Welcome to Ontario County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the link above.
If you would like to submit a biography to be posted to this site, please contact me.
Owned, Transcribed and Contributed by Dianne Thomas. Some transcribed by Deborah Spencer & Donna Judge
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg. 194 - 197
UPTON, Hon. William W., now of Washington, D. C., one of the most distinguished men whom Ontario county has produced, was born in Victor, July 11, 1817, of a family, for two generations, among the most prominent in that town. His father, James UPTON (For a full account of these UPTONS, their ancestors and kindred, see W. H. UPTON's "UPTON Family Records": London, 1893.), came to Victor from Charlemont, Mass., in 1797, and shortly afterwards brought to his new home his widowed mother, Catherine (HARTWELL) UPTON, his brother David, and his sisters Sarah, wife of Israel BLOOD, and Joanna. The brother David removed to Michigan, where his descendants still reside. The sister Joanna married, successively, Norman BRACE and Isaac MARSH, both of Victor, and reared 22 adopted children, but none of her own. James UPTON, long a prominent figure in Victor, who was born in 1779, and died in 1857, married in 1808 Olive, daughter of Samuel and Lucy (TRACY) BOUGHTON, of Victor. He very early acquired by purchase from his brother-in-law, Israel BLOOD, one of the finest farms in the county, the well known "UPTON Homestead," situated about a mile from Victor village, and afterwards occupied by his son Josiah and his daughter Mary E. MOORE, and now in the possession of Jedediah HAWKINS. Upon this farm James UPTON spent a long and useful life. He was frequently chosen to fill important local offices, and was a man of much influence in the county. He reared a large family of children and was able to afford them a good education, and to present each of them the then large sum of $2,000 when they successively went forth from the paternal roof-tree. Of these children, 5 were intimately connected with the history of Victor, viz: Josiah W. UPTON, of Victor, born 1812; was prominent in all affairs of the town until his death in 1888. James UPTON, born 1815; died in Rochester, NY, where his son, Clarence E. UPTON, now resides. Mary Emeline UPTON, who married William C. MOORE. Charles E. UPTON, of Rochester, born 1833; died 1886.
William W. UPTON, was pre-eminently the scholar of the family, and from his earliest years a love of learning, for its own sake, was, perhaps, his most prominent characteristic. After securing such education as the neighborhood afforded, including a course at the Lima Seminary, and mastering the art of surveying, he taught school for a short time in Bloomfield; but, warned by the condition of his health to seek more active employment, in 1838 he went to La Grange county, Ind., under contract to survey and make estimates for a canal. Failing to receive the compensation due him there, he went the same year to Victor, Mich., where his father owned some "wild" land. He made this trip on foot, carrying his clothing, surveying instruments and ---characteristic of the man --- "about ten pounds of books" on his back. He immediately went to work clearing his father's land, as well as some which he and his brother James secured, hired oxen, planted a crop, and built himself a comfortable log house, besides surveying for the neighbors, taking part in town meetings, building a wolf trap, etc. Sundays he devoted to his books, among which were Voltaire's "Charles XII." (in French) and Burns's "Poems." In September he was driven back to his native town by the famous "Michigan ague." He taught school in the district west of Victor village that autumn, and a year later was employed as surveyor in the construction of a canal near Buffalo. In 1840 he married in Victor, NY, and began the practice of law in Victor, Mich. His ability and industry soon gained him a prominent place at the bar of his adopted State, and he was frequently chosen to positions of trust. He was supervisor of Victor (Mich.), 1840-5; surveyor of Clinton county, 1841-5; county treasurer, 1845-7; and a member of the Legislature which made Lansing the capital. He was appointed district attorney for Ingham county in 1848, and was elected to the same office for two terms of two years each, in 1849 and 1851. He had removed to De Witt in 1845, and to Lansing, in which city he built the first house which was not of logs, in 1847. Although by this time Mr. UPTON's success in life was assured, and no young man in Michigan seemed to have a more brilliant political future before him, the wonderful tales of the new land of gold, the fascinating perils of the trip across the plains, and his own sagacious conception of the great future of the Pacific Coast, led Mr. UPTON to resign his office, and set out in April, 1852, with his little family for California. In that State he practiced his profession with great success, first at Weaverville and later at Sacramento, whither he removed in 1855. In 1856 he was a member of the Legislature. In 1861 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Sacramento county, a position which he held till 1864. The ill health of his family compelled him in the latter year to decline becoming a candidate for Congress, and in 1865 to remove to Portland, Oregon. Thither his reputation had preceded him. He at once took a foremost position at the bar, and was almost immediately elected to the Legislature. From this time forward he was a power in the political and social life of Oregon. In 1867 Mr. UPTON was appointed a justice of the Supreme Court of Oregon. In 1868 he was elected to the same position for a term of six years; he became chief justice in 1872. At the expiration of his term of office, financial reverses compelled him to decline a re-nomination and resume the practice of his profession. In 1877 he was appointed second comptroller of the treasury of the United States, and removed to Washington, D. C. His new position was practically a judicial one, and a court of last resort (the comptroller's decisions being reversible by act of Congress only); and Judge UPTON filled it with great credit through three administrations, passing upon nearly one hundred and sixty claims and accounts, involving about six hundred millions of dollars. Upon the inauguration of CLEVELAND, Judge UPTON tendered his resignation, and retiring from office at the age of 68, he has since June 1, 1885, continued the practice of his profession in Washington City. Early in 1885 the government published his "Digest of Decisions of the Second Comptroller of the Treasury, 1869 to 1884." Of the 45 years of what we may call his active life, he spent 33 in public office, yet he was never defeated in an election. He is a Freemason of rank, a Knight Templar, and a thirty-third degree Scottish Rite; and his course in every relation of life has ever been guided by the three great lights of that ancient craft. We cannot close our sketch without a further reference to the one thing that perhaps characterizes Judge UPTON more than any other, his love of learning for its own sake. This made him, from his youth, distinctively a student. While it was always a source of regret to him that his career was not based on the substantial foundation of a collegiate education, he early acquired, by his own industry, a better education than that possessed by most university men. He was twice married. His first wife, Maria Amanda, daughter of Joseph and Amanda (ADAMS) HOLLISTER of Victor, whom he married in that town February 8, 1840, died at Sacramento, December 24, 1858. His second wife, Marietta, daughter of Amasa and Alida Ann (KETCHAM) BRYAN, whom he married at East Avon, March 29, 1860, still lives. Of his 11 children, the six who survived infancy have all visited Victor, and have many friends in our county. They were: James Boughton UPTON, of Oretown, Oregon, born 1844; is a lawyer retired from practice; a Freemason. Has issue. Charles Backus UPTON, of Walla Walla, Washington, born in 1845; a lawyer and large landowner. Unmarried. Marietta UPTON, born 1848; died in Washington, D. C., unmarried, 1880. William Henry UPTON, of Walla Walla, Washington, born 1854. Graduated at Yale 1877. He is judge of the Supreme Court, a F. R. S. A., member of numerous learned societies; a Royal Arch Mason, a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite, etc. Has issue. George Whitman UPTON, of Warren, Ohio, born 1857; a lawyer. Ralph Richard UPTON, of Washington, D. C., born 1869; graduated at Yale, 1892.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 199
UPTON, James, Victor, father of Clarence H., was born in Victor, where J. W. HAWKINS now resides, April 14, 1816. He was educated in the public schools and at Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, and followed farming for some time, also taught school several years. The family moved to Rochester in 1855. He was a railway contractor there for many years, and in politics was a republican, and served two years in the common school. He served in that capacity on several important committees. He was also a candidate of his party for the State Legislature, but Rochester being Democrat at that time he was defeated by a small majority. July 3, 1844, he married Elmira E., daughter of Jeremiah and Mahala HAWKINS of his native county, educated at Ontario Female Seminary, Canandaigua, and at Lima, and they had one son, Clarence H. The latter was born August 24, 1845, and was educated in the public and select schools of Rochester, and studied one year at Yale University. He is a real estate operator, and resides with his mother on East Avenue. His father died February 23, 1866, mourned by a bereaved widow and son, and many relatives and a large circle of friends. James UPTON Sr., grandfather of Clarence H., was born in Charlemont, Mass., February 19, 1779, and removed to Victor about 1799. April 21, 1808, he married Olive BOUGHTON, who was born in 1793. Her ancestors came from Wales, and were of French extraction. He was a man of decided character and an active worker in the church, and contributed liberally toward the first Methodist church that was built in Victor.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 357
Canandaigua, was born in Williamson, Wayne county, March 3, 1813.
His father (also named William)
was born in Maryland in 1776.
He conducted a mill in Maryland, and when he came to this
State first located in Steuben county. William UTTLEY Sr., died in
1840. He married Hannah, daughter of Mathew
MARTIN of Virginia, who afterwards located in Chapinville.
They had 9 children, all deceased but
William, our subject.
When the latter was 14 years of age he came to Canandaigua,
and spent five years with Judge HOWELL,
and was nine years in the employ of Jared
worked John GREGG's farm for 9 years,
and in the spring of 1858 bought 66 acres of the GREGG
farm in Hopewell, and in the fall of 1869 moved to East
Bloomfield where he conducted a farm for 18 months, and then went
to Lima, Livingston county. Returning
in 1872 he bought a farm of 99 acres in Canandaigua, where he has
ever since made his home. Mr.
UTTLEY is a republican.
He married in 1837 Betsey,
daughter of Lewis WICKS, of
Middlesex, Yates county, and they had 8 children, three of whom
are living: Jared Wilson, and John Mosher,
who conducts the homestead farm, and
Margaret, who also lives at home.
Mrs. UTTLEY died August 15,
1888 aged 71 years.
son of James D. and E. (WYCKOFF) VAIL (who settled in Romulus
about 1830), was born August 17, 1836.
His father was a farmer and he lived on the farm until
twenty years of age. In
1859 he went to Penn Yan, and there learned the art of
photography, or the old ambrotype style of taking pictures.
In 1860 he opened a gallery in Palmyra and carried on
business there eleven years.
He then came to Geneva and engaged in the nursery business
four years. In 1876
he opened his present gallery, where he is doing a fine class of
work. He married in
1864 Rose P. FOSTER, and they have one child, Newton F.
Mrs. VAIL died October 8, 1878, and he married second,
September 17, 1881, Lillie T. SEELEY.
(Johndied Sept 23, 1905)
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 198 - 199
VAN AUKEN, D. J., Geneva, was born in Cayuga county, November 2, 1849. He received an academic and high school education, after which he read law in his father's office, but never applied for admission to practice. He then engaged in mercantile business at Hannibal, Oswego county, and while there was appointed deputy canal collector at Oswego, an office which he held three years. In 1878 Mr. VAN AUKEN came to Geneva and engaged in the wall paper business for about 7 years, and in 1886 became one of the incorporators of the Ontario Accident Association. Later on he became similarly connected with the Manufacturer's Accident Indemnity Company, and was elected its vice-president; and it may truthfully be said that most of the success achieved by this company is due to the efficient effort of our subject. In 1877, while a resident of Oswego county, Mr. VAN AUKEN married Clara WILSON of Geneva. ( D. J. died Feb 2, 1917)
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 357
VAN AUKEN, Horatio,
Phelps, the oldest of 9 children living of George
W. and Margaret (VAN ETTEN) VAN AUKEN, was born in the town
of Phelps April 4, 1843.
George W., the father,
was born in Phelps in 1822 and died at the age of 70 years.
The grandfather was David VAN AUKEN,
and his father, John, was the pioneer
who came to Phelps and settled in 1793.
He was a soldier of the War of 1812.
The mother, Margaret VAN ETTEN,
was born in Wayne county, a daughter of Cornelia
VAN ETTEN. Horatio
VAN AUKEN married March 13, 1867, Laura
S., daughter of William and Delia
(BURGESS) ALDRICH, of Phelps.
Her grandfather was Ziba ALDRICH.
Mr. VAN AUKEN has
occupied his present farm for 17 years, he being the third
occupant of it. It is
devoted to general products and carries about 17 head of stock.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, Vol. 2, pg. 41-42
sole proprietor of the J. R. Vance Iron Works of Geneva, and the
inventor of a number of patented devices in the boiler making
industry, is a fine example of what may be accomplished by unaided
effort and a never-ceasing ambition.
His grandfather, John VANCE,
was a Methodist minister in Scotland, and as his father died when
he was a very young lad, he was thrown upon his own resources,
which developed the sterling qualities with which he was liberally
was born in Scotland, April 4, 1849.
His school instruction was limited, as he was obliged to go
to work in earnest at the early age of ten years.
He supplemented his deficiencies in education by means of
night lessons and ardent home study, and occupied his spare
moments, which were few, in this laudable manner.
At this tender age he found employment in the coal mines
until he was sixteen years of age, when he emigrated to America,
landing in New York City, and going from thence to Pennsylvania.
He commenced to learn the trade of boiler making and since
that time he has been actively connected with that field of
industry. He came to
Geneva, NY in 1876 and obtained the position of superintendent of
the New York Central Iron Works Company, which he held for 27 years. In
1897 he established a plant of his own, under the name of the
Vance Boiler Works. His
plant is now known as the J. R. Vance Iron Works, and he is the
sole proprietor and manager as above stated.
They manufacture all kinds of boilers, smoke stacks, sheet
iron, etc. He is the
inventor of a number of patents, among them being: �The Vance
Tube Cutter,� which was the first successful tool invented for
that purpose; and the �Vance Steam and Hot Water Boiler.�
He is an earnest worker in the interests of the republican
party and has filled a number of public offices.
He has served as trustee of the town of Geneva for a number
of terms; was alderman for some time; and served as president of
the board of health. During
the last named term of office he was the means of warding off a
smallpox epidemic from Geneva, by his prompt and vigorous
measures. A railroad
car, bound from Ithaca to Geneva, had on board a theatrical troupe
of fourteen people, all of whom had been exposed to infection from
smallpox. He ordered
them to be placed on board of a steamboat, which he caused to be
anchored out in Seneca lake and quarantined, and kept them there
for one month. One of
the passengers died, and the others recovered, but there was no
case of the dreaded disease in Geneva.
He was honored with the appointment as a special delegate
to the funeral of the late Judge FOLGER.
MC DOWELL, the well known composer, is one of his
VANCE is a member of the Blue Lodge, Commadery, and
Damascus Temple, all of the Masonic fraternity, and of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He was a delegate from Ontario county to the state
convention at Saratoga, that nominated Theodore
married in 1872 at Fredonia, Chautauqua county, New York, to Adela
SCHULTZ, born in Waterloo, Seneca County, New York in 1850.
Children: Frederick M.,
born in 1873; Mary A., born in
1875, married George FLINT, at
present the coroner of Geneva; Robert R.,
born in 1881; Mabel J. born in
1887 married Earl DOBBIN of Geneva.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, vol. 2, pg 385
Charles Abraham VANDER BEEK is of Holland ancestry, and a son of John and Mary E. VANDER BEEK. He was born near Rochester, New York, and chose the medical profession as his life work. In 1889 he was graduated from the medical department of New York City University, and served an internship in the Monroe county Hospital. For several years he was engaged as assistant physician in Brigham Hall Hospital in Canandaigua and since then, Dr. VANER BEEK has been in practice in Rochester, New York.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 199
VANDERHOOF, Jacob W., Manchester, was born on the old farm in the town of Manchester, September 23, 1834. He is a son of Abram VANDERHOOF, whose father's name was Jacob, who ran the old VANDERHOOF Hotel here for many years. His ancestors came into Ontario county early in the seventeenth century. They participated in the war of the Revolution and also the War of 1812. Jacob N. VANDERHOOF possesses the old farm, upon which he lives. He is a great party worker and a staunch Democrat. He has been repeatedly solicited to accept public offices, but so far has refused. He married Miss Mina BISSEL of Allen Hill, this county, but they have no children.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 205
VANDERHOOF, Levi, Manchester, was born in Manchester December 22, 1843. His grandfather, Jacob VANDERHOOF, ran the old VANDERHOOF hotel here for many years. His father, Abram VANDERHOOF, followed agricultural pursuits and became possessed of considerable land in this vicinity. The family have always been of considerable influence and importance, especially in political affairs and have been strong Democrats. Levi possesses a fine farm of 100 acres besides other property. He married Mary S., daughter of Simon P. ROBINSON. They have no children.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 357 - 358
VANDERHOOF, Frederick D.,
Phelps, was born in Manchester, April 28, 1843, one of six
children (four now living) of Peter and
Margaret (DOXTATER) VANDERHOOF.
Jacob, the grandfather, was born in New Jersey,
coming to Manchester and settling in early life.
Frederick D. married in 1864
Armeda, daughter of John R. and
Hannah C. HYDE of Newark, NY.
They have four children: Ina H.,
Fred, Neva W., and Bertrand G.
Mr. VANDERHOOF was educated at the schools at
Clifton, read medicine with Dr. POMEROY,
of Newark, graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons
of New York city in March 1864.
He entered the service as assistant surgeon until the close
of the war. In
February, 1867, he came to Phelps and engaged in the practice of
his profession, where he has since remained.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub. 1911,
Vol II, pg. 401 - 402
Jacob VANDERHOOF, or
and his brother Cornelius,
came from Holland and settled in Orange county, New York.
Cornelius married Temperance
WISNER, who married (second) Calvin
Cornelius had children,
WISNER, born 1787, Jacob and James,
and the family located near the town of Florida, Orange county.
Jacob married Mary
WISNER, sister of Temperance,
daughter of John WISNER, who was born
in 1737, married (first) Mary THOMPSON
and (second) Sarah DILL, having 8 children by his first wife and
6 by the second.
John WISNER, father of John
WISNER, was a captain, born about 1720, died in 1778,
married Anne ______ .
Henrick WISNER, father of John
WISNER Sr., was born in 1698, died in 1767, married Mary
WISNER, the immigrant, was born in Holland in 1676, married
Elizabeth _____, and came to this
country in 1714; he served in Queen Anne's
war, and died in 1744.
( II ) Jacob ( 2 ), son of Jacob
( 1 ) VANDERHOOF, was born in Orange county, New York.
In 1790 we find the following heads of families of the name
in Orange county: Thomas
with two sons under sixteen and three females;
Jacob with two females; Cornelius with
two males over sixteen, four under that age and one female; Jacob
Jr. with two males over sixteen, one under sixteen, one
under sixteen and two females.
There was also a Cornelius and Peter
VENDERHOOF, of New York, both doubtless descended from the
pioneers, Jacob or Cornelius.
( III ) Abram, born 1814,
buried in Riverview Cemetery, son of Jacob (
2 ) VANDERHOOF, was born in the town of Manchester, Ontario
county, New York, where his father settled.
He died there in May, 1887.
He was always a farmer, and a prominent citizen.
He was a noted singer in his day and a member of various
church choirs. He was
one of the early members of the local grange, Patrons of
Husbandry. He married
Johanna VAN DUSEN, who died in 1867,
daughter of Martin and Gertrude VAN DUSEN.
W., mentioned below; Levi, born
1838, died in 1910.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 197
VAN DEUSEN, M. D., George H., Gorham, is a native of Montgomery county, born August 24, 1836, a son of Cornelius, whose father, Gloudy VAN DEUSEN, came to Montgomery county in 1796, and there died in 1845. The family is of Dutch descent, and came to America in 1667. Mr. Gloudy VAN DEUSEN served 5 years in the Revolutionary war. In 1829 Cornelius married Elizabeth CORNUE, a native of Montgomery county, and daughter of Wessel CORNUE, one of the first settlers of that county. Cornelius and wife had 7 sons and 4 daughters, all now living. He died in 1863, and his wife in 1877. Dr. George H. spent part of his youth in New Jersey, where his father died. His mother's death occurred while on a visit to Steuben county. Subject taught school four years, and in 1861 was graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Vermont, and was appointed physician in the insane asylum in New York city. February, 1862, he received an appointment from Gideon WELLES as assistant surgeon of U. S. Volunteer Navy, serving first in North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and then in South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. In 1863 he was ordered to West Gulf Squadron, under command of D. G. FARAGUT. In 1864 Dr. Van DEUSEN resigned his position as navy surgeon and began practicing his profession at Bethel, Vt., where he remained four years and then moved to Painted Post. In 1875 he came to Gorham, where he has since had a very successful practice. He was formerly a member of Vermont State Medical Society, president of Steuben County Medical Society, and is now a member of Ontario County Medical Society. In politics Dr. VAN DEUSEN is now a Prohibitionist. He was a superintendent of schools in Bethel, Vt. He is a member of Rushville Lodge No. 377 F. & A. M. and G. A. R. Scott Post No. 315. In 1863 Dr. VAN DEUSEN married Celia A., daughter of John LISCOM of Burlington, Vt. Dr. VAN DEUSEN and wife have had two children: Fred Mower, who died in infancy; and Kate, a graduate of Geneseo Normal School, class ' 93.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 219 - 220
VAN DUSEN Nurseries, The.---A history of the nursery business in Geneva would be incomplete without mention of these nurseries, and of the man whose name they bear. With some changes of ownership, they are one of the oldest, if not the oldest, nursery house in the country. In 1839 J. J. THOMAS, the eminent pomologist, now of Union Springs, started a small nursery business at Macedon, NY. With the exception of a few years, when Wm. R. SMITH of Macedon had an interest in the business, Mr. THOMAS continued the business alone till 1856, having in the meantime largely increased his plantings at Macedon, and also having made considerable plantings at Union Springs. In 1856 Mr. THOMAS sold a half interest in both the Macedon and Union Springs business to Edward W. HERENDEEN of Macedon, and about 1859 Mr. HERENDEEN purchased Mr. THOMAS's interest and continued the entire business alone until 1867, when he bought the "Chellborg" farm, (now known as "The VAN DUSEN Nurseries"), on the pre-emption road, two miles west of Geneva, formed a partnership with J. B. JONES of New York city, and commenced the nursery business in Geneva. In 1869 Mr. HERENDEEN moved to Geneva, having closed out the Macedon and Union Springs interests. In January, 1872, Curtis L. VAN DUSEN of Macedon bought out the interest of Mr. JONES and formed with Mr. HERENDEEN the firm of Herendeen and Van Dusen. Mr. VAN DUSEN was born in Dutchess county, New York, in 1826. From early boyhood his efforts contributed largely to the support of his parents' family. As a young lad he built up a carrying or expressage business, making trips on canal boats, carrying small packages, making purchases and transacting business in Albany and other places for his employers at the various towns along the line of his route. In this business he evinced the sterling integrity and good judgment which characterized him through life. While still a young lad he was frequently entrusted with valuable money packages to deliver, and important business matters to transact. He married Martha WILLARD in 1851, at Pittsford, NY, and removed to Canada, where he engaged in the lumber business, returning to New York State about 1855, engaging in farming and the agricultural implement business at Palmyra till 1865, when he removed to Macedon where, in connection with farming, he gradually engaged in the nursery business, finally resulting in his moving to Geneva and purchasing a half interest in the firm of Herendeen & Jones. Closely following this came the crash of 1873, causing disaster to a considerable portion of the nursery interests in Geneva, including Herendeen & Van Dusen. At a meeting of the creditors a proposal was made which contemplated the assuming of the entire business of Mr. VAN DUSEN on such a basis as, if carried out successfully, would save the interests both of the creditors and the firm. To the accomplishment of the plan finally agreed upon, he brought those qualities of character, the recognition of which had secured him the co-operation of the creditors of the firm---uncompromising integrity, excellent judgment, and an ability for hard work. The last ten years of his life brought to him both his greatest trials and disappointments of his business career, in the financial embarrassment of his firm, and also his greatest success, in the management of the business so as to extricate it from those embarrassments. In 1881, two years before his death, he had carried out the plan successfully, paid the last dollar of indebtedness, and was in possession of a comfortable fortune. Mr. VAN DUSEN's educational opportunities were extremely limited, but during his entire life he fully compensated for the lack of early opportunities by the great extent of his reading, which covered so wide a range of subjects that few men with a university education are so well posted, and on so wide a range of subjects as was he. To the habit of reading he united an excellent memory, a keen sense of humor, and such conversational powers as to make him a charming companion. Following his death in 1883, the business was continued as the C. L. VAN DUSEN Nursery Company, under the management of his son, Everett L., and his son-in-law, W. L. McKAY, who has been connected with the business since 1882. Since the death of Mr. Everett VAN DUSEN, four years later, the business has continued under the management of Mr. McKAY, and the industry of fruit growing has, under his management, been added to the nursery business.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, Vol. 2, pg. 45
P. VAN DYNE,
who has been connected with the Clifton Springs Sanitarium for
many years, and is at present overseer of the institution, is of
Dutch ancestry, as the name indicates.
son of Peter VAN DYNE, and father
of Frank P. VAN DYNE, was born in the New England states 1817, died in
1865. He married Sarah
BAILLEY, who died in 1898.
Children: Frank P., Olida,
married George SMITH, Charity,
died in infancy.
of Joshua and Sarah (BAILLEY) VAN DYNE,
was born in Clifton Springs, Ontario County, New York on December
20, 1848. He was
educated in the public schools of the vicinity and then
apprenticed to learn the carpenter�s trade.
This he followed until 1888 with a satisfactory amount of
success, and abandoned it in favor of accepting the position of
steward of the Clifton Springs Sanitarium, which had been offered
him. He held the position for a number of years, discharging the
duties it entailed to the satisfaction of all concerned, and later
was offered the overseership of the building repairs, etc., of the
sanitarium, and is still actively engaged in that occupation.
He is am member of the Methodist church, and affiliates
with Newark Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Newark Chapter, No.
117, Royal Arch Masons; Zenobia Commandery, No. 41, Knights
Templar; and Knights of Pythias.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 198
Geneva, was born in Switzerland, February 23, 1846, and came with
his parents to this country when 8 years old.
They located in Rochester, where John
was educated in the
public schools and learned the butcher's trade.
August 2, 1864, he enlisted in Co. A, First Light
Artillery, Rochester, Battalion G,
N. G. S. N. Y., and was honorably discharged November 31 of
the same year. He
came to Geneva to reside in 1872, and November 17, 1880, married
Margaret KURTZ of Geneva. They
have one son and three daughters: Arthur B., Mildred L., Floese L.
and Hazel M. Mr. VAN
HUBEN's father, John, was a soldier in
12th N. Y.
Vols., and participated in all the battles of this regiment but
one, when he was a prisoner in Libby Prison.
He was honorably discharged at Rochester, May 14, 1863.
VAN RIPER, John
Gorham, is a native of Washtenaw county, Mich., born August 27,
1846. His father was
John G., a son of Garrett, a native of New Jersey, who went to
Gorham and afterwards Michigan, where he died aged 81 years.
He and his wife Catharine had
She was born in New Jersey and died in New York aged 50
John G. was born in Gorham, October 10, 1812.
When a young man he went to Michigan and there married
Eliza KIERSTEAD, a native of New Jersey, by whom he had 11 children. He died
March 1, 1887, in Livingston county, where he
resided several years. The
death of his wife occurred March 19, 1877, aged 59 years.
Between 9 and 26 years of age John H., lived
with his uncle, Peter P. FERO, and received a common school
9, 1873, he married Mary E. PROUDFIT, a native of Seneca, born
March 1, 1853, and daughter of John
PROUDFIT, a native of
Pennsylvania, and early settler of Seneca.
The subject and wife were born two sons, C. Leroy and
Clayton P. Mr. VAN
RIPER is a general farmer and owns 65 acres, on which he
has resided since 1876. He
is a Prohibitionist in politics, and he and his wife are members
of the Stanley Grange No. 284.
He and family are members of the Presbyterian church of
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub. 1878, pg. 151
was born near Trenton, New Jersey, October 31, 1815.
When seven months old he came with his parents to Seneca,
Ontario County, New York. They
located on Flint creek on an unimproved farm, the buildings
consisting of one log hut.
1837 the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Julia
A. THATCHER, and soon after located on a farm in Seneca,
where they resided until 1846, when they removed to a farm purchase
near by. In 1863, Mr.
VANNOSTRAND exchanged farms with his father and removed to
the old homestead, where he remained until his death, which occurred
in the year 1868. He
was a successful business man, a kind and obliging neighbor, and his
loss was keenly felt by friends, relations, and fellow citizens.
He was a useful man in the community, and a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, and did much towards the support of the
the late rebellion he was chosen captain of a company, but ill
health rendered it impossible for him to accept the commission.
His parents were both members of the Methodist church.
widow of Isaac, was born in Hopewell, Ontario County, New York,
February 28, 1818. The
mother of Mrs. VANNOSTRAND was
six years of age when her parents arrived in Hopewell, having
emigrated from near Frederick, Maryland. Her father came from Conway, Massachusetts in 1812, and was
drafted into the service in the War of 1812, but in consequence of
sickness was unable to go to the front; but considering it a duty
for every citizen to lend his aid to the country in time of need,
promptly sent a substitute. The
father of Mrs. VANNOSTRAND
purchased a farm on the corner of the town of Hopewell, Phelps and
Seneca. His family
consisted of seven daughters and two sons, all of whom were members
of the Methodist Episcopal church. (Picture
of Isaac and Julia A. VAN OSTRAND
on pg. 148a)
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911,
Vol II, pg. 238 � 239
Glen VAN VALKENBERG, the first member of this family, of whom we have definite information,
lived in Columbia county and married Theodosia,
daughter of Joel and Hannah ( UDELL )
Caroline A., married Matthew
RIDLEY; William H., referred to below.
William H., son of Glen and Theodosia ( LOBDELL ) VAN VALKENBERG, was born in Columbia county, in 1836, died in Ontario county, in 1905. He came with his parents in 1841, on the packet boat to Wayne county. They were farmers. In 1870 he came to Ontario county, where he bought the old FLOWER farm and lived on it until his death. He was one of Phelps' representative business men. He was a member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a member of the grange. He married, in 1861, Charlotte A., daughter of Jonathan and Mary ( FINCH ) SHELDON. Her father was a farmer of Wayne county, New York, and her mother a resident in Chatham, Columbia county. Their other children were: George, of Iowa; Emily, married Dr. O.C. PARSONS, of Newark, Wayne county, New York; Augusta, married John WESTFALL. Children of William H. and Charlotte A. ( SHELDON ) VAN VALKENBERG: 1. May E. 2. Margaret A., married Nathan OAKS; children: Albert, Nathan and Carlton. 3. Edith, married William SPANGLE, a division freight agent of the Pennsylvania railroad; children: Wilson and Lyell.
History of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich,
pub 1893, pg 257
VAN VOORHIES, Henry,
Victor, father of Stephen, was born
in the town of Allsburg, Grand Isle county, Vt., August 15, 1805,
and moved with his parents to Dutchess county in the year of 1812.
He was educated in the district schools of his day.
After a residence of four years there he moved with his
parents to Otsego county. December
24, 1831, he married Margaret DALEY
of Decatur, of that county. They
had 7 children, five sons and two daughters:
Menzo, Milton, Herman, Mary, Lyman, Stephen, and Alice.
Milton married Angie BEEMAN of
Livonia, Livingston county, and they had three children: Calista,
who died in January, 1892; Homer,
who died March 1873; and Stella.
Herman married Kate
HOLMES of Marion, Wayne county.
They have 7 children; four sons and one daughter are
living: Herman and Henry (twins), Mary, Bert
They now reside in the town of Hopewell.
Mary married Rev. James
H. DU BOIS, one of the preachers of the M. E. church, now
of Steuben county. They
have one daughter, Alice.
Lyman married Libbie FIELD
of Galesburg, Mich., and they have three children: George,
Viola, and Howard. Stephen
VAN VOORHIES was born January 16, 1846, was educated in the
public schools and Lima Seminary, and is a farmer.
October 18, 1876, he married Carrie,
daughter of Gilbert and Diana (GOFF) PORTER
of East Mendon, Monroe county.
They have three children: Madge,
Menzo and Mabel. Mrs.
VAN VOORHIES's father, Gilbert PORTER
was born at the old home in East Mendon, March 16, 1818.
He married Diana GOFF of his
native town, and they have had 5 children, two
died in infancy, three survive: Smith J.,
Elizabeth, and Carrie I. Alice
VAN VOORHIES married Horace TILLITSON
of Mendon. Henry
VAN VOORHIES's father, Keort,
was born in Vermont about the year 1769, and married Margaret
grandfather, John, was a hotel-keeper
in Dutchess county. Mrs.
Henry VAN VOORHIES died September 9, 1876.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, Vol. 2, pg. 44 -45
George Lyman VAN VOORHIS, until recently sheriff of the county, is descended from an ancient Dutch family.
son of Henry and Margaret (DAILY) VAN
VOORHIS, was also a farmer, and a Republican but he was a
member of the Methodist church.
He married in Michigan, Elizabeth,
daughter of George Kirtland and Mary
(OSBORN) FIELD. Children:
George Lyman, see forward; Viola,
born December 2, 1872, married Charles
JOHNSON and is living at Battle Creek, Michigan; Howard,
born August 10, 1878, treasurer of the C.H. Rugg Sash, Door and
Blind Company of Rochester, NY.
eldest child of Lyman and Elizabeth (FIELD)
VAN VOORHIS, was born in Charleston, Kalamzoo county,
Michigan on April 21, 1871. He
was very young when his parents returned to the state of New York,
and his education was obtained at he Victor high school, later the
Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, and finally the Brock Normal
School, which he left prior to graduating. From early manhood he has been actively engaged in the
interests of the republican party.
During this time he taught school during the winter months,
and worked on the farm during the summer, a course of affairs which
was continued until his election to the office of sheriff.
He served as supervisor of the town of Victor form March 1901
until the end of 1905, was elected sheriff in 1906, his term
expiring in 1909. He is a member of the Congregational church, and is
affiliated with the following organizations: Milnor Lodge, No. 139,
Free and Accepted Masons of Victor; Geneva Lodge, No. 1054,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Camp No. 9574, Modern
Woodsmen of the World of Canandaigua; Mendon Grange, No. 83 of
Monroe County, New York.
Mr. VAN VORRHIS married at Mendon, NY October 20, 1896 to Vernie B., born in Monroe county, NY, the daughter of Charles and Mary (GILLETT) STRONG, the former a produce dealer. Children: Lyman Spencer born January 9, 1899; Charles Leslie, born April 4, 1900; Harold Osborn, born October 7. 1902.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 197
VER PLANCK, Samuel H., Geneva, son of W. G. VER PLANCK, was born in Albany in 1827. In 1839 his father came to Geneva with his family, where subject has been engaged in the banking business since 1847, at that time entering the Bank of Geneva, where he remained four years. He was general bookkeeper in the People's Bank of New York one year, then entered the Union Bank of Rochester as bookkeeper, where he remained one year as bookkeeper and two years as cashier. Returning home he entered the Bank of Geneva as cashier, and was elected president of the bank in 1860, which position he has held ever since. Mr. VER PLANCK has been in the banking business longer than any other man in his county.
of Ontario Co, NY, Conover & Aldrich, pub 1893, pg 198
VINCENT, Robert H., Clifton Springs, was born in Troy, September 22, 1869. He was educated at the Albany Military Academy and Hobart College. He came to Clifton Springs during 1887, his father, Dr. Frank L. VINCENT, having received the appointment of physician upon the Sanitarium staff. Dr. VINCENT was also at that time secretary of the New York State Medical Society. In 1891 R. H. VINCENT purchased an interest in the Walker Fertilizer Company, the firm now being composed of Joshua WALKER, Robert H. VINCENT and E. J. WALKER.
History of Ontario Co, NY and Its People, Pub 1911, Vol II, pg. 493
Arthur S. VINCENT,
Phelps, whose success in his business career is the outcome of
activity, perseverance and judicious action, combined with honorable
and straightforward dealings in all transactions, is a son of Charles
B. and Maria (BLIVEN) VINCENT, and grandson of Benjamin
VINCENT, a native of Massachusetts.
( II ) Charles B. VINCENT, son of
Benjamin VINCENT, was born at Phelps, Ontario county, New
York. After completing
his studies in the common schools of the neighborhood, he served and
apprenticeship at the trade of foundryman, and throughout his active
career followed that occupation.
He was a man of character and integrity, active in all that
pertained to the welfare of the community, and won and retained the
confidence of all with whom he was brought in contact.
He married Maria BLIVEN.
Their children were: Russell,
deceased; Emma, deceased; Charles;
Arthur S. (see forward); Nellie;
( III ) Arthur S., son of Charles B. and Maria (BLIVEN) VINCENT, was born at Phelps, Ontario county, New York, December 20, 1862. He attended the public schools of Phelps, and the knowledge thus acquired prepared him for the activities of life. For a number of years he was very successfully engaged as a portrait artist, but at the present time is devoting his entire attention to the growing of fruit, having about two thousand fruit trees of different species, and is deriving therefrom a goodly income. He was elected a member of the village board of trustees, in which capacity he served three terms. He adheres to the tenets of the Presbyterian church, gives his political allegiance to the republican party, and holds membership in the Phelps Business Men's Club, of which he is secretary, having held that office since the club was organized. He is an exempt fireman, having been one of the charter members of the Redfield Hook & Ladder Company of Volunteer Fireman. Mr. VINCENT married Mattie A., daughter of Lyman A. and Eunice (NEARING) BAKER, of Knowlesville, Orleans Co, New York. Children: Elizabeth, Helen, Marie, deceased.
of Ontario Co., NY, Pub 1911, Vol. 2, pg. 40-41
a prosperous farmer of Clifton Springs, Ontario county, New York,
and a name of prominence in the educational affairs of the county,
traces his ancestry to the earliest settlers who came to what was
then the wilderness of the state of New York.
They have been farmers for many generations, and the land has
been constantly and steadily improving in value under their capable
grandfather of Lee VOSBURGH spent
his entire life in Hillsdale, Columbia county, New York, with which
the family has been particularly associated.
He married Caroline VAN DAZEN
and they had six children: William,
Barnard, Samuel, Arnold, referred to below, Eliza
son of Richard VOSBURGH, was born in
Hillsdale in 1831 and died January 18, 1898.
His education was acquired in the district schools and was an
excellent one for that time, and he added to this during his leisure
hours by reading and studying the best literature obtainable.
He removed to the town of Phelps, NY in 1870, where he
purchased a farm, and was engaged in its cultivation until his
death. He was one of
the leaders in all public matters in Phelps, his opinion carrying
great weight, and served his town in the office of assessor and
other offices. He married Olive, daughter of
William COE of Wayne County, New
York, and they became the parents of two children: Carrie, born in
1860, married George MOTT; Lee,
referred to below.
son of Arnold and Olive (COE) VOSBURGH,
was born in Hillsdale, Columbia county, New York on July 26, 1863.
He attended the public schools in the town of Phelps,
removing there with his parents in 1871; two years later moving to
Clyde, NY and after another two years, returned to Phelps and
located on their former farm. In
1892, Mr. VOSBURGH took charge of
this farm and it has since that time been under his sole management.
The results which he as achieved in agriculture have been of
an eminently satisfactory character, and he is most progressive in
all he undertakes. Buildings
have been remodeled and improved, new implements acquired and
scientific farming given a fair and impartial trial. The product of the farm under these favorable conditions
leaves nothing to be desired. Mr.
VOSBURGH has inherited the intellectual traits of his father
and other ancestors, and is one of the leading spirits in all
educational matters, making many improvements in this direction.
He was elected as trustee of the schools in 1900, and
re-elected in 1910, a very palpable proof of the excellence of his
service in office. He
is a member of the Presbyterian church and has been a liberal
contributor to its treasury on many occasions.
He is a member of the Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, Free and
Accepted Masons, and has served as junior warden of that body.
Mr. VOSBURGH married January 9, 1901, Grace, daughter of Alfred VAN DER POEL of Red Creek, NY. Children: Gladys, born July 11, 1903 and Carrie born May 16, 1909.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy]