Newspaper Gleanings from a Tree Trunk

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy! 
If you would like to link Ontario County data to this site please contact me. Copyright resides with the contributor. 
If you would like to submit data to this site please contact  Dianne Thomas. 

A collection of Newspaper articles & information collected by

Robert Ronald Hanley Sr.


Return to Home Page          Return to Tree Trunk Index        Return to News Index Page


Erastus1 Edgett was born 1835.  Erastus died September 27, 1901 in Fergusons, New York, at 66 years of age.

           ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL October 4, 1901  PAGE  2  COL  4

The death of Erastus Edgett occurred at his home at Fergusons on Friday, September 27. The direct cause was erysipelas. His age was about 66 years. He had lived most of his life where he died. He was a good citizen, a kind neighbor, and had many friends.

Funeral services were held from his late home on Sunday at 12 o'clock and were largely attended. His pastor, Rev. Mr. Brown of Benton officiated. His two sons and four sons in law acted as bearers. His wife preceded him in death about two years.

Six children survive, two sons, Frank of Canandaigua, Clarence of Bristol, and four daughters, Mrs. Chapman, Canandaigua, Mrs. O. Link who resides near this place, Mrs. Wilbur Allen of Fergusons, Mrs. Josiah Scott of Bellona, and Miss May Edgett who lives at home.

           He married Sarah Ellen Riche.  Sarah was born 1839.  Sarah died June 06, 1899 in Ferguson Corners, New York, at 59 years of age.

                        ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  June 16, 1899

  DIED    EDGETT At Ferguson's Corners, June 6, 1899, Mrs. Erastus Edgett, aged 60 years. Interment at Gorham.

Erastus Edgett and Sarah Ellen Riche had the following children: 

Neva Edgett            She married Edward Scott Gorham, New York, January 27, 1898. 

           ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL February 4, 1898

                   MARRIED   SCOTTEDGETT

At Gorham, January 27, 1898, Edward Scott and Miss Nina Edgett, both of Ferguson's Corners.


Frank A.2 Edgett   was born in Benton, Yates Co., New York November 1869.  Ferguson's Corner was also listed as a birthplace. Frank died February 01, 1918 Canandaigua, New York, at 48 years of age. 

     ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL February 8, 1918

   DIED      EDGETT    At Canandaigua, February 1, 1918, Frank A. Edgett, aged 51 years.

The death of Frank A. Edgett occurred at his home on Catherine Street on Friday evening, from Brights Disease and pneumonia.  He had been in failing health for some time and had been confined to the home for nine weeks. 

Born at Ferguson's Corners 51 years ago.  After coming to Canandaigua he was employed as an attendant at Brigham Hall. About 20 years ago he became associated with the W. W. Wilcox grocery store and later with the Tracey and Parmele grocery firm.  He was well known and was a citizen of the highest character, whose whole life was upright and honorable in all things.  

There survive his wife, Mrs. Ursula Tracey Edgett, and five sisters and a brother, Mrs. Lillie Allen and Mrs. Neva Scott, both at Ferguson's Corners, Mrs. Cora Chapman, of Reed Corners, Mrs. Minnie Link of Gorham, and Mrs. Mary Sweickard, of Rochester, and Clarence Edgett of South Bristol. 

The funeral services were held at the home on Monday afternoon. Rev. C. Cleveland Baker pastor of the Presbyterian Church of which the deceased was a member, officiated.  The Knights of the Maccabees, Tent No. 168 of which the deceased was a member attended the services. Interment at Woodlawn. 


Died at his home on 53 Catherine Street from Brights disease and pneumonia. Born at Fergusons Corners 51 years ago. Also employed at Brigham Hall as an attendant. About 1898 he became associated with the W. W. Wilcox Grocery store and later with the Tracey and Parmele grocery firm. When taken ill he was employed at the A. B. Parmele store.   He was survived by five sisters and a brother, Clarence of South Bristol. His body was interred 1918 Canandaigua, New York, Woodlawn Cemetery. 

He married Ursilla Tracey Canandaigua, New York, October 20, 1898.[i] Canandaigua City Clerk office record number 1002.

                      ONTARIO REPOSITORY and MESSENGER Thurs. October 27, 1898  PAGE  8

                       MARRIAGE        EDGETT  - TRACEY 

                          ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL October 21, 1898

                                   MARRIED    EDGETT  - TRACEY

At Canandaigua, October 20, 1898, Frank A. Edgett of Ferguson's Corners, and Miss Ursilla Tracey of Canandaigua.

                          SAME  PAPER PAGE  3  COL  4

Frank A. Edgett of Ferguson's Corners, and Miss Ursilla Tracey, of this village, were married at the residence of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Tracey, 26 West Gibson Street, at 6 o'clock yesterday afternoon, in the presence of 75 relatives and friends.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. C. H. Dickinson, the Episcopal service being used.  The wedding march was played by Miss Agnes Stevens.  The house was trimmed throughout by autumn leaves. Miss Fannie Shannon of Rochester was maid of honor.  She wore green organdie and carried pink roses.  The best man was William Tracey, brother of the bride.

The ushers were the Misses Katherine Tracey, Grace Blanchard, Jessie Foster, of this village, Miss Nettie Little of Binghamton, Miss Geraldine Bounds, of Shortsville, and Miss Elizabeth Clarke, of Rochester, all of whom were gowned in white. The bride's dress was white organdie over white silk, and she carried white roses. 

After the wedding supper, the bride and groom left on the 8 o'clock train for a two week's trip in the south after which they will be home at 28 Bristol Street. He is an attendant at Brigham Hall.

Frank A. Edgett and Ursilla Tracey had the following child:

 ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  Friday September 12, 1902  PAGE  2 COL  6

Infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Edgett at Canandaigua, September 7, 1902. 

William H.2 Ellis   was born in Verona, Oneida County, New York November 27, 1802.  William  died December 26, 1885 Canandaigua, New York, at 83 years of age. 

  In this town, December 25, 1885, William H. Ellis, aged 83 years.      

The subject of the above sketch was born in the town of Verona, Oneida County, in this state, November 27, 1802, where he resided with his parents until he was fourteen years old, when he went to Rome, Oneida County and lived one year with his uncle, Stephen White. In the winter of 1817 1818 he came with his father's family to this town, locating near Cheshire. From that time until he was twenty years old he worked with his father at the carpenter trade. At the age of twenty, having bought the last year of his minority of his father, he commenced business on his own account as a building contractor.

In 1828, having previously married, he moved into this village, and for many years was known as one of the most prominent business men of the place. In early life not withstanding his limited means for obtaining an education, he qualified himself to teach a common school, and was thus engaged for four winters, when it was the custom to board around and when 2 dollars per month was considered ample compensation for the services rendered. He was also elected School Inspector and served in that capacity for a number of years. Captain Ellis was married in 1826 to Miss Ruth Atwell, with whom he has lived lovingly and happily for more than half a century.

He derived his military title from a Captain's commission bearing the signature of Gov. DeWitt Clinton. In politics, Capt. Ellis was first an Anti Mason, then a Whig, and finally a Republican. He was always active in the support of his political views, and it was at one time said of him by the late Nicholas G. Cheseboro, that he had more influence and controlled more votes than any other man in the county.

Capt. Ellis was an honest man and good citizen, a kind husband and father, and an obliging neighbor. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and sustained the character of a sincere, consistent Christian. He was the father of eleven children. Of these only five remain, four men and one daughter, who with their aged mother mourn his loss.

                    ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL January 1, 1886

 DIED  -   ELLIS    In Canandaigua, December 25, 1885, William H. Ellis, aged 83 years.

                He married Ruth Atwater Canandaigua, New York, March 1826. 

                          ONTARIO COUNTY REPOSITORY April 5, 1826  

 It shows her name as Atwell.

Ruth was born Cheshire, New York March 13, 1807.  Ruth was the daughter of Peter Atwater and Olive Penoyer.  Ruth died May 17, 1889 Canandaigua, New York, at 82 years of age.[i] [i]. Canandaigua City Clerk office record number 63.Her maiden name is given as Atwater. Her age is 82 years and 2 months.

                  ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  May 24, 1889

DIED -   ELLIS -   At the home of her son Albion Ellis in Canandaigua, on Friday, May 17, 1889, Mrs. Ruth A. Ellis, relict of the late William H. Ellis, aged 82 years, 2 months and four days.

William H. Ellis and Ruth Atwater had the following children:

William Henry Ellis  was born 1831.  William died February 14, 1899 in Senora, Texas, at 67 years of age. 


  DIED -   ELLIS           At Senora, Texas, February 14, 1899, William Henry Ellis, of Canandaigua, aged 68 years.

             Ellen M. Ellis  was born 1843.  Ellen died February 15, 1876 Canandaigua, New York, at 32 years of age.

                      ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES

ELLIS In this village, Feb 15, 1876, Ellen M.,  youngest daughter of William H. and Ruth Ellis, aged 33 years. Funeral from the residence of William H. Ellis on Chapin Street tomorrow at 2 PM.

Charles B. Ellis  was born 1847.  Charles died May 10, 1885 Canandaigua, New York, at 37 years of age.

                      ONTARIO MESSENGER  Thurs. May 14, 1885  COL 7

 DIED  -   ELLIS      In this village, Sunday afternoon, May 10th, 1885, Charles B. Ellis, aged 38 years.

Albert G. Ellis  was born 1850.  He married Eliza Jackson Detroit, Michigan, May 23, 1874. 

              ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES   1874

                    MARRIED  ELLISJACKSON

At the residence of the bride's father, in the city of Detroit, on Tuesday, the 23rd instant, by Rev. George Worthington, Albert G. Ellis, formerly of Canandaigua, NY, and Eliza, only daughter of George Jackson Esq.

                      Eliza Jackson    In the 1870 Canandaigua Census he is listed as a Jeweler like his brother Walter.


Daniel Beldon2 Ellis was born in Verona, New York July 14, 1806. Daniel died August 12, 1885 Canandaigua, New York, at 79 years of age.[i] [i]. City Clerk office record number 318.

  ONTARIO MESSENGER  August 20, 1885  PAGE  3

     DIED -  ELLIS    At his residence in Canandaigua, on Wednesday, August 12th, 1885, Daniel Beldon Ellis, in his 80th year.

                      He married Lucinda who was born 1816. Lucinda died March 09, 1888 Canandaigua, New York, at 71 years of age. 

                     ONTARIO COUNTY REPOSITORY and MESSENGER Thursday March 15, 1888

ELLIS -   At Canandaigua, March 9, 1888, Lucinda Ellis, widow of the late Daniel B. Ellis, aged 72 years, and 10 months.

DIED -     ELLIS      In this village, March 9, 1888, Mrs. Lucinda Ellis, widow of the late Daniel B. Ellis, aged 72 years, 10 months, and 25 days. The deceased was the mother of two sons and one daughter, Mr. A. J. Ellis, of New York, and Mr. Frank Ellis and Mrs. O. E. Brockelbank, of this village, all of whom were present at the funeral on Sunday last. 

Albion3 Ellis  was born Canandaigua, New York March 1827.  Albion died December 30, 1891 Canandaigua, New York, at 64 years of age.[i]  [i]. Canandaigua City Clerk office record number 878. Record states his place of birth as Canandaigua.

     ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL January 1, 1892

Albion Ellis, a very well known resident of this village, died at his home on Charlotte Street, Wednesday afternoon of apoplexy after a very short illness. Mr. Ellis had been subject to apoplexy but previous to Monday he was in fairly good health.

On Monday he was severely attacked and grew steadily worse until the end came Wednesday. He was about 75 years of age, and leaves a widow and three children, Captain Eugene A. Ellis, of the U. S. Army at Fort Yates, North Dakota, Edson C. Ellis of North Attleboro, Conn., and Miss Carrie A. Ellis, of this village.

                      ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES Wednesday January 6, 1892 PAGE  3

                                                       DEATH of ALBION ELLIS

Albion Ellis whose serious illness was mentioned in last week's issue of the Times, died on Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Ellis had been in usual health and engaged in active work until the previous Monday morning when he was suddenly stricken with apoplexy at his shop.  He was at once taken to his home on Charlotte St. and medical aid called, but he never rallied, and after lying two days in an unconscious state, passed away as stated.

Mr. Ellis who was nearly 65 years of age was the son of the late William H. Ellis, and had lived all his life in Canandaigua. He was a carpenter and builder by trade, and for many years was a leading contractor of the village. He built a number of the principal business blocks here and many dwelling houses.

Mr. Ellis is survived by a wife and three children, Capt. Eugene A. Ellis, 7th US Cavalry, now stationed at Fort Yates, Dakota, Edson C. Ellis, of North Attleboro, Mass, and Miss Caroline A. Ellis of this village.  Funeral services conducted by Rev. Mr. Calhoun took place at the house on Saturday afternoon. He was 64 years and 3 mos. old. His body was interred 1891 Canandaigua, New York, West Avenue Cemetery. 

                   He married Sarah Caroline Johnson 1855.  Sarah was born in Seneca County, New York July 31, 1835.  Sarah was the daughter of Moses Johnson and Mary Dey.  Sarah died October 26, 1915 Canandaigua, New York, at 80 years of age.

                           ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL October 29, 1915

ELLIS The death of Mrs. Sarah Caroline Ellis, widow of Albion Ellis, occurred at the Clark Manor house on Tuesday, aged 80 years.  She leaves two sisters, Mrs. Richard Jones, of Clifton Springs, and Mrs. Esther Adams of Chapin. Rev. Livingston L. Taylor officiated at the funeral services yesterday morning. Interment was in West Ave Cemetery.

Albion Ellis and Sarah Caroline Johnson had the following children:

  Carrie A. Ellis  was born July 1858.  Carrie died September 15, 1905 Canandaigua, New York, at 47 years of age. 

                    ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL September 15, 1905

                           DEATH OF MISS CAROLINE ELLIS

A beloved teacher in the Union School for 15 years. The death of Miss Caroline Ellis occurred at her home on Charlotte Street this morning at 7 o'clock. Miss Ellis had been in failing health for some time, a cancerous trouble undermining her constitution and finally causing her death.

She had been a teacher in the Union school of this village for some 15 years. She gave to her work a faithfulness and an earnestness which made her a valuable teacher, beloved by her pupils. To her invalid mother, Mrs. Albion Ellis, her death comes as a sad blow, for she was the last of three children to be taken.

 Miss Ellis was a member of the Congregational church and took a part in all its activities as long as her strength would permit. The funeral arrangements are not yet completed. She is listed as a teacher in the 1892 Canandaigua Census. 

Sarah Louisa Ellis  was born October 1864.  Sarah died January 02, 1871 Canandaigua, New York, at 6 years of age. 

                     ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES  February 16, 1871 

DIED  -   On the 2nd instant, Canandaigua,  Sarah Louisa, daughter of Albion and Sarah C. Ellis in this village, aged 6 years and 4 months.

Emma B. Ellis   was born July 1865.  Emma died August 20, 1875 Canandaigua, New York, at 10 years of age. 


DIED ELLIS  -    In this place on the evening of Friday, the 20th inst., Emma B., daughter of Albion and S. Caroline Ellis, aged 9 years. Her body was interred 1875 Canandaigua, New York, West Avenue Cemetery.  9 years and 1 month old. 

George W.3 Ellis   was born 1835.   He married Margaret Burke August 25, 1866.  I found a marriage record at the Hopewell Archives, Ontario County, NY, which was filed in 1910. It read as follows, This is to certify that George W. Ellis of Canandaigua in the State of New York, and Maggie Burke of Chapinville in the State of New York, were by me joined together in Holy Matrimony on the twenty fifth day of August in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and sixty six, in the presence of L. Hamline Chase, Edward Gray.  Signed by Minister of the M E Church, Daniel S. Chase.

                   Margaret Burke was born 1850.  Margaret was the daughter of Mr. Burke and Mrs. Burke.  Margaret died January 06, 1935 Geneva, New York, at 84 years of age.

              ONTARIO COUNTY TIMES JOURNAL Friday January 11, 1935

                                           OBITUARY  -  ELLIS  

Mrs. Margaret B. Ellis, aged 84 years, widow of George W. Ellis, formerly of this city, died at the Dixon Sanitarium in Geneva, Sunday night.  Mrs. Ellis was spending the winter with her niece, Mrs. Charles D. Hilimire in that city.  She had lived in Chicago for the last 15 years.

Besides the niece she is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Ruth Caswell of Chicago, a son, Warner Ellis of Geneva, a sister, Kittie Burke, and a brother, Michael Burke, both of Canandaigua, and three grandchildren. Funeral services were held from Woodlawn Chapel, Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. Charles N. St. John of the Congregational church officiating. Interment was made in Woodlawn Cemetery.

George W. Ellis and Margaret Burke had the following children:

John B.4 Ellis  was born 1874.  John  died June 1926 Detroit, Michigan, at 51 years of age.


 John B. Ellis -  Word was received here yesterday of the death in Detroit, Michigan, of John B. Ellis, aged 52 years, a former resident of this city.   He leaves his mother, Mrs. George W. Ellis, and a sister and brother, Mrs. L. C. Caswell, and G. Warner Ellis, all of Chicago.  Remains arrived here last night, and the funeral will be held this afternoon. 

Walter H.3 Ellis   was born 1842.    He married Hattie L. Wolcott Chicago, Il., June 02, 1884. 

          ONTARIO  COUNTY  JOURNAL  June 13, 1884

                   MARRIED        ELLIS - WOLCOTT

 In Chicago, on the 2nd inst., by the Rev. W. H. Walker, Walter H. Ellis, of Canandaigua, and Miss Hattie L. Wolcott of the former place.


Eugene Albion4 Ellis   was born 1855.  Eugene died February 21, 1902 in Hot Springs, Arkansas, at 46 years of age.

                   ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL February 28, 1902

                                        OBITUARY     ELLIS

Major Eugene Albion Ellis, of the 13th United States Calvary, died Friday at the Army and Navy hospital in Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he had been receiving medical treatment for Bright's disease since November. Failing eyesight compelled Major Ellis to leave Cuba last August and to come to New York, where physicians discovered that he was suffering from the dread disease.  He then obtained a four month's sick leave, and accompanied by his wife and little son, went to Hot Springs hoping to receive permanent benefit.

Major Ellis was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Albion Ellis, and was born in Chapinville 46 years ago last August.  In his infancy his parents moved to this village. He was educated in the public school and the academy. While a student at the latter institution, in 1872, he was appointed to West Point Military academy through the influence of Congressman William H. Lamport.  He graduated in 1876 and joined the Eighth Calvary at Fort Clark, Texas. He served  as second and first lieutenant of the Eighth Calvary. 

In 1884 he received a detail at the West Point Military Academy in the department of modern languages, as assistant professor of French and English.  In 1889 he joined his regiment at Fort Meade, S. D., and took part in the Sioux Indian Campaign of 1890 91. He was promoted captain of G Troop of the Eighth Calvary in 1892, and Feb 28, 1901, was made major of the 18th Calvary. 

During the Spanish war he served as post commander at Fort Niobrara, Neb., and later went with the army of occupation to Puerto Principe, Cuba.  After serving only a few weeks there with his regiment, he was called as collector of customs, captain of the port and American counsel at Guantanamo, Cuba, where he was stationed when his health failed. 

The career of Major Ellis had been watched with deep pride and interest by his Canandaigua friends, among whom he had grown up and with whom he had always been a favorite.  His rapid promotion in the army testified to the high esteem in which he was held by his superiors. 

 Major Ellis was the author of a Dictionary of French Slang.  In 1895, in competition with a large number of army officers, he won a gold medal for the best essay on, "Discipline in the United States Army."  

 The deceased is survived by his wife who was Miss Kate Spencer,  the daughter of Dr. Thomas Rush Spencer, of Geneva, his mother Mrs. Albion Ellis, of this village, one daughter, Mrs. Thomas Truslow, of Guantanamo, Cuba, two sons, Eugene Alexander, and Hamilton Peyton, one sister, Miss Carrie Ellis, and one brother, Edson C. Ellis, both of this village.

The remains reached Geneva on Monday afternoon, and were taken directly to the receiving vault at Glenwood Cemetery. In obedience to the request of the family there was no military display. His body was interred 1902 Geneva, New York, Glenwood Cemetery. 

           He married twice.  He married Kate Spencer.  Kate is the daughter of Thomas Rush Dr. Spencer.  He married  an unknown person.  In the 1875 Canandaigua Census he is listed as a West Point Cadet, living with his parents. 

Edson C.4 Ellis was born Canandaigua, New York September 03, 1869.  Edson died July 04, 1905 Canandaigua, New York, at 35 years of age.[i]  [i]. Canandaigua City Clerk office record number 1990.The record said he had been shot by a policeman.

            ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL  July 07, 1905

  DIED      ELLIS -    At Canandaigua, July 4, 1905, Edson C. Ellis, aged 38 years.

                      NEWSPAPER ACCOUNT of his death.


The Fourth of July witnessed the ending, in a shocking manner, of a once promising life.  Apparently demented, and acting in a most violent manner toward his family and neighbors, Edson C. Ellis, aged 38 years, was accidentally shot by an officer who had been called to arrest him. 

The story is a sad one, but not unlike others which are constantly being enacted.  Ellis had shown signs of insanity some days before, the police had been consulted about his case, and he was under surveillance. When word came soon after noon on Tuesday that Ellis had driven his wife, her mother and his son from the home on North Pearl Street, known as the Gilbert place, Officer Delbert Fisk hastened to the scene.  He found Ellis in the yard, with a pair of scissors and an axe he threatened the life of anyone who attempted to enter.  Fisk tried to reason with the insane man, and when that failed, he approached him for the purpose of disarming him.

Ellis started toward the officer, with axe raised, evidently intending to carry out his threat.  Then Officer Fisk drew his revolver, intending to fire over Ellis' head and frighten him into submission. The ball however struck in the right breast, fractured the clavicle, and cutting through the carotid artery, causing internal hemorrhage, from which Ellis died 20 minutes later.

 Up to within a few years ago, deceased was a successful traveling salesman. Besides his wife and six year old son, there survive his mother, Mrs. Sarah C. Ellis, and one sister, Miss Caroline Ellis.  The story of the shooting was told in detail by witnesses before Coroner F. P. Warner, at the inquest on Wednesday afternoon. That Fisk had only intended to frighten the insane man, after patiently trying efforts to reason with him, was clearly shown by the testimony of all witnesses.

Flagman Andrew Brady of the West Gibson street crossing, said that during the forenoon of the day of the shooting he had ordered Ellis off the railroad track, telling him that he was in no condition to be walking on the track.  John Engert, who lives nearby, related how Mrs. Ellis' mother Mrs. Votaw, came to his house crying, shortly after noon saying that Ellis had driven everyone from the house and threatened to kill anyone who entered the premises.  At her request Mr. Engert sent one of his daughters to notify the police. 

Witness afterward went down to work in his potato patch, near the Ellis house, and saw Ellis in the yard, acting wildly, and repeating that he would kill the first person that set foot on the premises.  Engert tried to calm him, but seeing that it was no use, he disregarded his further threats and abuse. He said that Ellis had a saw and a club on the lawn, and when the officer approached he went back to where they were. He witnessed the controversy between the two men, the officer came over to where witness was and inquired about the trouble.  Then he went back, he saw Ellis with upraised axe, heard the shot and he hastened over. Fisk asked witness to telephone for the ambulance, which he did from the brewery office.

On a previous occasion Mrs. Ellis had intimated to him that the lives of the members of the family were in danger. Officer Delbert Fisk, being sworn, said that he was about 25 years of age, and had been on the force 13 months. He said that he answered a call to the Ellis place on July 4 and reached there about 1 10 PM.  As he approached the house, Ellis got up from a chair in which he was sitting, and shouted to Fisk not to come in, coupling with it a threat to kill him if he did. Fisk went on in, starting for the side door, but as as Ellis approached with the axe, he went to the front door.

He found that the other members of the family were not on the premises, he tried to calm Ellis, whom he described as a savage looking man. He wore no coat, collar or hat, his shirt was unbuttoned, his hair disheveled and eyes bulging. Seeing Engert across the road, Officer Fisk left the premises and went over to inquire about the trouble. He said that he was convinced  that Ellis was a dangerous man to be at large and returned to arrest him.

He repeatedly asked him to put down the axe, but Ellis only drew nearer, and when just without range of the swinging weapon, the officer began to back off the premises. Ellis following him with upraised axe, and repeating threats to kill him. Just before the street line was reached, Fisk brought out his revolver in the hope of intimidating the madman. A minute later he pointed the revolver over the man's head, and as he fired, stepped backward down an embankment about a foot and a half, which brought the shot in range of the victim, instead of over his head, as intended. 

As he shot, Ellis had the axe raised above his head,  the men were five feet apart, the axe immediately dropped and the man fell backward. He never spoke and was dead 20 minutes later. The 45 caliber bullet made a savage internal wound, as described above.

Fisk was questioned by the coroner regarding the police rules and his understanding of his duty in dealing with violent persons. He said that he had a right to protect his own life and that of others, and to use his revolver as a last resort. He said that he did not fire hastily, that he anticipated trouble with Ellis, but thought that the show of the weapon would cause him to submit to arrest.

It was clear from all the testimony that the step backward down the embankment caused the shot to take its fatal course.  The statement of Mrs. Votaw and Mrs. Ellis substantiated the testimony of Engert and the officer. They said in substance that they considered themselves fortunate that they were not killed.  Yesterday Coroner F. P. Warner rendered the following verdict, Edson C. Ellis came to his death at 1 10 PM on July 4 suffering from alcoholic insanity, by being shot by Policeman Delbert Fisk when resisting arrest.  

Said Policeman was acting under self defense, Ellis having attacked him with an axe. The nature of this verdict doubtless ends the unfortunate affair.  The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the home of the young man's mother, Mrs. Sarah C. Ellis, Charlotte street. Rev. Lewis T. Reed officiating.

                  Edson's body was interred 1905 Canandaigua, New York, West Avenue Cemetery.

 He married Florence Sanford.  Florence became the mother of Robert D. Ellis Canandaigua, New York, December 01, 1898. 

                 ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL December 9, 1898

 BORN  - ELLIS  -   At Canandaigua, December 1, 1898, to Mr. and Mrs. Edson C. Ellis, a son.

                                                Florence became the mother of Albion Ellis Canandaigua, New York, February 27, 1900. 

Edson C. Ellis and Florence Sanford had the following children:

Robert D.5 Ellis  was born Canandaigua, New York December 01, 1898. 

                 ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL December 9, 1898

   BORN  ELLIS -    At Canandaigua, December 1, 1898, to Mr. and Mrs. Edson C. Ellis, a son.                 

HTML by Dianne Thomas

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for
profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2003 - 2014

[NY History and Genealogy]