Town of Canadice History 

History of Ontario Co, NY       Pub 1878 

Pg 253 - 258

Kindly transcribed by Deborah Spencer


Return to Home Page                       Return to Town Histories


 (An abridgement from “Canadice in the Early Days,” by D. Byron Waite, Esq., a resident of the town.)


“Every age bequeaths the next for heritage.” 

The location of the town is upon the northern declivities of the central Allegany range; it is divided by Canadice lake into two mainly parallel ranges, extending north and south.  The west ridge, from its appearance, has been known as “Bald Hill,” being in early days covered by a diminutive growth of tree and shrub.  It has also been called, “Ball Hill,” from forming a spherical segment of some 12 or more miles in diameter.  The south part of the east ridge has taken the name Kimball Hill, from Kimball, its earliest settler.  Upon its eastern boundary for half its extent lies Honeoye lake; on the west for 7/8 of its limits is Hemlock lake; parallel with these, and occupying a position somewhat west of the centre of this lake town, is the Canadice lake. 

A central business point it does not possess.  The majority of its inhabitants receive their mail from Honeoye, Hemlock lake, or Springwater post-offices, and its first settlers, save Ebenezer KIMBALL, selected in low land or valleys from the direction of the points named.  Not the primitive forest, but the unattractive hills and the malaria of the lakes, caused a late settlement of Canadice.  Beds of tansy flourishing in close proximity to the cabins of early settlers, and a knowledge that “tansy and whisky” was the general remedy for fever and ague, the chief disorder of pioneer days, suggests that the settlers did suffer from the miasmatic vapors of the lakes, and by these agents strove to mitigate their effects. 

It is assumed that SULLIVAN crossed the northern end of the town when he passed through the Seneca country in 1779.  Historians say that “at Honeoye he left a small force to guard the sick and provisions, and advanced with the utmost caution to the head of Lake Conesus.”  A day has been allowed for his army to march that distance, cutting their way through the forest and skirmishing during the afternoon before going into camp upon the inlet of Conesus lake.  John SALMON, formerly of Groveland, and a soldier in the raid, says, “From the mouth of Seneca lake we proceed without the occurrence of anything of importance by the outlets of Canandaigua, Honeoye, and Hemlock lakes to the head of Conesus lake,” saying nothing of time nor alluding to Canadice Lake; but the point where it is fairly claimed that SULLIVAN crossed the inlet is a mile from the foot of the lake.  In STONE’s life of BRANDT, the latter states that it took SULLIVAN’s army two days to march from the foot of the Honeoye to Conesus inlet.  This position was taken by Rufus GAREY, who accompanied the expedition, and was a later early settler in the town.  About 1824, Hiram COLGROVE, residing upon a farm at the point claimed, found a hatchet on his premises which, although badly rusted, was recognized by GAREY as one used by SULLIVAN’s men.  GAREY visited the place and recognized it as the identical spot where they camped the first night after leaving the foot of the Honeoye.  He asserted that at the crossing of Canadice outlet a causeway from felled trees was constructed to cross their few pieces of artillery.  Confirmatory of this, COLGROVE has since plowed up pieces of logs at the place, whose position suggests such a use.  GAREY gives the route of SULLIVAN as follows: “Passed west up the hill near the dwelling of David HOPPOUGH, across the farm now owned by Augustus SHEPARD, to the eastern shore of the lake, about ¾ of a mile above the foot; thence down the lake to what were subsequently called Short’s Flats.  Here they found fields planted in corn and beans, which they ruined and then passed on.” 

The pioneers of Canadice were of two classes,--the frontiersman and the settler.  The former erected a temporary dwelling, cleared a small garden patch, and as game grew scarce moved on, always in the van.  The latter engaged with zest in labor, urged by thoughts of a future comfortable home. 

The first settlers within present borders of Canadice located themselves above the head of Honeoye lake in 1795.  There were then no surveys save those of township lines.  “Claim” lines were run by early comers with the axe, and GUNTER was to them unknown.  There were those who claimed indefinite area for a time, but ultimately they were content with 40 or 50 acres.  Frontier law secured the first claimant his “betterments.”  He who undermined another made his name odious even to this generation.  It was a law that the cutting and piling of three respectable brush heaps on a piece of land and a few marked trees for a boundary gave possession, while the erection of the body of a log house was a security of inheritance. 

Aaron J. HUNT, of New Jersey, removed primarily to the valley of Wyoming, but not to remain.  Early in the spring of 1795, with his family, he set out for the Genesee country, with part of his household property, upon a sled drawn by oxen.  At Blood’s Corners were the cabins of Richard HOOKER and Joseph BIVIN.  Here the sled was unloaded and returned to Newtown for what had been left.  From this point to Honeoye lake a trail was to be their road.  While HUNT returned for the goods, the remainder of the party, seven in number, with what they could carry upon their backs, started for their prospective home, and those who know the rugged region over which their journey led will not be surprised to learn that they lost their way, and sought a night’s shelter by the trunk of a fallen tree.  The howls of the wolves and a sense of loneliness made the occasion memorable to the youngest and last survivor of that group, Mrs. Sarah LINCOLN, of Hopewell, who is verging closely upon her centennial birthday.  The next day the “echoing axe was swung” to fell the trees, with whose trunks a cabin was erected upon what is now lot No. 7, in the extreme southwest corner of the present town of Richmond.  With this party came the first settler of Canadice, Jacob HOLDREN, an acknowledged suitor for the hand of HUNT’s daughter, Jane.  He built a cabin on the west side of Honeoye inlet, cleared a few acres, and exchanged work with HUNT.  Preliminary to building, both apple  and peach trees had been procured, and an orchard set out. 

A tinge of romance is seen in the planting of these early fruit-trees.  Jennie held the tree upright while Jacob replaced the soil, and when trees and their planters had alike grown old, to the latter a pleasing memory was associated with this early provision for the future.  They were married in 1796, and permanently occupied their new habitation.  No idle life was theirs, nor devoid of trouble.  Squirrels devoured the grain, and deer browsed upon the wheat.  Provisions were exhausted, and green pumpkins and cabbage boiled without seasoning were an extreme resort.  Hopewell was the nearest grist-mill, and when roads were bad, the aboriginal method of pounding grain was practiced.  An elm stump, used as a mortar, was preserved as a relic of the past until a few years ago; it stood upon the premises of Hunt.  “Rice-puddings,” made from “white Jersey rye,” hulled, were common in those days. 

The nearest post-office was Canandaigua, to which monthly or semi-monthly trips were made.  Jacob HOLDREN was a millwright, and built a number of the first mills put up in the country.  From a poor boy he became the owner of 300 acres of excellent land; milked from 20-30 cows, and sheared over 500 sheep.  He sold in 1834 to Colonel HENRY, and went to Indiana.  The farm is now owned by several proprietors--George ALGER, J. N. JENNINGS, and Chester WASHBURN, a grandson of HOLDREN.  The children of HOLDREN were 11 in number.  Samuel was the first child born in town, and was accidentally burned to death in Frosttown when about three year of age.  Clarissa Ann is the wife of Alvin WASHBURN, and lives in Naples.  Fifty acres of the farm once owned by HOLDREN was purchased by a bachelor named MELOY, a noted hunter and skillful fisherman.  Upon the lakes in his canoe, or in the woods, he spent his time, and retired to rest in a small cabin which he had erected upon the land designated. 

The traveler passing up the Honeoye sees above the head of the lake a prominent point jutting from the long, unbroken ridge on the west side of the valley.  This is “Meloy’s Bluff,” and by that name the memory of the heirless hunter is preserved forever. 

Nine years, and the valleys had known no other occupant than the strolling bands of Senecas and occasional hunters.  The pioneer family had grown accustomed to their surroundings, and enjoyed their freedom as an equivalent for their solitude. 

Early in the fall of 1804 three men from Vermont set out on foot, carrying provisions for the journey upon their backs, to prospect in Ontario County for a home.  They were the brothers Gideon and John WALKER, and Josiah JACKMAN.  Arrived at the foot of Canadice lake, they built a log house on the farm of Henry McCROSSEN, and put up the bodies of two others--one on the farm now owned by Hiram COLEGROVE, the other on that of Mansel R. SMITH.  Returning east, it was late in the following winter when, with three ox-teams, sleds, and what could be conveyed upon them, they began a journey which in 20 days brought them to their destination.  The three families moved into the finished house while the others were being finished.  The greater part of log house carpentering being the splitting, preparing, and placing upon the roof of “shakes” from two to four feet long, laid in courses, with straight poles at intervals lengthwise to hold them in place, the houses were soon completed.  Gideon took the COLEGROVE farm, JACKMAN the SMITH place, and John remained in the first-built house.  Gideon remained about six years, cleared a score of acres, built a log barn, and sold to Simon STEVENS, who arrived from Vermont in the winter of 1811, with sled and a yoke of oxen.  His wife was Katy WILSON, a sister of John WILSON, who came at the same time, bringing a load of goods for Simon.  Simon sold to his son, Willard, who in 1824 disposed of the property to Hiram COLEGROVE, the present owner.  COLEGROVE came from Oneida county to Richmond in 1817, and to Canadice at the date given, when he was 26 year of age.  He was constable in Richmond during 1819, and a supervisor in Canadice for 12 years.  His present residence is Livonia. 

In the year 1813, John WALKER erected the first framed house in town.  It stood on the site of the present house, and was torn down by Decker B. HOPPOUGH.  Walker remained eight years, and sold to Warren FREEMAN.  The farm passed afterwards to Sheldon ASHLEY, William DECKER, and then to D. B HOPPOUGH, who sold to the present owner.  Betsey WALKER, sister to Gideon and John, taught in 1809 the first school in town.  

The school-house was of logs; it was 12 feet square, and had two windows of four panes each.  Its site was on the farm of Isaac STEVENSON, above the road, and near the elm-tree now standing.  The children in attendance belonged to the WALKERS and Josiah JACKMAN.  Warren FREEMAN lived on WALKER’s place a half-dozen years, and went to Michigan.  His successor, Sheldon ASHLEY, was from Richmond, and stayed but a year.  HOPPOUGH built a good house, improved the farm, and then took up his home in the “Peninsular State.”  Josiah JACKMAN was living on the north side of the east and west road, and cleared land on the south side, now owned by William M. STRUBLE. 

The first piece of winter wheat raised in the new settlement was upon land above the road south of SMITH’s house, and now the site of an orchard.  It was sowed among the stumps, and gave a good yield.  The first crop of corn was from the lands of Struble.  Mucky land and chipmunk depredations made the yield small.  The next crop was very remunerative, and the pumpkins found notice in eastern prints as one of the wonders of the “Genesee country.”  The orchards on the McCROSSEN and SMITH places were set out in 1809, with trees from Bristol.  Years had passed, and with prosperity had come to the WALKERS a double wagon and a span of horses.  John WALKER, his wife, and Mrs. JACKMAN set out on a visit to Vermont.  The women rode in a double chair, then a luxury, and returning, were presented with a cheese securely wrapped and sewed to the underside of the chair-bottom; it came safely through, and was the first import to the new colony.  

The first grain-cradle seen by the settlers here was made by Samuel B. SPENCER in 1811, and was held in contempt by old reapers; yet cumbrous and unwieldy as it was, compared with later ones, it did very satisfactory work.  After the death of Mr. JACKMAN his farm passed through the hands of Stephen HIGGINS, Silas REYNOLDS, John McCARRICK, Peter HOPPOUGH, to the present possessor.  We mentioned that JACKMAN cleared land on the south of his house; when the lots were surveyed, the line separated most of his clearing from his house.  Amos JONES went to the land-office and took an article for the south part of JACKMAN’s possessions.’ JACKMAN held possession and worked the land.  JONES instituted summary proceedings to dispossess JACKMAN, and it resulted in the former gaining possession.  In the year 1807, Ezekiel and Frederick WILSON, Ebenezer KIMBALL, and their families came into town.  The WILSONS settled in Canadice Hollow, on the farm now owned by Thomas COSTELLO.  A log barn accommodated both brothers.  This was replaced in 1814 by the first framed building in town; it stood some distance north of the present position, and is the oldest of three barns now on the farm.  The brothers Asa, Pliny, William, and Zachariah ACKLEY were the carpenters.  The completion of the building was marked by an “all-night exhibition.”  The exercises were spiced by an occasional jig and a tough story.  It was the first public gathering of all classes in the “hollow,” and is still remembered by survivors as a “great event.”  The WILSONS cleared all the land above the road, and in the fall of 1811 sold to Ezra SPENCER and went to Livonia.  In 1814, he put up part of a framed house.  Years after, additions were made to it, and here he died in 1841.  The farm, after his demise, passed through the hands of Robert STEPHENSON, Haskell GILBERT, and David HOPPOUGH to its present energetic owner.  Ebenezer KIMBALL came from Bristol, and settled on what is now called the PARTRIDGE farm.  No roads then led into town from Pitts’ Flats, and he employed hands to cut a passage from Honeoye to Kimball Hill or Kimballton.  First a log cabin, then other habitations of more pretentious character, were built, the last being on the site of William G. ROSS, on the south half of the lot.  The orchard on the land of Caleb B. HYDE was the first on the hill, and the trees were brought by Kimball from Bristol and Canandaigua.  John PHILLIPS built a house near the present residence of L. J. PARTRIDGE, in 1816.  In 1825 he was killed.  Ira KIMBALL became its possessor; successively owned by Ebenezer, Jr., Thomas A. COYKENDALL, William FRANKLIN, each a part of the present owners.  KIMBALL had 10 children, one of whom, Betsey, married N. G. CHESEBRO, a resident of Canandaigua, and spoken of in country history as concerned with the abduction of William MORGAN.  The Hon. H. O. CHESEBRO and Caroline CHESEBRO, the authoress, were grandchildren of KIMBALL. 

The first settler in the southwestern part of the town was David BADGRO.  His father was a French Canadian, and his mother of German parentage.  From Canada BADGRO moved to Bristol in the spring of 1803, and five years later came with Reuben GILBERT, his brother-in-law, to Livonia, and in canoes up Hemlock lake.  They built a log house on the farm of Thomas REYNOLDS, in Springwater, across the line, and there lived till a house was completed on the farm now owned by William JOHNSON, in Canadice.  Fifty acres, from the south end of lot 14, constituted BADGRO’s first possessions.  Seth KNOWLES, from Massachusetts, had preceded about one year, and took what is now called the “Gibbs farm.”  He observed that seasons dry in this town and northward were otherwise in the vicinity of the lakes south of him, and after harvest, he and his son Jared, and Peter WELCH, took their guns, axes, and necessary provisions and set out on a prospecting tour to the town of Springwater, then known as Middletown, and there built a log house, and later became the first settlers in that locality. 

Justus GROUT came from Vermont to Livonia in the spring of 1808, and hired for one year, to Samuel PITTS.  During the same part of the year, PITTS and GROUT came to the head of Canadice Lake to make maple sugar.  Their camp was on the land now owned by Willard D. CASKEY.  After a time PITTS left GROUT at the camp, and went to Livonia for provisions.  GROUT knew that some hands were at work in the woods some two miles away making shingles, and in their shanty passed the night.  On April 29, 1810, GROUT married Catharine, the third daughter of David BADGRO.  Esquire STEVENS, of Lima, performed the ceremony, and this was the first marriage in the present town of Canadice, so far as is known.  In 1816, Mr. GROUT bought out BADGRO, and lived till his death upon the place.  The house standing on the farm taken up by BADGRO was built by GROUT, and is probably the oldest log or block house in town.  Martha GROUT, a daughter to Justus, was for seven years a school-teacher, also a tailoress, thus performing the double task of teaching and tailoring. 

In 1808, Butler LEWIS and John LEGGETT built cabins on the farm now owned by Oscar L. RAY.  The former removed to the farm of Hugh S. SALTER, and erected another cheap tenement.  The latter within a year or two ago sold to Benjamin GREEN, who in turn sold to Charles ELLIS, and he in 1836 sold to Dr. Sylvester AUSTIN.  Two brothers, James and Jesse PENFIELD, were early settlers on the south part of the same lot.  Jesse was a noted fiddler, and was possibly the first musician in that line in town.  The PENFIELDS removed to Chatauqua county in 1835.  

The first school-house, on Kimball Hill, was built in 1812; it stood on the knoll near the pine-tree north of Ray’s residence.  Belinda JACKMAN, Eliza WILDS, and Almira HUBBARD were successively the first teachers.  Dr. AUSTIN was one of the best physicians of his day.  He was a member of the State Legislature, and died in 1857, aged 75.  The family became prominent: two sons, Nathaniel and Alanson, were superintendent of schools, supervisor, and the latter served as school commissioner.  The former succeeded his father on the farm, and sold to Oscar F. RAY, the present esteemed owner.  A French Canadian trapper, named Gallieu, built a small shanty on the beach of Canadice lake.  Here he lived in this hut for three years.  Hector and Homer BLAKE bought the trapper’s claim, and temporarily moved in with Samuel B. SPENCER while a respectable log house was built.  The BLAKES soon sold out to William GOULD, a Revolutionary pensioner from Vermont.  The highway from the foot of the Canadice as far south as the residence of Hector was laid out July 12, 1812.  GOULD sold in 1818 to Silas REYNOLDS, Sr.  He then sold to Jeremiah GREEN, after which the farm passed through the hands of William SMITH, L. D. BEERS, O. F. SISSON, C. RICHARDSON, Cyrus SWAN, to the present occupant, Halsey HOPPOUGH.  

SISSON was a mail-carrier between Canandaigua and Canadice, and went to Bristol.  The first settler on the W. G. HOPPOUGH farm was Sylvanus STACEY.  His place was taken in a year by his brother Abram.  At the same time James BUTTON settled on the place, where he died before 1811, and was perhaps the first who died in the town.  The farm afterwards belonged to Artemus SEVERANCE, P. HOPPOUGH, and his sons, W. G. and M. D. F.,--the present owner.  P. HOPPOUGH came from New Jersey in April, 1820, to Hopewell, and in 1821 to Canadice to this farm, where he lived four years.  He had a chopping bee at which 20 acres of heavy timber were leveled in one day, not to mention seven sheep eaten and 15 gallons of whisky drank on the occasion. 

The first cabin on the farm of W. D. CASKEY was built in 1808, by Samuel PITTS and Justus GROUT, for a shelter while making sugar.  Ebenezer INGRAHAM and his sons, Abel and Andrew, lived on the farm owned by Dennison BROWN’s widow, and used the cabin noticed.  John ALGER, a settler of Bloomfield in 1789-90, built a house and erected a saw-mill on the stream south of the present residence of W. D. CASKEY.  This was the pioneer mill of the town; its sills can yet be seen in the bed of the stream just above the bridge.  The flume made to conduct the water was ill constructed, and the mill was a failure.  ALGER sold to E. SPENCER.  In 1811, John WILLSON became the owner and occupant of the farm.  He had nine children.  One, William, lives in town, at the age of 80 years.  He walked here from Vermont, and drove a yoke of steers.  Henry WINFIELD, from New Jersey, succeeded the WILLSONS.  His children were nine in number.  A son, John, remained on the farm a few years, and sale was made by him to Henry CASKEY, he to F. G. KNOWLES, and he to the present owner in 1875.  We have spoken of GROUT’s visit to the cabin of the shingle-makers when left alone at the sugar camp.  This building was on the premises of Lewis M. JOHNSON; other like cabins were built upon the farm, and inroads were made upon the beautiful pine timber that once stood there.  The first house occupied by a family was located in a hollow, near a spring, on the northeast corner of the farm.  “Leather JOHNSON,” the inhabitant, won his appellation by wearing a suit of buckskin.  Pants, shirt, and moccasins were of the same material; Sunday or week-day, hot or cold, wet or dry, he was always dressed in the same border costume.  The next house was built by Nicholas MILLIMAN, in 1833.  His brother, James, built a house that stood in front of the present one, and was torn down a few years ago.  The farm of 160 acres was in a natural state covered by tall pines; acres had been chopped down, a log or two taken off, and the remainder, which would now be worth in lumber $20-30 per thousand, was logged and burned.  Large quantities of charcoal were burned on the place in an early day.  The farm occupants were, James HALL, William WISEMAN, Joseph UTTER, Timothy HUFF, Reuben THOMPSON, Henry JONES, William WESTBROOK, J. W. SPENCER, C. F. RICHARDS, and the present possessor. 

The farm now owned by Seneca SWAN was taken up in 1808, by Ezra DAVIS.  He was a cabinet-maker by trade, and furnished the coffins in which were buried some of the early settlers of northern Canadice.  DAVIS sold to James ANDERSON in 1815, and went to Kentucky.  ANDERSON was succeeded by his son, Orrin, who sold to Seneca SHORT, he to Amos SWAN in 1836, who died upon the place in 1846.  The settlement for the year 1809 begins with Samuel BENTLEY, who began the first clearing of the GANUNG farm, north of Canadice Corners, and built some structures in part, and then exchanged with John RICHARDSON for a farm in Conesus, giving $600 of a bonus.  RICHARDSON became a resident in 1810.  He was a desirable neighbor.  He makes yokes, large spinning-wheels, and other desirable articles.  A son, William, is still living in town in his 71st year.  He became owner of the farm, and sold it to A. SEVERANCE in 1836.  Other owners have been Andrew WARD, John GANUNG, Edward, his son, and finally his son, Asa C. GANUNG.  Part of the house was erected by RICHARDSON, and the rest in 1831, by SEVERANCE, for a store.  He had a separate shoe-shop.  Freeman WARRICK learned his trade of SEVERANCE, and long worked at shoemaking in this town.  The farms of Henry C. STEVENS and the widow of Dennison BROWN were settled the same year.  E. INGRAHAM, already mentioned, lived a year on the latter place, and sold to Emer CHILSON.  Ebenezer was a Methodist minister, and his first sermon in town was preached in the log school-house earlier mentioned during the summer of 1809.  CHILSON came from Vermont in 1810, remained but a few years, and later settled in southern Ohio.  The farm of STEVENS was first settled by Cornelius JOHNSON, from Farmington, and afterwards owned by S. Truman SHORT, of Livonia. 

Jesse BALLARD was a man of iron will, and adapted by constitution for pioneer life.  He took the farm now owned by heirs of the late Lyman NUTT.  In 1812, BALLARD, John RICHARDSON, Cornelius JOHNSON, and Cornelius HALDEN, erected the first school-house in the northeast part of the town upon this farm.  During the same summer Abigail ROOT taught the first school there.  BALLARD sold to William WARD, who, after some years, disposed of the farm to his brother, Andrew, who erected the present house.  Hiram and Samuel HOGANS built a cabin on the farm of Lorenzo INGRAHAM, and took in most of the STRUBLE farm; they sold the north part in 1817 to M. CHAMBERLAIN.  Afterwards, Johnson HALL came into possession.  He sold to Alvin WASHBURN in 1825, and he to S. P. BENSON in 1831; thence the property had several owners.  In March, 1825, Jacob FRANCISCO built a house and blacksmith-shop on the northeast corner of the farm.  Joseph BARNHART afterwards lived there.  A short time before FRANCISCO built on the farm, Hiram and Samuel HOGANS erected a house on the west side of the road.  In a few years William THORPE became owner, and then Marvin FRISBIE.  Simeon STRUBLE is the present owner.  Albert FINCH came from Farmington, and settled on the Moses HUFF farm.  In some half-dozen years he died, and was succeeded by Albert, his son, who in 1823 sold to John HUFF, who died the same year.  Moses succeeded his father on the farm, and lived there some 30 years.  Thomas REED is the present owner.  The farm occupied by the heirs of Isaac STEVENSON was settled in 1809.  Two houses were erected upon it at the same time, one on the south line, the other north of the present building.  Mrs. Lydia HARVEY occupied the former, and James NOTT the latter.  In 1810, Luther GOULD came on to the farm, and lived in a house south of the present school-house.  Luther’s eldest son, Allen, married Mrs. HARVEY, and carried on blacksmithing for many years.  GOULD sold to Charles TRIMMER, for many years a justice.  He sold to Isaac STEVENSON, who died on the place in 1875. 

The year 1810 witnessed an influx of population to Canadice.  Nine new farms were opened up to clearing and building.  Moses HARTWELL, from Hunt’s Hollow, took up part of the Frederick WESTBROOK farm.  One McROBERTS built on the present south line.  Samuel WILLSON built near the outlet, in 1811, and stayed a year.  Bartlett CLARK, a Methodist exhorter, lived with him.  Yet one other house was erected on the extreme east end of the farm, into which Deacon Timothy PARKER moved.  A pile of stones marks the site of the early habitation of Canadice’s first deacon.  In 1820, another house went up on the west part of the place; it was occupied by HANCOCK and SPENCER.  In the corner of the orchard was the habitation of Nathan BEERS.  Truly, the farm was well built upon in those days.  Within three years McROBERTS vacated, and Harley WHITE moved in.  In 1823, Deacon PARKER sold to Silas REYNOLDS.  HARTWELL sold to Jonathan ROOD, about 1820, and he sold in 1827 to the present owner.  An old poplar-tree standing near the house was brought by ROOD as a riding-whip from the town of Lima.  In 1827, the titles to the different portions of the farm were vested in F. WESTBROOK.  The first settler on the Joseph GILBERT farm on the Honeoye lake was Darius FINCH, and with him lived Tobias, his twin-brother.  Darius bought the north 50 acres, and Richard WALKER, Sr., settled the south half, during the next year.  The former sold out, in 1817, to Henley THOMPSON, who later sold to L. GILBERT.  WALKER exchanged farms with Francis Le Rue, who soon died.  His widow sold to GILBERT.  Seth KNOWLES, previously mentioned, married Margaret, daughter of Peter WELCH, in 1810, and soon after they settled on the north end of Ball Hill, on the farm of A. G. SHEPARD, and this was the first family located on that hill.  Then, and five years afterwards, nothing but an Indian trail led over the hill.  This trail, passing near his cabin, took the highest land southward, and at the bridge near William JOHNSON’s intersected two other trails,--one from the eastern shore of Canadice, the other up the Hemlock.  The first road past the house was surveyed May 6, 1815, by Martin BOOTH.  Years later it was closed, and the present one opened.  When he first trod the trail from his father’s place in Springwater to his own cabin, he invariably carried a firebrand as a defense against wolves.  The pioneer lives in Livonia, at the age of 90 years.  He sold to Wesley NORTHRUP, and various owners preceded the present.  Samuel BENTLEY, while living on the GANUNG farm, built of poplar poles the body of a cabin on the SWARTS farm.  He left it, and John NORTON took possession.  The half-built cabin was remote from the road, and the new owner built above the highway.  He, in company with his son William, and later with James SWEAT, his son-in-law, engaged in the manufacture of potash, and sold, in 1836, to Daniel SWARTS, who died on the farm December 31, 1859.  A pile of ashes marks the spot, and a mineral spring is near by.  Robert WILLSON, brother of Samuel, settled this year on the farm by Canadice lake, now owned by Sidney CASKEY.  John WING was his successor within a year, and then various persons held temporary ownership.  James HOAGLAND’s place was originally owned by John RICHARDSON, who sold 60 acres to L. G. WORDEN, and soon after disposed of the remainder.  John WINCH was the owner in 1829, and it has passed through many hands till it came to its present worthy possessor.  WINCH was the second town clerk; he was supervisor in 1832, justice in 1850, and lives in town.  We now come to what was called in early days “Frog Point.”  For years this was the only name of the locality.  The first settler was S. B. SPENCER, who built upon the knoll above the road.  William GOULD put up a house in 1813, on the north part.  C. BAILEY, in 1815, lived on the south side of the point, and John DARLING, in 1818, erected a blacksmith’s shop adjoining the cabin.  Harry ARMSTRONG, a soldier of 1776, and his son Perry, lived there in an early day.  B. BARTRAND built near the beach of the lake.  Silas REYNOLDS became owner, and sold, in 1831, to Joseph ADAMS and John WESTFALL.  The former soon after purchased WESTFALL’s interest.  ADAMS’ widow resides on the place.  A son-in-law, B. H. BURCH, owns the south part.  The SPENCERS were a numerous family.

Eleven of the name came from Spencertown, in Columbia county, to this locality on May 9, 1810.  Ira SPENCER was the first minister of the Christian order who preached in the town.  He died, aged 85, on February 5, 1876.  Samuel SPENCER was a rhymer and fond of the bottle.  Memories of him are brightened by reference to the times when at quilting, wedding, raising, and logging, his happy hits gave enjoyment to the occasion. 

Homer BLAKE, in 1811, made the legal improvements upon the farm now owned by Thomas ELDRIDGE, intending to make there a permanent residence, but, during the winter, changed his intention, and returned to Onondaga.  John EDGETT, a young man from Richmond, added to BLAKE’s chopping, built a shingle shanty near the northwest corner, and sold for $12 cash, in 1813, to Harry JONES, of Richmond.  JONES cleared nearly all the land now cultivated, built a log house and barn, and when BLAKE returned from Manlius, in 1838, he sought the old place and became a life-resident.  He was a Protestant Methodist exhorter for many years.  His wife did not long survive him.  He left four children,--one, Camilla, is the wife of Ambrose KINGSLEY, and lives in the town; a sister, Julia, lives with them.  Thomas ELDRIDGE, the present owner, purchased of the heirs in 1860, and in 1865 added about 50 acres to the east side of his farm.  William UTLEY, from Richmond, took up the John F. BECKER farm the same year (1811), and lived there until 1826, when he sold for a yoke of cattle and $150 to William RICHARDSON, who later made a sale to John MORLEY, now of Lima, and he to the present occupant.  In the same year Cornelius HOLDEN took up the land owned by John COSTELLO.  In three years he sold to F. La Rue, who exchanged with Richard WALKER, when it passed through ownership by Edward GANUNG, James B. HOAGLAND, to the present holder.  James HULL settled on the farm of Mrs. Margaret CASKEY.  He spent little time clearing his farm, getting his living chiefly by teaming; and his wooden hames, raw-hide tugs, and rope lines are still remembered by the aged.  He sold in 1819 to A. SEVERANCE, and lived for a while in a shanty, and then went to Michigan.  SEVERANCE, Benjamin FREEMAN, William CHAMERLIN, and Jacob CRATSLEY were later owners.  When CRATSLEY died, his son, Jacob, and his son, Joseph, were holders of the property prior to the present resident.  William CHAMBERLIN was the first justice in town, and was selected before the town was set off from Richmond.  The farm of David LAWRENCE, on Ball Hill, was settled by Elisha HEWITT, who sold in 1817 to Luke JOHNSON.  Owners of the place have been Richard KINNEY and his son Alanson, who sold to the present owner in 1867.  The next in order is the farm now occupied by Alfred THAYER.  John WHEELER was its first settler.  After seven years’ experience, he sold to a dairyman from Long Island, named VANDEVERE, who wearied of the place, and was succeeded by Preston THAYER in 1820.  THAYER removed to Ohio, and left his son Alfred on the place.  Joseph SPENCER settled on that portion of the SLOUT place lately bought by Henry BRANCH.  He lived there eight years, among the apple-trees near the northwest corner. 

The war of 1812 did not stop emigration; families fleeing in a panic from their homes met emigrants on their way to locations.  When Butler LEWIS left the RAY farm, he built a cabin on the farm of Hugh S. SATTER.  In the same year James BOUKER, from Cayuga, built upon the south part of the farm.  Norman and David BUTLER followed BOUKER in 1815.  The year following Norman sold to David, who in two years, sold to Isaac SERGEANT, of New Jersey.  He sold, to Orlando WETMORE, who disposed of the south part to Robert ARMSTRONG, and the north 50 acres to Robert’s son,  Walling, who succeeded his father in his portion, and in 1874 sold to the present owner.  Robert ARMSTRONG was supervisor of the town in 1841, justice from 1835 to 1843, and died in the town.  Walling was supervisor for six years. 

In 1812, Jehial SPICER built a house on the farm of Oliver C. ARMSTRONG, but in a few weeks sold to Jesse CHATFIELD, and built again on the farm of Noah TIBBALS.  Reuben COLE built on the knoll north of the old house now standing.  COLE and CHATFIELD sold to Uriel SPENCER, a Methodist preacher, and the farm has been in the hands of S. HUBBARD, Jr., William, Benjamin C., and Peter Y. PURSEL, Asa DENNISON, Thomas SAWYER, Cyrus WINSHIP, and N. G. AUSTION, before the present owner in 1866.  The farm of Benj. PURSEL, south of the one described, was an original part of it.  Upon it resided Reuben HAMILTON and Derby WILDS, pensioners of the Revolution, in 1819, and S. HUBBARD, Sr., from Vermont, in 1821.  HUBBARD passed his days in the town.  Two farms to the northward were settled at the same time.  Jehiel SPICER’s cabin, on the TIBBALS farm, was of a single-sided roof pattern, and was soon followed by another somewhat better.  David TIBBALS took the place in 1818, and died thereon.  He was by trade a carpenter, and was thrice married.  Peter and Noah are children living in town.  John COLE and Reuben COLE, Jr., settled on the farm occupied by the heirs of Hiram INGRAHAM.  In 1815 they sold to their brother Hezekiah.  The farm has been owned by Silas REYNOLDS, Benjamin GREEN, Orlando WETMORE, Joseph S. SECOR, and W. COYKENDALL, previous to INGRAHAM, who met an accidental death in 1874.  The farm of C. F. V. BARBER, on Ball Hill, was first possessed by William BURNS, then by Julius BIGELOW, Chauncey NORTHRUP, and John C. KINNEY.  About 1825, BIGELOW erected a distillery in the gully where Lyman HITCHCOCK later had an ashery.  William SULLIVAN, reported a distant relative to General SULLIVAN, came to Canadice in February, 1812, and the farm he occupied is known by his name.  He died in 1843, leaving 11 children.  One only survives.  William, aged 86, and a resident in town. 

Deacon Benoni HOGANS, in 1812, came into Canadice and built a humble mansion, 10 feet square, in the brush then growing on the farm now owned by Caleb B. HYDE.  Two sons, Hiram and Samuel, came at the same time.  They sold to Samuel B. FINCH, who in a year sold to William MILLIGAN, who disposed of the place in February, 1824, to James HYDE, whose first payments on the land were taken to Geneva on foot, and the last payment was marked by a ride.  He hired of Charles ELLIS, living on the farm of O. F. RAY, an old mare, the only animal of the horse kind he could procure in the neighborhood.  The vehicle in which he rode was a “jumper,” made of green poles bent in position, with cabin traces and rope lines.  HYDE’s cabin was 14 by 16 feet in dimensions, and had no windows.  Four acres were cleared of 135 composing the farm. 

When the road was cut through a “bee” was made, and on that occasion two bear cubs were taken from a hollow tree, the last bears caught in town. 

The farm of widow ANDRUSS was first known as a home by Amos THORNTON, in 1813.  His cabin was burned accidentally, and he sold to William BROWN, of Phelps.  He and his brother-in-law, Goddard, engaged in the manufacture of potash.  BROWN gained the name of “Thresher Brown” by traveling on foot to the farm of Shepard MACOMBER, threshing 20 bushels of wheat with a flail, and reaching home the same day.  It was later occupied by Ira AMBROSE and George C. SPENCER, who sold to Judge ANDRUSS, by whom it was deeded to his son, George, who died, leaving it to its present owner.  The judge was supervisor in 1851, a justice for years, and died in town.  George ANDRUSS was supervisor from 1866 to 1869, and also a justice for a long period.  The first settler where Isaac P. WRIGHT lives was one Hyller.  A shanty and a patch of ground two to three acres in extent comprised his improvements for the two years of his sojourn.  In January, 1816, he gave way to Shadrach WARD, who built a double-log house on the SHANK farm, and in 1819 began to keep tavern, a business followed by him for 15 years.  He ran an ashery for a time, and sold to his son, William.  Owners of the farm were George I. BROWN, John OGDEN, and Henry OGDEN.  Nancy WARD, daughter of Shadrack, married Timothy EATON, who, in 1823, brought the first spring wagon into town from New Hampshire.  S. B. FINCH and James BEMIS were original settlers on the C. A COYKENDALL farm.  FINCH speedily sold to Justus WALDO.  BEMIS was a blacksmith, and had a shop east of the road.  He cleared all the land now cultivated.  He sold in 1833 to H. W. PULVER.  Waldo (an early justice) also sold to PULVER, who died on the place.  Henry ARMSTRONG, a soldier of 1776, lived one year on the farm of George W. OWEN.  John WING followed him and kept tavern there.  M. COYKENDALL, S. HIGGINS, E. BAILEY, W. WINFIELD, and H. WAITE were his successors.  The old KELLY farm, near the head of Honeoye lake, was first settled by John KELLY in 1813.  He was a Canadian, but acted with the Americans, as their spy.  He went in a farmer’s garb, bridle in hand, but being finally detected made a hairbreadth escape to our lines, and, coming to Hunt’s Hollow, located on this farm.  He had 12 children.  A daughter Catharine, widow of Gideon SULLIVAN, resides in the town. 

Samuel and Dinah STORY were the first colored persons resident of the town.  They settled on the place owned by James KELLY, and remained a number of years.  Daniel KNOWLES, second son of Springwater’s first settler, took up the farm owned by H. H. HICKOK, and lived there till his death.  His widow, in 1826, married Abner GOODRICH, who kept tavern for a time, and sold in 1827 to J. WELLS, he to S. MACOMBER, and he to Nancy JOHNSON, who, in 1876, deeded to the present occupant.  Peter WELCH, in 1813, took up his abode on Ball Hill, and died there.  A son, Daniel, is living in the town.  Joseph WEMETT, of Canada, in 1821 bought of Peter WELCH, and his life earned for him a good name.  The pioneers upon the farm of Lorenzo INGRAHAM were Hiram and Samuel HOGANS; a pile of stones marks the site of their cabin.  They sold to John GREEN, who, with Lamb, his father-in-law, put up the old log house now standing on the north part of the farm.  They sold to Daniel DRAPER, who, in 1825, sold to Andrew INGRAHAM, who died in 1855.  (Hunt’s Hollow was, in an early day, a stronghold of Methodism.) 

In the year 1813, Reuben MANN, and Humphrey, George, and James ADAMS, three brothers from Syracuse, came into the valley at the head of Canadice lake and took up farms.  MANN took up lot 19, on the WAITE farm; H. ADAMS the central portion of Daniel KNOWLES’ farm, and the other brothers lot 16.  Jonathan CHAPLIN built a log house on the south part of lot 11, and cleared about 20 acres.  He sold, in 1827, to Abram WILEY, who gave it to his daughter, the wife of Josiah JACKMAN. 

H. ADAMS sold to S. BASHFORD, who died on the place.  Mrs. BASHFORD and her sons, John and Samuel, lived there until 1827, when sale was made to Samuel SKELLENGER, who dying on the place, his heirs disposed of the farm to Thomas REYNOLDS.  The south part of the farm was selected in an early day by Hiram PITTS for services as a surveyor of the “Hornby Tract,” and was first occupied by Elijah PARKER.  James ADAMS lived on the south part of the farm until about 1822, when he sold to Simon PEMBERTON, a mulatto, whose wife was an Indian.  William CLARE bought him out in 1825, and eight years later sold to Josiah JACKMAN. 

Reuben MANN set out a bed of tansy as a provision for the future, and his forethought was not vainly exercised.  Whisky and tansy were soon in requisition as a remedy for the “shakes.”  He sold, in 1822, to Jacob CANNON, and went to Indiana.  Thomas PEABODY, in 1818, under-brushed eight acres on the bottom, for MANN, for a smooth-bore gun.  CANNON, in 1823, made the first brick in town.  After making some 15,000 he was taken sick, and hired PEABODY to burn them.  The next season the two ran an extensive kiln.  J. WICKS made brick at the same place for two years after CANNON had sold out.  B. G. WAITE succeeded CANNON upon the place, whereon he died in 1861.  When he came to town he drove a span of horses, and in his wagon carried $400 in silver, which lay at the bottom of an old box partially filled with iron, and without a cover.  A son of Mr. WAITE, Edwin G., lives in California, has been in both houses of that State’s Legislature, and is now the naval officer at the port of San Francisco.  The eastern half of the WAITE farm was first taken up by Asa BUSHNELL, in 1815.  Two log houses once stood there, one just south of the gully below the road, the other north of the woods in the south part of the lot.  Abram Mc’KEE, Ralph STANWOOD, Robert BALDWIN, and Green WAITE occupied them at an early date.  Mr. WAITE, or “Uncle Green,” brother to Benjamin, had a large family.  It is related that he bought the company of Wm. S. GILBERT at times when downcast by the thoughts of a heavy debt and the support of a family, most of whom were girls.  The cloud was lifting, when Gilbert, one day meeting him, remarked, “Well, uncle, how goes the matter now?”   “Better,” was the reply; “I am getting out of debt, and my girls are marrying off, besides.”  How many have you at home now, uncle?”  Only 14,” was the answer. 

During 1814,  11 families were added to the population.  Early in spring Ebenezer KNAPP settled on the HARRIS farm, and his brother Samuel, took the WHEATLEY place.  Heber HARRIS soon bought out Ebenezer, and dying, was succeeded by Alba HARRIS, his son, who is the pioneer visitor of the town.  The farm of Amasa T. WINCH was the temporary home of James SEELEY, a man in poor circumstances.  He sold to Robert SMITH, and returned east.  Isaiah SMITH, father of Robert, lived with him.  Humphrey BUMP, the next owner, sold, in 1836, to John WHITTAKER, who died there.  A. W. AUSTIN and W. MARRETT were other owners.  

Upon the non-resident lands of Ray and Peabody, in the southern part of the town, the first settlers were Jedediah HOWLAND and Eli DARLING.  HOWLAND soon left.  He had two sons, Samuel and Labin; the former was drafted in 1812, and the latter, taking his place, was killed in battle,  just three weeks after his departure.  Dr. WILLIAMS and John REEVES were residents of the farm in an early day.  Upon the lands of Peabody Jabez HICKS was an early settler.  James BURNETT built a house on the farm of Gabriel ADAMS, on the shore of Canadice lake.  His wife died, and he sold, in 1815, to Jabez WARD, who bought the Amos DIXON property, below the lake, and, in 1817, exchanged it for young cattle.  During the following winter he cleared most of the land between ADAMS’ place and the lower road to browse his stock.  He sold to Isaac WESTBROOK, from New Jersey, in 1834.  WESTBROOK died, and his heirs sold to Josiah JACKMAN, and he to the present owner.  Charles HYDE made improvements on the BULLOCK farm, and sold to Daniel MORLEY, who was killed by the falling of a limb while chopping, 1828.  He sold 60 acres to F. CRATSLEY in 1824.  His widow, in 1834, sold to John MORGAN, who resided there till 1858.  Benjamin CRANE and Patrick COSTELLO are now owners of the farm.  Amos JONES built a saw-mill at the foot of Canadice lake, and westward of the present mill erected a small cabin, where he boarded the mill hands.  Duncan CHRISTIE bought out JONES, and on the cabin site built a comfortable house.  Owen PEUSEL is the present owner.  John BOWEN built a house on the farm of A. B. BECKER; sold to Ezra SPENCER, who exchanged with his brother.  He devised to L. D. BEERS, who exchanged for SPRINGWATER lands.  The farm of A. C. BROWN was first settled by Rufus GAREY.  Daniel HONEYWELL built another house near the road.  Mrs. GAREY was a fortune-teller, and her house was a favorite resort of the many who resorted to Ball Hill for the huckleberries which abounded there in that day in their season.  On the farm of Shepard MACOMBER a temporary cabin was built by Alden WHELOCK.  Benjamin JERSEY was an early settler there, but of short sojourn.  Andrew WEMETT lived there in 1821.  Schuyler GRANGER died there.  His heirs sold to Henry W. PULVER. 

In 1815, Benjamin, Peter, and Philip SNYDER came to Ball Hill.  The first took the REMY place, Peter the WHITBECK farm, and Philip the east portion of the lands of the brothers Orlando G. and Andrew BROWN.  The west part of their farm had been taken the year before by Jonathan WATERS, from Sheffield, Massachusetts.  WATERS, while living there, lost a son, Willis, by drowning in Hemlock lake, and his wife, in an insane fit, literally roasted herself in the fire.  WATERS sold to Amos DIXON, and, with his children, went to Michigan.  Philip SNYDER sold to D. ADAMS in 1838, and from him title descended to Ira MERRILLS and Jairus COLEGROVE, who sold to the brothers named.  Benjamin SNYDER sold to E. MACOMBER and H. GREEN.  J. DAVIDSON, S. PHIPPS, S. R. HICKOK, and J. DEWEY were successive owners prior to John REMY, the present possessor.  Peter SNYDER and Captain GRANBY, a sea-captain in the war of 1812, were almost simultaneous settlers on this farm.  The captain soon died.  SNYDER sold to John CHAMBERLIN, he to I. W. MITCHELL, and Hart and Murray, Isaac GIFFORD, and Jacob WHITBECK; and so has begun a list to be much lengthened ere 1976 has completed another century.  Passing to the northeast portion of the town, we find the farm of D. W. BEAM.  Alvin ANDERSON moved into a log house found untenanted, and laid claim to the north 50 acres.  In 1818, John RAY, Sr., took the south portion of the farm.  RAY sold to ANDERSON, who lived on the farm till 1838, when he sold to Nathan N. HERRICK, who, in 1844, sold to A. B. HEAZLETT, who disposed of the property to Levi PERSONS, and he to the present owner. 

The FAULKNER farm was settled by Elisha PRYOR.  The next year, Silas REYNOLDS, Sr., became owner, and sold to a man named YOUNGS, who died there.  R. HAMILTON and WILDS were residents upon the place years afterwards.  REYNOLDS was a Methodist minister by profession, a shoemaker by trade, and knew many temporary homes in the town, wherein he finally died.  In 1815, Eber WEED, from Geneva, purchased and occupied the farm on which William M. WILSON has lived for many years.  The old barn built by WEED was the second framed one in town.  He sold previous to 1829 to Jonas SKINNER, and he, in 1834, to A. WILEY.  The farms of William RICHARDSON, Firman THOMPSON (north part), and the lot of William WARD once belonged to this farm.  Matthew STANDISH, in 1822, built the present house on the WARD lot, sold to Deacon Isaac MERWIN in 1824, and he to WILEY in 1834.  Since then, Bethuel DAVIS, Sylvester EVENS, and Jonas QUICK were owners; after them the WARDS became possessors.  Abel EASTMAN, in 1820, built a log house on the RICHARDSON portion.  M. STANDISH sold to WILEY, he to BORDEN, then from WILSON to the present owner.  Abram WILEY sold the WILSON portion to I. S. BORDEN, and he to William M. WILSON, who deeded to his daughter, the wife of Chester RICHARDSON.  The first cabin on the lands of Luke JOHNSON  was put up in 1815 by John BADGRO.  In 1823, Abram D. PATTERSON, of New Hampshire, built a log house on the farm, and in 1835 went to Michigan.  Daniel PEABODY, from Manlius, built another on the south line, and went in 1835.  The present possessor came into ownership in 1840 of some 90 acres, and by purchase has become owner of 250 acres.  In 1815, Joshua HERRICK settled on the farm once owned by B. G. WAITE.  Four years later, he sold his interest to Reuben GILBERT.  David PHILLIPS lived here, and then Ephraim TUCKER.  In 1835 the present house was built, and Levi WALLING was the first occupant; after him were Nelson WAITE, Samuel DARLING, Thomas WAITE, and lastly, the TUCKERS. 

David BADGRO, on leaving the GROUT place in 1816, built upon the site of the house in which Caroline TUCKER resides.  Jerome TUCKER resided there afterwards.  Elijah GOODRICH in 1828 built on the premises on the Hemlock lake road, and resided there many years.  Ephraim TUCKER had six sons and two daughters.  Benjamin and Minerva are living in town.  Ephraim once bought of a Springwater tanner a pair of cow-hide boots, and took a morning walk through a heavy dew to break them.  Thoroughly wet, and travel became difficult.  TUCKER sat down on a log, took off his boots, examined them carefully, and said, with a sigh, “Green enough to do a good spring’s work.” 

In 1816, Robert COLLISTER settled on the north place, belonging to Charles P. WEMETT.  The farm was obtained by I. CHAMBERLIN, who kept tavern for a time, and then sold to Amos DIXON, he to Daniel PERRY, and later became the property of the present incumbent.  During the same year John SIMMONS built on the Joel COYKENDALL farm.  In 1824, A. SEVERANCE became owner, then Seth BENSON, and, in 1831, the present owner.  The red house standing west of the road was erected by FORD and SEVERANCE on the corner of the HOAGLAND farm, and variously moved till reaching its present station.  In this building was kept the first store in town.  Artemus SEVERANCE and John WINCH were at Plattsburg shortly after the battle there, peddling boots and shoes.  One CHAPMAN was first on the SLOUT farm; T. JONES, of Richmond, next; then Nathan BEERS and Levi SIMONS, who ran a distillery, and introduced the first fanning-mill into town.  BARNARD and ROCKAFELLOW made potash here.  The former kept tavern several years at this place.  J. ROBINSON, D. SNOOK, J. S. ALMY, and J. HOWARD were predecessors of Nancy STOUT upon the place. 

Isaiah SMITH and his son Robert built upon the farm of William GANUNG; here Robert’s father-in-law, BECRAFT, lived till the place was sold to John SHANK, who sold to BROWN in 1836.  John OGDEN, the next owner, sold a few acres to Asa LUCAS, to enable him to reach the road, and disposed of the farm to Aiken STARK, and he sold to the present owner.

The north barn was built by subscription, for mutual accommodation, by the neighbors.  Joseph LOBDELL and Jesse STUART were original settlers on the farm of Clark RIX.  When Jesse STUART came to Ball Hill he bought 10 bushels of wheat of Seth KNOWLES, at $2.50 per bushel.  He paid $10 down, worked 10 days in harvesting, and threshed wheat in the fall for every 10th bushel; earning 12 bushels of wheat, and ¾ of a bushel of timothy seed, which he paid Seth, and was still a debtor.  The remainder was thrown in.  Upon the farm of John STRUBLE, Thomas JOHNSON was the pioneer settler.  Amos PECK occupied a house for a year or so on the southeast corner of the farm.  In 1833, George STRUBLE came into possession of the place.  William OSBORN had previously lived upon the farm.  The same year, Jenks BAGLEY, from Phelps, made his home near the south branch of the gully in the east part of Henry THORPE’s farm.  The place was desolate and unfit for habitation, yet B. ROBINSON, following him, lived there, four years.  Henry CARLTON, from Rush, built a house near the present one.  Various persons have owned the place. 

In 1827, George ADAMS lived upon what is now part of this farm.  He was followed after some years by Thomas HALLETT.  Maurice BROWN, an owner of the farm, has been a supervisor, a justice, and is a lawyer resident in Springwater.  Jabez NORTHRUP, with a family numbering 13, settled on the farm now occupied by Stephen MILLER.  NORTHRUP was a carpenter, and erected a frame house; it was better and larger than those of his neighbors.  Here he lived till 1837, when he died, aged 74 years.  Before his death, his children, once 11 in number, had so settled about him that the conch-shell could call all the living to their dinner.  The family not only cleared the homestead, but 300 acres in the neighborhood.  Anderson NORTHRUP, Dr. CAMPBELL, J. HEWETT, McCROSSEN and COLGROVE, were successive owners.  Enoch MACUMBER, in 1816, took up a part of the farm sold last year by his son Cyrus to Joel BAILEY in 1875.  Orange PORTER was the first settler on the Asa DALRYMPLE and Alva CASKEY farms.  After eight years’ experience, he sold and went west. 

In 1829, Adam STRUBLE became owner, and so remained a quarter of a century; then sold to W. G. HOPPOUGH, and he to Zelotus COYKENDALL.  L. G. WORDON settled on the farm of F. D. HOPPOUGH.  After the lapse of three years, he sold to Jonathan FOX, who ran an ashery for a time, and then sold to E. A. POND, who was the first town clerk.  P. SPROWLES resided here two years; sold to Chas. HYDE, Sr.  In the year in question, Dr. Joseph SMITH built a cabin on the D. S. BEAM place.  Later owners were James THATCHER, Palmer ROSEMAN, B. Haines, Halsey WHITTAKER, and J. B. SAYRE.  Jabez DARLING settled the Peter C. SWARTS farm.  At the expiration of a year, Reuben HUFF bought him out.  Then came Silas REYNOLDS, Horace WINFIELD, Albert McINTYRE, Floyd RICHARDS, and Joseph WINFIELD.  

The first school-house in that district was situated on the “Middle road,” near the north line of the farm.  The south farm was first occupied by a cabin built by David ARMSTRONG; here William JENKINS afterwards lived.  A single man, named Montgomery, began a chopping on the Asa HARTSON farm; while cutting down a large oak-tree one day, a knot falling fractured his skull.  He was taken to William BROWN’s on the ANDRUS farm and trepanned, but died within a few days.  Peter WALLING, town clerk for several years, lived on this farm.  Eber WEED lived on this farm 10 years; then, selling out, went to Jerusalem.  Specifications and drawings were prepared by Reuben HAMILTON for Eber, and a petition was made to our Legislature for assistance to enable him to test the practicability of propelling boats on the Erie canal by steam; he was possibly one of the first to move in that direction.  Superstition was not extinct, since the wife of Eber was accredited to have supernatural power.  It is said that at the funeral of Samuel BASHFORD, on the KNOWLES farm, a horse-shoe nailed over the front door denied her entrance to the house. 

In 1815, Ephraim TUCKER and Nathaniel BEARMORE settled on the farm of Coe H. COYKENDALL.  Justus DAVIS also took up a portion of the farm, the south half of which is now owned by H. H. HICKOX.  Andrew HAMPTON, in 1819, bought of TUCKER and sold to J. CHAMBERLAIN, and he in 1833 to Jotham COYKENDALL, and he to the present owner.  The place owned by J. BARNEY was taken by Jonas QUICK.  The first house on the David HOPPOUGH farm was built by SISSON.  Benjamin CONKLIN, son of Abram, built the first house on the Allen HUFF farm, in 1816.  Andrew BECKWORTH, in 1816, was the first owner as settler on the farm of Hiram COLEGROVE.  He sold to Harley WHITE.  Daniel BEARDSLEY, in 1818, was the first settler on the place now owned by Lewis RIX.  The earliest owners of the John PURSEL farm were, in 1816, Abeather PHILLIPS and Asa FARRER.  The farms of A. W. DOOLITTLE were taken up in 1819 by the brothers James and Henry HEWITT.  The first settler on the east portion of the John F. LUCAS farm was a man named Fero, and on the west part lived VAN AUTRICK.  James HAMPTON, the first settler on the Henry SLINGERLAND farm, came from Scipio in 1820.  A man named Arnold settled, in 1820, on the farm of Henry DOOLITTLE.  About 1837, the FRISBIE brothers built a saw-mill in the gully; they sold in 1838 to BROWN and MILLS, BROWN to MILLS, MILLS to CLARK, he to DOOLITTLE, and he to Jonathan FERBUSH.  It burned down, but no insurance was paid.  The highway from Springwater town line to the landing at the head of Hemlock lake was surveyed May 6, 1815, but the fear of miasmatic disease retarded settlement till 1828.  Deacon ADAMS came from New Hampshire, in 1820, to the farm of Wm. S. DOOLITTLE.  On the morning of August 31, 1829, his house was struck by lightning.  Three daughters occupied the same bed.  One was killed instantly, one lived five days, while the third, lying between the others, was not injured.


HTML by Dianne Thomas

Copyright 2006 - 2016


These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.

[NY History and Genealogy]                                         [ALHN]