Ontario Co. News Articles

To best use these pages, you may want to use the "Ctrl F" key function to find a surname you are seeking.  

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

Canandaigua News

1918 - 1919

Back to News Index                Home Page        Back to Canandaigua Index

Unknown Paper, Canandaigua, NY             1918          by: Dianne Thomas

+  In Surrogates Court, at Lyons, on Monday, an inventory was filed by Charles B. HERENDEEN and Josephine M. REED, executors of the estate of Helen A. LAPHAM, late of the town of Macedon, showing the amount of cash on hand, $9,502.62; promissory notes, $7,826.78; bonds and mortgages, $4,004.30' wardrobe and jewelry, $200, making a total estate of $21,533.70.

 THE VICTOR HERALD         Front  Page,   col 3         1918           by: Ron Hanley
Canandaigua Boys Are Cited for Bravery
Six Canandaigua members of the 102nd Sanitary Train, formerly known as the Second Ambulance Company, have been cited for bravery by
Major General John F. O'Ryan.
Those thus distinguished are: Frederick Scandling, John Colmey, James F. Hobbins, John Kelly, Eliott Brockelbank and Stanley Hicks.
According to notices received the citations were officially announced at morning parade of the company on February 4th. Each of the six Canandaiguans received a personal commendation signed by General O'Ryan, commander of the 27th Division, of which the 102nd Sanitary
Train is a part.
Colmey, Hobbins, Kelly and Brockelbank were cited for "demonstrations of courage and devotion to duty in driving over roads under heavy shell fire." Hicks was commended for conspicuous "devotion to duty in all battles in which the unit engaged." Scandling was honored for "gallantry in crawling forward under heavy enemy fire  from a first aid post to a shell hole and carrying therefrom to a place of shelter a wounded officer during the battle of the Hindenburg line on September 27th."
In a letter to relatives written under date of February 5th, and relating the facts of the citations, one of the number thus honored states: "Now don't get the idea that we who were lucky are little tin heroes or anything like that because practically every man in the company deserved as much and some of them perhaps more than we, but for some reason were left out. I know lots of others have done as much as I."

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY    Friday,        Feb 1, 1918       by: Dianne Thomas

Memorial Service - An impressive memorial service was held at the Congregational chapel on Sunday afternoon in honor of James Leon SIMPSON, whose death occurred in France, last week.  Rev. Livingston L. TAYLOR conducted the service and Hon. Robert F. THOMPSON made brief remarks.  The members of Company K and the Women of the World, of which Mr. SIMPSON was a member, attended in a body and appropriate hymns were sung by a large chorus.  A god star had been placed on the service flags of the Woodman and the Congregational church in memory of Mr. SIMPSON.  He is the first Canandaiguan to give his life in the great war.  (part cut off)    ... The funeral services were held at the Congregational chapel on Wednesday afternoon,  Rev. Livingston L. TAYLOR officiated.  Interment was at Woodlawn.  

+ Dr. Frederick C. MC CLELLAN, son of Mrs. Fred E. MC CLELLAN, Main street north, has enlisted in the Medical Reserve Corps and received a commission as first lieutenant.  He is an intern in the Post Graduate Hospital, New York City.

+ Mr. & Mrs. W. Bushnell OSBORNE left for their home in Portland, Ore. on Monday evening, after spending some time with relatives in Canandaigua and Victor.  They were accompanied by Miss OSBORNE and Miss Ruth OSBORNE, of Victor. 

+ Private William H. WELCH, who is stationed at Camp Wadsworth, at Spartanburg, S.C., is spending a brief furlough with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. William H. WELCH, Gibson street.

+ Rev. John Q. ADAMS, of Auburn and Rev. J. J. LAWRENCE of Binghamton, former pastors of the Presbyterian church, were guests of Mrs. L. M. WILLYS, Main street north, on Monday evening.

Howard TYNER of Canandaigua, who entered the officers training camp at Camp Sherman, Chillocothe, Oh., a few weeks ago, has been ordered to report at Pittsburgh, where he is to serve as a chemist in government work.

+ Miss CAMERON, superintendent of nurses at Memorial hospital, has been spending several days at Utica and Syracuse, where examinations for nurses have been held.  Miss CAMERON is state examiner.

The Phelps Citizen             Thursday          Sept 5, 1918               by: Dianne Thomas

OBITUARY - Eliza BISHOP BELL - Mrs. Eliza A. BELL, wife of William BELL, who resides at the Cape, three miles northwest of this village, died suddenly of heart failure on Friday.  She had gone from home in the morning, seemingly in the best of health and cheer, to do some shopping in Newark, an no one had occasion to anticipate any results out of the ordinary.  She started for home driving her horse and buggy without the driver led to an investigation.  By the side of the highway near the Daniel CASE farm on the Newark road, early in the afternoon, the body of Mrs. BELL was found by Clarence VANDERLYKE, who was one of the party who was sent out to find the missing woman.  The general opinion obtained, sustained by the facts in the case, that Mrs. BELL had been stricken with heart failure and had fallen from the buggy, where her body was found.  Dr. Ina BURT was called and stated that Mrs. BELL had been subject to heart trouble. 

Mrs. BELL was the daughter of William and Eleanor BISHOP and was born in Manchester center on Oct 20, 1848, being in the 70th year of her age. She was married to William BELL in 1870 and is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. H. W. CLARK of Chardon, O.; a son, Rev. William S. BELL, of Dayton, O.; her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth HOLBEN and six grandchildren.  

Mrs. BELL was well known in the community and was highly respected by all.  She was faithful to her home and family and ready to respond to the needs of others.  The funeral was held from the home on Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. W.H. YORK officiating, and burial was in Gypsum.

Herbert C. FLOOD - After an illness of nearly three years, Herbert C. FLOOD at the family home northwest of Phelps on Tuesday, aged 58 years. Mr. FLOOD was born in Coldwater, Mich., on Feb 18, 1860, and for 35 years has been a resident of this town.  He was a farmer by occupation, and for several years conducted a milk route in the village which he disposed of more than a year ago on account of ill health.  He was married to Rosa E. CASE of Phelps in 1909, who survives him with four sons, Harold, Theodore, Charles and William; and four daughters, Laura, Eunice, Clara and Grace FLOOD.  His mother, Mrs. Ruth PORTER, a half brother and two half sisters, Elsworth PORTER and Mrs. Margaret PETERSON, all of Clifton Springs, are survivors.  The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at the family home; his pastor, Rev. W. H. YORK, officiating.  The burial was in Resthaven (cemetery).

* Cards of Thanks.  We desire to express our appreciation of the kindly acts of our neighbors and friends in our bereavement . We especially wish to thank those who contributed the beautiful flowers and furnished automobiles for the funeral.   Mrs. H. C. FLOOD and Family

Margaret RUBERY of this village, is executor of the will of her father, Michael SHERRY, who died at Oakmount Sanitarium,  last month leaving property valued at upward of $300, all of which passes to the executor. 

A family gathering was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred MARSH last evening, in honor of their son Henry, who leaves for Camp Jackson, SC, today.  Henry was presented with a wrist watch.  

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY    Friday,        Feb 8, 1918       by: Dianne Thomas

EDGETT - The death of Frank A. EDGETT, occurred at his home on Catherine street on Friday evening, from Brights disease and pneumonia.  He had been in failing health for some time and had been confined to the house for nine weeks.  Deceased was born at Ferguson's Corners, 51 years ago.  After coming to Canandaigua he was employed as attendant at Brigham Hall.  About 20 years ago he became associated with the W. W. Wilcox grocery store and later with the Tracey & Parmele grocery firm.  When taken ill, he was employed at the A. B. Parmele store.  He was a well known and a citizen of the highest character, whose whole life was upright and honorable in all things.  There survive his wife, Mrs. Ursula Tracey EDGETT and five sisters and a brother, Mrs. Lillie ALLEN and Mrs. Neva SCOTT, both of Ferguson's Corners; Mrs. Cora CHAPMAN of Reeds Corners; Mrs. Minnie LINK of Gorham; and Mrs. Mary SWEICKARD of Rochester and Clarence EDGETT of South Bristol.  The funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon, Rev. C. Clarence BAKER, pastor of the Presbyterian church, of which deceased was an attendant, officiated.  The Knights of the Maccabees, Tent No. 168, of which deceased was a member, attended the services.  Interment was in Woodlawn.

WAS PIONEER BUSINESS WOMAN - Mrs. Amelia ACKLEY Passed Away (Feb 2nd)  at the age of 90 Years - Was Oldest Church Member -    Mrs. Amelia ACKLEY, on of the oldest residents of Canandaigua, passed away peacefully at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary A. PRUNER, Garden street, on Saturday, after an illness of four days.  Death was due to general disability.  Deceased was born in Birmingham, England, on September 21, 1827 and was the youngest of 13 children born to Alfred and Ann TIDMAN.  She came to this country when 17 years of age and after a few weeks spent in New York City, journeyed over the Erie canal to Palmyra, where she was met by relatives, with whom she drove to Canandaigua.  On September 3, 1849, she was married to Benjamin Harrison ACKLEY at St. John's church.  Mr. ACKLEY was a member of the 126th Regiment (Co. K) and his death occurred in 1874, after a long period of invalidism.  At his entrance into the war, Mrs. ACKLEY entered into active business life and was a pioneer business woman in Canandaigua.  She was engaged n the selling of millinery for many years. Her industrial habits were ever manifest and on the Tuesday before her death she was 'doing her bit" by finishing two bed quilts of bright silk pieces, star design.  Her mind was wonderfully active until the end.  During her last days she was intensely interested in the world war, but had early expressed a which that she might not live to the suffering.  She often prayed to see the soldiers of her country returning victorious from the the battlefields.  Christianity, optimism, intense patriotism and love for her church endeared her to a large circle of friends.  She was the oldest member of St. John's church, with which she was actively associated as long as she was able.  The funeral services were held at the late home on Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Herbert L. GAYLORD officiated.  There survive, one daughter, Mrs. Mary A. PRUNER; one son, Henry H. ACKLEY of Rochester; six grandchildren and six great grandchildren.  The remains were placed in the vault at Woodlawn.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL    Friday     February 22, 1918      Front Page, col 6      by: Ron Hanley

SIMMONS -  The death of Mrs. Maria Pennell Simmons, widow of Dr. Elnathan W. Simmons, occurred at her home on Gibson Street, on Monday after a long illness. She was born in Bristol on March 8, 1830, and was a daughter of Horace and Lois Pennell.
There survive two sons, Charles R. Simmons, of Bristol, and Edward W. Simmons, of Canandaigua, one daughter, Mrs. Henry A. Beeman, of Canandaigua, a sister, Miss Elvira Pennell, of Canandaigua, and a brother, Edward Pennell, of Chicago, Ill.  Rev. Herbert L. Gaylord officiated at the funeral services on Tuesday afternoon. The interment will be in West Avenue cemetery.

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY  Friday     February 22, 1918   by: Dianne Thomas


FITZSIMMONS - The remains of Isabel Donovan FITZSIMMONS, aged four days, infant daughter of Robert J. and Sarah Donovan FITZSIMMONS, formerly of Canandaigua, were interred at Calvary cemetery, yesterday.  Death occurred at New York City on Wednesday. 

SMITHEM - The death of Ruth Vivian SMITHEM, aged 11 months, daughter of Albert E. and Hilda Brahm SMITHEM, occurred on Tuesday, following an illness of a complication of diseases.  She leaves her parents.   The funeral services were held from the home on Tillotson street yesterday afternoon, Rev. W. H. YARD officiated.  Interment was in the Sand Hill Cemetery.

TUTTLE - The death of Ralph M. TUTTLE, occurred at Memorial hospital, on Saturday, following an operation for appendicitis.  He was seven years old.  There survive, his mother Mrs. Marie TUTTLE; on brother, Charles S. TUTTLE and his grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Charles M. STEELE, all of Canandaigua.  The funeral services were held at the home on Gibson street on Monday.  Rev. Herbert L. GAYLORD officiated.  Interment was at Woodlawn.  

ROSE -  The death of George V. ROSE, formerly of Canandaigua, occurred at Rochester on Wednesday night.  He leaves his widow and three daughters, Arlene, Luella and Eleanor ROSE; his mother, Mrs. Mary ROSE, and a brother, Norman ROSE.  The funeral services will be held at 331 Columbia avenue.  

LINDNER - Word was received here on Monday of the death of Andrew LINDNER, formerly of Canandaigua, at Los Angeles, Cal.  Deceased was well known here.  He leaves one brother, Dr. John LINDNER and two sisters, Miss Elizabeth LINDNER and Mrs. Helen RAINER, of Rochester.  Interment will be at Canandaigua.  

+ Mr. & Mrs. Henry H. EIGHMY, Pleasant street, entertained relatives on Saturday in honor of the birthday of their son, Frank H. EIGHMY.  

+ Mr. & Mrs. Frank EIGHMY, Mason street, are visiting their daughter, Mrs. Nelson BROWNELL at Buffalo.

+ Mrs. John J. MATTISON, Center street, who is in New York City on business, will today be joined by her daughter, Miss Marjorie MATTISON, a student at Vassar. 

+ Hon. and Mrs. Harry I. DUNTON, West Gibson street, are entertaining Mrs. DUNTON'S mother, Mrs. M. S. FRINK, of Philadelphia, Pa.  

+ Mrs. Charles ELWELL, of Middlesex, was an over Sunday guest of her brother, W. H. BRANDOW, and family, West Gibson street.  

+ Mrs. George J. DENNISTON of Syracuse, entertained friends at the home of her mother, Mrs. George W. CLARKE, Main street north, on Wednesday evening.  

+ J. Frank MC SHERRY has resigned as foreman of the Canandaigua Gas Light Company, to take a position in Buffalo.  Mr. MC SHERRY will remove his family to Buffalo early in the spring.

+ Mrs. Maurice L. BENHAM, Dailey avenue, is visiting Mrs. Frank JOBES at Honeoye Falls.

+ Mrs. Flora WATSON, who had been visiting her brother, Z T. DARROW, Chapin street, returned yesterday to her home at Schuyler lake.  

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY,      Friday,      March 1, 1918     by: Dianne Thomas

SAWDEY - Lewis Elmer SAWDEE, aged 49 years, formerly of Canandaigua, died at Willard state hospital on Saturday.  He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Wright SAWDEY; two sons, Charles and Linus SAWDEY; one daughter, Mrs. Ethel RUMSEY, of Rochester, from where the funeral was held on Tuesday, and two sisters.  

SHERBURNE At Hopewell, Feb 22, 1918, James B. SHERBURNE, aged 71 years.  Interment at Reeds Corners.   Mr. SHERBURNE died on Friday of heart trouble while with his daughter, Mrs. COSTON.  He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. J. C. COSTON; Mrs. Edna JOHNSON of Rushville, and Mrs. A. K. HOKE of East Worcester; three sisters, Mrs. Fred BURGESS of Geneva; (cut off)   (not sure if from this newspaper)

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY,      Friday,      March 28, 1918     by: Dianne Thomas

PARSHALL - The funeral service of Mrs. Sophia PARSHALL, aged 86 years, whose death occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Marvin CORSER, at Geneva, on Saturday, were held on Sunday.  Interment was in West avenue cemetery. 

Democrat & Chronicle,    Rochester, Monroe, NY             July 1, 1918                  by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Canandaigua  -  June 30 - Two people were seriously and perhaps fatally injured in an automobile accident, about four miles northwest of Canandaigua on the Rochester road, about noon to-day. Two of the injured, Mrs. Ida BALDWIN and her son, Samuel BALDWIN, are at the Thompson Memorial Hospital here and the other two injured. Mr. and Mrs. Frank BUNN, are at the residence of Barney SPIKE, No. 28 Bristol street here, cousins of the BUNN'S.
The party reside at Watkins and were on their way to Rochester where they expected to spend the night with Ernest BUNN, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank BUNN, who resides at No. 54 Westchester street, Rochester. Tomorrow the party expected to attend a funeral. They left Watkins this morning and after riding awhile BUNN took the wheel although he was not an experienced driver. 
While turning out to meet another car, BUNN thought he was going to go too far to the right and turned the wheel rather sharply, swerving the light car to the left so quickly that the machine quickly rolled over to the right, pinning the occupants beneath it. One cause of the accident was that the two heaviest persons, it was said, were on the right side of the car and their weight helped to cause the machine to roll over.
Help was obtained and the injured were brought to Canandaigua as soon as possible, where their injuries were attended so far as possible at the present time. Frank BUNN, about 50, has a badly lacerated scalp and an arm and hip much bruised and skinned. His wife suffered severe bruising of the left side of the face, the skin being almost wiped off and the back of her left hand is almost skinless also. Her shoulder is almost bruised and perhaps more severely injured. Mrs. Ida BALDWIN, about 50, has a fractured shoulder blade and several ribs are torn loose from her spine, which may also be fractured or badly injured, it being impossible to ascertain as yet as she is suffering intensely. Samuel BALDWIN, 22, has a fractured skull with blood from his nose and mouth shortly after the accident. He also has a badly gouged and bruised left eye. Dr. H. C. BUELL attended the injured.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL               Fri.   August 2, 1918    Front Page       by: Ron Hanley
Dr. James A. Hawley, Aged 89 Years, Had Practiced Medicine for over 60 Years.


In the death of Dr. James A. Hawley at his home on Center Street Wednesday morning, the oldest practicing physician of the state passed away. His career constitutes another of the monuments of mighty usefulness left by a Canandaiguan to benefit his fellowmen by the inspiration of his example. 
Dr. Hawley was born at Branchport on September 9, 1829, and started life on a farm. How he drifted from farming into medicine can best be learned from his own words told a short time ago. My father came to me one day and said, Jim, you'll never make your salt at farming. 
I didn't like farming and I was pleased to hear him say that. It made it easy for me to get away from home to try something else. With my worldly possessions in a sack over my shoulder, I started out with no particular object in view. 
I drifted into Canandaigua where I was glad to get a job at a dollar a day and board at the carpenter trade. After a year at that, the boss, before renewing an agreement with me, said I would have to stand his test of what constituted a journeyman carpenter. I must hew from the rough, dress and put together a four panel door in ten hours. I did it in five minutes short of the time, which so pleased the boss that he offered me 1.50 and I board myself. I didn't accept. I suppose the truth of the matter was that carpentering was too much like work for me. By the way, that door still does duty in the tenant house on C. C. Sackett's farm. 
I had made up my mind I wanted to be a doctor. An epidemic in the neighborhood of my father's farm was reaping an appalling harvest of deaths. The doctors in that locality lost so many patients that their methods were generally discredited. I contracted the disease and well remember my refusal to take the dope prescribed by the physician. Jim, said father pleadingly, if you don't take this medicine you'll die. And if I do take it I'll die, I protested. An old fellow named Simmons, a farmer with no medical skill, was outdistancing the medical men by administering a tea made from spider root. I took it and got well, as did many others. 
The incident caused me to have a distrust in the doctors of that neighborhood. Finally an electric practitioner came along and got results from his ministrations. I hadn't given up the notion that I wanted to be a doctor who could cure the people. I had saved some money and began my studies at Syracuse. We received our diplomas then after a two year course. I came back home and hung out my shingle. 
I was not long in discovering that I was not so different from the doctors whom I had criticized. I determined that a successful doctor is one who cures people, and I stopped looking at my sheepskin awarded to me on graduation and began to study. I took a post graduate course in Philadelphia. I tried to understand every case and know what treatment that particular case rewired. 


Dr. Hawley first practiced at Branchport, then located near Minneapolis, Minn. He returned here at the outbreak of the Civil War with the belief then current that the Union would be rent asunder and the great Mississippi waterway closed to the North, which seemed then was destined to kill the growing West. There were a few railroads and the development of that mode of transportation was not dreamed of. 
Dr. F. C. Hawley, with whom Dr. Hawley practised here, died many years ago. Later, Dr. George Gregg was associated with Dr. Hawley, but in May, 1913, Dr. Hawley retired from the medical firm of Hawley and Gregg, after 56 years of active practice. Since that time he had answered calls in aid of special cases and was often called in consultation. Of late he had given medicine at his home to those who called. 
The end of Dr. Hawley was in a way typical of the man. He was as ready for the summons from an angel of death to visit his Maker as he had always been for the summons of his fellowmen, the women and children to account to them professionally. 
The grief that fills the heart is widespread and is so deep that not for many years will his kind deeds be forgotten or the memory of his skill, his influence, his benevolences be effaced from the memory of those left behind. The good that he has done is of inestimable value. 
Dr. Hawley leaves his widow and a number of nieces and nephews.  Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon. Rev. George E. Finlay will officiate. The Masons will have charge of the services at the grave at Woodlawn.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, NY           Sat            Sept 28, 1918        by: GSubyak@aol.com 

Canandaigua, Sept. 27 - Harold A. BENHAM, in the Rainbow Division in  France, son of Mr. and Mrs. Milo BENHAM, of Chapin, has been promoted from  corporal to sergeant.
Howard PRUNER, of Canandaigua, has been promoted to a sergeancy at Camp McClellan, Ala.
Donald TOWNSEND, formerly of this city, has been commissioned a lieutenant, following a period of instruction at the Officers' Training School at Camp Hancock, Ga.
Corporal Levi CORSER has arrived overseas with the 830th Aero Squadron.
Private Earl BENDER, of Chapin street, has returned to Camp Dix after spending a short furlough at his home here.
A commission as second lieutenant in the artillery has been awarded to Atwood G. DeCOSTER, of Rochester and Vine Valley, on the east shore of  Canandaigua lake, after a course of training in the Plattsburg camp which he completed September 16th.
Seaman Joseph TAYLOR, of the U.S.S. Seattle, has been spending a week's furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter TAYLOR, of this city. He has already been to Spain on one trip on the Seattle.
Private John Joseph COWAN, of this city, a member of the 307th infantry, Company I., writing to relatives here, relates of having been left behind by his commander to care for a sick horse in a wood that had recently been filled with  Huns. He remained in the wood four days caring for the sick animal. He says "if  you think staying alone in a bug woods with a pile of ammunition on one side of  you and a grave on the other is a lot of sport, try it some dark night." Private  COWAN says also that the Germans will not fight man to man, but as soon as an  American get near one, up goes his hands with a shout of "Kamerad."

ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES      October 2, 1918        by: Ron Hanley

 CANANDAIGUA,  in THE DRY COLUMN -  Martin Muldoon, proprietor of the Imperial Hotel, has retired from its management, and will remove to Rochester. Thomas P. Flynn, owner of the property will conduct it as an eating and rooming house

Democrat & Chronicle,    Rochester, Monroe, NY      Tuesday       Oct. 15, 1918            by: GSubyak@aol.com   

Canandaigua - Oct. 14 - The funeral of Mrs. Carrie A. RAY was held this afternoon from the Woodlawn cemetery chapel, with Rev. Herbert L. GAYLORD, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, officiating. Mrs. RAY was 66 years of age and died at a Toledo hospital Saturday, following an operation. She had resided recently at Coldwater, Mich., but formerly resided at Phelps, one son, Thomas RAY, now in the service; a daughter, Mrs. Edward PANGBURN, of Coldwater, and a sister, Mrs. John COE, of this city, survive.

Democrat & Chronicle,    Rochester, Monroe, NY             Oct. 16, 1918          by: GSubyak@aol.com   

Canandaigua  - Oct. 15 - Information received here to-day states that Charles L. SMITH, of Cheshire, in the town of Canandaigua, five miles from this city, is dead at Key West, Fla. Particulars of the death have not been received.  SMITH was 33 years of age, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. SMITH, of Cheshire, and was in the navy for twelve years prior to his death. He was a machinist on the Dolphin for some time past. He is survived by his parents and four brothers. Howard,  Mather and William SMITH, all of Cheshire, and Arthur SMITH, now in France with the army.

Canandaigua  - Oct 15 - The funeral of Marshall Elwood HOLCOMB, 15 months old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl G. HOLCOMB, will be held from the family home in the Bristol road west of this city. Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. (?) Clarence BAKER, Presbyterian minister, officiating. The child died yesterday. Burial will be made at Bristol.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL       December 1918          by: Ron Hanley

The deaths of Clarence B. Pierce and only son, George Kenneth Pierce, cast a gloom throughout the vicinity and the bereaved family is receiving the sympathy of their many friends.  Death was due to influenza.
Clarence Briggs Pierce passed away at Memorial Hospital on Friday night, following a weeks illness.  He was born in Gorham, a son of George W. and Fannie Francis Pierce, April 19, 1890.  He was married to Elva Bernice Bliss at Bristol on April 19, 1911. 

George Kenneth Pierce was born on December 13, 1912.  His death occurred on Sunday.  He was a bright and lovable lad and gave great promise of growing to useful manhood.  They had resided in South Bloomfield for two years. 

Mr. (Clarence) Pierce leaves his widow, Mrs. Elva Bliss Pierce, of South Bloomfield, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Pierce, two brothers and four sisters, Irmin, Howard, Ruth and Marion Pierce , Mrs. George Conyne of Canandaigua, and Mrs. Earl Case of Rochester.

Ontario Co. Journal, Canandaigua, NY     Friday  February 21, 1919   Front Page      by: Dianne Thomas


PAUL - The death of Mrs. Mary E. PAUL, aged 55 years, of Canandaigua, occurred at Willard yesterday.  The funeral arrangements had not been made. 

ARNOLD - The death of Charles W. ARNOLD, aged 70 years, occurred at Canandaigua hospital on Saturday.  Interment was at Naples. 

COLLINS - The death of William COLLINS, aged 48 years, occurred at the Canandaigua hospital on Tuesday, following an illness of pneumonia.  Interment was at West avenue cemetery. 

PRITCHARD - Dorothy M. PRITCHARD, aged 5 months, the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Roy PRITCHARD, occurred at Rochester yesterday.  Besides her parents she leaves two sisters, Maxine and Verlina and one brother, Ernest.  The funeral services will be held at Woodlawn chapel tomorrow morning at 11o'clock, Rev. C. C. BAKER will officiate. Interment will be at Woodlawn.

MC KAY - The death of Mrs. Richard MC KAY, aged 66 years, west lake road, occurred at Memorial hospital on Tuesday, following a long illness.  She leaves besides her husband, one son, Edward G. MC KAY of Canandaigua; four sisters, Mrs. Michael FOLEY, Mrs. Michael DOYLE, Mrs. Bernard MEATH of Canandaigua and Mrs. Norman MARGARET of Rochester; and four brothers, Dennis FINNERTY of Canandaigua; Matthew FINNERTY of Rochester; Patrick FINNERTY of Buffalo, and John FINNERTY of Seattle, Wash.  Funeral services were held at St. Mary's church yesterday.  Interment was in Calvary Cemetery.

MORSE - The death of Mrs. Mary M. A. Clark MORSE, aged 80 years, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. A. ROBBINS, at Palmyra, on Monday.  She had been visiting there about a week.  Deceased was the daughter of Eldad CLARK, a cabinet maker, who formerly owned the property on south corner of Foster street. She had been married four times, her last husband being James MORSE, who died several years ago.  The funeral services were held at St. John's church, of which she was a member, on Wednesday, Rev. Herbert L. GAYLORD officiated.  Interment was at West avenue cemetery.  

GINTHER - Peter GINTHER, aged 83 years, died at his home in Cheshire on Wednesday morning of general debility.  He was born in Hesse, Germany, coming to this country with his parents when about 10 years of age.  (rest is cut off)

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL         Friday    March 14, 1919       Front Page          by: Ron Hanley  
Ford Car Collided With Rochester and Eastern Trolley at Johnson's Crossing    Three Were Killed Instantly
The death of four well known young people in an accident and serious injuries to three others has cast a gloom over this city.  Helen Burke, Margaret Fogarty, of Canandaigua, and Lawrence Cortwright, of Shortsville, were killed when the Ford car in which they were riding was struck by an incoming Rochester and Eastern car at 10 30 o'clock on Wednesday night at Johnson's crossing.  Minnie VanTroost, a companion, passed away as the result of her injuries seven hours after. Agnes and Mildred Fogarty, sisters of the dead girl, who were reported in critical condition early in the day, were slightly improved last evening.  The condition of Avery Hann, of Shortsville, who is supposed to have been driving the car, is serious, although he is declared to be the least injured.
Accident Due To Carelessness 
There is no explanation for the accident, other than carelessness. For about a half mile before reaching the Johnson Crossing, the Rochester and Eastern car was in plain sight of any vehicle approaching from the direction of Canandaigua. Likewise the auto bound north was in sight of the car motorman.  For a considerable distance north from the point of the collision, the trolley line runs close to the highway. It is probable that the auto driver, enjoying himself boy-like in entertaining his company, saw the trolley coming but mistook it for an auto traveling toward him. Hann is in such condition it is not possible to get his side of the story. Those familiar with conditions at the crossing say the accident was due to carelessness on the part of the auto driver.
Ford Is Demolished -  So heavy was the impact the Ford was reduced to mere splinters and masses of twisted and torn metal. Parts of it were scattered over a wide radius.
Bodies Are Mutilated  -  Bodies of those killed instantly were terribly mutilated, especially that of Margaret Fogarty. Her head was severed, and her body crushed in a frightful manner. Not a particle of hair was left on her head. Miss Burke was crushed about the head on the left side. Cortwright was also crushed about the head. Miss VanTroost's skull was fractured. Similar injuries were suffered by Agnes and Mildred Fogarty. Hann's head was battered.
Car Was Running Extra 
M. K. Mitchell, motorman and Charles Maley, conductor, both of Canandaigua, were in charge of the car. Mitchell is quoted as having stated that he saw the auto approaching but felt certain that the autoist was paying attention, and had taken note of the approaching trolley in front of his rapidly moving machine.   Official records show that the interurban car in the accident
followed the regular car by about ten minutes. 
Injured Brought In On Trolley 
Intense excitement prevailed about the scene of the accident.  Physicians were summoned, and Dr. O. J. Hallenbeck, R and E. surgeon here, ordered the injured brought to Canandaigua hospital. Conductor Maley and Motorman Mitchell directed the transfer of the injured to the trolley car and they were rushed here. Dr. A. W. Armstrong was at the hospital awaiting their coming and within a few minutes Dr. Hallenbeck and Drs. Harry M. Smith and W. A. Bing were at work. Throughout the night the four physicians struggled to keep life in the battered bodies of the youngsters.
Rev. M. B. Groden of St. Mary's church was at the hospital early and administered the last rites of the church to the injured. Ahrens and Breen took charge of the dead and removed them to their mortuary rooms.
Coroner Harry M. Smith, who directed the work of caring for the injured, will hold an inquest to fix responsibility for the fatalities. All the young women in the accident were well known and respected.
A close friendship has existed for years between the five young women in the tragedy. They chummed together and gathered frequently at each other's homes. They attended the Lenten services at St. Mary's church last evening, going from there to the Fogarty residence in Beeman Street. Hann and Cortwright were well known to the young women and their relatives.
Invite Girls To Ride 
James Fogarty of 50 Beeman Street, father of the three girls in the accident, gave the first information as to how the Canandaiguans came to be in the car.
During the early part of last evening Miss VanTroost and Miss Burke were guests of the three Fogarty girls at their home. Mr. Fogarty was there also. At about 10 o'clock the girls left the house, the Fogarty sisters intending to walk a part of the way home with their guests. Miss Burke lived in Gorham street, and Miss VanTroost at the Thomas P. Murray residence in Gibson street. In Main street the party met Hann and Cortwright, two youngsters well known to them, and were invited to take a ride in the Ford. It is understood that the plan was to take a short spin out on the Rochester road, after which the boys were to drop the girls at their respective homes.
Hann Familiar With Locality 
Hann is no stranger to the roads in this section. He had driven over the Rochester road many times. The fact that the trolley car in the crash was an extra may have served to throw Hann off his guard for the auto must have passed the regular incoming Rochester and Eastern car in Main street as it was speeding for the Rochester road. Hann may have figured that the coast was clear as far as interurban cars were concerned, and thus fell an easy victim to the illusion that the vehicle
approaching him north of Johnson's was an auto and not the trolley. 
Await Hann's Story 
Hann's story of the accident is expected to explain many details now shrouded in mystery. Many inquiries have been received as to where the five girls were crowded into the car. It is believed they all were in the rear seat, and that Cortwright and Hann were riding in front. Such a situation would offer further explanation of how the driver came to be confused as to the nature of the approaching vehicle, had he seen it, as he was probably busily engaged in conversation with the girls. 
Kilbride  Investigation -
Superintendent M. D. Kilbride of the Rochester and Eastern was on the scene early. He visited Johnson's crossing, looked after many details there and then returned to Canandaigua hospital where he spent the greater part of the night looking after the welfare of relatives of the victims. 
 Identification Is Difficult 
For hours after the accident the only victim positively identified was Cortwright. There was no certainty who the girls were,
and only by good work on the part of the police was the mystery cleaned up. Policeman Cougevan called at the Burke home early this morning and learned that the mother was greatly concerned owing to the absence of her daughter, Helen.  Cougevan's explanation that she had been in an accident sent Mrs. Burke on the verge of collapse. Her other two daughters were taken to Canandaigua Hospital by Policeman Cougevan. Within a short time thereafter it was established that the body of their sister was at the Ahrens and Breen morgue. So great was the shock to the girls that Dr. Hallenbeck had to accompany them home and treat the for a period. 
Fogarty Identifies Daughters 
Mr. Fogarty arrived at the hospital at about 12 30 o'clock.  He was able to make out that two of his girls, Agnes and Mildred, were among the injured.
Mr. and Mrs. Theodore VanTroost who reside on a farm north of here, were communicated with early this morning and reached the hospital at about 2 15 o'clock. They remained until their daughter's death. Cortwright's relatives were not notified of his death during the night, so far as is known. 
 Margaret  Fogarty  - Margaret Fogarty, aged 21 years, was the daughter of James Fogarty, of 50 Beeman street. Since the death of her mother some time ago, she had acted as housekeeper at the family home. Besides her father she leaves five sisters and one brother, William Fogarty, Mrs. Louis Brown, Mrs. W. G. Lapham, Mildred, Agnes and Dorothy Fogarty, all of Canandaigua.
ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL   Friday     March 21, 1919    Front Page, col  5 
Double funeral services for Misses Margaret and Mildred Fogarty, two of the victims of the accident when the Ford automobile in which they were riding collided with a special trolley car on Wednesday night of last week were held at St. Mary's Church on Monday morning.  Miss Margaret Fogarty was killed outright, and her sister, Miss Mildred Fogarty,  succumbed on Friday evening from injuries received. Rev. M. B. Groden officiated at the services, assisted by Rev. James T. Dougherty and Rev. P. A. Neville, of East Bloomfield.  

Double services were held for Miss Minnie VanTroost and Miss Helen Burke, who were also killed in the accident, at St. Mary's Church on Saturday morning. At the same time the services of Lawrence Cortwright, of Shortsville, another member of the auto party, were held at St. Dominick's church in Shortsville. The remains of the young man were taken to Meshoppen, Pa., for interment.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Friday   March 21, 1919       col 4                by: Ron Hanley   

 Mrs. Carrie Scanling O'REILLY, wife of Charles F. O'REILLY, Chapel street, passed away this morning, following a short illness of pneumonia.  

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Friday   March 28, 1919      Pg 5, col 3                 by: Ron Hanley   
DIED  O'REILLY    At Canandaigua, March 21, 1919, Mrs. Carrie Scantlin O'Reilly.

SAME  PAPER  col  2

O'REILLY -  The funeral of Mrs. Carrie Scantlin O'Reilly, aged 31 years, wife of Charles O'Reilly, who died last week Friday morning at Memorial hospital, were held at St. Mary's church on Monday morning.  Besides her husband she leaves three children, Thomas, Genevieve and Mildred O'Reilly, of Canandaigua, and three brothers, Thomas, John and Daniel Scantlin of Rochester.  Interment was in Calvary cemetery

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL      March 28, 1919       Pg 5, col 3
DIED      FERRIN     At North Bloomfield, March 20, 1919, Harrison Ferrin, aged 79  years.

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL     Friday      July 11, 1919      Front Page, col 3            by: Ron Hanley
ANDREWS  -   The death of Charles H. Andrews aged 74 years, occurred at his home on West Gibson Street on Tuesday, following a long illness.  He leaves his widow, one daughter, Miss Jennie Andrews of Canandaigua, and one son, Harry E. Andrews of Rochester, also two sisters, Mrs. Sarah E. Case, Canandaigua, and Mrs. Margaret LeRoy of Akron, Ohio. Burial in West Avenue Cemetery, Canandaigua.

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2001 - 2016

    [NY History and Genealogy]