in the Rushville Cemetery
If you would like to submit Ontario Cemetery data to this site please contact me.
Copyright resides with the contributor. Transcribed by Dianne Thomas.
Return to Home Page Return to Rushville Cemetery Index
Don Blodgett Jan. 2003
Following are copies of newspaper articles and entries
from Mr. George Walther diary, covering the events of construction of the Civil
War Monument and dedication. As told in the article, the monument was first
located down hill nearer to Main Street, (about where the side walk is now
located). With the reconstruction of North Main Street, the monument would have
been in the way and would most likely been moved, and could have been damaged.
12, 1886 (from the Diary of George Walther) — Worked on Rushville cemetery at
Foundation for the Soldiers Monument for several days.
- October 18, 1886, (Ontario County Times) Rushville-The citizens of Rushville
and vicinity are to put up a monument in the cemetery at this place in memory of
the deceased soldiers and sailors.
Rushville - Feb. 7, 1887, (Ontario County Times) Our soldiers’ monument was put up last week by W. & J. Littlejohn, of Seneca Falls. The committees having the matter in charge say that they put it up larger than the contract calls for. It is made of three bases, a die, and a figure of a soldier. The first base is of lime stone, the second and third bases and the die are Barre granite, and the figure is of Italian marble, the whole being fourteen and one-half feet high, and is put up without a scratch or nick. It is a showy monument and is where all passing along north maim street have a fine view of it.
- June 13, 1887 (Ontario County Times) Mr. Littlejohn, of Seneca Falls, is here
taking down our soldiers’ monument, and is going to remove it to a better and
more suitable lot. It is to be dedicated on Thursday, June 23,1887. An address
of welcome will be delivered by Major Hanford Struble, while the dedication
address is to be delivered by Capt. John Raines, of Canandaigua. Many prominent
men of Yates and Ontario counties will be present, and will be heard from, and
in the evening the veterans will hold a campfire, which, it is expected, will be
a very pleasant affair. As the committees are making preparations for a grand
Time, everybody is invited to come.
- June 27, 1887 (Ontario County Times) Our
soldiers’ monument is moved to a much better spot than where it was first put
up, by the generosity of Mrs. B. C. McDonald, who gave
as a free gift a very fine lot in a sightly spot in the cemetery upon which
to place it, and the trustees of the cemetery giving another lot beside it. All
have seen it where it now stands; pronounce it as fine a piece of workmanship as
they ever saw. It will bear inspection. The community do, and have reason, to
feel proud of it, and the firm that put it up, W. & J. LittleJohn, of Seneca
Falls, have reason to feel proud of it, too. On Thursday last, the people of
this section, with representatives from Albert M. Murray Post, G. A. R.,
Canandaigua, Sherrill Post, of Gorham, Hays Post, of Middlesex, Post Sloan, of
Penn Yan, and Cook Post, of Dundee, joined with Scott Post 319, in dedicating
the monument to the memory or our deceased comrades. For several days the
veterans and the people had been making preparations for the occasion. The
weather that had been Lowry and damp for several days was warm and fine, and at
the appointed time the Rushville cornet band gave the signal for coming together
for the service, at the Opera House. — Although capacious seemingly for all
occasions in a town like this, it was found to be much too small to hold the
number present, it being estimated that from three to four hundred were unable
to get in, and were compelled to remain outside. The services were complete in
all respects. The glee club rendered some very fine and appropriate pieces, the
band never did so well—they out—did themselves; they surpassed anything they
ever did before. The address of welcome that we expected Judge Struble to
deliver (he being ill and unable to attend) was delivered by the Hon. D. Morris
of Penn Yan, a former townsman, and proved to be full of interest and profit.
The recitation by Mrs. H. A. Pratt was rendered in a very pleasing and
impressive manner, the words and manner or delivery being more than good—it
was grand. The dedicatory address by the Hon. John Raines wad of such a
character that it is to be published. Then it will speak for itself, and we have
no need to speak of his delivery, as every one knows, and what I might say would
be useless. Remarks were made by the Hon.
G. R. Cornwell and Lieut. Randolph, of Penn Yan. Both exhibited much earnestness and patriotism. One feature of the occasion was the raising of about $200, necessary to clear the association of debt. All the speakers, with their voices and money, rendered us great assistance in raisin, the amount. Maj. F. 0. Chamberlain, of Canandaigua, sent his check for $25. Hon. Geo. R. Cornwell did good work by going into the audience and working with his usual energy like a good fellow, until the amount was raised, when the meeting adjourned for refreshments of pork and beans, &c., upon the school house grounds, which the ladies had prepared for all who came. In the evening the veterans held a campfire, which we have not time to speak of at present.
A big crowd Gathers to Witness the Soldiers’ Monument Dedication.
July 1, 1887 (Ontario County Journal) Last week Thursday was a great day for the
veterans of Rushville and vicinity.
gathered on that occasion in large numbers, together with their sisters, cousins
and aunts, to dedicate the beautiful soldiers’ monument, which stands out
prominently in the cemetery of that handsome village. The streets were gaily
decorated with the national colors. When Senator Raines, of this village, arose
to deliver the dedication address in the opera house, the room was crowded to
its utmost capacity, and the immense throng overflowed down the stairs and into the
street below. It was a patriotic and appreciative audience, and Senator
Raines’ eloquent and fitting address was received with frequent and
enthusiastic applause. After the speaking an effort to raise the sum remaining
due on the monument and expenses of erection met with prompt success, and we are
glad to note among the donors, Senator Raines and Maj. Frank 0. Chamberlain, of
this village, both of whom responded liberally.
fare was plentifully served on the lawn of the school premises, and when a
sudden and unexpected shower drove the veterans and their friends from the
beloved army bean they sought refuge in the opera house, where an interesting
entertainment was afforded in the way of witty and eloquent speeches, humorous
songs and recitations. Senator Raines and District Attorney Armstrong made very
pleasing speeches, which were received with great enthusiasm. At the close,
Senator Raines suggested that before the assemblage was dismissed they
acknowledge Him from whom all blessings flow by uniting in the singing of the
Doxology and then be dismissed with the benediction, which was done, and the
assemblage dispersed with most pleasing recollections of the day.
Html by Dianne Thomas
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2008 - 2015
[NY History and Genealogy]