Ontario, New York
History and Genealogy

Biographies

A

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy.  This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.

If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.  Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas  

Return to Biography Index                         Return to Home Page

                         

ABBEY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 9

 

ABBEY, Benton G., Richmond, was born February 19, 1854.  His father, Hiram P., son of John, was born in 1822, and married Betsey, daughter of Benjamin GREGG, of Bristol, and settled on a portion of his father's farm.  Besides Benton he had two other children:  S. Elizabeth, born in 1860, and Robert B., now living in Bristol, where he is a farmer.  Hiram P. has about 550 acres in this county and several thousand acres in Texas, which he visits every winter.  Mrs. ABBEY died in 1888.  His son, Benton G., attended Canandaigua Academy and Geneseo Normal School.  In 1885 he married Jennie GARTON, of East Bloomfield, and they have two children:  Caroline, born August 1, 1886, and Bessie, born in January, 1888.  Mr. ABBEY engaged in the manufacture of drain tile in 1879, to which he has since added a cider mill and a fruit evaporator.  He has 20 acres in his homestead farm.

 

 

 

ABBEY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 6

 

ABBEY, Isaac J., Richmond, was born July 15, 1819, a son of John ABBEY, who came from Hopkinton, Mass., in 1800 with his father, Aaron, who fought at Bunker Hill and served to the end of the Revolution.  John married Elizabeth, daughter of Squire William BAKER.  Of their nine children, Sinai, Ann, John, Lora and Alta are deceased.  Those living are:  Olive, Sarah, Isaac J. and Hiram P.  John held many of the important town offices and was a representative citizen.  Isaac J. was educated in the district schools and spent his youthful days on his father's farm.  He married in 1841 Fanny M., daughter of Preston HAWES, of Brookfield, Mass., by whom he had three children:  John P., Mary E., Mrs. Simmons, of Centrefield, and Sandford W.  He married second Jane HOGAN, by whom he had no children.  In politics he is a Democrat.  He owns 232 acres at the home farm and lives on the site of the old home of his grandfather BAKER.  He built his present house in 1853.  John P., oldest son of Isaac J., was born March 6, 1844; he was educated in the common schools, at Lima Seminary and Canandaigua Academy.  He married in 1870, Julia PLIMPTON, of Worcester, Mass., and they have two children, Frank P., born in 1874, and Nellie, born in 1877.  Mr. ABBEY is engaged in farming, owning 130 acres on the road leading from Honeoye to Allen's Hill.  He has 26 acres of hops, 5 acres of raspberries, and a large apple orchard, besides five good farm buildings.  He is a Democrat and both he and his wife are Congregationalists.  Sanford Winslow ABBEY was born January 11, 1857.  He was educated at Canandaigua Academy.  In 1876 he married Adaline M., daughter of Sylvanus CULVER, of, Saline, Mich., and they have two children, Byron S., born in 1877, and Kenneth C., born in 1891.  He has carried on his father's farm for many years and is a hop-grower.  He is a Democrat and was member of assembly in 1890.

 

 

 

ADAMS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 5 - 6

 

ADAMS, Judge William H., Canandaigua, was born in Lyons, Wayne county, NY, March 27, 1841.  He was educated at Walnut Hill School in Geneva, of which the late Rev. Thomas C. REED was principal.  When about 18 years of age he entered the law office of Smith & Lapham at Canandaigua, where he was studying at the breaking out of the Civil War.  In the fall of 1861 he aided in raising a company for the 98th N. Y. Vols. and served two years, first as lieutenant then as captain, and as assistant adjutant-general on General De Forrest's staff.  At the expiration of his term of service in 1863 he was admitted to the bar, and settled in Canandaigua where he engaged in the practice of his profession.  He was for some time in partnership with Hon. Elbridge G. LAPHAM, but upon the election of Mr. LAPHAM to Congress, this relation was terminated and the business of the firm was continued by Mr. ADAMS.  In the fall of 1887 Mr. ADAMS was nominated on the Republican ticket for justice of the Supreme Court for the Supreme Judicial District, and was elected over John D. TELLER, of Auburn, by a majority of 8,602.  Judge ADAMS married, September 27, 1865, Charlotte L., daughter of Hon. E. G. LAPHAM, and their family consists of two sons:  Elbridge L., a practicing lawyer of Rochester, and Lewis II., a coal merchant of Canandaigua.

 

 

ADAMS, Lewis H., Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua in 1869, a son of Judge W. H. ADAMS.  Lewis H. was educated in the Canandaigua Academy under N. T. CLARKE and at Fort Hill Preparatory School.  He then spent two years as bookkeeper at McKechnic's Bank, and in 1888 he went to Tacoma, Wash., where he engaged in banking business, working his way up from extra hand to receiving teller.  He returned, and was secretary and treasurer for Wescott Brothers Co., Seneca Falls, NY, one year, March 1, 1892, he engaged with P. J. MALLORY as agent for coal, and the following May bought out the yard from him, which he still conducts.  He is now selling about 3,000 tons of Lehigh Valley coal per year.  Mr. ADAMS is secretary of the Protection Volunteer's club, and a member of the Canandaigua executive committee of the Republican clubs of Ontario county.

 

 

 

ADAMS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg  7 - 8

 

ADAMS, Arthur T., East Bloomfield, a native of Adams' Basin, Monroe county, born July 29, 1838, is a son of John, who was one of seven children of Jonathan ADAMS, who settled on a farm in East Bloomfield in 1795; a part of the farm is now owned by subject.  John was born in Massachusetts in 1794, and learned the gunsmith's trade.  He went to St. Charles, Mo., and there followed his trade for some time, then returned on horse back to New York, a distance of 1,000 miles.  Soon after he arrived he exchanged his pony for household furniture, manufactured in what was then "Mechanic's Hall," E. B., some of the chairs being still in existence.  He owned part of the farm settled by his father, which he sold to a brother and moved to Adams' Basin, where he engaged in growing silk-worms and in manufacturing silk.  He also worked at his trade and at saw-milling.  He served in the War of 1812, and drew a pension.  He was twice married, first to Philinda WILSON, a native of Bristol, by whom he had three sons and five daughters.  Second, to Margaret ADAMS, of Palmyra, by whom he had one child who died in infancy.  Mrs. ADAMS died in 1872, and Mr. ADAMS in 1884.  Arthur T., when 14 years old, came to East Bloomfield to visit relatives, and from that time lived and worked with his brother, Oliver Edson ADAMS, at the blacksmith's trade for 11 years, attending school winters at the academy.  At the death of his uncle, he fell heir to the farm of 95 acres, on which he has since lived.  Here he has put up good buildings and made many other improvements.  The wife of Arthur T. ADAMS is Laura PARMELE, a native of East Bloomfield, and a daughter of Nelson and Laura (CHILDS) PARMELE.  To subject and wife were born two children:  Woodbury B., born in 1868, educated in East Bloomfield Union School, and graduated from the Buffalo School of Pharmacy in 1891.  He is at present a druggist of Buffalo; and Nellie Blanche, a student in East Bloomfield Union School.  Mr. ADAMS is a Republican, but not an aspirant to office.  He is a natural musician, and for a number of years was leader in the Congregational choir, but at present he and his daughter are engaged with the M. E. Church choir, his daughter as organist.  A number of years ago Mr. ADAMS organized a male quartet in East Bloomfield, which is still in existence.  It is composed of Mr. ADAMS, Jesse WHEELER, William SPITZ, and Charles MUNSON.

 

 

ADAMS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 10

 

ADAMS, Gabriel, Canadice, a native of Sussex county, NJ, was born in 1829 and died August 7, 1876.  He came with his parents to this town about 1831.  His father, Joseph, died in 1837, aged 33 years, leaving seven children:  Gabriel, who married in 1851 Charlotte, daughter of Josiah and Lua B. JACKMAN, who were both born in Richmond.  Of their 10 children, 6 survive; Abner and Chloe (JOHNSON) and Mrs. ADAMS of this town.  The latter has two children.

 

 

ADAMS 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 245 - 246

ADAMS, Herbert H., Victor, was born in Perrinton, Monroe county, June 30, 1852.  He came with his parents to the town of Victor when he was was nine years old.  He was educated in the common schools and followed farming.  March 21, 1872, he married Florida I. ALDRICH, of this town; they had a son and daughter, Dora F. and Orrin F.  Mrs. ADAMS died August 17, 1891, mourned by a bereaved family and many friends.  Mr. ADAMS's father, William, was born at Barnstable, Mass., about the year 1806, and came to this State at an early day.  He married Matilda AUSTIN, of Cazenovia, and they have 7 children: David died at the age of 19 years; Frances, Freeman E., William W., Sarah J., John A. and Herbert H.  Mr. ADAMS's grandfather ADAMS was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.  His grandfather Austin, left Canada in time of the war, espousing his native country's career, and all his property there was confiscated.  Mr. ADAMS's late wife was the only daughter of Gilbert J. ALDRICH, one of the oldest and much respected families of the town.  

 

ADAMS  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 261 - 262

ADAMS, George H., Canandaigua, was born in Henrietta, Munroe county, October 28, 1836.  His grandfather, George, was born in Connecticut about 1773, and had two sons and two daughters.  He died in Victor, June 10, 1862.  George A., the oldest son, was born in Connecticut January 4, 1803, and came to this State when about 25 years of age.  He first settled in Henrietta, remaining until about 1845.  He lived four years in Parma and Ogden, and in 1850 bought a farm in Victor, where he died October 20, 1875.  He married in Connecticut February 26, 1824, Ruth LOOMIS, by whom he had 11 children.  Mrs. ADAMS died January 21, 1864, and he married second Asenath TODD, who died July 15, 1873.  He again married in 1874 Catherine WEIBORN, who survives him.  Of the 11 children of George A., six are still living: Ansel, a farmer of Victor; Hannah, widow of William McHURON, of Honeoye Falls; Harriet, wife of Henry BEMENT, of Victor; Myron O., a railroad man of Rochester; Alvira, wife of Andrew LANE, of Michigan; and George H.  The boyhood of the latter was spent in Monroe county.  He was educated in the common schools, and for his first business venture he bought a farm in Victor in 1861, where he lived two years, and then for 8 years conducted a plaster mill in Victor, where he lived until 1875; he then bought 115 acres in Canandaigua on Lot 77, where he has ever since lived.  He has here a beautiful residence, good outbuildings, and all modern improvements.  He married, December 10, 1863, Juniata, daughter of William TUCKER, of Cleveland, O.  They have one daughter, Nellie May, born April, 1867.  Mr. ADAMS is a republican, but has never been aspirant for political honors.

 

ADAMS 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 262

ADAMS, Benjamin F., East Bloomfield, was born in Richmond, September 19, 1823, a son of Ephraim and Lavinia (MOREY) ADAMS.  The grandfather, John, was a native of Dutchess county, where he died.  He was raised by General LIVINGSTON, and his children were: John, Bela, Richard, Sarah, James, Abigail, David, Noah, Thomas, Miriam, Elizabeth, Simeon, Ephraim, Abial, Miles.  Ephraim was born at Seven Pines, Dutchess county, March 29, 1793, was drafted and went as far as Niagara Falls in the War of 1812, when the war closed.  He came to Fabius, Onondaga county, where he married in 1820, then settled in Ontario county, where he followed his trade ten years and then took up farming.  About 1833 he moved to Livonia, where he purchased one of the first settled farms of the region, and died January 16, 1879.  He was a republican and was justice of the peace.  He (John) married a daughter of Samuel MOREY.  She was born July 31, 1797, and died May 26, 1884.  Their children were as follows: Mary, Thomas, B. F., Jane, Lucy, James B., Oscar M. who enlisted in Company K, 148th Regiment, and was made second lieutenant at Cold Harbor, where he led his company and was three times wounded, in the mouth, right arm and left shoulder; he was a brave and fearless soldier, and died in hospital at Washington; he was born in June, 1832; Ephraim, Samuel M.  At the age of 8 years Benjamin F. went on a farm, and received a common school education, supplemented by a course at Lima Seminary.  At the age of 21, he entered a store at East Bloomfield, where he remained nine years, then engaged in business for himself for four years.  In 1855 he bought 198 acres where he now resides.  He has been an active republican, and a leading member of the Congregational church for 30 years.  October 5, 1852, he married Lurinda, daughter of Taylor and Electa (BEEBE) GAUSS, and they have five children: Eva L., wife of E. D. GIBBS, of Michigan; Jane A., wife of Dr. E. L. PARDEE; Clara L., wife of Charles STODDARD, of Michigan; Mary E., wife of Heber E. WHEELER; and Frank M.

ADAMS   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 263

ADAMS, Edwin A., Farmington, was born in Farmington, October 7, 1856, was educated in the public schools and Macedon Academy, and has always followed farming.  He married twice, first Mary SOUTHWORTH, and had one daughter, Edith, who is attending school, and residing at home.  Mrs. ADAMS died July 16, 1886, and he married second, Jessie C., daughter of Marshall and Margaret McLOUTH , of Farmington, February 27, 1889.  They have one son, Vernon P., born October 1, 1890.  Mr. ADAMS's father, George A., was born in the town of Manchester, January 21, 1816.  He was educated in the common schools, and was always a farmer until he retired in 1885.  January 15, 1845, he married Cynthia, daughter of Calvin and Cynthia PARKER, of the town of Manchester.  They had four children: Mason, who married Nellie PETTY; Melvin and Manson (twins) both deceased, and Edwin A.  Mrs. George A. ADAMS died July 18, 1882, mourned by a bereaved husband and many friends.

 

 

ADAMS

History of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 161 

William H. ADAMS was born at Lyons, Wayne county, in 1841; studied law with Smith & Lapham in Canandaigua; enlisted in the Union army in 1861, serving first as Lieutenant, then as Captain, and then as Brigadier Adjutant General; married Miss Charlotte LAPHAM, daughter of Hon. Elbridge G. LAPHAM, in 1865; elected Supreme Court Justice in 1887; appointed a member of the Appellate Division, Fourth Department, in 1896; and became its presiding officer on January 1, 1900.  Died in Canandaigua, October 12, 1903.   

ADAMS

History of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 185

 

William H. ADAMS was born in Berkshire, Mass., in May 1787.  He began the practice of law in Canandaigua; served as an officer through the War of 1812 and moving to Lyons, served successively as District Attorney and County Judge of Wayne county.  He died while in Albany on business connected with his profession on April 7, 1865.

 

 

 

ADAMY 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 263

ADAMY, D.D.S., W. Lynn, Geneva, was born in Broome county, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1891, commencing practice in Geneva the same year.  His father, S. W. ADAMY, is a dentist in practice at Union, NY.

 

AINSWORTH

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg  8 - 9

 

AINSWORTH, Hon. Stephen Howard, West Bloomfield, was born in Burlington, Otsego county, March 6, 1809.  His father was Darius, who came from Connecticut about 1806, and whose grandfather, with two brothers, emigrated from England and were afterward soldiers in the Revolution.  Stephen's parents were poor, and his first business venture was as a dancing teacher, which he followed 13 years, then purchased a farm and established his parents thereon.  In 1839 he began the study of phrenology, and in 1841 began lecturing and lectured 5 years with marked success, being invited to lecture at colleges and schools, and to make examinations in prisons, as a result of his ability to describe the characteristics of persons entirely unknown to him.  When lecturing at Auburn, he was taken by a committee into the State's prison to examine heads blindfolded.  He told the crime that each prisoner had committed correctly---even to the kidnapping of a child, and was also able to tell two outsiders that they had committed no crime.  In 1846 he became a nurseryman in West Bloomfield, which he followed with great success until 1871, when he retired.  He is now enjoying a comfortable fortune at his pleasant home in West Bloomfield.  Mr. AINSWORTH was one of the first to embrace Abolitionism; and the first in the country to give to the world an improved and successful method for the artificial propagation of fish.  He was the one who recommended and secured the appointment of Seth GREEN, as fish commissioner, State Hatchery at Caledonia.  He has been an enthusiastic angler and has made records at fly casting, and has been honored with the following medals for his piscatorial services:  A silver medal from the New York State Poultry Society in 1869 for spawning race; was made life member of, and received a silver medal of the first class from the Society d' Acclimation of Paris, France, for improvements in fish culture. In 1836 he married Louise S. THOMPSON, of Lima.  They have one daughter, Isabella L., wife of R. M. PECK of this town.  He married second, in 1871, Susannah PERRY, his present wife, whose grandfather, a soldier in the Revolution, was one of the guards at the execution of Major Andre.  His home was in Keene, NH, to which town he had come from Massachusetts, where Mrs. AINSWORTH's father, Abel PERRY, was born.  Mr. AINSWORTH was a member of the State Legislature in 1861, and has been president of the Fruit Growers' Society of Northern New York; also president of the Ontario County Agricultural Society.

 

 

 

ALDRIDGE

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 133 - 135

In 1790 we find three families of the surname ALDRIDGE living in Newburg and Rochester, Ulster county, New York, Robert, Daniel and Gilbert ALDRIDGE being the names of the fathers.  Gilbert had three females in his family.  ALDRIDGE in some cases is identical with ELDRIDGE, in others with ALDRICH.

     ( I ) Gilbert ALDRIDGE was born, it is said in Orange county, New York, and died in 1864, at Brockport, New York.  He is buried in the Brockport cemetery.  Among his children was Gilbert T., mentioned below.

     ( II ) Gilbert T., son of Gilbert ALDRIDGE, was born at Victor, New York, March 4, 1819.  He learned the trade of blacksmith and followed it many years.  He had an iron foundry and manufactured wagons in the town of Victor.  He cast the first iron beam plows used in Victor, manufacturing being his principal business for a short time.  He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a steward, trustee, and superintendent of the Sunday school for thirty years.  He was always an active worker in the church and a man of exemplary character.  He died in July 16, 1899.  He married (first) Nancy CLINE, born in 1825, at Victor, died April 7, 1855.  He married (second), February, 1860, Julia (ALLEN) MAPLES, born in 1828, married (first) in 1851, Dr. Charles Henry MAPLES who was born in Connecticut, in 1825, a physician at Hartford, Connecticut, died aged 27 years.  Children of Gilbert T. ALDRICH by his first wife:  Albert C., born March 13, 1849, mentioned below; Angeline, born June 10, 1851, married George R. BUMPUS, living in Victor, a farmer; child, died in infancy.  Child of the second wife:  Arthur Gilbert, November 24, 1861; mentioned below.

     ( III ) Albert C., son of Gilbert T. ALDRICH, was born in Victor, March 13, 1849.  He attended the public schools of his native town and Brockport, the Collegiate Institute at Brockport, the Rochester Business University, taking special courses in law and laboratory work.  For 10 years he was engaged in teaching school, two years in the public schools, one year in Canandaigua Academy, and six years in the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, New York.  In 1884 he was elected school commissioner of the second district of Ontario county, and was reelected from term to term until he had served for a period of twenty-one years.  Though he devoted most of his time to the schools, he also conducted his farm during that time.  He has held many positions of trust and has had charge of the settlement of many estates.  His farm consists of eighty-four acres of excellent land located just north of the village of Victor.  In politics he is a Republican, in religion a Methodist, and he has been trustee, steward, and superintendent of the Sunday school of the Victor Methodist Episcopal church for over twenty-five years.

He married, June 16, 1880, Amelia BOUGHTON, born November 23, 1857, daughter of Walter and Caroline ( HART ) BOUGHTON, both of whom are deceased.  Her father was a farmer in Victor.  Children:  Caroline J., Gilbert W., Albert H., Harvey C.  The three eldest are graduates of the Victor high school.  Mr. ALDRIDGE died March 9, 1911.

     ( III ) Arthur Gilbert, son of Gilbert T. ALDRIDGE, was born in November 24, 1861.  He received his early education in the public schools of Victor and Lima, New York.  During his boyhood he worked on his father's farm, and at the age of nineteen took charge of the homestead.  When his father died he bought the shares of the other heirs and became the owner of the homestead.  He now owns one hundred and twenty acres of land in Victor.  In 1891 he made a specialty of raising seed-potatoes in a small way, and from year to year has increased his business until it has reached large proportions.  He finds a demand for his potatoes in all parts of the United States and Canada and in various other countries.  He conducts the business exclusively as a mail order business and sells direct to the farmers.  In politics he is a Republican.  He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Victor.  He is interested in municipal affairs and has served the town three years as assessor.

He married, December 22, 1887, Sarah Catherine BRIGGS, born January 17, 1861, daughter of Ichabod White and Sarah Catherine (CASE) BRIGGS.  Her father was born March 24, 1809, and died in August, 1892; he resided in the town of Macedon, where he followed farming many years and was the originator of the magazine club idea; was for many years postmaster of West Macedon.  Sarah Catherine CASE was born March 12, 1821, died September 21, 1901.  Children of Mr. and Mrs. BRIGGS:  Albert Hawks BRIGGS, born in 1841, resides at Macedon; Charlotte Miller BRIGGS, born in 1843, married R.A. McLEOD, resides in Macedon; Mary Jane BRIGGS, born in 1845, married E.G. ALLEN; Jeremiah B., lives in Macedon; Dr. Charles Menzies BRIGGS, a practicing physician at Fairport, New York, born in 1855, and Sarah Catherine, mentioned above.  Children of Mr. and Mrs. ALDRIGE:  1.  Terry BRIGGS, born October 13, 1888, graduate of Victor high school and the East high school of Rochester, New York.  2. LeRoy Edward, born June 2, 1890, educated in the Victor high school, the Rochester Business Institute and at Cornell University in which he took a special course; now engaged in farming.  3. Ellery Gilbert, born December 8, 1892.  4. Arthur McKinley, March 8, 1896.  5. Leslie J. (twin), born July 16, 1897.  6. Lucile K., twin of Leslie J., died August 28, 1897.  7. Charlotte Mary, born December 18, 1902.

 

 

ALDRICH

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 3

 

ALDRICH, Nathan, late of Farmington, was born in Farmington, May 25, 1824, was educated in the district schools and was a farmer.  He was justice of the peace more than 30 years, and a public-spirited citizen.  October 15, 1845, he married Lydia S., daughter of Edward and Harriet HERENDEEN, who was born April 30, 1824.  They had six children:  Helen M., born November 9, 1847; Charles H., born June 15, 1849; Harriet J., born June 14, 1851; Julius F., born January 2, 1854; Clarence E., born May 31, 1856; Mary E., born August 20, 1858.  Mr. ALDRICH died April 10, 1888.  Helen M. and Clarence E. are both deceased; Charles H. married Charlotte COBB of the town of Manchester, and has these children:  Ida L., Mary H., Edna G., Fred J., and Frank C.  Harriet, whose marriage is noted in another family; Julius F. married twice, first Abbie SMITH, descendant of one of the oldest families of the town.  She died August 12, 1882, and he married second Eva KING, formerly of the town of Manchester, and they have two sons:  Clarence G. and Floyd C.; Mary E. married Carlton A. DAVIS, of Farmington.  Mr. ALDRICH's father, John, was born in this town, October 30, 1790, and married Leonora ALDRICH, formerly of Massachusetts.  They had six children:  Silas, Edward, Nathan, Sally, Phoebe, and Adelia; and his father, Nathan, was born in Adams, Berkshire county, Mass., 1789, and came to this town, one of the first pioneers; sowed the first wheat sown in the town, and returned to Massachusetts.  In the spring of 1790 he came with his family, and later built the first framed house, which is now owned by Willis D. NEWTON, of Victor, who married his great-granddaughter.

 

 

 

ALDRICH

History of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 174 � 177

The surname ALDRICH is of ancient English origin, and the spelling varies considerably.  In the early records it was spelled ALDRIDGE and OLDRIDIGE, and some branches of the family still prefer the spelling ALDRIDGE.  The famous Rhode Island family and their descendants have for many generations used the spelling ALDRICH.

(1)               George ALDRICH was born in Derbyshire, England, about 1605.  He married in England, November 3, 1629, Katherine SEALD and came to New England in 1631 with his wife.  She was born about 1610, according to her depositions made June 18, 1670, where she ws sixty years old.  He was a tailor by trade.  He settled in Dorchester, Massachusetts, and belonged to the church there about 1636.  He was admitted a freeman, December 7, 1636.  In 1663 hew was one of the first seven persons to arrive in the township of Mendon, Massachusetts.  He sold his land in Braintree to his friend, Richard THAYER of Braintree, June 9, 1663.  He died at Mendon, MA, after the re-settlement following King Philip�s War, March 1, 1683.  His wife died January 11, 1691.  His will was dated at Mendon, November 2, 1682 and proved April 26, 1683.  He bequeathed to wife; to children Joseph, John, Jacob, Mary, Sarah, Barlett, Mercy Randall and Martha Dunbar.  Children: Abel, born 1633; Joseph, June 4, 1635; Mary, June 16, 1638; Miriam, June 29, 1639, died May 10, 1652; Experience, September 4, 1641, died February 2, 1642 at Braintree; John, April 2, 1644; Sarah, January 26, 1646, died February 17, 1665; Peter, April 14, 1648; Mercy June 17, 1650; Jacob, February 28, 1653, mentioned below; Martha, July 10, 1656, Miriam, March 16, 1659.

(2)             Jacob, son of George ALDRICH, was born in Braintree, February 28, 1653.  He settled in Mendon, MA and was a farmer there on the homestead all his life.  He died October 22, 1695.  He married November 3, 1675, Huldah THAYER.  Children born at Mendon: Jacob, May 28, 1676, mentioned below; Abel, January 27, 1677; Seth, July 6, 1679; Huldah 1680; Rachel, 1682, died young; Sarah 1683; David, May 23, 1685; Peter, October 17, 1686; John, November 17, 1688; Moses, April 1, 1691; Mercy, February 17, 1692, died same year; Rachel, December 27, 1694. 

(3)             Jacob (2), son of Jacob (1) ALDRICH, was born at Mendon, May 28, 1676, died about 1750.  His will was dated May 5, 1748, and his property was divided August 23, 1753.  He was a Quaker.  He married Mary _____.  Children: Jacob, his executor; Noah, mentioned below; Mary, married Israel TAFT of Upton; Hannah, married John HARWOOD; Experience, married Benjamin CRAGING; Margery, married Ichabod AMIDON of Mendon; Bethia, married Abraham FLETCHER of Mendon, MA.

(4)             Noah, son of Jacob (2) ALDRICH, was born in Mendon, MA about 1720.  He deeded lands in Mendon in 1772.  He appears to have moved soon afterward to New Salem, MA, of which he was a soldier in the Revolution in 1775 in captain John KING�S company, Colonel Benjamin RUGGLES, Woodbridge�s regiment.  In 1790 according to the federal census, he was living in Adams, Berkshire county, MA and had one son over 16, and four females in his family.  He married Rachel _______.

(5)             Nathan, son of Noah ALDRICH, was born about 1760-1765, probably in Mendon.  In 1789 he was living with his father in Adams and came to the town of Victor, Ontario county, NY, among the first settlers.  He sowed the first wheat sowed in that town and after preparing his home, returned to his old home in the Berkshires.  In the spring of 1790 he came with his family and later he built the first frame house in Victor.  He had sons: John, born in Victor, October 30, 1790, married Leonora ALDRICH, formerly of Massachusetts; Willis, mentioned below.

(6)             Willis, son of Nathan ALDRICH, was born in Adams or New Salem, MA.  He settled on a farm in Farmington, NY.  He married Edna SMITH and died in 1832.  His wife died in 1857.  Children: Urial, mentioned below; Ester; Reuben.

(7)             Urial, son of Willis ALDRICH, was born at Farmington, 1810, died November 24, 1883.  He was educated in the district school.  He owned a farm of 92 acres.   In politics he was a republican and in religion was of the Society of Friends.  He married Esther POWER in 1831 and she died in 1897.  Children: Arthur, died aged 6 months; Esther, born March 1832, married Norman P. BARTLES, who died in March 1901; Lydia, born January 1834, married Amos GARDINER and had two sons, Cassius and Roy Gardiner; Byron, born November 10, 1837, died in 1889 in Farmington; Cassius R., mentioned below; Gralette, born March 1842, married first, Fanny BOWERS and second, Mary WHIPPLE and his children: Ester, Leslie and one that died in infancy.

(8)             Cassius R., son of Urial ALDRICH, was born in Wayne county, NY, October 15, 1839.  He was educated in the Farmington district schools.  At the age of 18 years, he began to learn the trade of mason in Farmington.  After two years he came to Victor, where he worked at his trade for many years.  In the spring of 1904 he bought a farm of 125 acres a short distance out from the village of Victor.  In recent years he has been assisted in the management of the farm by his son, Milton U. ALDRICH.  In politics, Mr. ALDRICH is a republican.  He was a trustee of the village of Victor for four years.  He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Victor and one of the trustees. 

He married October 14, 1869, Cornelia BARTLES, born in Monroe County, NY, September 16, 1843, daughter of John W. and Mary (Bowers) BARTLES.  Her father was born in 1811, died in 1893; her mother died in 1873.  Her brother, Norman P. BARTLES, was born in 1834, married Esther ALDRICH and he died in 1867; her sister, Julia A. BARTLES was born in 1836, married John H. GILBERT of Palmyra, Wayne county, NY and had one child, Carrie, who lives in Texas; her sister Julia A., died in 1867;  her sister Mary E. BARTLES was born in November 1838, married A. B. COOPER and had one child, Eva COOPER; her sister Ardella BARTLES, was born October 18, 1840, died in 1863; Mrs. ALDRICH�s twin sister, Cordelia BARTLES, was born September 16, 1843, married C. W. LANE and had one child, Blanche;  her brother, George BARTLES, born in 1846, married Martha (Gardiner) COOPER; her brother, Frank BARTLES, born October 27, 1830, died December 28, 1908, unmarried.  Philip BARTLES was the father of John W., and grandfather of Mrs. ALDRICH.  Philip BARTLES married Margaret SHUTE of German decent.  Peter BOWERS was the father of Mary (Bowers) BARTLES.  Mr. and Mrs. ALDRICH had but one child, Milton U., born at Victor, September 12, 1870, married November 1893, Kate CORNFORD, born September 30, 1871 in Michigan, daughter of William and Catherine (Chandler) CORNFORD.  Children of Mr. and Mrs. Milton U. ALDRICH:  Helen C., born October 4, 1895; Louise C., September 30, 1899; Gerald, February 8, 1902.

 

 

ALLEN

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 6 - 7 

 

ALLEN, Erastus H., one of the leading farmers of Bristol, was born July 14, 1826.  His father was Miles, son of Jesse, a native of Hartland, Conn., who in an early day came to South Bristol and lived in Richmond, and moved to Ohio, where he died.  He was twice married, first to Lucy GILMAN, by whom he had 8 children.  His second wife was a Miss LANE and they had two children.  Miles ALLEN was born in 1798 in Hartland, Conn., and was a young boy when he came to South Bristol.  He married Marcia WILDER, whose maiden name was HILLS.  They had 3 sons and 2 daughters.  He died in 1850, and his wife in 1866.  E. H. ALLEN was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.  He engaged in farming and has since followed that occupation.  August 18, 1850, he married Mary INGRAHAM, of Bristol.  Her father, Junia INGRAHAM, was a native of Bristol.  He married Ann WHITESMARSH, of Dighton, Mass., and they had three daughters.  Mr. INGRAHAM died in 1850, and his wife in 1857.  Erastus H. ALLEN and wife had three daughters:  Mary A., Edna E., and Katie.  Mr. ALLEN has 295 acres of land, and settled where he now resides in 1851.  He followed farming and for the last 25 years has been a wool dealer.  Mr. ALLEN has always been a Republican, but has never aspired to public office.  He and family attend and support the Congregational Church of Bristol Center.

 

ALLEN

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 9

 

ALLEN, Clark, West Bloomfield, was born April 26, 1824, in the town of Russell, Lower Canada.  When he was about 8 years old his father, John, brought his family to Monroe county, and settled at the Lower Falls of the Genesee (Carthage) below Rochester.  In 1838 he came to this town with his family---wife and 11 children.  He was a blacksmith by trade, but worked at farming in this town.  Clark was educated in the district schools and West Bloomfield Academy.  He worked principally at farming, but for two years before his marriage he was on the road putting up hydraulics.  In 1850 he married Sarah E. PECK, daughter of Waterous PECK, and had two children.  Their son, Mahlon P., born in 1852, is a hardware merchant in Lima, and married Belle SCOTT of that place in 1886, and has two children.  Sarah Paulinah , his daughter, died at the age of 12 years (in 1868).  Mr. ALLEN lived in Michigan four years after his marriage, then returned to this State, and in 1863 bought the old homestead of his wife's father where he lived until 1876.  He resided in Lima 6 years, then bought the Jasper C. PECK farm of 260 acres on the east main road, where he now lives.  He still owns and works the other farm of 160 acres. 

 

 

ALLEN 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 261

ALLEN, M. D., Alexander D., Gorham, is a native of Gorham, born May 12, 1856.  His father, James H. ALLEN, M.D., is a son of John, a native of Montgomery county, who came to Steuben county and there lived and died.  James H. was born in Montgomery county, March 3, 1830, was educated in Albany Medical College, and in 1853 came to Gorham, where he has since had a very successful practice.  Dr. ALLEN married in Steuben county, Phoebe E., daughter of David STEVENSON.  Dr. ALLEN and wife had two children, Alexander D., and Margaret E., wife of Lewis T. RUF, a Presbyterian minister of Pittsford, Monroe county.  Dr. ALLEN is a member of the Ontario Medical Society and New York State Medical Society.  Dr. Alexander D. ALLEN was educated in Canandaigua Academy and in Syracuse Medical College, graduating from the latter in 1880, since which time he has practiced his profession in Gorham.  He is a Democrat in politics, and has been supervisor of Gorham five years in succession, and was chairman of the board in 1891-2.  He is a member of Ontario County Medical Society, and is a member of E. K. O. R.  In 1883 Dr. ALLEN married Annie T., daughter of H. L. SUYDAM, an artist of Geneva.  The children of Dr. ALLEN are: James S., Elizabeth H., William A. and Hiram L.

 

 

ALLEN

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 263 - 264

ALLEN, William H., Canandaigua, was born in Bristol, March 7, 1825.  The grandfather, Chauncey, was a native of Stratford county, Conn., who came with family to Ontario county in 1792, locating on land in the town of in Bristol.  Chauncey married Rhoda SHEPARD, of Connecticut, and they had five sons and two daughters. Howell, the father of William H., was born in Bristol in 1799.  He had a common school education and followed farming in Bristol.  When his father came to this country he took up 320 acres, and Howell had the management of this until his father's death, when the property was divided, and his share was his home until he died in 1864.  He married Sophia LEWIS, of Bristol, and they had 8 children, five of whom are living: Austin, a coal dealer of Canandaigua; Shephard, a farmer of Battle Creek, Mich.; Levi, of Wayne county; James, of Cheshire; and William H.  The latter was educated in the common schools and Lima Seminary, and took up farming.  For a number of winters in his younger days he taught school.  His first purchase of a farm was in 1853, when he (Wm H.) bought 50 acres in Bristol.  He gradually added to this until he had 200 acres, and owned besides 300 acres in other farms.  In the fall of 1882 he moved to Canandaigua, and the next year bought 10 acres in Bristol street, where he has erected a beautiful residence.  Mr. ALLEN is a republican, and while in Bristol was superintendent of schools and assessor.  He married in 1855 Sarah, daughter of Benjamin GREGG, of Bristol, and they had two children: Ida, wife of Eugene SIMMONS, of Canandaigua; and Nettie, wife of Alvin HIGHBY, of Buffalo.  Mrs. ALLEN died February 17, 1888, and he married second, in November, 1889, Minnie, daughter of William W. HADLEY, of Brooklyn, NY, and widow of Cyrus BRIGGS of Honeoye.

 

ALLEN  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 268 -269

ALLEN, Ellery G., Farmington, was born in the town of Oppenheim, Fulton county, November 12, 1843, and came to Farmington with his parents July 5, 1848.  He was educated in the public schools and Lima Seminary.  April 14, 1870, he married Jennie M., daughter of Ichabod W. BRIGGS of Macedon, Wayne county, and they have 6 children: Jennie M., George S., Lewis F., Charles E., Willard H., and Carrie B.  Mr. ALLEN has been supervisor of his town 6 years and chairman of the board one year, justice of the peace 8 years, and has had charge and settled up 19 different estates.  Mr. ALLEN's father, George S., was born in Greenfield, Saratoga county, August 28, 1802.  He was educated in the public schools and is a farmer.  September 14, 1826, he married Sally BOWEN of that county, and had 5 children: one died in infancy; Lydia J., who married Orlando WHITE; Phoebe B., who married Joseph H. REYNOLDS; Lewis F., who married December 19, 1873, and Ellery G.  His father died February 16, 1874, and his mother June 8, 1885.  His grandfather, Daniel L. ALLEN, was born in Massachusetts, July 31, 1753, and married Lydia SMITH, who was born September 29, 1762, and had five children.  For his second wife he married her sister, Mary SMITH, and had six children.  Mrs. ALLEN's father, Ichabod W. BRIGGS, was born in Schoharie county, March 24, 1809, and married Sara C. ____, and had 9 children: Albert H., Lottie M., Jennie M., Jeremiah B., Charles M., Kittie S., George O., Ichabod and Margaret (twins).  This family is the fifth generation from George ALLEN, who came from England in 1635, locating at Weymouth.

 

 

ALLEN

           Illustrated Historical & Biographical Record of Lenawee Co., Michigan;  Knapp & Bonner, Adrian, MI 

1903,  pg 206; contributed by Ginny

 
 John ALLEN  b. Farmington, Ontario Co., NY 19 April 1829.   Came to Michigan 1848 and settled in Medina Village, Lenawee Co. MI.  His father, Timothy Allen, was born near Bennington, VT. in March 1788 and was son of Elijah Allen, a native of VT and nephew of Gen. Ethan Allen, a native of VT and nephew of Gen. Ethan Allen. 
Timothy Allen, when he was about 24 in 1812, moved to Farmington, Ontario Co. NY where he followed his trade of brick and stone mason.  In 1848 came to Lenawee Co. Michigan until his death in Jan 1857.  He married about 1815 (note: this could be 1813, as his first child was born 1814) to Prudence Eddy (note: daughter of Elikim and Eunice Farrand Eddy) and they had seven children, six who came to Michigan:  Marvin, b. 1814 m. Mary Gardner;
Seymour b. abt 1816 m. Amanda ?;   Franklin b. 1818; Erasmus Darwin b. 1823 m.1846 to Eliza Macomber; Thomas B. b. 1825/27; John b. 1829 m.1852 Jane Williams.  [Please note:  the dates and details of the children were taken from a ALLEN family Bible in my possession]

 

 

AMBUSH

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 4

 

AMBUSH, Stephen J., Geneva, was born in Prince George's county, MD., in 1830.  He was owned by Miss Amelia FRASIER of that county.  In 1852 she gave him his freedom.  He resided in Washington 20 years, and in 1855 married Miss Martha E. TAYLOR, of Geneva, formerly of his native State.  They have two children:  Douglass C. and Harriet E.  The family resides on West street and owns good property.

 

 

ANDERSON 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg. 496 -  498 

ANDERSON, George Bradley, The leading dry goods merchant of Canandaigua, was born in that town on the 18th of April, 1841.  His father was James ANDERSON, a native of Scotland, and one of the early settlers of Canandaigua.  His mother was a woman of Southern birth, and from this excellent parentage the son inherited those sterling qualities which have enabled him to reach an enviable degree of success.  He obtained in the common schools and the Rushville Academy a good English education, and determined upon mercantile business as his life work.  After a period as clerk he became in 1865 a member of the firm of Squires, Anderson & Co. in Canandaigua, which partnership continued for 5 years.  It may as well be said right here that the cardinal principle of his business career has been integrity in every business relation; and he is a firm believer that in no other manner can any worthy and permanent success be obtained.  This fact and some natural foresight and that sagacity which prompts men to do the right thing at the right time, have contributed largely to his prosperity.  When the business was first established, the science and practice of liberal advertising was almost unknown in small towns.  Mr. ANDERSON was one of the first to grasp the full advantages of a liberal use of the columns of newspapers and other approved avenues for that purpose, and to this day, after nearly 30 years of active business life, this element of success receives his most careful personal attention.  Believing, moreover, that every person, high or low, rich or poor, is entitled to the same kind of treatment at the hands of the tradesman, he early adopted what has been known as the "One Price System," and was the pioneer in that feature of trade in Canandaigua.  In 1880 the partnership alluded to was broken by the retirement of Mr. ANDERSON, and his opening a store in the Hubbell block, which he successfully conducted as it then existed for about five years.  He then bought the remainder of a stock of goods of Moore Brothers and removed to their former store No. 224 Main street, where he continued nine years, when to the consternation of his friends he leased the McKechnie Block store, and taking immediate possession, paid rent on both stores for a year.  It was a shrewd business move, and those who at first doubted its wisdom saw the venture entirely successful.

This is an example of his boldness in business operations.  He believes that when he has once resolved to adopt a certain measure, the wise course is to make the most of it, at whatever cost.  At the present time Mr. ANDERSON is at the head of one of the largest and best equipped dry goods houses in the interior of the State, and carries a stock of goods that is greater in value and more comprehensive in character than many much more pretentious city establishments.  The example of Mr. ANDERSON's long business career to young men, and of the principles upon which his success has been built up, his persistent adherence to one line of industry, and his fair treatment of his patrons on all occasions, is one that will bear patient study and emulation.

In the political affairs of Canandaigua, its educational, religious, and social circles, Mr. ANDERSON has always shown a proper public spirit and earnest desire for the welfare of the community.  He has mingled little in political contests, but has given consistent and continuous support to the Republican party.  During the war period he gave freely of time and money in aid of the government, and was prominent in the local efforts to furnish the several quotas of the town for the army.  The academy and other schools of Canandaigua have found in him a faithful and generous helper, and his efforts have always tended to the advancement of the community towards better educational facilities, better government, and more elevated morality.  He and his family are active members of the Congregational Church, to the support of which, and the general up building of religious sentiment and practical Christianity, they have consistently given encouragement.

The marriage of Mr. ANDERSON to Charlotte A. LELAND, of Seneca Falls, took place in 1872.  They have three sons: Fred L., Charles W., and G. Elmer.

 

 

ANDREWS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 10 - 11

 

ANDREWS, Cornelius J., D. D. S., Canandaigua, was born in Canadice, October 7, 1845, a son of George, a farmer of that town.  The school days of our subject were spent in his native town, and when he was 16 years of age he began teaching school, following this until 1864, when he entered Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, spending two years; after a year's teaching he entered the State Normal School at Oswego, from which he graduated in 1867.  After receiving his diploma he began teaching in Canandaigua, and after a year owing to failing health he went west, and accepted a position as assistant civil engineer on the Illinois Central Railroad.  He was there about a year and a half, when, his father dying suddenly, he was called home.  This same year, 1870, he began the study of dentistry in the office of Dr. A. G. COLEMAN, of Canandaigua.  He was with him as a student for one year, and then as a partner for four years.  At the end of this time he went for one year to the Philadelphia Dental College, from which he graduated March 1, 1877.  He resumed his partnership with Dr. COLEMAN for two years, and May 1, 1879, he opened a business for himself, which has proven very successful.  Dr. ANDREWS is a member of the Seventh District Dental Society, and of Canandaigua Lodge, No. 294 F. & A. M.  He married, November 12, 1872, Maria M. BAILEY of Spencerport, and they have had three daughters:  Bertha G., Jessie M., and Maud E.  Dr. ANDREWS is a prominent member of the M. E. Church, and for the last 11 years has been a trustee of Canandaigua church.  Dr. ANDREWS also conducts a farm on the lake shore of 100 acres, half of which is vineyard.  The office is at 232 Main street.  Residence 92 Gibson street.

 

 

ANDREWS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 10

 

ANDREWS, William R(oyal), Bristol, was born in Bristol, November 3, 1867.  His father was George A., son of Royal A., whose father was Samuel ANDREWS, born in Bristol, Mass., July 2, 1770.  He married Dorcas ALDRICH, born in Northbridge, Worcester county, Mass., July 17, 1867.  They came to Bristol and settled.  In early life he was a sailor, and also a cooper and farmer.  He died in Bristol.  Royal A. was born in Bristol, May 30, 1799, and married Hannah EVARTS, a native of Bristol, born December 24, 1801.  They had three sons and six daughters:  Elkannah, George A., and Samuel A., who died in California, December 1, 1850; Minerva H., who died March 11, 1875; Catherine S., who died August 5, 1857; Mary, who died July 5, 1848; Charlotte and Melissa (twins) reside in Michigan, and Achsah, wife of John B. WHEELER.  Mr.  ANDREWS was a Quaker, as were his parents.  He  (Royal) died July 14, 1870, and his wife October 24, 1886.  George A. was born October 27, 1823, and was educated in East Bloomfield Academy, and taught school a number of years, but his principal occupation was farming.  He owns 140 acres of land.  June 13, 1865, he married Malvina A., daughter of William W. BRIGGS, of Bristol.  She was born January 20, 1840.  Their children were:  William R., Lenora, wife of Harry BLISS, and Cora D., wife of Carroll E. SIMMONS.  Mr. (GeorgeO ANDREWS died in Bristol, January 7, 1889, and his wife, January 21, 1893.  William R. ANDREWS was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of Bristol.  He owns 105 acres of land, part of the old homestead, and is an adherent member of the Farmers' Alliance and the E. K. O. R. No. 29, and is a member of the Universalist church of Bristol.

 

 

ANDRUSS

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 125 - 127 

Cornelius Jay ANDRUSS, for many years a dentist in Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, traces his paternal line back to the early colonial settlers.

     ( I ) John ANDRUS, immigrant ancestor, came from Essex county, England, and settled at Tunxis, later named Farmington, Connecticut, in 1640.  A complete history of the family will be found in "Andrews Memorial;" compiled by Alfred ANDREWS, of New Britain, Connecticut, and published by A.H. Andrews & Company, of Chicago, Illinois, in 1872.  John ANDRUS married Mary ________.

     ( II ) Joseph ANRUSS, fourth son of John and Mary ANDRUS, was born May 26, 1651.

     ( III ) Dr. Joseph ( 2 ) ANDRUSS, eldest son of Joseph ( I ) ANDRUSS, was born in 1678.

     ( IV ) William, second son of Dr. Joseph ( 2 ) ANDRUSS, was born at Wethersfield, Connecticut, May 24, 1710. 

     ( V ) Miles, eldest son of William ANDRUSS, was born May 22, 1735.

     ( VI ) Benajah, third son of Miles ANDRUSS, was born at Newington, Connecticut, November 13, 1769; died at Bluff Point, New York, July 24, 1838.  He married Abigail NASH, born February 20, 1776, and had a family of seven sons and four daughters.

     ( VII ) Zebina C., third son of Benajah and Abigail ( NASH ) ANDRUSS, was born at Butternuts, now Gilbertsville, New York, August 12, 1794.  His occupation was that of farming.  He took an active interest in political affairs, was at first a member of the Whig party, later of the Republican; served as magistrate for many years and also as judge of Yates county court.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  He married, September 20, 1818, Almira GARLICK, born at Norwich, New York, February 10, 1799.  Children:  John PELLETT, Miles Benajah, George, see forward, and Charles York.

     ( VIII ) George, third son of Zebina C. and Almira (GARLICK) ANDRUSS, was born at Bluff Point, Jerusalem, New York, January 4, 1824; died at Canadice, New York, April 2, 1870.  He was a farmer.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  As a member of the Republican party, he served as justice of the peace for a period of sixteen years, and was supervisor of the town of Canadice for several years.  He married, in Canadice, New York, July 11, 1844, Sarah, born in Barrington, New York, March 12, 1827, daughter of Cornelius and Esther (ANGEL) TER BUSH, the former born April 15, 1786, died October 21, 1870, the latter born May 10, 1795, died January 2, 1872.  Children:  Cornelius Jay, see forward; Esther, born February 13, 1847; Almira, May 12, 1849; Frank Zebina, May 31, 1851, died October, 1875; Gertrude May, March 2, 1867.

      ( IX ) Cornelius Jay, eldest child of George and Sarah ( TER BUSH ) ANDRUSS, was born in Canadice, Ontario county, New York, October 7, 1845.  His preparatory education was acquired at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, and he then attended Cornell University, subsequently studying dentistry at the Philadelphia Dental College, from which he was graduated in 1877.  Commencing in 1861 he taught for the larger portion of seven years in the district schools of Ontario and Livingston counties, New York, and for two years was deputy county surveyor of Lee county, Illinois.  He commenced the practice of dentistry in association with Dr. A.G. COLEMAN, November 1, 1870, and May 1, 1879, opened an office in the same location he has occupied since that date.  His political opinions are those of the Republican party, and he served about three years as trustee of the first ward, and as president of the village of Canandaigua in 1903-04.  He is a member of Canandaigua Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and an attendant at the services of the Methodist Episcopal church, of Canandaigua, New York, of which he has been president of the board of trustees continuously since about 1890. 

Dr. ANDRUSS married, at Canandaigua, New York, November 12, 1872, Maria M., born in Chili, New York, April 17, 1846, daughter of James and Mary Ann (BARNES) BAILEY, the former a mechanic and a soldier of the Civil War.  Children:  1. Bertha Gertrude, born February 27, 1874, educated in the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary and the Rochester Business University; married William E. MARTIN, and has had children:  Henry A., Margaret E. and Evelyn Louise.  2. Jessie May, February 12, 1876, educated in the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, and made a specialty of music and literature; married Dr. William H. MARKS, and has had children:  Hazel, Dorothy and William A.   3.  Maude Evelyn, August 2, 1878, educated in the Syracuse University and the Pratt Institute; married William W. MACON and has had children:  Louise Olivia and Edith Marie.

 

 

 

ANSLEY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 

 

ANSLEY, Alanson, Geneva, was born on the pre-emption line at the old homestead (which has been in the family about 100 years), was educated in the public schools, and is a farmer, excepting about 20 years spent in the agricultural implement business in Geneva, but is now on the farm again engaged principally in fruit culture.  On September 15, 1847, he married Mary A., daughter of Joseph and Mary ELDESTIN, and have had three children, Cynthia M., Susie, and Horatio Seymour.  Susie died at the age of 9 years; Cynthia married and has two daughters, Susie and Anna M.  Horatio Seymour ANSLEY graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1890, but at present is doing business for a New York manufacturing company.  William ANSLEY was born in Massachusetts in 1773, removed with his parents to Pennsylvania when about 4 years old, was educated and reared a farmer.  In 1792 he in company with Powel CARPENTER walked from Lackawanna county, Pa., with nothing but the clothes they wore, and their axes on their shoulders, settled together in Ontario county, NY, on the pre-emption line, five miles southwest of Geneva.  Geneva then contained one frame and some half dozen log houses.  Mr. CARPENTER removed a few years later from here to Monroe county, and settled in the town of Scottsville, where he spent the remainder of his days.  He served a number of years as one of the judges of that county.  In 1794 William ANSLEY married Esther WITTER, and they had 10 children.  His first wife died in 1817.  For his second wife he married Margaret (SAYRE) GRAMESLY.  They had 6 children:  Alanson, Margaret, Matilda, James, Marcus, and Marvin.  Alanson, Margaret, and Marcus are still living.  Marcus occupies the old homestead, which was built and opened as a country hotel in 1794, and used for that 40 years.  It still stands firm and solid, and promises all right for years to come.  William ANSLEY died in 1840, and his wife in 1865.  

 

 

ANSLEY 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 263

ANSLEY, Marcus, Geneva, was born on the pre-emption line at the old homestead, March 15, 1826.  He was educated in the public schools and in early life was a farmer.  He began the nursery business in 1870, and has 120 acres in nursery and fruit orchard, having 12,000 trees bearing fruit.  He has married twice, first Mary J. DORMAN of Seneca, by whom he had four children: Frank S., Flora, Lucy A., and Marcus D.  Mrs. ANSLEY died in 1864, and he married second, February 20, 1867, Mrs. Cornelia M. (ATWATER) MOORE.  They had three daughters: Mary L., who died aged 21 years; M. Belle, and Minnie C., both residing at home.  Mrs. ANSLEY's first husband, William B. MOORE, was born in the eastern part of this State.  He was educated in the public schools and was a jeweler and farmer.  February 20, 1867, he married Cornelia M. ATWATER, of Lyons, Wayne county, and they have had three children: William S., Fred H., and Clinton B.

 

 

 

 

APPLETON

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 4 - 5

 

APPLETON, Richard W., East Bloomfield, a native of Norfolk, England, was born July 8, 1840.  He is a son of Robert and Maria APPLETON, natives of Norfolk, England, who had two sons and five daughters.  Subject of sketch was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.  At the age of 12 years he came to Ontario county.  He lived one year with an uncle in West Bloomfield, and then for three years worked on a farm in Richmond.  He then learned the miller's trade, and after three years learned the shoemaker's trade and followed it two years.  The Civil War then broke out, and April 19, 1861, he enlisted in Co. D, 33rd New York Volunteer Infantry, and served two years.  He was in 13 engagements, the principal ones being at Williamsburg and Seven Day before Richmond.  He was wounded at Antietam and taken to Frederick City hospital, and April 12 was transferred to a hospital in Baltimore, whence he was taken to David's Island, where he remained until his discharge, May 25, 1863.  He then followed shoemaking in Richmond, Bristol and East Bloomfield Station until 1873, when he established a boot and shoe store at the latter place.  In 1885 he added a full line of groceries and men's furnishing goods, and has since done a very successful business.  He is a Democrat, and was postmaster at East Bloomfield Station during Cleveland's administration.  Mr. APPLETON married Mary A., daughter of Richard APPLETON, and they had two children:  Frank R., a teacher of music, and who assists in his father's store; and Agnes M., who is a student in East Bloomfield Union School.  Mr. APPLETON is a charter member of A. O. U. W. of East Bloomfield, and he and family attend St. Peter's Episcopal Church, of which Agnes M. is a member.  Mr. APPLETON assisted in building the church and is one of the vestrymen.  

APPLETON, Richard, East Bloomfield, a native of Worsted, Norfolk county, England, was born December 10, 1845, a son of Richard, a native of the same place, born September 18, 1800, who was a weaver for many years.  He also, while in England, kept a hotel.  His wife was Elizabeth FRARY, a native of Worsted, England, by whom he had six sons and seven daughters.  In 1851 Mr. APPLETON, wife and nine children came to America;  seven of the children survive.  The first winter Mr. APPLETON resided in East Bloomfield.  He then purchased a place in Bristol, which he traded for a 100 acres.  After a few years he sold this at a profit, and purchased 76 acres in East Bloomfield, and here he erected a residence, which he sold later.  He and his wife are members of the Church of England.  Mr. APPLETON died March 28, 1882, and his wife February 12, 1885.  Richard APPLETON, Jr., was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.  He started in life by working by the month, though he had none of his wages until 20 years of age.  He then farmed two years, and later learned carpentry, which he followed eighteen years.  He and his brother William were in partnership as carpenters for many years, and during that time made several purchases of houses and lots.  They finally separated in business in 1887.  Our subject now owns 130 acres, on which in 1890 he erected a residence.  December 15, 1870, Mr. APPLETON married Mary A. WOLSTON, a native of Hickland, Norfolk county, England, born September 29, 1851, and a daughter of George and Sabina WOLSTON, of England, who came to America in 1852, and settled in East Bloomfield.  The children of subject are:  Fred R., G. Wallace, Howard C., Alice L., and Carl H.  Mr. APPLETON is a republican.  

APPLETON, William, Canandaigua, was born in Norfolk, Eng., November 16, 1847, and was in his third year when his father, Richard, came to this country.  He first settled in E. Bloomfield where he lived about ten years, then moved to Bristol and lived about eight years, moving back to Bloomfield where he bought a farm, and spent the balance of his days.  He died in 1883 aged 83 years.  He married in England, Elizabeth FRARY, and they had 13 children, six of whom are living.  William was the youngest son.  He was given a good education in the common schools and assisted on the farm until twenty, when he went as an apprentice to learn carpentry.  After serving three years he went into business for himself, and for 20 years has followed the trade, building many fine residences.  He generally employed four hands and was always found with plenty of work.  He has never taken an active interest in politics, but is a man respected and looked up to by all.  He has for many years been the trustee of Centerfield school.  In 1889 he bought the farm of 146 acres where he now resides, making 186 acres he now owns.  He married in December, 1871, Lena N. WOOLSTON, of E. Bloomfield, and they are the parents of two children:  George W., and Irene L.  

 

 

 

ARCHER  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 263

ARCHER, Dr. W. W., Clifton Springs, was born in Hopewell, Ontario county, May 24, 1846.  He received an academic education and eventually graduated from the Geneva Medical College, January 27, 1867.  He commenced practice in Phelps in connection with Dr. CARPENTER.  After two years there he removed to Clifton Springs, where he has since resided and been actively engaged in the practice of his profession.  Dr. ARCHER is surgeon in the U. S. Pension Board, and is coroner of the county.  His wife was Miss Hattie YOUNGLOVE.

 

 

ARNOLD

History of Ontario County, NY, published 1878, pg. 196 

Daniel ARNOLD was born in the town of Farmington, Ontario County, December 22, 1800.His father, Pardon ARNOLD, removed from Massachusetts in February, 1800, and settled on the farm now occupied by Mryon ALDRICH in said town.The place was ten a dense forest, which he cleared, and made all the improvements ever made on it.D. ARNOLD remained under the parental roof, working on the farm in the summer, and teaching school in the winter, until he was married, April 29, 1829, to Betsey PIERCE, with whom he lived until April 20, 1876, when she departed this life.She possessed in an eminent degree the virtues of industry and economy, piety and benevolence. 

D. ARNOLD held the office of commissioner of common schools the most of the time from 1825 to 1843.When the law creating the office of superintendent of common schools was enacted he was appointed to that office, which he held continuously until April, 1853, when he was elected supervisor of the town.He then resigned the office of superintendent of schools, and accepted that of supervisor.He held that office until February, 1860, when, on the written request by the board of supervisors, he resigned said office, and was immediately appointed by said board a county superintendent of the poor, which office he held for four years.He also served the town as assessor for seven years.From 1840 to 1870 he was engaged continuously in settling the estates of deceased persons and acting as guardian for minor children.In politics he was a Whig till the extinction of that party.He is at present, a republican, and has been since the formation of said party.In March, 1832, he united with the Baptist church of Manchester, and has remained a member to the present time.From 1870 he has lived a quiet and retired life, on the farm of which he settled in 1829, every ready to cross the last river at the bidding of his Devine Master.   (Daniel and Betsey are buried in the Manchester Village Cemetery, next to the Baptist Church) 

ARNOLD 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 262 - 263

ARNOLD, Lovel, Gorham, was born in Gorham, October 4, 1829, a son of Isaac A., a son of Abram, born August 6, 1767, who was an early settler of Montgomery county, also of Gorham, coming here about 1814.  His wife was Lorain SIPPERLY, born June 15, 1775, in Montgomery county.  Her father, a Revolutionary soldier, was killed by the Indians while on his way to join his regiment.  Abram ARNOLD had seven sons and five daughters, and died May 24, 1825.  His wife died in September, 1859.  Isaac A. was born January 15, 1795.  He came to Gorham at the age of 19, and married Sallie HUTCHINSON, whose father was one of the earliest settlers of the place.  Isaac A. and wife had six sons and two daughters.  He first settled in Yates county, then in Gorham.  In 1829 he settled on the farm now occupied by his son Lovel, and here lived till 1865.  He was a deacon in the Baptist church many years.  In 1865 he moved to Reed's Corners, where he died January 15, 1866.  Lovel ARNOLD was educated in Madison University and at Rochester.  His health failing, he engaged in farming, which has since been his occupation.  He makes a specialty of breeding Shropshiredown sheep, Durham cattle and Clydesdale horses.  January 6, 1854, he married Caroline A., daughter of George and Ann Eliza (HOCUM) CLARK, natives of Potter, and they have one son, Frank G. ARNOLD, who resides with his parents.  Mr. ARNOLD is one of the largest real estate owners in Gorham, also owning land in Yates county.  Since 1872 he has been a Democrat.

 

 

ASHLEY  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 223

ASHLEY, Frederick Leonard, Richmond, was born March 25, 1845, on the old homestead.  His grandfather, Noah 1st (son of William, who lived in Westfield, Mass.), was born in Sheffield, Mass., and went first to Vermont, where he was a merchant, then to Richmond in 1802.  He took up 185 acres of land on lot 32, built first a log house on the east side of the road, and in 1816 built the substantial farm house now occupied by Frederick L., and resided there until his death in 1841, aged nearly 72 years.  Squire ASHLEY was for many years agent for the sale of the PHELPS and GORHAM lands in this town, and later was manager of a union store at the Center.  He held the offices of supervisor and justice of the peace.  His wife was Betsey SHELDON of Richmond, Mass.  His brother William lived here for many years and finally moved to Ashley, Mich., the place taking its name from the family.  Noah 1st had ten children.  Noah 2d was born on the homestead and was a farmer all his life.  He married Minerva TISDALE, daughter of Leonard TISDALE of Blodgett's Mills, Cortland county, in June, 1832, and their children were: Almira Jane, Mary Evelyn, Clinton S., Noah Tisdale, Frank A., Frederick L., Ellen Minerva, and Augusta V.  Frederick L. was educated at the district school, Lima Seminary, and at Eastman's Business College, and has been a farmer.  He married in 1876, Fanny E. BRIGGS, daughter of John G. BRIGGS, and their children are Frederick CARLETON, born August 17, 1878, and Evelyn Minevra, born December 4, 1882.

 

 

ASHLEY

History of Ontario County, NY, published 1878, pg. 236 

Noah ASHLEY emigrated to this town (Richmond) from Rutland, Vermont, but was previously a resident of Sheffield, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, that being his native place.In the fall of 1802 he came to view the "goodly land", making the journey on horseback, and was so well pleased with the prospect that he purchased a farm of one hundred and eighty-five acres, lot No. 32, located near the center of the town, on which was a small clearing and a log house occupied by a man named FULLER.The price paid for the land was five dollars per acre.His son, Noah ASHLEY, Jr., now resides on the old homestead.Early in 1803 he moved with his family, consisting of his wife and two young children, Eliza and Hiram.Although educated to other pursuits, having left his home in Sheffield, Massachusetts, for Vermont, at he age of seventeen, to act as salesman in the store of a relative, in which capacity he served both in Vermont and in his native state for a number of years, also as a teacher in the town where he was born, Squire ASHLEY, as he was called in his new home, soon made his farm of 185 acres a source of liberal income.Possessing an indomitable will and fixedness of purpose (in which traits of character his faithful wife largely shared), he soon rendered himself exceedingly valuable to his fellow pioneers, entering zealously into all public enterprises, as well as lending a helping hand by wise and judicious counsel, and practically by means of his sound business capacity.As the necessity presented itself, he was administrator, assignee, lawyer, and magistrate for the early settlers, positions for which his education peculiarly fitted him.He was supervisor for many years, and held other town offices. 

Noah ASHLEY Jr., was born August 24, 1806.June 3, 1832, he married Minerva TISDALE of Cortland; and nine children, four sons and five daughters were born of this union.Three of these daughters are dead, and the remainder are married and reside in the town of Richmond.Noah ASHLEY and wife are members of the Congregational Church at Honeoye. 

 

ASHLEY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg  8

 

ASHLEY, William, Richmond, son of Noah 1st, was born January 5, 1809, in a log-house across the way from the frame house his father afterwards built.  He married in 1834 Juliet BOSWORTH, of Sheffield, Berkshire county, Mass.  Of their eight children only four are living, Mrs. ASHLEY's great-grandfather, Nathaniel BOSWORTH, emigrated from Wales, and died in Sandisfield, Mass., in 1807, aged 99 years.  Her grandfather was Nathaniel 2d, and her father, Jared BOSWORTH, went to Michigan as one of the early pioneers in 1818.  William ASHLEY died August 6, 1890.  

 

ATTWOOD  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 3

ATTWOOD, Daniel F., Geneva, was born in Androscoggin county, Me., February 9, 1853.  In 1872 he was a bookkeeper for Roseor G. Chase & Company, came with them to Geneva in 1872, and remained in their employ until 1886, when he went into the insurance business, being one of the founders of the Ontario Mutual Accident Association, originally a local company, but now having a place of business in New York city.  In 1877, associated with Dr. N. B. COVERT, E. A. WALTON, S. F. GASCOIGNE, M. S. SANFORD, D. W. HOLLENBECK and others in the organization of "The People's Building, Loan and Savings Association," a company having a reputation of solidity and worth, second to none of its class in the State.  Of this association Mr. ATTWOOD has been secretary since its incorporation, and most of its success is due to his efforts.  (A more extended sketch of the association will be found elsewhere in this volume.)  Mr. ATTWOOD is an earnest Republican worker, and has held the office of village clerk and president, being elected to the latter position in February, 1891.  In 1876 he married Caroline A. PARKER, of which union two children have been born.

 

 

ATWATER  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 252

ATWATER, Joseph, Canandaigua, was born in Russel, Mass., August 3, 1820, a son of Joel, a native of Cheshire, Conn.  The early life of Joseph was spent in the Eastern States.  He was educated in the common schools and Westfield Academy, and his first occupation was as commercial trustee, which he followed about 20 years.  In 1858 he went to Springfield, Texas, where he took 220 acres of land and conducted a stock farm for three years.  He then returned North and located in Canandaigua in 1861, buying a small farm.  In 1862 he was willed by Mrs. Maria ATWATER, widow of Dr. Jeremiah ATWATER, for money loaned by him to his friends, considerable property, and December 29, 1868, they purchased part of the Thomas B. LYON farm, west of the Sucker Brook, making them a fine farm of 92 acres.  In 1879 Mr. ATWATER erected on his farm a beautiful residence, which stands on the west shore of Canandaigua Lake.  Mr. ATWATER has always been an ardent supporter of the republican party, but has never been an office seeker.  Mr. and Mrs. ATWATER are members of the Presbyterian church.  He married, March 14, 1858, at Willington, Loraine county, O., Almira M., daughter of Timothy TIFFANY, a native of Connecticut.  She was then residing with her step-father, Capt. Henry ALLEN.  They were married by Prof. Henry E. PECK, of Oberlin College, Ohio.  They are the parents of four children: Lydia J., an artist; Emma B., a teacher of Victor; Anna L., teacher of the Union School of Canandaigua; and George L., a commercial traveler with an Auburn firm.

 

 

 

 

 

ATWATER

History of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 206 

Dr. Moses ATWATER, the first physician to settle on the Phelps and Gorham Purchase, became a resident of Canandaigua in 1790, at the age of 25 years, moving here from Cheshire, Connecticut; was a trustee of Canandaigua Academy, Associate Judge of the County Court and held other important offices.  Died in Canandaigua in 1847.  

 

AVERY

History of Ontario County, NY, published 1878, pgs 188-191

Christopher AVERY, the founder of this family, was born in England, about 1590, and died in New London, Connecticut, March 12, 1679. There are several traditions as to his place of origin, one that he came from an old Cornish family, another that he was a native of Salisbury, county Wilts. According to one statement, he accompanied Governor WINTHROP to Boston, on the "Arbella" in 1630, and a second account says he emigrated with the younger WINTHROP, in 1631 and on the voyage formed a close friendship with the latter, which eventually led to his settling in Connecticut. Whether, as has been said, he spent several years at first in Boston, is uncertain, but he was in Gloucester about 1644, and was selectman there 1646,1652 and 1654. He was made freeman at Salem June 29, 1652, and was also clerk of the band, constable, and clerk of the market there. In 1658 he sold his Gloucester land and removed to Boston, where he purchase, March 18,1658-59 a house and lot. This he sold again a few years later, and followed his son to New London, where he bought property August 8, 1665, and finally settled. His wife and possibly his children with the exception of his son James, referred to below, did not come to this county, as in 1654, the court passed a resolution relieving him of the fine for not living with her.

James, son of Christopher AVERY, the only child of whom there is any record in America, and the founder of the Averys of Groton, was born in England about 1620. He accompanied his father to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and lived with him for several years in Gloucester. He took up many land grants and built the Hive of the Averys "at the head of Poquonnock Plain in the present town of Groton, about one and one-half miles from the River Thames." He was a prominent public character, was ensign, lieutenant and captain of the train band, deputy to the general court, Indian commissioner and agent, and townsman from 1660 for twenty years. He married, November 10, 1643 Joanna GREENSLADE, of Boston. Children: 1. Hannah, born October 12, 1644, married June 20, 1666, Ephraim MINER; 2. James, born December 16, 1646, died August 22, 1748, married February 18, 1669, Deborah STALLYOU; 3. Mary, born February 19, 1648, died February 2, 1708, married October 28, 1668, Joseph MINER; 4. Thomas born May 6, 1651, died January 5, 1737, married October 22, 1677, Hannah MINER; 5. John, born February 10, 1653-54 married November 26, 1675, Abigail CHEESBOROUGH; 6. Rebecca, born October 6, 1656, married August 5, 1678. William POTTS; 7. Jonathan, born January 5, 1658, buried September 15, 1681; 8. Christopher, born April 30, 1661, died December 8. 1683; 9. Samuel, referred to below.

Samuel son of James and Joanna (GREENSLADE) AVERY, was born at Groton, August 1, 1664, died there, May 1, 1723. He was a large farm owner and most of his life a magistrate. For some time he was captain of the train band, and when the town was legally organized in 1704, he was its moderator. He became the first townsman, at the first town meeting in 1705, and held the position till his death. He married, October 258, 1686, in Swansea, Massachusetts, Susanna, daughter of William and Ann (HUMPHREY) PALMES, born about 1665, died October 9, 1747. Children: 1. Samuel, born August 11, 1687, died August 7, 1714; 2. Jonathan, born January 18, 1689, died June 12, 1761, married Preserved ________; 3. William, born August 25, 1692, died February 20, 1718; 4. Mary, born January 10, 1695, died in May 1739, married June 16, 1720, William WADSWORTH; 5. Christopher, born February 10, 1697, died January 17. 1768, married June 25, 1719 Mary LATHAM; 6. Humphrey, referred to below; 7. Nathan, born January 30, 1702, married Mary _______; 8. Lucy, born April 17, 1703; 9. John, born September 17, 1705, died September 9, 1792, married Bridget HIGGINS; 10. Waitstill, born March 27, 1708, married (first) September 18, 1729, Deborah WILLIAMS and (second) Margaret CHILDS; 11. Grace, born June 2, 1712.

Humphrey, son of Samuel and Susanna (PALMES) AVERY, was born in Groton, July 4, 1699, died there March 28, 1788. He married there, February 25, 1724, Jerusha, daughter of William and Margaret (Avery) MORGAN, who died September 20, 1763. Children: 1. Humphrey, born March 10, 1725, married June 19, 1745, Mary BALDWIN; 2. William, born September 13, 1726, married Abigail WILLIAMS; 3. Solomon, referred to below; 4. Samuel, born October 17, 1731, married (first) in 1760, Sybil NOYSE and (second) Mary Ann ROSE; 5. James, born August 13, 1733, married ______ WILLIAMS; 6. Jerusha, born June 17, 1735, married Latham AVERY; 7. Palmes, born April 3, 1737; 8. Christopher, born May 3, 1739, died July 3, 1778, in Wyoming, Pennsylvania; 9. Waitstill, born May 10, 1741, died March 13, 1821, married in 1778, Leah, daughter of Captain WILLIAM, and niece of Sir William PEYTON, of Virginia, and widow of ______ FRANKS; 10. Isaac, born October 27, 1743, married (first) Margaret STROTHERS, and (second) _____ STRINGER; 11. Nathan, born November 20, 1746, died in July 1747.

Solomon, son of Humphrey and Jerusha (MORGAN) AVERY, was born in Groton, June 17, 1729, died there, December 23, 1798. He married there, February 18, 1751, Hannah, daughter of the Rev. Ebenezer PUNDERSON, who was born about 1733 and died February 5, 1775. Children: 1. Zipporah, born February 8, 1752; 2. Esther, born November 19, 1754; 3. Solomon, born August 13, 1757, died May 13, 1833, married Sarah BUGBEE; 4. Miles, born September 5, 1760, died June 27, 1850, married in November 1783, Malinda PIXLEY; 5. Stephen, born August 13, 1762, died in October, 1842; married (first) in 1780, Sarah BEMENT (second) Renewey (CARPENTER) MAXSON and (third) Anna (DE LAP) REYNOLDS; 6. Ebenezer Punderson, born May 21, 1765, died September 10, 1840, married January 12, 1787, Lovina BARNES; 7. Henry, referred to below; 8. Cyrus, born May 12, 1771, died February 28, 1833, married May 16, 1791, Lydia MARNY; 9. Humphrey, born January 17, 1775, died February 8, 1776.

Henry, son of Solomon and Hannah (PUNDERSON) AVERY, was born May 4, 1767, died March 25, 1853. He removed to Columbia County, New York, where he married in Taghkanick, May 20, 1794 or 1795, Hannah ROCKEFELLER, who was born August 5, 1780 and died February 4, 1865. Children: 1. William, born October 16, 1796, died January 1, 1846, married Sarah ARMSTRONG; 2. Hannah, born January 24, 1800, died September 10, 1855, married Edward H. REYNOLDS, M.D.; 3. Amanda, born July 17, 1802, died August 9, 1841, married July 23, 1820, Isaac SCHAURMAN; 4. Henry Cyrus, born October 26, 1803, died November 17, 1856, married Elizabeth SILVERNAIL; 5. Sarah, born August 15, 1805, died January 16, 1884, married Monmouth BUCKBEE; 6. Peter Rockefeller, referred to below; 7. Elizabeth, born October 16, 1808, married February 27, 1821, Conrad SILVERNAIL; 8. Lucinda, born September 10, 1810, died February 10, 1841, married October 14, 1832, Milton W. ARMSTRONG; 9. Solomon, born October 17, 1812, married September 22, 1838, Sarah Caroline BAIN; 10. Caroline, born October 16, 1814, married Henry KELLS; 11. Jacob, born June 11, 1816, died October 3, 1848; 12. Esther, born August 25, 1819, married, January 21, 1842, Jonas W. ROCKEFELLER; 13. Stephen, born May 10, 1822, died Jan 1, 1854, married in 1850, Susan J. AVERY.

Peter Rockefeller, son of Henry and Hannah (ROCKEFELLER) AVERY, was born in Columbia County, New York, March 20, 1807, died March 4, 1854. He married in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, December 6, 1829, Elizabeth, daughter of Asahel and Mary (ROCKEFELLER) BLAKEMAN, born October 4, 1807, died December 18, 1883. Children: 1. Mary, born April 3, 1831, married (first) Dunningham CASE and (second) Mark JOHNSON; her children: Esther and Bertha CASE and Caroline JOHNSON; 2. Asahel Blakeman, referred to below; 3. Esther, born May 23, 1836, married Nelson N. NEWMAN; her children: Libbie, Morton, Avery and Ray. (NOTE: Peter and dau Elizabeth, buried at the Phelps Village Cemetery)

Asahel Blakeman, son of Peter Rockefeller and Elizabeth (BLAKEMAN) AVERY was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, May 16. 1834 and died in Phelps, Ontario County, New York, September 19, 1894. He came to the town of Phelps as a boy of fourteen and engaging in farming there, he became and was for many years one of the representative men of the region. He married Julia, daughter of Ashbel and Emily HORSFORD, of Phelps. Children: Minnie L., born in 1864, died in 1884; Elizabeth, born in 1873, married Elmer MILLER; Willis, referred to below and Frank A., referred to below. (NOTE: Asahel & Julia 1839-1913, dau. Minnie 2/28/1864-2/12/1884, buried at the Phelps Village Cemetery)

Willis, son of Asahel Blakeman and Julia (HORSFORD) AVERY, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, October 28, 1875. He and his brother are farming the old homestead.

Frank A., son of Asahel Blakeman and Julia (HORSFORD) AVERY, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, August 20, 1877. He married Evangeline DU PREY. Child: a daughter, Virginia H., born March 10, 1910. (NOTE: Frank A. died May 7, 1924 buried at Phelps Village Cemetery)  

 

Html by Dianne Thomas  

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced

 in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2002 - 2014

                                [NY History and Genealogy]