-Steuben and Yates counties, and he remained a member of that body for two terms, or until 1894, when the State having been reapportioned, he was thrown into the same district with the Hon. Sereno E. Payne and retired in the latter's favor. At the special election held that year for filling the vacancy caused by the resignation of Hon. Charles T. Saxton, elected to the office of Lieutenant Governor, Mr. Raines was elected again to the State Senate. In the following year, 1895, he was returned from the new 42nd district, comprising the counties of Ontario and Wayne, in the face of bitter and determined opposition both at the primaries and at the polls, the Democratic candidate being the Hon. J. Henry Metcalf. In 1898 and at each biennial election of State Senators since that date, Mr. Raines has been accorded unanimous re-nomination to the office in which he had gained such distinction, and was each time successful by a large majority, though opposed at successive elections by some of the strongest Democratic leaders in the district.
Senator Raines early developed peculiar aptitude for legislative work and also forensic ability of a high order. Following
his return in 1895 to his old and always his best beloved work, that of the State Senate, he took hold of the tangle in which the efforts to secure a new ballot law had been thrown by the controversies between the Republican Legislature and the Democratic Governor and introduced the blanket ballot bill, which became a law at the same session and which has remained with slight amendments to the present time, being recognized as a most efficient agent for securing a fair election and an honest count.
It was the following year, 1896, that Senator Raines introduced that radical departure in excise legislation known as the liquor tax
bill, and it was through his able advocacy of the measure on the floor of the Senate and his skillful mustering of the forces necessary to secure its passage that it was finally enacted and placed upon the statute book. No measure of legislation ever called down upon its sponsor such a storm of denunciation and ridicule as did the Liquor Tax law upon Senator Raines. From one end of the State to the other he was anathematized by the liquor interests, timid leaders of his own party predicted that he had sounded the death knell of Republican control, and the city papers in editorials and cartoons held him up to public derision as the Buckwheat Senator.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY    Monday        Feb. 28, 1910                      by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Death in Canandaigua Hospital After Long Search for Health
Canandaigua  -  Feb. 27 - Edward FLINT, 30 years of age, died in the Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons at 5 o'clock this morning of tuberculosis, after fourteen months of illness. He had traveled to San Francisco and then to Arizona in search of health, and returned to Geneva six weeks ago. Four weeks ago he came to the hospital here.
Mr. FLINT leaves his wife and a daughter, 5 years old, in San Francisco. He also leaves three sisters, Mrs. John VAN BROOKER and Miss Eva FLINT, of Canandaigua, and Miss Sila FLINT, of Bath, and two brothers, George FLINT
coroner at Canandaigua, and Harry FLINT, of New York city.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY     Tuesday     Mar 1, 1910                      by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Ira Cooper Passes Away in Hospital in Canandaigua ---Two Houses Destroyed

Canandaigua, Feb. 28 - Ira COOPER, the aged man who was burned in the fire at Chapin Sunday evening, died in the Canandaigua Hospital for Physicians and Surgeons at 9 o'clock. Mr. COOPER was burned about the head, arms and one leg, and the burns were deep. He did not recover consciousness after the fire.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, N.Y.     Mar. 12, 1910                  by: GSubyak@aol.com


Well-Known Canandaigua Man Dies in Memorial Hospital

Canandaigua  -  March 11 - Ralph H. HAYES, a well known resident of this place, died yesterday morning at 6:30 o'clock at the Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons, aged 49 years. Mr. HAYES had been confined to his bed with paralysis for the last three years.
The deceased was born in East Bloomfield, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph HAYES. The mother died here a few months ago. Mr. HAYES is a  printer by trade, and for a number of years was foreman for the Messenger of this place.
Mr. HAYES leaves his wife, two sons, Gordon, of this place, and Carleton C., of Geneva; one sister, Mrs. E. C. FINSEY, of Rochester, and one daughter- in-law (didn't get rest of article)

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL       April 29, 1910       by:  Ron Hanley 
Mr. and Mrs. Stanton Kirkham, and daughter, Mary, who have been spending several months at Wilford Place, Pinewood, S.C., will arrive in Canandaigua, next week.

Victor Herald, Victor, NY    Friday             July 1, 1910                             by: Dianne Thomas

While Ambrose T. LANE was building a wire fence on his farm west of this village, last Friday afternoon, a piece of wire which he was cutting snapped into his face badly lacerating the right eye.  Mr. LANE caught a Rochester and Eastern car for Rochester almost immediately and went to a hospital for treatment.  So badly was the eye injured that it was found necessary to remove it that evening.  As Mr. LANE is suffering from what is thought to be a cataract on the left eye, the loss of the other is a doubly sore affliction.  The injured man is making a good recovery from the operation and expects to return to his home, this week.

Clayton GILL of Warsaw, has been awarded $11,500 damages for injuries received in an accident at Elmira while he was in the employ of the Erie railroad. 

+  A dog owned by N. W. THOMPSON and said to be worth $100, was killed by "Bob" HALL, the Canandaigua dog catcher, Wednesday.  It is said that THOMPSON will sue Sheriff GOODING to recover damages on the ground that the quarantine is illegal.  

Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. WHITE, of Rochester, who were stopping at the New Seneca Hotel at Seneca Falls, were burned to death early Sunday morning when fire broke out in the hotel.  The blaze spread to other adjoining buildings and the loss is estimated at $40,00 to $50,000. 

+  Sale of "Messenger" Postponed - The sale of the property of the Messenger Printing company of Canandaigua, which was advertised to take place Tuesday, was not held but an adjournment was taken until July 5, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, by order of Referee Earl S. WARNER of Phelps.  The property to be sold consists of the business block on Main street here, the presses and all machinery of the establishment, the subscription list and good will of the business, etc. 

THE VICTOR HERALD     July 1, 1910     Pg 1, col 4     by:  Ron Hanley  
Simonds - Cooper
The marriage of Miss Mary Elwell Cooper, of Canandaigua, and Warren French Simonds, of this village, took place at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lafayette Cooper, of No. 76 Chapel Street, Canandaigua, at two o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, June 22.
The ceremony was performed by Rev. Livingston L. Taylor in the presence of about twenty relatives and friends.  The bride was attired in a gown of white batiste with trimmings of baby Irish lace. She carried a bouquet of white roses and wore a pearl bandeau in her hair. The rooms were attractively decorated with palms, ferns, mountain laurel, peonies and roses. A wedding supper
was served.  After a western trip, Mr. and Mrs. Simonds will reside in this village (Victor).

CULLEN - BROCKLEBANK - The marriage of Miss Maude BROCKLEBANK and Leo CULLEN, both of Canandaigua, took place at St. Mary's rectory in that town, on Wednesday morning, June 29.  Rev. James T. DOUGHERTY performed the ceremony.  Miss BROCKLEBANK had been supplying in the local telephone exchange for the past few weeks. 

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, N.Y.  Wed,    Aug. 10, 1910                  by: GSubyak@aol.com

HOFF - In this city, Tuesday morning, August 9, 1910, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. August SE(I or L)SER, No. 143 Lewis street, Margaret HOFF, widow of John HOFF, of Canandaigua, aged 83 years. Besides her daughter she is survived by two sons, Robert HOFF, of Rochester, and John HOFF, of Cleveland, Oh., eleven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Funeral (private) on Thursday. Burial at Canandaigua. Kindly omit  flowers

 ONTARIO  COUNTY  JOURNAL          October 21, 1910                  by:  Ron Hanley    
Last week Thursday night Mr. and Mrs. L. D. Herendeen were painfully injured when their horse ran away down Entrenchment Hill, in Farmington. Mr. Herendeen suffered a broken ankle and his wife a fractured wrist.

ONTARIO  COUNTY  JOURNAL     Friday    December 2, 1910             by:  Ron Hanley 
Yesterday afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ira P. Cribb, Park Street, occurred the death of Mrs. Waity Gifford, widow of the late Samuel Douglass, aged nearly 86 years. Mrs. Douglass suffered a slight stroke about three weeks ago from which she was recovering, but her great energy exceeded her strength, and last Saturday in endeavoring to get about, she fell, fracturing her shoulder and injuring her hip, which injuries caused her death. 
Deceased was born in Pittstown, Renssealear County, in Jan. 1814, and had been a resident of this town for many years. Up to six years ago, when her husband died and she came to live with her daughter, she had resided upon a farm in this town. 
There survive two daughters, Mrs. Cribb and Mrs. Isiah Case, and two sons, Fred G. Douglass and James S. Douglass, all of this town.  Funeral services will be held at the home of Mrs. Cribb tomorrow afternoon, and burial will be in Woodlawn. Dr. Copeland, pastor of the Methodist church, of which Mrs. Douglass had long been a member, will officiate.
Mrs. Waity G. Douglass died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ira P. Cribb, 120 Park Street, Thursday afternoon at 2 25 o'clock.  The funeral services Saturday afternoon at three o'clock, were conducted by Rev. Dr. Arthur Copeland, of the Methodist church, assisted by Rev. Livingston L. Taylor of the Congregational church. Interment was at Woodlawn cemetery.
On the 5th day of November Mrs. Douglass suffered a stroke of paralysis from which she was rapidly recovering, when three weeks later she fell while attempting to walk in her room, sustaining a broken shoulder bone, and an internal injury. She grew weaker from this time until the time of her death five days later.
Mrs. Douglass was born in Pittstown, NY, January 27, 1825, where she lived until her marriage to Samuel S. Douglass in 1846. Mr. Douglass died about six years ago, since which time Mrs. Douglass made her home with Mrs. Cribb. Mr. and Mrs. Douglass moved to Canandaigua fifty three years ago.
Five children survive, Mrs. Ira P. Cribb, Mrs. I. I. Case, Miss Mary Douglass, Fred G. Douglass, and James S. Douglass.  Bert Warfield and Mrs. Stephen Beach are children of Mrs. Caroline Warfield, a deceased daughter of Mrs. Douglass. She leaves fifteen grandchildren and eight grandchildren.
Mrs. Douglass was well educated and possessed a remarkably brilliant mind to the very last. Her wit and keen sense of humor were a continual source of pleasure to her friends and family. She was a constant reader, and did not permit old age to interfere with her
interest in the happenings of the world. Only a few days before her death she expressed herself most decidedly upon certain political conditions.
For a great many years Mrs. Douglass had been a member of the Methodist church, and took great interest in its activities. She
possessed a sweet Christian character. Contemplating death calmly she looked forward with happiness to the life hereafter. Sacrificing for others, optimistic and cheerful, she leaves an influence for better things that will live for years to come in the hearts of loved ones, and those privileged to know her intimately.

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2001 - 2016

        [NY History and Genealogy]