Ontario, New York
History and Genealogy

Biographies
N - O

Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy.  This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.

If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.  

Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge

Return to Biography Index                         Return to Home Page

 

NAGEL

History of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 72-74 

Many historiographers of the present day have acquired the habit of giving prominence to layers, doctors and others whose paths in life lie in the learned professions to the exclusion of those who are really the bone and sinew of the country in which they live, namely those who give employment to, and consequently feed the masses and whose efforts in life have tended to build up the towns in which they live and give the proper tone to the community.  Of this most worthy and honorable class, Samuel NAGEL, of Geneva, Ontario county, New York is an exceptionally fine example, having worked his way to his present eminent position in his town by his own unaided efforts.   

Samuel NAGEL, born in Germany, September 15, 1855, was the son of George NAGEL who was also a native of Germany, followed farming all his life and died at the age of 84 years, was the possessor of a comfortable fortune, and held in high esteem in the town in which he lived.  Samuel NAGEL was educated in his native town and at the age of twenty-one years came to this country, thinking it offered better changes for advancement for a young man of energy and ability. Upon his arrival here he located at Seneca Falls, New York, and worked for a time for John BAUER, a mason, having learned the trade before leaving Germany.  At the end of a year there was a great falling off in the building industry in this country, and Mr. NAGEL accepted a position on a farm, making the engagement from month to month, and remaining for two years.  He then rented this farm for a period of five years and was reasonably successful in its cultivation.  He next moved to Seneca Falls, where he was employed to run the elevator in the Gleason Knitting Mills and at the expiration of 14 months, abandoned this work, removed to Geneva and returned to his calling as a mason.  He worked for one year steadily without the loss of a single day, and then established himself in business as a contractor, with which line he has since been closely and prosperously identified. 

The most important buildings which have been erected in Geneva and the vicinity during the past twenty-four years have been erected under Mr. NAGEL�s direction and supervision, and have given eminent satisfaction, not alone by the beauty of their appearance, but by their artistic and excellent workmanship.  He has obtained a reputation for doing work of the finest character and work that will bear the closest investigation, every detail having received its proper share of attention.  Among the structures he has erected may be mentioned: The Masonic Temple in Geneva; Schneirel building, which is the highest building in Geneva; Dwyer, Hill and Prospect Avenue School buildings, the latter the largest high school building in Geneva; the electric light plant building; a fine block on Main street for himself; and about two hundred other buildings in the town of Geneva.  At present he is engaged in erecting the new Tuberculosis Hospital, at Holcomb, Ontario county.  In 1904, Mr. NAGEL bought a tract of land in Geneva and he is now having it laid out in streets, is improving the property in various ways, and is erecting a number of fine residences, making this an exclusive and desirable residential section of the town.  His own home, which was erected under his personal supervision, is a model of its kind, containing as it does, every conceivable improvement of the present day, and it is beautifully and artistically furnished throughout.  Politically, Mr. NAGEL is a republican, and he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. 

While Mr. NAGEL owes his remarkable success in a great measure to his natural ability and to the methods he has acquired by earnest endeavor, he never fails to ascribe a due share of his success in life to the influence and good advice of his wife, who has entered into all his plans wither her whole heart and soul. 

Mr. NAGEL married in America, December 1879, Anna Katie LOUDENSLACKER, born in Germany in 1859.  Children: 1. Minnie, married Rev. Henry C. HAAG, resides in North Dakota.  2. Katherine, married Dr. C.W. GROVE of Geneva.  3.  George J., resides in Elmira, New York and is a bookkeeper for the La France American Fire Engine Company.   4.  Louise, lives at home.  5. Edward, seventeen years of age, a student in the high school.   

 NEEDHAM,  

History of Ontario Co.,NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 71-72

Michael NEEDHAM, founder of this family, was born in Burr, county Tipperary, Ireland in 1834, died in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, July 3, 1909. He emigrated to America as a boy and settled in Phelps, where he obtained employment as a maltster. Sometime later he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he spent several years as head maltster of one of the large malt houses there. He then returned to Phelps, and for forty years was in the employ of the New York Central railroad there. He was a trustee of the Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis, at Phelps. He married April 13, 1861, Margaret FLYNN, (1843-1887) of Phelps. Children: 1. Mary, born March 1, 1862 - 1892, married William H. RILEY; 2. Edmund F., referred to below; 3. William, born January 19, 1869, deceased in 1894; 4. Marjory C., born February 24, 1871, deceased in 1900; 5. Anna, 1874-1902; 6. John Francis, born and died in 1878.    

Edmund F., son of Michael and Margaret (FLYNN) NEEDHAM, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, New York, February 10, 1864 and is now living there. He received his education in the public schools of Phelps, and went to work as a boy for the Crown Manufacturing Company. By industry and ability he worked his way up to the position of head clerk and bookkeeper, in which capacity he served for a number of years, and January 10, 1910, he was chosen president of the company. This company employs over sixty men, and is known the world over for its celebrated Crown Grain and Fertilizer Drills and its Crown Wheelbarrow Grass Seeder. Mr. NEEDHAM is a Democrat in politics, was for sometime collector of the village of Phelps and also of the school district, and is now (1911) school director. He is a trustee of St. Francis Church, and a member of the C.M.B.A.

He married (first), November 27, 1889, Margaret, daughter of John and Matilda (HEALY) BROPHY, of Phelps, New York, who died in 1900. Children: 1. John Francis, born August 27, 1890; 2. Edmund A., March 28, 1891; 3. Margaret M., January 19, 1896. He married (second) Alice A. BROPHY.   (NOTE: both buried in Phelps Village ceme.; John Brophy, 1841-1913; Matilda (Healy) Brophy, 1847-1910)

 

NELLIS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 226 - 227   

NELLIS, John W., Geneva, was born in Oppenheim, Fulton county, May 4, 1857, and was educated in the common schools and Rochester Commercial College.  He resided in Montgomery county seven years, and later came to Western New York, locating in Geneva, where is a farmer and dairyman.  March 13, 1883, he married Ettie D. FONDA, of Montgomery county, and they have one son, Edward Guy, born March 11, 1884.  Mr. NELLIS's father was born at the old home in 1809, and married Eva WILSON, of his native place.  They had 9 children, of whom seven survive: Eleanor, Margaret, Lena, James W., Emily, Martha and John W.  Mrs NELLIS's father, Dow H. FONDA, was born at Fonda, Montgomery county, in 1809.  In 1832 he married Ann VEEDER, who belonged to one of the representative families of his native town, and had seven children.  Mr. FONDA was a son of General FONDA, a soldier of the War of 1812.  Fonda, the county seat of Montgomery county, was named in honor of this family.  They owned slaves at an early day, and when a son or daughter married it was a custom to give them a slave.

 

 

NELSON

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 127

NELSON, Melvin H., Gorham, a native of Wisconsin, was born August 7, 1858.  His father was James W., a son of Lester, a son of Calvin, who was a native of Vermont and there married Ruth, sister of old Colonel REMINGTON of Canandaigua.  They had nine children.  In 1819 Calvin came to Canandaigua.  He died in 1847, and his wife in 1845.  Lester NELSON was born in Rupert, Vt., in 1798.  At the age of 21 years he walked to Canandaigua where he married Polly HANCHETT, a native of Onondaga county.  Her mother was a Miss BUSH, whose father came from Scotland and settled in Onondaga county.  He served in the Revolutionary War and for his services drew a section of land on which he spent the remainder of his life, living to be about 100 years of age.  Mr. NELSON and wife had five children.  He died in 1884, and his wife in 1882.  James W. NELSON was educated in Canandaigua Academy and followed teaching several years, and then went to Terre Haute where he remained five years.  He returned to Gorham and married Lydia HERRINGTON, a native of Hoosick, Rensselaer county, born in 1829.  He again went West and invested in property, but after thirteen years he returned to Gorham and purchased his father's farm.  He now owns 140 acres on which he has put many improvements.  He is a republican and held the office of town clerk in Wisconsin.  Melvin was educated in Canandaigua and Cook Academies.  He followed teaching several years and is now a farmer.  In 1887 he married Jean F. daughter of William THOMSON, Sr., and they have two children: Eva J. and Edna L.  Mr. NELSON is a republican.  In religion he is a Baptist and his wife a Presbyterian.  

 

NELSON   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 326

NELSON, Omri, Victor, was born in Rupert, Vt., November 27, 1814, and came with his parents to Henrietta, Monroe county, when less than two years old.  Sometime afterward they moved to Centrefield, in the town of Canandaigua, where he was educated in the district schools, but has always been a farmer until the year of 1885, when he retired.  He has married twice, first on December 6, 1838, Jemima BOUGHTON of the town of Victor.  They had 6 children: Irene, Harriet, Julia, Ruth, Ann, and Wilbur.  His first wife died May 2, 1884, and he married second, April 30, 1885, Mrs. Mary (CRONK) BENSON of Victor.  She has two children, both daughters: Mrs. Ella RAWSON and Carrie E. BENSON.  Mr. BENSON was killed in the Civil War.  Mr. NELSON's father, Calvin, was also born at Rupert, Vt., and married Ruth REMINGTON, sister to the original inventor of the famous Remington rifle, and they had 9 children: Ruth, Lester, Calvin, Sally, Diantha, Melton, George, Thomas and Annie.  Mr. NELSON has been an active member of the Methodist church since he was 14 years old, and of the Methodist church of Victor since 1838, class reader and steward as long as he was able to attend to the duties.  His first wife was a member until she died, so is also his present wife.  In politics he is a republican.

 

NETHAWAY 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 126

NETHAWAY, George N., Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua, February 7, 1846, a son of George and Rosana (PROUTY) NETHAWAY.  George, Sr., was born in Long Island, August 27, 1799, and came with his parents to Ontario county when 7 years old, and settled on the farm adjoining their present one.  George was a Democrat and held many offices in his town.  He married in 1839 a daughter of Ezra PROUTY, of Canandaigua, and they had four children, two of whom survive: Melissa, wife of C. M. SANFORD, a farmer of Canandaigua; and George N.  The latter was educated in the common schools, and assisted his father on the farm until his majority, when he worked the farm on shares.  At the death of his father, November 26, 1871, the farm was left to the two children, who conducted it for 8 years, when George N. bought out his sister's interest.  The farm now contains over 100 acres, the principal crops being grain and wool.  Mr. NETHAWAY has always been active in political work, and was but 21 years of age when he was elected to office; when 32 years of age he was elected commissioner of highways on the minority ticket, and after three years re-elected by a large majority, holding the office six years.  He married, December 25, 1873, Adelia M., daughter of Alonzo B. LUCAS, of Canandaigua, and they have one son, Henry Fay, a student of Canandaigua Academy.  Mrs. NETHAWAY died June 29, 1892, at 36 years of age.  (George N. married again in 1895 to Helen E.  ?, but had no children with her)

 

NEVILLE  

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol II, pg. 431 � 434 

Rev. P.A. NEVILLE, rector of the St. Bridget's Church, East Bloomfield, New York, has been an indefatigable Worker in the interests of his religion and the church of which he has charge, and his life is so closely connected with that institution that a history of the one must of necessity be a history of the other.

When the Rev. Bernard O'REILLY and his brother William, in turn, visited the village of East Bloomfield in 1846, the Catholics in that section numbered only about forty.  Three years later, Father QUIGLEY received permission to visit the section and minister to the wants of the poor Catholics of the vicinity.  After his departure the little fold was attended by the Rev. Edward O'CONNOR, of Canandaigua, and in 1852 he prevailed upon the still small community of Catholics to subscribe for the erection of a frame structure, thirty by forty feet in extent, to be used for divine services, and this was accomplished in the course of one year.  Rev. Nicholas BYRNE became the first resident pastor in March, 1856, and ministered to the dependencies---Victor, West Bloomfield, Honeoye Flats and East Mendon---and the little building was enlarged in order to hold the increased congregation.  Rev. Patrick LEE was appointed in the latter part of April, 1857, by Rt. Rev. John TIMON, was successful in the discharge of his duties, and Rt. Rev. John TIMON, July 1, 1861, appointed Rev. William HUGHES to assume charge of the mission.  The Catholics of this community had no cemetery of their own in which to bury their dead, and in 1864 Rev. William HUGHES purchased a site for that purpose.  This piece of land, consisting of five acres, was purchased of Benjamin BRADLEY, and in three years the sum of twenty-four hundred dollars was paid for it.  The first burial in this consecrated ground took place April 17, 1866, the body interred being that of William MOUNTAIN.

Rev. HUGHES made an earnest appeal to his congregation to erect a building worthy of their religion and themselves, and in February, 1874, commenced to solicit subscriptions to further this end.  He paid a visit to each family at the homestead, and in four days had received promissory notes amounting to thirteen thousand dollars, of which all except two hundred were paid within the course of two years.  This amount was subscribed by one hundred and five people, and bishops and priests have declared that it is exceptional in the largeness of the amount subscribed, the short time of collection and the small number of subscribers.  The corner-stone of the brick church of St. Bridget's, whose exterior dimensions are one hundred and ten by forty feet, was laid August 2, 1874, and the dedication took place June 13, 1875.  At that time everything necessary for the proper performance of divine service according to the Catholic ritual was provided, and even the magnificent grand organ was in place.  The young ladies of the congregation, who numbered thirty-nine, had contributed enough money to build the altar, provided the necessary adornments thereto, and the carpeting of the sanctuary, sacristy and the aisles of the edifice, at a cost of eight hundred dollars.  A number of persons, not of the Catholic faith, assisted them in this worthy object by contributions, and it is to be hoped that their names will be held in reverence.  In 1879 Father HUGHES was requested by Rt. Rev. Bishop McQUAID to relinquish the charge of West Bloomfield, which has since that time been ministered to from Lima.  A resident pastor was sent to Victor in 1882, and thus East Bloomfield alone remained in the charge of Father HUGHES, and he administered the spiritual and temporal affairs of East Bloomfield parish until his death, November 21, 1891, a period of more than thirty years.  His illness commenced in August of the last named year, and during its course and until the appointment of Rev. M.J. GARVEY in 1896, the parish affairs were in charge of Rev. J. J. DONNELLY, the pastor of Victor.  Rev. M. J. GARVEY took up the pastorate in May, 1896.  He was a conscientious, strong and energetic young priest, the first to be sent from St. Bernard's Seminary of Rochester, and he was received with warmth and good feeling by his new congregation.  The first manifestation of this was their refusal to permit him to dwell in the old pastoral residence which had seen service for so many years, and which was destroyed by fire the following year.  A subscription was immediately taken up in the parish, and from the money thus collected the present beautiful rectory was built.  Father GARVEY immediately had the interests of the church at heart.  One of his first and very early steps towards its improvements was the substitution of a steel ceiling for the plaster one in use, which was a source of continual danger to the worshippers.  Another improvement was the mode of heating, which he had changed from the old unsatisfactory furnace to the modern style of hot-water heating, which has been installed and which is as nearly perfect as it is possible to have.  Father GARVEY was in office but two short years when he was promoted to the larger field of Livonia and its dependencies, and July 7, 1898, Rev. P.A. NEVILLE, the present incumbent, who was also a graduate of the celebrated St. Bernard's Seminary, was appointed.

The first active work accomplished by Father NEVILLE after his arrival was the erection of the present sight and substantial barn, the building of a board walk, extending from the street in front and around the south side of the house, and thence to the church.  This was much needed, as the grounds were newly laid out, and added much to the beauty and perfection of the newly made lawn.  After seven years of service the walk was replaced by a substantial cement walk which was at this time extended all along the front of the church property, and at a cost in the neighborhood of three hundred dollars.  About this time also, Father NEVILLE installed a new and large hot water boiler in the church basement, and decorated the interior of the church, both improvements costing about $750.  His attention was also given to the beautifying and decorating of the cemetery.  The unsightly raised lots and mounds were leveled, the ground throughout plowed and worked, and newly seeded, and a beautiful, level, green lawn was the result.  Besides the many improvements he made and paid for, Father NEVILLE reduced the debt of the church from three thousand two hundred dollars (two thousand six hundred of which was a mortgage held by the Cayuga County Savings Bank of Auburn, New York, and for over 30 years it had remained the same, with only the annual interest paid, and six hundred dollars of which was a floating debt), to one thousand five hundred dollars, the present indebtedness.  The annual first communion for children is given on the first Sunday in July, and the Bishop visits the parish every third year for confirmation.  The parish does not grow in membership for the reason that the young people as soon as they reach the age of maturity go elsewhere to seek employment, there being no means of livelihood except the farm, which many, especially the young men, exchange for the more attractive, but more often ill-paid positions in the cities.  However, there are about five hundred members of the parish who are content to remain at home, and the farms which they do not disdain to till render them good returns and give to their tillers a free and independent life.

 

NEWLAND

History of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 384 

Dr. Frank Herrick NEWLAND, one of the rising young physicians of Clifton Springs, whose practice is an unusually large for the time it has been in existence, is a son of Fred H. and Elivy (CRANDALL) NEWLAND. 

Dr. NEWLAND was born in East Bloomfield, NY, December 13, 1873.  He attended the schools at Clifton Springs, Cook Academy at Montour Falls, NY and Colgate University.  He then became a student at the Homoeopathic Medical College, in Cleveland, Ohio from which he was graduated in the class of 1902 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.  He immediately established himself in practice in July of that year at Clifton Springs, and has been very successful in his choice of a profession. His political affiliations are with the republican party.  His fraternal associations are with the following organizations: Sincerity Lodge No. 200, Free and Accepted Masons of Phelps; Newark Chapter, No., 117, Royal Arch Masons; Zenobia Commandery, No. 41 Knights Templar, of Palmyra, NY; Clifton Springs Lodge, Knights of Pythias.  Dr. NEWLAND married at Clifton Springs, January 19, 1904, Maud B., born in Clifton Springs, daughter of Frank and Sarah (PEACHEY) VAN DYNE, the former steward of the Sanitarium for the past 25 years.  Child, Paul Van Dyne, born August 8, 1907. 

   

NEWMAN 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 255 - 256

NEWMAN, Algernon S., Canandaigua, was born in Bloomfield, May 1, 1837, a son of Willis, a native of New York, born at New Paltz on the Hudson, January 18, 1798.  When he was about ten years of age his father, Elijah, moved to Gorham.  Willis lived a number of years on the farm, and conducted a woolen mill about 1834, when he moved to East Bloomfield.  He married in 1822 Sarah SAWTELLE of Gorham, and they had four children; Sidney A., a retired merchant of Rochester, and Algernon, our subject being the only ones living.  Willis died in 1876.  The early life of Algernon was spent in East Bloomfield, where he lived on the farm till 19 years of age.  He spent one year in a dry goods store in Canandaigua, and two years in his brother's drug store in Rochester.  December 2, 1859, he established a drug store in this town, which he has ever since conducted.  This is, with one exception, the oldest drug store in Canandaigua.  Mr. NEWMAN has never taken an active interest in politics, but has held a membership in the village council.  He married in 1860 Augusta R(uby) DENTON of Havana, Schuyler county, and they had six children, five of whom survive: Willis D., manager of the drug store; Louisa, a distinguished musician of this town; Horace B., an assistant in the drug store; Frank S., and Gracia A.  They are members of the Congregational church.  Mrs. Augusta NEWMAN died January 17, 1893.  After her death her husband, who had been ill since early in the fall of 1892, began to decline, and died April 2, 1893.  Both died intestate.  Horace B. NEWMAN and O. S. BACON were appointed administrators of the estate of Augusta R. NEWMAN, and Louise M. NEWMAN and Edward O. SMITH were appointed administrators of the estate of Algernon S. NEWMAN.  Both estates are in process of settlement.  Horace B. NEWMAN, of the 31st of July, entered the employ of James HAWLEY of Kinderhook, Columbia county, NY, where he has charge of a drug and grocery store, as his employer is a traveling man.

 

 

NICHOLAS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 126 - 127 

 

NICHOLAS, John, Geneva, was a native of Virginia, and settled in Ontario county in 1803, at what is now known as White Springs.  He was a lawyer by profession, and was the first judge elected in Ontario county.  His son, Robert C., was but a year old when his father moved here.  He engaged in farming, representing his county several times in the Legislature.  He was one year State Senator, and was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1846.  He married Mary Selden ROSE, daughter of Robert S. ROSE, about 1826, and they had 4 children: John C., George W., Robert R., and Jane.  John C. is dead; Jane married Z. S. CLAGGETT, and lives at Hagerstown, Md.  Robert C. died in 1854 and his wife is 1837.  Hon. George W. NICHOLAS was born October 12, 1830.  He graduated from Hobart College in 1850, read law with Judge David BUEL in Troy, and attended law school at Ballston Spa.  He was admitted to the bar in January, 1852.  He practiced in Chicago 2 years, then returned to Geneva, where he has since resided.  In 1855 he engaged in the farming and nursery business, & was supervisor of Geneva during the war and for 5 years.  In 1870 he was elected member of the Legislature, and has been justice of the peace since 1881.  In 1854 he married Olivia M. GALLAGHER, daughter of George GALLAGHER, of New York. (Pultney ceme)

 

NICHOLS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 127 - 128   

NICHOLS, the late Edward H., Farmington, was born June 6, 1819.  He was educated in the common schools and was a merchant.  He married twice, first on January 1, 1843, Mary A. ADAMS of this town and had one son, George E., who married Mary GUE on December 24, 1868.  Mrs. NICHOLS died April 4, 1844, and he married second, November 14, 1852, Ann E., daughter of George and Eliza (WRIGHT) STEVENS of this town, formerly of England.  They had one daughter, Lillie A., who has charge of the store with her mother.  George E. NICHOLS died September 2, 1885, aged 41 years.  His father, Charles H., was born in Boundbrook, NJ, April 15, 1788.  He married Rhoda LISH and had 7 sons and one daughter.  His grandfather, Benjamin NICHOLS, was born in New Jersey in 1754.  Mrs. NICHOLS's father, George STEVENS, was born in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, Eng., in 1799, and married Eliza WRIGHT of his native place.  They had 11 children, who grew to maturity.  Mrs. NICHOLS and daughter are members of the M. E. church.  The ancestry of the family is Scotch on the paternal side, and English on the maternal.  

 

NOBLE  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 256

NOBLE, Levi, Richmond, was born where he now lives, on the west side of the lake, April 17, 1828.  His father, Levi, was born in Blanford, Mass., in 1792, and came with his father, Medad, first to Pompey, NY, and in 1804 to this town.  Medad died before his grandson Levi was born.  He was a shoemaker, while his son Levi was a carpenter, but he early engaged in farming.  The children of Medad were: Mercy D., Harriet, Pamelia, Levi, Clarissa, Bohan, Phinneas, Loren, and Jonathan F.  Levi was educated in the district schools, and married in 1865 Harriet BATCHELLOR, daughter of Perrin BATCHELLOR.  She died in 1891.  Their children were: Horace, Lydia, John, Levi, Mary, George, and Harriet.  Mr. NOBLE has been a farmer all his life, and has now about 420 acres, part of which is in Canadice.  His grandfather, Medad, was a Revolutionary soldier for seven years. (Lakeview cemetery, Richmond)

 

NORRIS

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893 , pg 127

 

NORRIS, A. M.,  J., Carlton, Canandaigua, was born in Palmyra on the farm settled by his grandfather, Silas, and owned at the present time by his father, Jacob.  The early life of our subject was spent in the town of his birth, where he received his first education in the district school and at the Marion Collegiate Institute.  In 1866 he entered Phillips Academy at Andover, Mass., where he remained two years.  In 1873 he became principal at Walworth Academy, and filled that position until coming to Canandaigua Academy in the fall of 1885.  The patronage of the academy has greatly increased under his management and he has now over 100 students under his care.  (See history of academy).  Prof. NORRIS married in 1872 Julia Helen, daughter of J. D. BENNETT, esq., of Walworth, by whom he has one son, now in his 18th year.  Prof. NORRIS is one of the board of police commissioners of Canandaigua, a deacon in the Congregational church, and a member of Walworth Lodge No. 254 F. & A. M.  

 

NORTH

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 126  

NORTH, the late James B., Victor, was born in East Bloomfield, July 24, 1825, was educated in the public schools and followed farming.  February 20, 1856, he married Jane E., daughter of Henry and Isabella (BENNETT) ELLIS, of Victor.  The ELLIS family is one of the oldest families of the town.  They had four children: Nettie E., Frank A., Harry E., and Lydia J., all residing at home, the sons running the farm.  Mr. NORTH's father, Edwin, was born in Goshen, Litchfield county, Conn., and came with his father to East Bloomfield when he was 16 years old, and October 9, 1827, married Lydia M. COOLEY, of Canandaigua.  They had five children: James B., Elisha, Lyman C., Horatio B., and Ellen M., who died April 9, 1840.  James B. died December 27, 1891.  His father, Edwin, died April 20, 1873.  The family are members of the Universalist Church.  The ancestry of the family is English, Scotch, and Welsh.

 

NORTH

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 129

NORTH, Lyman C., Canandaigua, was born in East Bloomfield, September 19, 1832, a son of Edwin A. NORTH, a farmer of that town.  He was educated in East Bloomfield Academy under Prof. KELLAM, and after leaving school engaged in the blacksmith and machine business, which he followed until about 1875.  In 1867 Mr. NORTH went to Nashville, Tenn., following his trade, and in 1872 went to Niagara county, where he remained until he removed here in 1875.  He is the superintendent of the Canandaigua Gas Light Company, which position he has held since 1875, and he, with one exception--the president of the company---is the only one of the officers living that were of the board when Mr. NORTH came here.  In 1882 Mr. NORTH was elected trustee, and in 1883 the president of the village and again in 1891, which office he now fills.  Mr. NORTH and wife are interested in the Universalist church of Victor.  He married in 1859 Susan A. CRANDALL, of Niagara county, and they have one child, Stanley C., a gas engineer of New York.  

 

NORTH  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 326 - 327

NORTH, Robinson D., Canandaigua, was born in Goshen, Conn., August 14, 1818, a son of Israel, who came to Ontario county in 1820 and settled on a farm in East Bloomfield, where he died in 1843.  He had 8 children, four of whom survive: Nelson H., a retired merchant of Syracuse; John D., a manufacturer of Denver, Col.; Eliza J., wife of Charles HIGBY of Syracuse; and Robinson D.  The early life of the latter was spent in East Bloomfield.  He was educated in the common schools and Canandaigua Academy, and after leaving school he followed farming until 1880, when he established the manufacture of grape boxes, which business he now conducts.  The factory is located in lower Main street, where it at one time employed a number of hands, but the innovation of grape baskets has caused a falling off of the trade in boxes.

Mr. NORTH is a prominent figure of the businessmen of this town, and it is said of him he has many friends and few enemies.  He has been a member of the Canandaigua Board of Health and has always taken an active interest in church work, and is now an elder in the Presbyterian church of Canandaigua.  While in Bloomfield he was a trustee of the Congregational church.  Mr. NORTH married in 1839, Ora, daughter of Josiah CHATFIELD, a native of Massachusetts, who followed farming at Auburn, NY.  They have two children: Charlotte Elizabeth, widow of Philip VANDENBURG of Canandaigua, and Lydia M., wife of David S. WILLY of Canandaigua.  At his death in 1878 Philip VANDENBURG left two daughters: Ora H., a student of Detroit Normal School; and Mabel L.

 

 

NORTON

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 128  

NORTON, John M., East Bloomfield, was born at East Bloomfield, December 5, 1842, a son of Moses and Rhoda (MERWIN) NORTON.  The grandfather, Medad, was a son of Miles, who was a son of Ebenezer, son of Samuel of Durham, Conn., who descends from Thomas D. NORTON, who came from England in 1639 and settled near New Haven.  Miles was born March 30, 1740, and was 3 times married.  His eldest son, Medad, was born May 30, 1759, and entered the Continental Army for his father, who was drafted.  He came to Bloomfield in 1802, where he died August 17, 1837.  His wife was Martha RICE by whom he had 10 children: Anson, Harmon, Uri, Moses, William R., Sarah, Clara and Ora, and two who died young.  His wife died August 12, 1841.  Moses was born August 31, 1802, in Bloomfield, where he lived until his death, July 18, 1878.  He had two brothers who served in the War of 1812.  He reared four children: Harley, Mary A., William R. and John M.  His wife was born in Hudson, NY, a daughter of Daniel and Sarah (GUTHRIE) MERWIN, natives of Connecticut and New York respectively.  She died June 28, 1870. John M. NORTON was raised on a farm and had a district school education, supplemented by a course at the Academy of Fine Arts, Le Roy, NY.  His principal occupation in connection with farming is animal portraiture, making a specialty of sheep.  He owns a farm of 58 acres, and takes and active interest in politics.

 

NORTON

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 128 - 129

NORTON, Theodore M., Victor, was born in the town of Ogden, April 4, 1839.  He was educated in the public schools and Macedon Academy, and has been a contractor and builder, also has conducted a lumber and coal trade until his partner, John J. SNDYER, died in 1889.  He then sold out the business to Loomis & Woodworth.  He married twice, first on March 30, 1865, Chloe, daughter of Calvin and Perces PAYNE.  She was a member of one of the oldest families of the town of Farmington, and they had one daughter, Hollis E.  Mrs. NORTON died June 19, 1884, and he married second, December 14, 1886, Mrs. Minerva SNYDER, daughter of George JOHNSON, formerly of Montgomery county.  They had two children: Everett J. and M. Marie.  Mrs. NORTON had four children by her first marriage: Catherine J., who died at the age of 13 years; Anna E., George J. and Jennie E. SNYDER.   Mr. NORTON is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139 F. & A. M., and Newark Chapter No. 117 R. A. M., is also one of the trustees of the Cemetery Association, and has been justice of the peace for 10 years.  His grandfather, Eber, was born at Goshen, Conn., and came to East Bloomfield about the year 1787.  Mr. NORTON's father, Alfred, was his youngest son, was born in that town in 1799, and married Emeline DEMING, daughter of the late Simeon DEMING, of Stockbridge, Mass.  Mrs. NORTON is a member of the Universalist church, and he of the society.  

 

OAKS  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 247

OAKS, Nathan, Phelps, one of two children of Thaddeus and Fanny (DICKINSON) OAKS, was born in Phelps at Oaks Corners November 9, 1821.  His father, Thaddeus, was born in Conway, Mass., and came to Phelps when a boy with his father, Jonathan OAKS, in 1790, and lived and died here.  His mother, Fanny DICKINSON, was also born in Conway, Mass.  Nathan OAKS married, October 18, 1848, Susan HEMINGWAY, of Palmyra, Wayne county, daughter of Truman and Mary (ALDRICH) HEMINGWAY.  They have four children: Thaddeus, William A., Nathan Jr., and Edward P. OAKS.  The farm comprising 170 acres is devoted to general farming products and seven acres of hops.  Mr. OAKS has always been an enterprising and representative citizen.

 

 

 

OAKS

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 218 - 222 

The founder of this family, Nathaniel OAK(E) must not be confounded with Thomas and Edward OAK(E)S, the founders of the Cambridge-Malden family, or with the Welsh William, who founded the Worcester county family.  As Nathaniel wrote his name, it was originally OAK or OAKE.  His son Jonathan added a final "s" and descendants of the fourth and fifth generations are about equally divided between the spellings OAKS and OAKES.  Nathaniel OAK(E) was born about 1645, and died at Westboro, February 17, 1721.  The following account of his immigration is inscribed in the family Bible of one of his great-grandchildren: 

"The grandfather of my mother, was a cabin boy on an English vessel bound to Boston.  Nine miles from land the vessel foundered.  All the ship's crew, except the boy whose name was Oaks, were lost.  He, being a good swimmer, swam ashore.  In his distress he solemnly promised the Lord if He would preserve him to get to land, he would never go onto the water again.  This promise he sacredly kept.  His wife, my great-grandmother, could never persuade him even to cross Charles River in a boat to Boston, he would always go around upon the neck.  Thus he reached his after-home, poor and penniless, without even clothes to cover him, and as was then the custom, having no friends in America, he was bound out to learn his own living.  His master sat him to work in a pitch-pine forest to pick up pine knots.  In this employ he was attacked by a catamount, or wild cat, which he slew with a large pine knot.  His master gave him the bounty the State paid for the pelt of this furious beast, with which he bought a sheep or two, which he let out to double.  These sheep were all the property he began the world with when he became of age.  He often said that while swimming to land he suffered more from hunger than anything else.  When tired he would turn on his back and rest.  The above account I have often heard my mother and uncle relate." 

He married (first), December 14, 1686, Mehitable, daughter of John and Ann REDIAT, who was born in Sudbury, Massachusetts, in 1646, and died without issue, November 25, 1702.  He married (second), May 20, 1703, Mary, daughter of Adam and Hannah (HAYWARD) HALLOWAY and widow of Jacob FARRAR, who was killed in King Philip's war in 1676.  She was born February 25, 1682, and died after 1733.  She is survived her second husband, and married (third), July 2, 1722, Thomas RICE, by whom she had two children.  Children of Nathaniel and Mary (HOLLOWAY-FARRAR) OAK:  1. Nathaniel, June 7, 1704, died, probably June 5, 1783; married (first), February 20, 1727, Tabitha RICE, and (second), June 7, 1736, Keziah MAYNARD.  2. William, born February 18, 1706, died August 8, 1723; unmarried.  3. Hannah, born December 27, 1707, died March 3, 1807; married, about 1728, Gershom Fay Jr.  4. Mary, born March 31, 1710, died April 4, 1805; married, February 20, 1735, Daniel MAYNARD.  5. Ann, born September 9, 1712, married about 1735, David MAYNARD.  6. John, born March 16, 1715, died in September, 1752; married, November 2 or 3, 1742, Susanna ALLEN.  7. Jonathan, referred to below.  8. George, born February 15, 1720, died after 1777; married (first), October 23 or 26, 1774, Lydia EAGAR, and (second), June 12 or 13, 1765, Mary BARTLETT.  He settled in Rutland, and was one of the Lexington minute-men. 

     ( II ) Jonathan, son of Nathaniel and Mary ( HOLLOWAY-FARRAR ) OAK, was born in Marlboro, Massachusetts, August 21, 1717, and died between December 2, 1784 and March 12, 1785.  He was the first to adopt the spelling Oaks, in his surname.  He lived for a few years each, in Westboro, Boston and Storr, and settled on the Oak Hill farm in Harvard, Massachusetts, where he built his home, which was still standing in 1896.  From his title of "Captain" on the old records he was probably captain of the training band, may have served in the French and Indian war, and in fact, it is a family tradition that he fought under Wolfe at Quebec.  In 1772 he settled finally in Canaan, Maine, his land being part of the site of the present city of Skowhegan, and including an island in the Kennebec river that still bears his name.  According to tradition, he had twenty-four children, but he names only sixteen in his will.  He married (first) about 1740, Rebecca, daughter of Robert and Rebecca ( OSGOOD ) BANARD, who was born September 10, 1725 or July 17, 1727, died before 1748.  He married (second) (intention dated January 19, 1749) Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth WHEELER, who was born February 15, 1727, died November 23, 1750.  Her mother was a descendant of Captain THOMAS, who led the Concord company in King Philip's war.  He married (third) about 1751, Sarah WHEELER, sister to his second wife, who was born August 23, 1733, died May 22, 1761.  He married (fourth), April 23 or 26, 1762, Abigail, daughter of John and Abigail ( WHITNEY ) RAND, who was born November 14, 1736, died in Sangerville, Maine, in 1813.  Children of record:  1. Mary, born July 16, 1741, died September 13, 1794; married, March 14, 1758, Jonathan SAMPSON, a descendant of Captain Miles STANDISH of the "Mayflower."  2. Lydia, born June 6, 1743, died January 2 or 4, 1802; married, November 29, 1766 or November 19, 1767, Ebenezer CONANT.  3. Elizabeth, baptized November 25, 1752; married, September 11, 1770, Nathan BIGELOW.  4. A son, died in infancy.  5. Sarah, born January 12, 1752, married, 1771, William BLACKDEN.  6. Jonathan, referred to below.  7. Rebecca, born about 1756.  8. John, born October 22, 1757 or 1758, died June 25, 1842; married about 1780, Abigail LAMBERT.  9. Daniel, born about 1760 or 1761, died perhaps in 1845; married, (first), September 9, 1788, Morning Blin FLAGG, (second) before 1787, Susan ____, and (third) before 1801, Deborah DORCAS ( ALBEE ) FLETCHER.  10. Lois, baptized October 23, 1763, died May 12, 1815; married about 1793, Dr. William SEARS.  11. Levi, baptized October 23, 1763, died in 1831; married in 1788, Lydia BROWN.  12. Millie, baptized September 11, 1768, died January 16, 1845; married (intention dated July 20, 1787) Sherebiah LAMBERT.  13. Solomon, born May 9, 1769, died January 24, 1857, married in 1786, Suzanna CLARK.  14. Sybil, baptized November 19, 1769, died about 1845; married about 1796, Daniel HOMSTED.  15. Abel, born April 10, 1771, died December 21, 1856; married, November 23, 1792, Betsy HAMLIN.  16. William, born August, 1773 or June 7, 1774, died June 12 or December 28, 1851; married (first) (intention dated September 5, 1793) Susan ORR, and (second) about 1836, Martha Morgridge.  17. Lucy, born December 22 or 27, 1776, died December 27, 1852; married, October 7, 1797, David DOUTY

     ( III ) Jonathan ( 2 ), son of Jonathan ( 1 ) and Sarah ( WHEELER ) OAKS, was born in Harvard, Massachusetts, died in Oaks Corners, Ontario county, New York, in 1802.  He is named in his father's will in 1784 as the oldest son, with a legacy of ten shillings "if he ever comes back to this place."  He was in Sunderland, Massachusetts, in 1767, in Deerfield, in 1770, and in Conway, Massachusetts, in 1773.  In 1789 he settled in what is now Oaks Corners, New York, preempting 600 acres of land on which he erected the Oaks Corners tavern.  Here the first town-meeting was held, and Mr. OAKS was elected the first supervisor of the district of Sullivan, now the town of Phelps.  He married Martha, daughter of Nathaniel HAWKS, who died in 1816.  Children as far as known:  Lucius, Samuel, Thaddeus, referred to below. 

     ( IV ) Thaddeus, son of Jonathan ( 2 ) and Martha ( HAWKS ) OAKS, was born in Conway, Massachusetts, and came to Phelps, with his father in 1790 and died there.  He married Fanny DICKINSON, December 1820 in Phelps, also of Conway, Massachusetts.  Children:  Nathan, referred to below; Mary Lucretia, who married L. B. HOTCHKISS, of Phelps, New York.  

     ( V ) Nathan, son of Thaddeus and Fanny ( DICKINSON ) OAKS, was born in Oaks Corners, Ontario county, New York, November 9, 1821, and died in 1905.  He took an active part in the affairs of his native town and the Democratic party had in him an earnest member.  He was twice nominated by his party for the state assembly and was supervisor of the town of Phelps from 1861 to 1865.  He married, October 18, 1848, Susan, daughter of Truman and Mary ( ALDRICH ) HEMINGWAY, of Palmyra, New York.  Children:  Thaddeus, living in Geneva, New York; Albert T., died aged four; William A., referred to below; Edward P.; Mary L., died 1876, aged 20; Fannie S., died 1879, aged 20; Nathan, referred to below. 

     ( VI ) William A., son of Nathan ( 1 ) and Susan ( HEMINGWAY ) OAKS, was born in Oaks Corners, Ontario county, New York, July 29, 1853, and is now living there.  He received his education in the public schools and the Carey Seminary and then engaged in farming, making a specialty of hop growing.  He is a trustee of the Protestant Episcopal church of Phelps and trustee of the school at Oaks Corners.  He is a member of Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Grange.  At one time he was master of, delegate to, the state grange.  He married Jessie A., daughter of Thomas and Sarah COOKE, of Neenah, Wisconsin; no children, but adopted two:  Frank; Madeleine.   

     ( VI ) Nathan ( 2 ), son of Nathan ( 1 ) and Susan ( HEMINGWAY ) OAKS, was born in Oaks Corners, Ontario county, New York, March 25, 1860, and is now living there.  He received his education in the public schools of Phelps and Geneva, New York, and in 1886, engaged in the lumber, coal, grain and elevator business near Sheldrake Station, Seneca county, New York.  Thirteen years later he gave this business up and engaged for four years in farming and then, on the death of his father in 1905, he sold his farm and returned to Oaks Corners, where he purchased the interest of the other heirs in the old homestead, which he now owns and manages.  In 1910 he purchased the HOTCHKISS farm of 175 acres. He has been justice of the peace since 1907, is a trustee of the school at Oaks Corners, and of the union religious society of Oaks Corners.  Mr. OAKS is a member of Sincerity Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Enterprise Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and is now ( 1911 ) serving as its master.  He married in 1889, Margaret A., daughter of William H. and Charlotte A. ( SHELDON ) VAN VALKENBERG, of Phelps, New York.  Children:  Albert Sheldon, born February 1, 1891; Nathan Hemingway, born June 22, 1895; Carlton Van Valkenburg, born October 22, 1897.

 

O'BRIEN

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol II, pg. 367 - 369

Patrick O'BRIEN was born in county Galway, Ireland, March 11, 1832, died August 14, 1908, in the town of Manchester, New York.  He came to this country when a young man, landing at Castle Garden, New York, and came after a short time to Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, where he found employment.  Being blessed with a happy disposition and abundant good nature, he made many friends.  Industrious, frugal and honest, he made his way and prospered.  He became the owner of a good farm, which he conducted the remainder of his life.  He was an upright, earnest citizen, a staunch Democrat in politics, and a faithful member of the Roman Catholic church.  He was married, February 11, 1858, at Geneva, New York, by Rev. Father O'CONNOR, to Anne McGRATH, who was also born in county Galway, Ireland, and who died in the town of Manchester, New York, February 4, 1906, aged 72 years.  Children:  Daniel R., mentioned below; John J., born December 23, 1861; Mary A., November 28, 1863, married Thomas FITZGERALD, of Hopewell, November 28, 1888, and died January 28, 1890; Patrick W., November 17, 1865; Julia, December 22, 1868, died December 23, 1888; Francis, July 9, 1872; Martin E., July 5, 1876. 

Daniel R., son of Patrick O'BRIEN, was born at Hopewell, February 5, 1859, and was educated there in the public schools.  He has followed farming for an occupation.  In 1888 he bought the KNAPP farm, now known as the Orchard Grove Farm, which is nicely located in the town of Hopewell, a mile and a half southeast of Shortsville village, and one of the best cultivated and most productive fruit and grain farms in Ontario county.  He is a progressive and up-to-date farmer, and energetic and industrious.  His barns and other farm buildings are models in construction and of tasteful design.  The house was built in 1824, but has a modern appearance and is cozy and homelike.  Mr. O'BRIEN is generous, open-hearted and charitable, and commands the esteem of the entire community.  He is a member of St. Dominick Roman Catholic church.  He is a member of K. O. T. M., Tent No. 119, and C. M. B. A., No. 142.  In politics he is a Democrat. He married, February 27, 1889, Anna McMAHON, of Victor, Ontario county, a daughter of Michael and Margaret (MARRINAN) McMAHON.  Children:  Margaret A., born September 5, 1890; John Emmett, September 6, 1891, graduate of Shortsville high school with honor, June 21, 1910; Walter P., June 17, 1893; Francis M., September 9, 1897, died October 30, 1905.  Mrs. Anna (McMAHON) O'BRIEN was educated at Victor, Ontario county, and at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, New York, and for several years before her marriage was a successful school teacher. 

The parents of Mrs. O'BRIEN were natives of county Clare, Ireland.  Her father, Michael McMAHON, was born September 20, 1834.  Her mother, Margaret (MARRINAN) McMAHON, was born April 1, 1834.  They were playmates and schoolmates in Ireland.  Mr. MAHON came to America when fifteen years of age (1849), landing in Charlotte, New York, after a voyage of seven weeks.  He found employment with different families, who were all very kind to him, he having no friend or relatives other than his brother and three sisters, who came over with him, and the lot of this boy was by no means an easy one.  However, he was industrious and honest, and by diligence was soon able to accumulate money, and after a few years he was enabled to buy a small farm in Victor.  His old playmate came to America in the early fifties, and on February 5, 1855, they were married, and lived to celebrate their golden wedding in 1905.  Mrs. McMAHON died October 24, 1908.  Children:  Ella, who married Owen MURPHY, February 22, 1881, died August 3, 1884, leaving two children, William and Francis; Anna, who became Mrs. O'BRIEN; Margaret C., wife of William MURRAY, of Victor, three children, Loretta, Leo and Vincent; Julia, married John J. LYNAUGH, eight children: Margaret, Henry, Helen, Howard, Beatrice, John F., George and Paul J.  In religion the family are members of the Roman Catholic church.

 

 

ODELL

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 130

ODELL, B(enjamin) F(ranklin), Phelps, was born in East Chester, West Chester county, NY, October 17, 1833.  His father, Thomas, was born in the same place.  He was a soldier of the War of 1812.  His wife, Mary Ann (HOWE) ODELL, came from Connecticut.  Benjamin ODELL, the grandfather, was also a native of West Chester county.  B. F. ODELL came to Phelps in 1861, and five years later moved into the village and engaged in the grocery business, which he followed successfully until 1881, when he sold the business.  Since that time he has been engaged in the real estate and insurance business.  In 1874 he built the Odell Block.  Mr. ODELL has served the town as supervisor two terms, and is now serving a second term as president of the village.  He married in 1856 M. E. BURTIS, of West Chester county, and they have four children: Alice (Mrs. A. B. JONES, of Syracuse); Edgar B., of Utica; Frank S., of Sandcoulee, Mont., and Charles W., of Torrington, Conn.  Benjamin ODELL died in his 88th year.  Thomas ODELL was born January 31, 1796; died March 8, 1890, in his 95th year.  

 

OGDEN

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 129 - 130

OGDEN, Nelson, Richmond, was born November 19, 1822 in Kent, Conn.  His father was Robert, born in 1777, and his grandfather was killed by the Indians at the Wyoming massacre, while his grandmother fled with the children to the older settlements.  Nelson when 33 years of age came to this county.  He married Charity HOAGLAND, of Canandaigua, daughter of Henry HOAGLAND.  After spending ten years at Havana, where three of their children were born, they came to Richmond in 1855, where Mr. OGDEN purchased a farm near Allen's Hill, on which he now resides.  Of his children, Anna Jane was born in 1846; Henry G. in 1849; George N. in 1853, and Carrie G. in 1856.  He built the tile factory now owned by Mr. ABBEY, and conducted the business for seven years.  His wife died in 1890.  His son, George Nelson OGDEN, was born in Havana in 1853, and came here with his parents.  He was educated at Le Roy Academy and Lima Seminary, also at East Bloomfield Academy.  For 6 years he was engaged in the grocery trade at Canadice Corners, but for the past ten years has been in charge of the homestead farm.  He married in 1873 Emma C., daughter of Sebra L. CASE, of West Bloomfield, and they have two children: Harry B., born in 1878, and Hattie B., born in 1883.  He is custodian of the imported stock horse "Halifax," owned by a company of which he is a member.  Carrie G. OGDEN, daughter of Nelson, married B. F. PHILLIPS, of Bristol, a farmer, whose grandfather, Jonathan, from Massachusetts, was a pioneer of this section and settled the farm now owned by his grandson.

 

 

O'LEARY   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 327

O'LEARY, Patrick, West Bloomfield, was born February 17, 1845, in County Cork, Ireland, a son of Humphrey and Mary (O'NEIL) O'LEARY.  He came with his parents to this country in 1849, locating first in Richmond and later in Victor, where his father died in 1881.  They had, besides Patrick, six children: Joanna, wife of James APPLETON; Ellen, wife of Daniel WEBSTER; and Humphrey, all now in Michigan; Mary, wife of Polk O'NEIL; Catharine, widow of Thomas McNAMARA; and Margaret, wife of Philip SCULLY.  Patrick was educated at the common schools, and worked at home and by the month until of age, when he worked a farm at Victor three years.  In 1872 he with his father purchased a farm in the latter town, and in 1874 removed to Miller's Corners where he has since been engaged more or less in the produce business and in farming.  He was elected on the republican ticket supervisor for the years 1890-91.  He married, June 12, 1845, Eliza TOOMEY, of this town.  They have no children.

 

 

O'MALLEY

History of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 371-373 

Hon. Patrick O'MALLEY was born in Lyons, New York, February 25, 1858, and attended the public schools of Lyons and Geneva, New York, and the Geneva high school.  He came with the family form Lyons to Geneva when he was a boy of nine and his first work was in the employ of Maxell Brothers, nurserymen, weeding for the modest wages of fifty cents a day.  He worked in various nurseries in Geneva until he was sixteen, when he became a clerk in the grocery store of Flynn & Dorsey for a year.  He then entered the employ of Mr. HIGGINS in the trucking business and as the business increased, he was given more responsibility, in the course of time becoming foreman.  When his employer died, Mr. O�MALLEY was admitted to partnership by the widow.  Two years later the entire plant of the firm was destroyed by fire.  Mr. O�MALLEY made a new start on his own account, beginning in a small way and adding gradually to his equipment and his business and capital increased.  At the present time his equipment is designed to handle all kinds of trucking form light express work to the heaviest.  He has sixteen horses employed and a considerable force of men.  Most of his business is in Geneva.  He has for many years had charge of the Standard Oil business and the Pillsbury flour business in Geneva; of the transportation for Granger & Company�s warehouses; of the delivery of all the goods shipped by boat or rail to the merchants of Geneva from the Crouse Grocery Company, from the grocery house of G. Thalheimer; from F.L. Walrath & Company; Hudson Brothers; Bentley & Settle; G.C. Buell & Company of Rochester, NY; and from Cahill Brothers, cracker manufactures of Syracuse.  The deliveries and freight of the Herendeen Manufacturing Company of Geneva are also handled by him.  He keeps two teams constantly employed in delivering freight from the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad freight house and from the Lehigh Valley road.  He has an unequalled reputation for promptness and reliability in his line of work.  In addition to his own extensive business, he is a stockholder of the Fay & Bowen Engine Company; a director in the Geneva Cutlery Company; in the Geneva Glass Company; the Geneva Furniture Company; the Ontario Coal Company; the Empire Coke Company; and the Summit Foundry.  He is also director of the Geneva Savings Bank.  He has always been interested in politics and possessing the public confidence to a remarkable degree, he is a leading influence in the Democratic party in Geneva.  He was appointed alderman some years ago, was formerly tax collector of the city, and on November 5, 1909, he was elected mayor of the city for a term of two years.  His administration has been eminently satisfactory and his personal popularity has increased.  In June 1910, he attended the conference of mayors of the state of New York, where he delivered an interesting address entitled, � The Prevention of Disease by the Elimination of Dust, which was received with hearty commendation and embodied in the report.  He also attended the conference of mayors at Poughkeepsie, New York, May 25-27, 1911, where he spoke on the subject of �Paving and Care of Streets�.  He was chairman of the 1910 conference.  His administration as mayor speaks for itself, and no man in the city of Geneva is held in higher esteem.  He is a member of the Knights of Columbus; of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of the Eagles.    Mayor O�MALLEY has been a faithful Catholic and is trustee of the St. Frances de Sales church. 

Mayor O'MALLEY is a typical self-made man, starting with nothing but a vigorous constitution and ambition, tireless energy and high purposes, native shrewdness and ability.  He has shown the public spirit of a loyal citizen, working for the betterment of the city, and has interested himself in many projects that have tended to develop and improve the municipality, adding to its wealth and prestige and making for its present and future prosperity.  His judgment in investing his savings has been exceptional, and he has been fortunate in real estate operations.  He has the wit, humor, geniality and resourcefulness that are sometimes called characteristic of his race and ancestry, and he has the high ideals and sterling common sense of the sell made American. 

He married in Geneva, August 15, 1874, Mary, born in Ireland, January 1, 1858, daughter of Owen WHITE.  Children: 1. John F., born September 9, 1885, bookkeeper of the Empire Coke Works and city clerk;  2. Mary E., June 29, 1887, assistant city clerk;  3. Ellen, November 25, 1888;  4. William P., June 12, 1890;  5. Kathaleen, February 8, 1892, student at Nazareth Academy, Rochester, NY;  6. Joseph M., November 9, 1893;  7. Alice, June 15, 1895;  8. Norine, May 8, 1897;   9. Charles, January 10, 1899;  10. Pauline, June 12, 1901.  John, Mary, Ellen, Kathaleen, Joseph M. and Alice have all graduated from St. Francis Parochial School with high honors. 

Michael O�MALLEY, father of Mayor O�MALLEY, was a native of Ireland and came to America in the year 1860.  He was employed in railroading until 1856, when he died from injuries received in the railroad yards at Lyons, New York, where he was struck by a locomotive.

 

OSBORNE   

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 328

OSBORNE, David H., Victor, was born in the town of Austerlitz, Columbia county, November 11, 1819.  He received a common and academic education.  He came to Victor at the age of 16 years and was a clerk in a general store for a while, returning to finish his studies.  Afterwards he came to Rochester, where he entered the mercantile business until 1845, when he came to Victor where for a short time he conducted a general store, retiring from business to take charge of the real estate interests of the family, with the exception living a retired life.  January 5, 1847, he married Lavina A., daughter of William and Lavina BUSHNELL, of this town.  They reside on the homestead.  They have had four children: William B., who married Laura V. McDONALD, of Rochester; Cora B. resides at home with her parents; Carrie B. married Mark T. POWELL, an attorney of Canandaigua; and Henry B., who died when nearly three years old.  Mr. OSBORNE's father, David, was born in East Hampton, L. I., and went to Columbia county when a young man.  He married Polly WRIGHT, of that county, and had five children: Samuel W., Mary M., John W., David H. and Harriet A.  Mr. OSBORNE is a member of the Presbyterian church, holds the position of deacon and elder, and is interested in all good work.

 

 

 

OSBURN

History of Ontario Co., NY and Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol II, pg. 414 - 415 

Sturgis OSBURN was probably descended from the OSBORNS of Fairfield county, Connecticut.  He lived in Dutchess county, New York, and died in the West. 

     ( II ) John, son of Sturgis OSBURN, was born in Dutchess county, New York, in 1807, died February 4, 1885.  When a small boy he came with his parents to Farmington, Ontario county, New York.  He started in life on a small farm at Farmington and by industry and close application to business became one of the most prosperous and successful farmers of the town.  From time to time he added to his farm until he had at the time of his death 308 acres.  In politics he was a republican and took an active interest in public affairs, but for business reasons declined public office. 

He married Hannah Tracy SMITH, who was born at Farmington, September 18, 1812, died May 18, 1864, daughter of Levi and Lucy (HAYWARD) SMITH.  Her father was born December 17, 1770, died February 5, 1857; her mother was born December 5, 1788, died September 6, 1847.  Children of John OSBURN.  1. Charles C., born September 24, 1832, died in 1907; married Maria NELSON and had four children.  2. Lucy M., June 16, 1835; married William HAYWARD.  3. Stephen H., January 20, 1837; lost his life in the Civil War in front of Petersburg.  4. Levi S., December 24, 1839; married Harriet JONES and had one child.  5. Mary E., September 25, 1841, died in 1889; married and had one child, now deceased.  6. Henry C., mentioned below.  7. Frances A., October 13, 1846, married Silas HOWE.  8. John Byron (twin), May 30, 1852.  9. James Myron (twin), May 30, 1852, died November 29, 1852. 

     ( III ) Henry C., son of John OSBURN, was born at Farmington, September 23, 1843, and was educated there in the district schools.  From early youth he assisted his father on the farm and he remained on the homestead until his father died.  He inherited part of the farm and bought the remainder of the other heirs and he has continued to carry on the paternal homestead to the present time.  Mr. OSBURN is prominent in town affairs.  He was an inspector of election for a number of years; assessor of the town of Farmington from 1891 to 1894 and supervisor in 1894-95.  For 5 years he was justice of the peace and at the present time holds that office.  In politics he is a republican.  In religion he is a believer in the faith of the Friends. 

He married, November 14, 1867, Mary HOWLAND, who was born at Farmington, February 9, 1848, daughter of Abraham HOWLAND, who was born at Farmington, February 6, 1821, and married, in 1844, Phoebe McCUMBER, born in 1821, died February 19, 1851.  Her father died June 9, 1897.  Mrs. OSBURN had a sister, Lucile HOWLAND, born at Farmington in 1846, married Winfield MINK.  Randall ROBBINSON, great-grandfather of Mrs. OSBURN, was a native of Vermont and a soldier in the Revolution.  Children of Mr. and Mrs. OSBURN:  1. Louis C., born at Farmington, January 19, 1873; married May CORNFORD and has one child.  2. John A., born February 11, 1877; married Nellie HAWKINS.  3. Stacy L., born December 4, 1884.

 

OSGOOD

History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 225 

The name of OSGOOD, like that of OSBORNE and several other surnames beginning with Os, is of Saxon origin.  "Os" (signifying deity) combined with good, became at an early date a surname of considerable prominence in England, numerically and otherwise.  Ancestors of the American OSGOODS resided in Hampshire prior to the colonization of New England.  Peter OSGOOD of Nether Wallup was assessed there in 1522, and three of his descendants, John, Christopher and William OSGOOD, transplanted the name in America a few years after the establishment of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  The posterity of these immigrants is numerous and widely distributed.  Lemuel OSGOOD, who was the fifth generation in descent of John, settled in Cabot, Vermont, going there from Barre, Massachusetts, by way of Claremont, New Hampshire, and the OSGOOD'S of Manchester, New York, a sketch of whom follows, are undoubtedly of this branch of the family.

Elihu OSGOOD, a native of Barre, Vermont, went to Ontario county very early in the last century, and locating in the then newly settled town of Manchester, he found employment with Mr. PIERCE, one of the early proprietors.  A year after his arrival he purchased a farm, which he brought to a good state of fertility, and this property has ever since been known as the OSGOOD homestead.  He married Amy LaMUNION and had a family of 11 children.

Burrus OSGOOD, son of Elihu and Amy ( LaMUNION ) OSGOOD, was born in Manchester, June 27, 1818.  He owned a farm and obtained good results as a reward for his labor, using much of his leisure time for the benefit of his fellow-townsmen.  He served with marked ability in many positions of responsibility and trust, invariably discharging his duties in an upright and satisfactory manner, and owing to the implicit confidence inspired by his sterling integrity, he was frequently called upon to act as executor and trustee of estates, a business which absorbed much of his attention for more than fifty years.  Mr. OSGOOD died September 20, 1901.  He married (first) Maria Jane WEST, who died without issue, and in 1847 he married (second) Sarah PIERCE, daughter of Ezra and Eliza ( GURLEY ) PIERCE.  Children:  Carlos Pierce, see forward; Addie E., born January 6, 1859, married (first) Joseph CLARK; married (second) Frank SHORT

Carlos Pierce, son of Burrus and Sarah ( PIERCE ) OSGOOD, was born at the family homestead in Manchester, March 11, 1857.  His studies in the public schools were supplemented by a course at the Canandaigua Academy, and graduating from that institution, he taught school for some time.  At the age of 21, he went to Iowa, and jointly with W. H. WILSON, who had accompanied him thither, he assumed the management of a large tract of wild land owned by parties in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  He also engaged in farming on an extensive scale.  In the spring of 1883 he went to the then territory of Dakota, where he engaged extensively in the raising of wheat, and in company with others founded the town of Newark, located some 40

miles from the nearest post office.  In addition to his farming interests he conducted a profitable real estate, loan and mortgage business, and was the first justice of the peace elected in Marshall county.  In 1889 he returned to the homestead farm in Manchester, which he carried on for some three years, and for the succeeding ten years he acted as district agent for the Travelers' Insurance Company, covering five counties.  For the past eight years Mr. OSGOOD has been prominently identified with the independent telephone movement in western New York.  In 1902 he established a line in Manchester and Shortsville, with a toll line to Clifton Springs, connecting with the independent line in that locality, and encouraged by the success attending his first venture in this direction, in the following year he organized and incorporated the Red Jacket Telephone Company, turning over to that corporation his lines already established and becoming its president and general manager.  The Red Jacket company is now in the full tide of prosperity and its success is mainly due to the ability and sound judgment of its promoter.  He is a Master Mason and a member of Canandaigua Lodge No. 394.

Mr. OSGOOD was married January 22, 1889, to Miss Daisy D. ALLEN, born in West Waterville, Maine, June 10, 1868, daughter of Stephen ALLEN.  They have had two children:  1. Joseph Clark, born in January, 1890; died the same year.  2. Carlos Allen, born August 6, 1894; died September 13, 1895.

 

OTTLEY  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 327 - 328

OTTLEY, Samuel P., Seneca, was born on the old homestead, Seneca Castle.  He was educated in the schools of his day, and has been a good farmer.  May 15, 1847, he married Sarah M. WILLIAMS, of Seneca Castle, and they have had six children: Franklin, Charles, Edna Arvilla, Elsie L., Frederick S., Albert C., Nina M. who died in infancy.  Franklin married Mary E. SPANGLE, of Hopewell, and they have 8 children: George H., Sarah E., F. Maude, Elsie M., Samuel A., Charles F., Hattie B., and Edwin C.  Elsie L. married Joseph BRIZZEE, of the town of Hopewell, where they reside.  Frederick G. married Mary C. WILSON, of this town, and had one son, Albert W.  Mrs. OTTLEY is deceased.  Albert C. married Bertha L. VAN GELDER, of this town, and have had two children, Mildred and Marie.  Mr. OTTLEY's father, Thomas, was born in Yorkshire, England in 1788, and came with his parents and brother to the United States in 1805, locating in the woods in Seneca Castle when there were no crossroads or bridges.  He married Lucinda PORTER, of Seneca, and had 14 children: William, Deborah, Lucinda, Thomas, Joshua P., Samuel P., Jane P., Arvilla B., Edwin and a twin of his who died in infancy, Charles and Mary, and twins who died in infancy.  Mr. OTTLEY's father, Thomas, was member of assembly in year of 1831, also was superintendent of Ontario county 30 years, and was surveyor of land, administrator in settlement of estates, and wrote deeds, mortgages and other writings in sale and purchase of land; was in public office most of his life.  Mrs. OTTLEY's father, Valentine WILLIAMS, was born in the town of Pompey, Onondaga county, February 14, 1797, and married Elsie HEWITT, of Waterbury, Conn., January 1, 1818, and had four children: Mortimer, who died in infancy; Mortimer 2d, Sarah M. and Charles V.  Her father died January 20, 1867; her mother June 25, 1876.  Her brother Charles was a soldier in the Civil war and was in 15 general battles.

 

 

OTTLEY

History of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 396 

Thomas OTTLEY, immigrant ancestor, was born in Yorkshire, England, November 3, 1788, and came to this county in 1808, locating in Ontario county, New York, in what is now Seneca Castle.  He cleared a farm in the forest and followed farming there the remainder of his life.  When he came there were no bridges nor cross-roads and the settlers lived the lives of the pioneers.  He became a prominent citizen and in 1831 represented the county in the state assembly at Albany.  He was superintendent of Ontario county for thirty years and was much occupied in later years as a conveyancer and surveyor of land.  During most of his life was in public office.  He administered many estates and wrote wills, deeds and other legal documents.  He married Lucinda PORTER, of Seneca, New York.  Children, born at Seneca Castle: William, mentioned below; Deborah; Thomas; Lucinda and Lorinda, twins; Lucinda; Joshua P.; Samuel P.; Jane P.; Arvilla B.; Edwin and Edmund, twins; Charles; Mary Elizabeth. 

     ( II ) William, son of Thomas OTTLEY, was born in Seneca, New York, and followed farming in Seneca Castle, New York.  He married, December 17, 1835, Eliza GATES.  Children, born at Seneca Castle: Benjamin F., October 17, 1836; Allen P., March 28, 1838, married Calista MARSH; Eliza Ann, June 24, 1840, married Palmer RAY; Harriet E., October 30, 1842; Martha Jane, December 5, 1844, married Charles WILLIAMS; Thomas D., February 3, 1847, married Nellie FROMAN; Emma A., November 25, 1849, married Albert RIDLEY; George W., mentioned below; James M., March 22, 1854, married Anna HOLLIST. 

     ( III ) George W., son of William OTTLEY, was born at Phelps, New York, April 22, 1852, died May 9, 1910.  He received his early education in the public schools.  For many years he followed farming and afterward was a carpenter and builder in Phelps, New York.  For four years he was the truant officer of Phelps.  He was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church and one of the official board.  He was a member of the Maccabees.  In politics he was a Democrat.  He married Anna RIDLEY, born in Phelps, daughter of Thomas RIDLEY, of Phelps.  Children:  Alice Belle, born October 26, 1874, married Fred DINEHART; Clara, born October 26, 1876, died September 6, 1888  (buried at Melvin Hill Ceme); Elizabeth, born October 29, 1878, married William L. CASE; Emma E., born October 20, 1880; Louis C., born November 13, 1884; Ruth, born March 30, 1887, a teacher in the public schools at Hilton, New York; Clarence J., born October 28, 1889; G. Lynn, mentioned below. 

     ( IV ) G. Lynn, son of George W. OTTLEY, was born in Phelps, August 27, 1882, and was educated there in the public schools.  At the age of 18 he was employed in the milk business by J.W. DONNELLY, and afterward was clerk in a grocery store until 1909, when he bought the SNYDER farm in Phelps, and since then he has followed farming there.  For 8 years he was a member of the Redfield Hook and Ladder Company and is now a member of the Exempt Firemen's Society.  He is a member of the Maccabees and of Wideawake Grange, Patrons of Husbandry.  He married, February 10, 1904, Jennie M., daughter of David and Wilhelmina (ANDERSON) LE ROY, of Manchester.

 

OUTHOUSE 

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 129

OUTHOUSE, Horace D., Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua June 14, 1839.  His father, William, was born in Dutchess county, September 4, 1797, and came to Canandaigua when a young man, where he bought a farm of 196 acres north of Cheshire, where he died May 26, 1865, and his wife December 24, 1867.  He married at about 21,  Rebecca MATHER, daughter of a Quaker preacher of Dutchess county, and they had 11 children, 7 of whom survive: Catharine, Abbey, Jane, Adams, Orrin, Maria BROCKELBANK, H. D. OUTHOUSE of this county; William H., of Madison, Wis., and George H., of Grand Rapids, Mich.  The whole life of our subject has been spent in this town.  He was reared on the farm his father settled on, and educated in the common schools.  When 23 years of age he bought a farm of 101 acres in Canandaigua, which he sold three weeks later and bought his present farm.  In 1886 he erected on this farm a beautiful residence, its location commanding a fine view of the lake.  County history is not the place to describe works of art, but the house of Mr. OUTHOUSE is entitled to more than passing mention.  His barns and other outbuildings are on a par with his residence.  The farm contains 175 acres of fertile land, the principal products being grain and fruit.  He has five acres of vineyard, from a part of which he sold in 1892 eighteen tons of grapes.  He married in 1862 Sarah, daughter of Joseph HOUSEL, and they had five children: Mary, wife of Chauncey ROGERS, of Canandaigua; Charles; Frank B., William and Elmer J.  Mrs. OUTHOUSE died October 19, 1883, and he married in 1886 Isabelle McJANNETT, of Canandaigua, by whom he has one child, Burton A., born June 13, 1887.  Mr. OUTHOUSE is a member of Academy Grange No. 62.  

 

OUTHOUSE  

History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 327

OUTHOUSE, Orrin, Canandaigua, was born at Peekskill, on the Hudson, April 15, 1832.  The grandfather was one of the most extensive land owners of West Chester county, and had a large family.  William, his son, was born at Peekskill, September 4, 1798.  In 1834 he came to Ontario county, locating near Cheshire, where he lived but a year, then bought a farm of 186 acres on lot 28 in Canandaigua, where he died.  William OUTHOUSE was married in 1818 to Rebecca FIELDS of Peekskill, by whom he had 11n children, 8 of whom survive.  Orrin moved with his parents to Canandaigua, where he has always lived.  He assisted his father on the farm until 19 years of age, when he started in life for himself, and farmed in different places until 1863, when he bought a farm of 100 acres on lot thirty in Canandaigua.  After about two years there removed to the old homestead, where he lived until 1880, when he bought his present farm of 87 acres.  He married in 1865 Melvina DEBOW, daughter of Ansel and A. Melvina (STANLEY) DEBOW, and they have three children: Franc M., wife of Mark GOURLEY, a farmer of Farmington; Nellie J., wife of James STEELE, a farmer of East Bloomfield; and Clara A., wife of W. Charles DRYER, a farmer of Victor.  Mr. OUTHOUSE has never taken great interest in public affairs, devoting his time and energy to his farm.

 

 

OVERACRE

History of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 245-246

John W. OVERACRE, for many years postmaster of Manchester village, Ontario county, New York, is one of the veterans of the Civil War, whose record in that struggle must make every right thinking person proud of the bravery and patriotism displayed by the citizens of the Union during that memorable time. He is descended from a family whose interests were those of the state of New York for a number of generations, and who in the earlier days were mainly engaged in agriculture.

John OVERACRE, his father, was born in Herkimer county, New York and was by occupation a millwright, in which he was enterprising and successful. He removed to Clifton Springs, Ontario county, New York, in 1842, and to Manchester village, in the same county in 1846, and there spent the remainder of his life. He married Emily BLANCHARD and had children: John W., see forward; Franklin, Emily and Elizabeth.

John W., son of John and Emily (BLANCHARD) OVERACRE, was born in the town of Warren, Herkimer, county, New York, July 25, 1835. He removed with his parents to the town of Sterling, New York in 1838, and to Clifton Springs in 1842, in which place he attended the public schools for a few years, and supplemented this after leaving school by devoting every moment he could spare from his more active duties to the study of the best books that he could obtain. In this way he acquired an education of which any might be proud, and he may say with truth that for the greater part of the time he was his own tutor. In 1846 the family removed to Manchester village, where he worked on a farm until 1850, but thinking there were but small prospects for advancement for him in this line of industry, he became apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed until shortly after the outbreak of the Civil War.   In 1862 he enlisted in the 8th Company, 126th New York Volunteers, was advanced to the rank of fourth sergeant in this company and detailed for duty as a hospital steward, a position he filled until the battle of Gettysburg. He was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry, in September, 1862 and exchanged in November of that year, but illness overcoming him, he was sent to a hospital in Chicago, Illinois, but as soon as he was able to leave the hospital, he reported to his regiment, in March, at Centerville, Virginia, and was detailed for duty as regimental steward. At the battle of Gettysburg, Mr. OVERACRE was taken sick with typhoid fever, was sent to Baltimore Hospital, and upon his recovery, joined the regular army as hospital steward, serving until January 1866, when he was honorably discharged from the volunteer service. Upon his return from the army he entered the employ of the Empire Drill Company, at Shortsville, Ontario county, New York, with which he was connected for a period of 28 years, being pattern maker for the company for fifteen of theses years. He removed to Manchester village, where he is at present living, and was appointed postmaster in 1894, an office he has filled so capably that he is still holding it. He has frequently received commendation for the model manner in which the details of his office are carried out, and his executive ability is of an unusually high order. He is a member of Herendeen Post, No. 107, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which institution he has served as steward.

Mr. OVERACRE married in Baltimore, Maryland, December 31, 1867, Juliet S., who died in June 1906, a daughter of Jacob DAY. Children: Mattie S., married A.W. HAWKS; Charles B., married Pearl GAFFNEY and they have one child, Gordon W.; Elizabeth, married Eugene DE VALL, two children.

 

Html by Dianne Thomas  

These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced

 in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

Copyright 2002 - 2014

       [NY History and Genealogy]