Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.
If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.
Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas. Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 189
TIBBALS, David, Canadice, was born in Hartford county, Conn., October 8, 1785. When 8 years old his father moved to Galway, Saratoga county, NY. There David lived until manhood. He learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, married, and moved to Cayuga county, NY, there followed his profession for 10 years. In 1816 he bought a farm in Canadice and in 1818 moved on to it and there lived until his death, which occurred September 27, 1868. Mr. TIBBALS was the husband of three wives, and the father of 7 children. His first wife was the mother of one (Phebe), and died September 17, 1809, in Saratoga county. His second wife was the mother of 6 children (Sarah, Wakeman, Charlotte, Peter, Noah and Luther). On April 9, 1832, this wife and mother died a most pitiable death, caused by falling on to a new made fire in an old fashioned log house fire-place. Mr. TIBBALS rose early on Sunday morning, built the fire as usual, and went to the barn to do some chores, expecting to return before any of the family were up. When he came in he found Mrs. TIBBALS sitting on the floor with her flannel clothing all burned off one side of her, with the fragments of clothing and adhering coals scattered over the floor. She lingered four days and expired. Mrs. TIBBALS was an unfortunate woman from her youth, being troubled with epilepsy, which caused her premature death. Mr. TIBBALS's third consort died April 3, 1864. Of the children of Mr. TIBBALS, four are dead: Phebe, Sarah, Peter and Wakeman. Charlotte, it is unknown. Noah and Luther live in Canadice. Noah is on the homestead where he was born.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 193 - 194
TIBBALS, Albert H., Canadice, was born in this town January 28, 1843. Arnold TIBBALS, who was born in 1713 in Connecticut, was of English descent, and a son of Captain TIBBALS, one of the founders of the Connecticut colony. Arnold was the father of David 1st, father of David 2d, father of Peter, father of Albert H. David 2d came to Canadice in 1818 and settled where his son Noah now lives. His son Peter was born April 22, 1821, in Canadice, and was apprenticed to Chauncey PARSONS, a blacksmith in Geneseo, and in that town gained part of his education. He married while there Jane BENNETT, a native of England, who came with her father George and his 6 brothers to this country when 10 years old. Peter lived in various places and came to Canadice and settled where Albert H. now lives in 1858, and here he was engaged in farming and blacksmithing until his death, July 17, 1878. Of his 4 children, one died young, and the others are: Albert H.; Addie L., born in 1857, wife of Rev. A. W. FENTON, a Methodist minister; and Netta, born in 1860, wife of Stephen J. COLE, a farmer of Richmond. He held several of the town offices. Albert H. was educated at the district schools and Dansville Seminary, and worked on his father's farm, teaching school winters for three years. He then enlisted in Co. K, 147th New York Infantry, under Colonel F. C. MILLER, in July, 1863. He was in several engagements, including all the battles of the Wilderness Campaign to the battle and charge of Petersburg, June 18, 1864. Of more than 600 men of this regiment who went into the Wilderness on the 4th of May, less than 100 were left and fit for duty after this battle of Petersburg. Mr. TIBBALS was slightly wounded twice in these battles, but not disabled nor excused from duty till the latter part of June, when he went into hospital on account of sickness. Later he returned to his regiment and participated in the battles of Hatcher's Run, Gravelly Run, Five Forks, and at General LEE's surrender at Appomattox C. H. He was adjutant's clerk at headquarters much of the time when not in active movement, and was discharged in July, 1865. Returning home he taught school fourteen winters and engaged in farming. In 1866 he married Lucy E., daughter of Henry SLINGERLAND of this town. They have two sons: Grant A., born November 4, 1867, for some time a teacher, and now clerk of the Surrogate's Court of this county; and Walter H., born July 11, 1881. Mr. TIBBALS is now serving his fifth term as justice of the peace; he was a notary public several years, a member of the Board of Supervisors in 1884-5, and justice of sessions in 1890-1-2. (prob buried in Tibbals Cemetery in Canadice)
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 247 - 248
TICHENOR, Isaac M., Canandaigua,
was born at Newark, NJ, February 23, 1789, a son of Moses
TICHENOR, of New Jersey.
Isaac M. was one of two
children. His sister Mary
married a Mr. SEXTON, who moved to
Jamaica in the West Indies, and was never heard of afterward.
The early life of our subject was spent in the town of his
birth. He was of French
descent and was educated by a French tutor.
After a few years spent on a farm he went into the shoe
business in Newark, NJ, which he followed until about 1837, when, on
account of ill-health, he was ordered by his physician to find a
quiet home in the country. He
was an ardent student of nature, and after inspecting the country
all about, permanently located on the west shore of Canandaigua
Lake, where he bought the farm now occupied by F.
O. CHAMBERLAIN. He
was there about twelve years, and then bought the farm where the
rest of his life was spent. Tichenor's
Point on the lake was named for him.
He died August 17, 1863, and the church of which he was a
member lost one of its firmest supporters.
He was a strong Republican.
He was also a soldier of the War of 1812, and at his death
was one of the last survivors of this war.
He married, when but 17 years of age, Jemima
BALDWIN, of Newark, and they had 8 children, three still
living: Henrietta D., wife of S.
C. WHITE, of Augusta, Ga.; Harriet P.,
wife of Rev. A. M. STOWE, of
Canandaigua; and Almira B. TICHENOR,
who conducts the old homestead farm, a beautiful place of 175 acres,
which has become a very popular summer resort.
Immediately in front of the old homestead is a camp of the
Natural Science Club.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 193
TIFFANY, Francis J., Hopewell, was born in Canandaigua, April 30, 1823, a son of Edmund TIFFANY, a native of Massachusetts, who when 6 years of age came with his parents, Zachariah and Susan TIFFANY, to Canandaigua. Here the grandparents lived and died. Edmund TIFFANY married Polly JONES, and they had one son and three daughters. He died in 1868, and his wife died in 1865. Francis J. was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools and Canandaigua Academy. He married Martha FAUROT, a native of Hopewell, and they had one daughter, Mary E., who became Mrs. Henry A. DARLING. She died in 1883, leaving two children: Grace and Henry T. Grace died in 1883. Since 1880 Mr. TIFFANY has resided on a part of what is known as the BUSH estate. He is a republican, and has been inspector 15 years. He and wife are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Canandaigua.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 187
TILDEN, Christopher, Manchester, was born in Charlestown, NH, April 26, 1827. His father moved to Palmyra early in this century and carried on the stove and tin business for a number of years. In 1844 he moved on the homestead farm of 125 acres in Manchester, which he purchased and of which the subject of this brief sketch inherited a part upon the death of his father. Christopher TILDEN lived upon that farm and toiled for many years. There he was married to Marcelline HOLMES of Manchester, a descendant of one of Ontario's pioneer families. Finding more land desirable and available Mr. TILDEN purchased another farm of 100 acres near Palmyra, upon which he still lives. Mr. TILDEN has filled many local and town offices and was a director of the plank road for many years. He enjoys the respect and esteem of all.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 191 - 193
immigrant ancestor, came in the ship "Hercules" of
Sandwich, England, from Tenterden, England, in March, 1634, bringing
with him his wife Lydia, seven children
and seven servants. He
settled at Scituate where he was living and had a house built
according to Parson LOTHROP, as early
as September, 1634. He
was the first ruling elder of the Scituate church, indicating that
he was one of the foremost citizens.
He held many town offices.
His was the third house on Kent street, south of Greenfield
lane. He also had lands
at Long Marsh, and in 1640 land on the east side of North River
below the Gravelly Beach. His
will was dated May 25, 1641 and proved July 31, 1641.
He bequeathed to his wife:
to sons Joseph, Thomas and Stephen; daughters
Judith, Mary, Sarah and Lydia; to
servants Edward CINKINS and Edward TARSE;
his wife was to have a house in Tenterden.
His son Joseph, was made
executor of the will of his father's brother, Joseph
TILDEN, citizen and girdler by trade, of London, February 1,
1642. The widow Lydia
and daughters Mary and Sarah
were the legatees and this daughter Lydia afterwards
married Richard GARRETT.
Joseph, married Elizabeth
TWISDEN, had the homestead; Thomas
(a Thomas came to Plymouth in 1623 and
had three lots assigned to him, perhaps the same); Mary,
married, March 13, 1630, Thomas LAPHAM; Sarah,
married, March 13, 1630, George SUTTON;
Judith, married Abraham PREBLES; Lydia,
married Richard GARRETT; Stephen, about
1630, mentioned below.
II ) Stephen, son of Nathaniel
TILDEN, was born in England, about 1630-34; married in 1661, Hannah
LITTLE, daughter of Thomas LITTLE, of
Marshfield. He resided
most of the time at Marshfield.
Hannah, 1662; Stephen,
1663; Abigail, 1666; Mary, 1668;
Judith, 1670; Joseph, mentioned below; Mercy,
1674; Ruth, 1676;
Isaac, 1678; Ephraim, 1680.
( III ) Joseph, son of Stephen
TILDEN, was born May 13, 1672. He lived at Scituate and Marshfield. He married, November 30, 1710, Sarah
WHITE, who was baptized, an adult, June 20, 1708, at Scituate.
He and his wife were admitted to the Scituate church,
September 5, 1756. Sarah
WHITE was born April 26, 1685, at Scituate, daughter of Timothy
WHITE who married in 1678.
Abigail, daughter of John
ROGERS. Timothy was
a son of Gowan WHITE of the Conihasset
plantation in 1646, who bought a farm of William
RICHARDS, in 1650.
Children of Joseph and Sarah TILDEN:
Joseph, born September 20, 1711; Christopher,
mentioned below; Benjamin, baptized
October 5, 1712; John, born October 1,
1715; Sarah, born May 23, 1718;
John, born October 17, 1725.
( IV ) Christopher, son of Joseph
TILDEN, was baptized at Scituate May 4, 1712.
He married Sarah PARROT of
Boston and lived there. Children,
born in Boston: Major
David, mentioned below; Sarah,
born March 6, 1743; Abigail, April 17,
1745; Captain Joseph, of Boston, had
sons Joseph, Bryant P. and William.
( V ) Major David TILDEN, son of
Christopher TILDEN, was born at Boston,
October 5, 1741. He
married Joanna _____.
He lived in Boston and Pembroke, Massachusetts and was
prominent in the Revolution. He was first lieutenant in Captain James
HATCH's company in 1776 and marched from Pembroke to
Braintree. He was
second major of Colonel John CUSHING's regiment
(Second Plymouth county) in 1777 and was in the Rhode Island
campaign. He was superintendent of mustering in 1778, in Plymouth
baptized at Pembroke, February 19, 1764.
mentioned in Deane's "Scituate."
born in Boston, April 12, 1769, mentioned below.
Mary, baptized March 24, 1771.
baptized at Pembroke, February 28, 1773.
baptized at Pembroke, February 5, 1775.
Nathaniel, baptized at Pembroke, November 3, 1776.
Nathaniel, baptized July 26, 1778.
( VI ) Christopher ( 2 ), son of
Major David TILDEN, was born in Boston,
April 12, 1769. He
lived in Boston. He
married Elizabeth _____.
Children, born in Boston:
Christopher, born May 12, 1796; Elizabeth,
January 16, 1798; William B., mentioned
( VII ) William B., son of Christopher
( 2 ) TILDEN, was born in Boston, August 5, 1799.
He was educated in the public schools and learned the trade
of tinsmith and hardware making.
He resided for some time in Charlestown, New Hampshire.
He married Sarah HUNT of that
town. He died in 1865,
in Palmyra, New York, whither he had removed and settled.
They had a son Christopher,
( VII ) Christopher ( 3 ), son
of William B. TILDEN, was born in
Charlestown, New Hampshire, in 1827.
We was but one year old when the family moved to Palmyra and
he attended the public schools of that town and the Glens Falls
Academy. He worked on
his father's farm in his boyhood.
Afterward he located in Manchester, New York, where he bought
a farm which he conducted for a number of years.
He was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church, of
Palmyra, of which he was a vestryman and warden.
He was a member of the local grange, Patrons of Husbandry.
He married in 1849 Marcelline HOLMES,
daughter of Nathaniel and Tirzah HOLMES.
Mr. TILDEN died April 9, 1903.
HOLMES, mentioned below.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 192 - 193
TITUS, Oliver S., Shortsville, was born at Phelps, May 13, 1843. He received a liberal education, and when 19 years of age he enlisted in Co. C, 148th N. Y. Vols., under Captain Dexter E. CLAPP. This was on August 22, 1862. He was principally employed upon detached service at department headquarters at Fortress Monroe, and was mustered out June 5, 1865. After the war, Mr. TITUS married Francis M. UPHAM, of Sherburne, Chenango county. He resided in Phelps and also in Kirksville, Mo., for a few years. Upon Christmas day, 1874, Mr. TITUS occupied a position with the Empire Drill Company of Shortsville, with which company he has since been identified, and now holds the office of secretary and treasurer. Mr. TITUS is identified with local social, church and benevolent institutions here, such as Royal Templars of Temperance, etc., etc. He has a family of three children, one son of two daughters.
History of Ontario Co., NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II,pg 386-391
All who bear the name of TITUS in America are descended from an ancient and honorable English family. The name is mentioned in various historical works of recognized authority, including Hume's and Macaulay's Histories of England. Burke's "Dictionary of Landed Gentry,: the book of "Family Crests" (Washburn's London), Chauncey's :Historical Antiquities of Hertfordshire", Granger's "Biographical History of England,: and "Harlein Manuscripts,:, etc. The immigrant ancestor of the American branch of this family was supposedly a son of Silas TITUS SR., of Hertfordshire, and if this supposition is correct he was a brother of Colonel Silas TITUS, who served the Royal cause with distinction during the civil war in England, and was the author of a famous pamphlet entitled, "Killing no Murder".
Silas TITIS SR., who died November 24, 1637, married Constancia _____ who died October 22, 1667. Children, Colonel Silas, Stephen and perhaps, Robert.
Robert TITUS, the immigrant ancestor of those of the name hereafter mentioned, was born in 1600, probably in St. Catherine's Parish, near Stansted Abbotts, Hertfordshire, England. He sailed from London, April 3, 1635 and the following entry relative to his migration is to be found in the passenger lists preserved in the public record office, London: "Theis under written names are to be transported to New England, embarked in ye Hopewell, Mr. William BURDICK. The p'ties have brought certificates from the minister and justice of the peace that they are no subsidy men, they have taken oath of all and supremacy. Robert TITUS, Husbandman, of St. Catherine's (aged) 36, Hannah TITUS, uxor 35. Jo TITUS 8, Edmond TITUS 5".
Shortly after their arrival in Boston, Robert TITUS and his family were granted land near Muddy River in what is now the adjoining town of Brookline; but two or three years later they removed to Weymouth, and in 1644 were among the forty families which accompanied Rev. Samuel NEWMAN to Rehoboth, Massachusetts. While a resident of Rehoboth he served as commissioner for the court of Plymouth in 1648-49 and again in 1650 and 1654 and was frequently elected for other positions of trust.
Being charged by the authorities with harboring Quakers, which at that time was regarded as a grave misdemeanor, he notified them of his intention to leave the colony, and in 1654 he removed to Long Island, where he resided the remainder of his life. His widow, Hannah, died in Huntington, Long Island, prior to March 24, 1678-79, on which date her son Content, was appointed her administrator.
Children: 1. John, see forward; 2. Edmond, born in England in 1630, settled in Hempstead, Long Island about 16650; an eminent Quaker, died February 17, 1727; 3. Samuel settled in Huntington; 4. Susanna; 5. Abiel, born in Weymouth, Massachusetts, March 17, 1640, died in 1736-37 and resided in Huntington; 6. Content, born in Weymouth, March 28, 1643, died in Newtown, January 17,1730. John, eldest son of Robert and Hannah TITUS, was born in England about 1627. He was one of the original settlers in what was known as Rehoboth North Purchase, now Attleboro, where he took an active part in civil and religious affairs, and both he and his son John served in King Philip's war. He died April 16, 1689. He married (first) Rachel ________; married (second) Abigail CARPENTER, who survived him and married (second) November 9, 1692, Jonah PALMER Sr. The children of John TITUS were: 1. John, born December 18, 1650, see forward; 2. Abigail, February 18, 1652, married John FULLER on April 25, 1673; 3. Silas, May 18, 1656; 4. Hannah, November 28, 1658, died November12, 1673. The following children were by second wife: 5. Samuel, June 1, 1661, died July 13, 1726; 6. Joseph, March 17, 1665; 7. Mary or Mercy, twin sister to Joseph, married Richard BOWEN on January 9, 1683; 8. Experience, October 9, 1669, married Leonard NEWSOM.
John (2), son of John (1) TITUS, born December 18, 1650, died December 2, 1697. He married (first) Lydia REDWAY and (second) Sarah MILLER. By this second wife, he had among others, John, born March 12, 1678, who married three times, and by his second wife, Mary FISHER, whom he married November 23, 1709, and who died September 19, 1711, had Jonah, see forward.
Jonah, son of John (2) TITUS, born July 10, 1710, married (first) November 28, 1734, Hannah BUTTERWORTH, of Rehoboth, and about 1740 removed to present Washington, Connecticut. His wife died in 1745. He married (second) Mary TOLMAN. Jonas TITUS died May 24, 1783. By the first wife were three children: Judith, Onesimus and Joel, all born in Rehoboth. Oneimus was the ancestor of those who remained in Washington, CT. There were six children by the second wife.
Joel, son of Jonah TITUS, was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, in March and baptized August 24, 1740. He was a blacksmith by trade and for many years followed that calling in Washington, Connecticut. His place of business, known as the Joel TITIS forge, was burned about the beginning of the last century. He subsequently resided for a time with some of his children, and he died about 1820 in Ferrisburg, Vermont, while visiting his daughter Hannah. He served in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars. He was a member of the Church of England and a vestryman of St. John's church in Washington. He married in Washington, September 27, 1762, Mary TREAT, born in Milford, Connecticut, on October 29, 1744, daughter of Samuel (4) TREAT and a descendant of Richard (1) TREAT, through Governor Robert (2) and Joseph (3). Children, all born in Washington, but birth dates are not known; 1. Joel, died at the age of about forty years; 2. Samuel, died in Olean, New York; 3. Peet Treat, died in Mexico, New York; 4. Henry, died in Illinois; 5. Hannah, married a Quaker preacher and resided in Ferrisburg, Vermont; 6. Esther married Gardner GEER and resided in Kent, Connecticut; 7. Sally, married William LYON of Washington, Connecticut; 8. Nabby married a Mr. TROUP and settled in Ashtabula, Ohio; 9. Huldah married Orrin STRONG; 10. Charles married Emma DANIELS and has descendants living in Oneida county, New York; 11. Billy, see forward; 12, Beulah, married Jedediah SMITH and resided in Walworth, New York; 13. Betsey married a Mr. CASE; 14. Margaret or Polly married a Mr. CLARK and resided near Cazenovia, New York; 15. Anson.
Billy, son of Joel and Mary (TREAT) TITUS, was born in Washington, Connecticut, March 2, 1780. He settled at Paris, now Marshall, Oneida county, New York, in 1804, where he found excellent opportunities for the pursuit of his trade, that of Blacksmith and eventually built up an extensive business in Forge Hollow. He died in Marshall, January 4, 1860. He married (first) May 26, 1806, Judith HUESTED, who died November 11, 1829; he married (second) April 4, 1830, Susan DERBY, who died May 9, 1859, aged 64 years. Children: all of the first wife: 1. Sophia, born 1807 died 1808; 2. Anson, see forward; 3. Lucius, born July 28, 1811, settled in Coldwater, Michigan; 4. Sophia, born March 13, 1813, married Adonijah DAY of Deansville (now Deansboro), New York; 5. Horace H., August 4, 1816. Settled in Phelps, New York; 6. Phebe J., December 28, 1818, married James MC ADAM of New York City; 7. Orrin Strong, July 23, 1821, settled in New York City; 8. Juliet, October 27, 1823, married Mark HANCHETT and resided in Chicago, Illinois; 9. Hosea Ballou, January 2, 1826, settled in Waterville, Oneida county, New York; 10. Delos M., May 10, 1828, settled in New York City, died there in 1871.
Anson, eldest son of Billy and Judith (HUESTED) TITUS, was born in Marshall, March 13, 1809, died December 22, 1882. As a skilled mechanic and an inventor of agricultural and other useful appliances, he sought to improve the prosperity of his fellowmen. He located first in Byron, Genesee county, New York, and settled permanently at Phelps, Ontario county, New York. In 1835 he established himself in business on the site now occupied by a laundry, manufacturing stoves, plows, etc. He was the inventor of the Titus No. 9 Pointer Plow, which acquired a high reputation throughout the country, and was awarded a silver medal in 1858 by New York State Agricultural Society, in a contest participated in by nine competitors. More than seven hundred of these plows were produced at his factory in 1860. In 1855 he purchased the Gamwell & Atchley Ax Factory, and carried on the business here until he sold out in 1873. He married June 3, 1834. Almira SABIN, born in Sherburn, Chenango county, New York, January 26, 1810, died November 16, 1888, daughter of Oliver and Olive (UPHAM) SABIN. Olive UPHAM was a daughter of Samuel UPHAM and Abigail (PORTER) UPHAM, and a descendant, in the7th generation, of John UPHAM (1), who arrived in New England in 1635, settling in Weymouth, Massachusetts. Children of Anson and Almira (SABIN) TITUS, the first born in Byron, Genesee county, New York, the second in Wolcott, Wayne county, New York and the others in Phelps, Ontario county, New York: 1. Thomas Benton, born March 2, 1835, settled in Clifton Springs, Ontario county, New York, died there February 15, 1901; 2. Mary Juliet, September 13, 1837, died May 2, 1841; 3. Oliver Sabin, see forward; 4. Billy, April 4, 1845, killed May 12, 1864 on the last day of fighting at the battle of the Wilderness at Spottsylvania, Virginia; 5. Rev. Anson, June 21, 1847, a Universalist clergyman, now a resident of Somerville, Massachusetts and a well known historical writer and lecturer. He married Lucy Tobie MERRILL, of New Gloucester, Maine; 6. Susan Olive, May 5, 1849, married Charles Densel CARR of Phelps, New York; 7. Albert Alberto, February 16, 1852, died October 29 of that year. (NOTE: Buried in Phelps Village Ceme: Anson, Almira, Albert, Billy, Harriet COMBS (wife of Thomas Benton), Thomas Benton and Mary Juliet.).
Oliver Sabin, second son of Anson and Almira (SABIN) TITUS, was born in Phelps, New York, May 13, 1843. He was educated in the public schools of Phelps and the Clinton Liberal Institute, Clinton, Oneida county, New York. In August 1862, when nineteen years old, he enlisted in Co. C, 148th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the army until the close of the rebellion. Soon after his enlistment he was detailed for clerical work in the office of judge advocate of the Department of Virginia and North Carolina, under General Benjamin F. BUTLER, whit headquarters at Fortress Monroe, Old Point Comfort, Virginia, and was finally mustered out at Richmond, Virginia, June 5, 1865, with an honorable record for efficiency and conscientious service. In 1869 he went to Kirksville, Adair county, Missouri, where he engaged in farming, bur subsequently returned to Phelps, and in December 1874, moved to Shortsville, New York as a bookkeeper for Messrs. Hiram L. and Calvin P. BROWN, manufacturers of the Empire Grain Drill, and having been admitted to partnership in 1877 he was thenceforward in charge of the sales and advertising departments. Through his untiring energy and superior ability the business of the concern was rapidly developed, the working force being increased from twenty to two hundred men, and their annual product amounted to more than six thousand drills. When the Empire Drill Company was incorporated in 1884, Mr. TITUS became its secretary and treasurer and he continued to serve as such until 1903, when the enterprise was purchased by the American Seeding Machine Company. Although practically retired from business pursuits he is, nevertheless, interested in certain local enterprises of a profitable nature; he is a member of the banking firm of E. D. Mather & Company and treasurer of the Red Jacket Telephone Company. Mr. TITUS was formerly active in civic affairs, having been chosen the first president of the village of Shortsville, which was incorporated in 1889, and he retained that office for two years. For the past eighteen years he as served as president of the board of education, and for about the same length of time he has been one of the active members of the executive committee of the Manchester Cemetery Association. He is actively identified with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of Canandaigua Lodge, No. 294, Free and Accepted Masons; Excelsior Chapter, No. 164, Royal Arch Masons; Zenobia Commandery, No. 41, Palmyra, New York, and a comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic, being a charter member and past commander of Herendeen Post, NO. 107, and is now serving as its adjutant. He is a member and trustee of the First Universalist church of Clifton Springs, New York. He is president of Herendeen Post Monument Association through whose efforts the fine monument was placed in Brookside Cemetery, Shortsville, New York, in memory of the boys of the towns of Manchester, Farmington and Hopewell who gave their lives during the Civil war, 1861-65.
Mr. TITUS married, February 14, 1866, Frances Marion UPHAM, of Sherburne, Chenango county, New York, daughter of Elijah and Susan (JENKINS) UPHAM, and the eighth generation in descent from John (1) UPHAM, the immigrant. Children: 1. Fred Allen, born in Phelps, New York, January 7, 1867; he was educated in the public school of Shortsville, New York, Clinton Liberal Institute, Fort Plain, New York and Cornell University at Ithaca, New York, and is now a manufacturer of the Star Wheel Barrow Seeder at Shortsville, New York. He married Bertha DARLING, daughter of Bernard P. and Augusta (BOOTH) DARLING, and have two children, Oliver Sabin TITUS 2nd , born May 31, 1899 and Helen Augusta, born June 3, 1903. 2. Bertha, died in infancy; 3. Stella, born in Kirksville, Adair county, Missouri, March 22, 1871; married (first) George Francis SIMONDS, of South Acton, Massachusetts and (second) Harry Kinsman DODGE, of Ipswich, Massachusetts, now living in Pasadena, California. No Children; 4. Mary Wheeler, born in Shortsville, New York, March 11, 1883, married Harry O. FRENCH; They have one son, Dwight Titus FRENCH born October 8, 1907, in Gloversville, New York.
of Ontario County, NY, Pub. 1878, Pg. 214
In the pages of this work may be seen a fine view of the residence of F. N. TOBY, who is to-day living on the farm located by his father, Benjamin TOBY, who emigrated from Massachusetts with his family, consisting of his wife and three children, one son and two daughters, in the year 1816. Mr. F. N. TOBY was ten years of age when his father settled in East Bloomfield. He enjoyed the usual facilities of the common schools of that day until he was fifteen. He remained with his father and assisted on the farm, and at the age of twenty-three he was united in marriage with Miss Marana STEELE. The old people lived with the younger as one family until their death. The death of Mr. Benjamin TOBY occurred in the year 1851. Mr. F.N. TOBY has no children, but he has adopted a son of his deceased sister, who lives with him, and conducts and takes charge of the farm. Mr. TOBY is universally respected and honored by his friends and acquaintances, and now, at the age of seventy years, is in the full enjoyment of all his faculties, and in company with his estimable wife, is tranquilly reposing in the shade of a long and well spent life.
TOBEY, Frederick B., East Bloomfield, was born in East Bloomfield, April 24, 18--, son of Lorenzo Brooks, whose father, Micah Brooks, was a native of Connecticut. The mother of Frederick B. TOBEY was Emeline, daughter of Benjamin TOBEY. She died when subject was quite young, and he was adopted by Frederick N. TOBEY, a brother of his mother, who had no children. Frederick N. TOBEY was born in Massachusetts in 1806, and came to East Bloomfield when 10 years of age. He married Mariana STEELE, sister of Hiram STEELE. Mr. TOBEY was a farmer and lived and died on the farm settled by his father. He served as justice of the peace and constable. Frederick B. TOBEY was reared on the farm he now owns, educated in East Bloomfield Academy and the Collegiate Institute of Rochester. June 23, 1873, he married Sarah HOPKINS, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Henry HOPKINS, of Salem, NY, whose wife was Evelyn HAMLIN, a native of Elyria, O. Mr. HOPKINS and wife had two sons and four daughters. He died in 1890 and his wife in 1889. Mr. and Mrs. TOBEY have had three children: Frederick H., Arthur R. and Charles H. Mr. TOBEY owns 300 acres in East Bloomfield, and has always been a Democrat. He has been assessor for three years, and is a member of Milnor Lodge No. 139 F. & A. M., and also of the Farmers' Alliance at East Bloomfield. He and family are members of the Episcopal church, of which his adopted father was one of the founders. Mr. TOBEY has been a vestryman ever since the church was organized.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 354
TOMPKINS, Vinson E.,
Geneva, the owner and proprietor of the well known Tompkins House in
Geneva, was the son of Ira G. TOMPKINS, a
native of Dutchess county, and a landlord of good reputation in
Ontario county and vicinity, he having kept public house in Naples,
and also at Spencer's Corners before coming to Geneva.
In 1825 Ira G. TOMPKINS came to
Geneva and was foreman in H. L. LUMB's
shoe shop, but in 1844 he became proprietor of the old Geneva House,
which he kept for nearly four years.
The latter is prominently located near the depots, and has
always been made the headquarters for the New York Central and
Lehigh Valley officials, and among the many railway magnates who
have enjoyed the hospitality of this house we may recall the name of
Commodore Cornelius VANDERBILT. Ira G. TOMPKINS opened this house in 1848 and
maintained it until about the time of his death December 29, 1888,
being succeeded in the proprietorship by his son, Vinson
E. TOMPKINS, who is now its owner; and we may say without
exaggeration that the son is the worthy successor of his father, for
the excellence of cuisine at the Tompkins House is well known
throught-out Central New York.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 356
TORREY, Henry H.,
Naples, son of Larned TORRY, was born
in Middlesex, Yates county, January 7, 1820. He was educated at the common schools of that town, and moved
to Marion, Wayne county, in 1868, remaining about six years.
In 1877 he removed to Naples and married Delia
METCALF, who died January 4, 1890, and in July of that year
he married Mary J. BRAYTON, daughter of
Israel BLOOD, of Rushville.
Mr. TORREY has been an active
business man and has taken much interest in politics.
He was highway commissioner one year, constable one year in
TOTMAN, Levi W., Bristol, was born in Bristol, April 7, 1842. His father was Ward TOTMAN, a son of Thomas TOTMAN, who was born August 22, 1763. Ward TOTMAN was born in Warren county, August 12, 1804. When a young man he and his mother removed to Jefferson county, where he married Irene JOINER, of Sullivan, Madison county, a daughter of Benjamin JOINER. She bore him four sons and three daughters. They came to Bristol in 1840, and settled on the farm now owned by the subject. Mrs. TOTMAN died in July, 1863, and Mr. TOTMAN married Hannah M. MOORE, of Watertown. She died in 1887. He and wife were members of the M. E. Church. Mr. TOTMAN died March 23, 1892. Subject of sketch was educated in East Bloomfield Academy. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. K, First N. Y. Mounted Rifles, and served until June, 1865. He was in the following battles: Williamsburg, Suffolk, Deserted House, Weldon Road, and other engagements. He owns 200 acres of land. He has been twice married, first to Zylpha M. MOORE, of East Watertown, Jefferson county, by whom he had the following children: Inez M. (deceased), Morris H. (deceased), Ella M., Florence L., Grace A., and Joel W. Mrs. TOTMAN died February 6, 1883, and November 7 of the same year Mr. TOTMAN married Miss Julia WOODWORTH, of East Watertown, Jefferson county, by whom he has had two children: Ruth, and Oscar who died in infancy. Mr. TOTMAN is a republican and has been highway commissioner one term. He is a member of the Good Templars, and also a member of the G. A. R. Mr. TOTMAN and wife and their two elder daughters are members of the M. E. Church.
TOZER or TOZIER
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 356
TOZIER, James H.,
Naples, was born in the city of New York, April 16, 1863, and came
to Canandaigua in 1865, lived there until 1877, and then removed to
Naples, Ontario county, where he has resided since.
He was educated at the public schools in Canandaigua.
When he first came to Naples he worked on a farm, and
commenced the retail furniture and undertaking business in 1884.
Mr. TOZIER was married April 26,
1887, to Mary BYINGTON, of Naples.
He was elected supervisor of the town of Naples in 1891 and
re-elected in 1892.
TOZER or TOZIER
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 356
TOZIER, George W.,
Gorham, was born in Hopewell, July 13, 1826, a son of John
TOZIER, an early settler of Hopewell, whose first wife was Charlotte
HUBBELL, by whom he had five daughters and a son George
W. His second
wife was Joanna OSBURN by whom he had
two children. Mr.
TOZIER was twice afterwards married.
He came to Gorham and lived a number of years, then went to
Clifton and afterwards to Canandaigua where he died aged
seventy-three years. He was a wagon-maker by trade, and a Democrat and was an
active politician. He
was well read in law and at one time did quite an extensive business
as a pettifogger.
George W. worked with his
father until the latter sold his property in Gorham and has for the
last forty years manufactured carriages and wagons at Reed's
Corners, in which he has been very successful.
He is a Democrat and a member of I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 236 at
TRAVIS, Rufus W., Bristol, was born August 7, 1835, in Bristol. His father was John B., son of Robert L., a native of Orange county, born in 1762, who when a young man, went to Pike county, Pa., where he married and had four sons and three daughters. Here he spent his life, and for 18 years lived with his son, John B. TRAVIS, and finally went to Port Jervis, where he died in 1859. John B. TRAVIS was born in Pike county, Pa., September 1, 1812. In 1830 he came to Bristol, and married in 1833, Maria YOUNG of Canandaigua, born January 28, 1814, a daughter of Israel YOUNG, a native of Cattaraugus county, and an early settler of Canandaigua, and they had three sons and three daughters. Mrs. TRAVIS died June 30, 1844, and September 15, 1844. Mr. TRAVIS married Louisa TOWER of Bristol, by whom he had a son and a daughter. He died September 6, 1857, and his wife died in 1872. Rufus W. was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools of Bristol. Except for 18 years of his life spent as harness-maker, he has been a farmer. Mr. TRAVIS married, July 29, 1855, Sallie M. GARDNER, born in Bristol, August 23, 1836. She was a daughter of Richard GARDNER of Bristol. September 9, 1862, Mr. TRAVIS enlisted in Co. H, 4th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, and served until August 3, 1865. He was on garrison duty until March, 1864, when he went into the field. He participated in the following battles: Wildnerness, NY River, Strawberry Lawn, Reams Station, Petersburg, Deep Bottom. August 25, 1864, at Reams Station, Mr. TRAVIS was taken prisoner, and for three and a half months was confined Libbie and Belle Isle prisons. When released he went into the commissary department at Annapolis, and June 1, 1865, was transferred to Baltimore, and was clerk in the headquarters office at the Jarvis General Hospital, where he was discharged at the close of the war. Mr. TRAVIS returned to Bristol, and except four years in Nebraska, his life has been spent in that town. He now owns 131 acres, and follows general farming and hop growing, having fifteen acres of hops. Mr. TRAVIS is a Republican, and in 1880 and ' 81 was collector of Bristol, and in 1890-93 was elected justice of the peace. He and wife are members of the Royal Templars of Temperance of Bristol Centre. Mr. TRAVIS is a member of the G. A. R. Lillie Post, 303. They have 7 children, of whom two died in infancy, Addie and Cozy, and those living are: William B., educated in Canandaigua Academy, was a teacher many years, but at present is a commercial traveler. He married Jennie CRANDALL of Bristol, by whom he had two children: Grace E., and Fred A. The second child was George R., educated in Canandaigua. He married Anna GARRISON, and had three children: Louis E., Mary A., Etta C. George R. was a teacher, but at present is engaged with the Geneva Optical Co. John R. was educated in Canandaigua. He is at present one of the firm of Travis & Moore, of Belding, Mich. Mary L. was educated in Geneva Union and Classical School, Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, and graduated at Geneseo Normal and Training School in 1891, and has since been a primary teacher in Belding, Mich. Charles R., the youngest child, is at home.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 355
TREAT, Fred E., of 72
Bristol street, Canandaigua, was born in South Bristol, June 27,
1857, a son of Richard S., who has made
his home in Bristol for 40 years.
He is a native of Vermont, and has always followed the
carpenter's trade. He
has three children: Richard S. Jr., a
carpenter of Canandaigua; Flora A., of
South Bristol; and Fred E.
Until 1878 the latter made his home in South Bristol.
He was educated in the common schools and Naples Academy, and
on leaving school took up the trade of his father.
In 1878 he came to Canandaigua, where he was employed by
Contractor King six years, and followed various other employments
until October, 1889, when he took his first contract, and since then
has built some of the best residences and public buildings in this
section. During 1892 he
built a saloon and residences in Canandaigua, the Dwyer block, one
of the finest in the town, the Quigley block, and four residences,
besides repair work. He
is a Mason and also a republican.
He married in 1884 Cora M.,
daughter of Calvin CRANE, a farmer of
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 186
Canandaigua, was born in Munroe, Orange county, June 14, 1836.
His father, Stephen, was a native of the same county, where
he was born February 23, 1808.
He was a son of David, a native of Orange county, who had
8 children, of whom Stephen was the oldest.
He was for 12 years superintendent of the Townsend Iron
Works in Orange County, and in May, 1837, came to Ontario county to
superintend a farm of 749 acres owned by Townsend in Bristol, a
position he filled until April 2, 1847, when he bought a farm on the
Academy Tract of Elam W. CRANE.
He was a republican and a supporter of the church, and at the
time of the establishing and building of the Union church he was
treasurer of the society. By
Stephen's death (June 13, 1887) this section lost one of its most
prominent men; liberal and charitable to a fault and honored and
respected by all who knew him.
He married when about 28 years of age, Hannah
DAVENPORT of Orange county, and had four children; the two sons only
survive: John D., a farmer of Chapinville; and
Jeremiah our subject.
The boyhood of Jeremiah was spent on the farm in Bristol,
where he was educated in the common schools and assisted on the farm
until 1884, when he bought the farm of his father, and has since
been the owner. For 15 years previous he had conducted the farm on shares for his
father. Mr. TRICKEY has
always taken an active interest in public affairs.
He has always been in active business, and in addition to
farm duties has been an extensive buyer of stock in the west and at
home. He married March
27, 1859, Keziah A., daughter of Cyrus COVILLE of South Bristol, and
they had three children: Cyrus, a merchant of Academy;
of John SUTTON; and Sarah, wife of Irva PHILLIPS, who works the
homestead farm for Mr. TRICKEY.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 353
Canandaigua, was born on the homestead in Academy, May 6, 1860, the
only son of Jeremiah TRICKEY.
He was educated in the common schools and at Canandaigua
Academy under Prof. N. T. CLARKE, and
assisted on his father's farm until he was 25 years of age.
In 1884 he was appointed postmaster for the Academy office,
and the next year built a store here which he has since conducted.
He carries a general line of merchandise of all kinds, and
controls the trade of Southern Canandaigua, and of Bristol and South
Bristol. He has always
taken an active interest in the Republican party, but has never been
an aspirant for office. He
married, November 28, 1883, Anna L.,
daughter of Harrison PHILLIPS, of
Canandaigua, and they have three children: Hazel
L., born February 2, 1886; Katie A.,
born November 28, 1888; and Alma, born
July 6, 1892. In
addition to his store Mr. TRICKEY conducts
a farm of 123 acres in Canandaigua, and also owns a residence and
lot of seven acres near Academy school-house.
TRIMBLE, Robert D., Gorham, was born in Wayne county, November 11, 1840, a son of John and Jane TRIMBLE, natives of Scotland, who had 7 sons and 2 daughters. About 1820 they settled on a farm in Wayne county. The mother died in 1854 and the father in 1867. Robert D. was educated in Auburn High School, and resided in Wayne county until 20 years of age, when he went to Webster and there in 1863 married Frances, daughter of Benjamin H. RANDOLPH, of Monroe county, and they had two daughters, Robertie F., and Edith L. In 1863 Mr. TRIMBLE enlisted in the 1st N. Y. Veteran Cavalry, serving two years, and was for 18 months color bearer. He was at Winchester, Strassburg, Fisher's Hill, New Market, Piedmont, and other skirmishes. At the close of the war he engaged in farming in Webster until 1887 when he purchased 160 acres in Gorham. He is a breeder of Jersey cattle. He deals extensively in apples and in red and black raspberries. He has the only evaporator in the town, and last season evaporated between 5,000 and 10,000 bushels of apples, and from two to three tons of raspberries. Mr. TRIMBLE is a republican and has been commissioner of highways several terms. He and family are members of the Baptist Church at Middlesex. He was deacon of the Webster Baptist Church for some years. He is a member of the G. A. R. No. 672 at Webster, and of the A. O. U. W. at Rushville.
of Ontario Co, NY & Its People, Pub. 1911, Vol. II, pg. 45-46
who has been connected with educational matters in various
capacities for many years, and who has introduced many innovations
and improvements, is of English descent.
grandfather of William Henry TRUESDALE,
was a contractor and builder in England
son of James TRUESDALE, was born in
the northern part of England, and came to America in 1824, when he
was a young man. He
settled in the vicinity of Rochester, New York, shortly after his
arrival in this country, purchased a farm and engaged in its
cultivation as his life work. He
married Charity CUMMINGS and had 7
sons and 2 daughters.
son of Samuel and Charity (CUMMINGS)
TRUESDALE, was born near Rochester, New York, October 30,
1844. His elementary
education was acquired in the district school and at private
academies, and he then prepared for college in the Benedict
Classical School in Rochester.
He too the arts course in the University of Rochester, was
graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and two years later
the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him.
Hen then commenced the study of law and was admitted to the
bar in 1869. He never
practiced law but devoted himself to the profession of teaching.
This he commenced in rural schools and became the principal
of Nunda Academy in 1870, holding the position until 1875.
From 1875 to 1880, he was principal of the schools in Olean,
New York and then held a similar position in the high school at
Jamestown, New York. During
this time he held this latter position he also conducted a
manufacturing business until 1885.
The next five years were devoted to his duties as principal
of the Mohawk high school, and in May 1891, was elected
superintendent and principal, a position he is still filling with
honor and dignity. In
political matters he affiliates with the republican party, and he is
a member of the Presbyterian church.
His fraternal affiliations are with the Ark Lodge, No. 33,
Free and Accepted Masons of Geneva, New York; University Club;
Interstate Council of School Men.
Mr. TRUESDALE married
at Rochester, New York, December 23, 1869,
Agnes E., born in Rochester, daughter of Robert
and Esther (HANVEY) YOUNG, of Rochester.
Children: 1. T. Elliott, a
practicing attorney of Geneva, married Anna
KNIGHT of Geneva and has one son, Richard
K.; 2. Emily Agnes, married
Rev. W. S. WATSON, rector of the St. Michael�s Episcopal
Church of Brooklyn, New York and has three sons,,
William T., Thomas Y. and George H. ; 3. Ella
Kate, living at home. Both daughters are graduates of Wells College.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 186 - 187
Geneva, was born in the town of Seneca (now Geneva) August 7, 1828.
He was educated in the public schools and has always followed
farming. Mr. TURCK is
not married. His
father, Andrew, was born in the town of Guilderland, Albany county,
in 1798, and came here with his parents in 1807.
In early life he was a glass-blower and afterwards a farmer.
He married Catherine TURNER of Geneva, formerly of his native
place, and they had 11 children: Abram,
Elizabeth, who died aged 7 years; Andrew J., James, Henry, Catherine, Sophia, Frederick,
George, who died
recently; Amelia and Margaret.
He died November 25, 1888, and his mother in 1857.
His father's brother, Samuel TURCK, resides with
Frederick TURCK, aged 87 years.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 194
TURCK, M. D., William, Clifton Springs, was born in Ontario county, October 5, 1858. He received an academic education, and eventually graduated from the Buffalo Medical College in 1886. He commenced practicing his profession at Orleans, this county, and after one year moved to Clifton Springs, where he enjoys a lucrative practice. Dr. TURCK married Emma WILLIAMSON.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 232 - 233
William R. TURNBULL, assessor of Seneca township, Ontario county, New York, is a member of a
family which was among the pioneer settlers of the county, and the
various generations of which have been closely identified with its
agricultural interests. Thoroughly
conversant with the details of farming and sheep raising, honorable
and high-minded in all the different phases of life, he occupies an
enviable position among his fellow townsmen, who willingly accord to
him a place in their first ranks.
Adam TURNBULL, grandfather of the above mentioned, came to Seneca township in 1801,
and settled on the farm which is still in the possession of the
family. At that time
the land was in a wild and uncultivated condition, and Mr.
TURNBULL was an important factor in introducing measures
which tended to the general improvement of the community.
Alexander, son of
Adam TURNBULL, was born on the
homestead in 1818, and died there in 1895.
He married Elizabeth BURRELL,
who died in 1901. Children:
Mary J.; William R., see
forward; Thomas E.; Margaret Elizabeth,
married John McCARTNEY, and resides
in Rochester, New York.
William R., son of Alexander and Elizabeth ( BURRELL )
TURNBULL, was born on the family homestead in Seneca
township, Ontario county, New York, December 5, 1857.
He was educated in the district school, and after being
graduated from this, spent two years in the old Canandaigua Academy,
and left it excellently equipped for business as well as farming
life. Until his
marriage he, his brother and his father worked hand-in-hand in
making the homestead farm as productive as conditions would permit;
upon his marriage, however, one hundred acres of this land were set
out for his special portion, and he devoted his time and attention
exclusively to that part of the homestead.
In addition to farming he devoted a considerable part of his
time and land to sheep raising, and in this branch of industry has
met with remarkable success. From time to time he has enlarged his output in various
directions, and the annual revenue from his farm is a constantly
increasing one. He is
one of the most progressive farmers in his section of the country,
examining carefully every new device and invention that is placed on
the market in the interests of land cultivation and its kindred
branches, and when he has given them a fair trial or has seen them
amply demonstrated he is ready to install them. He has had a beautiful house built upon his land, fitted with
all modern improvements, such as steam heat, acetylene light, etc.,
in which he and his family are surrounded by all the influences of a
refined home life. His
fraternal associations are with the Order of Maccabees, while his
political views are those of the Republican party.
He and his family are members of No. 9 Presbyterian church.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 353
the late Thomas C., was born on the
homestead April 22, 1817, was educated in the public schools, and
was a farmer. December
31, 1845, he married Nancy M. ELLIS, of
Victor, and they had five children: Henry E.,
Isabel C., Jennie S., Emmettt B. who died at the age of 16
years, and William H. was born May 2,
1862, was educated in the public schools and is one of Victor's
enterprising farmers. He
married Lizzie E. NORTH, of
Canandaigua, and they have one son, L. Ellis,
born November 14, 1885. His
wife died March 28, 1886. Thomas
C. died February 27, 1874.
Horace, father of Thomas
C., was a soldier in the War of 1812.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 187 - 188
TUTTLE, the late Anson, Farmington, father of Richard A., was born in the town of Seneca, August 9, 1822. He was educated in the district schools, and after his father sold his farm became a wood-worker in the railway shops at Canandaigua. October 7, 1856, he married Amanda M., daughter of Wilmarth and Saloma SMITH, of Farmington. They had 6 children: Caroline A. married Carl C. HERENDEEN, of Macedon; Annie I. married Edward W. STEPHENSON, of Farmington; Mary A.; Joseph W., who married Elizabeth C. PADGHAM, and have two children, Mary E. and J. Eugene; Richard, who resides on the homestead with his mother; and Nettie E., who died December 17, 1882. Mrs. TUTTLE's father, Wilmarth SMITH, was born in this town on the farm now owned by Cole Brothers, known as the "stock farm," which was part of the original purchase, and the part now owned by Amanda M. TUTTLE was also part of the same purchase, on April 13, 1792; she was the second white child born in the town. In 1812 he married Saloma EDDY, of Northampton, Mass., and had 11 children. Her grandfather, Jonathan SMITH, was born in North Addison, Vt., about the year of 1770, and married Lydia WILMARTH, of his native place. They had these children: Wilmarth, Asa, Orrin and Amanda. Mrs. TUTTLE's brothers and sisters were: Dollie, Daniel P., Chloe P., Abel W., Annie H., Lydia E., Nancy H., Amanda M., Mary M., Darius C. and Orrin B. Mrs. TUTTLE's father, Wilmarth, was in the War of 1812.
of Ontario County & Its People, Vol II, Pub 1911
pg 135 � 140
The word TUTHILL,
meaning a conical hill, is a common place name in England, of more
antiquity. From one or
more places named Tuthill, the surname TUTHILL
or TUTTLE is derived, after a prevalent custom in the 12th
century and later when surnames came into use in England.
The family has been especially prominent in Devonshire,
There came to America in 1635. in the
ship �Planter�, three families of this name from the Parish of
St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England.
John, William and Richard TUTTLE,
the heads of these families, were doubtless brothers.
John TUTTLE, mercer, aged 39, according to the
passenger list in 1635, settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts,; was in
Ireland in 1654 and probably fell sick there, for his wife went to
Carrickfergus, Ireland, and wrote April 6, 1657, that he died there
on December 30 ,1656. Richard TUTTLE, aged 52,
settled in Boston, where he died May 8, 1640.
Henry TUTTLE was in Hingham,
Massachusetts, in 1635, coming with his brother John;
Henry removed to Southold, Long Island.
John returned to England and
settled at Weybread, Suffolk county.
Still another John TUTTLE came
in the ship, �Angel Gabriel� and settled in Dover, New
immigrant ancestor came from St. Albans parish, Hertfordshire,
England, on the ship, �Planter� in April 1635 with his brothers John
and Richard and their families.
He stated his age was 26.
His wife Elizabeth, aged 23,
and children: John, aged 3 and a
half, and Thomas aged 3 months, came
at the same time. His
occupation was given as husbandman.
His wife joined the church at Boston, August 14, 1636.
as early as 1635, he was granted liberty to build a windmill
at Charlestown ,ad was a proprietor of that town in 1636.
His wife was dismissed to the church in Ipswich, September 8,
1639, and the doubtless lived there for a time.
He was a part owner of the ketch �Zebulon,� of Ipswich
and was associated to some extent in business with John
TUTTLE of Ipswich. He and John owned land deeded
them by George GRIGGS for debt, and
the same George GRIGGS gave him a
mortgage of house and land on Beacon street, Boston, October 8,
1650, after TUTTLE had moved to New
Haven. About 1639,
TUTTLE moved to Quinnipiac, later called New Haven (Ct).
In 1641 he was the owner of the home lot of Edward
HOPKINS, who had removed to Hartford.
This lot was on the square bounded by Grove, State, Elm and
Church streets. In 1656, TUTTLE bought of Joshua
ATWATER his original allotment, mansion house and barn with
other lands. He made
his home there until his death, and his widow after him, until her
death, a period of 28 years. At
the time of his death it was appraised at � 120.
He shared in the division of common lands in 1640 and
afterward. William TUTTLE and Mr. GREGSON
were the first owners of land at East Haven, Connecticut, and Mr.
TUTTLE surveyed and laid out the road from the ferry at Red
Rock to Stony River. His
land there was bounded by a line running form the old ferry (where
the new bridge over the Quinnipiac now is) eastward to a spring
where issues the small stream called Tuttle�s Brook, thence south
along this brook to GREGSON�S land
at Solitary Cove, thence west to a point on the New Haven Harbor
near the chemical works and Fort Hale, thence north along the harbor
to the point of beginning. It included Tuttle�s Hill.
In 1659 he became owner of land at North Haven.
He sold or conveyed to his children most of his property
before he died. Judging
form the seat he was assigned in the meetinghouse, he was among the
foremost men of New Haven as early as 1646-147.
He was interested in the projected settlement from New Haven
on the Delaware, which failed on account of the opposition of the
Dutch in New Netherlands. He
filled many positions of trust and responsibility in the colony; was
commissioner to decide on an equivalent to those who received
inferior meadow lands in the first allotment; was fence viewer in
1644; road commissioner in 1646; commissioner to settle the dispute
as to boundary between New Haven and Branford in 1669 and to fix the
bounds of New Haven, Milford, Branford and Wallingford in 1672.
He was often a juror and arbitrator; was constable in
1666-67. He died early
in June 1673. His
inventory was dated June 6, 1673.
His wife died December 30, 1684, aged 72 years.
She had been living with her youngest son, Nathaniel,
who presented her will, but the other children objected and it was
not allowed. The
inventory of her estate is dated February 3, 1685.
Her gravestone was removed with the others in 1821 from the
Old Green to the Gove street cemetery, and it now stands in a row
along the north wall of the cemetery, but part of the inscription is
John, born in England, 1631; Hannah,
baptized in Charles town, Mass.,
April 7, 1658; David, baptized in
Charlestown, April 7, 1659; Joseph,
baptized in New Haven, November 22, 1640; Sarah,
baptized April 1642; Elizabeth,
November 9, 1645; Simon, March 28,
1647; Benjamin, October 29, 1648; Mercy,
April 27, 1650 and Nathaniel,
February 29, 1652.
Joseph, son of
William TUTTLE, was baptized in New Haven, November 22, 1640
and died in September 1690. In
1865 he was excused from watching on account of lameness and the
same year, declined to serve as constable for the same reason.
He married May 2, 1667, Hannah
MUNSON, born June 11, 1648, died November 30, 1695, dau of
Captain Thomas MUNSON.
She married 2ndly, August 21, 1694, Nathan
BRADLEY of Guilford, Connecticut.
Children: Joseph, mentioned
below, Samuel born July 15, 1670-71;
Stephen, May 20, 1673;
Joanna, December 30 ,1676; Timothy,
September 30, 1678; Susanna,
February 20, 1679; Elizabeth, July
12, 1683; Hannah, May 14, 1685, died young; Hannah,
baptized February 26, 1689.
Joseph (2), son
of Joseph (1) TUTTLE, was born March
18, 1666 and was a cordwainer by trade.
He married in Milford, Conn., November 10, 1691, Elizabeth
SANFORD, born 1671, daughter of
Thomas and Elizabeth (Paine) SANFORD.
He lived in East Haven and was prominent in town affairs.
Children: Joseph, mentioned
below; Noah, born December 12, 1694;
Katharine, November 25, 1699; Elizabeth,
July 27, 1705; Thankful, September
3, 1709; child.
(IV) Joseph (3),
son of Joseph (2) TUTTLE, was born
November 10, 1692. He
was captain of the train band at East Haven.
In 1742 he was confirmed by the general assembly as
quartermaster of the 2nd Regiment.
In 1745-46 he was moderator, and served several years on the
school committee. He
married Mercy, daughter of John
and Merchy (Mansfield) THOMPSON.
She was born February 21, 1696, and died September 6, 1743.
He married 2nd, Sarah
WASHBURN, widow. He
was of Derby in 1751. In
1743-53, he bought lands in Litchfield county, Conn.
He died January 16, 1761.
He left a will and estate valued at �2,722, much of it real
estate. Children: Joel,
born October 18, 1718; Mary, December 22, 1720; Amy, 1726, died young; Mercy,
September 17, 1739; Comfort, 1732;
Joseph, 1734; Samuel 1741;
Joseph, married Hannah TWITCHELL;
Amy married Benjamin HARGAR; and Benjamin, mentioned below.
Benjamin, son of Joseph
(3) TUTTLE, was born at East Haven, Connecticut or vicinity.
He settled in Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York.
In 1790 he was the only head of family of this name in
Ontario county and he had two males over 16, one under that age and
four females in his family. He
was overseer of highways at Seneca, Ontario county in 1793.
son of Benjamin TUTTLE, came with
his father to Seneca, before 1793.
He helped clear the land and built a home for the family.
He was one of the sturdy pioneers who laid the foundations of
civilization in this section. He
married (Amy REED) and had children:
Richard T., Elizabeth, Catherine, Reed and
(VII) Anson S., son
of Joseph (4) TUTTLE, was born in
Seneca, August 9, 1822 and died in 1902 (Orthodox Ceme. in
Farmington). He was educated in the district schools and after his father
sold his farm, he followed the trade of carpenter and woodworker.
He was pattern maker and woodworker for some years in the
railroad shops at Canandaigua.
He married October 7, 1856, Amanda
M. SMITH, who was born on the SMITH homestead,
now owned by Richard A. TUTTLE,
mentioned below. Her
father, Wilmarth SMITH, was born on
the same farm, April 13, 1792. Wilmarth
SMITH married in 1812 to Saloma EDDY
of Northampton, Mass., and they had 11 children.
He was a soldier of the War of 1812.
Jonathan SMITH, father of Wilmarth,
was born at North Addison, Vermont in 1770, married Lydia
WILMARTH of that town and had
Wilmarth, Asa, Orrin, and Amanda SMITH.
Children of Wilmarth and
Saloma (Eddy) SMITH: Dolly, Daniel P., Chloe P., Abel W., Annie H.,
Lydia E., Nancy H., Amanda M. mentioned above, Mary
M., Darius C. and Orrin M. B. SMITH.
Children of Anson and Amanda M.
(Smith) TUTTLE: 1. Caroline A.,
married Carl C. HERENDEEN of Macedon; 2. Annie I.,
married Edward W. STEPHENSON, of
Farmington; 3. Mary A., married Charles
W. HERENDEEN; 4. Joseph W.,
mentioned below; 5. Richard A.,
mentioned below; 6. Nettie E., died
December 17, 1882.
son of Anson S. TUTTLE, was born in
the town of Farmington, NY, January 9, 1860.
He was educated in the public schools of his native town and
at the Canandaigua Academy, and supplemented his schooling by
constant reading and study. He
was from early youth active on his father�s farm, gifted with
energy and strong purposes and a capacity for hard work.
As a man he has followed farming with uniform success.
His farm consists of 68 acres of land, thoroughly
under-drained and very productive.
In politics he is a republican, and he has taken an active
part in public affairs and has been honored with many positions of
trust and responsibility. Four
4 years he was town clerk, and by virtue of his office and efficient
member of the town board. Afterward
he served three terms as supervisor of the town and was for 6 years,
a member of the town board and county board of supervisors, a member
of important committees and influential and prominent throughout the
country. He is a member
of Farmington Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and of the Society of
Friends. He married
November 26, 1879, Elizabeth C. PADGHAM,
born in Farmington, November 6, 1860, daughter of Joseph
1. Mary E., born October 23, 1882,
married William H. WHITE &
resides in Connecticut; 2. Joseph E.,
born May 7, 1890, married Maggie COOPER
on November 6, 1910. He
was educated in the schools of Victor and Cornell, NY, now engaged
(IX) Richard A., son of Anson S.
was born at Farmington, November 28, 1864.
He was educated in the public schools of his native town.
During his boyhood, he worked on his father�s farm, and at
the age of 19, he succeeded to the farm.
In 1897 he sold it to his brother,
Joseph W. TUTTLE, and bought out the other heirs of his
mother�s farm, the SMITH
homestead, consisting of 93 acres and since then has followed
farming on this place. In
politics he is a republican. He
is a member of the Orthodox Friend�s Society and active in church
work. He married
December 8, 1897, Lucy WHIPPLE, born
in Farmington, November 22, 1876, only child of Franklin
and Carrie (Cotton) WHIPPLE.
Her father, Franklin WHIPPLE,
was born at
Farmington in 1852; was a decorator and painter, a republican in
politics and am member of the Orthodox Friends Society; married in
1874, Carrie COTTON, who was born
February 28, 1852. F.
H. COTTON, father of Carrie COTTON, was born in Farmington in
1820 and died in 1903; was a republican, a member of the Orthodox
Friends; owned a farm of 145 acres at Farmington. The great grandmother of Mrs. TUTTLE,
on the maternal side, was Jane
CHEESEBOROUGH, born in Genesee county in June 1826 and died
January 29, 1894. Isaac
COTTON, father of F. H. COTTON,
married Charity BENNETT and died in
1862. Children of Mr.
and Mrs. TUTTLE: Anson H., born at Farmington, July 24, 1894;
Richard F., born February 25, 1902.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy] [ALHN]