Bo - Br
Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.
If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.
Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas. Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 268
BOARDMAN, H. M., Gorham, was born in Gorham, March 4, 1829, a son of Jesse C., a son of Jesse, who was a native of Connecticut and an early settler of Cayuga county. Jesse C. was born in Cayuga county in 1778 and came to Gorham when a young man, and married first Mary BUNYAN, a native of Seneca, by whom he had 9 children. His second wife was Betsey FRENCH of Middlesex, a daughter of Ozias FRENCH, a Major in the War of 1812. Mr. FRENCH was one of the first settlers of Middlesex. By his second wife Mr. BOARDMAN had two sons and four daughters, and died in Gorham in 1845, and his wife in 1853. Subject was educated in the common schools and Genesee College, which afterwards became Syracuse University. He graduated from that college, and then entered the Methodist ministry, which he followed seven years. His health failing, he engaged in farming, which he has since followed. He owns 150 acres of land on which he erected good buildings, and also has one of the finest orchards in the town. He is a Republican, but never desired public office. For 21 years he has been superintendent of the Rushville Sunday-school, and was president of the County Sunday-school Association for many years. March 3, 1853, Mr. BOARDMAN married Christine RAPALEE of Yates county, by whom he had 8 children: Myrtie M., Myron R., Lemuel D., Kittie S., Mary C., Willie F., Ellen E., and Henriette M., all living.
of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg 85 � 87
J. BOLGER, who has
attained and holds a place in the foremost ranks of the nursery men of Ontario
county, NY and who is prominently identified with the political and social
affairs of that section of the state of New York, is of Irish descent, and has
inherited many of the excellent traits which distinguish that people.
BOLGER, father of
Thomas J. BOLGER, was born in Ireland in 1844
(Aug 1845 per 1900 census [named as BALGER],
w/son Timothy 26y, dau Mary 23y, & nephew Thomas 21y; he immigrated
1865) and came to this country in early manhood.
He commenced work as a laborer and has always followed that occupation. By means of his thrift and industry he succeeded in acquiring
a moderate capital, purchased a home in the town of Seneca, and has lived
there more than 40 years. He
married in Geneva, NY, in 1873, Honora BUCKLEY,
born in Ireland in 1851, died aged 36 years.
Children: Thomas J., see forward; Andrew
born in 1877; Mary, born in 1880, married Ernest
J., son of Andrew
and Honora (BUCKLEY) BOLGER, was born in Seneca, New York, November 28,
1875. He was but 11 years of age
at the time of his mother�s death, and immediately was obliged to assume
heavy responsibilities. He took
full charge of the household cares and at the same time, devoted a portion of
his time to outside work, to assist in the support of the family.
These manifold duties deprived him of the necessary time for the
acquisition of a school education in his youth, but he was determined to
acquire knowledge and spend all his spare moments in home study.
Later in life he became a student in the Geneva high school, utilizing
his vacations by working in nurseries and about his own home.
He thus attained at a comparatively early age, a practical knowledge of
tree growing, and was so quick in absorbing these ideas that, at the age of 16
years, he was made the foreman of a large nursery located on the state road.
About three years later he entered the employ of John
SWEENEY, who owned a nursery of William street, and it was but a short
time when his natural abilities for this industry were recognized, and the
most important duties ere entrusted to him, culminating in his being made
manager of the entire nursery. After
serving in this capacity for 3 years, Mr. BOLGER
bought the SWEENEY property, carried it on in
his own interest and also acted as manager of the packing grounds of O.
K. GERRISH in High street. At the end of 3 years, he purchased the GERRISH
business and property and merged the two concerns, carrying them on together
very successfully. As his capital
increased he commenced to interest himself in real estate matters, and at the
present time is extensively concerned in this line of business.
His nursery holdings along are about 30 acres.
In 1911, the BOLGER interest in the
nursery business was incorporated as the Universal Nurseries, with F.
J. CONBOY, president and T. J. BOLGER,
secretary and treasurer. This
concern, which does a thriving business, handles a first class line of nursery
stock in fruits and ornamental plants.
Mr. BOLGER has earned the distinction of being the first alderman elected in the second ward, after the ward had been controlled by the Republican party for many years. He was elected to this office in 1905 and re-elected in 1907. His efforts in the council were most laudable ones and he was rewarded by being the nominee of his party for supervisor in 1909, and was elected by a large majority over a strong opposing candidate. He has also served as delegate to the state and county Democratic conventions, and has served as county committeeman from Geneva. While serving on the board of supervisors, eh was frequently called upon to serve on the most important committees, and also as chairman of the board. Mr. BOLGER is still a comparatively young man, nad his past career gives promise of a brilliant future. He is a member of the Geneva Council, Knights of Columbus; Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Geneva; and of the Hydrant Hose Company. His religious affiliations are with the Catholic church. (1900 census listed as BULGER age 26y; born Nov 1874; single; nurseryman; unemp. 4 mo; 1920 Geneva census listed under BOLGE, still single)
History of Ontario County, NY, published 1878, pg. 188
Sharon BOOTH, the father of the subject of this sketch, came from Hartford County, Connecticut, and arrived at the foot of Canandaigua lake, March 12, 1790. Here he remained a short time, and continued his course as far as Seneca Point, where he engaged to work on a farm for N. G. WILDER at five dollars and twenty-five cents per month. At twenty two years of age he married Ruth GILLET, and six children were the result of the union. Danford and Dolla were twins. Mrs. BOOTH died December 20, 1805, aged twenty-three years. December 21, 1806, he was united in marriage with Catharine ROOT. They had three children. Mrs. BOOTH died December 18, 1814; and Mr. B. was married on the 23rd of October, 1815, to Anna WILDER, and two children were born of that marriage. Sharon BOOTH died July 6, 1845.
Danford BOOTH, whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was born near his present residence on the 8th of September, 1804. He has been twice married. First, to Caroline CALDWELL, October 26, 1828, who died February 25, 1830. He united in marriage with his second wife, Sally MORGAN, March 3, 1831; who died May 28, 1876. Eight children were born of this marriage, seven of whom are living. A daughter, Lucy, is dead.
In the spirited campaign of 1840, Mr. BOOTH was an active participant, and a member of the Whig party. He was a strong opponent of slavery, and is an anti-Mason. Mr. BOOTH is pleasantly situated on one of the fine farms of "Old Ontario", and though well advanced in years, is still hale and hearty, with every indication of being spared yet many years to a large circle of friends and neighbors, by whom he is held in high esteem.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 11
BOOTH, Charles F.,
D. D. S., Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua, November 11, 1858, a
son of John E., a merchant and farmer of this
town, now retired from business and living in Geneseo.
The early life of our subject was spent in this town.
He was educated at the Canandaigua Academy under Professor N.
T. CLARK, and at the State Normal School at Geneseo.
After leaving the Normal School Dr. BOOTH
began the study of dentistry in the office of F. E.
HOWARD at Geneseo, from whose office he matriculated.
In 1878 he attended a course of lectures at the New York College of
Dentistry, after which he took his degree at the Philadelphia Dental College.
He conducted an office in Geneseo for a year and a half, and then came
back to his home, where he opened an office and has since practiced his
profession. He is now located in
the Sibley block, and his residence is at 35 Gibson street.
He is a member of the Seventh District Dental Society, and a member of
the K. of P. Lodge of Canandaigua.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 32 - 33
BOOTH, W. C., Geneva, furnishes the following
concerning himself and family: Born in Cheshire, England, removed to America
with his parents when 3 years old. "My parents located at Wappinger's
Creek, where my father was a bleacher in the print works there.
Removed to Trenton, NJ, and finally came to Pleasant Valley, near
Oriskany, NY, where my father and my two sisters worked in Dexter's Woolen
Mill for 8 or 9 years. Removed to Little Falls, where I was apprenticed to the
machinist trade; company failed in a year and a half and then mother bought
out a bakery, where I learned something of the baker's trade. Failed in the great panic, 1857; the following spring went to
England and tried to finish my trade as a machinist, but on account of the
union I could not secure a place without being bound for 7 years; gave up
the idea of being an iron worker and turned to what knowledge I had in baking
to help me out; advertised for a place for improvement, hired out with Joseph
HAWCROFT, of Barnsley, Yorkshire, stayed my year out, left him, worked in
York, Scarborough, Hull, Leeds, Manchester, and other small places as a
journeyman baker. Came back from
England about 1866, worked in New York for Willson & Company, in Cherry
street, as a baker or mixer in fancy goods; the following year removed to
Seneca Falls, where I hired out to the Goulds Manufacturing Company to learn
the moulding trade; stayed with them about 9 years; got married to Miss
Frances E. HOLMES; the result of this union was William C., Lewis G., and Maud
While at Seneca
Falls removed to a bakery in Waterloo, sold out, went to Ithaca, removed to
Utica, worked at both trades while there.
Removed to Ilion, worked for the Remingtons as a moulder, removed to
Leonardsville, took charge of a shop for Mr. BABCOCK on general work; returned
to Utica, worked at baking; came back to Waterloo and worked for John O.
SPENCER in moulding department; got up an oven while here, got things ready
and commenced baking again in Waterloo, and removed to Geneva in 1891, and
started a bakery on Exchange street. While
in Utica, I lost my eldest boy, William; brought him to Seneca Falls to be
buried, interred him in our lot that we have there.
Father and mother both died in Utica and were buried there; also wife's
parents are also dead. Mother
died in Colburn Harbor, Canada; father died in Seneca Falls and was buried
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 270
George S., Canandaigua, chief of police, was born in Farmington, March
31, 1840, a son of John, who died in 1843.
The boyhood of our subject was spent in Farmington, where he lived
until 12 years old, when his mother moved into Canandaigua, where he was
educated in the common school; after leaving which he followed varied
occupations until 1864, when he bought a farm, which he conducted for seven
years, and in 1872 moved into the village, where he has ever since lived.
In 1878 he was elected constable of the town, and in 1882, at the
organization of the village police, Mr. BOOTH was
appointed to the force, and was made chief of police. Mr. BOOTH married in 1863, Jane,
daughter of B. F. WARING, a farmer of Bloomfield,
and they have two children: Effie, wife of William
BRIDGMAN, of Canandaigua, and Mary.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 230
History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, published 1911, pg. 115
Bernard BORGMAN, president and treasurer of the Vance Boiler Works of Geneva, New York, owes his present high position in the community and his present prosperity entirely to his own efforts, rising from the ranks by dint of earnest and unremitting toil and energy.
Bernard BORGMAN, father of the present Bernard BORGMAN, was born in Germany, and died in America, 1896. He came to this country at the age of eighteen years and lived for one year in Albany, New York. He then removed to Rochester, where he was employed as a car builder in the Rochester Car Shops, his trade having been originally that of carpentry. He married in Germany, Christina EVERCAMP, who came to America at the same time he did, and who died in 1897.
Bernard (2) BORGMAN, subject of this sketch, was born in Rochester, New York, September 1854. His elementary education was received in the schools of his native city, and he then attended those of Yates county, New York. He had learned the cabinet-maker's trade, and at the age of 2 years, he made his first business venture, establishing himself in the furniture and undertaking line in Penn Yan, Yates county, New York. For nine years he conducted this business successfully, then sold his interest in the concern to his partner and established himself in the same manner, but independently, in Geneva, New York, where he soon attained the first rank in this business. He continued this until 1905, when he sold it advantageously and became connected with the Vance Boiler Works. His first step was to reorganized the company and he is now the principal stockholder as well as president and treasurer; T.A. KAM is the vice-president, and Charles H. SWEENEY is the secretary. The factory has been equipped with the latest improvements and the transactions show an annual increase. There is an average of fifty men employed in the manufacture of steam and hot water boilers, marine and stationary engines, tanks, smoke stacks and all kinds of sheet iron equipment. Mr. BORGMAN has amassed considerable wealth and is the owner of two fine farms in Yates county. He gives his political support to the Democratic party and is a member of the Catholic church. He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus and of the Ben Hur Association.
Mr. BORGMAN married, 1880, Mary FREER, born in Yates county, New York, 1856. They have no children.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 16
BOSTWICK, George W., Geneva, was born in Newark,
Wayne county, November 9, 1835, and fitted for college at Macedon Academy.
In 1863 he enlisted in Co. D, 97th NY Vols., and was
mustered out in August, 1865. After
the Civil War he engaged in farming four years, then in the insurance business five
years. He also taught school 12 years. In 1887 he was admitted to the bar, and has practiced since.
In 1884 he married Isabel, daughter of James LEWIS.
Zadoc, grandfather of George W., settled four miles south of Geneva
about 1800 and cleared a farm. After
fourteen years he settled in Newark, Wayne county.
He had these children; Heman (father of George
W.), David P., Lucy,
Matilda, Nellie, and Polly. Heman
was born in Geneva, and was 10 years of age when his father moved to Newark.
He married Lois DAGGETT, and lived at Newark until 1850, then lived in
several different places in Wayne county.
In 1873 he moved to Geneva, where he died January 24, 1876, and his
wife, June 12, 1890. They had five
sons and four daughters.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 272
BOSTWICK, Daniel R.,
East Bloomfield, is a native of East Bloomfield, born March 16, 1816.
His father Major Elijah BOSTWICK, a
soldier in the War of 1812, was a son of Elijah,
and Episcopal minister of Great Barrington, Mass., who founded many churches
in that State and Eastern New York. The father of subject was born in Great Barrington, Mass.,
October 28, 1786, and came to East Bloomfield when about 10 years of age, and
was reared by a Mr. SPRAGUE.
He held the office of assessor, collector and justice of the peace, and
married Diantha RICE, born July 4, 1791, a
daughter of Daniel of East Bloomfield.
They had 5 sons and 5 daughters, 7 of whom grew to maturity.
He died August 28, 1870. Daniel
R. was educated in Canandaigua Academy and when 21 years of age
went to Michigan and spent one year. Returning
home he purchased a farm, which he now owns, and afterwards owned 100 acres in
Bristol, and seventy acres in West Bloomfield.
March 16, 1858, he married Amanda REED of
Richmond, a daughter of Major John REED of the
War of 1812, and one of the early settlers in Richmond.
Subject and wife have had three children: John,
a hardware merchant of Clifton Springs; H. Wheeler,
born February, 1868, a farmer, who was educated in Canandaigua Academy, and
married, December 21, 1887, Christina, daughter
of Christopher BELLINGER, and had one child, Christine
A., who was born March 25, 1892. The
third child of subject is Annie A., who resides
with her brother at Clifton Springs. Daniel
R. for the last 35 years has been a Democrat.
He was the first superintendent of the West Bloomfield schools, and
served four years. He was also
justice of the peace there for four years, and held the same office in East
Bloomfield for sixteen successive years.
He was supervisor one year and justice of sessions one term. He was
twice candidate for assemblyman, but the county being largely republican he
was defeated. Mr.
BOSTWICK is a member of the East Bloomfield Grange.
He was formerly a member of the Congregational church of East
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 18 - 19
BOUGHTON, Harry, was born on the old homestead near Victor village, May 28, 1797, and was educated in the common schools, and followed farming until his death, November 15, 1877. He married twice, first, Amanda BRACE, and second, August 17, 1843, Mary A. WEST, of this town. They had 6 children: Henry C., who married Annie PEET of this town; Friend D., who has never married; Abigail (Abbie) M., who married James E. BELL; Frank E., who married Ida BEMENT, of this town, and died September 19, 1883; Abram J., who married Lucy COLE, of Andrews, Ind., where they reside, and Mary A., who married Walter E. KING, of Batavia, where they reside. Abbie M., the subject, owns the old homestead; she has four children: Harry B., who resides at Covington, Ky.; Edith L., Warren W. and Mary J., all three reside at home. Mrs. BELL's father's father, Abraham BOUGHTON, was born November 23, 1760, and came here at an early day. Mrs. BELL's brother, Henry C., was in the late War of the Rebellion and was honorably discharged at its close.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 34
BOUGHTON, Walter, Victor, was born on the old homestead, June 16, 1826, was educated in the district schools, and was a farmer. He married twice; first to Caroline HART, of Victor, and they have had five children: Emma, who died at the age of 6 years; Herman, who married Lella C. RAWSON, and have two children: Bertha and Ruth; Amelia, who married Albert C. ALBRIDGE, of Victor, and they have two children: Caroline J. and Gilbert W.; Alma, who married John R. WOOLSEY, and has one son, Homer W.; and Myron, who married Eliza Ett TIFFANY, of East Bloomfield. Mrs. BOUGHTON died July 30, 1891. September 28, 1882, he married Harriet, daughter of Omri and Jemima NELSON, of Victor. Mr. BOUGHTON's father, Caleb, was born in New Cannan, Conn., February 7, 1799, and came with his parents to Victor when a year old. He, too, was a farmer, and married Irene BOUGHTON, of Victor. They had four children: Walter, William, who married Ellen A. KETCHUM, of Victor; Jane A., who married Melancthon LEWIS, Jr., and James, who married Frances PARDEE. Mr. BOUGHTON's grandfather, Eleazer, was born at New Canaan, Conn., and married Deborah BENEDICT, and moved to Victor with his wife and five children. Their marriage took place January 22, 1786. The origin of the family name by tradition was as follows: One Nicholas, who was a chorister in Burgandy, France, warded off the assassin's dagger with his baton, saving the life of the Duke of Burgundy; for this act he was decorated with a button, after a while he was banished and fled to North of Wales, England, where he died leaving two sons. The oldest one returned to France, took possession of the estates, and became Marshal of France. The date given is 1516. The youngest son, John, came to Boston, Mass., and the name BUTTON was changed to BOUTON and afterwards to the present form of the name BOUGHTON. From him the numerous and sturdy race of BOUGHTONS in the United States has sprung, and become a power in the land, and in Victor in particular.
History of Ontario County, NY and Its People Pub. 1911, pg 357 - 359
John BOUTON Sr., a French Huguenot,
sailed from England in July, 1635 and arrived in Boston in December of the
same year. He lives successively
in Boston, Watertown, Massachusetts; and Hartford and Norwalk, Connecticut.
He held many official positions. He
married first Joan TURNEY;
second, Abigail MARVIN; third, Widow
Mary STEVENSON. Children
by his first marriage: Richard; Bridget,
married Daniel KELLOGG, probably of Norwalk.
Children of second marriage, John (see
forward); Matthew; Rachel, married Mattias
ST. JOHN; Abigail married Mr.
SMITH; Mary married David WATERBURY.
Children of the third marriage: Joseph married
Mary _____; Thomas;
Elizabeth, married Edmund WARING.
John (2), son of John
(1) and Abigail (MARVIN) BOUTON, was born
in Norwalk, September 30, 1659. He
married Sarah, daughter of
John GREGGORIE (GREGORY). Children:
Abigail; Mary; Nathaniel, who first married Hannah
____ & second, Mary _____; Joseph; Eleazer,
see forward; John, married Mary
PETIT; Daniel married Elizabeth ROBERT.
Eleazer, son of John
(2) and Sarah (GREGORY) BOUTON, was born in
Norwalk about 1696. He married
first Elizabeth SEYMOUR, second, Mary
(PETIT) BOUTON, the widow of his brother, John.
Children, all by the first marriage: Ezra, married
Mary, dau of Jacin BOUTON,
of Norwalk; Hezekiah, see forward; Eleazer,
married Dinah BENEDICT; Elizabeth; Sarah; Matthew,
married Rachel _____: Ruth married Stephen
RUSCO; Hannah married Nathaniel GREY; Seymour
married Esther LEVAKE; Nathan married first, Hannah
WATERBURY, second Polly KETCHAM.
Hezekiah BOUGHTON, son of Eleazer
and Elizabeth (SEYMOUR) BOUTON, was born in Norwalk, November 2, 1725,
died in 1798 and buried on Boughton Hill. With his sons he went from Old Stockbridge, Massachusetts, to
the Genesee country, as it was then called.
In the spring of 1788 his sons, Jared and
Hezekiah Jr., commenced explorations in western New York.
Phelps and Gorham completed their treaty with the Indians in July that
year, and in the fall, Enos BOUGHTON, another
son, went to Canandaigua with William WALKER, the
surveyor for Phelps and Gorham, and they erected a store house and other
buildings, these being the first erected in the town.
He obtained the tract which in now the township of Victor, Ontario
county. The following spring
other members of the family came to the purchase, bringing with them hired
hands, and the township was surveyed and prepared for sale.
The father reserved somewhat more than a quarter of the tract,
including Boughton Hill. An Indian village and a mission had previously been on this
site, and the land was thus in a state to be readily cultivated.
Other members of the family came to the settlement in the winter,
having taken advantage of the sleighing, but as the winter was an open one,
the ice was so softened that as they crossed Cayuga lake, the tracks of the
sleighs willed with water behind them. The
wife of Jared was the first white woman to come into the settlement, and for
three months, was the only one, their second child being the first white child
born there. Gradually, almost all of the BOUGHTON family had assembled there, Hezekiah
giving each of his children liberally of the land he had purchased. He also donated land on the Boughton Hill for a cemetery,
another plot for a public square, on which a schoolhouse was built, and laid
out a broad highway from the Hill to the Bloomfield line. Various cousins of Hezekiah also purchased land in this
section and the settlement became an important one.
BOUGHTON married at Stamford, Connecticut, September 2, 1730, Abigail,
daughter of Theophile Selleck PENOYER, who was
the donor of several scholarships. Children:
Hezekiah Jr. married Huldah
WILLSON, who married second, Dr. Reuben HART,
member of the assembly and for many years surrogate of Ontario county; Enos,
married Clarissa JONES; Abigail, married Nicholas
SMITH; Sally, married Joshua KETCUM; Selleck;
Jared, see forward; Seymour married Clarissa
DEWEY, was killed by the Indians at the burning of Buffalo; Theodosia
married Daniel SAWYER.
Jared, son of Hezekiah
and Abigail (PENOYER) BOUGHTON, was born in Salem, NY, February 19,
1766. He married Olive,
daughter of Charles STONE.
Children: Selleck, married Clarissa
BRACE; Melania, married Dr. Archelaus G.
SMITH; Frederick married Elizabeth C.,
daughter of Rev. A.C. COLLINS; Lyman, married
first Dinah BOUGHTON, second to Julianna
TURRELL; Olive married James WILLIAMS; Minerva;
Minerva Caroline married Charles F. DICKINSON;
Charles Stone married Caroline Lettice MARKHAM;
Eliza Collins married Bennett LEWIS; Jared
Hezekiah married Sarah MARTIN; Edna, see
forward; Enos, married Hannah
(VI) Edna, daughter of Jared and Olive (STONE) BOUGHTON, was born in Victor, New York, December 25, 1812 and died in Canandaigua in 1906. She married in April 1832, Mortimer BUELL.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 270
BOWDY, James T., Victor, was born in Canandaigua, was educated in the district schools, and followed farming. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving in Co. E, 159th N. Y. Vols., was with General BANKS in the Red River expedition in Louisiana, and with General SHERIDAN in the Shenandoah Valley, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. July 19, 1887, he married Emma J., daughter of the late Stephen H. BLOOD, of Victor, and they have two children: James L., born October 30, 1889, and Clara L., born May 14, 1892. Mrs. BOWDY's father, Stephen H. BLOOD, was one of the reliable pioneers of the town, was born February 26, 1807, and educated in the district schools, also a farmer. December 4, 1861, he married Louisa J., daughter of Orrin R. and Ruby (HOTCHKIN) KNAPP, of Minden. They had two children: William H., who married Constance CLARK, of Kansas City, where they reside, and Emma J. Mrs. BLOOD's husband's father, Israel M., was born August 19, 1762, in New Bedford, Mass., and came to Western when a young man. December 11, 1796, he married Sarah, daughter of James UPTON, of Victor, and they had 9 children: Rosell L., Norman B., Nathaniel, Stephen H., James M., Anna, Lucy N., Jemima B. and Daniel D. Mrs. BLOOD's father, Orrin R. KNAPP, was born at Mount Washington, Berkshire county, Mass., November 18, 1795. October 19, 1817, he married Ruby HOTCHKIN, and they had three children and were born in Cornwell, Litchfield county, Conn. They came to this State when Mrs. BLOOD was 8 months old. She was an excellent school teacher. Her mother's uncle, Joseph, was in the Revolutionary War. Mr. BLOOD's father, Israel M., was in the War of 1812, at Buffalo. Mrs. BLOOD's father, Orrin R. KNAPP, was in the War of 1812, at Boston, Mass. Mrs. BOWDY's father, Ambrose, 1820, CT, wife of Lany, born 1830, is a pensioner of the Mexican war, 1846-1848. Stephen H. BLOOD died January 31, 1884 on the homestead that the family have owned and resided upon 40 years. He was an earnest worker and member of the M. E. church.
History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, published 1911, pg. 114
Ernest S. BOWEN, a member of the firm of Fay & Bowen, belongs to the class of society, which has developed our great manufacturing industries, spread our commerce and built up our cities. He is the son of Wilford M. BOWEN, who was a farmer, and died in 1893.
Ernest S. BOWEN, was born in Levanna, Cayuga county, New York, May 8, 1858. He attended the public schools of Aurora, New York, then Hillsdale College, Michigan, and finally, Cornell University, from which he was graduated in 1890 from the mechanical engineering department, his name being one of the ten on the honor list. From his earliest years he had had a decided leaning toward mechanics, and at the age of 18 years, he commenced, independently, to learn the machinist's trade, being thus occupied for a period of four years prior to going to Hillsdale College, and worked his way through college, depriving himself of many luxuries and even necessities, in order to accomplish his aim by his own unaided efforts.
Upon the completion of his college course, he found employment with McIntosh, Seymour & Company, as assistant superintendent, remaining with them for five years, and then entered into a partnership with Walter L. FAY, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this work, under the firm name of Fay & Bowen. Mr. BOWEN has been active in the public affairs of the township fir a long time, and has served as a member of the board of public works for six years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Grotto, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Kanadasaga Club.
Mr. BOWEN married, 1888, Clara L., born at Granville, New York in 1863, daughter of Charles HOGLE. Children: Gertrude, born in 1893; Olive born in 1897; and Kenneth, born in 1901.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 170 � 172
surname is also written BOURMAN, BOREMAN, BURMAN and in various other ways,
including BORADMAN in the earlier records.
Thomas BOWERMAN, as his descendants in
this line spell his name, was born in England, and settled early in
Barnstable, Massachusetts. He appears to have been in Plymouth as early as 1633, when he
was a taxpayer and was employed to repair the fort on the hill.
He was a carpenter. In
1643 he was of Barnstable in the west part of the town, on the south side of
the cove of the meadow at the head of Bridge Creek.
He sold his lands, October 28, 1662 to Robert
PARKER for 78 pounds. He was surveyor of highways in 1648 and grand juror in 1650.
He owned lands in Suckanesset, now Falmouth.
He died in 1663. He
married March 10, 1644-45, Hannah, daughter of Anthony
ANNABLE. Children born at
Barnstable: Hannah, May 1646; Thomas,
mentioned below; Samuel July 1651,
Salin at Rehoboth, March 26, 1676; Desire, May
1654; Mary, March 1656;
Mehitable, September 1658; Tristram, 1661.
Thomas (2), son of Thomas
(1) BOWERMAN, was born in Barnstable on Cape Cod, September 1648, and
settled in what is now Falmouth, on Cape Cod. He and his family joined the Society of Friends early.
He bought 100 acres of land, April 22, 1690 of Jonathan HATCH and
Robert HARPER, agents of Suckanesset (Falmouth), on the eastwardly side of the
five Mile river, bounded northerly by the pond and southeasterly by the rive.
He was town clerk in 1702-04-05. He
served on a committee to lay out lands in Woods Hole.
He resisted the law obliging him and other Quakers to pay to the
support of the Congregational church at Falmouth and in the winter of 1705-06,
was committed to the jail at Barnstable for non-payment of the ministerial
tax. From that time to 1728 he
continued to refuse to pay �the priest�s rate� and property was annually
taken by distraint from him to the value of many times the tax.
For instance, two cows taken in 1709, worth five pounds, for a tax of
three pounds and some shillings; in 1715, a pig worth 3 pounds for a tax of
one. He married April 9, 1678, Mary
Children: Samuel; Thomas, mentioned below;
Stephen; Benjamin; Hannah, married
Nathan BARLOW; Wait, married Benjamin ALLEN.
Thomas (3), son of
Thomas (2) BOWERMAN, was born before 1700. He was also in trouble with the Puritan church and had his
property seized to pay the church tax. In
1727 the constable confiscated three bushels of mail and in 1728 a linen wheel
and basin worth 20 shillings. He
resided in West Falmouth of Cape Cod on the estate lately owned by Captain
Nathaniel ELDRED. He
married Jane HARBY. Children born
at Falmouth: Ichabod; Judah, married in 1758, Mary
DILLINGHAM; David, married in 1751 to Ruth
DILLINGHAM; Hannah; Silas, mentioned below; Joseph,
married September 17, 1766, Rest SWIFT; Sarah, married
in 1743 ____ GIFFORD; Jane married Joseph
BOWERMAN; Elizabeth; Peace; Deborah.
Silas, son of Thomas
(3) BOWERMAN was born about 1720 in Falmouth. He removed to New Bedford and thence to Dover, Dutchess
county, New York in 1780. In
1790, the first federal census shows him living at Pawling, Dutchess county,
with 3 males over 16, one under 16, and sever females in the family. His second wife was Lydia GIFFORD. His three sons were Silas, Malthiah,
and Macy. Malthiah settled
in Lafayette and built a house there were the hotel later stood and is
ancestor of the Milan BOWERMANS,
leaving sons Joseph, Esek, Otis and Sands.
Macy settled on the Rowland Story farm.
Silas is mentioned below.
Silas (2) son of Silas
(1) BOWERMAN, was born at Falmouth or New Bedford, Massachusetts, and
came with the family to Dutchess county, NY, settling at length at Duanesberg,
near Albany, NY where he had a farm and where he died.
Silas G., son of Silas (2)
BOWERMAN, was born about 1800 in Duansburg.
He married Lydia, daughter of Michael and Anna (Davis) HOAG (see Davis
IV). Children: Brice
mentioned below; Edwin C., Jarvis R., Gifford S. and Michael.
Brice W., son of Silas
G. BOWERMAN, was born in Farmington, NY in 1837.
He attended the district schools there and Macedon Center Academy.
He finally settled in Victor, NY and followed farming.
He had an excellent farm of 108 acres.
In politics he is republican; in religion a member of the Society of
Friends. He married Lucena,
daughter of Elwood and Joanna (Jenks) SMITH,
January 7, 1864. She was born in Farmington in 1839, died in December 1897.
He died in 1904. Children: Lyman, born 1866,
married Josie ALLEN and had Nina,
Joyce, Wesley and Russell; William, mentioned below; Grace,
January 1876, married Ira W. MC CONNELL and had
sons John and Charles MC CONNELL; Elma M., born
April 1878, married Thomas B. ROBERTS and had Dorothy
and Beatrice ROBERTS.
SEE: Bowerman Genealogy by Dr. Ronald L. Lahti, M.A., D.A., P.A.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 220 - 221
BOWKER, Simon K., Phelps, was born in Union, Broome county, in 1830. He was the only son of five children of Joseph and Hannah (BARDEEN) BOWKER. Joseph, the father, was born in Connecticut near Hartford, and came to New York State when a young man. Hannah BARDEEN, the mother, was born in Vermont. Simon K. BOWKER came to Geneva in 1844 and learned the trade of carriage maker. In 1853 he came to Phelps, where he has since remained. He engaged in carriage manufacturing with John M. NELSON, who established it in 1836, in connection with undertaking. In 1859 he married Caroline A., daughter of John M. NELSON, and they have two children: Nelson J. BOWKER, in the employ of the Petibone Cataract Paper Company as bookkeeper; and Ellen H. (Mrs. Frank G. WALKER of Texarkana, Texas). Since the death of Mr. NELSON, Mr. BOWKER has carried on the business of undertaking. He is one of the enterprising citizens of the town, has been president of the village; and has been for 14 years a member of the Board of Education; and is now president of the same.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 269
BOYCE, Chester A., of
Boyce Bros., Canandaigua, was born in Rensselaer county.
His first business venture was as a butcher in his native county.
He has also worked at carpentry, and in 1876 came to Canandaigua, where
he engaged in the grain and produce business.
He was for five years on the corner of Railroad avenue and Pleasant
street, and occupied the Star building for three years.
In the spring of 1891 he, in company with his brother Henry, leased the
Canandaigua elevator and store house of H. C. LUCAS,
erected by him in 1880, with a storage capacity of about 18,000 bushels, and
they are the leading grain and produce shippers of this section.
They have handled during the last year about 75,000 bushels of grain,
besides handling 1,500 tons of hay, and large quantities of potatoes and
BOYCE is a member of the M. E. church, as is also his family.
He married in 1878 Anna MELLIONS, of
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 267-268
Canandaigua, was born in Phelps, December 7, 1858, a son of Joseph,
a butcher of that town, who was a native of New York city.
The early life of William was spent in Phelps and Clifton Springs. He was educated in the common schools and Canandaigua
Academy, and after leaving school engaged with Price the baker in this
village, with whom he remained three years.
In 1873 he went into the butchering business.
In September, 1887, he in company with John
GARTLAND established a market here, which they conducted until August
8, 1892, when Mr. BOYLE sold his interest to his
partner and moved to his present location at 157 Main street, where he has a
large commodious market, and always carries a good stock of meat, poultry and
BOYLE married in June, 1886, Caroline SENGLAMB
of Canandaigua, and they have one child, William,
in his fifth year. Mr.
BOYLE is a member of the Catholic church.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 369 - 370
BRACE, Romeyn W., the subject of this sketch, was
born in Victor, at the old homestead on Brace street, two miles south of the
village, November 30, 1846. He
was educated at the public schools, following the occupation of farming until
he reached the age of 28 years. Then
he removed to the village with his father, Thomas B., and engaged in the
hardware and machinery business, in which he continued two years.
Selling out the hardware trade, he has continued the carriage and
implement business up to the present time, occupying a store on north side of
Main street. December 11, 1867,
he married Mary E., daughter of John L. and Eliza ALVERSON, of Victor.
They have three children: Romeyn T., Mary E., and Leon W.
Mrs. BRACE's father, John Lewis ALVERSON, was born in 1814, and married
Eliza CORNWELL, formerly of Scipio, Cayuga county, and had eight children,
three of them dying in infancy. Mr.
BRACE's father, Thomas B., was born in Victor, January 17, 1812, and died June
29, 1889; he was educated in the public schools, and was for many years a
farmer. November 16, 1834, he
married Margaret Octavia JACKSON of his native town.
She was born in Oneida county, February 2, 1814, and died March 8,
1882. They had two children:
Minerva L., and Romeyn W. His
grandfather, Major William BRACE, was born in Stockbridge, Mass., in 1791,
came to Victor with his parents when two years old, being two years after the
first settlement in the town. He
married Lucinda, daughter of Dr. Thomas
Four children were born to them, two dying in infancy, two survived:
William, and Thomas B.
in the War of 1812, and was present at the burning of Buffalo; he was the son
of Elisha BRACE, who with his three brothers purchased several sections of
land, comprising the northeast corner of the town, of the original owner, Enos
BOUGHTON, afterward exchanging it for a tract of land known as Brace street,
to which they removed. Mr. and
Mrs. BRACE and children are members of the Universalist church here.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 153 � 156
BRACE, immigrant ancestor, was born in England and came from London to
this country in 1660. He owned
Lot 13 on Charter street, Hartford in 1673 and lived near Little River. He died at Hartford in 1692.
His estate was valued at 400 pounds.
Children: Elizabeth, Phebe, Ann, Stephen, John,
Henry, mentioned below.
son of Stephen BRACE, resided also at Hartford.
His widow, Ann and son
Henry, administered the estate, which was valued at 978 pounds.
Before he died, he gave to his son his carpenter tools, half his house
and barn and his grist mill holdings in consideration that the son pay his
debts and support him to the end of his life.
Henry (2) BRACE, son of Henry (1) BRACE,
was born about 1710. His will was proved in 1788, dated December 28, 1871.
He was a carpenter and farmer at Hartford.
His estate was valued at 460 pounds.
Children: Henry; Abel, baptized 1740,
Captain in the Revolution, member of general assembly; Joseph.
BRACE, son of John BRACE, and probably nephew of Captain
Henry BRACE, aforementioned, was born in Hartford, died in 1752.
He left an estate valued at 631 pounds.
He married Jerusha ________.
Among his children were: John, Jared, Elisha,
Joseph. Jonathan, guardian
of Elisha, was probably an elder brother.
Elisha (2), son of Elisha
(1) BRACE, was born about 1750. In
1790 the first federal census shows that he was living at Stockbridge,
Berkshire county, Massachusetts, and had besides himself, two females in his
family. The only other head of
family of this surname at Stockbridge, was Joseph,
who had three sons under sixteen and four females in his family.
Elisha BRACE and three brothers, two of
whom were John and Joseph, purchased several sections of land in Victor,
Ontario county, New York, in the northeast corner of the town, of the original
owner, Enos BOUGHTON, afterward exchanging it for
land known as Brace street, whither they removed.
Joseph BRACE and Joseph BRACE Jr. were
both soldiers in the Revolution in Captain Ezra
WHITTLESEY�S company, Colonel John BROWN�S regiment
in 1777 and 1780.
Major Williams BRACE, son of Elisha
(2) BRACE, was born in Stockbridge in 1791 and came to Victor with his
parents when he was 2 years old, two years after the settlement of the town.
He died Mar 14, 1857, at Victor. He
attended the public schools and Canandaigua Academy and followed farming in
his native town, owning at the time of his death, 260 acres, which was divided
between sons, Thomas and Williams.
In politics he was a Whig and afterward of the American party and
finally a Free Soldier, his last vote being cast for FREMONT
For a time he attended the People�s Church, in which all
denominations worshipped together and which he helped build and afterward the
Universalist, the first funeral held in that church, being his.
He enlisted in the War of 1812 and was present at the defense of
Buffalo when it was threatened by the British, having first the rank of
orderly sergeant and finally that of major.
He married Lucinda BEACH, sister of Dr.
Thomas BEACH, the first physician of Victor.
Children: Williams, and Thomas Beach,
mentioned below, and two others who died in infancy.
Thomas BEACH, son of Major
Williams BRACE, was born in Victor, January 17, 1812.
He followed farming and had charge of three farms left to him and his
brother Williams, jointly, and lived on the
homestead until 1875, when he came to the village of Victor to engage in
business with his son, Romeyn W. BRACE, in a
hardware store. From 1877 to
1887, when he retired from active life, he was in the hardwire and machinery
business. He was a Whig in
politics, but afterward joined the American party and voted for BELL
in 1860. For a period of 25
years, he was clerk of the board of education of his district.
Through his efforts largely the Universalist church erected its
building at Victor and he was always an active and willing worker in that
church. He married November 16,
1834, Margaret Octavia JACKSON, of Victor, born
in Litchfield, Oneida county, February 2, 1814, died June 29, 1889 at Victor,
daughter of Powell JACKSON.
She was left an orphan in early childhood and came with Captain
Ebenezer BEMENT and wife to Victor.
She was an active and useful member of the Universalist church.
Mr. BRACE died June 26, 1889.
Children: 1. Minerva L, born June 19,
1839, married Milo WEBSTER of Victor and had Charles
M., Arthur and Mina Webster; Milo WEBSTER
died in 1898. 2. Romeyn
W., mentioned below.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 19
BRAY, Andrew Jackson, Richmond, was born August 13,
1848. His paternal grandfather,
Andrew BRAY, was born July 4, 1763, in New Jersey, and married Mary YAWGER, by
whom he had 19 children. He
settled in Scipio, Cayuga county, where his son, Andrew
2d, was born June 13,
1808. The latter married
Catharine Ann YAWGER, and their children were:
Philip Y., born in 1833; Ann Eliza
(HOUGH), born in 1836; (Mary) BLACK,
of East Bloomfield, born in 1838; Nancy (BLACK), of Buffalo, born in 1840; and
Andrew J. Andrew 2d followed
boating on the canals, and quarrying plaster, and after settling in this town
became a farmer and fisherman. His
house was on the east side of Honeoye Lake, where his son, Andrew J. now
lives. For 30 years he drew
his several seines in the lake, often carrying over half a ton of fish in a
single night. One night he caught
7,000 white fish. He died March
30, 1886. Andrew J. was educated
in the district and select schools of this town, and at Rochester Commercial
College. In 1875 he married Emma
Eliza SKINNER, and they have had four children:
Philip, who died the age of
one year; Bertha, born March 19, 1878; Fanny, born December 10, 1879, and
Katie, born November 6, 1886. Mr.
BRAY has 3 farms, containing in all about 242 acres.
His home overlooks Honeoye Lake, and the attractive situation draws
many visitors and picnic parties, who, with the boat livery and other
conveniences provided by Mr. BRAY, spend the summer days pleasantly.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 266
the late Nathan P., was born May 9, 1820, and was
by occupation a woolen manufacturer at Shortsville, NY.
September 4, 1845, he married Harriet A.,
daughter of Allen and Sophronia (COMPTON) PAYNE
of Farmington. They had two
children: Anna A. and Mary E. Mr. BREWSTER died in 1859.
Mrs. BREWSTER's father, Allen
PAYNE, was born in Farmington, November 22, 1801, and married Sophronia
COMPTON, by whom he had 7 children, as follows: Amanda,
born July 25, 1824; William, born June 4, 1826;
Harriet A., born October 22, 1827, David,
born July 13, 1829; William J., born December 6,
1832; Marvin A., born June 19, 1834; and Hannah
M., born May 9, 1837. Allen
PAYNE was one of the largest land owners in the town of Farmington.
He died October 31, 1837, and his wife April 5, 1885
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 12
BRIGGS, E. Elihu, Bristol, was born in Bristol September 25, 1835, reared on a farm and educated in East Bloomfield Academy. At the age of 17, he engaged in teaching for 5 years in connection with farming, since which time he has followed farming exclusively. He owns 63 and one-half acres, which he purchased in 1867. Mr. BRIGGS has been thrice married. First, in 1854 to Emeline, daughter of Rev. Abner REED. They had four children: William, Frank, Helen, and Elnathan. Mrs. BRIGGS died in 1868, and in 1870 Mr. BRIGGS married Mary Ann JOHNSON, daughter of Phineas JOHNSON. By his second wife Mr. BRIGGS had two children: Ina E. and Lewis B. Mrs. Mary Ann BRIGGS died in 1884 and in 1886 Mr. BRIGGS married Lucretia KINGSBURY, daughter of Hampton KINGSBURY, with whom he is still living. Mr. BRIGGS is a member of the People's party. He is now serving his third year as president of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Hop-growers' Association of Bristol. He is a member of Bristol Grange of which he has been secretary for 15 years, and is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and also secretary of that organization. He and family attend the Universalist Church at Bristol.
E. Elihu BRIGGS is a son of William BRIGGS, a son of Elihu, a son of Zenas, who was a native of Massachusetts. William W. BRIGGS, father of the subject, was born in Bristol September 20, 1811. In 1861 he purchased 54 acres of land, and spent his last active days as a farmer. In 1879 he came to Bristol Hill and has since lived a retired life. November 13, 1834, he married Nancy BRIGGS of Massachusetts, born November 8, 1814, a daughter of Enoch and Abigail BRIGGS. William W. BRIGGS and wife had six children: E. Elihu, George W., Melvina A., Elnathan G., Ruth S., and Nannie L.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 17
BRIGGS, Zachary J., Richmond, son of
Cyrus, was born
February 13, 1849, and was educated at Canandaigua Academy and at Lima
Seminary. He married in 1871 Ann
Eliza, daughter of Theodore SLEGHT. She
was born in Canandaigua, where her grandfather, Andrew, came when a young man.
They have had three children:
Irving C., born in October, 1872; Fannie
E., born in 1875, died in 1887; Harry F.,
born in 1887. Zachary J. BRIGGS has always followed farming.
He built his residence in 1883. This
is half a mile south of the old homestead, and commands a fine view of the
lake and rural scenery.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 27 - 28
BRIGGS, John C., Richmond, was born September 21, 1853. His father, Cyrus, was born in 1820 in the house now occupied by his son, which was built by the father of Cyrus, Artemas, in 1817. The latter was born in 1786 in Dighton, Mass., and came on foot to Bristol, Ontario county, in 1806. In 1809 he (Artemas) married in Bristol, Fanny GREGG, born in 1789. His father, Jedediah, was born in 1738. He had 13 children, several of whom came to this county. Artemas traded his farm in Bristol for one here, whither he removed in 1814. He served in the War of 1812, and fought in several of the battles on the Niagara frontier. He settled on the westside of Honeoye Lake, and owned the land south of Main street in Honeoye. He and his son Jedediah each gave half the land for the original cemetery and he gave the land for the First Methodist church. He was one of the founders of the church here. The edifice stood on the site of Mrs. PHILLIP's house on Lake street. His children were: John G., born in 1811; Jedediah, born in 1815; Fanny, born in 1818; Cyrus, born in 1820, and Mary, born in 1823. Cyrus was educated at East Bloomfield Academy, and was a farmer. He married first Emeline M. MICHAEL, daughter of Thomas M. MICHAEL, a tanner here, and they had two sons: Zachary J., born in 1849, and John C. He married second Cynthia E. HADLEY, by whom he had no children. He died in 1888. John C. married in 1878 Minnie A., daughter of John VAN BUREN. She was born November 8, 1857. They have had two children: Fred J., born in 1885, died in 1889, and Hattie F., born May 26, 1889. Mr. BRIGGS farms the old original homestead first taken up by Abel SHORT and later owned by Artemas BRIGGS. Jedediah, brother of Artemas BRIGGS, was born in 1779 and was a sea Captain. During the War of 1812 he was captured by the English and taken to England, returning after the war. Enoch, the oldest brother, born in 1770, came after Artemas, and settled in Bristol, where his descendants may be found at the present time. The ancestry of the family dates back to Sir Robert BRIGGS of England, who lived about 13 generations back.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 265
BROCKLEBANK, Benjamin S.,
was born at his present residence in Canandaigua, December 18, 1835.
The grandfather, Samuel, was a native of
New England and one of the earliest settlers here.
John B., the father of our subject, was
born in this town of 1797, and married Chloe SANGER.
They had 7 children, five of whom are living: Walter
S., a farmer of Hopewell; Electa NEGAS of
Michigan; Emily C. ANDERSON of Wyoming; John
of Battle Creek, Mich.; and Benjamin S.
John B. died in March, 1858, and his wife, Chloe
died July, 1852. Benjamin
S. was educated in Canandaigua Academy, and assisted on the farm until
22 years of age. He then started
for himself by renting the farm adjoining on the north.
After spending one year there he bought a farm of 145 acres in school
district No. 20, where he made his home until 1880, when he returned to the
old homestead, which he has ever since made his home. This is a good farm of 100 acres where Mr.
BROCKLEBANK does general farming.
He has never taken any active interest in politics or public affairs,
but is one of the representative farmers of this town.
He married, March 18, 1868, Ellen, daughter
of John S. JONES of Victor, and they have had two
sons, Floyd B., who conducts the farm in the west
part of the town, and L. Ray, who lives at home.
Mrs. BROCKLEBANK died July 3, 1892, aged
53 years. She left many friends
to mourn her loss. She was a
devoted wife and mother, and a member of the Presbyterian church of Victor.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 14 - 15
Canandaigua, was born in Cheshire, Conn., January 27, 1814.
The family in this country originated from three brothers, who came
from England and settled in Cheshire, Conn.
The grandfather of our subject, Henry, was
the father of a large family, among his sons being Henry,
Jr., the father of Henry.
He married Rosetta HULL, and had four
children, Henry being the only one living. His
father died the year of his birth, and he moved with his mother to Ontario
county and settled in Canandaigua. She
died in Farmington in April, 1846. Henry
was educated in the common schools, and as soon as he was old enough went to
work on farms at driving oxen. In
1858 he bought a farm of 50 acres in Canandaigua, to which he has added 37
acres, and devotes the farm to grain. Mr.
BROOKS married, November 30, 1837, Elvira,
daughter of Israel LATHROP, of Geddes, Onondaga
county, and they had 6 children, three of whom lived to adult age: Maria,
who lives at home; Mary, wife of Francis
WALKER, a machinist of Newark, Oh.; and Henry F.
The latter was born March 20, 1852, was educated in Canandaigua
Academy, and began farming on his father's place.
March 29, 1876, he married Mary J.,
daughter of Richard PURDY, of Canandaigua, by
whom he had three children, two, George E. and Henry F.,
survive him. Their father
was drowned in Honeoye Lake, June 11, 1884, and a large community mourned his
death. He was conscientious, a
member of the church, and a devoted son.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 229
BROOKS, J. A., Clifton
Springs, was born in Broome county, NY, February 15, 1859.
He received a good education in the schools of that vicinity and
Cortland Normal School. Is also a
graduate of Lowell's Business College, Binghamton.
He was engaged in mercantile work after this for four years; then was
identified with Y. M. C. A. work for two or three years as general secretary.
Mr. BROOKS then became identified with the
Clifton Springs Manufacturing Company, of which he is the superintendent and a
trustee. He married Miss
A. M. PLACE of Broome county, and they have one child, a boy.
Mr. BROOKS is a member of the Methodist
Church and is a member of The American Association of Inventors and
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 77
BROOKS was born
in Cheshire, Conn., in 1775, removing with his parents to western New York and
settling with them on a farm in the town of Bloomfield in 1799.
He was for twenty years an Associate Judge of the Ontario County Court
of Common Please; represented the county in the State Assembly, in 1808 and
1809; was a member of the 14th Congress, 1815-1817; was a delegate to
the Constitutional Convention of 1821, and in 1824 was chosen a Presidential
Elector. He died in Livingston county, July 7, 1857.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 20
BROWN, Levi Aldrich was born in the southern part of
the town of Farmington, January 10, 1813, on the place where he now resides
and has resided there since 1834. The
BROWN homestead was originally bought for 25 cents per acre.
He was educated in the common and select schools and followed farming.
July 2, 1834, he married Lorana B., daughter of
Esek and Sarah ALDRICH,
of Farmington. They have no
children. Mr. BROWN's father
William, was born in Cumberland, RI, February 28, 1778.
He married Martha HILL, of Swansea, RI, in Farmington October 27, 1805,
and had four children: Chloe, Hannah M., Nancy Jane and Levi A.
Chloe died when she was 6 years old.
The father was killed in a friendly wrestling match with a neighbor,
April 28, 1814, and the mother married Jacob SMITH, a son of one of the first
settlers of the town. They had
three children: Mary, William and
Phebe. Mrs. BROWN's father
ALDRICH, was born August 29, 1779, in Northbridge, Worcester county, Mass.,
and came to Farmington March 1, 1801, and went back for his mother in 1802,
and she rode the entire distance on horseback.
He married Sarah BIRDSALL, of Perinton, Monroe county, April 14, 1811,
and they had six children:
Royal, Lorana B., Joseph B., Esek and Jessie B.
Mrs. BROWN's father, Esek ALDRICH, died May 28, 1858.
He was a descendant of George ALDRICH, of Berkshire, Eng., the first
ALDRICH who came to America in 1631. Her
mother died December 7, 1857. On
both the paternal and maternal sides they are Orthodox Friends.
One of Mrs. BROWN's uncles, Stephen
ALDRICH, was the first physician in
the town of Farmington.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 25
BROWN, Andrew, Canadice, was born in Springwater,
Livingston county, September 26, 1839. His
father, Thomas BROWN, a native of Niagara county, settled in Springwater early
in 1836, and was a farmer in that town. He
married Sylvia BATES, who was born in Lima.
Orlando, only brother of Andrew, was born in 1836.
Andrew was educated at the district schools and has always been a
farmer. He married in 1877 Janette, daughter of
Luke JOHNSON, of
Canadice, and they have two children living: Sylvia C., born in 1878, and
Martha Ann, born 1889. Mr. BROWN
has 200 acres in his home farm on Ball Hill, and is a Democrat in politics.
Luke JOHNSON married Martha Ann
GRANT, a native of Springwater, and his
children were: Benjamin Franklin, of Springwater;
Janette (BROWN); Homer Luke,
a farmer in this town; and Bradley M.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 27
BROWN, Rev. Silas Clark, West Bloomfield, was born
in Northampton, Mass., in 1797. He
settled in Steuben county, where he taught school several years.
He graduated from Union College in 1826 and was at Auburn Theological
Seminary in 1827. He came to West
Bloomfield about 1828 and married in 1830, Mary CLEVELAND
of Livonia, who was
born in Brookline, Conn., in 1800. Their
children were: Lucia, Mary, wife
of Rev. H. H. REID of New York; Sarah Louisa, now residing in her pleasant
home in this town; Henry Clark, also of this place; and
Augustus Cleveland, a
lawyer in New York. Mr. BROWN
became a Congregational clergyman, and began his first pastorate here, April
23, 1828. He preached also in Batavia, York and other places, and died
here in 1876, after several years of retirement.
His son, Henry C., born in 1841, was educated in Hopkins Grammer
School, New Haven, at Watertown Academy and at the East Bloomfield Academy.
He married in 1866 Amanda G. SEARS of East Bloomfield, and has three
sons: Henry Sears, Albert Reid and Augustus Cleveland.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 31
BROWN, C(alvin) P., Shortsville, was born at Nassau, Rensselaer county, in 1824. He received an excellent education in the schools of that vicinity, and early became identified with the Empire Drill Company of Shortsville. He is now the largest stockholder of this concern. Mr. BROWN has held the office of trustee of the village since its incorporation. His wife was Cornelia E. DRUMMOND, and they have four children living.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 33
BROWN, Francis L., Shortsville, was born in Newark,
town of Arcadia, Wayne county, NY, November 12, 1841. He was educated in the schools of Wayne county and Nassau,
Rensselaer county. In 1861, April
22, he enlisted in the 33rd Regiment New York Infantry, Company D.
Mr. BROWN remained in this regiment until 1863, when he received his
discharge on the 2d of June from Co. G, to which he had been transferred.
He returned to Ontario county and raised a cavalry company, of which he
was appointed captain, and which was mustered into the United States service
January 19, 1864, as Company L, 24th Regiment New York Cavalry. Captain BROWN was severely wounded at Bethesda Church June 1,
1864, the beginning of the three days' fight at Cold Harbor.
Captain BROWN remained in service when he had to walk with a crutch and
when on horseback carry his crutch in his hand.
He was with Grant and Sheridan at Appomattox, and was finally mustered
out at the close of the Civil War as senior
Captain of his regiment.
Captain BROWN then returned to Shortsville and entered the employ of H.
L. & C. P. BROWN, manufacturers of grain drills.
In the spring of 1867 he commenced the study of law in the office of
Folger & Mason at Geneva, and took a two years' law course at Ann Arbor,
Mich. He was admitted to the bar
at the General Term in June, 1869, and has since been actively engaged in the
practice of his profession.
BROWN is a prominent member of the G. A. R., is a trustee of the Manchester
Cemetery Association, and also of the Herendeen Post Soldiers' Monument
Association, and mainly through his efforts an imposing soldiers' monument has
been erected at Shortsville. He
never held any political office. In
1879 he was the republican candidate for member of assembly in the First
Assembly District of Ontario county, but was beaten because the district was
strongly Democratic. He carried
his own town by a majority of 198, which was at that time the largest majority
that the town had ever given any candidate for a contested position.
In January, 1870, he was united in marriage to Miss Flora E.
Geneva, and they have a family of 8 children, six sons and two daughters.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 266
BROWN, Charles L.,
Victor, was born in Lodi, Seneca county, March 25, 1852.
He was educated in the public schools and Bryant & Stratton's
Commercial College of Rochester. He
is at present in the drug store of Frank E. COBB.
Mr. BROWN has been treasurer of the village, collector of the
town, and is serving his second term as town clerk.
He has also been secretary of the American Legion of Honor.
January 27, 1880, he married Mary A., only
child of Montgomery and Johanna CAMP of Victor,
and they have two children: Vera H. and Tuthill G.
Rev. John M. BROWN, father of Charles L.,
was born in 1818, and received an academic education. He married Eliza A. GRAHAM of
Orange county, and they had two sons and a daughter: William
G., Charles L., and Alice G., who died aged 24 years.
Mr. BROWN was retired from active service
in the church (M. E.) after 50 years of continuous ministry, without missing
an appointment. He enlisted in the 11th New York Volunteers
for three years
and was honorably discharged at the close of the Civil
War. His position was such that he received very fine locations
and churches, and in the conference served on several important committees.
BROWN & STAFFORD
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 458 - 459
Hiram L. BROWN, father
of Charles W. BROWN, late of Shortsville, New
York, was one of the original founders of the Empire Drill Company of
Shortsville, founded by Calvin P. and Hiram L. BROWN,
brothers, one of the leading industries of the town.
Hiram L. BROWN was considered one of the
foremost citizens of the village, taking an active interest in all that
concerned its welfare and advancement. He
married Hester A. BONKER, and among their
children was Charles W., see forward.
Charles W., son of Hiram
L. and Hester A. (BONKER) BROWN, was born at Newark, Wayne county, New
York, July 13, 1848. His
education was acquired in the schools adjacent to his home, and later he
followed a commercial life, filling many positions of trust and honor, in all
of which his work was performed faithfully and conscientiously.
He served in the capacity of justice of the peace, being elected on the
republican ticket. He was
public-spirited and patriotic, acting always as a loyal citizen, and as son,
husband and father performed his part well.
He married, September 16, 1869, Mary M. STAFFORD (See
pg. 91) , who bore him two children: Mabel
E., born April 24, 1871, married Daniel A.
EISELINE; E. Ernest, born March 8, 1873.
Mr. BROWN died October 14, 1897.
of Joshua STAFFORD, and grandfather of
Mary M. (STAFFORD) BROWN, was born April 3, 1776, in Tiverton, Rhode
Island, from whence he removed to Manchester, New York, accompanied by his
wife, Mary (COOK) STAFFORD.
They were the parents of a son, John,
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 461 - 462
The earliest representative of the branch of the BROWN
family here under consideration, of whom he have definite information,
was Jesse BROWN, a resident of New York state,
who married Roxanna GRANT, a cousin of the father
of ex-President Ulysses S. GRANT.
( II ) John N., son of Jesse
and Roxanna (GRANT) BROWN, was born in Milford, Otsego county, New
York, August 10, 1818, died August 4, 1895.
After pursuing a classical and theological course, he became a minister
of the Methodist denomination and held the following charges:
Big Flats, Hector, Mecklenburg, Lodi, Dundee, Palmyra, Rochester,
Phelps and Clyde, in all of which his services were highly appreciated and
were instrumental in the saving of many souls.
He also served for three years as private and chaplain in the 111th New
York Volunteer Regiment during the Civil War, and after the cessation of
hostilities was appointed presiding elder of the Hornellsville, Western New
York Conference. He was one of
the committee of five to revise the Methodist Hymn Book at the conference held
at Baltimore, New York, in 1874. He
married Eliza GRAHAM, who is living at the
present time (1911). Among their children was Charles L.,
( III ) Charles L., son of John
N. and Eliza (GRAHAM) BROWN, was born in Lodi, New York, March 25,
1852. He attended the public and
high schools of Rochester, and the knowledge thus acquired was supplemented by
attendance at the Rochester Business University.
He followed commercial pursuits for a long period of time, these
proving highly remunerative, and in 1890 engaged in the drug business in
Victor, New York, continuing in the same up to the present time, achieving a
large degree of success. In
addition to his business career, he has been active in the political life of
his adopted city, serving in the capacity of clerk of the town one term,
member of the board of inspectors of elections about 15 years, elected town
clerk in 1891, holding that office continuously to the present time with the
exception of two years, treasurer of the village corporation for about seven
years, also instituted the form of keeping books now used in the treasurer's
office. His religious affiliation
is with the Methodist church, and his political with the Republican party.
He is a member of Mystic Circle and a charter member of the Order of
Turkeys. This brief resume of Mr.
BROWN'S many spheres of activity proves the broadness of his mental
vision, and whether considered as merchant, employer, churchman, politician or
clubman, he has always been found true to himself and true to his fellows.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 122
of Committee on Resolutions of the Anti-Nebraska convention at Canandaigua,
August 5, 1854. Early became
prominent in the Republican party and was for many ears one of its most
influential county leaders. Born
in East Bloomfield, August 14, 1824; represented that town in the Board of
Supervisors in 1859-1861; Member of Assembly in 1865-1866.
Removed in 1879 to Solomon City, Kansas, and was postmaster at that
place at the time of his death, August 5, 1890.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 34 -35
BURGE, Silas, Bristol, was born in Athens, O., in 1818. His father, Joseph, spent his life as a farmer in Ohio, and Silas was educated in the common schools. His parents died when he was a boy and he was bound out to a Mr. JONES, with whom he went to Buffalo when 9 years of age. At the age of 12 he started in life for himself. He went to Bristol and there for a number of years worked by the month, and then bought the farm now owned by James REED. Mr. BURGE followed farming until 1873, when he went to Bristol Centre, and has since lived retired. He has been four times married; first to Ann, daughter of John TAYLOR, by whom he had four children: E. Whitefield, Victoria L., Ida A., and Lillian M. Mrs. BURGE died May 6, 1858, and he married second Jane (REED) BENEDICT, of Canandaigua, and had one child, Jennie L. The third wife of Mr. BURGE was Ann M. GROVIN, and the fourth, Nellie M. RODGERS of Canandaigua. Mr. BURGE is a Republican and voted for William Henry HARRISON and also for his grandson, Benjamin. Mr. BURGE is a member of the M. E. Church, of which he was class leader and chorister many years. E. Whitefield BURGE was born in Bristol, June 7, 1845. December, 1863, he enlisted in Company H., 4th New York Heavy Artillery, and served until September 26, 1865. He was in the following engagements: Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, Po River, Tolopotomy Creek, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Hatcher's Run, Peeble's Farm, Southside Railroad, Five Forks, Clover Hill, Sullivan's Station, and Lee's Surrender, and was wounded at Petersburg. He graduated from Canandaigua Academy in 1872, and then followed teaching and the mercantile business in 1881. He then discontinued teaching and became a pension attorney. In 1876 he married Lillian, one of four children of Joseph A. and Charlott (WILCOX) ALLEN. Mr. and Mrs. BURGE have four children: Allen R., Francis T., Carlton S., and Bessie. Mr. BURGE is a Populist in politics, and has been justice of the peace 15 years, town clerk 2 years, and justice of sessions one year.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 273 - 274
Seneca, was born on his grandfather's homestead, upon which he resides, near
Hall's Corners, April 29, 1825. He
was educated in the schools of his day and has followed farming.
June 7, 1869, he married Elizabeth PARKER
of Oswego, Kendall county, IL, and they have two sons:
Edward P. and Thomas W., both well educated and farmers with their
BURRELL's father, Thomas, was born in
Northumberland, England, in 1796, and came to the United States with his
father when he was four years old, locating here in September, 1800.
His mother was dead. He
was educated in the schools of that early day, was a farmer, and married Mary
HALL, formerly of England, coming here in 1801.
They had 7 children, five now living: Elizabeth,
who married Alexander TURNBULL; Edward, Catherine A.,
who married John C. WILSON; Margaret, died; Roger
H., who married Barbara KENNEDY and
resides in Monroe county; and Thomas D., who
married Violet A. DIXON, also resides in Monroe
county, and Mary Jane, dead.
Mr. BURRELL's grandfather, Edward,
was born at the old homestead in England, September 15, 1763.
He was married twice, first Elizabeth DIXON, by
whom he had two children, Thomas and Margaret.
She died in England and he married second, Deborah
WOOD of Hall's Corners, and had three children: Jane,
Dorothy and Catherine. Mr.
BURRELL's father was one of the elders in the Presbyterian church at
Seneca. Both himself and wife are
members of the same church.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 459 - 460
The late Dr. Dwight R. BURRELL,
for nearly 35 years a prominent and honored citizen of Canandaigua,
New York, actively identified with its social and business life, enlisting in
every movement that was made for the progress and prosperity of the community,
was born at Sheffield, Loraine county, Ohio, March 1, 1843, at the homestead
which his grandfather had built nearly a quarter of a century before and which
today remains in possession of the 5th generation of the BURRELL
After spending his boyhood on the farm and gaining
his preparatory education in the common schools of the neighborhood, he took a
course of study at Oberlin College, graduating from that institutor, in 1866.
He subsequently took the medical course at the Michigan University, Ann
Arbor, and upon its completion first engaged in the practice of his profession
as an assistant physician in the New York City Asylum for the Insane on
Blackwell's Island. After a
year's service there, Dr. BURRELL took a similar
position in the Bloomingdale Asylum in New York City, where he remained for
about seven years. In 1876 he
received a call from Canandaigua, New York, to take the position of resident
physician at Brigham Hall, which had been made vacant in June of that year by
the tragic death of its founder, Dr. George COOK. Dr. BURRELL then entered upon the management of an
institution which had already gained wide reputation of its success in
treating nervous disorders and which had been named in honor of his own uncle,
Dr. Amariah BRIGHAM, eminent for many years as
the superintendent of the State Hospital at Utica.
That Dr. BURRELL maintained the reputation
of Brigham Hall on the high plane upon which it had been established and
developed its work in a way that won it recognition as a model among private
institutions of its character, is a sufficient eulogium upon his ability as an
alienist and upon the character of his service to suffering humanity.
By his active participation in public affairs, Dr.
BURRELL soon became recognized as one of the leading and
public-spirited citizens of Canandaigua.
Although not a politician in the true sense of the word, he was keenly
interested in the success of the Republican party in his adopted city and
state, also in the nation. In
1895 he was nominated and elected on its ticket to the office of village
trustee from the fourth ward, and so efficient were his services in that
capacity that he became the candidate of his party in January, 1897, for the
office of village president. He
was defeated at the succeeding election and the cause of village progress was
temporarily checked, but he lived to see the village accept with practical
unanimity the ideas which he had advanced, and to be accorded popular
recognition for the part which he had taken in the inception of the movement
for an approved and thorough system of street improvement.
He was appointed president of the Canandaigua Association upon its
organization in 1902 and held that position to the time of his death.
His interest in preserving the trees of the village and in forwarding
every step that made for the beauty of its streets and parks never slept.
He was one of the organizers of the Canandaigua Cemetery Association
and served as a member of its board of trustees.
He also took great interest in everything that
pertained to the history of the region of the state in which he resided, and
in public addresses, in the erection of boulder memorials, and in his service
as an officer of the County Historical Society, he was instrumental in
fostering public pride in the events through which Western New York was opened
to settlement and brought into vital relations with the life of the Nation.
Dr. BURRELL displayed his patriotism to
his country by enlisting, while yet a student at Oberlin, as a private in
Company K, 150th Ohio Volunteers.
was ever a
friend of the needy and suffering, and manifested that friendship in numerous
unostentatious ways. He was a
member of the board of managers of the Clark Manor House and until his last
illness acted as its president. He
was also one of the incorporators of the Frederick Ferris Thompson Memorial
Hospital and acted for several years as a member of the executive committee in
charge of that institution. He
was a member of St. John's church and for years held the office of senior
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 271
Charles B., Phelps, was born in New York city, February 17, 1825, a son
of Arthur and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS.
The grandfather was John BURTIS of Long
Island. He was for 12 years
superintendent at Bellevue Hospital, and drew the plans and superintended the
work on the first building on Blackwell's Island.
Charles B. married, October 6, 1846, Catharine
GRANGE(R), sister of General Gordon GRANGE(R).
They had four children: Arthur B., Emma J., Henry
B., and Clara T., wife of Rev. C. F. PORTER.
Henry B. was born at Oaks' Corners, July 29, 1860.
He is the managing partner of the A. B. Curtis & Bro. fruit and
stock farm at Oaks' Corners. The
buildings were erected in 1887, and are a credit to the town as well as to the
proprietors. They have about thirty head of horses and colts, and their
enterprise is in a flourishing condition.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 271
BUTLER, W. K., Geneva,
son of William M., was born in Covert, Seneca county, June 26, 1850.
He received a common school education, and when fifteen years old went
to learn the carpenter's trade. In
1878 he commenced contracting and building, drawing his own plans.
He now employs twenty-five hands, and has a sash and blind and planing
factory. He built the Western
Hose Company's building, and has done some of the building at Willard Asylum.
He taught school 16 terms of school.
In 1872 he married Cornelia, daughter of Theodore
SWAN, and has four
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]