Ontario Co. News Articles  

To best use these pages, you may want to use the "Ctrl F" key function to find a surname you are seeking.  

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor.
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

Geneva News

1906 - 1919 

Home Page                                    Back to News Index 

Democrat & Chronicle,     Rochester, Monroe, N.Y.    July 6, 1906                     by: GSubyak@aol.com 

Two Men Accused of Robbing Geneva Home Caught With Goods

Geneva  - July 5 - The residence of William DELAMARTER was entered by burglars at an early hour this morning. Mr. DELAMARTER was awakened at 2 o'clock by the sound of some one down stairs, but did not think that the house was being 
burglarized. A short time after she went down stairs and found the back door open, the window screen cut out and the window raised. She examined the room and found things in disorder and a silver watch and $2 gone.
This morning the police were notified and Chief KANE sent Policemen HAWKINS and KINNEY on the case. About 9 o'clock HAWKINS got a line on a man who was trying to dispose of a meerschaum pipe in the McAuliffe saloon on Exchange 
street. Policeman KINNEY who was working the case farther down the street discovered a suspicious character in T. F. BRENNEN'S cafe near the Central depot. The fellow was in the act of pouring out a drink when KINNEY entered the place.
The policeman grabbed the bottle from his hand and immediately put the irons on his wrists before the fellow knew what was going on. He attempted to put up a fight but the arrival of HAWKINS soon put that idea from his mind. He did, however, make resistance and it was necessary for the policemen to drag him part way to the station, where he gave his name as Ryan.
When searched the watch which was stolen from the DELAMARTER home was found on him, also a dozen silver spoons, a berry spoon, a clinical thermometer and several other articles. The man was locked up pending further investigation.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY   Tuesday       July 17, 1906             by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva, July 16 - The death of Mrs. Margaret CHARTRES, wife of Andrew F. CHARTRES, of No. 120 East North street, occurred at the City Hospital last night. The cause of death was rheumatism, with which she had been afflicted for the past three months. Mrs. CHARTRES was a member of the Holy Rosary Society, connected with St. Francis De Sales Church, and was also a member of the Catholic Relief and Benefit Association. Besides her husband she is survived by three sons, Pierce F., John J. and James J. CHARTRES, all of this city, and by two brothers, Joseph COSTELLO, of Chicago; Martin COSTELLO, of Edenburg; and three sisters, Mrs. Thomas GAFFENY, of Boston; Mrs. John TOWERS, of Yonkers, and  Mrs. Henry CLEARY, of this city.

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Monday          Nov 5, 1906      pg 10           by:  Dianne Thomas


This Was A Family Affair- 

Joseph TANTALO lives at No. 16 Platt street.  With him boards his son in law, Joseph MASTRALLA.  Yesterday the Italians indulged in a drinking feast, in which a number of their kind participated .  Family jangles and other things served to cause bad blood among the Italians and at length MASTRALLA attacked his father in law with his fists.  The men had a lively battle and there was great excitement in the house.  MASTRALLA left the house but vowed he would return and do things that would not please TANTALO.  

Sergeant KLEIN and Patrolman IRELAND were in State street, when a boy ran up to them and said that an Italian was about to shoot his father.  The policemen went to Platt street on a run.  When the arrived at the TANTALO house, MASTRALLA and his brother, Nicholas had departed. KLEIN and IRELAND separated and started to find the pair.  While the policemen were searching for the two, the latter returned to the house.  

Joseph MASTRALLA drew a long bread knife and slashed his father in law across the right cheek, making a wound three inches in length.


Ran Away, But Were Caught - TANTALO emitted a shriek that could be heard a block away.  Other Italians in the house and neighborhood thought murder had been done and soon the street in front of the house was filled with a mass of Italians of all grades.  The MASTRALLAS escaped by leaping a rear fence.  The police summoned a surgeon and the gash in TANTALO's cheek was sown up. Five stitches were necessary to close it.  After the doctor had been called the policeman resumed the search for the knife artist.

Patrolman IRELAND went to Mill street.  He had barely reached Brown street when he met the two MASTRALLAS, in company with Dominick TANTALO, a brother to the man who was cut.   IRELAND promptly held up the three. He led them to State street and summoned a patrol wagon.  They were taken to headquarters.  Joseph MASTRALLA was charged with assault in the second degree and the other two with intoxication.  No dangerous weapons were found on any of the men. 

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Wednesday          Dec 30, 1906                 by:  Dianne Thomas

BENNETT - SINGSINE  - Waterloo Young woman marries Man of Williamsport, PA - Waterloo - Dec 29

Last evening at the residence of Mrs. Helen SINGSINE, on West Main street, Mrs. SINGSINE's daughter, Anna A. SINGSINE was united to Fred H. BENNETT of Williamsport, PA, in the presence of relatives and friends of the contracting parties.  The ceremony was performed at 7 o'clock by Rev. Henry E. HUBBARD, rector of the St. Paul's church.  The bridal couple were attended by Miss Frances McDONALD, the bridesmaid, the Misses Charlotte and Margaret SINGSINE, flower girls, and Frank SINGSINE,  groom-man.  The bride was attired in a costume of brown silk, with veil to match and carried white roses and pink chrysanthemums.  The bridesmaid wore a gown of white silk, with a white wreath, and carried pink and white carnations.  After the ceremony the couple left on an evening train to Albany and the east.  Upon their return they will reside in this place.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY      Feb. 20, 1907                by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva  -  Feb. 19 - For the next month the untagged dogs of the city will have free access to the streets and back yards of the city, for the reason that Dog Catcher HART left to-day for a month's vacation. Officer HART stated before leaving that the dog owners have been either keeping their pets at home or else most of the dogs of the city have been tagged, for those without the license tag have been extremely scarce during the past two weeks and as a result he decided to take a vacation. Mr. HART said that this does not mean that he has suspended operations for the season, but he intends to return when least expected. So far this season 860 tags have been sold, while last year, 480 were sold.

Democrat & Chronicle,   Rochester, Monroe, N. Y.   Sunday,   Jan. 12, 1908         by: GSubyak@aol.com   

Hose Company of Geneva Forms Escort To Home
Geneva  -  Jan. 12 — The remains of the late Samuel K. NESTER, who died in New York city on Friday afternoon, arrived in this city last night at 11:30 o'clock over the New York Central. Despite the lateness of the hour, several hundred persons gathered at the station to do honor to a respected citizen. Among those who were at the depot was the NESTER Hose Company, which was founded by Mr. NESTER, who presented to it one of the finest parade carts in the state. The company acted as escort, accompanying the remains to the home of the family, on Genesee street.
During the day many persons visited the NESTER residence and viewed the remains of the dead millionaire. On account of the brewers convention, which will convene in Rochester to-morrow afternoon, many of the members of which were close friends of Mr. NESTER, it has been decided to hold the funeral to-morrow morning at 10:30 o'clock. The service will be at the house, but will not be private. It is expected that all business places will close during the hour set for the funeral service.
The service at the house will be conducted by Rev. David CRAVER, pastor of the North Presbyterian Church. The pall bearers will be Mayor Arthur P. ROSE, O. J. C. ROSE, John W. MELLEN, William O' HANLON, Charles BURRELL and Montgomery S. SANDFORD, president of the Geneva National Bank, of which Mr. NESTER was first vice-president.

Geneva  -  Jan. 12 — The death of Mrs. Caroline HERENDEEN, wife of Carlton C. HERENDEEN, occurred this morning at the family residence, No. 232 Washington street, after a severe attack of the grip. Mrs. HERENDEEN, who was 49 years 
old, was the daughter of Anson and Amanda TUTTLE, of Farmington, where she was born on August 6, 1858. Besides her husband, Mrs. HERENDEEN leaves three daughters, Misses Harriet A., Nettie A. and Mary Edna HERENDEEN; one son, 
Frederick W. HERENDEEN, all of this city; one sister, Mrs. Charles W. HERENDEEN and two brothers, Joseph and Robert TUTTLE of Farmington. Mrs. HERENDEEN's twin sister died just three months ago.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, NY,     Sat     May 30, 1908          by: GSubyak@aol.com  

Mrs. Oran Parish Says She Has Family Troubles
Geneva, May 29 - Mrs. Oran PARISH attempted  suicide to-night about 9 o'clock by taking laudanum. Mrs. PARISH resides in the  Richard's block, in South Exchange street, and this evening went to a  clothespress and drank the contents of an ounce bottle of the poison.
On the same floor there resides a colored family named DERBY, and as Mrs. PARISH came from the closet she informed Mrs. DERBY that she had taken the poison. She immediately sank into unconsciousness.
Dr. H. D. WEYBURN was summoned.  An emetic was administered, and part of the poison was removed from the woman's system. The  physician had the woman's husband and Mrs. DERBY walk the woman, to keep her  awake, but they became exhausted, and Dr. WEYBURN decided to remove her to the  hospital.  The ambulance was summoned, and Mrs. PARISH was  removed to the institution, where the house physician, Dr. F. L. STEBBINS, took  charge of the case.
After reaching the hospital Mrs. PARISH again fell into a  state of unconsciousness. At a late hour to-night she is considered to be in a  very critical condition.  When conscious Mrs. PARISH told Dr. WEYBURN she took the poison because of family troubles.

Geneva Daily Times, Geneva, NY           Wed              Aug 26, 1908                   by:  Dianne Thomas

Matrimonial Settlement – Probable Outcome of the Case Against James LINZY, a Young Negro.

Seneca Falls, Aug. 26—James Linzy,  the negro who is alleged to have criminally assaulted Viola May Jarvis, Sunday afternoon, on the east shore of Seneca lake, was not brought into court yesterday until 2 o 'clock. At that time, Clarence Ten Eyck of Waterloo, appeared as his attorney. He requested an adjournment of the case and it was granted by Justice of the Peace Byrne.

The case was adjourned until this afternoon, and after the adjournment had been taken, it was said that it was very probable that the town clerk's office at Waterloo would be visited by the defendant and the complainant and a marriage license procured.  The defendant signified his willingness to settle the matter in this way and made very many promises that he would take proper care of his girl wife, if it was agreed that she would not testify against him when the case was to be called this afternoon.

District-Attorney George W. Pontius conducted the negotiations between the young Negro and the girl’s mother.  He procured the mother’s consent to the marriage but had some trouble with the white father of the child.  The mother finally over ruled his objections, stating that as he did not take care of the children, she would not allow him to have anything to say.  The little girl who is only about 14 years old stated that she had no objections to the match and the case will probably be settled in a matrimonial way.

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Friday          Feb 26, 1909                 by:  Dianne Thomas


The Oswego Palladium Monday, Apr 19, 1909      by Dianne Thomas

Geneva - Rocco MUNDIZZO, the Italian who is said to have shot and killed his wife and sister in law, Saturday night, is still at large and the police can not find any trace of him. 



The Post Standard, Tuesday Morning April 20, 1909             by Dianne Thomas 

MUNDIZZO TAKES HIS OWN LIFE  -   Italian Murderer Commits Suicide in Jail at Geneva -  


Special to the Post Standard

Geneva, April 19 - Rocco MUNDIZZO, the Italian who shot his wife and her sister and injured three others Saturday night, completed his work by hanging himself in the cell at the Geneva jail at noon today.  MUNDIZZO was captured at Canandaigua last night and was brought to Geneva this morning.  He was lodged in one of the steel cells at the jail.

Coroner EISELINE of Shortsville came on to Geneva, accompanied by District Attorney SHORT this morning to arrange for the inquest in the cases and also for the arraignment of MUNDIZZO.  The officials, accompanied by Chief of Police KANE and Superintendent of the Poor, BRODERICK, who desired some information in regard to the children left orphans by the tragedy, called at the jail.  All of the officials went to the cell which the man occupied and talked with him for half an hour. 

MUNDIZZO had little to say about the shooting  He declared that hew as very drunk Saturday night and that he remembered nothing about what he had done.  He claimed he was jealous of his wife because members of the DeFLEET family had been telling stories about her and that BELSETTO, or the  baker, was implicated.  MUNDIZZO told Chief KANE that  DeFLEET had him drink a lot of beer.

He seemed anxious to see his children and he asked for them several times.  He appeared worried, but in fairly good spirits when the officials left him at 12 o'clock.  He had been searched at Canandaigua and after being brought here, when put in the cell, all he had with him was the clothes he wore.  Hs trousers were supported by a belt in place of suspenders.

At 12:30 o'clock, Officer J. McNEARNY went to the jail with dinner for some of the other prisoners.  The officer passed MUNDIZZO's cell and saw him hanging by the wall, under the bed.  This bed is made of straps of steel, and hangs about half way between the floor and the ceiling of the cell.  The bed is about three feet from the floor of the cell.  The officer went into the cell and found MUNDIZZO hanging by a strap about his neck.  He cut him down and called Dr. H. D. WEYBURN.

MUNDIZZO was dead.  He had taken the stout leather strap, which he wore about his waist and formed a noose with it. After putting the noose about his neck he had tied the loose end to the end of the bed and then allowed himself  to drop down so that his face was toward the floor and the weight of his body was upon the strap about his neck.  It is the opinion of the physician that it only took about three minutes for the man to strangle himself this way.

Coroner EISELINE was again notified, and after viewing the remains he ordered them removed to the undertaking rooms of Devaney & Fletcher, where they were placed on a slab beside the bodies of MUNDIZZO's wife and sister in law, whom he had murdered Saturday night.  An inquest in all three cases will be held tomorrow.


Syracuse Post Standard, Wednesday   Apr 21, 1909               by Dianne Thomas


Coroner finds that MUNDIZZO Intended to Kill When He Fired at his Victims

  Geneva – April 20 – Coroner ELSELINE  today held an inquest in the case of Mrs. MUNDIZZO and Mrs. DeFLEET, the two Italian woman shot by Rocco MUNDIZZO in the Italian colony Saturday night. Owning to the fact that MUNDIZZO committed suicide at the city jail here yesterday, the inquest was largely a matter of form.

Several witnesses of the shooting were called and after their testimony had been taken, Coroner ELSELINE decided that the women came to their deaths from wounds caused by bullets fired by a revolver in the hands of Rocco MUNDIZZO and that MUNDIZZO intended to kill the women when he fired the shots. 

Superintendent of the Poor Broderick took to the Auburn Orphanage Asylum today, two of the MUNDIZZO children, aged 2 and 4 years, respectively.  The other child, aged 2 months, is being cared for at the Italian colony.  The eight children of the DeFLEET family, will be taken care of by their father, who, it is expected, will recover from the bullet wound in his head. 


The Auburn Citizen, Wednesday, April 21, 1909  pg 6                   by Dianne Thomas

Local Institution to House Victims of Geneva's Triple Tragedy

When Rocco MUNDIZZIO committed suicide at Geneva Monday, after killing his wife and her sister on Saturday night, he left three young children orphans.  Yesterday Superintendent of the Poor Broderick of Geneva, brought two of the children, aged 2 and 4 years respectively, to the Auburn Orphan asylum.  The other child, a baby 2 months old, is still at the colony where it is being cared for by Italian neighbors.

Mrs. DeFELICA, who was shot by MUNDIZZIO, left a family of eight children.  The DeFELICAS were in better circumstances than the MUNDIZZIOS and it is believed that the family be kept together and that the father will look after them.  

Coroner EISELINE of Geneva conducted the inquest into the causes of the deaths of Mrs. MUNDIZZIO and Mrs. DeFELICA at the City Hall there yesterday.  Owing to the suicide of MUNDIZZIO the inquest was largely informal, in which only sufficient fact to satisfy the law were sought. Only eye witnesses were sworn and the motive for the shooting was not gone into at all.  After hearing the evidence Coroner EISELINE declared that it showed that the women came to their deaths by wounds caused by bullets fired from a gun in the hands of Rocco MUNDIZZIO and that he fired them with the intention of killing the women.  An inquest will be held later in the week in the case of MUDIZZIO,  

Advertiser Gazette,      Geneva , NY                 Thursday                         May 6, 1909                 by: Dianne Thomas 


In the matter of the application of a majority of the officers of Swift Post, G.A.R.  No. 94, of the  City of Geneva , N. Y., for the removal of the remains of certain deceased Soldiers to the Soldiers Plot in Glenwood Cemetery , in said city.

On reading and filing the petition of Charles C. Mosher, O. T. May, H.F. Fox,  George H. Beamish, William Genther.  P. R. Woodcock S.S. Holland, A.G. Frisbie and John VanHuben, a majority of the officers of Swift Post G. A R. No. 94, of the City of Geneva , N. Y., a veteran soldiers' organization of said City, duly verified the 21st day of April, 1909,  by which it appears that certain deceased soldiers are buried in the Potters Field of Washington Street Cemetery and Glenwood Cemetery in the City of Geneva, N. Y... the names of such deceased soldiers, the place of burial and the company and regiment in which they served, so far as known to said petitioners, being as follows:

Corporal Wm. E. Sly, Co. I, 14 Mich. Inf.  Washington Street Cemetery

A. W. Sedgwick, Co, G. 148, N. Y. Inf   Washington Street Cemetery

James C. Onnond, Co. E, 126 N. Y. Inf.  Washington Street Cemetery

Harvey Burns, Co. D. 26 US Col. Troops, Washington Street Cemetery

Wm. Gayton, Co. D. 26 U S Col. Troops, Washington Street Cemetery

G. W. Huntington, Co. D. 148 NY. Inf. Washington Street Cemetery

Geo. Sherwood, Co. E. 14 NY Inf.  Washington Street Cemetery

J. W. Updike, Co. E. 126 NY, Washington Street Cemetery

John G. Davenport, Co. E.126 NY Inf,  Washington Street Cemetery

Isaac Carey, Co. A, 6th NY Artillery, Glenwood Cemetery

John Cook        Glenwood Cemetery

And it further appearing that the graves of such deceased soldiers are not properly kept and cared for and that the City of Geneva has set apart and designated a tract of land in Glenwood Cemetery, known as the Solders' Plot, to be used solely and exclusively for the burial of deceased soldiers, said Glenwood Cemetery being owned by said City and managed, maintained and controlled by a Commission known as The Geneva Cemetery Commissioners, in accordance with Chap. 450 of the Laws Of 1877;and as said petition prays that the remains of the above named deceased soldiers be removed to and re-interred in said Soldiers' Plot in said Glenwood Cemetery in said City, it is Ordered, that all persona in any manner interested in said application show cause before me at my office in the Village of Canandaigua, N. Y., on the 22d day of May, 1909, at 10 o'clock In the forenoon of that day, why the prayer of said petition should not be granted and an order made and entered directing the removal of the remains of the above named deceased soldiers from said Potters Fields and re-interment in the Soldiers Plot in Glenwood Cemetery in the City of Geneva, N. Y.: and why the expense of such removals, re-interment, resetting the headstones, and all expenses of this proceeding should not then and there be fixed and determined, and the same declared to be a County charge, in accordance with the law in such cases made and provided.

And it is further ordered, that this order be published in the Geneva Advertiser-Gazette, a newspaper published in the City of Geneva , N. Y once in each week for two successive weeks: the first publication thereof to be made on May 6th, 1909 .  

Dated Canandaigua, N. Y.. May 4, 1909 .         ROBERT F THOMPSON,    Ontario County Judge

C. W. RICE,   Attorney for Petitioners,            50 Seneca Street, Geneva, N. Y.



Advertiser-Gazette                    Thursday, May 20, 1909


In the matter of the application of a majority of the officers of Swift Post, G. A. R. No 94, of the  City of   Geneva , N.Y., for the removal of the remains of certain deceased soldiers to the Soldiers'  Plot in Glenwood Cemetery in said city.

On reading and filing the petition of Charles C. Mosher, O. T. May, H. F. Pox, George N. Beamish,  William Genther,P. R. Woodcock, S. S.Holland, A.G. Frisbie and John VanHuben, a majority of the

officers of Swift Post G. A. R. No. 94, of the City of Geneva , N. Y:, a veteran soldiers" organization of said City, duly verified the 21st day of April, 1909.  By which it appears that certain deceased soldiers (are buried in the Potters Field of Washington Street Cemetery and Glenwood Cemetery in the City of Geneva, N. Y.), the names of such deceased soldiers, the place of burial and the company and regiment, in which they served, so far as' known to said petitioners, being as follows:

Corporal Wm. E. Sly, Co. 1, 14 Mich. Inf.       Washington Street Ceme

A. W. Sedgwick, Co. G. 148, N. Y. Inf.            Washington Street Ceme

James C. Ormond. Co. E. 136 N. Y. Inf.           Washington Street Ceme

Harvey Burns, Co. D. 26 U. S.. Col. Troops,    Washington Street Ceme

Wm. Gayton, Co. D. 26 U. S. Col. Troops,      Washington Street Ceme

G. W. Huntington, Co. D. 148 N. Y. Inf.          Washington Street Ceme

Geo. Sherwood, Co. E. 14 N. Y. Inf.                 Washington Street Ceme

J. W Updike, Co. E. 126 N Y. Inf.                    Washington Street  Ceme

John G. Davenport, 33 N. Y. Inf.                      Washington Street Ceme

Isaac Carey, Co. A. 6th N. Y. Art,                     Washington Street Ceme

John Cook,                                                         Glenwood Ceme    

And it further appearing that the graves of such deceased soldiers are not properly kept and cared  for and that the City of Geneva has set apart and designated a tract of land in Glenwood Cemetery, known as the Soldiers' Plot, to be used solely and exclusively for the burial of deceased soldiers. Said Glenwood Cemetery being owned by said City and managed maintained and controlled by a Commission, known as The Geneva Cemetery Commissioners, in accordance with Chap. 450 of the Laws of 1877; and as said petition prays that the remains of the above named deceased soldiers be removed to and re-interred in said Soldiers' Plot in said Glenwood Cemetery in said City, it is Ordered, that all persons in any manner interested in said application show cause before me at my office in the Village of Canandaigua NY., on the 28th day of May, 1909, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon of that day, why the prayer of said petition should not be granted and an order made and entered directing the removal of the remains of the above named deceased soldiers from said Potters Fields, and re-interment in the Soldiers' Plot in Glenwood Cemetery in the City of Geneva N Y.  and why the expense of such removals; interment, resetting the headstones, and all expenses of this proceeding should not then and there be fixed and determined, and the same declared to be a County charge, in accordance with the law in such cases made and provided.

And it is further ordered, that this order be published in the Geneva Advertiser-Gazette, a newspaper published in the City of Geneva , N Y., once in each week for two successive weeks: the first publication thereof to be made on May 6th, 1909 .  

Dated Canandaigua, N. Y., May 4, 1909 .

ROBERT F. THOMPSON,    Ontario County Judge          

C. W. RICE,   Attorney for Petitioners          50 Seneca Street , Geneva , N. Y. 

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY     Tuesday     Mar 1, 1910                      by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Geneva  - Feb. 28 - At the meeting of the Board of Health to-night Dr. Charles D. McCARTHY was elected health officer for a term of three years.

Democrat & Chronicle         Rochester, Monroe, NY     Sunday     June 23, 1911 Friday                 by: Dianne Thomas 

VETERANS DINE ON LAKE SHORE - Reunion of the 140th Volunteers Held at Manitou - Many Towns Represented 

Gathering Brings Together Survivors of Regiment Who Reside in the Vicinity - Old Officers To Serve Another Term.

The survivors of the 140th Regiment New York Volunteers, held their annual reunion yesterday at  Manitou Beach.  They met with their wives and families at the GAR rooms about 10 o'clock and left for Manitou in a body (?), numbering about 100.

After a dinner, a business meeting was held at which the following others were re-elected for the coming year: President, Abraham TEALL,[pic of Abraham appears in paper]   Rochester; Vice President, Henry ALLEN, Brockport; secretary, Albert A. BOSTWICK, Rochester; treasurer, Henry B. SMITH, Rochester; Chaplin, Richard KINGSTON, Rochester.  Executive Committee: Charles H. VOAT, William JOHNSON, Louis SACHE, R. OSENBURG, B.S. BLAKE, L. M. GOCID?, Thomas O'GRADY, all of Rochester; W. H. CLARK, of Barnard ;F. P. STALLMAN of North Webster; C. W. BOOT of Brockport. 

The list of members of the regiment who has died, since last years reunion included, James DAWSON, Churchville; Anthony ANDREWS, Rochester; James KELLEHER, Rochester, William ROCKWELL, Rochester; Fred SCHANG, Bath; John SANDERS, Rochester; Captain Henry CRIBBEN, Chicago; John OCTZEL ?, Rochester; Charles LEWIS, Jersey City. 

Surviving members of the regiment who were present were: Dr. M. L. LORD, David KEIMER ?, Richard KINGSTON, William KARGES ?, William H. JOHNSON, Chris GLASSER, Albert EMBURY ?, F. P. FRENCH,  John FRANC ?, Charles DINGMAN, H. H. DUTCHER, Albert S. BOSTWICK, Louis SACHS, John C. SCHUEY, Henry B. SMITH, Louis NOLD, Paul MICHELSON, Perry SHORE ?, T. D. SPERRY, Abram TEALL, J. J. WALTERS John HALL, Thomas O'GRADY, Joseph HUBER, Thomas HOWE, M. H. OAKLEY, Frank PICKETT, George FOEHEER, John DIETRICH, all of Rochester.  

George M. BAILEY, William ORR, Benjamin WHEELER, of Canandaigua; Capt. Henry ALLEN, Charles A. PERRY, C. W. ROOT, of Brockport; Jacob D. BURGER, John WILLIAMS, of Henrietta; George F. HERMAN, W. H. CLARKE of Barnard; George SOPER, Clarkson; Hugh BURNS, Merteosis ?; Rudolph BENTZ, Mumford; Washington BOARDMAN, Brighton; J. KOEHLER, Fairport; A.D. MOSELEY, Lancaster; John MANSIER, Adam HASIN, Dowain RICHARDS, Buffalo; Fred WALEY, Kent; H. H. WOODMAN, Hilton; Henry FROST, Webster; W. S. MOCKFORD, Hamlin, John BIRKETT, East Liverpool, Oh.

Letters of regret were read from the following members who were unable to be present, some on account of their distance from the city, others because of ill health; H.J. SHOULIERS, Los Angeles, Cal.; Col. W. J. CLARK, Buffalo; E.T. MARSBY?, Hergen?; David R. CRAPE, Bath; Victor HAINCHEN, Corning; L.A. DIETRICH, Buffalo; Henry PLAYER, Tampa, Fla; and Charles YOST, Rochester. 

GENEVA DAILY TIMES, FRIDAY, MAY 31, 1912                         by: Dianne Thomas 

VETERANS UNDAUNTED BY BAD WEATHER   -    Program For Memorial Day Yesterday Was Carried Out As Had Been Previously Arranged –  Autos For the Disabled.     EXERCISES AT THE ARMORY

Geneva’s veterans of the Civil War were undaunted by the chilly, misty weather which was nature's setting for Memorial Day yesterday far they carried out the program that had been arranged for the day in entirety.

The parade which had been scheduled to move at 9 o'clock was a little late in starting, but the turnout was good, considering  the weather. The inclemency of the day principally had its effect upon the veterans themselves for a much larger proportion of the old soldiers joined the ranks of the disabled and rode in automobiles, leaving only nine able bodied survivors to follow  the old flag in the procession.

Colonel William Wilson, the marshal of the day, took charge of the organization of the possession, but owing to the fact that he was obliged to go to Syracuse for the day he turned the command over to Captain  George E Gasper, shortly before the  line moved from Main street down Seneca Hill.

After passing around the square formed by Seneca Exchange and Castle streets, the procession went up Milton street to Pulteney Street Cemetery where the graves were decorated by students of the High School. The line went through Pulteney street to Washington street and thence to Washington Street Cemetery, where exercises were held by Swift Post at the monument to the unknown dead and the graves in this cemetery were decorated by the Sons of Veterans and the members of Swift Post.

When the procession was reformed, the line proceeded down Washington street to Pulteney Park to Main street and thence to the armory. After the parade a large audience gathered in the armory for the patriotic exercises in commemoration of the day. It was just 11 o'clock when Mayor R. H. Gulvin, this president of the day, called the assemblage to order and announced that the exercises would be opened by a selection by the band.

In turn, Rev. A. K. Hall, Ph.D., pastor of the First Methodist church, made the opening prayer, P. H. Leahy of the Sons of Veterans read General John A. Logan's original order establishing Memorial Day, Stanley ft. Smith of the High School recited "Lincoln's Gettysburg Address," Charles II Donnelly recited Ingersoll's Memorial Day" and William H. Pascoe recited John R. Fellows', "North and South”.

At this point in the exercises the member of Swift Post paid their respects to the memory of the comrades who have died in the city, since the last Memorial Day. This ceremony was in charge of Commander Phillip H. Russell and consisted in the reading of the necrology roll by O. T. May, the Post adjutant, with the comrades standing.  

This year there were four names on the roll, who were together, with their records, as follows:  

"Stanford Hall Platt, who was born in Geneva and enlisted in Brooklyn early in 1861 for three months in Co. B of the Brooklyn Regiment. He was again mustered into service at Geneva in August IMS as lieutenant of Company G, 126th New York Volunteers.  He was promoted to Captain in 1863 and participated in the battles of Bull Run, Gettysburg and the Wilderness.  He died at Bath at the age of 72 years on March 17, 1913 and was buried at Glenwood cemetery, Geneva.  Comrade Platt did not belong to the Grand Army.

Marquis K. Simpson, who was born in Orange County, NY", on Sept. 23, 1820. He enlisted at Geneva , on August 7, 1862  in Company B, 126th New York Volunteers. Was surrendered at Harpers Ferry on Sept. 11, 15, 1862, and was in the battles of Bolivar Heights, Gettysburg, and Antietam . Later he was transferred to hospital duty and was mustered out with the company on June 3, 1865 , having served three years.  He died in Geneva on April 3, 1912, at the age of 83 years, and was buried in Glenwood Cemetery. Comrade Simpson joined Swift Post many years ago.

"Silas D. Burroughs, who was born in Wayne County and enlisted on August 28, l862, as a private in Company A, 160th New York Infantry. He was promoted to sergeant and was discharged on November 1, 1865 , having served over three years.  He was secretary of the 160th Regimental Association from the time of its organization.  He died in Geneva on April 24th, at the age of 74 years and was buried in Glenwood Cemetery.  Comrade Burroughs was a member of Grand Army for a long time, having joined Vosburgh Post of Newark, on Sept. 8, 1870.

"Barnum Slocum, who enlisted on May 22. 1861, in Company G, 88th New York Volunteer Infantry and was discharged as first sergeant in June 17, 1861 for disability. He died in Geneva on May 28, 1912 , at the age of 82 years, and was buried in   Glenwood Cemetery . Comrade Slocum did not belong to the Grand Army.

"Alexander Thornton, who was born in Ireland and enlisted on August 7, 1862 , in Company E, 126th New York Volunteers.  He was detailed as provost guard at Second Corps headquarters and was discharged on July 1865, having served three years. He died in Waterloo on May 25, 1912 , and was buried in Glenwood Cemetery. Comrade Thornton was formerly a member of Swift Post."

After this roll had been read and taps had been blown by Sergeant W. J. Cummings, Commander Russell directed that the record of their service be preserved in the archives of the Post.

Memorial Day Address -   The Memorial Day address was then delivered by Rev. H, L. Gaylord, Ph. D, of St. John's Church, Canandaigua.  Mr. Gaylord gave a stirring address in which he paid a fitting tribute to the veterans and also provided an inspiration for  the present Generation.   

He said in part:  "We are glad of an opportunity to honor the veterans of the Civil War, for it is a truly beautiful custom to meet once each year to express our gratitude to them for the preservation of the Union . It has been said that a history of an event should not be attempted until after 50 years have elapsed. We are now standing at a time just 50 years removed from the most critical events in the struggle.  It is now 50 years ago since the men went out to face the issues and we can  look out upon the  events with somewhat chastened vision. We can now catch the importance and significance of the struggle.

It was ostensibly a test to see if a nation founded on democratic principles was to stand, but deeper than this it was a test to see  if the people of  the country would surmount above the contradiction produced by slavery against declaration for a government “of the people,  by the people and for the people.” 

"There are two ages in civilization, one of conflict and the other of discussion.  We should rejoice that the time is coming when  men who have differences can set in a room and discuss them and arrive at a peaceful understanding. As we contemplate the cost of the war we cannot help concluding that there is a better way. The age of discussion means the application of intelligence to every question and to surplant the cudgei with reason.

This new era means, however, that we still have a duty and a responsibility for each hour to the end that our courts administer justice, until we have legislatures that cannot be corrupted and business methods that are actuated by  absolute honesty.”

The exercises were concluded by the benediction, which was pronounced by Rev. W. H. Webb. D. D.

The Geneva Daily Times,              Tuesday                Feb 25, 1913               by: Dianne Thomas 


Theodore DUFFIN, one of Geneva's oldest colored residents, died this morning at 11:46, aged 75 year. Cause of death was hardening of the arteries.

Mr. DUFFIN  was born in Geneva and had always made this city his home. He is a member of Swift Post, No. 94, S. A. R., having enlisted in 1862 in Company B, 8th Regiment, of the U.S. Colored Infantry. He was a member of Trinity church. He has always followed the one trade, that of a barber. He leaves two brothers, John and Hampshire DUFFIN, of New York, three nieces, Irene and Bessie DUFFIN of Elmira and Mrs. Georgia Hardenburg, of Boston. 

Mr. DUFFIN 's wife has been dead about twenty years. The funeral service will be held Friday afternoon at 4 o'clock from Trinity church, Dr. C. M. Sills, officiating. Interment will be in the Soldiers' plot in Glenwood Cemetery.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY      June  19, 1913                      by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Geneva  -  June 18 - At the residence of Mr. and Mrs. G. Frederick FORDEN, of No. 181 Pulteney street, this afternoon at 5 o'clock took place the marriage of their daughter, Miss Caroline M. FORDEN to Major John Mc CLURE, of the State Military School of Roswell, New Mexico. The wedding was a pink and green affair. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. B. HUBBS, D. D., rector of St. Peter's Episcopal Church. At the strains of the "Lohengrin" wedding march, the bride and groom entered the parlor from the hall, and took their places before a screen of pink roses and green vines, with palms at each 
side. They were unattended.
Flowers and vines were in profusion in each room and in the hall, and the bride's table in the dining room, where the supper was served was prettily decorated with roses and candelabra. The bride wore white charmuse, with a rolie (?) Of duchess lace. Her tulle veil was caught to the hair with fancy pins, and she carried a shower bouquet of bride roses and lilies of the valley. The groom's gift to the bride was a handsome diamond and pearl pendant.
Guest were present from Rochester, Avon, Batavia, Hall and Schenectady. Mr. and Mrs. McCLURE left this evening for Washington and later will go to Stanton, Va., the home of the groom's parents. They expect to return to Geneva about August 1st, and will then go to their own home in Roswell, New Mexico.

Deaths  -  Geneva  -  June 18 - James FEE, aged 75 years, died this afternoon at his residence, No. 15 West avenue, after an illness of several months. Mr. FEE leaves one daughter, Miss Anna FEE, of this city, and one son, James A. FEE, of Sioux City, Iowa.

The Post Standard, Syracuse NY      Friday Morning     October 31, 1913                     by Dianne Thomas

Geneva Daily Times,  Geneva, NY                         Saturday              January 3, 1914          by Dianne Thomas

PHELPS - Mrs. Elizabeth C. KENDIG - Funeral Was Held at Phelps Yesterday Morning.

Phelps - Jan. 3 - The funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth C. KENDIG, whose death occurred Tuesday night, was held yesterday morning at her late home in West Main street and burial was made at Washington St. Cemetery, Geneva.  Rev. J. S. NASMITH, pastor of the Baptist church conducted the services.  

Mrs. KENDIG who had reached the advanced age of 99 years, had been an invalid for some time but had retained her mental faculties until the end.  She had been born near Melvin Hill, in the town of Phelps, on Sept. 15, 1815, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James CARSON.  She was married in 1843 to Samuel B. KENDIG, who for several years had been cashier at a Geneva bank. Six years later they moved to Cleveland, where Mr. KENDIG engaged in business.  He died 30 years ago and since then his widow has spent most of her time in Washington, DC.  With her daughter, Mrs. Dorsey CLEGGETT, she came to the village of Phelps to reside about 3 years ago.  Her surviving relatives are two sons and two daughters, S. B. KENDIG, W. G. KENDIG, Mrs. J. W. POWELL and Mrs. Dorsey CLEGGETT, all of Washington DC.  

Union & Advertiser,    Rochester, Monroe, N.Y.          May 18, 1914           by: GSubyak@aol.com   


Geneva, N.Y.   -   May 18 - Marie the 7 year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carey WHITAKER, of Monroe avenue, is at the City Hospital, suffering from a fracture of the thigh and possibly other injuries as a result of an accident which happened in Washington street cemetery Saturday. The girl, with other school children, visiting the cemetery and while playing in the grounds took hold of a tombstone, which fell on her.

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester,  N. Y.        Monday,  April  19, 1915                by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva -  April 18 - The death of Mrs. Nancy T. CURLIN occurred yesterday afternoon in the Geneva City Hospital. Mrs. CURLIN was born in Geneva, February 25, 1830, and was one of the oldest colored residents of Geneva. She had lived here most all her life. 

In 1853 she went to Jamaica, West Indies, as a missionary teacher under the English government and taught there twenty-five years, returning to Geneva in 1875. The funeral will be held from the High Street chapel Monday afternoon at 8 o'clock and burial will be in Washington street cemetery.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY    Wednesday June 1, 1916                           by Dianne Thomas


At SWEENY - TOOLE Wedding in Geneva Church


Geneva-June 1- At 10 o'clock this morning in St. Stephen's church, Miss Anna B. TOOLE, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Michael TOOLE of 365 Castles street, became the bride of Stephen J. SWEENEY, son of Mrs. Thomas B. SWEENEY and junior member of the farm of Thomas H. Sweeney and Sons real estate.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. Stephen V. McPADDEN, rector of the church, who also celebrated a special mass. The maid of honor was Miss Cora SWEENEY, sister of the groom; and the best man was Frank P. MC PADDEN.  The ushers were Thomas WEBB of this city,  Robert J. SUMMERS of Buffalo, Lewis J. STAUFF of Seneca Falls and William E. CORRARA, of Penn Yan.  

Miss TOOLE was beautifully gowned in her white crepe de polo, under with coupe? train and trimmed with dutch lace and pearls.  He lace veil which extended down the length of the train, was ranght  in the hair with orange blossoms and lilies of the valley.  The maid of honor wore a gown of pink French crepe, draped with silk shadow lace and wore a transparent hat, trimmed with pink roses and tulle,  She carried pink sweet-peas.

To the strains of the Lohegrin bridal chorus, the bridal party entered the church preceded by the ushers and maid of honor.  The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Edward J. TOOLE.  During the celebration of the mass, musical selections were sung by Miss Gertrude DOCAEK of Rochester, Mrs. Daniel REGAN of Rochester, Mrs. Daniel REGAN and Mrs. Thomas A KANE, of this city.

Following a church service a wedding dinner was served to the immediate relatives and friends in the home of the bride's parents. The brides table was artistically decorated with bride roses, sweet peas and tulle.  The favors were miniature brides and grooms.  The entire house was decorated with pink and white roses, sweet peas and snap dragons, with ferns and palms in profusion.  The church decorations were in pink roses, pink hydrangeas, white spires and palms.

The groom's gift to the bride, was a brooch of diamonds and pearls.  To his best man he gave gold cufflinks, and to the ushers, walking sticks.  The brides' gift to the maid of honor was a pearl hairpin. Guests were present from Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Utica, Seneca Falls, Penn Yan and Ogdensburg. 

After a trip, Mr. and Mrs. SWEENEY will be at home after July 1st at 365 Castle street.


Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY    Wednesday June 1, 1916                           by Dianne Thomas



Geneva - June 1- The first June wedding was celebrated this morning at 7:45 o'clock at St. Francis DeSales church, when Miss Rose Helen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John REAGAN, of Rose street, became the bride of John S. COLLINS, of this city.  The ceremony was performed by Very Rev. William A. McDONALD, M. B. The bride was attended by Miss Ella McNICHOLAS and Francis REAGAN was best man.  The bride wore a suit of blue silk poplin with hat to match and carried a prayer book.  A breakfast was served in the house of the bride's parents.  After an extended trip, Mr. and Mrs. COLLINS will be at their new home, No. 109 Cherry street, this city.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY     Sat Jan 1, 1916         by: GSubyak@aol.com


Henry B. GRAVES of Geneva Tells of His New Plans - 
Geneva, Dec. 31 - Henry B. GRAVES, formerly secretary and treasurer of the Standard Optical Company, who this evening concluded his official connection with that company announced this afternoon his plans for the future. 

He will take up the active management of the Colombia Products Company, a corporation organized for the purpose of importing into the United States the products of the republic of Colombia.
In the near future Mr. GRAVES, with other members of the company and experts on vegetable ivory and hides, plan a visit to Colombia and after a four months' trip through the country will take charge of the interests of the company in this country.
  The Colombia Produce Company is capitalized at $350,000 under the laws of the state of Maine. Mrs. GRAVES is secretary and treasurer of the company; Judge George A. BENTON, of Rochester, president: A. Bernard GROVER, of Rochester, vice-president, and Moses B. SHANTZ, of Rochester, assistant treasurer.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY              Sat Jan 1, 1916              by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva, Dec. 31 - At a meeting of the Geneva Bar Association, held at noon to-day in the office of its president, John G. FARWELL, the attorneys of this city went on record as favoring the appointment of Judge Robert F. THOMPSON to the office of Supreme Court justice of this district, to become vacant on February 1st, through the resignation of Justice Arthur E. SUTHERLAND.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY       Monday,     Jan 3, 1916              by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva, Jan. 2 - The first wedding of the New Year took place in St. Francis De Sales Church at high noon yesterday when Miss Anna McNAMARA, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McNamara, of North Exchange street, was married to Edward O'BRIEN, of Ilion, N. Y. The ceremony was performed by Very Rev. William A. McDONALD, rector of the church. The bride was attended by her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth McNAMARA and George KRUGE, of Poughkeepsie, was best man. Mr. and Mrs. O'BRIEN will live in Roselle Park, N. J., where Mr. O'BRIEN is assistant superintendent of schools.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY       Mon Jan 3, 1916              by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva, Jan. 2 - A report from the home of President POWELL, who was stricken with a fainting spell in Seneca street yesterday afternoon when on his way home, was that the president was resting comfortably with no serious symptoms in sight. It was stated that the cause of Dr. POWELL's condition was due to overwork which consumed his time during the Christmas vacation. Dr. POWELL is still confined to his bed but his condition is thought to be steadily improving.

Rochester Republican, Rochester, Monroe, NY,   Tuesday,     Jan 4, 1916       by: GSubyak@aol.com

Geneva, Jan. 3 - The marriage of Dr. William H. LICHT, of New York city, son of Mr. and Mrs. John F. LICHT, of this city, to Miss Alice UTTER, of Patterson, N. J., took place Saturday (Jan 1st) in St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Patterson. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. HAMILTON.

Shortsville Enterprise, Shortsville, NY        Thursday    July 6, 1916                      by:  Dianne Thomas  

DELBRIDGE - LARZELERE - The marriage of Miss Gladys LARZELERE of Geneva, a member of the faculty of the Shortsville High school for the year just closed, and Frederick DELBRDIGE of Corfu, were solemnized at the home of the bride's brother, Benton LARZELERE, in Geneva, at 4 o'clock last week, Wednesday afternoon.  The nuptial knot was tied by the Rev. Ralph CUSHMAN, pastor of the First Methodist church in that city.  Following the ceremony a reception was given to about 50 guests.  A luncheon was served, covers being laid for 8 at the bride's table.  Miss LARZELERE was attired in a gown of white crepe de chine.  AT the conclusion of their honeymoon journey, Mr. and Mrs. DELBRIDGE will reside at Corfu and will be home to their friends after August 1.  Shortsville friends will join The Enterprise in extending felicitations. 

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, NY  Saturday,   Dec 9, 1916                  by:  Dianne Thomas  

Thomas C. CARRIGAN - Geneva - Dec 8 - Thomas C. CARRIGAN died in the home of his son, Thomas J. CARRIGAN of No. 147 West street, last night.  He leaves his wife and three sons, Thomas J. CARRIGAN of Geneva, Michael J. of Chicago and William C. of Detroit; four daughters, Katherine, Anna and Margaret of this city and Mary CARRIGAN of Cortland, NY. The funeral will be held Saturday morning, at 3:30 o'clock from the house and 9 o'clock from St. Stephens' Church.  Interment will be in St. Patrick's Cemetery.  

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Saturday      January 13, 1917     pg  4


Benjamin F. Cleggett Dies in Geneva at 83 Years.    Worked in Underground.

Geneva, Jan. 12 -  Benjamin F. Cleggett, aged 83 years, supposed to be the oldest 'barber in the State of New York, died suddenly this afternoon at 1 o'clock in his home, 83d William street.   Mr. Cleggett, who had a barber shop in William street,  a short distance front his home, bad just reached home for dinner, but before he could remove his outer garments be fell to the floor, and expired of heart disease.

Dr. T. D. Rupert was called, but it was too late to be of any assistance.

Mr. Cleggett was one of the most influential colored men in this section of the state. He was born in Amboy. NY  and had expressed himself as having a desire to at  least reach the ago of  90 years, although be would have liked to have lived to be 100.   He would have been 90 years of age next July.   He learned his trade in Toronto , Canada , and moved to Rochester in 1845.  In 1856, be came to Geneva .

Mr. Cleggett could tell of many changes which he bad witnessed in Geneva in his lifetime. He was one of those who helped the slaves  from America to Canada , working in the underground railway, which was established before the Civil war. He served in the Civil war, was a sailor on board the USS Vanderbilt, but was never wounded.  He was also among those who paid their respects to Abraham Lincoln as he lay In State at the Capitol after his assassination.

Mr. Cleggett had been twice married and leaves his second wife, and three daughters. Mrs. F. S. Jasper. of Pennsylvania ; Mrs M. G. Kenney and Miss Alice Cleggett, of this city.        [buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Geneva, Soldiers Hill section]

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, NY    Feb 1, 1917                by: Pat Mims

Mrs. Helen Farr Webster
Geneva, Jan. 31--Mrs. Helen Farr WEBSTER, aged 76 years, widow of Edward Bay WEBSTER, died this morning (didn't get the rest of the article .... )

Penn Yan Democrat      Friday   Feb 23, 1917       by  Dianne Thomas

JAMES SNYDER SENTENCED - James Henry SNYDER, aged 23, of Geneva, indicted for the hold up and robbery of Ulysses HUNT in Victor town in December last, was sentenced to the Elmira reformatory by Justice BENTON in supreme court this afternoon. SNYDER begged to be sent to Auburn prison in stead of the reformatory but the court declined to change the sentence.

SNYDER is more than six feet tall.  When called to the bar he was handed a letter written by his mother, which District Attorney N. D. LAPHAM had just received by special delivery and had turned over to the court. SNYDER dropped his head on the bench and wept bitterly while Justice BENTON was making a brief address preliminary to pronouncing sentence.  SNYDER was permitted to take his mother's letter. - Canandaigua Messenger 

DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE   Rochester, Monroe Co, NY      Thursday,     June 28,  1917             by Sylvia Olson

McMAHON - McCARTHY   (NOTE: the McMahon name was spelled two ways in this article.)

Geneva, June 27. - St. Stephen's Church was the scene of a pretty wedding this morning when Miss Margaret Elizabeth McCARTHY, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth McCARTHY, was married to Robert Francis McMAHON, son of Mr. and Mrs. William McMAHON, of Waterloo. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Stephen V. McPADDEN, assisted by Rev. George W. DOUD, of St Francis De Sales Church, who read the nuptial mass. During the mass Mrs. Thomas A. KANE and Mrs. Daniel DEEGAN rendered several select numbers. The bride's gown was of white charmeuse and she wore a white lace hat. Her bouquet was a shower of bride roses and sweet peas. Her sister, Miss Julia McCARTHY, was bridesmaid and wore yellow crepe de chine with hat to match of lace. She carried yellow tea roses and smilax. The best man was Walter McMAHAN of Waterloo, brother of the bridegroom.
After a reception to the immediate friends and relatives of the bride and bridegroom a wedding breakfast was served. Mr. and Mrs. McMAHAN will live at their new home, No. 29 Walnut street, Waterloo.


Geneva, June 27. - At the church of St. Francis De Sales this morning, at 9:30 o'clock, took place the marriage of Miss Julia B. STAPELTON, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick STAPELTON, of No. 131 Main street, to John SLINE, also of this city. The altar and sanctuary were decorated with peonies and palms. The bride was gowned in white Georgette crepe, with white hat and she carried a shower bouquet of bride roses. Her sister, Miss Mary STAPELTON, was bridesmaid, and was gowned in white net with light green messaline drapings. She wore a black picture hat, and carried American beauty roses. The best man was George KELLEHER, of this city. Rev. John F. MUCKLE, acting rector of the church officiated. During the celebration of the ceremony, Mrs. C.F. NEIDER sang several selections.
Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served at the home of the bride's parents. Mr. and Mrs. SLINE left on an automobile trip and will be at home at No. 107 West street after August 1st. The ushers were James McDONALD, of Geneva, and Francis LYONS, of Elmira.


Geneva, June 27. - Miss Marcellia G. SPARROW, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James R. SPARROW, of No. 186 Genesee street, and John F. BRADLEY, of this city, were married at 7 o'clock at the church of St. Francis De Sales, Rev. George W. DOUD officiating. Miss SPARROW was attended by her sister, Miss Lillian SPARROW, of this city, and Edgar TOOLE acted as best man. After an automobile trip of a week, Mr. and Mrs. BRADLEY will return to Geneva and reside at No. 423 Castle Heights.

Democrat & Chronicle,   Rochester, Monroe, NY         Wed,  Nov 21, 1917                          by: GSubyak@aol.com

Dr. C. W. Grove Made Surgeon of Guard Regiment
Geneva  -   Nov. 20   - Word was received at the Company B Armory to-night from Syracuse that Dr. C. W. GROVE, of this city, had been appointed regimental surgeon with the rank of major.   Since the department of Company B Dr. GROVE has been active in assisting in recruiting the home company up to its present standard of 100 men, and has been acting as company surgeon.

Working Boys Drilled by Military Instructor
   Geneva, Nov. 20 - Captain J. George STACEY, military instructor for this district, to-night started his school at the armory with a class of forty young boys from the Standard Optical Company and the United States Lens Company. The young men were enrolled in the state cadets corps and were then placed on the armory floor and given the first rudiments in soldiery.
Captain STACEY was assisted by Howard R. SEAGER, Wilson GASPER, Noble G. IRISH, Kenneth BURROUGHS and Lloyd HUMPHRIES, of the high school, and Charles O'MALLEY, Thomas HANLON and John GLEASON, of St. Francis de Sales High School. 
These young men attended the state school of instruction at Peekskill, and will act as non-commissioned officers in Captain STACEY's school of instruction.  The employees of the Geneva Cutlery Company, numbering about fifty youths,
will be called to-morrow evening.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, Monroe, NY    Tuesday, Nov 22, 1917                           by Dianne Thomas

SCARES CREDITOR WITH A SHOTGUN -   Trick Worked but Debtor is in Jail

Geneva - Nov 21- James CALABRESE and Sam JONES, employees of the Untied States Lens Company became involved in an argument this afternoon which culminated in CALABRESE being landed in jail on a charge of attempted assault.  CALABRESE was arrested this evening  by Patrolman Jeremiah McNERNEY while attempting to make his escape through the Reed woods, west of this City.

It was learned tonight, from CALABRESE that he owned JONES some money at that this afternoon the company paid off. JONES, according to the of CALABRESE, told another employee if CALABRESE did not pay him, he would "get" him.  When CALABRESE heard this he decided he would go home by way of the back door of the factory.  He was seen by JONES, who followed CALABRESE to his boarding house in West High Street.

CALABRESE ran into the house, procured a shotgun, went to an upstairs window and ordered JONES from the premises and at the same time, shot the gun.  When JONES heard the report of the gun, he turned and ran to the police station, where he made a complaint against CALABRESE.  A hearing will be held in the morning.  

Democrat & Chronicle,  Rochester, Monroe, NY      Friday,     Nov 23, 1917              by: GSubyak@aol.com  


Geneva -  Nov. 21 - At the parsonage of the First Methodist Church yesterday morning Rev. Ralph S. CUSHMAN, pastor, officiating, the marriage of Miss Fanny Elizabeth CRAM, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank CRAM, of 61 Cherry
street, to Eldon J. REIGLE, of Seneca Falls, took place. After the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. REIGLE left by automobile for Syracuse, Schenectady, Albany and Glenns Falls. They will be at home to their friends on December 15th at 325 West Fall street, Seneca Falls.

Geneva -  Nov. 22 - A quiet wedding took place this morning at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. RIPPEY, High street, when their cousin, Mrs. Nellie E. GRIDLEY, of Romulus, was married to John A. STADDEN, of Crook, Col., by Rev.
Edward J. MEEKER, of Lodi. The only guests were near relatives. After a wedding breakfast Mr. and Mrs. STADDEN left on a visit to friends in Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey, and will be at home after April 1st in Crook, Col.


Geneva -   Nov. 22 - The death of Eugene HARRISON, aged 60 years, occurred to-day at his residence, No. 26 Castle street, after a long illness. He leaves four sons, Clarence, Timothy, Maurice and Bert HARRISON, and a daughter, Miss Ada HARRISON, of this city; two brothers, Ambrose HARRISON, of Rushville, and George N. HARRISON, of Penn Yan, and a sister, Mrs. Nellie SNYDER of Michigan.


Italian Employees Unanimously Give Day's Pay Each
Geneva - Nov. 22 - The work of the committee in charge of the Italian Day campaign to-day report that the campaign is already an assured success, Joseph F. MADIA, chairman of the committee, canvassed the United States lens plant.
Every man of Italian extraction employed there contributed, as did the women and girls. Many American girls employed at the plant also were voluntary contributors. Charles E. WILSON, president, and Robert A. WHITING, manager of the lens company, headed the list of donors.
A report from the plant of the United States Radiator Corporation showed a similar result. Every Italian employee and many other pledged themselves to give a day's pay. Similar reports are being received from other shops, in connection with the campaign a census of all the Italian laborers in the city is being taken.



Geneva - Nov. 22 - Gunner's Mate C. H. WHITE, of Rochester naval recruiting office, has arrived in Geneva to establish a branch of the Rochester office in this city. He will be in charge of the Geneva office and will make his headquarters at the post office during the day and at the Carrollton Hotel during the evening.

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Friday          Jan 4, 1918              by:  Dianne Thomas


Fatality at Home of Timothy F. NYHAN, Who Once Attached Police Surgeon 

Laboring under the illusion that a burglar had entered his house, Timothy NYHAN, 45 years old, a member of the police department, attacked his wife in her bedroom on the second floor of the house at No. 4 Lee place at 11 o'clock last night, and after a terrific struggle succeeded in killing her. The unfortunate woman fought desperately but was overpowered and her head beaten in with the butt end of a revolver.  

After killing his wife, NYHAN put on his hat and coat and calmly went to the home of his sister in law, Mrs. Michael SEGRUE, 30 years old of No. 5 Day place.  Telling her that her sister was seriously ill, he accompanied her back to the house.  Once at the top of the stairway leading to the death chamber, NYHAN attacked Mrs. SEGRUE.  He shot her through the face and tried to strangle her.  The woman escaped from the house and gave the alarm. She is in the St. Mary's Hospital.  NYHAN shortly after was taken into custody by policemen from the Bronson avenue station.  He is believed to have been insane.  


Develops Queer Traits -  NYHAN was a giant when appointed a patrolman on the police force on December 15, 1905. He was assigned to the Lyell avenue station and remained there until May 1914, when he was transferred to the traffic squad.  He was detailed to duty at Main and Fitzhugh streets.

He was generally looked upon as a good officer but in the summer developed peculiar traits and did queer things about the assembly room at headquarters that canned comment among his brother officers.  Later he was reported to be ill and went home on a leave of absence.  He was attended by his family physician  and Dr. John A. STAPLETON, the department physician, called at the house to see him one day in the fall.   NYHAN complained at the time that he was not being treated right, and followed the physician to the door. As Dr. STAPLETON was walking out of the yard, NYHAN fired two shots at him. The physician is a pretty good sized man and it was considered as remarkable that neither bullet struck him.  One embedded itself in a tree and the other went wild. 

Condition Worse of Late - Since last time NYHAN had kept to the house, rarely showing himself about the premises.  His faithful wife, who was Miss Mary F. DWYER, looked after the premises, did all the errands and collected his pay until that source of income was shut off.  Persons in the neighborhood of the NYHAN home, suspected that the man was insane and feared that something one day would happen.

Of late, neighbors say  NYHAN had made a great deal of trouble for his wife.  He talked constantly and sometimes yelled.  To strangers the sounds would have indicated the couple quarreling, and for that reason little attention was given to the noises when NYHAN attacked his wife last night.  Persons living on either side of the NYHAN house say the voices in the upper part of the house were unusually loud last night and it was evident that the two were fighting.  The tramping and running of the Policeman and his wife about the house was plainly heard.  Despite that condition no complaint was made to the police.  

Desperate Struggle Indicated - 

From conditions in the room it is evident that Mrs. NYHAN had retired for the night.  She was garbed only in her night gown. NYHAN was fully clothed, and in his crazed moments he imagined a burglar had entered the house.  It is believed the men sought for his revolver, which had not been taken from his possession.  His wife had probably hidden the gun somewhere at the house, as four beds in as many rooms, were found turned upside down when police officials entered the house later in the night.  

It is thought that Mr. NYHAN finally secured the gun, and made a desperate effort to escape from her husband by leaping out of one of the bedroom windows.  The window pane was broken and the broken glass had cut jagged wounds in her hands and arms.  The woman fought desperately but her husband, reinforced by a fury and strength seems to endow insane persons at such times, eventually beat her down and into insensibility.  Once on the floor, he reigned blow after blow with the butt of a heavy revolver on her head.   The top and back of her skull were literally crushed in. 

Attacks Sister In Law -  After the killing had been accomplished, NYHAN donned his coat and hat and went to the home of Mrs. SEGRUE.  Entering the house without knocking he quietly informed Mrs. SEGRUE that her sister was very ill and wanted her to come over at once.  Mrs. SEGRUE accompanied NYHAN to the house. They entered by the back door and as soon as they had reached the top landing of the stairwell, Mrs. SEGRUE saw the body of her sister on the floor.  With a shriek she turned about and saw the glaring eyes and great hands of her brother in law were raised against her.  

What transpired in the next few seconds has not been reined and will not be until Mrs. SEGRUE is able to talk. When the woman started to turn back NYHAN barred the way.  She cried for help when the powerful man seized her.  In shaking from his grasp, her forehead was cut.  NYHAN then brought the revolver into play.  He had broken the handle from the gun in pounding his wife to death, but the barrel and trigger intact, he fired two shots at Mrs. SEGRUE.  One entered one side of her cheek and it is said is lodged in the bone of the face.  The other bullet grazed the top of her head, making a scalp wound.  


Says Burglar Killed Her -  Mrs. SEGRUE was able to tear herself from NYHAN's grasp.  In doing so she fell over and rolled down the entire length of the stairway.  She rolled out onto the stoop and fell over into the backyard.  NYHAN too fell down the stairway,  but was so stunned for the moment that Mrs. SEGRUE was able to make her escape.  She ran through the backyard and climbing the rear fence hurried out into the adjoining street.  Then she screamed and fell in a faint.  

By this time the entire neighborhood had aroused and it realized that at last the expected tragedy had occurred.  While a number of men had watched the house, word was telephoned to police headquarters and the Bronson avenue station.  Patrolman McGEE, Joseph CULHANE and William CHRISTIE Jr. hurried to Lee place, and found NYHAN had left the house. About a block distant in Columbus avenue, they found him, sauntering along in an unconcerned manner.

When he saw the three policemen hurrying in his direction NYHAN had started to run.  The men called out to stop.  

"Hold on Tim", called out one of the coppers, "wait a minute". 

"I'm with ye", he replied as he stopped and waived for the officers to come up to him.  "Ye know a burglar just killed my wife.  I had a tough battle with him, but he got away."

Rooms in Confusion - The officers had no trouble in leading NYHAN to the Brannan avenue station and soon after he was transferred to police headquarters.  He constantly spike of "burglars" and seemed intent of finding what became of them. 

So soon as a report of the murder was given to the police, the heads of the department were notified.  The ambulance of St. Mary's Hospital  was called and Mrs. SEGRUE was hurried to that institution. Chief QUIGLEY, Deputy Chief ZIMMERMAN, Detective Captain WHALEY and Coroner Frederick R. SMITH,  went to the NYHAN home in Lee place.  The eight there was a sickening one.  The unfortunate woman lay on the floor in a pool of blood. Great splashes of blood were seen upon the walls, on the bed clothing, on the curtains about the window and about the broken glass and the window sills besides.  On the floor lay the broken butt of the gun. 

The rooms were in terrible confusion.  The contents of four beds had been thrown over the floor and the beds overturned.  Chairs had been overturned, probably by the wife while trying to evade the blows of her husband. 


Man Apparently Insane - Coroner SMITH caused the body to be removed to the morgue and a guard was placed over the premises.  The Coroner, Chief QUIGLEY and Captain WHALEY then went to the hospital where they were able to obtain a little information from Mrs. SEGRUE.  Coroner SMITH said Mrs. SEGRUE probably would recover, but that she had suffered severely from the gunshot wound, her other injuries and the terrible shock. 

It was long past midnight when the police officials, Coroner SMITH and William F. LOVE, assistant district attorney, began an examination of NYHAN in Captain WHALEY's office.  He probably will be locked up on a charge of murder, and later in the day examined as to his sanity.  There is apparently no question as to his mental condition.  

About midnight, Patrolman BAKER found the gun barrel - the missing part of NYHAN's gun, between two fence pickets in front of a Columbia avenue house. 

It is said that the friends of Mrs. NYHAN took steps last summer to have NYHAN examined and committed to an institution. Mrs. NAHAN is said to have frowned on the proposition, saying that she could get strong with her husband and that she was not in fear of him.  


The Syracuse Journal   Friday          Jan 4, 1918              by:  Dianne Thomas


Rochester - Jan 4 - In a fit of maniacal passion, Policeman Timothy F. NYHAN, shot and clubbed his wife, Mary F. NYHAN, to death last night in their home at 4 Lee pl.  He then turned on his wife's sister, Mrs. Michael F. SUGRUE, of 5 Day pl., shot her and clubbed her brutally.  Mrs. SUGRUE is in St. Mary's hospital. It is not know whether she will live.

For more than a year, NYHAN has been known to be a dangerous lunatic, ever since he stood on the porch of his home one day last February and shot at the retreating form of Police Surgeon John A. STAPLETON, who had been at the house to call upon the man.  NYHAN'S madness culminated in the murder last night.  He ran amuck with revolver and club at 11 o'clock.  

Despite the terrific beating which she had received at the hands of the crazed man, Mrs. SUGRUE tore herself from his clutches and escaped from the house.  She staggered to the stairway, the affair having taken place in an upper bedroom, got out of the house, made her way over two fences and through deep snow to home of  Mrs. Anna GUINAN of 2 Lee place, where she told her story and from where she was sent to the hospital.  

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Wednesday          Jan 9, 1918              by:  Dianne Thomas


Fact Brought Out in Mrs. SEGRUE'S Statement


But Will Be Unable To Leave Hospital For Some Time - Describes How Policemen Attacked Her - No New Development Since Monday

The fact that Timothy F. NYHAN on the night his wife was murdered, told his wife's sister, Mrs. Michael F. SEGRUE that he had killed her sister was brought out in a statement made on Monday at St. Marys' Hospital by Mrs. SEGRUE to Detective-Captain WHALEY and Assistant District Attorney William F. LOVE.

No new developments came yesterday in the case.  Practically all the neighbors have been questions by the Captain of Detectives WHALEY and Assistant District Attorney William F. LOVE, and it is probable that the case will rest until NYHAN is arraigned for his hearing in police court on January 18. The matter of an attorney to represent Mr. NYHAN is still unsettled.  John J. McINERNEY, who has been mentioned, is to give his decision sometime today.  

On Monday afternoon, Captain WHALEY and Mr. LOVE questioned Mrs. Michael F. SEGRUE in her room at St. Mary's Hospital, where she is still suffering from the effects of the wounds inflicted on her by policemen.  She is still very weak from the terrible ordeal she passed through, but was able to give a very clear story of the happenings of last Thursday night.


Says He Killed Wife - "NYHAN came to our house," said Mrs. SEGRUE, "and said that he wanted me to come over to his house, as my sister, Mary, was sick.  I asked my husband to care for the baby while I was gone.  I got ready as quickly as possible and went along with NYHAN. He walked ahead of me all the way.  

We went into the house by the rear door and he went up to the head of the stairs and stopped when he reached there.  I followed, and when I was at the head of the stairs he suddenly turned on me and said, "I have killed your sister; now I'm going to finish you."

"I was startled for an instant, but tried to wretch my wrists free from NYHAM'S clasp."  As I was struggling to free myself I received a staggered blow on the head.  I was determined to get away so I rolled to the front door and out into the street."

Wife Left Him Once -   It was learned that NYHAN had been on unfriendly terms with the SEGRUE'S, for some time past. NYHAN had never visited them while Mrs. SEGRUE had advised her sister to leave NYHAN.  It is said that at one times Mrs. NYHAN did actually leave husband, stayed five or six days with the SEGRUE'S, but this was some time ago.   

The funeral of Mrs. NYHAN was held yesterday morning from the home of her sister, No. 5 Day Place, at 8:45 AM and from the Immaculate Conception Church at 9 o'clock.  Requiem Mass was sung by Rev. A.M. O'NEILL .  Nephews of the murdered woman were the bearers.  Interment was made in the family lot in Seneca Falls. 

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Saturday          Jan 26, 1918              by:  Dianne Thomas


Neighbors Heard Sounds and Saw Him Leave House


And of Finding Mrs. NYHAN Alive but Near Death - Bartender in Saloon Says NYHAN Left Money with Him and Asked for a Drink

Testimony given before Coroner Frederick R. SMITH yesterday indicted, that neighbors knew of previous trouble in the home of Timothy F. NYHAN of No. 4 Lee place, the policeman who is believed to have shot and pounded his wife, Mary F. NYHAN, to death on the night of January 3d last.   William F. LOVE, assistant district attorney, assisted in the examination of the witness at the inquest, Charles E. CALLAHAN appeared in the interests of NYHAN, who is now awaiting the action of the February Grand Jury.

Brother In Law Testifies - Michael SUGRUE of No. 5 Day place, brother in law to Mrs. NYHAN and husband of Mary SUGRUE, who was attacked by NYHAN after his murderous assault on his wife, was the first witness. He said he had not been in the NYHAN house since June 1916.  It was about 10:30 o'clock on the night of January 3d, when he heard a knock at the front door of his home, he said, and going to the door he inquired who was there.  

"Tim NYHAN", was the reply.  "What do you want?" SUGRUE  asked. 

"Come over right away," NYHAN had replied. "Mary is pretty sick. "

SUGRUE said he told NYHAN some one would go to the house right off and NYHAN started away.  He said he and his wife discussed the matter  and his wife decided to go.  She donned her coat and leaving their baby in his charge, she left the house.

About ten minutes later SUGRUE testified that he heard the cries of a woman.  He opened the front door and ran out into the night.  He realized there was a commotion in the NYHAN dwelling and he hurried over there.  He went to the home of a neighbor, where he found his wife.  She had been attacked and badly hurt.  SUGRUE then told of his wife being removed to St. Mary's Hospital  and said she had only been brought home on Wednesday afternoon. She will be confined to her bed several weeks more.  

Neighbor Hear Noises - Miss Mary STROGEN, of No. 2 Lee place, whose home adjoins the NYHAN premises, testified that she and her mother were home at the time of the murder.  About 10 o'clock she was in her room and had occasion to look out the window.  She said she heard a woman shriek and cry out as if in distress, and plainly heard the sounds of blows.  Then she heard a revolver shot. 

Miss STROGEN admitted that she was extremely nervous, because they had feared NYHAN ever since he had shot at Dr. John STAPLETON about a year ago.  She said she ran to the front door and called to a neighbor.  She asked the latter to summon a policeman.  

Returning to her room, Miss STROGEN said that she saw the window in the NYHAN house had been pushed outward and lay in the snow below.  The curtain and window were stained with blood. There were no lights in the house, and it remained in darkness until the arrival of policemen.  She said she saw NYHAN brought back to the house by policemen.  She heard his voice, but could not understand what he had said.  

Saw NYHAN Leave House - Charles P. STROGEN of No. 45 Columbia Ave., brother of Miss STROGEN, told of having been in his shop in the rear of No. 2 Lee Place until 9:30 o'clock that night.  As he was leaving the shop he heard sounds in the NYHAN house that resembled the breaking of dishes.  He looked in the direction of the NYHAN house, but saw nothing of an unusual nature. He went on home. 

An hour later, STROGEN said, he was called by a neighbor.  Mrs. Elizabeth PORTER of No. 212 Lee Place, who said trouble had taken place at the NYHAN house. He notified the police of the Bronson avenue station.  He watched out of a window at the rear of his house and saw two policemen approaching across lots.  He saw NYHAN leave his house alone.  STROGEN said he left his own house and hurried to the home of his mother.  He turned about and saw NYHAN returning toward his house.  He saw NYHAN walk upon the porch.  Next he saw the man leave the house and walk toward Columbia avenue.  As NYHAN by him, STROGEN said he stepped out upon the porch of his mother's house.  NYHAN stopped and faced him for a moment, STROGEN testified.  NYHAN carried his night stick in one hand.  STROGEN said he heard the man say "She don't love me anymore." 

STROGEN admitted that he backed away from the porch and ran to the back door.  Looking back he saw three policemen in the street.  They were some distance from NYHAN.  One shouted to NYHAN, STROGEN then said he walked back to the street and saw the three officers take NYHAN into custody.  They led the man back to his house.  NYHAN talked so rapidly that he was unable to understand what he said.  


Left Money in Saloon -  Dr. James P. BRADY, informed the Coroner that Mrs. SUGRUE would not be able to attend a session for the inquest for a month.  Arrangements will be made to take her testimony at her home.  

Austin J. MAHONEY of No. 200 Seward street, is employed in his father's saloon at No. 57 Bartlett street.  He was on duty at 10:40 o'clock on the night of the murder.  About that hour, NYHAN came to the rear door and knocked.  MAHONEY went to the door and met him.

" They are murdering my wife, murdering my brother in law and stealing my property."  MAHONEY testified  NYHAN said as he opened the door.  "Take this money and send it to my mother in the old country." 

MAHONEY said NYHAN handed him a roll of bills.  NYHAN carried a club in his right hand.  MAHONEY said he took the money and before he could engage in conversation with the man, he had turned and started to run away.  MAHONEY closed the door and walked to the bar.  He counted the money and found there was $340.11 in the roll. NYHAN suddenly entered the saloon, witness testified and walked up to the bar and pleaded for a drink of whiskey.  MAHONEY said he refused to give him any liquor.  

Another Heard Noises - James. L. BARRY of No. 6 Lee place, testified that he had heard noises in the NYHAN on several occasions on the fatal night, but as he had heard them before, he did not give the matter much attention.  Later he heard a woman scream and the crash of breaking glass.  A moment after, he saw Mrs. SUGRUE leap from the porch of the NYHAN house and ran between the two dwellings.  He saw her make her way to the house of a neighbor.  

Lieutenant John E. LANE of the Bronson avenue station, told of being notified of the trouble at the NYHAN home.  He detailed Patrolman McGEE and William H. CHRISTIE Jr. and motor cycle officer Joseph P. CULHANE to go to the house.  He went there himself a few minutes afterward and found the officers had NYHAN in custody. 

Officers Find Body  -  Officer CULHANE testified that when he and McGEE and CHRISTIE neared the house, they saw NYHAN approaching.  When he saw the officers he turned about and started to run away.  He called to NYHAN to stop, and he did.  When they came up with him, NEHAN said, "I'm with ye; I  don't want to have any trouble with my brother officers."

CULHANE said they took NYHAN'S club away from him and then entered the house.  Mrs. NEHAN lay on the floor. She was unconscious and breathing with difficulty.  She died in a few minutes, witness said.  CULHANE said he and the other officers found three bullets in the room where the woman had been killed.  

Patrolman McGEE and CHRISTIE corroborated CULHANE'S testimony. The inquest was adjourned to Thursday next.

Geneva Daily Times                 Friday                       May 31, 1918                        by:  Dianne Thomas

Observance of Memorial Day

The Honor Roll of the Dead since May 30, 1917 , was read by Major O. T. May of Swift Post, G. A. R., and contained the names of:

George Long, who died July 10, 1917;

Sylvanus White, died October 16, 1917;

John Wilson, died at Rome, N. Y., October 17, 1917 ;

Timothy Smith, died October 26, 1917 ;

Moses Yeomans, died January 6, 1918 ;

Henry L Horn, Spanish War Veteran, died March 5, 1918;

Lewis Bush, died March 29, 1918;

Alexander J. Clarke, Spanish War Veteran, died at Syracuse, April 9, 1918.

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Wednesday         Sept 11, 1918    pg 13         by:  Dianne Thomas

JOLT FOR YOUNG LOVERS - Elopers Brought Back and Arraigned in City Court Here

When Miss Anna TANTALO, 17 years old, of No. 3 Orange street, and Anthony BARBERITO, 19 years old of No. 159 Brown street, were arraigned in City Court yesterday on charges of vagrancy, Judge Raymond E. WESTBURY learned that a romance and an elopement figured into the arrest.  He adjourned the case until Monday, in the belief that relatives would be able to effect an understanding. 

A year ago  parents of Miss TANTALO and Pietro TESTA arranged for their marriage, without consulting the young folks.  Being of American birth, Miss TANTALO objected to the arrangement.  

Encouraged by his parents and the girl's as well, TESTA insisted on pressing his suit.  The girl received him at her home, but insisted that the marriage would be deferred until after the war.  TESTA finally consented and is now fighting with the colors in France.  

After TESTA left for the front, Miss TANTALO met BARBERITO, who won her heart, but her parents objected.  The young lovers took a train for Syracuse, where they applied for a marriage license, but were disappointed.  Then BARBERITO wrote to a friend in Rochester, who informed Miss TANTALO's parents.  Her father then hurried to Syracuse, brought his daughter and her fiancé back to Rochester, and handed them over to the police.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, NY      Wed           Sept 25, 1918            by: GSubyak@aol.com

+  Geneva -  Sept. 24 - Mr. and Mrs. James JACKSON, of 38 Geneva street,  have received word from the headquarters of the U. S. Marine Corps stating that Lieutenant Samuel JACKSON, their son, now in France, has been commended for distinguished service in action and also recommended for the distinguished  service cross. Lieutenant JACKSON, of the Sixth Regiment of Marines, was  severely wounded in action near Vierzy on July 19. He was leading his  machine gun, section through a heavy barrage. He continued in the advance until  ordered from the field.

+  From Private Citizen to Acting Major in a Year  - 
Young Geneva Athlete is Appointed to Command of Student Corps.     (photo of Captain W. P. Loman)
Geneva, Sept. 24 - An illustration of perseverance, coupled with a natural ability in making a commissioned officer out of a private citizen in  about a year, is exemplified in the work of William P. LOMAN, son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick LOMAN, of No. 311 Pulteney street, who has received the  commission of captain and has been appointed an active major. Captain LOMAN is a brother of William LOMAN, athletic director of Hobart College, and his father  has been janitor at Hobart College for many years.
Captain LOMAN is an athlete and was one of the  leading athletes while a student at St. Francis De Sales and the Geneva high  schools, and after leaving school took up wrestling. On numerous occasions at carnivals and exhibitions he would bob up from the audience and take a fall out  of the champion wrestler, who would happen to be traveling with that particular  company. He was a member of Company B and went to the border. There he earned  the distinction of being one of the best soldiers in the command.
When Company B went into the National army Captain  LOMAN, who was married, was discharged on that account. After several attempts  to get  into the service he secured an appointment to the officers'  training camp at Fort Niagara. At Fort Niagara he also won the distinction of  being the most proficient in the bayonet exercise of any at the camp and was  instructor in that art. He was commissioned first lieutenant last December and was assigned to Camp Upton, where he was placed in command of the  127th Company as acting captain.  July last he was sent to New York city to  attend the training school of the United States army detachment. He was  recommended for a captaincy on July 5th.
Captain LOMAN was home on a brief furlough  recently. Captain LOMAN was on his way to Delaware, Ohio, where he is an  instructor at the Wesleyan University, in charge of 2,000 men. He will have full command and will rank as a major.

Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester,  NY      Wednesday,   Oct. 16, 1918                  by: GSubyak@aol.com


Geneva  - Oct 15 - The marriage of Miss Alois(?) D. HOSTER REED, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herman L. REED, of 120 Cherry street, to Arthur Barnett VOSBURG of Castle road, took place this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the home of the bride's parents, Rev. W. W. WELLER, former pastor of the first Presbyterian Church, officiated.
The bride was gowned in hand embroidered crepe de chine trimmed with fringe. She carried a bouquet of bride roses. Her attendant, Miss Mary A. KIME(?), of Rose Hill, wore a dress of white (???) And carried pink carnations. Charles SMITH, of Phelps, was best man.
Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served. The house was decorated with arborvitae and asparagus fern. Preceding the ceremony Mrs. Jane Bardet SERVINGHOUSE of Ithaca sang ‘O Promise Me.' At the top of an arch were the 
numerals 1885-1918, this being the thirty-third anniversary of the marriage of the bride's parents

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle    Tuesday         Dec 23, 1919              by:  Dianne Thomas


Letters of Administration Granted on Estate

Letters of Administration on the estate of Margaret F. NYHAN, who was shot and killed by her husband, Patrolman Timothy J. NYHAN, on the night of January 5, 1918, were issued to Margaret M. SEGRUE, a sister, yesterday afternoon in Surrogate's court.  She leaves an estate of $3,700. The following relatives are named in the papers: Cornelius F. DWYER, brother, of Minneapolis; Bridget McGUIRE, sister of Seneca Falls; Edward J. DWYER, brother of Syracuse; Thomas DWYER, brother of Ireland; Mary DWYER, sister of Ireland; Katherine DWYER, sister of Ireland; Margaret M. SUGRUE, sister of Rochester.

Geneva Daily Times                         Wednesday           Dec 31, 1919                       by:  Dianne Thomas 


Date of Death DEATHS IN 1918
Jan. 4th  Thomas Hawkins
Jan. 5th  John Francis VanHooft
Jan.7th   Michael Hogan
Jan, 10th  Mrs. Lewis Vickory
Jan.11th  Henry C. Long
Jan 12th  James B. Hillick
Jan. 12th  Mrs. Clarissa E. Lockwood
Jan. 15th  Mrs. Genevieve M. Covert
Jan. 19th  Mrs. Mildred Donnelly
Jan. 19th  Mrs. Sarah L. White
Jan. 31st  John Reddy  at Chicago
Feb. 5th   Dr. William J. Johnston
Feb. 6th   Miss Katherine M. Diviney
Feb. 6th   William Spenton
Feb. 8th   Jeremiah J. Kelleher
Feb. 11th  George C: McBlain
Feb. l1th  John Bonna
Feb 11th  Mrs. Anna Ritter
Feb. 14th  Miss  Mary Ludlow
Feb. I5th  William Dudley
Feb 17th  G. Wallace Holcomb
Feb. 18th  John J. Stengle
Feb. 10th  Mrs. Bridget Welsh
Feb 19th   A. B. Morrison
Feb. 2lst Mrs. Philip. Shelansky
Feb 23rd   Homer B Wright
Mar 2d Mrs. Esther Leona Linkner
Mar 6th   M. G, Fletcher
Mar 6th   John G. Catchpole
Mar 7th   Miss Anna A. Gaylord
Mar 7th   Mrs. Mary Curran
Mar 8th   Peter Skinner
Mar 9th    Mrs. Catherine Oldacre
Mar 11th  Miss Catharine Ivers
Mar 11th  Mrs. Anna J. Hankinson - at Willard
Mar 12th   Edward H. Condit
Mar 12th  John B. Avory
Mar 14th  Cornelius Mahoney
Mar 16th  Charles L. Currans
Mar 17th  Miss Cornelia J. Corcoran
Mar  I8th  Mrs.  H. S. Putnam
Mar 19th  Mrs. Catharine Fuller
Mar 19th  Aaron A. Allen
Mar 21st  Mrs. Sophia Parshall
Mar 21st  Maude J. Seyba
Mar 21st  Mrs. Euphemia C. Stebbins
Mar 22nd  Mrs. Isabel Kelley
Mar 25th  Richard N. Graves in Haiti   [date of word received]
Mar 25th  William H. Gardner
Mar 25th  Mrs. Verna  Hemiup Haley   at Versailles , NY
Mar 26th  Edward Higgins
Mar 26th  Mrs. Antonnia Ballsterri
Mar 26th   Samuel Dusinberry   at Detroit
Mar 27th   Mrs. Jennie S. Burton
Mar 29th   Charles Gray
Mar 30th   Douglas Cleggett
Apr   lst   Dewitt Byron Backentose
Apr   3rd  Marcus Mahoney
Apr   6th   Mrs. John B. Ford    at Pittsford
Apr   9th   Miss Margaret Sarah Page
Apr  12th  Edward C, Cuffman
Apr  14th  John Holtby
Apr 18th   John E. Hildreth
Apr  24th  Miss Jennie Fahy
Apr 26th   George Taylor
Apr 26th   William H. Sabin
Apr 28th   Wallace W. Page  
May 1st    Andrew Desmond
May 5th    Patrick H. Neary
May 8th    George H. Baker
May 8th    Mrs. Catherine Kelleher
May 11th   Miss Jennie C. Goodman
May 14th   Henry Higgins
May 16th   Miss Johanna Payne
May 16th   John Joseph
May 17th   Miss Mary O'Donnell
May 20th   August Linkner
May 22nd   Mrs. Marie Yost Brauer
May 23rd  Alexander Seeger
May 22nd   Mrs. Abbie Lynch
May 22nd   Mrs. Nancy Stephenson Pearson
May 24th   Edward M. Gay
May 30th   Mrs. Martha Lytle  
June 3rd Mrs. Louis  C. Isenman
June 4th   William O. Crego
June 5th   Mrs. H. S. Berlin
June 6th   Mrs. H. Elizabeth Bain
June 9th   P. H. Leahy - at Canandaigua
June 13th  Sidney S. Mallory
June 14th  John W. Mellen
June 18th  Herbert A. Doxsee
June 24th  Mrs. Bridget Kane
June 28th  Henry C. Stone  
July 2d     Miss Mary Elizabeth Durnin
July 2d     Mrs. Julia Long
July 7th    Mrs. Sarah Andrus
July 7th    Mrs. Phyllis Moaw Henson
July 8th    Dr. Charles D. McCarthy
July 14th  Mrs. Olive Clark Graves   at Rochester
July 16th  Mrs. Sarah Durkin Welch
July 17th  Mrs. Catharine A. Staats
July 19th  Aaron Tarr
July 23rd  William S. Steer in Cleveland
July 25th  Mrs. Anna Cummings Clyment
July 26th  Wesley C. Goetchius
July 25th  Carol Tompson  
Aug 2nd    Mrs. Agnes S. Maxwell
Aug 6th    Miss Eva M. Caple
Aug 7th    John Kelley
Aug 9th    Miss Rhoda Palmer
Aug 11th   Patrick J. Walsh
Aug 12th   Alonzo N. Carson
Aug 14th   Mrs. Anna Catherine Madsen
Aug 16th   Mrs. Ellen Burke
Aug 17th   Mrs. Samantha Stella Nellis [at Naples]
Aug I6th   John Sylvester Sellers
Aug 23rd   William Hindmarch
Aug 23rd   Susan Lapelle
Aug 24th   Miss Eleanor Caroline Black
Aug 25th   David Wilmot Creque
Aug 25th   Mrs. Lucretia  L. Dunn
Aug 25th   Charles T. Church
Aug 27th   Samuel McBlain
Aug 28th  Charles A. Lane
Aug 29th   Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Wooden
Aug 30th   George Allan Bryant
Aug 30th  Miss Jane A. McCarthy  
Sept 1st Tracy B. Morse
Sept 5th Miss Delia O. Noyes at Omaha , NB
Sept 8th Mrs. Bridget E. Corcoran
Sept 8th Mrs. Etta Annabel Ford
Sept 8th Leroy Shiels
Sept 10th Mrs. Rose Campbell
Sept 13th Claire M. Bedell, at Roanoke , VA
Sept 17th Fred Monroe Hill
Sept 20th Mrs. Milton G Henry
Sept 22nd Miss Margaret G. Reed
Sept 23rd John Williams
Sept 25th Frank W. Van Nostram
Sept 25th George W. Clise
October 3rd Mrs. Roswell T. Reynolds
October 4th Mrs.  William Snyder
October 5th Miss Carrie Dunnett
October 6th Mrs. Aseneth  Meeker Prosser
October 8th Miss Elouise Sill
October 8th Charles Klug
October 8th Sill Clark
October 10th Mrs. Christine E. Griffith
October 17th Charles A. Weaver
October 19th Hudson Gelder
October 20th Philip Norborne Nicholas
October 22nd William I. Bonnett
October 21st John Wiggin
October 23rd Theodore Gilbert Hubbard
October 23rd Miss Kate Devine
October 25th Mrs. Florence Hermans Cameron
October 27th Lodis A. Baker
October 29th Samuel O. Armstrong
November 8th Mrs. Julia M. Melious
November 9th William W. Cook
November 11th Mrs. Jeanette A. MacKay Malette
November 19th Mrs. Mary Tracey
November 19th Harvey Cas
November 19th Mrs. Eliza Viet
November 20th Mrs. Ella M. Smith at Rochester
December 3rd Edward F. Burke
December 4th Edward Hefferon
December 10th  Mrs. Harriet Hillhouse Cox
December 10th  Stephen Coursey
December 12th  Mrs. Emma Hickey
December 12th  John M. Skuse
December 14th Benjamin A. Dennison
December 15th  Mrs. Minnie Hauenstein Cooper
December 21st Mrs. Ella Clark at Clarens, Switzerland
December 22nd Durkin V. R. Johnston, at Albany
December 23rd Mrs. Margaret Manley
December 26th  Edwin Hart




Accidents, Casualties, Etc.

Jan. 22nd -  Thomas McLoughlin -  Injured by shotgun fired by a playmate, Charles Dilby.

April 10th  - Chief of Police, Daniel Kane severely injured by fall down stairs in City Hall.

April 16 th - Frederick Albro drowned in Brook's Pond, north of this city.

April 23rd - Leroy Youngs, telephone lineman, killed by contact with live wire.

May 31st - Martin Travers drowned in the Cayuga and Seneca Canal .

June 2nd - Five people, Stephen S. Freeborn, Mrs. Stephen Freeborn, Flody Freeborn of Geneva, Mrs. Myron H. Snyder of Gorham and Arthur M.

Thomas of Adams, NY, killed in grade crossing accident at McDougall.

June 4th - Carey A. Whitaker Killed by Pennsylvania Division train near Radiator corporation plant.

June 18th - Abraham Fields killed by high voltage electric current near local plant of Empire Gas and Electric Co.

September 11th -  Loretta Tarantelli shoots his wife, Mary Tarantelli and friend, Rocco Dianino;  Dianino died the following evening. Mary Tarantelli, recovered.

October 3rd - Henry J. Sullivan killed by fall from trestle in the yards of the Ontario Coal Company.

October 7th -Thomas Higgins killed and Police Captain Elmer Merry, Patrolman Aenos McDonald and Frank A. McCormlck injured when automobile turns turtle on Canandaigua turnpike near Flint.

October 15th - John W. McCarthy electrocuted by high potential wire on Lewis street.

November 19th - James E. Brown and Uldrico Zega killed when automobile of T. H. Chew hit truck of Geneva Preserving Company on Canandaigua turnpike near Bean's Hill.

November 28th - David S. Prosser injured when the Fairfax Bros, delivery car was struck by a train near Clifton Springs.

Dec 12th - Jeremiah McCarthy, conductor on Pennsylvania Division, killed by falling down the cellar stairs at his home in Corning.

Dec. 12th - Charles Probasco, killed by falling down elevator shaft in Rochester.

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2001 - 2016

[NY History and Genealogy]