History of Ontario Co, NY & its People,
Pub 1911, Vol 1 Pgs. 243 - 253
Kindly transcribed by Donna Walker Judge
Return to Home Page Return to Town Histories
The Town of Canadice
The Legend of Onnolee - First a Part of
Richmond - Organized as a Separate Town in 1829 - The Pioneers - First School
Houses and Teachers -Succession of Supervisors - Church History - Soldiers of
1812-14 and 1861-65 - Without Drinking Resorts for Over Forty Years.
Albert H. TIBBALS
The town of Canadice is the southwest corner town of Ontario county and is township No. 8 of the 5th range of townships of the PHELPS and GORHAM Purchase; with a triangular piece from No. 8 of the 6th range lying east of Hemlock lake added to its west side next to the north line, less the strip about a mile wide east of Honeoye lake and its inlet, taken from this town and added to the town of Richmond. Honeoye lake lies on its eastern boundary for half its length and Hemlock lake bounds seven-eights of its western limits. Lying wholly within the western central part of the town is Canadice lake, from which the town takes its name.
All of this lake country was early occupied by the Indians and many evidences of the hunt and chase have been found even to the present time. Tradition gives the story of the captive Onnolee, the last survivor of the Munsee nation, which dwelt on the west shore of Canadice lake during the latter part of the fourteenth century, and met their death by the hands of their supposed friendly neighbors, the Mengnees; all except Onnolee, who was taken, bound to the belt of the famous leader, Mickinac, and compelled to follow him. At their first rest for dinner, Onnolee grasped the knife from her captor’s belt, and with one mighty thrust buried it deep in his side. She knew her life was forfeited and fled with the fleetness of a deer, while arrows whizzed by her in all directions. She gained at last a crag overhanging the waters of Canadice or Hemlock lake, and, as beautifully rendered in rhyme by the poet W. H. C. HOSMER:
“Regardless of the whizzing storm
Of missiles raining round her form,
Imploring eye she then upcast,
And a low, mournful death hymn sang,
On hill and forest looked her last,
One glance upon the water cast,
And from the high rock sprang.”
It is said that, for more than three hundred years afterwards, the sainted form of the once beautiful Onnolee could be seen to rise from its watery grave and either vanish in upper air or return again to the bosom of the deep.
Bald Hill, lies between Canadice and Hemlock lakes, lying north and south wholly across the town. East hill, or Kimball hill, the ridge of land between Canadice and Honeoye lakes, makes up the balance of the township territory, all gradually lessening in altitude toward the north. The highest altitude in the town is said to be about twenty-one hundred feet above tide, this on the southeast part of East hill.
Under the act of January 27, 1789, a large district of territory in Ontario county was given an organization and named Pittstown. This organization was perfected in 1796, and in April, 1806, the name was changed to Honeoye. Another change was made in April, 1815, and the town then became known as Richmond. Within the boundaries of this town, under its various early names, and down to 1829, was included all that now comprises the town of Canadice.
This town was formed under its present name as a distinct civil division of the county, on the 15th of April, 1829, although it was not until the next year that the organization was made complete. The town had its greatest population, 1386 inhabitants, at the time of its organization.
It is assumed that General SULLIVAN crossed the northern end of the town when he passed through the Seneca country in 1779, crossing Canadice outlet about a mile north of the lake. Hiram COLEGROVE, residing on a farm at this point, found a hatchet in 1824, which was recognized by Rufus GARY, who accompanied the expedition as one used by SULLIVAN’S men; also the remains of a causeway made of logs was later plowed up by COLEGROVE, which GARY, an early settler in this town, stated was made for the crossing of artillery and wagons, and that the army camped for a night at this point.
first settlers within the present borders of Canadice located
themselves above the head of Honeoye lake, in 1795, when Aaron
HUNT made an improvement and was accompanied by Jacob
HOLDREN, the latter afterwards gaining much prominence at an
early day as a builder of mills. At this time there were no surveys except those of township
lines. Claim lines
were run by axe and were limited by the similar rights of
neighbors. Frontier law secured to the first claimant his betterments,
and this rule was strenuously adhered to.
married HUNT's daughter, Jane, and built a cabin on
the west side of Honeoye inlet an made a clearing.
At this time the nearest post office was at Canandaigua and
the nearest grist mill at Hopewell. Fifty acres of the farm one
owned by HOLDREN was purchased by a bachelor named
noted hunter and fisherman, who had a cabin near the foot of a
prominent point standing boldly out from the high ridge on the
west side of the valley, a little south of the head of the lake,
known as Meloy's Bluff.
nine years the valley knew no other occupants than the strolling
bands of Senecas and occasional hunters, and these early pioneers
had grown accustom to their surroundings.
Early in the fall of 1804, three men from Vermont, Gideon and
John WALKER and Josiah JACKMAN, set out on
foot, carrying provisions for the journey, to prospect in Ontario
county for homes. At
the foot of Canadice lake, they built a log house on what was
later the Henry MC CROSSEN farm and partly built tow others
near by. Late in the following winter, after returning east, they set
out with three ox teams and began a twenty days' journey, bringing
their goods and families on sleds.
The three families moved into the finished house while the
others were being completed.
came from Vermont in 1811 with ox team and sled.
John WILSON came about the same time.
Hiram COLEGROVE came from Oneida county in 1817.
In 1813, John WALKER built the first framed house in
town. He sold later to Warren FREEMAN. Ezekiel and Frederick WILSON and their families
came to town in 1807 and located in Canadice Hollow. The same year Ebenezer KIMBALL came and settled on
PHILLIPS was also an early settler in the same locality, as
were Seth KNOWLES, David BADGERO, Reuben GILBERT, Justis
and in 1808, to the same locality came Butler LEWIS, John
LEGGETT, James and Jesse PENFIELD, the fiddler.
Other pioneers who came to town about the same time were William
GOULD, a Vermonter and Revolutionary
STACY, Abram STACY, James BUTTON, Ebenezer INGRAHAM and his
sons, Abel and Andrew, John ALGER (another mill builder) John
WILSON, and Ezra DAVIS, a cabinet maker and the town
undertaker for a time.
the same connection may be mentioned the names of other heads of
families: among them, James ANDERSON, John RICHARDSON, and
Elmer CHILSON (1810), Jesse BALLARD, Samuel BENTLY,
Cornelius JOHNSON, Hiram and Samuel HOGANS (1809),
Albert FINCH and Luther GOULD (1810). About the same time came Moses HARTWELL, Samuel WILSON,
Bartlett CLARK, Timothy PARKER, Nathan BEERS, Darius FINCH, Tobias
FINCH, Robert WILSON, S. B. SPENCER, William GOULD, C.
BAILEY, John DARLING, Harry ARMSTRONG, Homer BLAKE, John EDGETT and
and within a few years others came and made improvements, among
them were: William UTLEY, Cornelius HOLDEN, James HULL, Elisha
HEWITT, John WHEELER, Preston THAYER (1820), Joseph S. SPENCER,
John WINCH, James BOWKER, Norman and David BUTLER (1815),
Isaac SERGEANT, Jehiel SPICER (1812), Hezekiah COLE,
William BURNS, William SULLIVAN, Deacon Benonia HOGANS (1812),
James HYDE, Amos THORTON (1813), Daniel KNOWLES, Peter
WELCH, Hiram and Samuel HOGANS, John GREEN, Reuben MANN,
George and James ADAMS, William CLARE, Jacob CANNON, Thomas
PEABODY, Asa BUSHNELL, Abram MC KEE, Ralph STANWOOD, Robert
BALDWIN and Green WAITE.
this time, settlement became more rapid and within a few years the
most desirable lands of the town were all occupied.
In 1814 came Ebenzer and Samuel KNAPP, James
SEELEY, Frederick HOWLAND, Eli DARLING, Dr. WILLIAMS, John REEVES,
Jabez HICKS, James BENNETT, Charles HYDE, Amos JONES, John BOURN,
Rufus GARY, Alden WHEELOCK, Benjamin JERSEY, Andrew WEMETT,
and the next year (1815) there came Benjamin, Philip and Peter
SNYDER, Jonathan WATERS and Captain GRANBY.
early settlers were Alvin ANDERSON, John RAY, Elisha PRIOR, E.
WEED. Rev. Silas REYNOLDS, Abel EASTMAN, Mathew STANDISH, Luke
JOHNSON, Abram D. PATTERSON, Daniel PEABODY, Joshua HERRICK,
Reuben GILBERT, David PHILLIPS, Levi WALLING, Joseph LOBDELL,
Jesse STEWART, Thomas JOHNSON Amos PECK, Jenks BAGLEY, Enoch
MACOMBER, Orange POTTER, Ephraim TUCKER, Nathaniel BEARMORE,
Justice DAVID, Andrew HAMPTON, Jonas QUICK, Benjamin CONKLIN,
Daniel BEARDSLEY, Andrew BECKWITH, Abiather PHILLIPS, Asa FARRER,
James and Henry HEWITT, James HAPMTON, and others whose
names are as worthy of record as these, but undoubtedly have been
first schoolhouse was built in 1809 in Canadice Hollow and the
first teacher was Betsey WALKER, sister of Gideon and John
first schoolhouse built on Kimball hill was in 1812, and the
earliest teachers were: Belinda JACKSON, Eliza WILDS and Almira
same year a schoolhouse was built in the northeast part of the
town and Abigail ROOT was the first teacher.
Thomas DOOLITTLE was an early postmaster, his
commission bearing date 1823.
Early carpenters of the town were Asa, Pliny, William and
Zachariah ACKLEY and David TIBBALS.
mentioned, had ten children.
One, Betsey, married N.
G. CHESBRO, of
Canandaigua, mentioned as connected with the abduction of William
MORGAN. The Hon.
Henry O., CHESBRO and Caroline
authoress, were grandchildren of Ira KIMBALL.
came to Kimball hill in 1836, bought a large farm and practiced
his profession. He
was a member of the State Legislature in 1843.
His son, Alanson W. AUSTIN, was superintendent of
schools, supervisor in 1863-65, and later served as school
son, Nathaniel G. AUSTIN, was supervisor in 1855.
Amasa T. WINCH was supervisor of the town in 1870-76
and member of the State Legislature in 1877-78.
Oliver C. ARMSTRONG was elected surrogate and died
soon after assuming the duties of that office.
Henry J. WEMETT was elected and served a term as
school commissioner, soon after his return from the war of the
Canadice was set off from Richmond in 1829 and the first town meeting was held April 6, 1830, at which time officers were elected. At that time the town was well populated.
The succession of supervisors of the town from the year of organization, beginning with a veteran of the Revolutionary war, is as follows: Reuben HAMILTON, 1830-32; John WINCH, 1833; Andrew WARD, 1834; John SHANK, 1835-36; Hiram COLEGROVE, 1837-40; Robert ARMSTRONG, 1841; Hiram COLEGROVE, 1842-43; 1845-46; 1852-54; Mark L RAY, 1844; Joseph S. SECOR, 1847; Maurice BROWN, 1848-50; Z. C. ANDRUSS, 1851; Nathaniel G. AUSTIN,, 1855; Jonas C. PUTNAM, 1856; Walling ARMSTRONG, 1857-62; Alanson W. AUSTIN, 1863-65; George ANDRUSS, 1866-69; Amasa T. WINCH, 1870-76; Oscar F. RAY, 1877-79; Caleb B. HYDE, 1880-81; Horatio H. HICKOK, 1882; D. Willard BEAM, 1883; Albert H. TIBBALS, 1884-85; Birdsey H. BURCH, 1886-87; Thomas ELDRIDGE, 1888-89; Caleb B. HYDE, 1890-91; Lorenzo WINCH, 1892-93; Marion J. BECKER, 1894-1903; Everett E. COYKENDALL, 1904-09; Marcus C. BROWN, 1910-11.
Canadice Corners is the only business center of the town, at which is the Methodist Episcopal church, the general store of R. R. CROOKS, and two or three shops. Business places in the surrounding towns of Richmond, Livonia, and Springwater are easy of access. All mail is now delivered by rural carriers from these outside towns, and a good share of the inhabitants are supplied with telephones, all of which help to compensate for the inconvenience of the people’s geographical isolation. The lakes, especially Hemlock and Canadice, have been a great attraction for summer visitors, and have been the scenes of many gala days, during upwards of three score years. The most of that has passed and all is doomed. The city of Rochester has acquired rights to both of these lakes, and not content with the use of the waters therefrom, is closing them round with city ownership of all contiguous territory and causing all cottages to be removed and beginning a return to primeval days by reforesting.
Of the many religious organizations which have from time to time been established, but one is now in existence. During the early history of the town, the people worshiped in the old time school houses, having then no regular organization, but their gatherings were none the less sacred and worthy. Rev. Ebenezer INGRAHAM frequently held meetings as early as 1809, and later Elder Abijah WRIGHT conducted a successful revival. Also Elder KETCHUM performed some church services and preached in the log school house on the NUTT farm. A branch of the Presbyterian church of Richmond was formed in Canadice in 1828, and in 1832 it took the name of Canadice. It gradually declined. Many of the members moved, some joined the Methodist Episcopal church, and it was dissolved in 1839.
A society of the Close Communion Baptist church was formed by Elder Caleb BRIGGS of Richmond, at the Kimball school house on April 12, 1834. The persons who composed the church when formed were James HYDE, Ezra SMITH, Daniel PURSELL, Robert ARMSTRONG and their wives, John and Edmund PURSELL, Elias WELCH and Arnold GREEN. Members were added from time to time until it numbered thirty-nine. On the last Thursday of May, 1835, it was resolved by a council of this church, composed of members from Lakeville, Nunda, Bristol, and Richmond, with Elder BRIGGS, Benjamin and Joseph FULLER of this church, to “Fellowship this church as a Church of Christ in Gospel order.” It was taken into the Genesee River association on June 27, 1835. Its last regular meeting was in September, 1849, when it reported nineteen members in good standing. John PURSELL was the first and only deacon.
A Congregational society was formed through the efforts of Rev. Isaac SERGEANT. He preached at the Kimball school house and held a successful revival there. The society was soon dissolved and no records exist. The “Wesleyan Methodist Connection of America” organized a church at the Bush school house in March, 1845, after a protracted effort and revival, conducted by Rev. Israel D. TREMBLY. The original members were Andrew INGRAHAM, Joseph YOST, William SMITH, Eli SHAW and wife, Jesse WESTBROOK, John WINCH, Benjamin and Jane BLAKE. Its greatest membership was thirty-four. Another class of the same church was formed on Kimball hill and presided over by the same ministers at a different hour. Of the ministers who labored with them, can be recalled the names of the Revs. TREMBLY, KITCHEL, BIXBY, BOOTH, HAVENS, DAVIS, FINNEY, YORKS, PAINE, BROADHEAD, CLARK, LEWIS, BARNETSON, BUSH, and MILLER.
The Christian church of the towns of Canadice and Springwater held meetings for several years in the Waite school house. A regular organization was effected in 1830. It was then formed by the Rev. Amos CHAPMAN, who preached regularly for many years. Later a church edifice was erected in Springwater (1836-37) which was accessible to the Canadice branch of this church and its attendance was transferred there.
Adherents of the Methodist Episcopal church were the first to hold religious services in town, which were presided over by Elder WALKER in 1808, Elder INGRAHAM in 1809, the Revs. BARTLETT and CLARK in 1811, Jehiel SPICER in 1812, Silas REYNOLDS in 1816. In the absence of further records prior to 1830, it cannot be stated when a Methodist class was first formed at Canadice. At that time it was an appointment on a four weeks’ circuit, including Lima and Livonia within its bounds. From 1830 to 1835 the class enjoyed an almost constant revival. Meetings were held in school and private houses and sometimes in barns, and the class and congregation became so large that a meeting house was necessary for their accommodation. On December 16, 1833, the members met pursuant to notice for the purpose of legal incorporation, preparatory to building a house of worship. At that meeting it was resolved to incorporate under the title of the First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the town of Canadice, and the following members were elected the First board of trustees: Elias WESTFALL, John SHANK, Orrin ANDERSON, Humphrey BUMP, and John WINCH. The articles of incorporation are recorded in Ontario county clerk’s office, in Liber D., of Miscellaneous Records, at folio 83. The trustees proceeded to raise funds by subscription, and had erected by contract, during the summer of 1834, a house 30x40 feet with galleries and steeple, in the prevailing style of that time, for the sum of $1, 050. It was dedicated the following winter, Dr. Samuel LUCKY and Rev. John COPELAND preached on that occasion and a good revival followed. The deed of the church lot is recorded in the Ontario county clerk’s office, in Liber 60 of Deeds, at page 422.
In 1872 the church was enlarged and altered to the present form of the main part, and rededicated December 18th. Dr. MUHLER, of Buffalo, assisted by Presiding Elder K. P. JERVIS, conducted the services and the debt of $1, 200 was fully provided for by pledges. In 1900, the social rooms on the east were added at an expense of about $900. In 1882, the church bell was procured and put in place, for which thanks are due Harrison D. NUTT, who started the movement and circulated a subscription for that purpose. Since the first board of trustees above named, the following have been elected and served in that capacity, many of them for several terms, viz:
Freman WARRICK, Thomas DOOLITTLE, Henry HOAGLAND, Erastus EGGLESTON, E. A SHAW, James H. GAY, John BROWN, George I. BROWN, John BURCH, Amasa T. WINCH, David SNOOK, Peter WALLING, Joseph TAGUE, John MYRES, George ANDERSON, Joseph STRUBLE, Henry S. OGDEN, Lorenzo WINCH, Isaac STRUBLE, J. R. PARTRIDGE, Asher B. NORTON, G. W. SHARPSTEEN, W. S. DOOLITTLE, Noah STRUBLE, B. H. BURCH, C. B. HYDE, O. F. RAY, D. W. BEAM, E. C. HUFF, H. C. BRANCH, L. M. DOOLITTLE, Frank DOOLITTLE, A. H. TIBBALS, M. J. BECKER, G. W. AFFOLTER, E. B. HENRY, Scott W. BUSH, and W. E. WINCH.
Pastors who have ministered to the members and friends of this church in consecutive order, beginning in 1830, are: the Revs. G. LANNING, W. HOAG, Richard WRIGHT, Jonathan BENSON, Jacob SCOTT, Israel CHAMBERLAIN, Dr. BARTLETT, B. WILLIAMS, A. HARD, W. JONES, S. C. CHURCH, P. BUELL, Thomas CASTLETON, Mr. BINGHAM, C. CHAPMAM, Samuel PARKER, Abner REID, A. ATCHESON, John WILEY, S. R. COOK, J. HALL, William A. BARBER, Joseph CHAPMAN, J. J. BROWN, A. MAKER, J. ROBINSON, J. K. TIMKHAM, J. L. S. GRANDIN, J. M. PARK, J. BENSON, J. BLIVIN, J. ARMITAGE, W. COCHRAN, William SHARP, J. BENSON, R. T. HANCOCK, G. W. CHANDLER, J. EASTER, W. R. BENHAM, D. HUTCHINS, O. TROWBRIDGE, J. WATTS, S. M. MERRITT, J. E. TIFFANY, R. T. HANCOCK, J. E. TIFFANY, S. M. DAYTON, G. S. WATSON, A. H. MARYOTT, Thompson JOLLY, F. D. MATHER, H. O. ABBOTT, J. A. SMITH, J. T. HUMPHREY, J. F. BROWN, E. J. COOK, Walter DYNES, I. B. BRISTOL, Arthur OSBORNE, O. A. RETAN, A. W. DECKER, P. P. SOWERS, J. W. BARNETT, F. H. DICKERSON, G. W. RICHMIRE, and Joseph CLARKE.
A list of soldiers of the Revolution who later found a home in Canadice, comprises the names of: Harry ARMSTRONG, William GOULD, Reuben HAMILTON, Nathan MORSE, Isaiah SMITH, William SULLIVAN, and Derby WILDS.
Of the soldiers of the War of 1812 who went from this town or later made their homes here, were: Albert FINCH, Luther GOULD, Captain GRANBY, Justus GROUT, Laban HOWLAND, Cornelius JOHNSON, James KELLY, John KELLY, Ira KIMBALL, Joseph KING, Morris NORTH, Daniel NORTON, Jonas QUICK, Silas REYNOLDS, Amasa RICHARDSON, Jonathan RICHARDSON, Robert SMITH, Samuel SMITH, William SMITH, Horace SPENCER, Orra SPENCER, Ira SPENCER, George STRUBLE, David TIBBALS, Benjamin G. WAITE, Green WAITE, Andrew WARD, Frederick WESTBROOK, David BADGERO, and Jesse BROWN.
In the war of 1861- 65, the town of Canadice did its full share in furnishing men to put down the rebellion who served in these regiments:
Thirteenth N.Y.V. Infantry - Orrin S. BROWN, Thomas J. BURCH, Ichabod MCCONNELL, Steven H. DRAPER, James EVANS, John M. HYLAND, William MCLEOD, Donald MCLEOD, George O. RICHARDSON.
Eighty-fifth N.Y.V. Infantry - James BROGAN, Francis M. FRANCISCO, Palmer W. LEWIS, Ellicott R. STILLMAN, Lendall H. ROWLEY, Elam WETMORE, Horace Z. SHEPARD.
Ninety-fourth N.Y.V. Infantry - Willard G. SHEPARD.
One Hundred Fourth N.Y.V. Infantry - Jotham COYKENDALL, Harvey R. COYKENDALL.
One Hundred Twenty-sixth N.Y.V. Infantry - Daniel ROP, William L. SHEPARD, Martin L. NUTT.
One Hundred Forty-seventh N.Y.V. Infantry - John BURCH, Jr. Lafayette WHITE, Lewis C. CROSSEN, Albert H. TIBBALS.
One Hundred Sixtieth N.Y.V. Infantry - John O’LAHEY.
One Hundred Eighty-eighth N.Y.V. Infantry - Henry J. WEMETT, George A. WEMETT, John KING, George KING, George W. CASE, Harrison E. FRANCISCO, Peter C. ROP, Wesley SLOUT.
Twenty-eighth N.Y.V. Infantry - Henry S. STRUBLE, Charles M. STRUBLE
Fourth N.Y.V. Heavy Artillery - Henry S. STRUBLE, Charles M. STRUBLE.
Fourteenth U.S. Infantry - Joseph H. HYDE, First N.Y.V.
Mounted Rifles - William C. TUCKER, George CULVER, Heman COLE, Arnold G. COYKENDALL, William N. SIMONS, Harrison J. BABCOCK, Ira D. DURGY, James E. COLE, William H. HUTCHINSON, William E. THORPE, Henry S. THORPE, William I. BISHOP, Willard D. CASKEY, Thomas MELLODY.
First N.Y.V. Dragoons - James H. LOVELAND.
Eighth N.Y.V. Cavalry—Joseph A. WEMETT, Milford C. WEMETT.
Twenty-first N.Y.V. Cavalry - Orra S. PURSELL, Jonas BEARDSLEY, Emery A, ANDERSON, Thomas S. DOOLITTLE, George F. RAY, Clinton A. OWEN, Michael OLIVER, Donald MCLEOD, Stephen H. DRAPER, Robert R. RANNEY.
Seventh Ill. Vol. Cavalry - Hiram J. COYKENDALL.
U.S. Navy - Buel G. BURDE.
Fifty-eighth National Guards - Orlando E. THORPE.
We have been unable to learn the regimental organizations to which the following list of soldiers belonged: George W. HEAZLETT, Sedrey M. HEAZLETT, Maurel W. SMITH, Homer SMITH, Dwight COYKENDALL, Jerry COYKENDALL, Thomas CLAVEN, James A. GOWERS, Joseph KING, Luther C. MYERS, George CASNER, Elmer BAILEY, and Alonzo G. WEMETT.
There are now living in the town, seven veterans who served in the war of the 60s, viz: Willard D. CASKEY, who served the last year of the war in the 1st N.Y. Mounted Rifles; Clark RIX, who served a year and a half in the 21st N.Y. Cavalry; Henry CLARK, who served a year and a half in the 141st N.Y. Infantry; Albert H. TIBBALS, who served the last two years of the war in the 147th N.Y. Infantry; Thomas MURRAY, who served nearly three years in the 148th N.Y. Infantry; Peter C. ROP, who served the last year of the war in the 188th N.Y. Infantry; and Bowman F. CISCO, who served in the 35th N.J. Infantry, and another regiment from the same State.
The temperance question in Canadice was decided for no-license, over forty years ago, and so remains. In the early days, country taverns, with their whiskey bars, were plenty. The last licensed hotel was kept by Joe COYKENDALL at the Corners, and was widely known as the "hostelry of Uncle Joel and Aunt Sally". An effort was made in 1882 by Davenport ALGER of Springwater, who built a summer hotel, called the Port House, at the head of Hemlock lake, to run a drinking place.
After learning that the people of Canadice would not tolerate the traffic, he built a pier out in the lake with a cabin at the end and took out a license from the adjoining town of Conesus, in Livingston county, and began selling there. As the statutory boundary of the west side of the town along the lake shore was somewhat ambiguous, he construed it to suit his purpose and contended that the boundary line was at the water line. An action was begun by Overseer of the Poor, A. W. DOOLITTLE, before Justice of the Peace. A. H. TIBBALS, for penalty under the Excise law, and was stubbornly contested for two days, with Attorneys O. C. ARMSTRONG and Bradley WYNKOOP, of Canandaigua, counsel for plaintiff, and Judge VANDERLIP, of Dansville, and R. H. WILEY, Esq., of Springwater, for the defendant. Judgment was rendered against the defendant for one penalty, $50, and costs, $18.40. An appeal was taken to the County court with like results. In the meantime application was made to Hon. Silas SEYMOUR, State Engineer and Surveyor, to determine the said boundary line, which was investigated by him and found to be across a portion of the lake, instead of along the shore. Soon after this the “Port House” went up in smoke and thus ended the issue.
Note - Credit is due the late D. Byron WAITE, former Canadice historian, for material used by the present writer, and to the late Hon. Amasa T. WINCH, for church records left by him.
HTML by Dianne Thomas
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2005 - 2016
[NY History and Genealogy]