Ontario, New York
History and Genealogy

Biographies
E

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy.  This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.

If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.  

Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge

Return to Biography Index                         Return to Home Page

 

EDDY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 63 - 64

 

EDDY, Charles A., Geneva, was born in Smithville, Chenango county, August 26, 1854.  He was educated in the public schools. His early years were spent on a farm until the age of 21, when he learned the carriage trade at McDonough in that county, and worked at it in various places until he came to Waterloo.  There he worked 6 years when the Seneca Falls Company was formed, Mr. EDDY being its superintendent.  In the spring of 1891 the Geneva Carriage Company was incorporated with a capital of $30,000, afterwards increased to $50,000.  Mr. EDDY is superintendent of this company.  Mr. MORRELL is one of its directors.  This company has from its inception been a success.  June 23, 1887, he married Belle M., only daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth IDE, of Waterloo, and they have two children, Francis B., and Blanche L.  The EDDY family is one of the oldest in the county.  Mrs. EDDY's father, Isaac IDE, was born in Geneva, January 15, 1835; he married Elizabeth MENSCH, of Waterloo, and they had two children: Belle M. and Frank P.  Mr. EDDY is a partner with Mr. MORRELL in two valuable inventions in connection with the carriage business.

 

 

EDDY  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 293

EDDY, M. D., Herbert M., Geneva, was born in Seneca county, November 22, 1845, and graduated from Hobart College in 1866.  He graduated from Geneva Medical College and practiced in Seneca Falls eight months.  He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1870, then settled at Geneva.  He is a member of the County Medical Society.  In 1873 he married Hattie H. HIGBIE of Geneva, and has two children: Kathie M. and William H.    Hiram L., father of our subject, was a native of Wayne county.  He graduated from the Pittsfield (Mass.) Medical College and practiced 20 years in Seneca county.  In 1858 he settled in Geneva and practiced until 1876.  He died March 9, 1885.  His wife was Hetty PETERSON, and they had two children, Herbert M. and Lawrence P., the latter a lawyer at Grand Rapids, Mich.

 

 

EDMONSTON 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 254 - 255

EDMONSTON, John A., Farmington, father of Erastus H., was born in Maryland, April 23, 1795, and came with his parents to Manchester when ten years old.  In 1818 he married Rebecca P. BAGGARLY, of that town, by whom he had six children: Erastus H., Hezekiah B., Eliza A., Mary J., Charlotte A. and William H.  Hezekiah B. married Susan A. WARNER, of the town of Orleans, and they had two daughters, Jessie F. and Lillie B.  Eliza A. married Benjamin PARKER, of Manchester, and they have three children: John C., Mary A. and Julia A.  Mary J. married Hiram KNAPP, of Walworth, Wayne county, and they have had two children: William H., and Edmonston H., who died aged 20 years.  Charlotte A. married Alexander SHEKELL, of Washington, DC, and they had 8 children: Eddie, R. P., Harriet A., Lee J., Daisey M., Percy, Clyde and Amy, and one who died in infancy.  William H. married Alice A., only daughter of Aldin and Eliza COLE, of Antwerp, Jefferson county, and they have had three children, two of whom died in infancy, and one, R. Howard, survives.  Erastus H. was born March 7, 1819, in Manchester, and was educated in the public schools, and has always been a farmer.  He met with an accident 51 years ago which has nearly deprived him of the use of one foot.  He is one of Farmington's representative citizens, and has resided here 61 years.  He has never married.

 

EDMONSTON  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 258

EDMONSTON, William C., Phelps, one of four children of Milton and Joanna (KONKLE) EDMONSTON, was born in the town of Phelps, January 15, 1862.  His grandfather, Elijah EDMONSTON, was born in Maryland and came here and settled about the year of 1796 where he lived and died.  He was a soldier of the War of 1812.  William C. married, September 19, 1883, Flora M(ay), daughter of Joseph and Mary J. (CURTIS) SPIER, of Phelps.  Mr. EDMONSTON was clerk in a grocery store for 11 years, when in 1890 he bought out the business and has since been engaged in the grocery and general merchandise business.  He has served as foreman of the Redfield Hook and Ladder Company, has served as member of the Board of Education, and in March, 1892, was elected supervisor of the town, and was re-elected in March, 1893.

 

 

 EISELINE

History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 90-91 

Dr. Daniel A. EISLINE, who has filled a number of public offices in connection with his professional career, is of the first generation of his family to have been born in this country, his ancestors having lived in Germany.   John EISLINE, father of Dr. EISELINE, was born in Bavaria, Germany, from which country he came to America in 1867, bringing his wife with him, and located at Canandaigua.  He was a shoemaker by trade and followed that occupation until his death, in 1897.  He married Elizabeth S. LINDNER, and had 6 children, of whom three died in infancy.  Those living at present are: Daniel A., see forward; Elizabeth and Harold D., the two last named living with their mother in Canandaigua. 

Dr. Daniel A. EISLINE son of John and Elizabeth S.. (LINDNER) EISLEINE, was born in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, June 10, 1868, and was named in honor of Daniel F. ALVERSON, a prominent citizen of that town.  His preparatory education was acquired in the public schools of Canandaigua and Canandaigua Academy, and he then matriculated at the University of Buffalo, form the medical department of which he was graduated in 1896.  For four years prior to becoming a student at the Buffalo University, he was employed as a clerk in various drug stores in Canandaigua, and immediately after his graduation he removed to Shortsville and established himself in the practice of his profession.  In this he has been eminently successful and now has a large and lucrative practice.  His political views were those of the republican party and he has been chosen to hold various public offices.  He was appointed coroner to fill the unexpired term of the late Dr. W. W. ARCHER, and was subsequently twice elected to the office, his present term expiring in 1911.  He is a member of the committee form the fourth district of the town of Manchester, is health officer for the village of Shortsville and surgeon to the Shortsville Wheel Company.  He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church.  He is connected in various capacities with the following organizations:  Alpha Omega Delta Fraternity; Canandaigua Lodge, No. 294, Free and Accepted Masons; Excelsior Chapter, No. 64; Royal Arch Masons, Canandaigua; Zenobia Commandery, No. 41, Knights Templar, of Palmyra, New York; Damascus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; parlor Village Lodge, No. 88; Independent Order of Odd Fellows; has been secretary and treasurer of Ontario County Medical Society since 1897; secretary and treasurer of Ontario County Sanitary Officer's association; secretary of the Training School for Nurses of Canandaigua Hospital of Physicians and Surgeons; member of the Society of Physicians of the Village of Canandaigua; Medical Association of Central New York; Medical Society of the State of New York; American Medical Association. 

Dr. EISELINE, married at Shortsville, New York, July 18, 1901, Mabel E., born in Shortsville, daughter of Charles W., and Mary ( STAFFORD) BROWN, and granddaughter of Hiram L., and Hester BROWN, the former one of the founders and original proprietors of the Empire Drill Company.

 

ELDRIDGE

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 65

 

ELDRIDGE, Thomas, Canadice, was born December 20, 1836, in Naples.  His father, Barber ELDRIDGE, of French descent, came from Connecticut about 1813, and married Lucy Ann KOON of Springwater, where they lived most of the time, and where he died in 1863, aged 53 years.  His widow survives him, aged 78 years.  Of their 8 children, 6 are now living: John M., now of Yates county; Charles, of Springwater; Lucy Ann, who married and died in Branch county, Mich.; Thomas, of this town; Harriett, married and lives in Michigan; Barber, died in Springwater; Sarah Jane, now living in Livonia; and Harrison, who resides in Springwater.  Thomas was educated in the common schools, and worked at farming.  In 1860 he married Ellen D. PURCELL, who was born February 11, 1837, a daughter of William and Jane PURCELL, of Springwater.  The same year they settled on the farm they now occupy, which he, ELDRIDGE purchased of the heirs of Homer BLAKE.  He built his residence in 1870.  They have two children: William B., born June 29, 1865, who married Minnie HENRY, and is a farmer of this town, and Emma E., born November 13, 1869, wife of Edmund DOOLITTLE, of Springwater.  Mr. ELDRIDGE has 100 acres in his home farm, and 51 acres in Springwater.  He is engaged in the raising of thoroughbred Oxforddown sheep, and also horses.  He has been highway commissioner two years and assessor three years.  He was supervisor in 1888-89.

 

ELLIS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 63

ELLIS, Bolivar, Victor, was born in Victor, February 25, 1833.  He was educated in the public schools, and in early life was a farmer, surveyor, and conveyancer many years.  Has been supervisor of his town three years, and justice of the peace 24 years.  In the fall of 1882 he was elected county clerk and served three years.  Was also loan commissioner three years.  Mr. ELLIS is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139 F. & A. M., and has been its master for some years.  He is a member of the Exselsior Chapter No. 164 R. A. M. of Canandaigua, and of Munroe Commandery K. T. No. 12 of Rochester.  June 30, 1874, he married Frances M., daughter of Jacob L. and Joannah (FARR) LOBDELL, of Victor, and they have one daughter, Isabel.  Mr. ELLIS's father, Henry, was born in the town of Florida, Montgomery county, December 10, 1798, and was a farmer.  December 29, 1823, he married Isabel BENNETT, of Duanesburg, Schenectady county, and came to Victor April 5, 1824.  They had six children: four survive: Nancy M., who married Thomas C. TURNER (now deceased); Jane E., who married James B. NORTH (deceased); Bolivar, and Daniel.  Mr. ELLIS's father, Samuel, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.  The ancestry is Welsh and Scotch.  Mr. ELLIS is one of the deacons in the Universalist Church. 

ELLIS, James A., Canandaigua, was born in Fleming, June 3, 1839, a son of Arthur, a farmer of that town.  When 14 years of age he went to Honeoye, where he served his apprenticeship of four years as a gunmaker.  In the spring of 1862 he came to Canandaigua, where he joined in partnership with Lefevre in manufacturing guns, and was with him five years.  In 1867 Mr. ELLIS bought out the interest of his partner and has ever since conducted the business alone at 157 Main street, where he handles hardware, sporting goods, cutlery, etc.  He is a Mason, a member of Canandaigua Lodge No. 294.  He married in February, 1869, Martha S. ROBERTSON, of Canandaigua, and they have 5 children: Arthur C., a clerk in the New York Central freight office; Ada E., Ina M., Herbert J., and George ROBERTSON.  Mr. and Mrs. ELLIS are members of the Congregational Church of Canandaigua.

 

ELLIS 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 294

ELLIS, Daniel, Victor, was born on the ELLIS homestead, September 30, 1837.  He was educated in the public schools and East Bloomfield Academy, and is a farmer.  The house on the home farm was built in the year of 1826, fifty acres of land has been owned by the family since the same date.  Mr. ELLIS is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139, F. & A. M. of Canandaigua.  February 8, 1856, he married Alice TURNER, who was born in Salem, Wis.  She died March 8, 1892.  Mr. ELLIS's grandfather's brother, Dr. Eleazer ELLIS, was born June 20, 1760, was the first physician in West Bloomfield, and his grandfather, Samuel ELLIS, was born May 28, 1762.  Mr. ELLIS has in his possession a paper recommending his grandfather, Samuel, to any Masonic Lodge in the United States.

 

 

ELLIS, WILLIS

History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 286

Willis C. ELLIS, who has been prominently identified wit the legal interests of the state of New York in various capacities, for a number of years, is descended from a family which, for generations, has been conspicuous in their defence (sic) of the country in which they lived.

(I)              Smith ELLIS, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in the Mohawk Valley, New York, and removed to the town of Gainsville, Wyoming County, New York, early in the nineteenth century.  He was one of the early settlers in that town, and some years later, removed to Pike in the same county.  He was an active participant in the War of 1812 and saw service at Sacketts Harbor.  He married Christine HELMER, who was also a native of Mohawk Valley.

(II)         Abram W., Son of Smith and Christine (HELMER) ELLIS, was born in Wyoming County, New York and died in Pike, September 7, 1907.  His live occupation was that of farming.  In 1863 he enlisted in the 18th New York Light Artillery, was transferred to the 25th Regiment Light Artillery, and served in the Department of the Gulf until the close of the Civil war.  He married January 1, 1866, Marion A. PHELPS, and had one child, Willis C., mentioned below.

(III)      Willis C., only child of Abram W. and Marion A. (PHELPS) ELLIS, was born in Pike, Wyoming County, New York, January 12, 1868.  His preparatory education was acquired in the Pike Seminary, from which he was graduated in June 1888.  He then became a student at Cornell University, from which he was graduated June 16, 1892, with the degree of Bachelor of Letters.  He continued the study of law in the offices of Day & Romer, Buffalo, New York, and was admitted to the bar, June 12, 1893.  In June of the following year he came to Shortsville, New York, where he opened his present offices, and where he has acquired a large and lucrative practice.  His political affiliations have been with the republican party, and he has filled a number of public offices.  He has served as village attorney for Shortsville for the past ten years, and for the same period of time in a similar capacity for the town of Manchester.  In 1909 he was designated by the attorney general as prosecutor of violators of the agricultural laws for the county of Ontario.  He is also engaged as attorney for the Mutual Bank and the E. D. Mather & Company Banks of Shortsville.  His fraternal and club associations are as follows: Delta Chi and Kappa Sigma fraternities, of Cornell University; Triluminar Lodge, No. 543, Free and Accepted Masons of Pike; Excelsior Chapter, No. 164, Royal Arch Masons of Canandaigua; Zenobia Commandery, No. 41, Knights Templar, of Palmyra, New York; he is past grand of Parlor Village Lodge, No. 88, Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Shortsville; member of Red Jacket Club of Canandaigua; Western New York Cornell Alumni Association of Rochester, New York; New York State Bar Association; New York State Historical Association. 

Mr. ELLIS married in Canandaigua, New York, July 5, 1900, Martha C., born in Canandaigua, June 18, 1874, daughter of George D., and Maria (CRAWFORD) HART, the former a retired farmer.  Children: Ruth, born May 15, 1901; Helen, July 18, 1903; Gordon A., November 23, 1906; Christine, December 18, 1908.

 

 

ELLIS

History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 363-365

Samuel ELLIS, the Revolutionary ancestor, born May 27, 1762, settled in Victor about 1827.  His brothers Eleazer and Stephen were among the early settlers in Ontario County.  Dr. Eleazer ELLIS was the first physician in West Bloomfield.  Stephen ELLIS was a surveyor and conveyancer (sic) in Victor.  Samuel ELLIS was a Free Mason and his membership certificate is in the possession of his grandson, Bolivar ELLIS, of Victor.  Samuel came to Victor from Florida, Montgomery County, his former residence, and where he had served as deputy sheriff and tax collector for sixteen years in succession.  Stephen was a surveyor in Victor. 

Henry, son of Samuel ELLIS, was born in Florida, Montgomery County, New York, December 10, 1798.  He was a farmer in Florida and afterward at Victor in Ontario County.  He married December 29, 1823, Isabel, daughter of Amos BENNETT, of Duanesburg, Schenectady County.  They came to Victor, April 5, 1824, and in 1831 he succeeded to the homestead, which his father bought in 1816 of Roswell MURRAY.  He was interested in public affairs.  He died September 1, 1884.  His wife, Isabel died January 24, 1875.  Children: 1. Nancy M., born November 14, 1824, married Thomas C. TURNER;  2. Eliza J., born June 29, 1826, died October 2, 1827; 3. Sally Antoinett, born November 23, 1827, died October 1, 1829; 4. Jane Eliza, born January 4, 1831, married James B. NORTH, died September 14, 1909; 5.  Bolivar, mentioned below; 6. Daniel, born September 30, 1837, farmer at Victor, member of Milnor Lodge No. 139, Free and Accepted Masons of Victor; married (in Victor) February 10, 1886, Alice TURNER, born in Salem Wisconsin, died March 8, 1892.  He died July 5, 1889. 

Bolivar, son of Henry ELLIS, was born at Victor, New York in his native town, and in early life was a farmer, surveyor and conveyancer.  Much of his education he obtained through reading and private study.  He retired from active farming in 1883.  Much of his time has been given to public service and he has held many offices of trust and responsibility and he has continued in business as a conveyancer to the present time.  In 1882 he was elected county clerk of Ontario county and served three years, he being a Democrat in politics and the county is republican.  The office came to him unsolicited and his majority was two hundred and ninety.  He was urged to accept a re-nomination for another term, but declined.  He was local surveyor for a period of thirty years, and has been a conveyancer for fifty years.  He has been justice of the peace and member of the town board twenty-four years.  He was justice of sessions two years and loan commissioner three years.  He served his town as supervisor for three years.  In the course of business Mr. ELLIS has settled and assisted in settling nearly forty estates.  He was made a Mason in 1860 and for 15 years acted as master of Milnor Lodge, No. 139.  He was made a Royal Arch Mason in Excelsior Chapter, No. 164,  Canandaigua, in 1863, and is a member of Monroe Commandery, No. 12, Knights Templar, Rochester, since 1867, and has kept unbroken his membership in each of those bodies.  He was district deputy grand master two years.  He married June 30, 1874, Frances M. LOBDELL, born in Victor, June 25, 1844, died March 27, 1897, daughter of Jacob L. LOBDELL.  Her grandfather, Jacob LOBDELL, was the first white man who wintered at Victor, New York, coming thither from Stockbridge, Berkshire county, Massachusetts to spend the winter.  He was first supervisor of Victor. 

Mr. and Mrs. ELLIS have one daughter, Isabel, born June 16, 1875, married July 15, 1902, George F. WILDER, and resides in Queens county, New York.  They had Ellis WILDER, born December 10, 1904, died in infancy, and Ellis Wareham WILDER, born May 19, 1906.

 

ELTON

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 64 - 65

 

ELTON, Jabez, West Bloomfield, came from Bristol, Conn., to Canandaigua about 1816.  He was a farmer and married in Connecticut Olive HOLCOMB.  Their children were: Sarah, James, Noah, Eliza, Luther, Lovina, Nathaniel, Hiram, Nancy and John.  Nathaniel moved to Richmond about 1833.  He married in 1841 Mary J. PAUL.  They subsequently lived in Farmington and Perrington, and came to this town in 1854.  Nathaniel was a farmer and produce dealer.  Their children were: John P., James, and Mary E., wife of John M. BAKER, of Bristol.  Nathaniel died April 1, 1883.  John was born September 4, 1843.  He was a farmer and hay dealer, and was supervisor of the town in 1886.  He married Jennie C. LEACH.  They had born to them four children: L. May, O. Louise, Alice P., and Richard.  John died November 19, 1890.  James was born October 27, 1845.  He is a farmer and hay dealer.  His fine farm is on the State road, midway between the village and East Bloomfield line.  He married in 1877 Alida E. SHEPARD, and they have three children: Raymond J., Carlotta A., and Leila J.  Mr. ELTON was formerly a Democrat, but some years ago he was a member of the grand jury when 77 were indicted, over 70 of which were liquor cases.  He and some others of the jury have since this been Prohibitionists.  Mrs. Nathaniel ELTON now makes her home with her son.  Her father and grandfather were both named William Paul and came from Massachusetts at an early day to this town.  Her father returned to Massachusetts in 1811 and married Prudance CASE.  They lived in the south part of the town on the line of Richmond and had seven children.

 

 

ELTON   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 291 - 292

ELTON, Jabez, West Bloomfield, came from Bristol, Conn., to Canandaigua about 1816.  He was a farmer, and married in Connecticut Olive HOLCOMB.  Their children were: Sarah, James, Norah, Eliza, Luther, Lovina, Nathaniel, Hiram, Nancy and John.  Nathaniel moved to Richmond about 1833.  He married in 1871, Mary J. PAUL.  They subsequently lived in Farmington and Perrington, and came to this town in 1854.  Nathaniel was a farmer and produce dealer.  Their children were: John P., who married Jennie C. LEACH and died in 1890; James, and Mary E., wife of John M. BAKER, of Bristol.  Nathaniel died April 1, 1883.  James was born October 27, 1845.  He is a farmer and hay dealer and was supervisor of the town in 1886.  His fine farm is on the State road midway between the village and East Bloomfield line, and his residence is among the best in town.  He married in 1877, Alida E. SHEPARD, and they have three children: Raymond J., Carlotta A., and Leila J.  Mr. ELTON was formerly a Democrat, but some years ago he was a member of the grand jury when 77  were found indicted, over 70 of which were liquor cases. He and some others of the jury have since this been Prohibitionists.  Mrs. Nathaniel ELTON now makes her home with her son.  Her father and grandfather were both named William PAUL and came from Massachusetts at an early day to this town.  Her father returned to Massachusetts and married in 1811, Prudence CASE.  They lived in the south part of the town on the line of Richmond, and had seven children.

 

ELWELL   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 292

ELWELL, Gilbert W., Gorham, was born in Middlesex, November 28, 1852.  His father, Stewart, was a son of Luther, a son of Jabe, who was a native of Massachusetts, and in an early day went to Vermont, where he died.  He was a Revolutionary soldier and was at the battle of Bennington, Vt.  His wife was Rosanna MOSS, a native of Hoosick, NY, and they had nine children.  The family came to Middlesex, and there he and his wife died.  He was a farmer by occupation.  Stewart was born in Bennington, Vt., and at aged 21 years, came to Yates county.  He married Hannah WOOD of Gorham, born June 25, 1818, a daughter of Gilbert WOOD, son of James, who was born in Massachusetts, and came to Gorham in 1789.  Gilbert WOOD was born in Massachusetts in 1788, and came with his parents to Gorham and settled at Reed's Corners.  The wife of Gilbert WOOD was Peggie COLF, by whom he had one son and nine daughters.  He died January 4, 1841, and his wife July 31, 1848.  Mr. ELWELL and wife have three children: Gilbert W.; Helen, wife of Thomas CONKLIN of Gorham; and Mary, wife of Adelbert POWELL.  In 1866 Mr. ELWELL came to Gorham.  He is a Democrat in politics.  Gilbert W. was educated in the common schools and Canandaigua Academy.  November 26, 1878, he married Mary HUMPHREY, and they have one child, Marion.  November 25, 1883, Mrs. ELWELL died, and in 1886 he married Mary J. MATHORT of Berrytown.  He is a Democrat and at present is Justice of the Peace.  Mrs. ELWELL is an Episcopalian. (see Overacker Cemetery in Yates Co. & Reeds Corners Cemetery in Gorham, Ontario Co.)

 

ELWELL  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 292

ELWELL, Irving D., Canandaigua, was born on his present farm in Canandaigua, February 10, 1863, a son of Dyre and Harriet (JOHNSON) ELWELL.  Dyre ELWELL was born near Bennington, Vt., September 16, 1822, was educated in the common schools, and when 22 years of age settled in Middlesex, Yates county, where he followed farming about ten years.  In 1856 he moved to Phelps, where he spent two years, and then came to Canandaigua, buying a farm of 98 acres near Cheshire.  He was a man of more than usual ability, and was a leader in all good works.  He married in 1846 Elinor REYNOLDS of Middlesex, by whom he had one child, who died February 14, 1878, 31 years of age.  Mr. ELWELL married again February 19, 1857, Harriet, daughter of Buskirk JOHNSON of Rockland county, and they had three children, but one of whom is living, Irving D.  Dyre ELWELL died January 16, 1890.  Mrs. ELWELL still lives on the old homestead.  Irving D. was educated in the common schools, and is following farming on a scientific plan.  His principal crops are hops and fruit, having now six acres of the former.  He married in 1883 Iva, daughter of Oscar and Paulina (MITCHELL) PHILLIPS.  They have one daughter, Ina Elizabeth, now in her ninth year.

 

EMBRY

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 64

 

EMBRY, Frank W., Victor, was born in Victor, April 16, 1845.  He was educated in the public schools and Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, from which institution he was graduated in May, 1864.  May 7, 1878, he married Florence L. ELLIS, of Weedsport.  Mr. EMBRY's father, Thomas, was born at Arlington, Vt., November 28, 1804, and came to this state when 15 years old, locating in Avon and afterward in Victor, where he became a prominent merchant.  In the year 1835 he built the stone store recently destroyed by fire.  February 12, 1828, he married Sarah WILCOX of that village, who was one of the teachers in the public schools.  Later on he became a farmer, and followed that vocation for 28 years.  In the year 1885 he returned to the village and lived a retired life.  He died November 5, 1890, and his wife February 22, 1886.  December 14, 1864, Mr. EMBRY entered the employ of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company at Syracuse, as a clerk in the freight house.  He came to Rochester August 25, 1867, and was employed at the Rochester station in the same capacity until December 31, 1873.  He then resigned to accept the management of the Merchants' Despatch Transportation Company, which position he held until June 13, 1877, when he was made freight agent of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. Co., succeeding the late W. H. CUMINGS, which position he holds at the present time, 1893.  At the time the New York Central leased the West Shore and Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg railroads, Mr. EMBRY was made agent of those roads also, and still holds that position.  Mr. EMBRY is a member of the Athletic Club, Point Look Out CLub, Rochester Whist Club, Frank R. Lawrence Lodge, F. & A. M., Monroe Commandery K. T. No. 12, Rochester Consistory of Scottish Rite, and is also a member of the Reform Club of New York city, of which Hon. Chas. S. FAIRCHILD is president.  He is a member of Christ Church parish; and in politics he is a Democrat.

 

 

EMERSON   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893. pg 292-293

EMERSON, Benjamin K., Canandaigua, was born in Chester, Rockingham county, NH, August 26, 1826.  His father was born in New Hampshire in 1786, and resided there until 1852, when he moved into this State and settled in Tyrone, Schuyler county, dying there in February, 1862.  He married Mary PORTER, widow of David EMORY, and they had six children, two of whom survive: William P. of New Hampshire, and Benjamin K.  The early boyhood of our subject was spent in the town of his birth.

He came to Steuben county when 13 years of age, and working on a farm, studied medicine and became a practicing veterinary surgeon.  He moved from Schuyler county to Yates, where he spent three years, and in 1870 moved to Ontario county, settled in Canandaigua, and bought the Harris ANDREWS farm of 102 acres, where he lived but three years, then bought the David GARDNER farm of 100 acres, which now belongs to his son.  He bought 100 acres on lot 61, and 108 acres on lot 84.  He made his home on the GARDNER farm until 1892, when he bought the farm of 90 acres, where he now makes his home.  He also owns the PARMELE farm of 78 acres, making the total amount 476 acres.  Besides attending to his farms Mr. EMERSON continued his practice as veterinary surgeon, in which he has been very successful, losing but few patients.  He also conducts a milk route in Canandaigua, and for 7 years was the milkman of Shortsville.  While in Yates county Mr. EMERSON was justice of the peace.  In 1850 he married Adelia C. PRESCOTT of Orange county, by whom he had five children, four now living: George M., who lives on the GARDNER farm; Arnold J., who lives on the COUCH farm; Mary, wife of John CROOK, who lives on the PARMELE farm; and Hattie L., who married Frank STEIMBAUGH and lives in Nebraska.  Mrs. EMERSON died in November, 1872, and he married second in 1873, Mary F. SUTTON, widow of Thomas SPROUL, and they have one child, Carrie H., now in her 13th year.

 

ESTY 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 293

ESTY, John B., Seneca, was born in Seneca, December 15, 1827.  He was educated in the public schools and has always followed farming.  December 25, 1849, he married Rachael C. BRIZZEE of the town of Hopewell, and they have seven children: Charles, who died at the age of 39; Ida A., Frederick D., Ada, who died at the age of 8 years; Frank J., Alexander and Elizabeth.  Mr. ESTY's father, Aaron B., was born in Seneca in 1802.  He, too, was a farmer and married Mary GILBERT, formerly of the town of Benton, Yates county.  They had eight children: John B., William P., Cynthia A., Norton, who died at the age of two years, Joseph, Sibley, Elizabeth and Edmund.  His father died in September, 1882, and his mother February 12, 1892.  His grandfather, William ESTY, came to Seneca about 1795 from New England.  Mrs. ESTY's father, Cornelius BRIZZEE, was born in Columbia county, NY, in 1793, and married Sarah VAN BENSCOTEN of Ulster county.  They had seven children: Peter S., Maria, Sarah A., Cornelius C., Rachel C., John and Andrew.  Her father died in 1879 at the age of 86 years, and her mother died in 1879 at the age of 83 years.

 

 

ESTY 

History of Ontario County, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 203-206

The name of the ESTY family has been variously spelled - ESTEY, ESTE EASTE, EASTEY and EASTY.

(1)   Jeffrey ESTY, the immigrant ancestor, lived in Salem, Massachusetts, as early as 1636, when he was granted twenty acres of land.  August 23, 1651, he sold land in Salem to Henry BULLOCK.  That same year he removed to Southhold, Long Island, afterwards to Huntington and later to Little Neck, where he died, January 4, 1657.  He left a will without date, probated January 23, following, in which he mentioned a daughter Catherine and son Isaac. 

(2) Isaac, son of Jeffrey ESTY, was born probably in England before 1630, and came to Salem with his father when very young.  He was a cooper by trade, and is designated as such in the first record of him, dated April 5, 1653.  At that time, he bought a house and land in Salem.  Before 1660, he settled in Topsfield, Massachusetts. In 1661, he was one of the commoners appointed to share in the common land on the south side of Ipswich river.  In 1664, he was rated at nineteen shillings, six pence, which was the minister's rate for that year and entitled him to a proportionate share in the division of the common land.  In 1669, he was given the fifteenth share.  In 1672, with five others, he was granted all the swamp meadow lying upon Ipswich river, within certain bounds, for a consideration of fifty pounds.  He was prominent in the political affairs of the town; in 1680-82-86-88, he was selectman; in 1681-84-85, juryman at Ipswich, in 1691-96, grand juryman; he also served as tything  (sic) man, surveyor of fences and highways, and was a member of different committees of the town.  In 1689, he was called "Sargent" ESTY.  He was a member of the church, and was twice a member of the committee chosen to secure a minister.  In 1684, he with his wife and family were members in full communion.  He died at Topsfield, in 1712 and his will was probated June 11, 1712.  Her married Mary, daughter of William and Joannah (BLESSING) TOWNE, of Topsfield, born at Yarmouth, Norfolk County, England, and baptized at St. Nicholas church, August 24, 1634.  She was a victim of the witchcraft delusion, which spread over Salem and vicinity in 1692.  April 21, 1692, she was arrested, and kept in jail until May 18, then released.  On May 21, she was again arrested, taken to jail and placed in chains.  She was tried, found guilty and condemned to death, and September 1692, with seven others, she was executed.  She was a woman of sound judgment and exalted character, and far in advance of her age in intelligence.  While in prison she sent a petition to Sir William PHIPPS, in which she begged not for her own life, but for others.  For this unselfishness, she was called "the self-forgetful."  After her execution, her husband did everything in his power to rescue her name from reproach and his children from disgrace, and after 20 years, he was in a measure successful.  His petitions were recognized, the verdict annulled, and he was given twenty pounds, in acknowledgement of the injustice of the original decision.  Children: Isaac, born about 1656, mentioned below; Joseph, February 5, 1657-58; Sarah, June 30, 1660; John, January 2, 1662-63; Hannah, 1667; Benjamin, April 29, 1669; Samuel, March 25, 1672; Jacob, January 24, 1674-75; Joshua, July 2,1678.

(3) Isaac, son of Isaac ESTY, was born in Topsfield about 1656.  January 1677, his name appears with others, who took the oath of allegiance and fidelity to Charles II.  In 1689 and 1691, he was chosen one of the surveyors of highways, and 1694, was chosen constable.  In 1696, he was one of the selectmen of the town.  He married, October 14, 1689, Abigial, daughter of John and Mary (BRADSTREET) KIMBALL, born March 22, 1667.  She married (second), April 25, 1718, William POOLE, of Reading.  His will was dated March 16, 1713-14, and probated May 3, 1714.  Children: Mary, baptized February 15, 1691-92; Abigail, baptized January 8, 1692-93; Sarah, born October 4, 1694; Isaac, November 20, 1696; Aaron, February 16, 1698-99, mentioned below; Jacob, June 28, 1700; Hannah, May 18, 1708; Richard, baptized April 7, 1706; Rebecca, baptized August 8, 1708; Moses, baptized September 6, 1712.

(4) Aaron, son of Isaac ESTY (2nd) was born in Topsfield, February 16, 1698-99, and died there, April 21, 1783.  He married, June 7, 1723, at Lynn, Esther RICHARDS, born in Southboro; died in Topsfield, July 23, 1805, aged 100 years  and 16 days. Children: Isaac, born January 23, 1724, died young; Aaron, January 18, 1724, died in the French War, 21745; Hannah, April 14, 1726; Mary, June 1, 1730; Isaac, September 30, 1731; Abigail, baptized May 5, 1734, died February 24, 1737; Esther, baptized July 4, 1736, died February 28, 1737; William, baptized December 11, 1737, died March 13, 1745; Daniel, May 4, 1739; Esther, June 29, 1741; Aaron, January 18, 1745-46, mentioned below; William, August 2, 1748.

(5)  Aaron Jr., son of Aaron ESTY, was born in Topsfield, January 18, 1745-46, and married October 23, 1765, Molly HOOPER of Lynn.  About 1770 he removed to Rindge, New Hampshire, after a few years to Shrewsbury, Vermont, thence to Leicester, Vermont, where he died, August, 1844.  In 1790 he was living at Whiting Town, Vermont, according to the first federal census and hand four in his family.  He was a soldier in the Revolution in Lieutenant Lemuel WHITE'S company, June 20, 1781 (p. 383 Vermont Revolutionary rolls).  Children: Joseph born August 5, 1767; Hannah, baptized August 6, 1769; William, mentioned below; John born June, 1773, Rindge.

(6)  William, son of Aaron ESTY, was born May 26, 1771, at Rindge, New Hampshire.  In 1795, he settled at Seneca, Ontario County, New York.  He was one of the pioneers and followed farming there.

(7)  Aaron B., son of William ESTY, was born in a log house on the homestead in Seneca, in 1802, and followed farming all his active life.  He died in September 1882.  He was a member of the Seneca church at Seneca Castle.  He married Mary GILBERT, formerly of Benton, Yates County, New York.  She died February 12, 1892.  Children: John B., mentioned below, William P., Cynthia A., Norton, who died aged two years; Joseph, Sibley, Elizabeth and Edmund.

(8)    John B., son of Aaron B. ESTY, was born in Seneca, December 15, 1827.  He was educated in the public schools and always followed farming.  He was an earnest and faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, a trustee and steward for many years.  He married Rachel C. BRIZZEE, of Hopewell.  Children: Fred D., Charles B., who died at the age of 39 years, Ida A., Frederick D., Ada, who died aged eight years, Frank J., mentioned below, Alexander F. and Elizabeth.

(9)    Frank J., son of John B. ESTY, was born in Seneca, October 6, 1858.  He was educated in the public schools of Geneva, and at Lima Academy, New York.  He worked with his father on the farm during his boyhood and youth.  Afterwards he was clerk in a general store at Orleans, New York for two years.  He has resided in the township of Phelps since 1891, and is engaged in general farming and horse breeding.  He has been active in public affairs and since 1905 has been justice of the peace and member of the town board by virtue of that office.  For two years he has been president of the Esty Family Association, which has held reunions in this section.  He is trustee and treasure of the board of education.  In politics he is a republican; and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Seneca Castle and one of the board of trustees.  He is treasurer of Castle Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and has been master. 

He married, December 25, 1883, Ella A. WARNER, of Hopewell, New York, daughter of Daniel T., and Rebecca (WITTER) WARNER.  Children: Frank Murray, born in Seneca, November 27, 1884; Clara Belle, July 9, 1888, married J. E. KING of Hopewell; Carl W., October 3, 1891; Ruth E., June 28, 1897; Nellie M., July 7, 1899.

 

 

EVERETT

History of Ontario County, NY published 1893,  pg 343

 

John EVERETT, was born in Suffolk county, England in 1806.  He married Sarah HAKE, and in 1850 they came to America and settled in Geneva.  He was a machinist and they had eight children.  Mr. EVERETT died July 1, 1872 and his wife, on September 11, 1873.  Of their children, five are now living: May, wife of George TAYLOR; Rachel, wife of John KENFIELD; Alice, wife of Nicholas B. SMITH, Eleanor, widow of A. WENTZER and all reside in Geneva.  Charles lives in Montgomery City, MD. 

 

 

Html by Dianne Thomas  

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced

 in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2002 - 2014

 [NY History and Genealogy]