Ontario Co. News Articles 

To best use these pages, you may want to use the "Ctrl F" key function to find a surname you are seeking.  

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

Farmington News

1800 - 1879

Home Page                                      Back to News Index  

Rochester Telegraph, Rochester, NY   Tue     Dec. 30, 1823                  by: GSubyak@aol.com

DIED -  In Farmington, on the 15th inst. of a typhus fever, Moses ALDRICH, aged 1_  years, son of Dr. S. ALDRICH, in a lively hope _ a blessed immortality. May his  ___ friends experience the reality of the p__ language -- "He mourns the dead who lives as they desire." - Com.

Daily Democrat,   Rochester, Monroe Co., NY    Mon     Sept 21, 1835                 by: GSubyak@aol.com

On the 12th inst. by the same, Mr. Calvin POWERS to Miss Maria Emeline CORY, both of Farmington.

Rochester Republican,  Rochester, Monroe, N. Y.        Jan. 3, 1848                         by: GSubyak@aol.com 

In Farmington on the 23d inst., of consumption, Leander DAVIS, aged 4? Years.

Rochester Republican,  Rochester, Monroe, N. Y.        Feb. 15, 1848                         by: GSubyak@aol.com 

Marriage  -  In Farmington, on the 3d inst. Mr. John J. COLVIN, to Miss Sarah ADAMS, both of Macedon.

Rochester Republican,  Rochester, Monroe, N. Y.  Monday,  Sept  3, 1849                         by: GSubyak@aol.com 

SUICIDE -Mrs. NICHOLS, wife of Jacob NICHOLS, of Farmington, committed suicide by hanging  herself with a handkerchief from a rafter in the garret of the house, on  Wednesday last. The poor woman was laboring under a religious monomania, and  left open the Bible at the XIII chapter of Luke, marking the last verse with a  pin. Her husband was absent at the time -- Wayne  Sentinel.

Ontario Messenger, Canandaigua, NY     Sept 15, 1852   pg 3                    by:  Dianne Thomas

Mortgage Sale - On the 22nd March, 1843, James THOMAS and Catharine, his wife, executed and delivered to Amaziah P. DOLBEER, a mortgage of the following described premises:  All the right, title and interest of the said James and Catharine THOMAS of, in and to all that tract or parcel of land situated in the town of Farmington, county of Ontario, being part lf lot #12, in the 4th range of townships and being the farm which  Richard THOMAS, the father of said James, formerly occupied, and of which he died seized, containing 107 acres of land.  Said mortgage has been duly assigned and is now owned by John THOMAS.  The same was recorded in Ontario County Clerk's office on the 27th of March, 1843, in Liber 29, of mortgages, page 413.  There is now due upon said mortgage the sum of $181.86.

Default having been made in the payment thereof, no proceedings at law have been commenced for the collection of the same or any part thereof, by virtue of the power of sale in said mortgage, and in order to foreclose the same, the premises aforesaid will be sold at public auction to the highest bidder, at the Court House in Canandaigua in said county on the fourth day of December next, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon.  Dated Sept. 8, 1832.  John THOMAS, Assignee.


ONTARIO REPUBLICAN TIMES  Thurs,    June 18, 1857         Pg  2             by: Ron Hanley

Wyant VanEvery, a respectable citizen of Farmington, was drowned on Friday last week in attempting to ford Mud Creek with a pair of horses attached to a democrat wagon near the residence of John Lapham Esq.  The bridge at that point had been previously carried away and the creek much swollen by recent rains. So strong was the current that when about half way across Mr. VanEvery with his horses and wagon was swept down stream and over the rapids a few rods below.  Several witnessed the accident by whom efforts were made to rescue the unfortunate man without success.  The deceased farmer, about 30 years of age, and leaves a wife and one child.

REPUBLICAN TIMES        Wednesday         Dec. 10, 1862    Pg 2, col 7                 by: Ron Hanley
MARRIED  -  At the Clinton Hotel, Rochester City on Thursday, November 4th, 1862, by Lindley W. Smith, Esq., of Farmington, Mr. Edward F. Herendeen, of the same place, to Miss Helen M. Power, of Manchester.

ONTARIO TIMES                 June 8, 1864            Pg 3, col  3                 by:    Ron Hanley
DIED - In Farmington, on the 26th of May, after an illness of five days, Clarance E., youngest son of Nathan L. and Lydia S. Aldrich, aged eight years.
Little Clarance, he has left us,
In the morning of his bloom,
His little form is now sleeping
In the cold, and silent tomb,
His parents now are weeping,
O'er the loss of their little son,
While with angels he is sleeping,
In his bright, and Heavenly home,
He has left this world of care and pain,
A world of sin and strife,
He has gone home with Christ to reign,
To enjoy eternal life,
Our loss we mourn in heartfelt grief,
Who can our loss repair?
What source of comfort have we felt?
Shall we not meet him there?
Oh yes we shall, if here on earth,
We are pure and good as he,
We shall meet again on the other shore,
To sing through all eternity.

Ontario Co.  Times, Canandaigua, NY      Wed, May 17, 1865        by:  Dianne Thomas


BRADBURY - In Farmington, on May 2, 1865, Thomas U. BRADBURY, is no more, yet when we visit his late home, where he was wont to extend such heartfelt and bountiful hospitality, we are sadly reminded that indeed he is gone.  He had rare and excellent business qualifications.  He seemed to comprehend by intuition the business transactions of life, and with a versatility of talent which few men possess, could successfully carry on at the same time varied and extensive pursuits.  It was in the social relations of life that we knew him best.  With remarkable conversational powers and a fund of humor, hopeful and looking upon the bright side of life, he rendered himself endeared to his friends, and the better they knew him the more they loved him.  He was the kind patron and advisor of young men struggling with adversity, always ready to lend them a helping hand, and by this class many a tear will be shed as they remember his many acts of kindness and his earnest solicitude for their prosperity and success.  A kind husband and generous friend, peacefully and quietly, like one falling asleep, had passed to his final test. 

ONTARIO TIMES              December 6, 1865         Pg 3, col 3             by:  Ron Hanley
MARRIED -  Wednesday evening, November 29th, by Rev. O. E. Daggett, Henry W. Herendeen, of Macedon, to Hannah A. Jeffrey, of Farmington.

Union & Advertiser, Rochester, NY   Sat May 4, 1867            by:  GSubyak@aol.com 

MARRIED - In the Presbyterian Church in Pittsford, by the Rev. H. M. MOREY, Mr. Smith  G. KETCHUM, of Farmington, N. Y., and Mrs. Emily H. NORTON, of Pittsford, N. Y.

ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES    Wednesday      November 18, 1868     Pg  3, col 3     by:  Ron Hanley
In Farmington on the 11th inst., after a brief illness of dropsey and congestion, Huldah Gatchel, wife of William Gatchel, aged 66
years and 6 months.  Thus, one by one, the links connecting us with the past, are taken away, and the grey heads whose existence began with the present century, become fewer with each succeeding year. 
Huldah Hatchel was the daughter of Welcome Herendeen, who came to this County, at the age of 20, with the second family that settled here. She was born in 1802, and thus belongs to the first generation of Western New York. Her memory ran back to the time when settlements were far apart, and when Indians and wild beasts still roamed over the country. 
She was a woman of clear and vigorous mind, gentle manners, untiring industry, full of affection for her kindred and friends,
generous and warm-hearted in her hospitality, and made her home the abode of peace in all the years of her long life, and a place where her friends loved always to gather. She fulfilled all the duties of sister, wife and mother, and her rounded life has no spot or blemish to mar or stain its beauty. 
Though modest and retiring, yet her goodness and gentle influence filled a large place among her friends and neighbors, and years will not efface the remembrance of the hours her presence made happy. She made friends of all who approached her, and the whole
community were her mourners. We bless God that He spared her so long unto us, and that He sometimes raises up those, like her, whose life leaves no act it is a pain to remember, but whose whole existence is a continual blessing.
 Of her it may be said truly, in the words of Solomon, "Her children arise up and call her blessed, her husband, also, and he
praiseth her." Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou exceedeth them all."

Rochester Daily Democrat,  Rochester, NY     Dec 23, 1869                   by: Dick Halsey


Copied from the Palmyra Courier

Ira Lapham of Macedon.
Ira Lapham was born in 1778, at North Adams, Mass. His father's name was Abraham Lapham, and his mother's maiden name Esther Aldrich, a sister to Brice Aldrich, who came into this country about the same time. His grandfather's name, on his father's side, was Joshua Lapham, and on his mother's side Peter Aldrich. His predecessors were of Scotch, Welch and English decent, immigrating to this country about the first of the seventeenth century. 

So far as he now remembers, his ancestors were members of the Society of Friends. When he was thirteen years old his father removed with his family from North Adams in company with several others to this part of the country. They crossed the river at Troy, which was then a small, insignificant village, taking nearly a direct route through the forest to about four miles of where Utica now stands and stopped at Nathan Smith's, formerly of North Adams. Not a house then stood where the beautiful and thriving city of Utica now stands. They stopped at Smith's to rest a little and while there they baked up a quantity of bread and prepared meats, &c., for the further journey into the then deep wilderness.
Ira, then but thirteen years old, footed it all the way from North Adams to this point, driving sheep and cattle behind Henry Wilbur's team, it being in mid-winter. At this point his father insisted on his riding the rest of the way, which was reluctantly acceded to. They passed through the country where Auburn now stands, and where there was not a single house, if his memory serves him right crossing Cayuga lake on the ice near where the "old bridge" stood so long. 

They followed the trail which afterwards became the great "turnpike," until they reached Canandaigua, where there was then just
one stone house owned by old Gen. Chapen. His father purchased about one thousand acres of land in this section (Farmington) at 18 pence per acre. Their first "stopping place" was about four miles north of Canandaigua. For the first two nights they had no protection but their blankets. During that time they threw up a shelter of round logs, covering it with brush. They then built a house by splitting basswood logs and set them up edgeways, dovetailing the ends together and putting poles across the top and over them
spreading elm bark. Immediately the forest resounded with their axes, and Ira, then in his fourteenth year, having a small axe of his own, commenced clearing the land. He was properly the only "pioneer" of his father's children, the others who were then born being younger than himself, and following him in age as the names show, David, Daniel, Lydia, Stephen and John - the last two years old. Those born after they came into the country and among the first births were Esther and Wm. Savory. Lydia afterwards
married Johnathan Ramsdell, a well-known minister of the Society of Friends, both deceased, and Esther, who is deceased, Thomas Hance, who is still living with son, Abram Hance, at Macedon Centre. The first birth in this section of the country was Jacob Gannet.
Among those who came into this settlement about the same time or followed soon after, were Nathan Comstock, Nathan Aldrich, John Macomber, Jeremiah Smith, Joshua Herendeen, Jacob, Joseph and Jeremiah Smith, Israel Delnoe, Nathan and Welcome Herendeen and Henry Wilbur - all Friends, with but one or two exceptions. One company followed just one day behind, the
remark of one of them being, "We'll follow just one day, and when they build the fires in the morning we'll have them at night;" probably well thought of, as a bed of coals came very acceptable then. Little do we know of the hardships that those old settlers endured, and the trying times they passed through to bring up their families. -  Could their children and their children's children, who are now thickly scattered through this part of the country, but pass through but a year or two of their trying times, they, might the more fully realize the comforts and blessings they now enjoy.
Many a property that was then earned by patient hard work has since then squandered foolishly away. They did not know how it had come. They thought there was no bottom, to the purse. When, lo! it vanished like the mist before the rising sun. Will not some of our "Grecian benders" or "fast" young men take the warning? More anon. [Palmyra Courier, Dec. 3].

ONTARIO REPOSITORY      Wednesday     October 29, 1873   col 3             by:  Ron Hanley
Death of William G. Lapham
With feelings of deep pain we announce the intelligence of the death of William G. Lapham, Esq., Superintendent of the Middle Division of the NYCRR, which took place at his residence in Syracuse last Saturday afternoon, after a lingering illness of several weeks. 
Mr. Lapham for several years prior to his removal to Syracuse, resided in this village, and was well known throughout this section of country as an active and energetic business man, a gentleman of high honor and integrity of character, and of genial and kind disposition. We gather from Rochester Union of Monday, the following facts in relation to his last illness. 
He was first attacked about six months ago with catarrh of the bladder, and acting under his physicians' advice, repaired to the
seashore, where he remained several weeks and returned to his duties apparently much improved.  He continued to discharge his duties without interruption until about three weeks ago, when he was attacked by a severe cold, and his former complaint was seriously aggravated thereby. A counsel of physicians was held, consisting of Dr. H. D. Didama of Syracuse, his attending physician, Dr. J. P. Gray of Utica, and Dr. E. M. Moore of Rochester. These gentlemen expressed the belief that Mr. Lapham would recover. 
On Monday last, however, his disease began to assume a dangerous phase, he kept about the house until Tuesday, when for the first time, he was obliged to go to bed. Dr. Moore staid with him Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On Thursday his condition was regarded as critical, although it was still thought by his physicians that he might recover. In the afternoon of that day he had a sinking spell, but subsequently rallied until he fell into the state of stupor which continued till death. He was however, still conscientious, as was shown by momentary recognition of friends who called.  On Saturday the malady terminated as above stated. We find the following graphic sketch of the deceased in the Syracuse Courier. 
William Gray Lapham, was born in Farmington, Ontario County, New York, March 23, 1816, being therefore at his death, in the fifty eigth year of his age. He was a son of the late Judge John Lapham, and a brother of Hon. Elbridge G. Lapham of Canandaigua. The family is of Quaker descent. The deceased was educated at the Canandaigua Academy, Stephen A. Douglass was his classmate and friend, and this latter relation was kept up as long as Douglass lived.  After leaving the Academy, Mr. Lapham, to complete his education went to the Renssalaer Institute in Troy, from which institution he graduated with credit. After graduation he was made instructor in mathematics in the institute. He assisted Amos Eaton in the preparation of his well known Manual of Botany for North America. 
Having made Civil Engineering his profession, he was first employed in that capacity in the construction of the Auburn and
Rochester railroad, now a part of the Old Road to Rochester. Next he built as Chief Engineer, the Canandaigua and Elmira railroad, now merged in the Northern Central, and on its completion, was appointed its Superintendent, and continued in that capacity for several years. Upon the consolidation of the Elmira, with the Canandaigua and Niagara Falls road, Mr. Lapham was made Superintendent of the whole line from the Falls to Elmira. He superintended these roads until the New York Central leased the Canandaigua and Niagara Falls road. 
Twelve years ago, in 1861, Mr. Lapham was appointed Superintendent of the Middle Division of the New York Central, a post
which he held through the successive administrations of Dean Richmond, Henry Keep and Commodore Vanderbuilt, until his death. He was more than once offered promotion, but his wife was an invalid of twenty years, and he preferred to remain in Syracuse, where he had made his home. 
Besides his wife, Mr. Lapham leaves four children, Mrs. Austin Spalding, of Lockport, Mrs. J. B. D. Roberts of Auburn, Mr. S.  Gurney Lapham, one of the editors of the Syracuse Courier, and Miss Jennie Lapham of Syracuse. Sadly enough, the two former were prevented by illness in their own families from being with their parent in his final moments on earth. In addition to his own family the deceased leaves many more distant relatives and a host of personal friends to mourn the sad event. In politics, Mr. Lapham was always a Democrat, but never sought or held office of any kind. 
The funeral took place yesterday from the family home, No. 112, West Genesee Street. A immense concourse of people, numbering several thousands, including a large delegation of relatives and personal friends from this village and vicinity, were present to participate in the last rites to the deceased. 
Every countenance betokened heartfelt sorrow as they gathered in mournful silence about the bier. Rt. Rev. Bishop Huntington, assisted by the Rev. Mr. Clark, officiated on the occasion, rehearsing the beautiful ritual services of the Episcopal church in a most solemn and impressive manner, the singing was highly appropriate and pathetic, awakening emotions of the tenderest sympathy in all who heard it. The body was conveyed to Oakwood Cemetery, followed by the vast multitude in solemn procession in carriages and on foot, and deposited in a vault preliminary to its removal to this village for final interment. 
As a mark of respect for the deceased, the Depot in Syracuse was appropriately and handsomely draped in mourning, both inside and out, with streamers of black and white, festoons, rosettes. Over each entrance to the depot was suspended insignia of mourning, and the ticket office also was handsomely decorated. 
Above the machine shop was a large American flag at half mast, while above it floated a large black and white streamer. All the
locomotives on the Middle Division of the road were trimmed with black and white streamers, rosettes, and many of the ticket offices were similarly decorated.

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2001 - 2016

[NY History and Genealogy]