Newspaper Gleanings from a Tree Trunk

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor. 
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

A collection of Newspaper articles & information collected by

Robert Ronald Hanley Sr.

 

Return to Home Page          Return to Tree Trunk Index        Return to News Index Page

 CHAMBERS 

Abraham Hibbard2 Chambers  was born Troy, New York Rensselear County July 21, 1801.  Abraham died July 21, 1881 North Bloomfield, New York Ontario County, at 80 years of age. 

                  Ontario County Journal, July 29, 1881

CHAMBERS -   Abraham Chambers died last Thursday, on the eightieth anniversary of his birthday. He was prostrated by the heat a couple of weeks ago, from the effects of which he was unable to rally. He had lived here and in the vicinity for many years.

       ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES  Friday July 29, 1881  PAGE  3  COL 

Abraham Chambers died last Thursday on the 80th anniversary of his birthday. He was prostrated by the heat a couple of weeks ago, from the effects of which he was unable to rally. He had lived here and in this vicinity for many years.

          He married Sybil Bushnell December 09, 1823.  Sybil was born Hanover, Conn. July 15, 1805.  Sybil was the daughter of Tracy Bushnell and Betsy Kingsly.  Sybil died March 06, 1894 North Bloomfield, New York, at 88 years of age  

Ellen M. Chambers  was born August 14, 1832.  Ellen died March 19, 1897 North Bloomfield, New York, at 64 years of age. 

             DEMOCRAT  and  CHRONICLE November 22, 1897   PAGE  4

 MONROE -    The remains of Miss Ella Chambers who died on Friday in Victor, were brought to the residence of her brother, Charles Chambers, in North Bloomfield, Saturday, and the funeral was held at the Universalist Church, yesterday afternoon, Rev. G A Firgan officiating.  Miss Chambers leaves a sister, Mrs. Robert Wiggins, of N. Bloomfield, and a brother, Joseph Chambers, of  Leroy.

Charles Smith3 Chambers  was born Victor, New York December 14, 1847.  Charles died December 16, 1940 North Bloomfield, New York, at 93 years of age. 

      ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL December 20, 1940  PAGE  1 COL  2

                     CIVIL WAR VETERAN DIES AT AGE OF 93

Charles Chambers, naval veteran of the Civil War and last remaining member of the G.A.R. forces in the Honeoye Falls area, died Monday afternoon, in his home on N. Bloomfield after an illness of several days. He was 93 Saturday.

Born in Victor, December 14, 1847, he moved to Honeoye Falls at the age of 12 years where he attended public school and worked in a general store in North Bloomfield. At the age of 16 he slipped away from his home, walked eight miles to Fishers, boarded a train for New York and on July 18, 1864, enlisted in the Navy. He was in the blockade off Fort Fisher for five months, and as powder boy, participated in the capture of the fort on Christmas Eve, 1864. Following hostilities he served two years on the sloops of war Susquehanna and Rhode Island, cruising along the Atlantic seaboard. On July 2, 1867, he received his discharge. In 1869 he went to California over the first trans continental railroad, and worked for an organization which constructed the Central Pacific Railroad between San Francisco and Sacramento.

He returned to North Bloomfield in 1878, where he married Genevieve Ideson, who died a year ago.  For 20 years he served as postmaster of North Bloomfield, and for 26 years conducted the general store there.  He served as a post commander of Lewis Gates Post, G.A.R., and a charter member. He was a member of the former Universalist church of North Bloomfield. 

Surviving are two sons, Horace and Joseph, and a daughter, Mrs. William Carmichael, all of North Bloomfield, and a sister, Mrs. Don Braisie, of Flint, Mich, also six grandchildren and a great grandchild. His body was interred December 19, 1940 North Bloomfield, New York, N. Bloomfield Cemetery.   [i]. Death Record found at Lima, Town Hall, registration No. 9. Informant was Marian Carmichael, his daughter.

         He married Genevieve Ideson 1878. Genevieve was born Bloomfield, New York September 09, 1856.  Genevieve was the daughter of John Ideson and Sarah Moon .  Genevieve died November 21, 1939 North Bloomfield, New York, at 83 years of age.[ii]  [ii]. Death Record found at Lima, NY Town Hall, registration NO. 12. Informant was Marian Carmichael.

             VICTOR  HERALD Friday November 24, 1939  PAGE  4  Col  3

OBITUARY -   Mrs. Genevieve Ideson Chambers, wife of Charles S. Chambers, died in her home in North Bloomfield, November 21, 1939, aged 83 years. 

 Besides her husband, a Civil War veteran nearly 92 years old, she is survived by two daughters, two sons, a sister, six grandchildren, and a niece. Mr Chambers is a relative of Miss Estella VanDenbergh and Ray C. VanDenbergh of Victor. Funeral services took place from the home this Friday afternoon.

           ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES, Wed. April 4, 1877, page 3, Col 7,

North Bloomfield Items -  I forgot to mention in my previous communications to the Times, the return home to this place of Charley Chambers, the youngest son of Abraham Chambers, Esq.. Charles has been absent since the fall of 1868. He has traveled extensively in the far Western states and territories, but he has sojourned mainly in California. He received a cordial greeting from numerous relatives and friends, and he richly deserves it, for he is one of the best boys.

 During the Civil War Charles served in the Navy under Rear Admiral Porter. 4-25 December 1864.   A joint Army-Navy operation under Rear Admiral Porter and Major General B. F. Butler unsuccessfully attempted to take the Confederate stronghold of Fort Fisher,  Wilmington, by amphibious assault.

                    SOME SIGNIFICANT EVENTS OF 1865    13-15 January

The joint amphibious assault under Rear Admiral David D. Porter and Major General Alfred H. Terry took Fort Fisher, the key in the defense of Wilmington, North Carolina, which was the last port by which supplies from Europe could reach General Lee's troops at Richmond.

        THE  VICTOR  HERALD  August 2, 1912  PAGE  8  COL  1

IONIA  ROAD -   Mr. and Mrs. Charles Chambers of North Bloomfield attended the 3rd annual reunion and outing of the Monroe County Civil War Veterans Association at Seneca Park, Rochester, on Saturday.  They report a very pleasant time.  The exhibition of the Women's Relief Corps and other organizations of the ladies were especially enjoyed.  About 600 veterans were present.

Charles Smith Chambers and Genevieve Ideson  had the following children:

Marian Alberta4 Chambers was born North Bloomfield, New York January 17, 1879.  She married William B. Carmichael North Bloomfield, New York, July 08, 1925. 

                William was born in Rome, New York 1864.  William died May 02, 1949 North Bloomfield, New York, at 84 years of age.

William B. Carmichael, North Bloomfield, 85, a former traveling representative for a national soap manufacturing company, died of a heart attack yesterday, May 2, 1949 in his home. Mr. Carmichael was born in his home.

Twenty four years ago he married the Miss Marion Chambers of North Bloomfield, a member of a pioneer family. For a number of years the couple lived in Iowa and Minnesota where Mr. Carmichael was associated with hotels. He retired 14 years ago and he and his wife returned to N. Bloomfield. He was a member of the Masons. Besides his wife he is survived by several nieces and nephews. Following their marriage they moved to Ellertsville, Iowa for three years, and then to Austin, Minnesota for three years.

 

Edwin H.4 Chambers  was born December 17, 1860.  Edwin died 1950 North Bloomfield, New York, at 89 years of age.  He married Charlotte E. Hunt Bloomfield, New York, June 15, 1886. 

      ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Friday July 2, 1886

                       CHAMBERS   -    HUNT

At the rectory of St. James church June 15, 1886 by the Rev. James H. Dennis, Edwin H. Chambers to Charlotte E. Hunt, both of North Bloomfield, NY.

Horace Frederick4 Chambers  was born Bloomfield, New York September 11, 1880.  Found birth record in Lima Town Clerk office. Horace died November 30, 1974 North Bloomfield, New York, at 94 years of age.

                              Horace Chambers, North Bloomfield, Honeoye Falls

Horace Chambers of Ideson Road, November 30, 1974. Survived by two daughters, Mrs. Thomas Sybil C. Hally, and Elinor Chambers, both of Honeoye Falls, one granddaughter, Johanna O'Brien, one great granddaughter, Pamela O'Brien, both of Honeoye Falls, one sister, Genevieve Brasie of Key Biscayne, Florida.

                     He married Anna Ethel Coffee Gorham, New York, May 18, 1904.[iii] [iii]. Ontario County Archives listing Gorham marriages shows certificate number 229 date June 1, 1904.

        ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Fri June 3, 1904

                 MARRIED      CHAMBERS  - COFFEE

  At Gorham, May 18, 1904, Horace Fredric Chambers of North Bloomfield, and Miss Anna Ethel Coffee, of Gorham.

Elinor Chambers was born November 27, 1910. Elinor died February 27, 1995 North Bloomfield, New York, at 84 years of age. She married twice. 

         She married 1st  Ventnor Williams March 10, 1936. Ventnor was born February 05, 1903.  Ventnor died April 1973 Los Angeles, California, at 70 years of age .  She married  2nd  Fritz Aebischer Rochester, New York, November 16, 1945.  

 ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL Fri. November 30, 1945

                         AEBISCHER - CHAMBERS

Announcement is made of the marriage of Miss Elinor Chambers, Rochester artist, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace F.  Chambers, Honeoye Falls, to Capt. Fritz Aebischer, USAAF, of Huntington, LI. The wedding was solemnized, November 16, in the First Presbyterian church, by the Rev. Murray A. Cayley, pastor. Attendants were Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Hally, of  Rochester. Capt. and Mrs. Aebischer will live in Montgomery, Alabama, where he is stationed at Maxwell Field as assistant personnel service officer. He recently returned from combat service in Europe. Prior to the war he was instructor of  instrumental music at Canandaigua Academy.

Elvira E. Chambers was born North Bloomfield, New York May 28, 1841.  Elvira died July 05, 1928 Victor, New York, at 87 years of age.

      ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES  Wed. July 18, 1928

                   DEATH  -   VANDENBERGH 

  At Victor, July 5, 1928, Mrs. Elvira E. VanDenbergh, aged 87 years. Her body was interred Victor, New York, Victor Village Cemetery.    

                     She married John Wyman VanDenbergh September 21, 1859. John was born Farmington, New York September 21, 1837.  John was the son of Peter VanDenbergh and Jennett Fonda .  John died June 01, 1916 Victor, New York, at 78 years of age. 

                        VICTOR  Ontario County, NY June 2, 1916

                    OBITUARY  -   VanDenbergh

John Wyman VanDenbergh, born in the town of Farmington, September 21, 1837, died at his home in the village of Victor, on Thursday, June 1, 1916, at 9 15 AM.   To the hearts of the many, many nephews and nieces of Uncle John, this simple announcement will bring a very real sorrow and a deep sense of personal loss. 

 A man of strong opinions and deep seated convictions to which he gave expression in no uncertain tones, he concealed beneath a rugged exterior a tender heart, full of sympathy for the misfortunes of his fellows and alive with the desire to aid them with every resource at his command.   An indefatigable reader and close observer, his mind was stored with much valuable information. He spent much time in the accumulation  of data concerning the men and events of Victor's early days, and his collection of local historical records is an extremely valuable one.

He was the author of "The History of Victor", published in the Victor Herald, a few years since, and from his great fund of knowledge concerning the town was drawn the material for most of the historical articles which have appeared in this and other newspapers. A man of many trades was "Uncle John", and it was his delight to serve ass "handy man" for his neighbors and friends.  In very many cases he worked for them without compensation or the desire for it if he felt they were unable to pay.  The Victor Herald, as an institution, owes him a debt beyond payment. 

Born, it would seem, with a gift for newspaper work, his interest in the local paper was unflagging, and he gave unsparingly of his time and thought for its up-building and secure establishment. He was associated with the Ontario County Times, for many years, as a correspondent in the days when to convey late information to the newspaper office meant a trip to the County Seat, and later as a traveling representative.  In the latter capacity he contributed to its columns many valuable sketches of prominent citizens and interesting historical reminiscences, 

John Wyman VanDenbergh was the son of Peter and Jennie Fonda VanDenbergh, the youngest of a family of seven children.  He was born in the town of Farmington, and until 1886, with the exception of five years, lived in Mendon, his home was upon the farm where he was born. On September 21, 1859, Mr. VanDenbergh married Elvira Chambers of Mendon.

In 1886, Mr. and Mrs. VanDenbergh moved to this village, and, except for three years, their home has been in the house at the junction of West Main Street, Cedar and High Streets, in which he died. Mr. VanDenbergh was a member of the Presbyterian Church in this village and a regular attendant upon its services until physical disability made it impossible.

He was greatly interested in public affairs, and was always found upon the side of progress and improvement.  For several years he served upon the health board of the village. During the last two years he had grown more and more feeble, being afflicted with a distressing chronic trouble, but he bore up under it with characteristic courage and stoicism, and was confined to his bed for but a few days.

Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. VanDenbergh, M. Estella, Raymond C., and Blanche E. The latter died in infancy. Surviving  members of the family are the devoted wife and mother, the daughter and son, and three grandchildren, John Raymond, Estella Meryl, and Karl Nathan VanDenbergh. Interment in the Village Cemetery. 

Grant Chambers and Mary Belden had the following child:

June Priscilla2 Chambers  was born Geneva, New York June 16, 1915.  June died March 27, 2000 Bath, New York, at 84 years of age.  Her body was interred 2000 Bristol, New York, Andrews Cemetery.  She married Melvin Charles Nott Rochester, New York, August 18, 1933.

  ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL Friday July 13, 1934

            WEDDING    BELLS -       NOTT - CHAMBERS   

At Rochester, August 18, 1933, Melvin Nott and June Priscilla Chambers, both of Canandaigua.

                     Melvin was born Canandaigua, New York November 16, 1910. 

   ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES  Nov. 23, 1910  PAGE  3  COL  4

                    BORN   -   NOTT

At Canandaigua, November 16, 1910, to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nott, West Lake Rd, a son. Melvin is the son of Charles Frances Nott and Minerva Hannah Pierce. 

 June became the mother of Sarah Jane Nott  & Charles Edward Nott .

     ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL

HOPEWELL -  Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Nott and children, and mother Mrs. Mary Chambers of Freshour Road, have moved to Cheshire to the Violas Place. 

Joseph3 Chambers  was born in Herkimer, New York November 01, 1824.  Joseph died November 08, 1921 North Bloomfield, New York, at 97 years of age.

                    ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL November 11, 1921 Front Page

CHAMBERS  Joseph Chambers, a well known merchant, died within three years of the century mark, at the home of his brother, Charles Chambers in North Bloomfield on Tuesday.

Mr. Chambers was born in Herkimer on November 1, 1824, and came with his parents to Victor when a boy of 10 years. In the spring of 1845, he started his career as a clerk for T. H. Holden in the village of Mendon. Five years later he married the daughter of Cyrus Webster and took his bride to Cartersville, where he opened a grocery and feed store and boarding house while the great break in the Erie Canal was being repaired.

In 1852 he bought the store in North Bloomfield located near the Four Corners where he lost his store and most of his stock by fire. Two years later he went to Lima, opened a new store, and for 29 years was the leading merchant in Livingston County. In 1888 he sold the business to the Beadle Brothers who still operate it.

He purchased the Gould block and grocery in West Avenue, Rochester, and several years later he exchanged it for a store in Leroy. In 1901 he sold his property and gave up active business at the age of 77 years. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers resided with their daughter Mrs. Don Ward, Honeoye, until the death of Mrs. Chambers in 1916, since which time Mr. Chambers has been with his brother at North Bloomfield. They had no children of their own but completed a happy family by adopting a son and daughter. Early in life Mr. Chambers joined the Odd Fellows, and was made a Mason in Union Lodge F and A. M. at Lima many years ago. 

He leaves his brother, Charles Chambers, of North Bloomfield, and a sister, Mrs. Elvira VanDenbergh of Victor. The funeral services were held at the home of his brother yesterday .

                 He married Sarah Ann Webster June 18, 1850. Sarah was born Mendon, New York November 06, 1828.  Sarah was the daughter of Cyrus Webster and Polly B. Styles .  Sarah died November 24, 1916 Honeoye Falls, New York, at 88 years of age.[i]  [i]. Death Record at Lima Town Hall, Registration No. 12.The record shows born Nov 6 1828, Mendon, Died Nov 24, 1916, Father Cyrus Webster, Mother Polly Styles, both of NY, and Burial at W. Bloomfield.

               VICTOR  HERALD   December 1, 1916 

 Mrs. Sarah A. Chambers, wife of Joseph Chambers, died Saturday in her home at Honeoye Falls. She was 88 years of age and was born in Mendon, November 6, 1828.

In June 1850 she was married to Mr. Chambers, who for many years was a prosperous merchant in North Bloomfield, Lima, Scottsville, and Leroy. They returned to Honeoye Falls to live six years ago. For forty years she had been a member of the Universalist church in North Bloomfield. 

Besides her husband she leaves two sisters, Mrs. Mason Eckler of Mendon, and Mrs. Robert Johnson of Trumansburg, and a niece, Mrs. D. Ward of Honeoye Falls. Mrs. John W. VanDenbergh of this village is a sister of Mr. Chambers.

The funeral of Mrs. Chambers was held in North Bloomfield on Monday and interment was made in the N. Bloomfield cemetery. 

Horace3 Chambers  was born in Madison County, New York April 02, 1830.  Horace died June 29, 1874 North Bloomfield, New York, at 44 years of age.

       ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL Fri. July 3, 1874  PAGE  3  COL  6

HONEOYE FALLS   Death of Horace Chambers, Resolutions to the Master, Warden and Brethren of Union Star Lodge No. 320, F and A M Honeoye Falls, NY.  Scarcely has the dark veil of mourning been lifted from our Masonic lights, ere, by the hand of death, we are called upon again to thus alike over shadow them. At this time not for an aged and venerable brother, but for one in the prime of life and full of vigor of his manhood. Surely our lives are as a tale that is told, surely death loves a shining mark, a signal blow, which while it executes alarms. Therefore resolved that in the sudden death of our brother, Horace Chambers, we, the hand of that providence who doeth all things.

Horace Chambers was born in Madison County, NY, and was about 44 years of age at his death. He was brother to Joseph Chambers, of Lima, and W. R. Chambers, of N. Bloomfield. Mr. Chambers was known throughout this section, having been engaged for some years  in the mercantile business both in Honeoye Falls and in N. Bloomfield. During the last few years he made 3 or 4 trips to California.

Two weeks before his death he took a severe cold, which was followed by an attack of erysipelas. Everything which care and skill could suggest was done, but without avail. He died 9 O'clock Monday last. Mr. Chambers was a man of unbending integrity, a man whose word was absolute truth. He had a very extended circle of friends, not only in the fraternity, of which he was a highly respected member, but in the community generally. The funeral was attended from the Universalist Church, N. Bloomfield. Services were conducted by Rev. L. C. Brown. A large number of members of the Masonic fraternity were in attendance. He was buried with the usual impressive services of the fraternity.

He leaves a wife, daughter of A. H. Fairchild, of N. Bloomfield, and one child. Mr. Chambers served the last nine months of the war in the N Y Engineer Corps.

                      He married Emily H. Fairchild September 16, 1859  Emily was born Honeoye Falls, New York November 01, 1839.  Emily was the daughter of Andrew H. Fairchild and Cornelia .  Emily died September 04, 1915 Honeoye Falls, New York, at 75 years of age.

Death of Emily H. Chambers -   Old and well Loved Resident, Honeoye Falls, September 5. Mrs. Emily H. Chambers, a highly respected resident, died at her home in this village yesterday afternoon after a long illness.

Mrs. Chambers was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Andrew H. Fairchild, and was born November 01, 1839. Nearly all her life was spent in this vicinity, where she was well known and loved by all who knew her. She was a member of St. John's Episcopal church and Union Start Chapter 328.

            NORTH BLOOMFIED (or SMITHTOWN, as it was originally known)

There does not seem to be an authentic history of just who the first settlers of this little hamlet were, and all we have is what has been passed down to us by word of mouth. Dates of papers belonging to Mr. W. R. Hunt and R. M. Gates published in 1877 do not always agree. Perhaps the most interesting things are the many different industries that took form in such a short space of time. The old houses that were built and some of which still stand. The skill of the pioneer people who used the crude tools of their day, many of those are relics and are stored in attics of these old homes.

Waterpower was important and here they found it with a diversity of soil. A variety of timbers where a business center might be started. The water power was important in those days to turn the mill wheels and run the looms as each family had to provide for nearly all their own needs. So we find that the first business adventures were saw mills, grist mills, 2 taverns, and a small store, with foot paths and last of all roads. The saw mill was built on the East side of the creek by Samuel Miller in 1795, and purchased four years later by Daniel Gates and brothers. It was near the Lloyd property now owned by Avery Lusk. No doubt the mill sawed the lumber for buildings of the first homes. 

Around the corner where John Harrison house now stands was the first tavern. Built and conducted for many years by Robert Huntington. Outside was a sign, Man and Beast baited. Later this tavern was rebuilt and conducted by Mason Huntington. In the winter the attractive feature was the huge fireplaces with burning logs at the East end of the room with a cover used as a bench where seats could be had. The rest of the furniture was composed of 3 or 4 chairs. The chairs were not always the same, the new ones were often needed to replace those that were smashed. Evidently there was often a full house and people were likewise.

In cold winter weather the warming up fluid was plentiful and cheap, three cents a glass for the best drinks and the same price for cigars, but as Mr. Hunt writes, taverns were most important in those days as houses where few and far between. Across the road and a little below this building was another house built for a hotel. The structure may still be seen although is rapidly disintegrating.

Mr. Alexander Martin bought it for a home at an early date and his son, Amassa were born there. The first Universalist meeting was held at his home. Later about 1826, Mr. Martin built the home recently burned where his great grandson Richard Martin now lives. In the old days Mr. Martin ran a machine shop and foundry, manufacturing implements for farmers that were then much in demand, among them fanning mills and plows, but in later years, he engaged in extensive farming. Reuben Pierce then purchased the original hotel. He was a woodworker and turner by trade and among the articles he shaped was a bobbin once used by millions of woolen and cotton mills.

He died in 1857 leaving Mrs. Pierce and a family of 10 children, and a pension of $12 a month. She carried on alone in the old house and lived to the age of 102. Her grandfather was an elder brother of John Hancock, the first Governor of Conn., and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Across the road was the Lloyd place and property.

The house built in 1820 is still standing and is in good condition. For many years Eunice Lloyd, a daughter who lived to be well over 90 years occupied it. In this house was the long kitchen with huge fireplaces filled with logs and wood, the big crane upon which hung huge kettles, a long home made table left bare unless company was expected. The pewter platter piled high with boiled beef, pork beets and cabbage, turnips, the short cake baked in a spider before their open fire, spread thick with fresh home made butter, and sweetened with Maple syrup, steaming corn bread and Indian pudding, all eaten with steel knives and forks.

Food was plentiful at this house and there was little worry about balanced meals in those days. Miss Lloyd in her early days was a schoolteacher. She often told of her experience at the outbreak of the Civil War, for she was teaching in the South and she sometimes had trouble getting home and her fear that it might be discovered that she was from the North. In this part of the town small business places sprung up like mushrooms. There seemed no end to the different things that were made both on the east and west side of the creek.

On the Lloyd property, there was a tannery for many years where farmers brought their hides to be cured and tanned for the making of shoes. It took nearly a year to complete the operation. Later the shoemaker would come to the home and make shoes for the whole family. Ed Croft's father followed that trade. He had a home along Martin Road and like all Englishmen, he loved his box hedge and flowers. He and his wife spent many hours working on them. When he made shoes, they were made to last. It has been said that his shoes were passed from one of the family to the other and even if it meant toes turned under, the growing children must wear them out.

The old Croft home was burned some thirty years ago. It had been built with hand forged nails as were many of the old houses. Still on the east side of the stream about 1837, a man named Beard had a little shop for shaping felt. The material was placed on the table and with a long slender stick beaten for hours when a large sheet of felt would be produced which was shaped into hats, then sold to finishers. Later brown dishes, tureens were all made on the pottery wheel by hand. It is said that the finish on the dishes was excellent.

  Horace Chambers has a piece of this ware. In 1826 W. Sanford built what was afterwards known as Stillman's saw mill, but Mr. Sanford used it to prepare curled maple for chairs which he sold to a NY market. Later with partners he manufactured chairs to a considerable degree. Then Cummins and Buckley carried on. There seemed to be no end to the cooper shops, barrels were made by the thousands, there were cider mills and at one time three distilleries, one near the Gates farm and Mrs. Clair Martin told that there was one on her grandfather's farm.

The Cummins property now owned by Leonard Menz. The Cummins were first settlers, later becoming successful farmers, as did so many of the pioneer people. Building fine homes and in old paper found in the back of a looking glass bought at an auction, there was recorded that 35, 000 barrels of cider were made that year. No doubt the distilleries and cider mills furnished cheer and good will for many. There were no liquor or labor laws in those days, a day's work meant 12 hours of hard labor and perhaps a snifter now and then, or a night cap eased aching muscles. Across from the present school, was a small school.

There were two other early schools. One a log house on the Martin farm, and another up near the Gates farm, all of which burned down. Next in line was a cooper shop which also burned, then a store where anything from a clock to a coffin was sold. The residence is now owned by the Glick family, once a summer home of Dr. Bennet's widow, was at one time an ashery where potash and perlash were made, perlash being a refined potash. A Baptist church was built on this site and flourished for a time, one feature being a singing school held here for the young people of the town. It was before the days of the cottage organ when the tuning fork was the only instrument. One teacher owned a small reed organ which he held on his lap and played similar to one now owned by Fannie Yorks.

Below on the flat was a brickyard and here the bricks were made to build the First Universalist Church, now the present school. It was a fine example of early architecture and was built somewhere about 1826. We wonder with the centralized school system what will become of the old landmark that has served the community so long as a church a social gathering and a school. As many as four generations of the first settlers have passed through its doors. Modern methods and good teachers have always been its goal. At one time astronomy and higher mathematics were taught in the upper room, planets were hung from the ceiling and changed as the phases changed.

The Martins, the Fairchilds, the Hunts, and others made possible the band and orchestra. Here my father was principal for many years. For those who live in the town, there will be regret and sadness when the bell rings for the last time, but time marches on, and we must go along. There seems to have always been an upper and lower store on Ontario Street side. Harrison Fairchilds ran the first upper store and mail was left there. Opposite this was a wagon shop managed by Sidney Huntington.

The first custom flour miller, recently torn down is alleged to have been one hundred and forty eight years old. On the west end of the mill was a fueling mill and carding shop in the charge of Mansfield Hunt. People brought their wool to be carded into rolls, these were taken home to be made into yarn on the old spinning wheel, then woven into cloth on the hand loom, returned to the fueling mill to be filled and finished. The goods did not make a handsome suit but it had its lasting virtues.

Mr. Hunt told that the suits were home made and as economy also was a virtue when pants got thin on the knees, they were cut off and turned part way round and sewed back on. What was left of the cloth was made into caps. Mr. Tracy bought the gristmill and property at an early date. He also purchased the building next to it that had run as a store by many different people. One finds the names of Holden, Holden and Martin, J. C. Chambers,  H. Chambers, Holden and Perry, Oscar Huntington and others. Mr. Tracy made the store into a swelling place and rebuilt the mill. Mr. Amos Lotee worked for him as a young man. Later Mr. Lotee bought the property. He was there for many years, then came the Fergusons. Today it is the Durkee residence.

Mr. Lotee also built the lower mill after the large mill run by Oscar Huntington burned down. Today all that remains is the foundation. The same is true of the sawmill and woolen mill run by the Hunt brothers. This section was alive of industry but very likely due to no fire protection destroyed by fire. Within one half mile there were six dams and eight water powers. On the West side was a custom mill run by different ones, the last one was Tommy Haeter. The older men and small boys in the town used to do things to annoy him and causing him to take potshots at them occasionally.

 Today the daughter of Horace Chambers uses that mill as an art studio. Kernels of wheat or grain still lurk in unexpected places and there is a candleholder used by Miller Haeter for inspection at night to see that everything was in order. The cider mill is near by and was run by the grandfather of Horace Chambers. This property belongs to the Robert Millers who have made it into a house.

The oldest house in town is the one next to the George Tyler home. Built in 1792 and completed in 1799. It was the Charles Hopkins place at one time. The Alfred Gates home was built the following year and was in the Gates family until a few years ago. Curtis Gates built the house now owned by the Tyler's and also the Armer house on Bean Hill once owned by Barlow Wiggins and the Ingraham place owned many years by Andrew Fairchilds, a millwright and early settler, the Fuller house, once the Robert Wiggins home.

Several houses on that road have passed the century mark. On the upper end of Ideson Road is the Luetty place, next the Sackett house owned by Mansfield Hunt, a father of the Hunt Brothers. There were six boys and two girls in the family.

Then came the Ideson place now owned by Horace Chambers family. All are a hundred years old or more. The first burial in the little town cemetery was in 1804. The child of Marvin and Rachel Gates, the head stone reads this, I am the first come here to lie, young children all prepare to die. It was at this time that the Gates family gave the land to the cemetery. Here are laid to rest so many of the early settlers and their families, together with the honored dead of five wars.

Mention should be made here of the Fourier Society, which was organized in 1840. It was socialist in plan, the brainchild of a Frenchman by the name of Fourier. The plan was adopted in America and given a trial in various states. Considerable property was bought here. A house, now gone was to be used as the bakeshop and dining room, located next door to what is now the Shepard home. The latter is part of the edifice as it was called and this housed a number of the families. The building was shaped like the letter Z. It flourished for several years, but gradually gave up. The front part of the house had been owned by the Hunts and Shepards for many years. The remaining parts were moved to other locations, Mr. Silman, Dr. Wyte, and Mr. Ideson bought nearly all the property when the society dissolved and divided it among those who were left in the society.

Later industries can be remembered, the paper mill run by the Neal Brothers, a woolen factory built by Mr. Ideson and managed by the Hunt Brothers. There was the W. P. Davis machine shop, a going concern for many years, later moving to Rochester. This was, and still is a good town in which to live, unfortunately the city dried up the stream that had always added beauty to North Bloomfield. Much of the above material came from Horace Chambers of North Bloomfield.

My gratitude goes out to Marilyn Zaludny of Lima, for allowing me the opportunity to see this history. 

                     

 Sarah Jane Chambers was born Victor, New York August 09, 1843.  Sarah died April 03, 1915 North Bloomfield, New York, at 71 years of age.  Services held at the home of her brother Charles in N. Bloomfield.   The Ontario County Journal stated she died in Rochester, New York.

                        VICTOR HERALD  April 9, 1915 PAGE  1  COL  3

WIGGINS -   The death of Mrs. Sarah J. Chambers Wiggins occurred Saturday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred McMullen, in Rochester. Mrs. Wiggins was born in Victor, 1844. 

  She married Robert Wiggins and they have resided in W. Bloomfield where they conducted a hotel, and in N. Bloomfield. A few years ago they moved to Rochester where they have since lived with their daughter.

  Survivors are the husband and daughter, a sister, Mrs. John W. VanDenbergh of Victor, two brothers, Charles Chambers of N. Bloomfield, and Joseph Chambers of Honeoye Falls. Services held at Charles Chambers house in N. Bloomfield and interment in N. Bloomfield.

                         Mrs. Sarah Jane Wiggins

Mrs. Sarah Jane Wiggins, wife of Robert Wiggins, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Louise McMullen, of Rochester, last Saturday morning at the age of 71 years. Mrs. Wiggins whose maiden name was Chambers, was married 53 years ago to Mr. Wiggins, also of this town, and until 4 years ago when she went to Rochester to live with her daughter, had always lived in this village.

 Mrs. Wiggins who by her kindly ways had endeared herself to all with whom she came in contact is survived besides her husband and daughter, by one sister, Mrs. John VanDenbergh and two brothers, Charles Chambers of this village, and Joseph Chambers of Honeoye Falls.

 The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon. Burial in the local cemetery. Her body was interred 1915 North Bloomfield, New York, N. Bloomfield Cemetery. 

Sybil5 Chambers  was born May 21, 1905.  Sybil died December 13, 1994 Mendon, New York, at 89 years of age. 

              DEMOCRAT  and  CHRONICLE December 14, 1994

     SYBIL  C. HALLY 

MENDON December 13, 1994, Sybil C. Hally, predeceased by her husband, Thomas J. Hally.  She is survived by her daughter, Johanna O'Brien of Mendon, a granddaughter, Pamela Jo O'Brien of NYC, one sister, Elinor Chambers of Mendon, one niece, nephew and cousins.

Sybil was retired from the Rochester City Schools, 37 and 52.  Funeral services held at the convenience of the family.  Interment St. Paul of the Cross Cemetery, Honeoye Falls, NY. 

  

William R.3 Chambers  was born June 23, 1836.  William died April 24, 1904 Willard, New York, at 67 years of age.

             ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Friday February 26, 1904  PAGE 3 COL 6

CHAMBERS At Willard, February 24, 1904, William R. Chambers. Interred at North Bloomfield. His body was interred 1904 North Bloomfield, New York, N. Bloomfield Cemetery.  Picture of grave taken. Funeral was held at the home of his brother Charles S. Chambers at N. Bloomfield, NY.

He married Catherine M. Gates.  Catherine was born Scottsville, New York 1834.  Catherine died February 07, 1907 North Bloomfield, New York, at 72 years of age.

                   ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Sept. 3, 1880  Page  3  Col  4

On Monday William R. Chambers, a well known character in and around the town of W. Bloomfield, assaulted officer Homer Webb, of that town, with a deadly weapon which he constructed by filling a junk bottle with pieces of small rope and then enclosing it in a small flour sack. He struck Webb with his infernal machine, inflicting an ugly wound on the side of his head, and he was taken in custody by the officer and brought to this village, and is now here in jail awaiting a disposal of his case, further proceedings in the matter having been postponed until week after next. 

It appears that Chambers residence is in Livingston County,  and  the authorities here naturally object to providing for his safe keeping at Ontario's expense. He has been on one of his periodical "spells" of craziness for several weeks past, and has threatened to kill other parties besides Mr. Webb.

William R. Chambers and Catherine M. Gates  had the following children:

 Ida L. Chambers   was born Lima, New York March 08, 1867.  Ida died June 12, 1959 Rochester, New York, at 92 years of age.

    Ida L. Chambers Laid To Rest Here

Miss Ida L. Chambers, a descendant of two of the oldest and most prominent families in North Bloomfield, the Chambers and the Gates relationships, passed away at Highland Hospital in Rochester on Friday of last week, June 12th, 1959. She was 93 years of age. Miss Chambers had lived in the Presbyterian Home on Thurston Rd. for fifteen years and was quite well until recently when failing health necessitated hospital care for two weeks.

The deceased rested at the Merton H. Kays Funeral Home until Sunday when a service was held by the Rev. William H. Young from Scottsville. The venerable lady was laid to rest in North Bloomfield Cemetery where many of her ancestors are interred. The paternal grandfather, Abram Chambers, settled in the community long ago, and her father and mother, William and Catherine Gates Chambers, continued in the home neighborhood where she was born.

Altanna Gates established the family line on the distaff side of her lineage, and dignified tomb stones mark many of their graves near the spot where Miss Chambers now rests. The early part of her life was spent in N. Bloomfield and she was early associated with Charles Chambers when he ran a store where Edwin Tenney now conducts business. Later she moved to Scottsville to engage in a similar enterprise with a relative. As a new interest she took charge of the Scottsville Public Library for a quarter of a century. 

  

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for
profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2003 - 2010

[NY History and Genealogy]                                                                                          [ALHN]