Record of Some of the Most Valuable and Productive Farms
Contributed by Traci
of two hundred acres, on Lots 48 and 46, Wabash road, within a mile of market
facilities, and is the property of HENRY V.
Post office, Hall’s Corners. Soil
products are wheat, corn, barley, oats, cabbage and beets.
Apples are principal the fruit. One
hundred and forty acres are under cultivation and fifty in timber.
Wells furnish a never-failing water supply.
In 1903 the wheat crop yielded fourteen hundred bushels.
Of its improvements, a stone residence, built in 1839, is the most
conspicuous, while there are two principal buildings, although there are two
barns, one 35X60, with basement, and one 30X60; these are the principal
buildings, although there are the usual out-buildings and all are in good
repair. The first settlement was in
1790, by THOMAS BARDEN,
succeeded by his son LEVI, who was born
and died on this farm, his death occurring at the age of seventy-eight, in 1876. The present owner succeeded to LEVI
BARDEN. He was born
September 18, 1837, and married MARY HOFFMAN;
they have an only daughter, KATHARINE M.,
wife of F. B. JONES, East Bloomfield.
on Lot 19, two and one-half miles from Hall’s Corners, eight from Geneva and
three from Bolona. Three railway
stations within a radius of three miles, and two cities eight and nine miles
distant. It is the property of W.
A. BARDEN, and numbers seventy-two and one-half acres.
Corn is the leading soild product and is used mostly for ensilage.
An apple orchard of five acres comprises the chief fruit industry, but
the dominant feature of the farm is dairy.
MR. BARDEN is the sole proprietor
of “Hillhead Creamery,” and not
only manufactures butter from the milk of his own dairy, but receives that of
his neighbors for like treatment. Fifty
acres are under cultivation and sixteen in hardwood timber.
Four wells with windmill power furnish water for buildings and stock, and
streams, which head on the farm, the water flowing north and south, give a
never-failing supply for fields and pasture stock.
Its buildings consist of a frame dwelling, barn 32X70, horse barn 24X48,
pig sty 16X24, all new. SYLVANUS BARDEN,
grandfather of the present incumbent, settled here in 1829; he was succeeded by
his son, SYLVANUS P., whose successor was
W. A. BARDEN, who continues the
proprietorship. He was born in
Seneca, January 23, 1855, was married to MISS AGNES
RIPPEY, and their family consists of three children:
NEWTON, GEORGE AND JENNIE.
located on Wabash street, Lot 21. It
is the property of HERBERT BEATTIE (post
address, Hall’s Corners), and it numbers one hundred and twenty-two acres.
Its nearest shipping point is Kashong Switch, one and one-half miles
distant. The farm products are grains and vegetables, while six acres
are devoted to apple orchards. MR.
BEATTIE conducts a dairy of ten or twelve cows, and ships the milk to
the Hillhead Creamery. Ninety acres of meadow land are under cultivation, and there
are ten acres of hardwood timber. Two
wells and a spring supply the water. The
farm’s banner year was 1902, when one thousand barrels of apples were grown.
The buildings comprise of a frame dwelling, a horse barn 24X36, also two
other barns, one 30X75, with basement; the other, 30X40 built before the farm
came into the possession of the BEATTIE
family. The land is rolling enough
to make good tile drainage possible. DAVID
BEATTIE, a native of Scotland, was the
first of the family to settle on the farm, and his son WILLIAM
succeeded him. WILLIAM died in 1893,
and the property has since been his estate, although managed by HERBERT
BEATTIE. The latter was
born March 23, 1866 and was married to EMMA SIMPSON.
The have two children: HAROLD G. and
consists of seventy-five acres; Lot 9, Geneva turnpike.
It is owned by M. NEWTON BLACK.
Post office, Stanley, R. F. D. Geneva
is seven miles distant and Canandaigua nine miles.
Its soil products are of general character, and fruit raising includes an
apple orchard of four acres, peaches and plums.
About fifteen acres is the average meadow land, while grain and vegetable
raising is distributed as follows: Seven
acres of oats, ten of wheat, four of corn, twenty-three of cabbage,
three-quarters of an acre to table beets, one acre to parsnips, two and one-half
acres to carrots, one acre of onions, two acres of potatoes, half acre in
tomatoes and cauliflower. Springs
and wells furnish an abundant water supply for all the farm’s needs.
In 1903, which seems to have been a red letter year for Grand View, the
sales of products raised on the farm amounted to five thousand dollars; its oats
yielded seventy-five bushels per acre, wheat thirty bushels, and it is plain
that during one favorable season eighteen tons of carrots were raised on a half
acre of ground. Be this as it may, the record here given shows conclusively
what can be accomplished on a farm of seventy-five acres if properly managed.
Its building improvements includes a frame dwelling and a large barn
erected in 1813, which as been improved by adding a slate roof and otherwise
repaired. Surface of the farm
slopes to the east, and there is considerable under drainage.
The soil is a black loam and no waste land is visible.
This farm was in the WHITNEY
family for many years and they were doubtless the earliest settlers.
It came into possession of MR. BLACK
in 1902. He was born in the town of
Seneca, June 3, 1854. He married JANETTE
WATSON, and their family consists of two children; ELLA,
wife of WILLIAM RIPPEY, and BELLE.
MR. BLACK is also interested in produce, the farm being WHITNEY
a farm of eighty acres, is the property of WILLIAM
F. BLACK, whose post office address is Hall’s Corners.
It is situated on Lot 15, two and one-half miles from Hall Station, and
six miles from Geneva, its nearest markets.
The soil products are general. There
are fifteen to twenty-five acres of hay, ten of beans, three of cabbage, and ten
of corn, while twenty acres are devoted to apple orchards, and the entire farm
is under cultivation. MR.
BLACK owns sixty head of
registered Shropshire sheep. The
special features of “Black Hill” is its wheat crop.
In 1903 eight acres of wheat yielded four hundred and with bushels. The farm buildings are numerous, consisting of a frame
dwelling, a barn 32X78, with basement, and shed 22X44, also a horse barn 22X45,
and tool house 26X22. The surface
of the land is gently rolling and the soil is under drained.
The father of the present incumbent was born in the town of Geneva, and
settled on this farm in 1860. He
died in 1894. WILLIAM
F. BLACK succeeded him and still owns the property.
He was born in Geneva, November 12, 1860, and married
FLORA ENSLEY. They have
five children: LEWIS
D., MARY J., HUGH R., HARRIET E., and ANNA
prettily named farm of EDWARD BURRELL.
It consists of one hundred acres and eighty acres, and is managed by T.
W. BURRELL, whose post office address is Hall’s Corners.
The property is situated on Center Road, Lot 115, within one mile of
Hall’s Corners, its nearest market. The
soil products are general. There
are twenty-five acres of corn, twelve of wheat, twenty-five of oats, and six of
cabbage, besides which there are seventeen acres of fruit, chiefly apples.
MR. BURRELL owns an excellent
diary of twenty cows, and butter is made on the farm, which is well equipped for
that enterprise. There are
sixty-five acres of meadow and pasture land, and ten of timber.
BURRELL Creek, which passes the rear of the farm, also wells with
windmill power, provides the water supply.
The soil is dark and sandy loam. The
farm buildings consist of a frame dwelling, two tenant houses, a barn 48X100,
which basement and two floors above, also gambrel roof.
The other out-buildings are in thorough repair.
EDWARD BURRELL, the first settler
on the farm, came to America for Northumberland County, England, arriving in
September, 1800, when his son THOMAS,
father of the present owner, was only four years of age.
It is an interesting fact that EDWARD BURRELL
erected the first sawmill of the town on this property in 1808.
THOMAS BURRELL came into
possession of “Brookside” in
1854, and in 1868 it passed into the hands of the present incumbent, EDWARD
BURRELL. The latter was
born on the farm. He married ELIZABETH
PARKER, and they have two sons:
EDWARD P., of Cleveland, Ohio, and
THOMAS W., who manages the farm.
CHARLTON PLACE contains one hundred and nine acres and is owned by JOHN R. CHARLTON; address, Stanley, R. F. D. No. 3. It is located on Lot 91, two miles from this village. Oats, wheat, corn, buckwheat and potatoes constitute its soil products. The apple orchard of four acres with pears and other fruit comprise its fruit products, while cattle and horses raised to some extent. The average meadow land consists of twenty-three acres and pasture twenty acres. The soil products have an annual average something as follows: twenty acres in oats, eleven in corn, ten in wheat and seven in buckwheat. The timber land comprises twenty acres; three wells, reinforce by Flint Creek, furnish an abundant water supply. The name is appropriately selected in honor of the family whose members have occupied this farm for more than a century. The building improvements consists of a frame dwelling, barn 36 X 78, with basement and gambrel roof, slate-covered, horse barn 30X52 and shed 16X50, the entire group being in excellent repair.
HTML by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2005 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy]