Ontario Co., NY History
Pub 1893 pg
240 - 253
240 - 253
Return to Home Page
In 1813 the
old Ontario Bank was chartered by an act of the Legislature, and in the
personnel of its management were the leading men of the county seat.
Nathaniel GORHAM was its president, and William KIBBE was cashier.
The latter, however, was succeeded in 1821 by Henry B. GIBSON, who was
decidedly prominent in local history for many years.
He continued with the bank until the expiration of its charter, in 1856,
and afterward did a loaning business, but was not a banker later than that date.
The Ontario Bank had a capital of $500,000.
Bank was allowed to establish a branch bank at Utica, which was done April 10,
1815. However, by some process the
branch was operated as a banking institution of Canandaigua, and was so
continued for many years, under the direction of William R. WELLES and H. K.
Savings Bank was incorporated April 30, 1830, the incorporators being Judge
HOWELL, H. F. PENFIELD, Jared WILLSON, Jno. GREIG, Jno. C. SPENCER, Wm. B.
WELLES, Oliver PHELPS and P. P. BATES. In
1832 Thomas BEALS was elected treasurer, and so continued during the existence
of the bank. Afterward he conducted
a private banking business in the village until his death in 1864.
The Bank of
Canandaigua, an individual concern, was opened for business April 4, 1854, and
at one time had an apparent capital of $26,000, consisting of stocks and real
estate. Theodore HART was its chief
managing officer, and in 1857, he secured a partner in William ANTIS, who was
made cashier. After a time Mr.
ANTIS sold his interest to H. J. MESSENGER, who changed its name and conducted
succeeded to the banking business formerly conducted by Henry B. GIBSON, and
established the once well-known Exchange Bank. In 1861 MOSHER assigned to M. D. MESSENGER, and then what was
known as the Messenger Bank was started.
National Bank of Canandaigua was established in 1864, with a capital stock of
$75,000. George COOK was its
president, and M. D. MUNGER, cashier. In
1873 E. G. TYLER was elected president. In
1887 this bank was about to liquidate and go out of business, and about the same
time effected a sale, and was succeeded by the present Canandaigua National
Bank, whose organization dates from December 1, 1887.
Its capital stock is $100,000. The
first officers, who have ever since been continued in their respective positions
were: F. H. HAMLIN, president; Robert CHAPIN, vice president; H. T. PARMELE,
cashier. The Board of Directors is as follows: Dr. Henry FOSTER,
Thompson SUTHERLAND, Marvin A. WILBUR, F. H. HAMLIN, W. H. TUTTLE, H. T. PARMELE,
J. Henry METCALF, Walter MARKS, Robert CHAPIN.
firm of Williams & Barnes is the outgrowth of a banking business established
by John C. DRAPER in 1871. He went
out of business in 1889, and was succeeded by Henry S. PIERCE and George N.
WILLIAMS, under the style of Pierce & Williams.
In February, 1890, Mr. PIERCE died, and immediately thereafter James W.
BARNES became associated with Mr. WILLIAMS, under the firm name of Williams
firm of McKechnie & Co. was founded and established by James and Alexander
McKECHNIE in October, 1882, and although a private bank was nevertheless
capitalized at $100,000. At the
same time Alfred DENBOW was made one of the banking firm and placed in charge as
cashier, and so continued until 1890, the year of his death.
He was at once succeeded by Mack S. SMITH, who still fills the position.
Alexander McKECHNIE died in January, 1883, and his interest passed to his
widow and heirs. James McKECHNIE
died in September, 1889, and a similar disposition was made of his interest.
The active persons in connection with the bank at the present time are
the heirs and legatees of James and Alexander McKECHNIE; Orin S. BACON as
executor; Mark S. SMITH, cashier; and Frank E. HOWE and Fred A. McKECHNIE,
much truth it may be said that the village of Canandaigua has never occupied an
advanced position among the county seats of the State in respect to the number
of its manufacturing interests. Indeed
it has been asserted that during the early history of the village there was much
direct opposition to encouraging manufactures in the community and that many
prominent and wealthy families were induced to come to Canandaigua on the
strength of representations assuring them that they should not be annoyed by the
presence of large factories. However
much of truth there may have been in this assertion is now unimportant, but it
is a fact that manufacturing has never been prominent in this village.
mercantile business, however, the situation has long been quite different, and
it may be said that there has not been at any time a lack of men or capital in
any branch of the trade. And we may
also say, with equal truth, that there is no appearance of over competition in
any business, but that the supply has been about equal to the demand.
The business part of the village is peculiarly well situated, the stores
and blocks being conveniently close to one another, and all well centered, a
great convenience both to tradesman and customer.
And there does not appear to have been any attempt to extend trade north
of the railroad, hence the general growth has been to the south, on Main street,
and slightly to the east and west on some of the lateral thoroughfares.
early history of the village, the situation was much the same as at the present
time, though of course less in number were the business houses.
Some of the early and prominent merchants of the village we may
appropriately recall. During the
first score of years of village history there were in trade Augustus PORTER
& Co., Freeman ATWATER, John COCHRANE, Thompson & Benjamin, James
SIBLEY, Robert SPENCER, William ANTIS, Thompson & Benedict, Peter BROWN,
Little & Hawley, Joel ANDREWS, Jonathan PHELPS, Luther COLE and Ira BLAKE,
(general merchants), Whiting, Bemis & Co., Norton & Richards, Thomas
BEALS, Asa W. WHEELER, Charles CAMERON, William JOHNSON, Aaron CRANE, Beals,
Johnson & Tiffany, N. Gould & Co., Reuben PADDLEFORD, Ebenezer HALE, N.
R. HAMILTON, (butchers), and others who are perhaps equally worthy of mention
but whose names cannot be recalled at this remote day.
Concerning the prominent actors on the business stage at a little later
period, Dr. CLARKE's reminiscences afford considerable interesting information.
About the year 1830, H. & R. CHAPIN were merchants where Cooley's
hardware store is located, and on the other side of the street was Church's
Tavern, the old Franklin House which once served as a jail.
Nathaniel GORHAM was a merchant on the upper corner of Bristol street,
while Wm. (Bill) ANTIS's gun-shop was on that below. Henry HOWARD, John A.
GRANGER, Col. Leicester PHELPS, B. B. MORRIS, Ebenezer HALE, Wm. AUSTIN, jr., N.
G. CHESEBRO, hat-maker, Bemis & Ward, book sellers, Hammond & Town, A.
K. VAN RENSSELAER, J. M. MEAD, Thomas B. LYON, C. & W. HAWLEY, Albert
DANIELS, and others were representatives of business interests at that period,
and each in a way of greater or less note.
J. L. Woodruff & Co. and Sanford & Lewis were the principal
hardware dealers, and Jesse MASON and Seth LEE had a morocco factory at the old
tannery of Asa STANLEY on Bristol street. O.
E. SIBLEY was a dealer in watches; Thomas BEALS & Co. sold lead and oils and
seeds; Robert ROYCE, T. McNUTT and A. C. LELAND were the local tailors.
residence portion of the village at the time, particularly on Main street, the
same authority says: Beginning at the public square and going up Main street on
the east side there were the following families: Nathaniel GORHAM, Mark H.
SIBLEY, H. K. SANGER, Mr. SHEPARD, Albert DANIELS, Nathan BARLOW, Dr. DUNGAN,
Judge HOWELL, Wm. JUDEVINE, Jared WILLSON, Henry HOWE, Colonel BUNNELL, John A.
STEARNS, Dudley MARVIN. Returning
on the west side, there was the old tavern (Northern Retreat), Dr. JACOBS,
Phineas P. BATES, Elijah FORBES, Alex. DUNCAN, John GREIG, John C. SPENCER,
Spencer CHAPIN, John A. GRANGER, Thos. BEALS, Henry F. PENFIELD, Walter HUBBELL,
Ebenezer HALE, Nath. SANBORN, Mr. BRAYTON, Dr. CHENEY, H. B. GIBSON, L. JENKINS
and Judge Moses ATWATER.
Present Business Interests.--In this connection but little need be said for it is not the purpose of this work to advertise any merchant or branch of business. However, as we have referred to past merchants, we may with equal proprietary mention the names of some of the more prominent business men of the day.
in)--Caleb BROCKELBANK, Carpenter & Sisson, L. H. HAWLEY, Hopkins &
M. Smith & Co., John STEVENS, L. C. YOUNG.
A. DE GRAFF & Co., William H. FOSTER, Stewart C. McKECHNIE.
BATES, Davidson & Park, Joseph DRUMMER, John HOFF, Edwin LINES, Thomas
SKIDMORE, Wm. A. WIDMAN.
& Merchant Tailors--J.
J. CONROY, J. S. CRAWFORD, Carl HUEBLER, Hugh McFARLAND, W. J. MORAN, F. W.
KINDE, W. M. SPANGLE, L. S. SPRAGUE, E. WEISENBECK.
Bros., Caleb BROCKELBANK, George LINDNER.
A. BAKER, Edward W. SIMMONS, A. S. NEWMAN, LeRoy BENHAM, Charles PAUL.
Bradley ANDERSON, established 1865 by Squires, Anderson & Co.; P. LIGHTON,
Henry SIMONDS, J. Levy Sons, founded by J. Levy & Son in 1878.
JAHN, C. W. NEWMAN & Son, T. SKIDMORE.
& Co., S. S. BURGHER, J. B. CLASSEY,Jjr., Classey & Howell, Eastman
& Wheaton, H. W. GRIMES, Wm. S. McKECHNIE, Moran & Berry, Mrs. P.
MULLIGAN, T. P. MURRAY, W. W. PARSONS, Simmons & Humphrey (succeeded by C.
R. SIMMONS), Frank Twist.
S. & A. E. COOLEY, Alex. DAVIDSON, Theodore PERKINS, Mrs. J. A. TILLOTSON.
MAGGS, Thomas SKIDMORE, L. S. SPRAGUE.
& Watchmakers --W.
W. CASE, C. E. PADLEFORD, Z. SPANGLE & Son, T. B. STEPHENSON, E. C.
DAVIDSON, Wm. GARRETT, Johnson & Crowley, G. T. THOMPSON.
Bros., Boyle & Gartland, Eldridge & Husbands, P. MEATH.
H. BECK, H. CLAUDIUS (estate), Coyle Bros., J. J. CROUGH, Thomas DROONEY, George
FRENCH, H. VAN VECHTEN.
& Kennedy, O. N. CRANE, John B. FRANCIS, John O'LEARY.
has been intimated Canandaigua village has not until quite recently aspired to
or attained any special degree of prominence as a manufacturing center, but
since the organization of the local Board of Trade there has been made some
effort in respect to encouraging this important element of municipal prosperity. In reviewing this branch of local history we may briefly
refer to some of the more prominent past industries and then mention those in
operation at the present time.
this chapter reference has been made to various early industries of the village
and vicinity, in addition to which we may also mention the cooper-shop of
pioneer Isaac LEGARE. Nathaniel
GORHAM and Robert POMEROY built a large three story grist-mill at the lower end
of Main street as early as 1825. In
it were six run of stone, and for the time it was considered a large concern.
It was finally destroyed by fire. H.
M. MEAD was the builder of a large mill near the mouth of Sucker Brook, which
was operated for a time with indifferent success, and was afterward changed into
a woolen mill. It also burned, but
Mead afterward built another mill on another site in the lower part of the
village. In 1840 Robert HIGHAM and
Francis PAUL had a saw-mill, and about the same time John M. TERRILL erected a
firm of Smith Bros. & Co., whose large flouring mill is located on Mill
street in this village, is the outgrowth of the original firm of Richmond &
Miller, the latter having been formed about 1868.
It was afterward succeeded by the firm of Richmond & Smith, during
whose ownership (in 1879) the mill was burned.
Later on a reorganization of the partnership was effected, and the
present firm of Smith Bros. & Co. was formed, the partners being Lucas
SMITH, L. L. SMITH, and John W. PRIEST. The
building occupied by this firm is a large frame structure, well adapted for its
intended use. The mill has a
capacity for making 150 barrels of flour daily, and employs 17 sets of
machinery. The present mill was
built in 1879.
The J. A.
McKechnie Brewing Company was founded by James and Alexander McKECHNIE in 1843,
and since that time has ever been recognized as the leading manufacturing
industry of the village. Although
both the original proprietors are dead the company has been continued without
interruption and its stock is all held by the descendants of the founders.
The works are very extensive and are located on Buffalo street in the
north part of the village. The annual output amounts to about 50,000 barrels, 2/3 being
ale and the balance lager beer. Employment
is furnished to about 100 persons.
south part of the village, on Parrish street, James B. MURRAY began in a small
way the manufacture of cider and vinegar about the year 1860, and continued in
that business until 1889, when James D. MURRAY succeeded him.
In these years the building and plant had become materially enlarged, and
now about 30,000 bushels of apples are annually made into cider.
In the same building in 1891 Thomas S. VAN DERVORT began distilling cider
and grape brandy, which industry has become quite important.
Robinson Chilled Plow Company was organized in 1876, but prior to that time the
firm of Robinson & Herendeen were proprietors of a foundry and machine shop
on the same site. In 1865 J. S.
ROBINSON became sole owner of the plant and began the manufacture of a common
iron plow, and so continued until 1874, when he invented a process for chilling
plows, producing a highly valuable farm implement. In 1876 the company was formed and its principal works
located at Syracuse, and by it the local concern was absorbed and closed for two
years. In 1878 work was resumed in
Canandaigua by the firm of J. S. Robinson & Son, under the name of the
company mentioned. The works employ
about 15 men, and the annual product amounts to more than 500 plows of superior
quality, and for which there is a rapidly increasing demand.
In 1867 the
firm Johnson, Wilcox & Norton started a lumber yard on Pleasant street, on
the site now occupied by the sash, door and blind factory of Johnson &
Crowly, the latter being the outgrowth of the older firm, though not its direct
successor. The present firm was
formed in 1887, the individual members being Thomas JOHNSON and Wm. M. CROWLY.
Beard (HOWE H. L. and BEARD M. C.)--The Ontario Iron Works, of which the above
are the proprietors, were established in 1883 by H. L. HOWE as a machine ship
for repair work and conducted as such for a few years, when he was joined by
Edward I. DAYTON, and the firm was Howe & Dayton for about three years.
Mr. HOWE was alone again until 1889, when the present partnership was
established. At that time a foundry was added to the manufactory, and they
have since done a very extensive business in casting and general machine
business. Since Mr. BEARD's
introduction into the firm, they have enlarged the foundry two or three times,
and have added much machinery. They
are now manufacturing as a specialty rock and ore crushers, and ore granulators.
They make a
special grade of soft gray iron castings, especially useful in the manufacture
of locks and light work.
machinery consists of four lathes, large planer, shaper, four drills, blacksmith
forge, etc., driven by an engine of their own manufacture.
They have also a patternshop attached, where patterns of wood and metal
are made. The capacity of the
foundry cupola is about six tons, and the balance in proportion.
The establishment employs 30-45 hands.
Vanderbilt Sash Balance Company was organized in 1881, with a capital stock of
$10,000, all of which is owned in Canandaigua.
The company manufactures a sash balance, an ingenious and valuable
patented contrivance, designed to replace and supersede the old cord and weight
appliance for raising and balancing window sash. The officers of the company are: Peter LIGHTON, president and
treas.; Wm. M. CROWLY, secretary. The
works are on Pleasant street.
southeast part of the village, near the intersection of Saltonstall and Elmira
streets, are the extensive brick and tile works of Willys & Hollis, which is
worthy of at least a mention in this chapter. In the same connection we may also mention the spoke and hub
factory of William GARRATT, which is located at the foot of Main street, and the
two tinware establishments which have been recently started in the village.
These are the Lisk Manufacturing Company, incorporated in 1889, formerly
doing business in one of the outlying towns of the county, but which removed to
the county seat and occupied extensive works in the eastern part of the village. This is recognized as one of the leading industries of
Canandaigua, and one that furnishes employment to many persons.
Canandaigua Tinware Company manufactures and sells the famous "Queen
Steamer and Cooker." The
company was incorporated May 25, 1892, and is represented by the following
officers: F. P. WARNER, president; H. C. SUTHERLAND, vice-president; W. R.
MARKS, secretary and treasurer.
years Canandaigua has been noted for the general excellence of its public
houses, and it may truthfully be said that at the present time they are superior
to any that have existed in the past. Joseph
SMITH was the pioneer landlord of the village, and closely following him was
Nathaniel SANBORN. Freeman ATWATER
built the Ontario House. Taylor's Hotel came into existence about 1803, and the
afterward famous Blossom's Hotel was built about 1815, its first
proprietor being Elisha MILLS. Blossom's
Hotel later on became the Canandaigua Hotel, but had no relation to the present
elegant hostelry which now bears that name.
In this chapter previous mention has been made of the old Franklin
House, which was at one time used in part for jail purposes.
Its site is now occupied by the Webster House.
Canandaigua Hotel, the largest and most commodious public house in the
county, was built in 1852 on the site formerly occupied by the still older hotel
of the same name, the latter having been burned in 1851.
The next year a number of local capitalists and prominent men succeeded
in having erected the large hotel, but during subsequent years the changes in
ownership and proprietors have been so frequent that it becomes difficult to
House was built in 1860-61 on the site of the still older Franklin House,
the latter having been burned in 1860.
House was built by and named for the brothers Masseth, and opened to the
public in the spring of 1875. In
addition to these principal hotels to which we have referred, there may also be
mentioned other existing hotels of the village--the Lake Breeze House, located
near the lake at the foot of Main street; the Washington Hotel, on Ontario
street; the Tracy House, on Main street; and Ransom's Hotel, at the corner of
Main street and the railroad avenue.
THE CANANDAIGUA PRESS
Ontario Gazette and Genesee Advertiser.--The
first paper in the present county of Ontario, was started at Geneva in April,
1797, by Lucius CAREY, and removed to Canandaigua in 1799.
Mr. CAREY continued to publish it until 1802.
John Keep GOULD, who then became the publisher, changed its name to The
Western Repository and Genesee Advertiser, and in 1803 it was again changed
to The Western Repository. James
D. BEMIS became interested in its publication in 1804 and in 1808 he issued it
as The Ontario Repository, and continued it until 1828. The paper was published by Morse & Ward, Morse &
Wilson, and Morse & Harvey until 1835, and until 1840 by Chauncey MORSE.
The last named was succeeded by Geo. L. WHITNEY, who, in January, 1856,
sold it to H. G. MOORE. The
following month the office was burned and the paper suspended.
In May following it was revived as The National New Yorker and Ontario
Repository by H. G. MOORE and Dr. B. F. TIFFT, and in May, 1857, it passed
into the hands of Geo. L. Whitney & Son, who sold it to Geo. W. FRENCH, of
Geneva, October 10, 1861.
Ontario Phoenix was
issued at Canandaigua by W. W. PHELPS in 1827, and was afterward published by R.
ROYCE, who soon after changed its name to The Freeman.
In 1836 it was united with the Repository.
Ontario Freeman was
established at Canandaigua by Isaac TIFFANY in 1803. In 1806 it passed into the hands of John A. STEVENS, who
changed its name to The Ontario Messenger. It was successively
published by Day & Morse, L. L. MORSE, B. W. JONES, and F. B. HOHN.
The latter was succeeded in November, 1845, by Jacob J. MATTISON.
On February 10, 1862, Mr. MATTISON bought The Repository of Mr.
FRENCH and consolidated the two papers. Mr.
MATTISON continued The Repository and Messenger until his death in 1879,
a part of the time having been associated with his son Clarence.
After Mr. MATTISON's death, his estate sold the paper to Wm. H.
UNDERHILL, of Bath. The latter
conducted it about three years, when he died, and his father, A. L. UNDERHILL,
became the owner about March, 1883, and managed the paper till December 15,
1885, when Herbert HUNTINGTON purchased it, and has since been sole owner.
Ontario County Times was
established January 1, 1852, in what was then known as the Southerland block, on
Main street, directly opposite the present office of the Times, by N. J.
MILLIKEN, its present senior editor and proprietor.
Here the establishment was wholly destroyed by fire in February, 1853.
In 1855 Mr. MILLIKEN sold the paper to Wilson MILLOR, by whom it was
continued as the Ontario Times. In
February, 1856, the establishment, then located in the Lyons block on the west
side of Main street, was again burned, and in May of the same year Mr. MILLIKEN,
having renewed the publication of the paper and found temporary quarters in what
was then known as the Bemis block, again set the wheels in motion. In 1858 the office was removed to the Phoenix block, on the
east side of Main street. Here it
remained until January 1, 1873, when it was removed to its present location on
the west side of the street.
MILLIKEN continued the sold proprietor and editor-in-chief until January 1,
1891, when he took his eldest son, Charles F. MILLIKEN, into partnership, and
the business has since been conducted under the firm name of N. J. Milliken
founded as the organ of the Free Soil wing of the old Whig party, the Times was
an active participant in the events that led to the formation of the Republican
party, and its editor took a prominent and honorable part in the early
proceedings of that political organization. For 20 years the Times was the only Republican paper
published at the county seat, and it continues to maintain the prominence in
circulation and influence that it won almost at the outset.
has given special attention to the compilation and publication of the
history of the county, and has called to its aid in this task the services of
such able local historians as Hon. George S. CONOVER, Dr. N. T. CLARKE, the late
Hon. H. W. TAYLOR, the Thomas M. HOWELL, esq., the late William HILDRETH, Mr.
Irving W. COATES, and the Rev. Anson TITUS. In its files are preserved a large amount of valuable
historical material, as well as a complete record of current local events.
was the first among the county weeklies of the State to inaugurate the
enterprise of gathering and publishing, the night after election, the complete
returns of the vote, and it was the first, also, among this class of papers, to
publish portraits and biographical sketches of men of home and national
prominence. From the very limited and crude equipment within the reach of
country printing offices at the time of its establishment, the Times office
has steadily progressed, until its plant now includes every facility requisite
in a first-class modern printing office and book bindery.
County Journal had its beginning with the year 1874.
The first number was really printed two weeks before the opening of that
year, but was dated ahead, as was the one of the following week, to offer time
to the first editor and publisher in which to establish the infant newspaper
upon a firmer basis before issuing the regular numbers upon the dates announced
in the title.
of journalism in Ontario county has thought to have proved that but two
contemporary newspapers could maintain an existence. Several journals had had a painful birth, a troubled
existence, and an early death. Notwithstanding
this history of newspaper calamities, George D. A. BRIDGMAN, in the year already
named, came to Canandaigua and fearlessly established the Ontario County
Journal. Not one promise of
help had been made the editor. The
first edition was struck off without a single name upon the subscription list;
yet at the end of the first year the paper had 800 bona fide paying
subscribers, and the Ontario County Journal was upon a firm, paying
office of publication was in the second story of the Hubbell block, on the west
side of Main street, at the point where the street is crossed by the
Central-Hudson road. The rooms were
those now occupied by Crandall Brothers, photographers.
was originally an Independent Republican paper. A change occurred, however, within the year, when it took an
advanced stand toward radical Republicanism.
That position has ever since been zealously maintained.
At no time in its history has the Journal stepped aside to espouse
factionalism, or relaxed its vigorous fight for the tenets of its party.
has twice changed its form. Started
as a folio seven column paper, it changed June 11, 1875, to an eight column
paper, and July 30, 1880, changed to its present form, with nine columns to the
In the year
1879, when the McKechnie block, occupying the corner of Main and Niagara
streets, was being erected, arrangements were entered into by which a special
building should be made for the Journal.
The work of construction was adapted to the end in view, and, as a
result, the Journal has occupied since the year 1880 the most
conveniently arranged and appointed office in Ontario county.
1886, Mr. BRIDGMAN sold the Journal to William G. DAVID, who had
previously been connected with the Oneida Dispatch.
Mr. DAVID had desired to secure control of the Lyons Republican, a
paper published at his home, and, accordingly, when in September, 1887, he was
able to purchase that paper, he sold the Journal to its former editor,
was thus again continued under its original proprietor until in July, 1891, Mr.
BRIDGMAN desiring to lay aside the task which had absorbed the energy of his
life, sold the paper again, this time to the present editors and proprietors,
Edwin P. GARDNER and William H. HAMLIN, both of Canandaigua.
in their hands, has increased in circulation until there are now over 2,000
names upon the mailing list. The
advertising department, with increased tariff, has been extended almost to its
limit. The job department of the
paper has had an unusual advance, the books showing nearly twice as much
business done during the year 1892 as in any single year preceding.
As has been
said before, the Journal is always radically, a non-factional Republican
paper. It never pauses to consider
the ultimate results financially, but, believing in the eternal justness of
Republican principles, it at all times advocates them with vigor. Published
Friday morning of each week, the Journal has the opportunity of carrying
to its readers later news than is contained in any other local paper, and places
that news before the eyes of its subscribers at a time when the agricultural
classes, who form a large number of its readers, have most convenient leisure
for its perusal.
briefly to other newspaper publications which have had an existence in the
county seat, we may mention The Republican, a weekly paper started by T.
M. BARNUM in 1824. Its life,
however, was quite brief.
Club, a campaign paper, was printed at Canandaigua in 1844, and continued a
the name of a monthly journal started in 1851, and, as indicated by its title,
was devoted mainly to the interests of the seminary then in operation in the
Copyright 2006 - 2011
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]