Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.
If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.
Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas. Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 12 - 13
BUCK, Rev. Daniel Dana, Geneva, was born in Lebanon, NH, September 10, 1814. While yet a child, the family emigrated to the "West'ard," as it was then termed, and settled in Scottsville, a few miles south of Rochester. When he was 14 years old he was taken into the employ of Mr. John MITCHELL, a merchant in Scottsville, with whom he continued 3 years. Then he found employment as a clerk in a mercantile house in Rochester for 5 years, when he was licensed to preach by the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Rochester, and was recommended for admission into the General Conference. According to the usage of the M. E. church, after being on trial for 2 years, he was admitted into full connection, and was ordained as a deacon. Two years thereafter he was elected to the order of elders, and was ordained as an elder. Mr. BUCK continued in the regular itinerant ministry, being appointed from year to year to various pastoral charges by the bishops until he had rendered 40 years of effective service. Feeling then the infirmities of age, and the need to rest and recuperation, with permission of the Conference he retired from the effective ranks, and located his residence in Geneva. Since making this his home, without a regular pastoral charge, he has been employed much of the time as a temporary pulpit supply for various churches of his own denomination, and also for the Reformed (Dutch) Church, the North Presbyterian Church, and the Baptist Church, in Geneva. In the spring of 1861 Mr. BUCK was commissioned as chaplain of the 27th Regiment New York State Volunteers, Colonel (afterwards Major-General) SLOCUM commanding. After about one year in the service, being disabled by malarial diseases, he was honorably discharged from the service. Mr. BUCK is the author of several volumes, ranging in size from 18mo. to octavo, and has contributed several articles for Quarterly Reviews. He has published several minor productions, mostly in prose, but some in poetry. He has been twice honored with the complimentary title of Doctor of Divinity, once by Allegheny College, at Meadville, Penn., and once by the Illinois Wesleyan University, at Bloomington, Ill. Mr. BUCK has been twice married; first, in 1837, to Philena ALDRICH, of Rochester, who died in 1869. The next year he was married to Mrs. Lorana ALDRICH, of Rochester. By his first wife he had a son, Milton Dana, who graduated from Syracuse University in the class of ' 75. He immediately accepted a call to a professorship in Napa College, an institution belonging to the California Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. After two or three years' service in the college, he entered upon what he considered to be his special life work, the regular ministry of the Gospel, and since that time, as pastor or presiding elder, he has been regularly employed in the ministry in that Conference. Professor BUCK married Martha Ross AMOS, who graduated at Napa College while he was connected with that institution. They have had four children, only two of whom survive.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 77-78
M. BUCK was born in
Shortsville, Ontario county, New York on January 16, 1835.
His ancestors settled in central New York, when the state was wild and
uncultivated, his maternal grandfather Theophilus
SHORT, in whose honor Shortsville was named, having been a member of
the �Old Holland Land Purchase Company,� and prominent in every way in the
affairs of the community. Attracted
by the fertility of the soil in this underdeveloped district, the company
purchased a large portion of central NY.
They at once proceeded to establish homes for the pioneers who were the
leading spirits. The venture was a daring one, but it proved so successful
that not only did the settles establish homes for themselves, but they were
able to leave valuable legacies to their descendants.
was there that Myron M. BUCK, founder of one
of the largest railroad supply houses in the country, was born and spent his
early years. His education, which
was a good one for the time, was receive in the public schools of his
district, and at the age of eighteen years he was in a position to make his
way in the world. He traveled
extensively through western New York and Canada, locating finally in New York
City, where he secured employment in a manufacturing establishment.
He showed great natural aptitude for this line of work, but, as it had
always been his ambition to build up a business of his own, it was but natural
that he should look farther west as the field best adapted to this idea.
He removed to Chicago, where he spent three years in the acquisition of
much valuable knowledge. In 1858 he went to St. Louis, Missouri, and engaged in the
manufacture of car trimmings, and acting on the policy that what a man wants
done will he must do himself. Mr.
BUCK gave his personal attention to the superintendence of every detail
of his business and was soon the owner as well as manager of a depot for the
sale of al kinds of railroad supplies. This
was the first establishment of its kind in the Mississippi Valley and it had
held its own during the past 32 years against all competitors.
It attracted attention to St. Louis in a very practical manner during
the railroad building period of the seventies, and the amount of business that
this industry brought to the city was enormous.
The house is one of the largest in the country, and St. Louis has just
cause to be proud of it. Mr.
BUCK had control of a number of immense contracts, all of which were
executed without thee slightest inconvenience to those most interested.
He went to the west with the fixed idea of growing up with the country,
and he certainly achieved his object. Although
his business interests occupied the greater portion of Mr.
BUCK�s time, he was too broad-minded and unselfish to neglect the
welfare of the city in any particular, and was always an important promoter of
any movement that would benefit it. Among
the many institutions with which Mr. BUCK was
actively connected, and in which he was a director, may be mentioned: The
Union Trust Company, Continental National Bank, and the Commercial Bank of St.
Louis. He was also a member of
the Mercantile, Noonday, St. Louis Commercial and Fair Grounds Jockey clubs.
Although naturally devoted to the interests of St. Louis, Mr.
BUCK did not forget the home of his youthful days.
He was the owner of a very handsome villa in Clifton Springs, Ontario
County, NY, where he annually spent several months with his family.
He said: � A few weeks sojourn in this fragrant valley inspires me
with new life and health to enter upon the duties of life once more.�
men succeeded as signally as Mr. BUCK.
To build up a business such as he owned was a task which not many
venture to attempt and in which even fewer would succeed.
He mapped out his ambitions career in his early years, and never
swerved from the path he had marked out for himself.
His unflagging industry and unfailing integrity combined with his
unusual executive ability enabled him to attain the reputation which was most
justly his � that of being a self-made man in the best sense of the words
� and one of whom St. Louis was justly proud.
He died March 30, 1906.
Mr. BUCK married Velma SAWYER, a native of Orleans, Ontario County, New York, August 12, 1875. She is the daughter of James Mosley and Anginette (SHORT) SAWYER. Mr. SAWYER was one of the well-to-do farmers of Ontario county and lived retired for many years. He died in Michigan, 1889.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 21 - 22
BUELL, Augustus, East Bloomfield, was born January 31, 1824, a son of Timothy, who was also a son of Timothy, a Revolutionary soldier from Goshen, Conn., who was twice married. In 1792 he came to East Bloomfield, and was an organizer and deacon of the Congregational church. He reared 6 children: Jonathan, Timothy, Theron, Eben, Eunice and Lucy. He died in 1849, aged 93 years. His son Timothy, was born in Connecticut in 1790, and came with his parents in 1792 to East Bloomfield, where he owned a homestead. He served as assemblyman in 1845, and as supervisor many years. He was also captain of militia, and died aged eighty-three. He married Lucy, daughter of Daniel and Aurelia (DOWD) RICE, and had 8 children, four sons and four daughters. His wife died 12 days after her husband, at the age of 79 years. Augustus was reared on a farm and received a district and academical education, at the age of 21, beginning for himself. In 1850 he bought his present residence, together with his brother, and later bought out the latter's share. He is a Republican in politics. He has been three times married. His first wife was Electa GAUSS, by whom he had 6 children, two surviving to adult age: Timothy, who died aged 27, and Arthur. His wife died in 1872, and he married second, Mary, daughter of William CONKLIN, by whom he had 3 children: William C., Lucy R., and Caroline L. His second wife died in 1885, and he married, third, Mary H., daughter of Henry SHAW. Subject has been connected for 42 years with the Congregational church.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 28
BUELL, Charles, East Bloomfield, was born where he
now resides, June 14, 1829. His
father was Timothy, son of Timothy, who came from Goshen, Conn., in 1792, and
died here in 1849, aged over 92 years.
His first wife was Olive NORTON, by whom he had these children:
Jonathan, Timothy (Jr.), Eben, Theron, Lucy and Unice. He married second, Charity NORTON, by whom he had no
children. The father (Timothy
Jr.) of our
subject was born in Connecticut in 1792, came to Bloomfield, and died in
January, 1873. He was a
republican, and served as assemblyman and supervisor.
He was a director of the Ontario and Livingston Insurance Company, and
was a progressive and enterprising citizen.
He married Lucy, daughter of Daniel and Aurelia (DOWD) RICE,
had these children: Frederick, Augustus, Charles, John (who enlisted in
Company B, 85th New York Volunteers; he was taken prisoner at
Plymouth, NC, in 1864, and died in Andersonville prison September 7, 1864; he
was a sergeant), Olive, Caroline, Alice and Ellen.
Charles received a district school and academic education, and at the
age of 21 began life for himself.
He has always lived on the homestead, and owns 143 acres.
He is a republican in politics. His
wife was Anna DUNN, born in Attica, by whom he has four children:
of Dr. John H. JEWETT; John L., Harry C. and Florence. Subject's mother died two weeks after her husband.
of Ontario County, NY Pub.
1911, Vol. 2, pg 354-356
1911, Vol. 2, pg 354-356
earliest record of this family is in 1270, when one William
de BEULE witnessed a charter granted by Henry III, for the protection
of ambassadors. In 1327 the king
sent a petition to the Court of Room by �our beloved Water
deBEULE.� In 1373,
John de BEULE was appointed by the king to be
a commander of Calais in France, with the title �Captain of Calais,� with
supreme power, both civil and criminal, and authorized him to conclude a truce
with the enjoys of Charles, King of France.
From this time, through the reigns of the first three Edwards, the BUELLS
held offices of honor and trust. In
the �Rolls of Hundreds,� of England, made by George III in 1812, is
contained an account of members of the BUELL
family as holding manors and public offices in many of the counties of
coat of arms has upon its shield three disks, which in heraldry indicate the
number of crusades in which the family had been represented.
Also, as its crest, a winged horse rampant, upon an ermine trimmed cap,
and carrying in its mouth an olive branch.
The ermine trimmed cap was in early days given to untitled men, but
only in acknowledgment of distinguished service.
The olive branch is a symbol of diplomatic service.
Motto: Prodesse quam conspici.
We read in ancient records that one Robert
BUELE was made knight of the shire for Huntingdonshire in 1440 under
Henry IV. Descending two hundred
years through a like of knights and baronets to 1610 there was born:
Chesterton, Huntingdonshire, England, the ancestor of all of that name in
America, who died at Windsor, November 23, 1681.
He sailed from Plymouth, England, March 31, 1630 in the company
conducted by Rev. John WAREHAM, on the ship
�Mary and John�, and landed at Nantasket, Boston Bay, May 30.
He settled at Dorchester, Massachusetts, and five years later became
one of the proprietors of the new settlement at Windsor. After residing these five years he married Mary
____. Their children: Samuel,
see forward, Peter, and there may have been
son of William and Mary BUELL, was born at
Windsor in 1641, and later became one of the founders of Killingsworth.
He held an umber of public offices, was a man of large property and is
on town records as a �gentleman.� He married, 1661 to Deborah
GRISWOLD of Windsor. He
had seven sons and five daughters, of whom Mary
and Hannah married Henry
and Joseph PORTER, and settled at Niagara, western New York.
son of Samuel and Deborah (GRISWOLD) BUELL, was
born February 1671 and appears on the records as deacon and captain.
He was one of the petitioners in May 1719 for the settlement of what is
now Litchfield. After his
marriage he removed to Lebanon, Connecticut where he became a deacon of the
church. He married
Mary LOOMIS. His eldest
daughter married Lieutenant John MARSH of
son of John and Mary (LOOMIS) BUELL, was born
at Lebanon, December 13, 1717 and he and his wife are buried at Goshen.
He served in the Revolution, and was known as Captain
Jonathan. He came to
Litchfield with his father in 1720, and when the town of Goshen was laid out
it was found that the line of division between it and Litchfield ran through
his house, and he and his wife became members of the church at Goshen.
They had ten children, among whom were: Jonathan
Jr., served in the Revolution; Timothy,
Timothy BUELL, son
of Jonathan BUELL, was born at Goshen, May 3,
1757. He served in the Revolution
and in May 1794 was appointed captain of the 4th company of militia, 35th regiment, Connecticut. In
February 1799 he removed with his to East Bloomfield.
He married, 1777 at Goshen, Connecticut to Olive,
daughter of Colonel Ebenezer NORTON.
Children all born in Goshen were: Lucy,
married (first) Daniel STEELE, (second) Bayze
BAKER; Eunice married (first) Azael SPRAGUE,
(second) Thomas KELLOGG; Jonathan, see
forward; Theron married Love
Lee, daughter of Rev. Aaron COLLINS; Timothy, see
forward; Eben Norton married Rebecca,
daughter of Jesse ROOT of Hartford,
(2), son of Captain
Timothy and Olive (NORTON) BUELL, served as sheriff of the county and
as a member of the assembly, and died in 1865.
Her married (first) Sally, who died in
1845, daughter of Daniel and Aurelia (DOWD) RICE;
(second) to Mrs. Caroline (BUELL) ROBINSON.
Children: Mortimer, see forward; Pomery
Baldwin; Henry married Sarah MATHER of
Richmond; Sally Ann; Mary Saxton.
of Jonathan (2) and Sally (RICE) BUELL, was
born in East Bloomfield November 11, 1808, and died in Rochester, January 27,
1885. He married at Victor, New
York, Edna, daughter of Jared
and Olive (STONE) BOUGHTON. Children:
Pomery Birdseye; Katharien Maria, see forward; Augusta
Williams married Martin W. COOKE; Arthur
Stone; Albert Mortimer, died of disease contracted in military service;
Jesse W., a physician in Rochester, married M.E.
CAREY, died February 7, 1911; Walter,
famous as an editor and historical writer.
Katharine Maria, daughter
of Mortimer and Edna (BOUGHTON) BUELL, was
born in East Bloomfield, May 20, 1838. She
married Samuel Collins HART.
of Captain Timothy (1) and Olive (NORTON) BUELL,
was born in Goshen, Connecticut, December 8, 1791, died in East Bloomfield
January 16, 1873. He resided on
the Buell homestead. He married Lucy,
daughter of Daniel RICE.
Children born in East Bloomfield:
Olive, born August 30, 1815, married Frederick
MUNSON; 2. Caroline,
born May 8, 1817, died October 19, 1891; 3.
Frederick born April 29, 1819, died in Buffalo
1894, married in 1844 to Eliza STORRS; 4.
Charles, born March 17, 1821, died 1822; 5.
Augustus born January 31, 1824, married
(first) Electa GAUSS; their children: Timothy 3rd born in East Bloomfield on May 30, 1856,
married 1881 Alsada MOTT and died 1895; Lucy
Electra, died in infancy; Mary Eliza,
died in infancy; Arthur born August 31, 1864,
married Alice A. WHEELER of East Bloomfield; Ameila,
born 1866 died in infancy; Augustus married
(second) Mary A. CONKLIN and their children: William
Conklin married in 1907 to May ARNOLD
and in 1906 bought the homestead of Charles BUELL and
resides there; Lucy Rice; Caroline Louise,
married in 1910 to Henry C. ARNOLD and resides
in East Bloomfield; 6. Alice
born 1826 resides in East Bloomfield; 7.
Charles, born June 14, 1829 lived at the homestead in East Bloomfield
but sold it in 1906 to William son of Augustus
X. BUELL, and moved to Canandaigua, married 1858 to Anna DUNN and their children: John
Livingston, born October 6, 1864; Kezzie
born in East Bloomfield 1859, married 1884 to Dr. John
H. JEWETT of Canandaigua; Harry Chapin born
in East Bloomfield, January 7, 1867, physician of Canandaigua, NY, married Augusta
TABER on June 27, 1905; Florence Davis
born in East Bloomfield, resides in Canandiagua; 8.
Ellen, born January 1, 1832, died at East
Bloomfield, May 15,1885 and married in 1857 to Rev.
Alexander MC GLASHEN, who died at St. Catharine�s, Ontario, on
September 9, 1867 and their surviving children: Henry
Stoddart born 1863 resides in East Bloomfield; Archibald
Alexander, born 1867, A.B Amherst, M.A. Columbia, L.L. B. Columbia Law
School, a lawyer in New York City. 9. John,
born June 24, 1834, died September 18, 1864 at Andersonville Prison, Georgia;
he enlisted in 1861 and was taken prisoner at Plymouth, North Carolina, April
(See section on Military - Civil War)
(See section on Military - Civil War)
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 20 - 21
BURCH, Birdsey Hawley, Canadice, was born in
Salisbury, Litchfield county, Conn., September 30, 1831.
His father, John I., was of English descent, and a native of Rhode
Island. He married Fidelia RACE,
and came to Canadice in 1842. Of their 8 children four are now living: Henry, of
Newark, NJ; Laura, widow of G.
GIBBS, of Wassaic, NY; Thomas, who lives in
Union Springs, but whose business is in Syracuse; Sabrina
E., wife of Albert STONE, of New York; and
Birdsey H., who was educated at Claverack, near
Hudson, and at the schools here. He
married in 1859 Alvira ADAMS, daughter of Joseph and Charlotte ADAMS,
have one son, Marcus Bronson, born in 1861, now a billing clerk in the employ
of the D. L. & W. R. R. Co. at Dansville, NY.
He married Delta, daughter of D. S. and Mary BEAM. Mr. BURCH has 116 acres in his farm on
the east side of Canadice Lake, and has for 3 years been engaged in buying
and shipping hay to New York and New England.
He has served as commissioner of highways and collector, and was
supervisor in 1886-87, being a Democrat in politics. The children of Joseph and Charlotte ADAMS are:
Hester Ann SPAULDING, who lives in Michigan;
Margaret SNOOK, who lives
in California; and Alvirah, wife of Mr.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 18
BURGDORF, J. M., Clifton Springs, was born at Honeoye Falls, January 3, 1855. He was the son of the Rev. J. C. BURGDORF, who was preaching there at that time, but subsequently moved to Yellow Springs, O., Newark, Wayne county, Rural Grove, Montgomery county, Union Springs, Cayuga county, where he finished his ministry. After retiring he finally settled in Clifton Springs, where he died on April 30, 1889, and was buried there. J. M. BURGDORF began business in Newark, Wayne county, where he lived in 1876, when he married Miss Lottie, youngest daughter of William WAYNE, of Clifton Springs. In 1877 he established himself in the furniture and undertaking business in this village, and has so won the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens that his trade has assumed large and prosperous proportions, despite the fact that his establishment was completely consumed by fire in 1882, causing a heavy loss to him on account of small insurance and the burning of books. In 1888 he erected his present spacious salesrooms, consisting of three floors 40x90 feet. His thorough business qualifications caused him to make a special study of the embalming of the dead, and in this work he is rated among the best. He has received many very complimentary letters from noted and wealthy people of all parts of the United States, who were obliged to call upon him in the capacity of undertaker to conduct the preservation and distant transit necessary to the removal of deceased friends, whose cases have been among the incurable at the Sanitarium, to their far away homes. He is considered one of the most energetic and influential members of the community in which he lives, is connected with the Legion of Honor, A. O. U. W., and K. of P. Mr. and Mrs. BURGDORF have had two daughters, Mae and Belle.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 26
BURNETT, Jean La Rue, was born January 10, 1871, in Canandaigua where he has since resided. He began his education in the Union School of that village, supplementing it with a course in the Canandaigua Academy where he prepared for college, graduating from the institution in 1889. He commenced the study of law and afterwards entered the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, by which institution he was graduated in 1892 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He early displayed journalistic and literary genius, and for several years has been a versatile contributor of both verse and prose to periodicals in every section of the United States, having been actively connected with numerous prominent journals in the capacity of general staff correspondent. Mr. BURNETT has always been an enthusiastic republican in politics and was one of the five originators of the scheme for the organization of the American Collegiate Republican League, with a membership of over 60,000, which gained national reputation for its influence exerted in the presidential campaign of 1892. He received the honor of being selected by the organization to act as toast master upon the occasion of its first annual banquet held at Ann Arbor on May 17, 1892, in honor of many distinguished guests among whom were General Russell A. ALGER, of Michigan; Hon. J. Sloat FASSETT, of New York; Hon. William McKINLEY, of Ohio; Hon. John M. THURSTON, of Nebraska; Hon. William E. MASON, of Illinois, and many others. It was upon this occasion that his eloquent introductory address and felicitous remarks in presenting the speakers brought him conspicuously to the notice of General ALGER and Governor MC KINLEY, and when the national campaign opened, upon the recommendation of these gentlemen, the State Committee of New York appointed the subject of this sketch one of its regular speakers, and during the canvass he delivered addresses in various parts of the State, gaining a name as an orator of marked ability. He was the youngest speaker upon the stump in New York during this campaign. He was examined before the Supreme Court of Michigan and admitted to practice January 15, 1892. He was admitted to the bar of New York March 30, 1893.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 172
was born in Canandaigua in 1871; studied law with Hon.
Walter H. KNAPP; admitted to the bar in 1892; Member of Assembly from
Ontario county, from January 1, 1899, to the time of his death, which occurred
in Albany, February 26, 1907.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911,
Vol. II, pg. 419 - 420
Jean La Rue BURNETT,
whose early death was greatly deplored, and whose career as a lawyer and
statesman had shown much promise for the future, was a son of Perrine
BURNETT, a veteran of the Civil War, son of Jonathan
and Elizabeth (MEAD) BURNETT. Perrine
BURNETT married Harriet E., daughter of Edwin
and Eliza (BARTO) ROWLEY. Edwin
ROWLEY was a son of Judah ROWLEY, a
pioneer of Ontario county.
Jean La Rue BURNETT
born in Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, January 10, 1871, died in
Albany, New York, February 27, 1907. He
was a student at the Union School and at Canandaigua Academy, from which he
was graduated in 1889. He then
commenced reading law and later became a student in the law department of the
University of Michigan, and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws
in 1892. He was unusually gifted
with journalistic and literary genius and was a contributor in both prose and
verse to periodicals in all parts of the United States.
He passed the examination of the supreme court of Michigan and was
admitted to practice in January 1892, and to the bar of New York, March 30,
1893. His political affiliations
were with the republican party, and he was one of the five organizers of the
American Collegiate Republican League, which gained national reputation for
the influence it exerted in the presidential campaign of 1892.
He was honored by that organization by being selected as its
toastmaster on the occasion of its first annual banquet, and the eloquence of
his introductory address brought him so conspicuously to the notice of
Governor ALGER and Governor
McKINLEY that when the national campaign opened, upon the
recommendation of these gentlemen, the state committee of New York appointed Mr.
BURNETT as one of its regular speakers, and his subsequent address
gained for him a name as an orator of marked ability.
He was chief clerk of the assembly revision committee, and in 1898 was
elected member of assembly and was continuously re-elected to that office,
which he held at the time of his death. The
fact that Mr. BURNETT was nine times nominated
and elected with practical unanimity to the assembly, a record never before
approached by a representative of Ontario county in that body, evidences
better than words the esteem in which he was held by the people who knew him
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911,
Vol II, pg. 434 - 435
The first member of this family of whom we have
definite information is Thomas BURNETTE, who
married Mary WOODIN.
Among their children was Hiram, referred
( II ) Hiram, son of Thomas
and Mary (WOODIN) BURNETTE, was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario
county, New York, died March 29, 1893. He
was a farmer and a member of the local Masonic lodge.
He was also a member of the Universalist church and took a great
interest in its affairs, being instrumental in building their new church at
Newark, New York, of which he was a trustee.
He married (first) Mary RUPERTS and
(second) Eliza Ann, daughter of Milton
PARSONS, of Columbia county, New York, who died January 13, 1910.
Children by first marriage: Andrew J. and Mary L.
Children by second marriage: Ada
A., married Charles E. KELLY, of Newark,
New York; Milton T., died in 1892, married Margaret
Van EETTON; Jennie E.; Ulysses Grant,
referred to below; Frank H., referred to below.
( III ) Ulysses Grant, son of Hiram
and Eliza Ann (PARSONS) BURNETTE, was born in the town of Phelps,
Ontario county, New York, October 1, 1865, and is now living there.
He received his education in the Union school of Phelps, and then
worked a farm for twenty years. In
1907 he came to the village of Phelps, where he engaged in the coal and
produce business with Charles D. WHITE, under the
firm name of White & Burnette. He
was road commissioner for three years. He is a member of Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, Free and Accepted
Masons, and at one time master of the lodge; also a member of Geneva Chapter,
No. 36, Royal Arch Masons; of Geneva Commandery, No. 29, Knights Templar; of
Damascus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and
of Wide Awake Grange, No. 447. He
is an attendant of the Universalist church.
In political belief he is a Republican.
He married, in March, 1890, Anna
May, daughter of Horton and Mary E. CROSBY.
One son, Robert CROSBY, born February 1,
1903, married Marion CAVES.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 28
BURRELL, T. J. and George, proprietors of Shepherd's
Mill at East Bloomfield, came from near Toronto, Canada.
In 1870 they purchased the property where they now live, and have since
carried on a very successful business. They
use the roller process, and the capacity of the mill is forty barrels a day.
They do a large business in exchange and feed grinding.
George BURRELL was born in Canada, and after coming to East Bloomfield
married Lydia DIBBLE, a native of that place and daughter of
To Mr. BURRELL and wife were born one son and one daughter:
George A. and Marcia A.
latter died at the age of 4 years. George
A. is at present attending the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary.
Mrs. BURRELL and son are members of the M. E. church.
Mr. BURRELL enlisted in 108th New York Volunteers in
1862, and after serving about two years received his discharge on account of
disability. He and his brother T.
J. are republicans.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 273
BURRELL, Edward, Seneca, was born on his grandparent's homestead, upon which he resides, near Halls Corners, April 29, 1825. He was educated in the schools of his day and has followed farming. June 7, 1869, he married Elizabeth PARKER of Oswego, Kendall Co., ILL and they have 2 sons: Edward P. & Thomas W., both well educated and farmers with their father. Mr. BURRELL'S father, Thomas, was born in Northumberland, England in 1796, and came to the United States with his father, when he was but 4 years old, locating here in September 1800. His mother was dead. He was educated in the schools of that early day, was a farmer, and married Mary HALL, formerly of England, coming here in 1801. They had 7 children, 5 now living: Elizabeth, who married Alexander TURNBULL; Edward, Catherine A.,, who married John C. WILSON; Margaret, died; Roger H., who married Barbara KENNEDY and resides in Monroe county; and Thomas D., who married Violet A. DIXON, also resides in Monroe county and Mary Jane, dead. Mr. BURRELL's grandfather, Edward, was born at the old homestead in England, Sept 15, 1763. He had married twice, first Elizabeth DIXON, by whom he had 2 children, Thomas and Margaret. She died in England and he married 2nd, Deborah WOOD, of Hall's Corners, and had 3 children: Jane, Dorothy and Catherine. Mr. BURRELL's father was one of the elders in the Presbyterian church at Seneca. Both himself and wife are members of the same church.
History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, published 1911, pg 112
T. William BURRELL belongs to that class of citizens who have been generally overlooked by the biographers of modern times in favor of those whose paths in life lie in the learned professions. Yet it is a fact that no class is more worthy of the respect and esteem of all their fellows than those who labor earnestly to bring from the earth the best that it can yield, and improve and advance the methods of cultivation. The BURRELL family has been engaged in agricultural pursuits for many generations and came to this country in the eighteenth century from Northumberland county, England.
Thomas BURRELL, grandfather of T. William BURRELL, came to this country with his father, Edward BURRELL, September, 1800, when he was but four years of age. Seneca township, Ontario county, New York, was decided upon as a suitable location for a family home, and the homestead has been in the possession of the family since 1801. It consists of one hundred and seventy-five acres of land, the greater part of which is now being cultivated.
Edward, Son of Thomas BURRELL, was born on the homestead in 1825, and after the land had passed into his possession made the improvements which the times and conditions warranted. He married Elizabeth PARKER, who was also of English descent. He died in 1907, while his wife passed away in 1902. Children: T. William, see forward, and Edward P.
T. William, son of Edward and Elizabeth (PARKER) BURRELL, was born on the family homestead, November 8, 1872. His education was acquired in the district schools, and was supplemented by a course at Canandaigua Academy. While still attending school he assisted in the farm labors during the summer vacations and during all his spare hours, and thus acquired a thorough knowledge of all the details connected with the successful management of a farm. This knowledge he has put to the best practical use, has continued to follow up all the later improvements in this field, and is ever ready to give a fair and unbiased trial to any new device or invention which has been developed. Scientific farming has been a great interest for him and he has been successful in the experiments he has made in this direction. Mr. BURRELL is a quiet and unassuming man, modest and retiring in his demeanor, yet he takes an active interest in all the matters that concern the welfare of the community and gives his earnest support to the republican party. He is a member of the No. 9 Presbyterian Church. Mr. BURRELL is unmarried.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 222 - 224
William Matthews BURT, the first member of this family of whom we have definite information,
lived at Maiden Earleigh, county Berks, England. At one time he served as member of Parliament for Reading,
and later he was appointed captain-general and governor of the Leeward
Islands. His daughter Louisa,
married Sir Richard Massey HANSARD of Merkin
( I ) Jonathan BURT, a descendant of William
Matthews BURT, and the founder of the family at present under
consideration, was born in county Berks, England, August 25, 1768 and died in
Brattleboro, Vermont. For the
greater part of his life, he was an English sea captain.
He married Bathsheba ______, who was
born August 10, 1773. Children:
Erastus, born January 7, 1795; Ebenezer,
born August 23, 1796; David W., born July 31,
1800; Susanna, born April 7, 1802; Jonathan,
referred to below; Hollis, born March 24, 1809;
Abigail, born March 14, 1815.
( II ) Jonathan ( 2 ), son of Jonathan
( 1 ) and Bathsheba BURT, was born in Brattleboro, Vermont, October 4,
1804, and died in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, January 14, 1885.
He received his early education in the public schools of Brattleboro,
and then determining to study medicine, he earned the money to pay for his
professional education by teaching school and acting as clerk in the office of
a stage-coach company. He
graduated from the Geneva Medical College and then settled down to the
practice of his profession in Phelps, New York, where he became one of the
representative men of the town, and for over half a century was known as one
of the best medical practitioners of that region of the state.
For many years he was a member of the official board of the Methodist
Episcopal church of Phelps. He
married, February 28, 1832, Mary Ann, daughter
of Ziba and Orinda ( HOWE ) HARRIS, who was
born in Newtown, Connecticut, August 11, 1812.
She was a niece of Colonel Samuel HOWE.
M., born February 22, 1833, died February 4, 1834; Erasmus
D., born February 2, 1835, died January 20, 1908; Sarah
Maria, born June 17, 1843; Charles Harris,
referred to below.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 271
BURTIS, Charles B., Phelps, was born in New York city, February 17, 1825, a son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Palmer) BURTIS. The grandfather was John BURTIS of Long Island. He was for 12 years superintendent at Bellevue Hospital, and drew the plans and superintended the work on the first building on Blackwell's Island. Charles B., married October 6, 1846, Catherine GRANGE, sister of General Gordon GRANGE. They had 4 children, Arthur B., Emma J., Henry B. and Clara T., wife of Rev. C. F. PORTER. Henry B. was born at Oakes Corners, July 29, 1860. He is the managing partner of the A. B. Curtis & Bros. fruit and stock farm at Oaks' Corners. The buildings were erected in 1887, and are a credit to the town as well as to the proprietors. They have about 30 head of horses and colts, and their enterprise is in a flourshing condition.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol. II, pg. 472 - 477
Pietro Caesar Alberto,
pioneer ancestor of Arthur Benjamin BURTIS, of
Oaks Corners, New York, from Venice, Italy, records his arrival in Nieuw
Amsterdam in the Council Minutes of the West India Company, December, 1638, by
entering a complaint against the skipper of the ship "Love."
It is also recorded that in the year 1635 this same skipper (David
Pieterson DE VRIES, of Hoorn) had threatened to leave Pietro
C. ALBERTO at Cayenne and Virginia. The register of the provincial
secretary records a contract between Pietro C. ALBERTO
and Peter MONFOORT to build a house and make a plantation, December 15,
1639. In 1642 he connected
himself with the First Dutch church of Nieuw Amsterdam, and on August 24,
1642, was betrothed to Indith Ians MANJE,
daughter of Van MANJE from New Kirk, Flanders.
Pietro C. ALBERTO lived at this
time on the Heesen Gracht, now Broad street, New York, and owned a tobacco
plantation at the Wallabout for which he received a grant from
Governor KIEFT, June 17, 1643. It comprised the land now lying between
Clermont and Hampdon avenues, the site of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
After his death it was sold to Ian DARMEN,
in 1686. The burial place of Pietro
C. ALBERTO is not known, but was probably in Nieuw Amsterdam, as his
eldest daughter was living on Beaver street, between Broad and William
streets. Children of Pietro C. and Indith (MANJE)
ALBERTO, baptized in Dutch church in New Amsterdam, were:
Ian, August 30, 1643;
Marta, May 7, 1645; Aert (Arthur), April
14, 1647; Marie, June 27, 1649; Francyntie,
April 2, 1651; William, March 31, 1654; Francyn,
May 3, 1656.
( I ) Arthur ALBERTO, from whom the branch
of the family herein recorded descended, built a house in Hempstead, Long
Island, in 1680, which stood until 1892, when it was torn down.
Of the farm of 52 acres, where he lived until 1692, only the
burying ground and a few acres remain. Five
generations of the family are buried there, and living descendants of the name
in the seventh generation are still there.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of James
WAY, an English Quaker originally from Somersetshire.
The WAY family appear upon the records
there in 1400. James
WAY died in 1695, a just man, a loyal Englishman, and an Orthodox
Quaker of great wealth. Of the
seven children mentioned in the will of Arthur ALBERTO,
James, born in 1682-83, seemed to have lived and died in Hempstead,
Long Island, and John, through whom the line
( II ) John Alburtis, son of Arthur
and Elizabeth (WAY) ALBERTO, was born in 1688-89.
He was appointed commissioner of highways in 1701, and in 1719 was
oppressed by the English justices, HUNT and CORNELL
as is proven by the affidavits of his friends and neighbors.
He lived to be a very old man, and because of his great age his family
remained upon Long Island during the occupancy of the British instead of
taking shelter elsewhere. He married Elizabeth, daughter
of Christian SNEDIKER, of Jamaica, Long Island.
The baptisms of their ten children are recorded in the Reformed Dutch
church of Jamaica. The sons were
all remarkable for their size and strength.
( III ) John ( 2 ) ALBURTIS, son of John ( I )
and Elizabeth (SNEDIKER) ALBURTIS, was baptized in Jamaica, June 13,
1713. He was an elder in the
Presbyterian church founded in 1644 in Hempstead, Long Island, called by its
minister, "Christ's First Church in America."
He built a chapel on his farm at Foster's Meadow in 1770 which was
occupied by the British troops during the Revolution, as well as the meeting
house in the village. The chapel
was moved to the village and the timber used to make tents for the British
troops, and the meeting house was used as a stable for horses.
He married the widow of his cousin, Arthur
ALBURTIS, Mary ATER.
Their son John, also served as elder in
this church, and the names of John BURTIS Sr. and John
BURTIS Jr. are on the training list of the district of Cow Neck and
Great Neck. These three Johns,
grandfather, father and son, one aged 88, one 63 and one 27, were rebel patriots.
( IV ) John ( 3 ) BURTIS, son of John
( 2 ) and Mary ( ATER) ALBURTIS or BURTIS, was born in 1749.
He was appointed commissioner of the district of Cow Neck, October 4,
1775. The brief record of his
service in the patriot army was: "He
was stationed part of the time on the shores of Cow and Great Neck and part of
the time at the New York Ferry," his duty being to cover the retreat of
the army that crossed in the merciful fog of the night of August 29, 1776, in
the very face of the enemy. He
married, in 1773, Sarah, daughter of Thomas
FOSTER, of Hempstead, Long Island, a determined Whig.
Thomas FOSTER'S sons, Nathaniel
and Solomon, resisted the attempt of an English officer and his men to
carry off their cousin; a soldier was killed in the melee and the two Fosters
were tried for murder, condemned, but finally ransomed by payment of a large
sum of money. This happened while
the British had possession of Long Island, and while the regiment to which
this officer belonged was quartered at Foster's Meadow on the BURTIS
farm and occupying the old ALBURTIS house.
( V ) Athur BURTIS, born at Foster's
Meadow, Long Island, July 12, 1778, is set down as the eldest son of John
( 3 ) and Sarah (FOSTER) BURTIS. He
came to New York from Hempstead, Long Island, in 1798.
He lived for many years on the corner of Broome street and the Bowery. He was a member of the common council representing the eighth
ward from 1813 to 1816. He
remained in New York until 1831, when his health failing he purchased a farm
near Geneva, New York, to which he removed in 1832, and where he died January
9, 1833. During his residence in
the city of New York, over thirty years, he devoted himself to the poor of the
city. He made a study of
conditions of the insane poor of Europe and America, and corresponded with
eminent philanthropists on method and systems of relief.
Nearest his heart was the education, compulsory if need be, of the
children of the poor and their separation from evil surroundings.
He was one of the founders of the Society for the Reformation of
Juvenile Delinquents and of the House of Refuge, and one of the original
stockholders and board of managers of the New York high school in 1824-25.
He resigned from the board of Commissioners of Public Charities in
March, 1831, having held the office of general superintendent, and having had
charge of all the public charities institutions of New York for many years.
The first suggestion of a house for juvenile delinquents came from him,
and upon his advice, and through his instrumentality, Blackwell's Island was
purchased for the city. He was a
large-hearted and philanthropic man. He
was a charter member of Tammany Hall when it was an Agricultural Society.
He had a large experience of men and affairs, and in his judgment the
men of greatest influence in public life were lawyers, and his great desire
was that his son Arthur should become a power in the world for good.
(first), in 1799, Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac
HENDRICKSON, of Hempstead. She
died in 1802, leaving one son, Thomas, born in
1800, died in 1829, having been twice married, leaving one daughter, who died
in 1850, unmarried. Mr.
BURTIS married (second) in 1804, Elizabeth, daughter
of Drake PALMER, of Mamaronock, Long Island.
This second wife was truly a Daughter of the Revolution, being born in
February, 1782, while her parents were living at Mamaronock, near New
Rochelle, while the English were still in possession of New York.
Drake PALMER was blind and when medicines
or provisions were needed for the family his wife, Abigail
(BROWN) PALMER, was obliged to take a trip to the city, going on
horseback wearing a scarlet cloak with a hood.
It was a ride of twenty miles, and the country swarmed with soldiers.
She brought her family through these perilous days, and lived to the
great age of one hundred and two years. Her
daughter Elizabeth, wife of Arthur
BURTIS, who was no discredit to her parentage.
In 1799, when yellow fever raged in New York, she proved herself a
"St. Elizabeth", brave, loving, faithfully administering to the
wants of the sick and dying. She
lived to be eighty-one years old, was the honored mother of a large family,
and is buried at Phelps, Ontario county, New York.
( VI ) Arthur ( 2 ) BURTIS, eldest son of
Arthur ( I ) and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS, was born in 1807 in his
parents' home on the shore of the East River, which was the home of
Lindley MURRAY at the time of the Revolution.
After two years at Columbia, Arthur BURTIS
completed his college course at Union, now Hobart College, Geneva, New York.
He was organizer of the first secret college fraternity in the United
States, Kappa Alpha. He then
entered the law office of James Otis MORSE, of
Cherry Valley, and afterwards that of Hugh MAXWELL
and later of Kent & Foote, of New York, where he enjoyed the instruction
of Chancellor Kent. He left the
study of law before being admitted to the bar and entered Princeton Seminary.
There and subsequently at Auburn, New York, he qualified for the
ministry. For 30 years he
held pastorates in Buffalo, New York, then accepted the chair of Greek
Literature in Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, but his death occurred six
months later. He married Grace
Ewing PHILLIPS, of Boston, Massachusetts.
of Brooklyn; Arthur, paymaster inspector of
United States Navy; Peter, of Buffalo; Mary Elizabeth,
residing in Buffalo, New York; Grace Phillips; Jeanie,
wife of Rev. E. C. LAWRENCE.
( VI ) Sarah BURTIS, eldest daughter of Arthur
( I ) and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS, married before the family left New
York, Francis WINDSOR, a native of England, and a
member of an honored family. He
was a school teacher. Children:
Lloyd, Mary, Charles Windsor.
The descendants of this branch of the family reside in Hornell, NY.
( VI ) Armenia BURTIS, second daughter of Arthur
( I ) and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS, married Catlin
WEBSTER, and for many years they lived on the third of the farm which
was her portion of her father's estate at Oaks Corners, New York.
( VI ) Sylvanus BURTIS, second son of Arthur
( I ) and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS, was a boy of fourteen when his
father died. He attended school
at Cherry Valley. After his
return home he managed the farm. He was an ideal country gentleman. He married Elizabeth POST, whose
family is well known in Ontario county, living north of Oaks Corners.
They had one son, Sylvanus Jr., with whom
the father lives in California, being 92 years old.
( VI ) Charles BURTIS, youngest child of Arthur
( I ) and Elizabeth (PALMER) BURTIS, was born February 17, 1825.
He resided with his mother in the old homestead.
At the marriage of his brother Sylvanus he
removed to the east third of the farm, where he erected a house for himself
and bride. He married, October 6,
1846, Catherine, daughter of Gaius
GRANGER and sister of General Gordon GRANGER,
who was graduated from West Point in 1845.
He served through the Mexican and the
Civil wars; he was a natural
soldier; he knew not fear; he did not fight for glory or rank but for the pure
love of it, and he left a name and record of which all who bear his name may
be proud. Of the seven children
of Charles and Catherine (GRANGER) BURTIS four
are living, three of whom reside in Ontario county:
Arthur Benjamin, see forward; Emma
J., resides in Phelps, New York; Henry Baldwin,
married Serena NEWTON, daughter of
Scoville and Emma DE ETTE (NEWTON) SHEAR; children: Emma DE
ETTE, Charles Henry, Clara Elema, Catherine Louise; the family reside
at Oaks Corners, Henry B. BURTIS being connected
with DILMAN Brothers; Clara
T., married Rev. Charles F. PORTER, son of
Rev. Jermain PORTER, D. D.; children:
Jermain, Katherine, Arthur Bodine;
they reside in Albany, New York.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 pg 23
BUSH, Peter L., Geneva, was born in Bergen county,
NJ, May 22, 1794, and his wife, Eleanor Visher
DENNISTON, was born on Long
Island, October 29, 1811. Peter
L. BUSH came to Seneca county at an early day, where his first wife died, and
thereafter, March 22, 1838, he married Eleaner V. DENNISTON, as is above
stated. The children of the
second marriage were: Alexander
H., who was a soldier in the 126th NY Vols., and who
was taken prisoner in July, 1862, but after being exchanged he died November
6, 1862, at Camp Douglass, Chicago, IL.; Hannah Louisa, who married first
Andrew ALLEMAN, and second, Martin R. ROMAINE; and
Carrie E., who became the
wife of Ashland C. WHEELER. Peter
L. BUSH was a substantial and successful farmer.
He went to Geneva in the spring of 1863, where he afterward lived a
retired life to the time of his death, June 2, 1878.
His wife died March 7, 1890. Captain
Ashland C. WHEELER enlisted in August, 1861; was sergeant in Company E,
97th Vols., but for meritorious services was appointed second
lieutenant August 20, 1863, and thence to captain of Company B, December 1,
1864. He was discharged July 18,
1865. He was a successful
merchant for nine years. He
married Carrie E. WHEELER April 16, 1873, and died January 24, 1884.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 245
Osband T., Canandaigua, was born in Barrington, Yates county, February
1, 1829. His father, Cornelius
T., was a native of Ulster county, and when subject was but ten years
of age his parents moved into Ontario county, locating in Canadice. He assisted on his father's farm until twenty-one years of
age, when he took his father's farm to work on shares for a number of years.
In 1857 he bought a farm in Canadice, and has since owned different
farms. In 1867 he moved to Grass
Lake, Jackson county, Mich., where he bought a farm of 140 acres, and
conducted it for 13 years. While
there he was a trustee of the Methodist church.
He returned to Ontario county in April, 1879, and bought his present
farm in Canandaigua. He has since sold 30 acres, and the balance has set out to
grapes, peaches and pears. In
1892 he shipped 66 tons of grapes.
The most of Mr. BUSH's immense crop is
shipped to Boston, although a market can be found in almost any city.
He married in 1850 Phoebe Ann JACKMAN, of
Canadice, and they had four children: Luva, wife
of Scott WINFIELD, of Michigan;
Esther, wife of Albert LUCAS, of
Canandaigua; Scott Bush, of Canandaigua; and Carrie,
wife of McClellan TOWNSEND, of Canandaigua.
Mrs. BUSH died in 1872, and he afterwards
married Lucy, daughter of Edward LOW, of Yates
county, and they have had two daughters, Janie E. and
Sarah Addie, students in Lima Seminary.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 271
BUTLER, W. K., Geneva, son of William M., was born in Covert, Seneca county, June 26, 1850. He received a common school education, and when 15 years old went to learn the carpenter's trade. In 1878 he commenced contracting and building, drawing his own plans. He now employs 25 hands and has a sash and blind and planing factory. He built the Western Hose Company's building at Willard Asylum. He has taught 16 terms of school. In 1872 he married Cornelia, daughter of Theodore SWAN, and has 4 children.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy]