Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.
If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.
Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas. Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 173
The late John J. SNYDER, Victor, was born in Hallsville, Montgomery county, September 24, 1850. He was educated in the common schools and Fort Plain Academy and in early life was a farmer. September 1, 1874, he married Libbie, daughter of George W. and Catherine (WAGNER) JOHNSON, formerly of Cooperstown, Otsego county. They came to Victor March 15, 1877. Mr. SNYDER was in the coal and lumber business with T. M. NORTON and died April 9, 1889, as the result of an accidental injury received in their lumberyard. Mrs. SNYDER'S father, George W. JOHNSON, was born in Cooperstown, Otsego county, and was a miller by occupation. In 1849 he married Catherine WAGNER of Fort Plain, Montgomery county. They had two children: Minerva R. (now Mrs. Theodore M. NORTON) and Libbie. The ancestry of the family is English and German. Mrs. SNYDER is a member of the Universalist church.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 180
SNYDER, William H., Gorham, was born in Gorham, July 31, 1820, a son of John, who was a son of George, a native of Germany, who early settled in New Jersey and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He died in Gorham. John SNYDER was born near New Brunswick, NJ, August 4, 1777, and married Catharine CORTLEYOU, a native of New Jersey, born September 28, 1784, and they had two sons and eight daughters. In 1807 Mr. SNYDER came to Gorham and became an extensive land owner. His wife died in 1827, and he married second Mary VAN NORSDALL, by whom he had two sons and a daughter. July 5, 1857, he married third Rachael F. PARSONS, and he died in 1863. William H. SNYDER was educated in the district school and followed farming until 1886, since which time he has lived retired from active life in Gorham. He owns over 400 acres of land, and for the last 32 years has been a Democrat. In 1845 he married Phoebe, daughter of William and Mary HANKINSON, natives of New Jersey, who came to Gorham in 1830, and had two sons and three daughters. The children of William H. and wife are as follows: Willard J., Myron H., and Oliver F., all farmers of Gorham.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 383 - 384
postmaster of Victor, Ontario county, New York, and prominently identified with
the commercial interests of the county, is the son of Martin
V. B. SNYDER, a native of Victor, who was engaged in farming for many
years, and is now living in retirement in the village in the town in which he
was born. He married Hattie
WARREN, and had nine children, all of whom are living at the present
time: Hattie M., Charles H., Marion J., Homer Eugene
(see forward), Lena A., Lillian J., Josiah E., Cora V.
and Ira M.
Eugene SNYDER was
born in Victor, Ontario county, New York, July 22, 1872. He attended the district school of Victor and the Rochester
Business University. His first step
in his business career was as a commercial traveler, continuing in this line for
a period of ten years, the greater number of which were spent in the employ of
the Empire Drill Company. He was in
full charge of the exhibit of this company at the Pan-American Exhibition in
1901. For some time he prospected
in the province of Ontario, Canada, with the view of opening a branch of the
Empire Drill Company. He was in
charge of the agricultural store of Weaver, Palmer & Richmond, in Rochester,
New York, holding office of manager 1905-06, which position he resigned January
5, 1907, to accept the position of postmaster of his hometown, to which he has
been appointed by the President, entering upon the active discharge of his
duties the same day (Jan. 5th), and has been in office continuously
since that time. His political
affiliations have always been with the republican party, and he served as
secretary of the county committee for many years. He has also served as chief of the Victor Fire Department,
and as fire marshal of the village and on the board of health.
Mr. SNYDER was one of the organizers of
the Locke Insulator Manufacturing Company, of which he is one of the
stockholders; he also took an active interest in the establishing of the Victor
Preserving Company. He has been a
leading factor in introducing many improvements in Victor, and it was through
his continuous efforts that Victor has one of the up to date electric lighting
systems, and also one of the best fire departments.
He is connected with the following organizations: Milnor Lodge, No. 138, Free and Accepted Masons of Victor; Victor Tent, No. 426, Knights of the Maccabees; Rochester Lodge, No. 24, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; ; Lalla Rooke Grotto, NO. 3. ; M.O.V.P.E.R. of Rochester; the National Association of Postmasters; the New York State Association of Postmasters; Empire State Implement Mens Club and Red Jacket Club of Canandaigua. Mr. SNYDER is unmarried.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 347 - 348
Jerome P. SOUTHERLAND, Gorham, a native of Potter, Yates county, was born July 10, 1831. His father, James, a son of David, was born in Potter and married Theda PROUTY, by whom he had 8 children. He died in 1836. Jerome P. was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1855 he married Sarah C. CLARK of Seneca, a daughter of Samuel B. CLARK, whose father, David, was a native of London, England, and in an early day came to Seneca. The wife of Samuel B. CLARK was Margaret ROBSON, a native of Seneca. Subject and wife have had three children: Ora and Frank (deceased) and Frank C. Mr. SOUTHERLAND came to Gorham in 1868 and purchased 80 acres of land, which he has increased to 130. He is a Democrat in politics. Frank C. SOUTHERLAND was born in Gorham, February 10, 1872, and educated in Canandaigua Academy. He is a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Good Templars Lodge.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 167
Dr. Samuel SOUTHWORTH, Geneva, was a native of Vermont, but came as a young medical practitioner to New York, living a time at Angelica and Dansville and located permanently at Geneva about 1825. He was twice married, his first wife being Margaret VAN CAMPEN, by whom he had two children. His 2nd wife being Clarissa, widow of Joel RICE. The children of the 2nd marriage were: Samuel Jr. and Martha SOUTHWORTH. Samuel Jr., the subject of this sketch, was born October 11, 1828. He early became a clerk in a store but at the age of 16 years, went to sea on a sperm whaling voyage and on his return, worked for 6 years in the Geneva post office. In 1865 he became clerk in the Bank of Geneva, and thereafter advanced to the position of teller and later to cashier, holding the latter until 1868, when he resigned and engaged in private banking, and the management of an extensive insurance business of which he then became proprietor and both of which he has ever since conducted successfully. In 1851, Mr. SOUTHWORTH married Ansley Louisa EVANS, by whom he has had two children. In politics, Mr. SOUTHWORTH is a Democrat and has held the office of supervisor and president of the village.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 257 - 259
There are some men who take possession of the public
heart and hold it after they have passed away, not by flashes of
genius or brilliant services, but by kindness and the force of
personal character, and by steady and persistent good conduct in all
the situations and under all the trials of life.
They are in sympathy with all that is pure and useful and
good in the community in which they reside, and the community on its
part cheerfully responds by extending to them respectful admiration
and sincere affection. Such
a man was Samuel SOUTHWORTH.
In many respects he was a model as a business man, not alone
for the rectitude of his methods, and the truth and honor which
formed the foundation of all his dealings, but because of the keen
insight he possessed into all matters of business even remotely
connected with his enterprises.
Samuel SOUTHWORTH was
the son of Dr. Samuel SOUTHWORTH, a
physician of note in his day, who was a native of Vermont and
located in Geneva, Ontario county, New York, in the year 1825.
Samuel Jr. was born in that town, October 11, 1828, and died
there October 28, 1909.
His early days were spent like those of the majority
of boys in a semi-rural section, in attending the district school
and the academical and high schools.
He was of tender age when he commenced his business career,
his first position being as a general helper in a store.
At the age of sixteen years he started out on a sperm-whaling
expedition, and this was extended over a period of three years.
Upon his return to Geneva he secured a position as clerk in
the post office, which was then located on the site of the present
Nestor Hotel. His
appointment was made under Postmaster Barilla
SLOSSOM, and he held the position six years, which took him
into the administration of S. H. PARKER.
By this time he commenced to tire of the confinement of
indoor labor and resigning in 1853, he succeeded S.
B. DUTCHER as agent at Stanley, of the Canandaigua-Elmira
railroad, which was largely patronized at that time.
In the spring of 1855 Mr. SOUTHWORTH returned
to Geneva to assume the duties of clerk in the Bank of Geneva, which
was the predecessor of the Geneva National Bank.
William E. SILL was president of
the bank at the time, and W. T. SCOTT
cashier. The office was
located at the head of Seneca street in a building to the north of
the residence of Mr. SOUTHWORTH.
His faithful attention to the details of his work and the
precision with which he carried out the minutest details of the
manifold duties entrusted to his care, had the inevitable result of
raising him from one position to another until as cashier he served
successively under Presidents William T. SCOTT
and S. H. VER PLANK, and when the bank was reorganized under
the new national banking laws, and became known as the Geneva
National Bank in 1865. Mr. SOUTHWORTH was retained in
his old position. He
continued to hold this until his resignation in July, 1868, when he
decided to engage in the insurance, real estate and pension business
in association with Colonel John S. PLANTER.
Upon the death of Colonel PLANTER
the following December, Mr. SOUTHWORTH became
the sole proprietor and manager of the business thus organized, and
shortly afterward added banking to its other features.
At first the work of securing pensions was the most important
item of the business, but this gradually gave place to the banking
interests. The real
estate and insurance enterprises remained fixtures of the concern
throughout the connection of Mr. SOUTHWORTH with
this business. In 1906
he admitted as a partner in the insurance branch of the business, John
W. MELLEN, who had previously been a clerk in the office, and
this left Mr. SOUTHWORTH with more time
to attend to the other interests.
In addition to these numerous demands upon the time Mr.
SOUTHWORTH had nevertheless paid considerable attention and
taken an active interest in public affairs.
Although unassuming and modest in his disposition, he took a
lively interest in all matters that pertained to the welfare of the
community in which he resided, and was ever ready to bear his due
share of any burden which had to be borne.
His political allegiance was given to the Democratic party,
and he was elected to the office of supervisor of the town of Seneca
prior to its separation from the town of Geneva.
When the charter of the village of Geneva was amended making
the presidency of the village an elective office, Mr.
SOUTHWORTH was the first man to be elected to fill the
office, and served from April, 1871, until April, 1873.
It was during his administration, October 11, 1872, that the
town of Geneva was set off from that of Seneca.
He was appointed a member of the cemetery commission in 1879,
and February 1 of that year he was elected treasurer of the
commission to succeed Z. T. CASE, and
he held this office until his death.
As a member of the board of education he served from 1888 to
1890. During the
greater part of his life Mr. SOUTHWORTH
was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church, and an active
member of Trinity Parish. For
many years he served as vestryman and treasurer of the parish, and
upon the death of James P. MELLEN, in
1905, became junior warden of the church.
He was a member of Ark Lodge, No. 33, Free and Accepted
Masons, for more than fifty years, being initiated in 1854, and was
not only the oldest mason of the local lodge, but one of the oldest
in the state of New York.
Mr. SOUTHWORTH was married in 1851 to Ansley Louise EVANS, who died in 1899, and they had two children, also deceased. At the time of his death he was living with his adopted daughter, Lillian W. C. SOUTHWORTH, at their home at No. 346 Main street.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 165
Willet M. SPANGLE, Canandaigua, was born in Seneca, November 18, 1850, a son of Zachariah, a jeweler of Canandaigua. Until 15 years of age, he made his home with his parents in Seneca Castle, who kept a hotel there at the time of his birth, ad on their removal here, he entered Canandaigua Academy. After leaving school he acted as clerk with E. WENEBECK, with whom he remained for 12 years. In 1882 he formed a co-partnership with F. W. KINDE in the clothing and merchant tailoring business. Mr. SPANGLE is one of the leading merchants of the town, and carries a large stock of ready made clothing, men's furnishing goods, trunks, bags, etc. His store is located at 206 Main street and occupies two floors. He married in 1875, Anna A. GODFREY of Geneva. In 1889, MR. SPANGLE was elected member of the village council and in 1890 became president of the village. He is a member of Canandaigua Lodge, No. 236 IOOF, in which he as been Noble Grand a number of times.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 168 - 169
Zachariah SPANGLE, Canandaigua, was born in Hopewell, December 30 ,1820, a son of John and grandson of Zachariah. The family is of German descent. Three brothers, John, Jacob and Zachariah SPANGLE, lived near Selin's Grove and Zachariah moved into Seneca county about 1805, where he remained but one year, when he came to Hopewell, one of the earliest settlers there. He had 4 sons and 2 daughters, the sons being: George, Jacob, John and Simon. John, the father of the subject, was born in 1798 and from the time his parents moved into Hopewell, he always made that town his home. He married in 1818, Catherine, daughter of John PRICE, who was even an earlier settler than Mr. SPANGLE, and they had 6 children, 4 of whom survive: Zachariah, Philip, and Simon of Hopewell and Mary E. FISHER of Canandaigua. The early life of our subject was spent in the town of Hopewell and Seneca, where he followed farming. In 1862 he engaged as a commercial traveler and followed this until 1884. In 1866 he moved into Canandaigua and when he left the road in 1884, he, with his son Edward, established the jewelry and repairing store they are now conducting. Zachariah SPANGLE married in 1843, Lavina HIPOLITE, by whom he had 3 children: Wilson J., Marion Willett and Isabelle, wife of Daniel ROSWELL. Mrs. SPANGLE died in 1855, and he married 2nd, Amanda DUYGAN and they had 2 children, Edward and Clara C., wife of Stanley WORTH. Mrs. SPANGLE died in 1865, and he married 3rd, his present wife, Myra DIBBLE.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 351
Simon SPANGLE, Hopewell was born in Hopewell, June 29, 1833. His life occupation has been farming. October 14, 1856, he married Harriet, daughter of Christopher FISHER, an early settler of Seneca. His wife was Mary HAMMOND, by whom he had three sons and three daughters. He was a captain in the State militia and died in 1884, and his wife in 1889. Mertie, an adopted daughter of Simon SPANGLE and wife of Charles GARDNER of Hopewell, died in March 1885. In politics, Mr. SPANGLE has always been a Democrat, but has never aspired to public office. He and his wife are members of the M. E. church at Hopewell Centre. Philip, a twin brother of Simon, now owns the homestead. He was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools. October 14, 1856, he married Mary E., daughter of Thomas and Lucinda (PORTER) OTTLEY, who had 14 children. Mr. OTTLEY was a native of England and when 18 years of age, came to America, where he was a surveyor. He was supervisor of Hopewell a number of years and also justice of the peace. He was superintendent of county poor for 25 years, and was at one time a member of the assembly. He died in 1856 (July 10, 1857, age 69y) and his wife in 1853.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 60
who presided at the term of court in the first Ontario county court
house at which it was sought to indict Jemima
WILKINSON for blasphemy, was born at Salisbury, Conn.,
December 13, 1765. Graduated
from Harvard College in 1783; represented Columbia county in the
State Assembly of 1794; was a member of the State Senate form 1796
to 1802; member of Council of Appointment, 1797; Attorney General,
1802-1804; Justice of the Supreme Court, 1819-1823; Representative
in Congress, 1829-1831; Mayor of Albany one term; member of
Constitutional Convention, 1821; chairman of National Whig
Convention at Baltimore, 184. Died
at Lyons, March 13, 1848.
SPENCER was the father of John C.
SPENCER, Secretary of the Treasury under President Tyler.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 73
John Canfield SPENCER, one of the most distinguished figures in the history of early Ontario county, was born at Hudson, NY in 1788. He took up his residence in Canandaigua following his admission to the bar and continued a resident here for thirty-six years. When only 19, became private secretary to Governor TOMPKINS; was appointed Master in Chancery in 1811; was Brigade Judge Advocate on the frontier in 1812; was appointed Postmaster at Canandaigua in 1814; became Assistant Attorney General in 1815, and in 1816 was elected to Congress from the 21st district. , of which Ontario county was a part. In 1821 he entered the State Assembly and became Speaker of that body; was State Senator, 1824-1828; was appointed by Governor VAN BUREN in 1826 Special Attorney General in the prosecution of those implicated in the Morgan abduction; was again elected to the Assembly in 1830, and in 1839 was appointed Secretary of State by Governor SEWARD, serving also as State Superintendent of Schools; two years later was appointed a Regent of the State University. In October, 1841, was appointed Secretary of War by President TYLER, and in March 1843, was transferred to the office of Secretary of Treasury, but resigned the position the following year because of opposition to the annexation of Texas. Died at Albany, May 18, 1855.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911,
Vol II, pg. 428 - 430
The late John SPENGLER,
of Geneva, New York, came from Switzerland, but the name is
indicative of a German origin.
In the battle for education and professional supremacy his
son Dr. John Arthur SPENGLER has won a
decided victory, and he is recognized as one of the leading
exponents of the science of optics.
( I ) John SPENGLER, born in
Switzerland, 1832, emigrated to the United States when a young man
and subsequently became a shoe merchant in Geneva, New York.
He died at Reading, Pennsylvania, December 20, 1907.
He married in Rochester, New York, December 3, 1866, Elizabeth
Von HUBEN, also a native of Switzerland, born in 1842.
John Arthur, mentioned below.
Jennie Elizabeth, a resident of Geneva.
3. Rose E., born February 13,
1870, died June 1875.
Frederick Albert, born June 17, 1872,
died January, 1902; married, December 13, 1899, Lida
COLEMAN, no children. 5.
Dr. Frank BENJAMIN, a prominent
physician of Baldwinsville, Onondaga Co., New York.
6. Mary Louise, born June 2,
1876, died September 22, 1900; married Vernon
S. STONE, of Rochester; child, Marian
George Walter, born June 1, 1879, died
in August 1891.
( II ) John Arthur SPENGLER, M.
D., son of John and Elizabeth (VON HUBEN)
SPENGLER, was born in Geneva, March 10, 1868.
His preparatory studies were pursued at the Geneva high
school, from which he entered Hobart College and was graduated in
1893. He subsequently studied at Cornell University, taking the
degree of Bachelor of Science in 1895; he attended medical lectures
at the University of Buffalo, graduating a Doctor of Medicine in
1899. He also received from Hobart College the degree of M. L. in
1897, and that of D. C. L. was conferred upon him by the University
of Nashville (Tennessee), in 1899.
thus fully equipped as a physician and specialist in ophthalmology, Dr.
SPENGLER began the practice of medicine at Geneva in 1899,
making a specialty of ophthalmology, and the encouragement he has
received during the past twelve years from a large and constantly
increasing practice is not only sufficient to warrant his
expectation of remaining there for life, but is eminently conclusive
of his professional success. Having
attained a position of high rank in his special field of science,
his practice necessarily covers a wide expanse of territory,
extending from New York City to Pennsylvania, and the larger part of
it comes from out of town. His
office furnishings and laboratory equipments are unsurpassed in any
similar establishment in the state, and in the grinding and
finishing of his lenses he uses the finest instruments and
appliances obtainable. He
and his brother Fred, were the founders
and incorporators of the Spengler Optical Company, at Geneva, New
York, which was incorporated in 1901, our subject being the
president and treasurer; they manufacture various kinds of optical
goods and novelties.
leading member of the Geneva Medical Society and has served as its
secretary for seven years. He
is well advanced in the Masonic Order, being a member of Ark Lodge,
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Geneva Chapter, Royal Arch Masons;
Geneva Commandery, Knights Templar, of which latter he is past
treasurer; Grotto Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and the New
York Consistory, thirty-second degree.
He is ex-president of the Delta Sigma fraternity and has held
all of the other offices in that body; is fleet surgeon of the
Geneva Yacht Club; a member of the University Club of Geneva, and is
secretary of the board of trustees of the Endymion Military Academy,
located at Maple Hill, Geneva.
In addition to the above-mentioned organizations he is
actively identified with religious work, being a trustee and
recording steward of the Methodist Episcopal church; has served as
soloist of the choir for the past twenty years; teaches a Bible
class in the Sunday school; and is chairman of the building
committee having charge of the erection of a new church edifice
which will be in process of construction in the spring of 1911, at a
cost of $6,000.
He is also active in the Young Men's Christian Association.
Dr. SPENGLER married, June 17, 1907, Edna MacVICAR, born in Clyde, New York, June 20, 1874. She is of Scotch descent and a daughter of John D. MacVICAR, a veteran of the Civil war and at the present time connected with the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester, New York. Dr. SPENGLER has one daughter, Mabel Cecilia, born November 24, 1909. After the death of his sister, Mrs. Vernon S. STONE, he assumed the care of his niece, Marian Elizabeth, and is rearing and educating her as his child.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 58 �
well known in agricultural circles in Ontario county, NY, who has
successfully followed in the footsteps of his ancestors as a tiller
of the soil, and who has added to their methods of cultivation the
newer ideas which he has found practical, as they arose, it as
descendant of one of the ancient families of England, and in a
direct line of descent from Thomas SQUIRE,
of Worcestershire, England, who came to this country in 1630 with
Governor WINTHROP and settled at
Charlestown, form whence his descendants have spread to various
places. Some are to be
found in Vermont, Long Island, New Jersey, New York and in various
other parts of the United States.
John SQUIRE, another ancestor, was equerry to Queen
great grandfather of Jesse C. SQUIRE,
was a resident of Cannan, Connecticut, whence he migrated in 1792 to
the state of New York, settling in Ontario county.
There he purchased a farm for his son, Adin,
in the vicinity of No. 9 Presbyterian Church, in Seneca.
He served with bravery during the war of the
holding the rank of an officer.
son of Jesse SQUIRE, came to Ontario
county with his father in 1792 and lived and died on the farm which
had been purchased for him.
of Adin SQUIRE, was born on the
homestead farm in 1803, and from his early youth was well trained in
the proper management and cultivation of a farm, which later passed
into his possession. He
took an active interest in the public affairs of the community in
which he lived, and was a devoted member of the Methodist church.
His death occurred February 9, 1892.
His children were: William A., J.
Fletcher, Mary J., Milton M., Jesse
C., and Eugene A.
of Jesse (2) SQUIRE, was born August
28, 1841. Like his
forefathers, he has devoted himself to the pursuit of agriculture,
finding this the occupation for which he was best fitted by nature
and inclination. He and
his only surviving brother, Eugene A., shared
between them the landed estate left by their father. This consists of 300 acres of land, in a fine state of
cultivation, and has been divided into two sections, known under the
names of the Maple Hurst (Woods) and the Valley Farm.
Mr. SQUIRE is thoroughly
conversant with all the improved methods of farming, applies
scientific means wherever practicable, and in this manner contrives
to have his soil put forth very satisfactory results.
He is an up-to-date farmer in every respect and takes a
lively interest in all matters which concern the welfare or
advancement o the community in which he resides.
He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry and is a
republican in politics.
married Mary E. TUTTLE, daughter of Joseph
and Casandara (HAYES) TUTTLE.
One child, Wallace C., who
married Clara CROZIER, has one
child, Christine. The family are members of No. 9 Presbyterian church.
History of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 58
Alanson STACY, the first member of his family of whom we have definite information, was the son of Elisha STACY. He was born in Massachusetts, in 1812, and died in Avon, New York in 1863. He was one of the first men to won a passenger boat on the Erie canal. Later he engaged in farming, and was one of Port Gibson's representative men, serving as poor master for a number of years. At one time he owned two large farms; these he sold and went to Avon. He married Emeline SMITH, who was born in Vermont, died in 1863. Children: John; Erastus; Edwin; Theodore F., died July 12, 1863 of wounds received at the battle of Gettysburg; Alanson; Isadore; Elizabeth; Samuel T., referred to below.
Samuel T., son of Alanson and Emeline (SMITH) STACY, was born near Troy, New York, July 27, 1838. When a small boy, he came with his parents to Port Gibson, New York. He was educated in the public schools, and at the age of twelve years began driving on the Erie canal, and this he continued for seven summers. Afterward he owned several boats himself and ran a steamboat on the canal. In 1872 he went to Buffalo, where he worked in a commission house, but returned to Port Gibson in 1875. He sold his boat and bought a farm, but in 1880 bought a boat and followed boating until 1895. Once more he sold his boat. He then started in the grocery business at Port Gibson. Whit his son, he does a large business under the firm name of S.T. STACY & Son. Mr. STACY was postmaster for two years and school trustee for two years. In 1860 he became a member of the Masonic lodge.
He married in 1860, Rachel Ellen, daughter of Hiram HOPS. Children: John, born March 6,1865; Edwin, March 12, 1867, who is in the grocery business with his father; Frank, July 1870.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 340 - 341
Milton J. STAFFORD, Victor, ws born in Victor, August 10, 1830. He was educated in the common schools and until the year 1874, followed farming as an occupation since that date. He has been an extensive dealer in wool and also a cattle broker. May 16, 1861, he married Catharine A., oldest daughter of David and Sophia CLARK, of his native town, and they have had three children, two sons and a daughter: George, who died in infancy; Jennie, who resides with her aunt, Mrs. SIMONDS; and Willie J., who is engaged with Frank PIMM, under the firm name of Pimm & Stafford. Mrs. STAFFORD died April 10, 1889. Mr. STAFFORD'S father, Samuel, was born December 31, 1783, He married Nancy FERGUSON, of his native town, and they have had 10 children, four sons and six daughters: Betsey, Amos, Sally, Rachel, Emily, Polly, Samuel, Nancy, George W. and Milton J. The family came to this county in 1826, and the 3 younger children were born in Victor. Mr. STAFFORD is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139 F & AM and has been its master, twice. He is also a member of Excelsior Chapter No. 169, RAM. In politics he is a republican, and has been highway commissioner on seven different occasions. The family is of English and Scotch descent.
STACEY, Edwin, Manchester, was born in East Palmyra, December 28, 1822. In 1856 he bought the farm at Halliday's Corners, from Judson HOES, and has since conducted it most successfully. Mr. STACEY has been twice married. His first wife was Caroline LUCE, and some time after her death he married Martha Jane HILLMAN. He has one child, being issue of his second wife. Mr. STACEY has served repeatedly as inspector of elections, school trustee, etc., and is much beloved and respected by all. His ancestors originally were from the New England States. They participated in the Revolutionary war, and also that the War of 1812.
STANDISH, George Thomas, South Bristol, is the second son of Jonathan B., who was born in Vermont in 1810, and came with his parents when two years of age to South Bristol. In 1829 he married Polly HOAGE, and they had 8 children, five sons and three daughters. He lived in South Bristol till 1865, then removed to Michigan, and in 1889 moved to West River, Yates county, where he died in 1890, his wife having died two months previous. Five children survived them. George Thomas was born in South Bristol, June 24, 1833, and was educated at the common schools, with the exception of two terms at the Lima Academy. Mr. STANDISH followed boating on Canandaigua Lake for 24 years, and for 20 years was contractor for ties for the N. Y. C. R. R. Co. He is now engaged in overseeing his farm in South Bristol. In 1868 he married C. Adelaide CARPENTER, daughter of Robert O. CARPENTER of Naples, and they have three children: Dora A., Edna A., and George Q., all attending school, the former at the Normal School at Brockport, and Edna A., at the Union School at Canandaigua. Mr. STANDISH has been supervisor of South Bristol three terms, and has filled several offices in the town.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub. 1878, pg. 62b
Seth STANLEY, son of Lucius STANLEY, was born in the town of Seneca in the year 1831. He remained with his father until thirteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the printing business, in the office of the Geneva Courier, then published by Ira MERRILL. He remained there three years, and then entered the office of the Syracuse Daily Journal, where he continued some time, and then worked in the office of the Seneca County Courier, and from thence went to Mayville, where he stayed but a short time, and went into the office of the Buffalo Express. He also at different times worked in the offices of the Geneva Gazette. At the age of twenty-one years he left the vocation of the printer and entered the employ of the Canandaigua and Elmira Railway Company, and soon after met with a severe accident while coupling cars, from the effects of which he never recovered. About five years afterwards he entered the employ of George F. MARSHALL, of Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained but a short time, and returned to his native county. He served as town collector three terms, though the town was largely republican. Twice he had held the office of supervisor of Seneca. The popularity of Mr. STANLEY was clearly exhibited in 1875, when he was elected to the Legislature by a majority of three hundred and ninety-two. His opponent, Volney EDGERTON, of Hopewell, was a very popular man, and one of the influential men of the district. Mr. STANLEY received a very flattering vote in his own town, which gave him 71 more votes than Mr. EDGERTON, while the republican State ticket received a majority of 54. He was actively engaged in the coal and lumber business during the last twelve years of his life. September 17, 1861, he married Margaret A. NICHOL, of Alabama, Genesee county, New York, who died Christmas day, 1870, leaving two children, Bell Boyd, now eleven years of age, and George N., ten years. He was again married in the fall of 1874, to Julia MULLIGAN of Parma, Monroe county. Mr. STANLEY took an active interest in all public affairs, and was one of the prominent and estimable citizens of the county. A gentleman speaking of Mr. S. at Albany, says, "In the House he was quietly attentive to his duties, and made a good record as a minority member." He died August 25, 1876.
History of Ontario County, NY, published 1878, pg. 237
Luther STANLEY was born in Vermont, February 8, 1782. He came to this country in 1805 and after remaining a short time, returned to his native State and married Lydia BENNETT, who was born in Vermont, July 12, 1788. They had eight children, viz: Hiram, Daniel S., John, Lucinda, Elmira, Eunice, Marietta, and Mary. All are living except John, who died in 1836. Mrs. STANLEY died in 1852. Mr. STANLEY came to this country with only $500, but by industry, perseverance, and an indomitable will, succeeded in acquiring five hundred acres of valuable land. He was an esteemed citizen, and his memory is cherished by numerous friends and relatives.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 352 - 353
Charles W. STARK, Gorham, was born in Canandaigua, August 25, 1837, a son of Jedediah, a son of John, a native of Connecticut. Jedediah was born in Salisbury, Conn., September 15, 1808. In early life he moved with his mother to Canandaigua, where he kept a hotel and lumber yard. September 4, 1838, he married Annie FOWLER, born April 21, 1897 at Gorham, on the farm now occupied by Charles W. STARK.
Her father, Reuben W. FOWLER, was born August 2, 1778, in Connecticut and died September 17, 1856. Reuben married Cecil SAWYER, February 24, 1806, She was born May 25, 1782. They had three sons and one daughter. His wife (Cecil) died at the age of 75 years (in 1881).
Jedediah STARK had 7 sons and 3 daughters. He died September 1, 1889, and his wife (Annie) in September 1881.
Charles W. STARK ws educated in the common schools and graded schools of Penn Yan. August 30, 1862, he enlisted in Co. F., 148th NY Vols., and served until March 16,1865, when he was wounded and taken to the hospital at Fort Darling, remaining until his recovery, when he was honorably discharged. From April 15 to May 16, he was in skirmishes and battles before Petersburg. Mr. STARK had been twice married, first in 1865 to Frances SAWYER, a native of Middlesex, who died in 1869. He married second, Mary WELFARE, December 31, 1874. She was born in England in 1850, a daughter of Thomas and Rebecca WELFARE, who came to Philadelphia in 1854, and afterwards to Hopewell where they now reside. They have four children. The children are: Edward B., Charles L., Celia M., Nellie E., Lansford B., Mabel L., Thomas W., Oscar S. Mr. STARK is a republican and a member of Scott Post GAR No. 319, at Rushville. He has been in the mercantile business at Rushville and Rochester and has also kept hotel at Canandaigua. He is now a farmer in Gorham. (1880 census shows children Bertram, Leroy and Celia; could be Edward B. is Edward Bertram, and Charles L. is this Leroy (1900 census - Mary birthed 8/7 living) (not on 1920 census)
of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg.
55 - 56
James H. STEBBINS,
who was engaged in medical practice for about half a century, was
born in Greece, Monroe county, New York in 1834 and died in Geneva,
Ontario county, NY in 1908. He
was graduated from the Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio and the
greater number of his active years of practice were spent in Geneva,
where he was one of the most prominent physicians.
Francis Lansing STEBBINS,
son of Dr. James H. STEBBINS, was
born at Geneva, Ontario county, NY in 1866.
His elementary education was acquired in the public schools
and he then became a student at Hobart College, from which he was
graduated in 1888 with the degree of Bachelor of Science.
He next matriculated at New York University, the Medical
Department of which institution conferred upon him the degree of
Doctor of Medicine in 1891. The
two years following his graduation were then spent in actual
practice in the Rochester City Hospital, NY, and in 1894 he went to
Geneva, NY, where he established himself in practice.
In this, he has been constantly engaged until the present
time. In addition to
his private practice, Dr. STEBBINS
is visiting physician of the Geneva City Hospital.
He takes a considerable amount of interest in public matters,
giving his political allegiance to the Republican party, but has
never aspired to public office, holding that it is his first and
foremost duty to attend to the needs of the suffering.
He is a Mason, a member of the Sigma Phi fraternity and of
the Kanadasga Club. His
professional affiliations are with the Ontario Medical Society, the
New York State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
married in 1898, Elise E. PICOT,
a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Child: Francis Lansing Jr.,
born September 1904.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 164
Henry M. STEELE, East Bloomfield, a native of East Bloomfield, was born February 7, 1835. His father, Nathaniel, was a son of Joel STEELE, a native of Connecticut, who came to East Bloomfield about 1789, and bought a large tract of land. Joel built a saw mill and carried on an extensive lumber trade here and in Northern Michigan. He also controlled a bank in Montreal. Nathaniel was born in East Bloomfield in 1800 and married Clara GUNN, born March 30, 1808, a daughter of Linus GUNN, a native of Berkshire, Mass., born in 1780, who came to East Bloomfield and there married Esther BRONSON, born January 7, 1783, by whom he had 3 sons and 1 daughter. He (Linus) died June 2, 1848 and his wife, March 28, 1876, at the age of 93 years. Nathaniel STEELE had 3 sons: Henry M., Linus G. and Charles E., of whom the subject is the only one living. Mr. STEELE was a contractor at the building of the Erie canal and later became a farmer. He died in 1865 and his wife in 1888. Henry M. was reared on the farm he now owns and educated in East Bloomfield Academy, Rochester University and graduated from Gregory's Business College of Detroit in 1855. He was a foreman in the steam saw mill at St. Clair, Mich., for 3 years, and then returned to New York and since followed general farming, owning 125 acres. December 22, 1874, he married Frances E. HOWARD, a native of Rochester, a daughter of John and Emily (HUBBELL) HOWARD, of Hull, England and Canajoharie, respectively, who had 3 daughters and a son. The latter died in Arizona. Mr. HOWARD was a boot and shoe dealer and came from England while a young man. He died in 1871 and his wife resided in Canandaigua. the children of Henry M. and wife are: Cora H., Clara G., Emily H., and Agnes H. Mr. STEELE is a republican and he and wife are members of the Congregational Church of East Bloomfield. Linus G., brother of Henry M., married Sarah CRITTENDEN of Canandaigua and had 4 children. He was a Knight Templar, a Mason, and a member and one of the organizers of Batavia Lodge. He died in October 1888. Charles E. STEELE, married Agnes, daughter of Henry W. HAMLIN. For 9 years he was postal clerk from Rochester to Niagara Falls and from Rochester to Syracuse; he founded the banking house of Hamlin & Steele of East Bloomfield, and there he remained until his death, March 27, 1885.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 175 - 176
Hiram STEELE, East Bloomfield, September 13, 1806, a son of Daniel, who was a son of Luke, who was born in Connecticut in June 1739 and died in 1789,being of the 4th generation of that name in this country. Luke married Esther CASSEN and had 3 children: Harvey, Daniel and Loraine. Daniel was born in 1775 in Connecticut and about 1797, came to Ontario county. He married in 1799, Lucy BUELL, by whom he had 4 children: Charlotte, born October 25, 1800; Marana, born October 13, 1804; Hiram, born September 13, 1806; and Theron, born March 1810. In 1805 he settled on 102 acres which he improved. He died March 14, 1813. His widow, Lucy, married ____ BAKER, and had one child, Daniel BAKER. She died in January 1850, aged 72 years.
After the death of his father, Hiram lived with his uncle, Harvey STEELE, until 12 years old and then with Joel K. SALMON, until 21, having earned his own living since his father's death. he worked by the month until March 1832, when he bought with is brother, 135 acres in Bloomfield. Three years later, he sold this, and bought 150 acres in Lima, and 7 years later sold his interest to his brother and farmed on shares for a few years. In 1847 he bought 50 acres and later 140 acres, then sold 50, and located on 140 acres immediately south of the depot. He now owns 20 acres immediately south of the village. From 1863 to 1866 he was a mail agent on the Central Railroad and has served as constable and collector. He has also been warden of St. Peter's Episcopal Church for 16 years, still holding the office. He is a republican. His first wife was Nancy McH. TURNER, daughter of Henry and Mary (MC HARG) TURNER of Albany, by whom he had 4 children: Mary E., deceased wife of Colonel C. E. L. HOLMES, a manufacturer at Waterbury, Conn.; Charles A. STEELE of Geneva; Edward D. of Waterbury, Conn.; and Charlotte A., wife of James S. ELTON, a manufacturer of Brass at Waterbury, Conn. Hiram's wife, Nancy, died May 17, 1878 in her 68th year. He married second, Harriet, widow of Morris NEWTON and daughter of Daniel and Abigail (Shepard) HAYDEN, of Waterbury, Conn. Mr. HAYDEN was one of the first manufacturers of brass in Massachusetts and he patented and covered by machine, the first button made in that way in the world. Mr. and Mrs. STEELE are members of the Episcopal church.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 240
STEELE, Elisha, East
Bloomfield, was born where he now resides, August 22, 1812, a son of
Elisha, who came from Connecticut just
after his marriage (about 1794) and settled on 300 acres, where he
lived until his death in December, 1812.
His wife was Anna BROWN, who
lived to be almost97 years of age.
They had 8 children: Harriet,
born in Bloomfield, July 11, 179-; Elmira,
born September 13, 1797; Edward, born
September 11, 1799; Samuel H., born
July 4, 1802; Garrett, born November 6,
1804; Marina, died in infancy;
Anna, born July 10, 1809; Elisha, born
August 22, 1812. He was
reared on a farm, and received a common school education,
supplemented by an academic course. When Elisha was 16 years
old, his brothers moved to Michigan, and he assumed charge of the
homestead, of which he now owns 150 acres, which he has improved
with fine buildings. He
has served as supervisor, elected by the republican three years, and
was active in getting the R. W. R. R. built through his town. February 19, 1839, he married Olive
NORTON, born in East Bloomfield, a daughter of Reuben
and Clarissa (STEELE) NORTON, originally of Connecticut, who
had 12 children. Subject
and wife had 4 children: 1. Clarissa,
who died aged 14 years; 2. Edgar
H., born October 14, 1840, enlisted in October, 1861, in the
85th N. Y. Vols., and was wounded at the Battle of Fair Oaks. He was taken prisoner and sent to Libby Prison, dying in June
1862; 3. Horatio
S., and 4. Julia
A., wife of Wesley SPERRY, of
STEELE was a member of the Congregational Church, and died
November 27, 1892.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 127 - 128
John H. STEPHENS,
postmaster of Clifton Springs, New York, was for many years
prominently identified with educational matters in various
capacities. The family
originally came from Germany. His
father, William L., who was the son of Abraham
STEPHENS, a native of Germany, was born in Rockland county,
New York. He removed to
the city of New York, where, for many years he conducted the
Westchester Pie Bakery, in West Nineteenth street, which was the
foundation of the present American Pie Baking Company.
He married Elizabeth WOOD.
William W.; James O.,
deceased; John H., see forward; Margaret;
Ella, and Elizabeth.
John H., son of William
L. and Elizabeth (WOOD) was born in New York City, January 8,
1847. He graduated from
the public schools of his native city in 1864, and attended the
Canandaigua Academy, 1865-66.
From 1868 to 1871 he taught district schools of
Manchester. For a time
he filled the position of bookkeeper in Greenwich, Connecticut,
1871-72-73, and then taught school again in Manchester until 1879.
He occupied the position of principal of the Shortsville
school from 1879 to 1881, and was school commissioner the next three
years. From 1884 until
1895 he served as principal of the Clifton Springs school, and from
1896 until 1905 he again served as school commissioner, was
reelected in 1905, and resigned the office in March, 1906, when he
accepted the postmastership of Clifton Springs.
To this position he was reappointed in March, 1910, and is
holding the office at the present time.
An example of the great confidence placed upon Mr.
STEPHENS may be attested by the fact that he has been called
upon as executor of many estates in his section of Ontario county,
serving in that capacity for upwards of twenty-five years.
He is at present a member of the board of education.
His lodge and club affiliations are as follows:
Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Phelps; Canandaigua Chapter, No. 164, Royal Arch Masons; Zenobia
Commandery, No. 41, Knights Templar, of Palmyra, New York; Clifton
Springs Lodge, Knights of Pythias; Clifton Springs Grange; Patrons
of Husbandry; Clifton Springs Masonic Club.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg.
a well know resident of Phelps, Ontario county, New York, is
descended from a family which for many generations has displayed
courage and patriotism in defence
(sic) of the rights and liberties of their country. Calvin
STEPHENSON, a pioneer setter and a soldier of the
had 6 sons who took part in the War of 1812;
James was taken a prisoner and died near Montreal, Canada; William
lost his life on the western plains; Luther
served in the contest at Raisin rive and in the battle of
Tippecanoe; Theodore, Calvin and Chester,
the other three, were also actively engaged in various encounters
during this famous struggle.
grandfather of Frederick P. STEPHENSON,
came from Springfield, Massachusetts and located in the town of
Orleans, Ontario county, NY, about 1800, subsequently settling in
Phelps, in the same county.
son of Harvey STEPHENSON, was born in the town of Galen, NY, in 1812, died
in 1883. He came to
Phelps with his father, where he was engaged in legal practice for
many years, being at the time of his death, the oldest attorney in
the county . He served
as postmaster of Phelps for many years and was elected as a member
of the assembly. He was also appointed by the government to represent it at
Panama, and remained there for some time.
A portion of his life was also spent in California.
He was married in New York State to Jennie,
daughter of Joshua PORTER and his
wife died at Phelps, NY.
of Dolphin and Jennie (PORTER) STEPHENSON, was
born in Phelps, Ontario county, NY, July 18, 1869.
His elementary education was received in the public schools
of his native town. Mr.
STEPHENSON married in 1904 to Jeannette
Ve LE MUNYON.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 179
STEARNS, E. A., Gorham, was born in Gorham, July 27, 1859, a son of Addison, he a son of Jonathan, a native of Upton, Mass., whose wife was Sarah TUFTS, by whom he had 12 children. In 1803 Mr. Jonathan STEARNS settled on a farm in Gorham, near Reed's Corners, and there died in 1863. Mrs. J. STEARNS died in 1860. Addison was born in Gorham in 1818. His wife was Eliza J. FISHER, born November 11, 1826, and was one of seven children of Samuel and Jane (WILSON) FISHER, natives of Pennsylvania and early settlers of Gorham. Mr. Addison STEARNS and wife had two children: Charles F., who died aged two and one-half years, and E. A. Mr. Addison STEARNS died in 1887. Subject was educated in the common schools and in Canandaigua Academy. He married Manette PEARCE, a native of Middlesex, Yates county, by whom he had three children: M. Josie (deceased), Irving P., and Laura. Mr. E. A. STEARNS is a republican and a farmer, as was his father and grandfather.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 174
Albert H. STEVENSON, Farmington, is the youngest son of William and Charity A. STEVENSON. His father, William STEVENSON, was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, October 14, 1833 and came with his parents to the United States when he was 10 years old, where they first located in Monroe county. He came to the town of Farmington in 1852. January 1, 1855, he married Charity A. WEBB of this town, and had two sons: 1. Edward W., who married Anna I. TUTTLE, a member of one of the oldest families in the town. They had one son, William A. 2. Albert H., was born August 6, 1859, was educated in the public schools and Canandaigua Academy. March 5, 1884, he married Lottie E. DAVIS of Farmington. On March 4, 1884, he was elected town clerk and has held the office ever since. William STEVENSON was a solider of the Civil War. January 5, 1864, he enlisted in Co. M., 16th Heavy Artillery, NYS Vol. and was honorable discharged at the close of the war. Mrs. William STEVENSON'S father, William WEBB was born April 8, 1807 and was educated in the public schools. June 17, 1830, he married Susanna A. COTTON of this town, and they had 3 children, Charity A., George A. and Isaac H., both sons are dead. Her grandfather, William M. WEBB, was born in Rhode Island and married Elizabeth SHEFFIELD, August 20, 1800, and came to Albany county at an early day, and in 1819, they came to Farmington.
AUSTIN STEWARD (1793-1869)
The slave of William HELM in Virginia, STEWARD was taken to Sodus and Bath, NY, when his master moved. Hired out by his master, STEWARD ran away about 1815. He was advised by the manumission society in Farmington that his hiring out made him free under New York law. However, his former master tried to kidnap him in Palmyra. For four years he attended school in Farmington and worked on the farm of Otis COMSTOCK.
A one-time resident (1831-1837) and president of the Canadian Wilberforce Colony of free slaves, STEWARD operated a meat and grocery businesses in Rochester (1817-1831). He also started a Sabbath school for African children. Returning to Rochester in 1837, he later moved to Canandaigua. There STEWARD played an active role in the 1847 "Emancipation Day" celebration that attracted nearly 10,000 people to the Academy grove on North Main Street. He died of typhoid fever and is buried in West Avenue Cemetery, Canandaigua.
In 1857 STEWARD published his autobiography, Twenty-two Years a Slave, and Forty Years a Freeman. He was so well-respected that Gov. Myron H. CLARK wrote STEWARD and asked be one of the subscribers to his book. (See photo in Family Photo section of this website)
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 176 - 177
John Cochrane STILLMAN, Canadice, was born in Springwater, March 26, 1856. Edwin Sumner STILLMAN was born in the same town, September 26, 1857. Their father, Edwin Amos STILLMAN was born in Middleton, Conn., in 1813 and died in Canadice in 1892. He was descended from George STILLMAN, who came from Steeple, Aspen, England, to Massachusetts in 1680. Edwin A. was educated at Brown University and Newton Theological Institute, originally intending to enter the ministry. He early became interested in Abolitionism, and worked in the the cause with J. T. WHITTIER and other noted men, and in the fall of 1833 was a delegate (at Philadelphia) to the general convention of Abolitionists. Seeing the attitude of the churches running adverse to the cause, he could not conscientiously enter the ministry. He became a civil engineer and surveyor, and in the construction of the New York and Erie canal, he held important positions. In 1845 he was engaged in locating the railroad from Canandaigua to Niagara Falls and in its construction as resident engineer. He settled in Springwater in 1854, and was engaged in lumbering and later came to Canadice, where he took an active part in politics as a republican. He was postmaster under President LINCOLN, justice of the peace for many years, was republican candidate for Assembly in 1861, when he was defeated by Judge MASON, the opposite candidate. He was later a candidate for the same office under the Greenback party, also for state engineer and surveyor. He established the lumber and cooperate business now conducted by his sons, John and Edwin, the firm being E. A. Stillman & Sons, for about 13 years, until his death. In 1842 he married Jennie COCHRANE, daughter of Rev. James COCHRANE, a Presbyterian clergyman of Rochester. Seven children survive him: Mabel, who is at home with her brothers, John and Elwin; Ellicott R. and James are in Milwaukee; Alice B., is the wife of C. N. LEGG of Coldwater, Mich., and Florence is the wife of F. F. BETTS of Wellsboro, Ind. Mr. STILLMAN latterly became a Prohibitionist and died June 14, 1892. John C., married in 1890, Inez HAYWARD of Richmond and they have two children, Madge and Blanch. Edwin S., married in 1891, Laura SINGERLAND of his town, and has one child, Onolee. The brothers have 265 acres of land of which 235 are in timber. They operate a stream saw mill and planing mill, cooperage and feed mill. They manufacture barrels, principally for apples. They also do custom work in the various departments. This is the only establishment of the kind in town.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 169 �
Robert STILTS, a native of Canada, settled in Steuben county,
NY, where he became a successful farmer and was highly respected for
his excellent character. He
married Elizabeth HENNION and their
children were: Rhoda, Mary, Ann, Rebecca,
Sophronia, Jacob and Thomas Henry.
The family records were accidentally burned many years ago
and information is meager.
Thomas Henry, son of John
Robert and Elizabeth (Hennion) STILTS, was born at Bradford,
Steuben county, NY in 1835, died May 16, 1898.
He was a farmer. He
marred December 14, 1855, Sarah PARKS,
born December 13, 1838. Children:
John R., mentioned below; Robert C.,
born April 28, 1861; Carrie, March 16,
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. I, pg. 191
Robert W. STODDARD, a member of the early Ontario county bar, was born in Connecticut in 1777; came into the Genesee county when quite a young man, settling at Geneva; attained distinction as a lawyer; died at Geneva, March 16, 1849.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 233 - 236
Peter STOUTENBURG, the founder of this family, who died March 9, 1698-99, was one of the
early Dutch immigrants in New Amsterdam, now New York City.
He arrived probably before 1649.
He was a school-master.
The marriage connections of his family and the offices held
by them, show that his family was one of good standing, and he had a
house and a large garden on the east side of Broadway, just north of
Wall street. He is
stated to have been aged 86 at his death.
His name is sometimes spelled STOUTENBURGH. He married, the banns being recorded in New York, July 25,
1649, Aefje VAN TIENHOVEN, a near
relative, perhaps a sister of Cornelius VAN
TIENHOVEN, the secretary and treasurer of the colony.
Engeltje, baptized August 20, 1651.
Engeltje, baptized January 5, 1653; married, banns recorded
February 10, 1671, Willem WALDRON.
baptized December 13, 1654. 4.
Jannetie, baptized August 30, 1656,
married, August 13, 1679, Albertus RINGO.
baptized May 8, 1658. 6.
Tobias, referred to below.
baptized October 15, 1662, married (first), November 3, 1680, Gerrit
Corneliszen VAN ECHTSVEEN and (second), May 25, 1693, Evert
Lucas, baptized January 10, 1666.
Isaac, baptized September 26, 1668, married, July 2, 1690, Neeltje
( II ) Tobias, son of Pieter
and Aefje ( VAN TIENHOVEN ) STOUTENBURG, was baptized January
18, 1660, died about 1716. He
lived all his life in New York.
He married, July 2, 1684, Anneken,
daughter of Jan Joosten VAN ROLLEGOM,
from Haarlem, Holland, who was baptized July 15, 1665.
She survived him many years.
baptized April 26, 1688; Jan,
baptized October 27, 1689; Lucas, baptized September 20, 1691; Jacobus,
baptized December 31, 1693; Johannas,
baptized February 13, 1695; Jacobus,
referred to below; Tobias, baptized
March 4, 1698; Tobias, baptized
December 22, 1700; Cornelius,
baptized May 23, 1703; Eva, baptized
October 15, 1704.
( III ) Jacobus, son of Tobias
and Anneken ( VAN ROLLEGOM ) STOUTENBURG, was baptized June
7, 1696, and died about 1772. At
some time after his marriage, he removed from New York City to the
Philipse Manor, Westchester county.
In 1741 or 1742, he moved to Dutchess county, in the present
town of Hyde Park, where he had long owned land.
Here he built a stone mansion, very fine for that day, with
spacious rooms and handsomely finished paneling and woodwork.
He was for some time county judge.
He married in New York, May 25, 1717, Margrietje,
daughter of William and Rachel ( KIERSTEDE
) TELLER, who was baptized February 2, 1696.
She was a great-granddaughter of the celebrated Anneke
portraits of this couple, painted on "panel," are still
baptized February 12, 1718, married, July 6, 1745, Catharina
VAN VLECK. 2.
Rachel, baptized March 16, 1720,
died young. 3.
William, referred to below.
baptized November 11, 1724, married in June, 1775, James
VAN VLECK. 5.
Jacobus, married, June 23, 1764, Joanna
John, baptized March 29, 1729, died
February 21, 1808; married, license November 25, 1773, Catharine
married Rachel VAN STEENBURGH.
baptized April 14, 1734, married, October 8, 1764, John
TELLER. 9. Luke,
baptized June 5, 1736, married (first), August 2, 1762,
Rachel TELLER and (second) November 24, 1782, Mary
( VAN VLECK ) MINTHORNE.
( IV ) William, son of Jacobus
and Margrietje ( TELLER ) STOUTENBURG, was baptized June 3,
1722. He received from
his father large
homestead farm, and built on it in 1765, a large stone house, near
Union Corners, New York. He
married, July 5, 1753, Maria,
daughter of Abraham and Maria ( KIP ) VAN
VLECK, baptized July 25, 1725.
James, died in 1807, married
(first), December 31, 1782, Mary MOSS
and (second), December 30, 1790, Hannah
MARSHALL and (third) Comfort BELL.
W., married Margaret VAN VLECK.
William W., born about 1759, died August 19, 1829; married,
January 28, 1783, Elizabeth CONKLIN.
W., referred to below. 5.
Mary W., married Harmon
VAN BENSCHOTEN. 6.
John W., baptized September 22,
Isaac, born December 17,
1767, died November 1, 1859; married, September 29, 1791, Elsie
Henry, born June 22, 1770, died
(V) Tobias W., son of William
and Maria ( VAN VLECK ) STOUTENBURG, in 1820 advertised for
sale his property at Union Corners and other lands.
With part of his family, he removed in 1825, to Hopewell.
He was a farmer. He married Mary HILL.
born June 29, 1792, married James HALL;
George, married three times; William,
married; Mary Van Vleck, born
November 4, 1797, died unmarried; Abraham,
died unmarried; John T., born
September 21, 1799, married December 3, 1823, Mary
VAN WAGNER; Sarah, born September 19, 1801, married Peter
REESE; Isaac, referred to below; Jane,
married Benjamin PRICHARD; Eliphalet, born October 15, 1811, married Clementine
(VI) Isaac, son of Tobias
W. and Mary ( HILL ) STOUTENBURG, was born in Dutchess
county, June 6, 1806, died April, 1881.
He also was a farmer. Coming
to Phelps, in 1866, he engaged in the manufacture of plaster.
He was an elder in the Presbyterian church. He married Ann, daughter of Peter
REESE, who died in March, 1863, and whose father was a native
of Maryland. Children:
George B., born November 13,
1832; Frederick, referred to below; Angenette,
born July 22, 1836, married Van Buren
WHEAT; Mary Jane, born September 11, 1838, married J.
F. SALISBURY; Angeline, born April 22, 1840, married George
SIMMONS; Martha, born October 20, 1843, married Elon
(VII) Frederick, son of Isaac and Ann (REESE) STOUTENBURG, was born in Hopewell, August 17, 1834. He was educated in the district school and the Wesleyan seminary at Lima. Then he engaged for a number of years in farming. In 1867 he sold his farm and went to Brooklyn, NY, where he entered into the flour, feed and grocery business. Selling this business, he manufactured doors, sashes and blinds for a year and a half. He sold out this business and returned in 1870 to Phelps. Then he was engaged for 5 years in the plastering business. Later, he worked at carpentry and sold windmills. He married, February 5, 1861, Lucy M., daughter of Kendall and Anna (STILWELL) KING, died October 31, 1902. Children: 1. Adriana, married George C. GATES; they have one child, Lulu A., who married John D. BOOTES of Chicago, Illinois; she is a musician of considerable note and ability. 2. Jennie K. 3. Carrie M.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 174
The late Harrison STRONG, Victor, was born at Wangom Mills, south of Fishers, nearly three quarters of a mile. He was educated in the public schools and was a farmer. He married 3 times, first on January 23, 1840 to Sarah CANSMAN, she died January 23, 1841; second, on January 20, 1842, he married Martha BUCKMAN, and they had 6 children: William H., Sarah J., Sherman S., Edward R., Mary A. and Frances A. He married third, on July 2, 1867, Victoria HAVILL of Rochester, and they had 4 children: Harrison S., Lyman D., Minerva S. who married Samuel LEWIS of the town of Mendon, and they have one son. S. Lloyd; and Frederick M. The three sons reside with their mother. Mr. STRONG died March 14, 1882. Mr. STRONG'S father, Ralph, was born in Massachusetts and came to Monroe county at an early day, about the year 1800. He married 3 times: 1st, Sophia DAY and 2nd, Lucy SHAW, formerly of Massachusetts. They had 4 children: Sophia, Harrison, Polly and Milton; the 3rd wife was a Mrs. HUBBARD. Mrs. STRONG'S father, Dr. Thomas HAVILL, was an Englishman of the Norman wing, was born near London, England, in the year of 1805. He was well educated and spent 7 years in France. He was a firm poet and writer, was a skillful physician and surgeon. He married 3 times and settled in the city of Rochester, about the year of 1830. He married first, Sophia TAYLOR and they had two children: Thomas C. and Sophia R.; second he married Jemima HILL and they had 6 children: Victoria A., Alice J., Jemima P., Susan, Caroline and Frederick P.; and third, he married Louisa PADGET, and had 10 children. He died in 1874.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 378 - 380
Winfield S. STRYKER,
prosperous farmer of Phelps, Ontario county, New York, is a member
of a family which has for many years been identified with the
history of the state of New York in various ways.
Notably and foremost, the members of this family were ardent
patriots, ever ready to lay down their lives in defense of the
country in which they lived.
( I ) James I. STRYKER,
grandfather of Winfield S. STRYKER, was
a farmer, also engaging in business as a tanner and currier and
following the trade of a harness maker.
He lived for many years at Sand Beach, and took a prominent
part in the affairs of his day.
He and his family were members of the Dutch Reformed church,
but later became identified with the Presbyterian denomination.
He married Anna M. FREESE, and
they were the parents of the following children:
Daniel P., died March 23, 1844,
aged thirty-eight; Adam F., also a
tanner and currier, born April 26, 1808, died August 3, 1884;
Henry, died in Portland, Oregon, one of the first settlers
there; John, mentioned below; Lydia
C., died June 6, 1888, aged 73; Charlotte,
deceased; Abram, also deceased; James
M., one of the pioneers of Chicago.
James I. STRYKER died December
14, 1825, aged 45 years, and his widow survived him many
years, passing away March 14, 1862, at the advanced age of 80.
( II ) John, son of James
I. and Anna M. (FREESE) STRYKER, was born at Sand Beach,
Owasco Lake, New York, April 17, 1810, died in 1882. He lived on the farm which had been in his possession for
many years, and which he kept in a fine state of cultivation.
His interest in public affairs was an active and beneficial
one, and he bore his share bravely in the military life of the
country, serving as a captain in the New York state militia.
He married Maria GARRITSON, who
died in 1869, and they had children:
Winfield S., mentioned below; Ellen
F., who married John SALISBURY; Anna V.,
married Charles PECK; Sarah A., married
George CASE, both deceased.
( III ) Winfield S., son of John
and Maria (GARRITSON) STRYKER, was born in Cayuga county, New
York, August 28, 1847. He
was educated in the public schools, and at an early age, under the
able supervision and direction of his father, became initiated into
the details of farm management and cultivation.
Later he removed to Oaks Corners, where he was engaged in
farming for a period of seven years, and subsequently removed to
Phelps, where he purchased the farm on which he is living at the
present time. He is
progressive in his methods, ready to adopt any new idea which seems
practical, and the farm is very successfully managed.
The buildings are amply large for the purposes for which they
were designed, and they are kept in the finest condition.
A considerable portion of the acreage is devoted to the
growing of fruit of various kinds, and this is a profitable
enterprise. He is a
republican in politics and has served as school director.
He is a member of Wide Awake Grange, No. 747, Patrons of
Husbandry, of Phelps, New York. The family attend the Presbyterian church.
J., daughter of Daniel and Eliza
(BENSON) CASE, and they had children: Winfield C., Arthur J.; Flora E.,
married November 18, 1908, James H. WESTON of
Oaks Corners, NY, and they have one child, John
S., born January 20, 1910; Clara H., died
August 2, 1903; Olive E.; John H., Daniel;
Harold E. and Elmer E., twins.
History of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 53
George S. STUBBS, member of one of the largest lumber firms in the state of New York, is an energetic and enterprising man of business, ready to adopt all progressive methods and improvements, which have proved their practicability. He is of English decent.
William STUBBS, the first of this family to come to America, was born in Yorkshire, England, 1798, and died in New York State, 1858. He emigrated to this country in 1824, settled at first in Oneida county, New York, then migrated to Ontario county in the same state, and there made farming his life work. He married in England, 1824, Elizabeth KING, born in Yorkshire England, 1801, died in this country, 1884.
Watson E., son of William and Elizabeth (KING) STUBBS, was born in Oneida county, New York, 1837. He was educated in the public schools of the town of Phelps, Ontario county, New York, and assisted his father in the cultivation of the home farm from a very early age. He was thus engaged until he was about 28 years of age, when he took up carpentry, which he followed for about nine years. In 1886 he established himself in the lumber trade, organizing a retail and wholesale business in Geneva, New York, for lumber and all the materials connected with it. In this enterprise he has been eminently successful, and twelve years ago admitted his son, George S., to a partnership in the concern. The business is in a very flourishing condition and the annual sales show a constant and very satisfactory increase. Mr. STUBBS is a republican in his political views, and a member of the North Presbyterian Church. He holds high rank in Masonic circles, being a member and master three times, of Ark Lodge, No. 33, Free and Accepted Masons; Geneva Chapter, No. 36, Royal Arch Masons; Geneva Commandery, No. 29, Knights Templar; Damascus Temple, Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; Royal Arcanum.
Mr. STUBBS married, March 31, 1863, Martha E. LOUW, born in Phelps, New York, March 24, 1844. Children: 1. George S., see forward; 2. Florence M., born March 16, 1871, married M. H. DEUSENBURY and resides in Trenton, New Jersey; 3. Anna M., born May 26, 1884, is unmarried.
George S., only son of Watson E., and Martha E. (LOUW) STUBBS, was born in Halls Corner, Seneca, June 13, 1867. He resides in Geneva, New York and is a man endowed with unusual executive ability. Under his capable control, during the past twelve years, the business with which he has become identified, made rapid forward strides and has taken a high rank in the commercial world, in addition to its former prestige. He is an earnest supporter of the republican principles, and a member of the North Presbyterian Church. His fraternal affiliations are with the following organizations: Past member of Ark Lodge No. 33, Free and Accepted Masons; past high priest of Geneva chapter No. 36, Royal Arch Masons; eminent commander of Geneva Commandery No. 29, Knights Templar; member of Umarken Grotto No. 21 of Geneva; past exalted ruler of Lodge No. 1054, benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Mr. STUBBS married, 1888, Lydia WALTHEART. Children: the elder attends the Geneva high school: Hazel L., born in 1889; Elizabeth M., born in 1907.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 164
Spencer J. SUTHERLAND, Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua on the farm now owned by H. O. PARKS, April 7, 1857, a son of Thompson and Polly L. (Sutherland) SUTHERLAND. Subject was educated in Canandaigua Academy under Prof. CLARKE and assisted on his father's farm until 1880, when he bought a farm of 150 acres, part of the SUTHERLAND homestead farm, which is used as a stock and grain farm. Mr. SUTHERLAND is also in partnership with his father, in wool dealing. He married in 1879, Mary, daughter of Spencer BANCROFT, a farmer in Hopewell. They have two children, Helen F. and Floyd Thompson.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 168
Thompson SUTHERLAND, Canandaigua, was born in Columbia county, November 16, 1831. The origin of this family dates back to 5 brothers who came from Scotland early in the 18th century. The grandfather of the subject, David, was born in Dutchess county previous to the war of the Revolution. His wife was Deborah HUSTED, and they have 5 sons and 4 daughters. William, was the 3rd son. William was born December 12, 1800. His early life was spent in Columbia county, where he followed farming until 1833, when he came to Ontario county, shipping his goods and family by the canal, and driving his team on the towpath. He bought a farm in Canandaigua, adding thereto until at one time he owned about 600 acres. Early in the forties, he engaged in speculation in beef and pork in Chicago and returned from that city in February 1844, on horseback. He was engaged in speculation of different kinds, mostly wool and stock, in which he was very successful, and accumulated a vast property, starting under opposition form his native country. He was a Republican and died January 26, 1889. He had married in 1828, Sarah THOMPSON of Stamford, Delaware county, and they had 5 children, all of whom were born ion the old homestead, except Thompson. Mrs. SUTHERLAND died in 1871, and he married 2nd, in 1873, Mrs. Josephine P. MESICK of Michigan, who died January 18, 1883. Thompson was educated in the common schools and Canandaigua Academy and has been engaged in farming and speculation in wool and stock. He has always made his home on the old farm until April 1892, when he removed to this village. He married in 1855, Polly L., daughter of Josiah SUTHERLAND, and they have 2 children living: Spencer J., of the old homestead and Walter Thompson, who lives at home. The second child, John W., died December 2, 1880, aged 21 years.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 180 - 181
SUTHERLAND, Lot D., D.D.S., Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua, January 2, 1866, a son of Lewis J. of this town. His life, with the exception of his college years, has been spent in Canandaigua. He was educated at the Canandaigua Academy and then entered the Philadelphia Dental College, from which he graduated in 1887; the same year he opened his present office in the Dailey block, which he has since conducted. Mr. SUTHERLAND is a member of the Congregational church. He is a grandson of John DAILEY who died in 1886.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 341
Henry C. SUTHERLAND, Canandaigua, was born on the homestead about 2 miles west of Canandaigua, December 18, 1844, a son of William SUTHERLAND. The ancestry on the paternal side is Scotch and the American branch of the family was founded by 3 brothers who came to this country some time in the 18th century. David, grandfather of Henry C., lived in Columbia county and had 9 children, of whom William was the youngest son. William was born in Chatham, December 5, 1800 and in the War of 1812, drove a team for the government from Albany to New York. He married in Columbia county, in 1828, Sarah THOMPSON of Stamford, Dutchess county, and in 1831 came to Ontario county moving his goods by canal, himself riding horseback and leading one horse on the towpath. He bought a farm of 360 acres, and for many years engaged in speculation in wool and live stock. In the winter of 1840-41, he went to Chicago, where he was engaged in packing meat, and returned on horseback from Indiana, where he had bought two horses. Of his five children, four survive: Thomason, Eliza, the widow of the late John SMITH; Lewis and Henry C. Maria married Ross CRIPPEN of Penfield, and died February 15, 1865.
Henry C. has always lived in this town. He has a common school education and assisted his father on the farm, where he remained until of age, when he bought a farm on the western town line which he conducted till 1885. He then bought his present farm, the Oliver PHELPS estate and that year erected a beautiful residence on the place. Mr. SUTHERLAND is interested in many private institutions, is a director of the Canandaigua Tinware Co., of which he is also vice-president; a stockholder in the Lisk Manufacturing Company, and the Canandaigua National Bank. He married in 1864, Maggie CASTLE, by whom he had one child, Cora, wife of Wayland HOPKINS of Canandaigua. Mrs. SUTHERLAND died in 1873 and he married second, Lillian, daughter of Addison WHEELER of East Bloomfield, and they have one son and a daughter, Will H., a student of Canandaigua Academy and L. Vedah.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 344 - 345
D. A. SUTHERLAND, Gorham, is a native of Potter, Yates county, born August 23, 1831. He is a son of Alexander, a son of David, who was a native of Orange county and one of the earliest settlers of Yates county. He was a Baptist minister and was once a member of assembly. Alexander was born in Potter, in 1789 and married Maria VAN DUZER, a native of Orange county. They had two sons and six daughters. Mr. SUTHERLAND was justice of the peace for 15 years. He died in 1836 and his wife in 1884, at the age of 94 years.
David A. SUTHERLAND was educated in Genesee Wesleyan Seminary and in 1853, married Charlotte COLE, a native of Gorham, and daughter of Warren and Mary A. (FERGUSON) COLE, of Otsego and Orange counties, respectively. To them were born four children. Warren died October 28, 1878 and his wife, in 1839. David A. and Charlotte have two daughters, Celia C., who died in 1864 and Charlotte C., wife of James M. LANE of Gorham. Mr. SUTHERLAND spent 9 years in farming and then for 12 years kept a hotel at Reeds Corners, NY. In 1864 he began as an auctioneer and has since had a very successful business. Since 1869 he has resided in Gorham, engaged in buying wool and produce. He is a Democrat, and has been highway commissioner and notary public. (1870 Maria, mother of David A., was listed in Potter, NY census, aged 80y) (1870 census for Gorham, listed as David and Charlotte SOUTHERLAND)
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 363 - 364
SUTHERLAND, Lewis T.,
Canandaigua, was born in Canandaigua, September 25, 1848, a son of William,
a native of Chatham, Columbia county, born December 5, 1800.
He came to Ontario county about 1833, and settled on a farm
adjoining the home of our subject, where he always made his home,
and died there January 29, 1889.
He married, before coming to Ontario county, Sarah
THOMPSON, a native of Dutchess county, by whom he had four
children, three sons and two daughters.
One sister, Mrs. Maria GRIFFEN,
died in Penfield about 1865. The
children living are: Thompson, Eliza A.,
wife of John, of Canandaigua, and
Lewis T. This
town has always been the home of our subject.
He was given an education in the common schools and
Canandaigua Academy, and assisted on his father's farm until 23
years of age, when he began farming for himself.
In 1883 he bought his present farm, and in 1884 built his
beautiful residence. He
has always taken an active interest in church work, and has been
trustee of the Presbyterian church about four years, and is a
director of the Canandaigua Tinware Company.
Mr. SUTHERLAND married Ellen
E., daughter of Addison H. WHEELER
of East Bloomfield in 1871, and they have one child, Acey
W., of Perkins's hardware store in Canandaigua.
History of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 484 - 485
Myron C. SUTHERLAND, whose farm is a model of its size in Seneca, Ontario county, New York, has been connected with agricultural interests all his life, and, by means of extensive traveling, has acquired the best methods in vogue throughout the length and breadth of the country.
James SUTHERLAND, his father, was born in Ontario county, New York in 1815, and died there in 1877. He married Elizabeth CLARK, who was born in Ontario county in 1820. Children: Myron C., see forward, George W. and David C.
Myron C. SUTHERLAND was born in Seneca, Ontario county, New York, April 25, 1836. He was educated in the district school, and at an early age assisted in the farm labors during the summer months, while attending school during the winter. In this manner he acquired a thorough knowledge of every detail connected with farm management and the best methods to be applied. In 1863 he commenced to farm independently, later purchasing a fine farm 60 acres, about ten of which he devotes to the cultivation of fruit, and has been exceptionally successful in his line of production. He has made the journey to California twice, and on each occasion gave close attention to agricultural methods in other sections of the country, adopting, upon his return, those which seemed to be best suited to the conditions which prevail in his home section of the country. In this way he was enabled to make a number of innovations, which have proved so successful that they have found a number of imitators among the farmers of his vicinity. His interest in the public affairs of his community has always been an active one, and his fellow townsmen have honored him wit the office of commissioner of highways for a period of three years. His political support is given to the Republican party.
Mr. SUTHERLAND married in 1862, Mary J. CROSIER, who died in 1887. Children: 1. Frank C., born on the family homestead in 1868, was educated at the district school and Starkey Seminary, and now assists his father in the management of the farm; married Ella BARDEN. 2. George G., educated at Keuka College; farmer in Seneca, New York; married Mabel HALL; they have one son, Merton. 3. Marvin J., educated at Cook Academy; baker at Gorham, and engaged in buying and selling fruit; married Harriet FOREST.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 345
Charles SUTTON, Manchester, was born in the town of Rushford, Allegany County, NY, July 19, 1856. His father settled at Naples, NY, where he followed agricultural pursuits. Charles married a Miss (Ella) KNAPP of Ontario county, who succeeded to her father's farm of 50 acres near Clifton Springs. This farm they still own and conduct. Mr. SUTTON is a staunch Republican and is much esteemed in the county. (no children per 1900 census; married 11y) (poss. son of Seymour & Angeline)
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 162
Hiram Lloyd SUYDAM, Geneva, was born in Geneva, April 26, 1822. He was educated in the common schools and at the age of 8 years, worked in the Geneva Wooden Factory, afterwards at Big Stream, where he remained 3 years. In 1833 he learned the tailor's trade, but only followed it for 2 years. He then learned the harness trade, which he followed 5 years. In 1841 his mother bought the property on Exchange street, known now as the International Hotel and conducted a bakery, he attending to the business and his mother to matters in the house. In 1848, a confectionery business was added, also a partner, A. T. RANDOLF, with teams on the road with crackers, candies and cigars. This was discontinued after three years. In 1853 he began to conduct a restaurant called "The Gem", which was quite noted. Mr. SUYDAM retired from business in 1872. May 15, 1861, the 33rd Infantry was organized, and Mr. SUYDAM became its regimental quartermaster, but resigned after 4 months service. After retiring from business, he devoted his time to painting and studying the Scriptures. He has married 3 times, first, April 12, 1842, to Eliza EASTER, who was born in England and they had a son, Aldred, who died at the age of 7 months. Mrs. SUYDAM died January 24, 1846 and he married second, February 24, 1847, Elizabeth HAYWARD of Geneva, also born in England and they had 5 children: William H., Grant L., Frederick W., Louisa I. and Anna T., who married Dr. ALLEN of Gorham. Mrs. SUYDAM died October 4, 1884. For his 3rd wife, on November 12, 1885, he married Addie BURNS of Geneva, who was born at Ovid, Seneca county. Mr. SUYDAM has lost all of his family, except one daughter and his present wife. The crowning work of his life is upon the "Chart of the Ages," showing forth the fact that we shall all be saved through the two Adams.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 347
Amasa (sic) SWAN, Richmond, was born in Stonington, Conn., in 1788. when a child he went with Joshua to Saratoga county, where he married Keziah HANFORD. In 1818 he settled in Richmond, where Edmund SWAN now lives, and bought that farm. His brother, Peleg, who came soon after, joined him in the purchase, and finally bought Amos's interest and lived and died there. Amos went first to Bristol and five year later to Canadice, where J. M. HISK now lives and here he spent the remainder of his days, dying in 1844. One son, Seneca, was born in Saratoga county and 8 children were born in this county. Two died. Joshua, born in 1819, makes his home with his sister, Adelia, the second wife and widow of Philip STOUT, who for many years was a merchant and hotel keeper here. The hotel is now kept by Mrs. STOUT. (*I believe that Amasa and Amos are one in the same) (1820 census, listed as Amos)
Anthony, Geneva, was born in Barrington, Yates county,
February 1, 1833. He
was educated in the public schools and has always followed farming.
March 25, 1860, he married Eleanor VAN
NESS of Steuben county, and they have 8 living children:
1. John V., who married Fannie
HULL and has one son, Harold S.; 2.
Herbert D., who married Lulu HULL,
and they have two sons, Homer A. and Wallace
H.; 3. Abbie
Willis F., who married Edith JAYNES;
5. Susan M.;
6. Miner B.;
and 8. Eva R.
Five reside at home.
Robbie E. died when
nearly two years old. Mr.
SWARTHOUT's father, George F., was
born in the town of Ovid, October 28, 1790.
He married Rowena RUSSELL of
Barrington, December 3, 1818, and settled in Barrington in 1819.
In 1843 he settled in Milo, three miles south of Penn Yan,
where he died July 13, 1853. They
had 12 children, ten of whom grew to maturity.
Mrs. SWARTHOUT's father, John
VAN NESS, was born in New Jersey, and married Eleanor
HANKINSON, of his native place, and came to Hammondsport,
Steuben county. They
had two sons and six daughters.
Mrs. SWARTHOUT's uncle, Elijah
ROSENKRANS, was a soldier in the War of 1812.
General McPHERSON of the Civil
war was a cousin of Mr. SWARTHOUT.
History of Ontario County, NY published 1893, pg 171 - 172
Thomas H. SWEENEY, Geneva, son of Edward and Julia (DESMOND) SWEENEY, was born in Sandy Creek, NY, March 28, 1850. His father, Edward, was a large railroad contractor and built 21 miles of the R & WRR, 3 miles of the Potsdam & WRR, 7 miles of the Utica & BRRR and was supervisor of the town of High Market, Lewis county, for 2 years. He was justice of the peace 25 years. He is now a resident of West Martinsburg. His wife died in 1883. Thomas H., was educated in the common schools and was trustee of his school district, when 14 years of age. In 1865, he went to Schenectady and was assistant station keeper for one year. In 1868, he was first assistant station keeper at Utica. In February 1870, he was a general store keeper and watchman at Willard Asylum. In 1877, he opened a clothing store at Geneva and was in that business until 1885. He has held the office of excise commissioner from 1880 to 1885, when he was elected police justice of Geneva to fill vacancy for one year, and was then re-elected for full term of four years, which he held until April 1891. In that year he was secretary of the Board of Health and registrar of vital statistics. He is a Democrat and always takes an active part in political affairs. He was a delegate to the Democratic State Convention in 1888, and was president of the Democratic Club for four years, during which time he succeeded in uniting the party so that every office except one in the town and village was filled by a Democrat. In 1875, he was united in marriage with Miss H. F. DONNELLY, daughter of William DONNELLY, who was one of the early settlers of Lewis county. They have had 9 children, 8 of whom survive. Mr. SWEENEY is now engaged in real estate and fire, life and accident insurance. The family are members of the Francis De Sales Roman Catholic church and the children attend the parochial school.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 489 - 490
Charles Henry SWEENEY,
actively and prominently identified with the leading industries of
Geneva and vicinity, is a native of Geneva, New York, born March 20,
1880, son of Thomas Henry and Honora Frances
(DONNELLY) SWEENEY, and grandson of Edward
and Julia (DESMOND) SWEENEY.
( I ) Edward SWEENEY, the first
of the name of the line here under consideration, was extensively
engaged in the contracting business. He was reliable, responsible, and of thorough integrity and
unquestioned honor, and these qualities were active factors in the
success attained by him in his business career.
He served in the capacity of justice of the peace for a
quarter of a century, discharging his duties with efficiency and
promptness. He married Julia
DESMOND, and among their children was Thomas
Henry (see forward).
( II ) Thomas Henry, son of Edward
and Julia (DESMOND) SWEENEY, was born at Sandy Creek, New
York, March 28, 1850, died June 14, 1906. He attended the public schools in the neighborhood of his
birthplace, and was trustee of the school district at an early age
of 14 years. In
1877 he established a general store at Geneva and was engaged in
that line of business until 1885, a period of eight years, when he
was elected police justice to fill a vacancy, serving for one year,
at the expiration of which time he was reelected for a full term of
four years. Subsequently
he engaged in the insurance business in Geneva with his sons. He was industrious, energetic and persevering, was successful
in his business pursuits, and commanded the respect and confidence
of his business associates, friends and neighbors.
He was a staunch Democrat in politics.
He married, in 1875, Honora Frances,
daughter of William DONNELLY.
Edward, Eugene Howard, died April 25, 1909; Charles
Henry (see forward); Stephen Joseph,
Mary Theresa, Cora Genevieve, Regina Julia, Sarah Agnes,
( III ) Charles Henry, son of Thomas
Henry and Honora Frances (DONNELLY) SWEENEY, attended the St.
Francis de Sales School at Geneva, New York.
At the age of 14, he began his active career, entering
his father's office, engaged in real estate and general insurance.
He is now the head of the firm of T. H. Sweeney & Sons,
the other members being his brothers, William
Edward and Stephen Joseph SWEENEY, and in addition to a
general insurance business, they handle all kinds of real estate and
make extensive loans. It
is the oldest established real estate agency in eastern Ontario
county, and it has been through them that the majority of the
business and residential property has been disposed of during the
past fifteen years.
Charles H. SWEENEY is a director in the Universal Loan
and Saving Association and the Geneva Chamber of Commerce, secretary
of the Vance Boiler Works, treasurer of the P. Jay Donnelly Works.
He is a member of St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church;
Knights of Columbus, in which he held the office of lecturer;
charter member of Golden Seal Lodge, No. 1054, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, in which he serves as trustee; member of
Sagogmatha Club, of which he is a trustee; Geneva Automobile Club,
and the Geneva Yacht Club.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2016
[NY History and Genealogy]