Ontario County Organized Churches
Return to Home Page Return to Church Index
Kindly transcribed by Dianne Thomas & Deborah Spencer
History of Ontario Co., NY
Bristol Churches pg 241 - 243
The FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH of
Bristol was organized in January, 1799. Public worship has begun with settlement.
Professors of religion united with the church at East Bloomfield.
In 1793, Rev. Zadoc HUNN, visiting western New York, held meetings
at different settlements, and finally met the Bristol settlers and
preached to them. Rev. John
SMITH occasionally preached to them.
The Rev. Seth WILLISTEN had been sent out by New England churches
to perfect church organization. He
assisted Mr. HUNN to establish the church, with the following membership:
Isaac HUNN, George CODDING, Sarah CODDING, Ephraim and Lydia
WILDER, Nathaniel and Hannah FISHER, Chauncey and Polly ALLEN, Marcius and
Amerilus MARSH, William and Lydia GOODING, Samuel and Phoebe MALLERY,
Selah PITTS, Mr. FOSTER, James GOODING, Alden SEARS, and Thomas VINCENT.
Others soon joined the society from the families represented.
In July following Rev. Joseph GROVER visited the society, and
preached to them as a missionary. He
received a call to become their pastor, in October, and accepted.
He came to the town with his family February 24, 1800, and was
installed June 11. Mr. GROVER
performed pastoral duty about 14 years, and having become incapacitated
for service by infirmity, was relieved, on his own request, from
preaching, but remained a nominal pastor till his death, July 11, 1826,
aged 83 years.
In June, 1814, Rev. Ezekiel CHAPMAN
began his labors with the church, and was installed colleague pastor
October 13. The ordination
sermon was preached by Rev. GRISWOLD.
Rev. CHAPMAN remained pastor till March, 1820, when, at his own
request, he was dismissed. A
year or two passed without a regular pastor.
Rev. Aaron C. COLLINS met with them
frequently. Rev. Archy B.
Laurence supplied the pulpit from May, 1822, for a brief interval.
Other preachers were Revs. Edwin BRONSON, Warren DAY, and S. C.
BROWN. Ebenezer RAYMOND began
his labors October, 1824, and continued as stated supply till 1830.
In the spring of that year William P. JACKSON began, and after a
short time was succeeded by Edwin BRONSON, and he by Rev. BRYSON.
Rev. JACKSON was installed pastor February 19, 1834, and dissolved
pastoral relation August 23, 1836. Rev.
Eliphalet A. PLATT continued his ministration till, April, 1841. Rev. Hiram HARRIS, beginning April 25, 1841, closed in 1843.
In the fall of 1843, Rev. E. C. WINCHESTER preached to the society.
He became their pastor, and so continued till March, 1846. In August, 1846, Rev. Timothy STOWE began his ministration.
He was followed, in April, 1850, by Rev. H. B. PIERPONT, who
preached one year. The
succession of pastorship is further shown as follows: Rev. TYLER, 1851; Rev. Lewis P. FROST, 1852-54; Rev. Silas C.
BROWN, one year; Rev. Jeremiah WOODRUFF, one year; Rev. Harry E. WOODCOCK,
one year; Rev. A. SPENCER, May, 1858, to fall of 1859; Rev. Ezra JONES,
October, 1859, till 1861; Rev. Milton BURTOLPH, from April, 1862, till
same month, 1866; Rev. S. M. DAY, 1867-69; Rev. Nathaniel T. YEOMANS,
1869-74. In June, 1874, Rev.
William DEVEY began, and still continues his pastoral charge over the
First deacons and succession have been
George CODDING, James GOODING, chosen 1803; Samuel CROSBY, 1806; Marshus
MARSH, 1815; Theodore BROWN and Stephen A. CODDING, 1832; J. INGRAHAM,
1837; Ezra LUTHER, 1838. David
C. SEARS was chosen May, 1872. In
1823 the church was in care of the Ontario presbytery; in 1844 it
withdrew, and joined the Ontario association of Congregational churches. In 1804 it numbered 78 members; in 1825, 68; in 1834, 150; in
1836, 125. Revivals added
extensively to the church, while wholesome discipline reduced the number
to about 35. HOTCKIN says,
“The first edifice exclusively for the worship of God in the Genesee
country was erected by this church. It
was a log building, constructed of unhewn logs raised to a sufficient
height to admit of a gallery, and furnished with a very plain desk and
seats.” It stood on lot 5,
between the lands of Faunce and George C. CODDING.
In the year 1811 it was deemed advisable to build a new
meeting-house; it was finished in 1814, and on October 13 the dedicatory
sermon was preached by Rev. E. JACKSON. The dimensions are 45 by 52 feet. A permanent sale of pews was made, and those below the
gallery brought $5,875; gallery $999.
Total, $6,874. The
latest death of original pew-owners was Artemus BRIGGS, of Richmond.
The building, standing on ground (1 ˝ acres) donated by Anthony
LOW, was refitted in 1832, and again in 1846 was thoroughly repaired.
The society has a parsonage, to which is attached a small lot of
land. A Sabbath-school was
organized about 1814, and has been sustained till the present.
The church took strong anti-slavery ground in 1842, and bore a
leading part in the cause of temperance from 1831.
The BAPTIST CHURCH of Bristol has
experienced considerable transformation.
Among the early settlers of Bloomfield and Bristol were individuals
who had belonged to Baptist churches in New England. They held meetings, and deemed it advisable to form a church.
A council was held June 13, 1799.
Elder Daniel IRISH was moderator, Solomon GOODALE, clerk.
A statement was made, and received with favor.
A church was organized as the First Baptist Church in Bloomfield,
with 17 members, part of whom were from Bristol.
Preaching was done at residences by Elder FARNUM and others.
During 1803 a log meeting-house was built on land now owned by A.
C. HATHAWAY, about one mile north of Baptist Hill. In February, 1805, the Bristol members requested a letter of
fellowship and dismission for the purpose of organizing a church in that
town. The request was
The FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH of Bristol
was organized February 7, 1805, with the following members: Elder S.
GOODALE; Jabez and Elizabeth HICKS; Asher and Esther COBURN; John and Mary
GREGG; James and Betsey CASE; Jonathan PHILLIPS; Simeon, Gamaliel, Lydia,
Matilda, and Abigail SIMMONS; Aaron and Otis HICKS; Lydia BOWEN; Betsey
BOYD; John, Betsey, and Sallie CHAPMAN; Lucy and Jonathan COLBURN; Sally,
William, Jr., and Rebecca FRANCIS; Irena DUNMORE; Hannah, Luther, and
Priscilla PHILLIPS; Luscomb and Polly CODDING; Samuel and Esther GORSE;
Delano SEARS, Deborah BRIGGS, Polly McCROMB, Lovina REED, May KIMBEL,
Sally BODDEN, and Phoebe and Margaret CRANDALL; Rev. Solomon GOODALE
became their pastor, and held regular and stated meetings in different
convenient localities. Numbers
increased. The remaining members of the Bloomfield church joined them,
and in 1807 the log meeting-house in Bloomfield was sold to Lyman ISBELL.
They now built a log church near the present site of the
Universalist church. In a few
years it was moved to a site just north of the present Baptist church.
During 1812-14 the present church edifice was erected, and has been
from time to time repaired. In November, 1805, John CHAPMAN, Jabez HICKS, and Jonathan
HICKS were chosen deacons, and were ordained as such during the month
following. In 1808, about 40
members of this church, residents of Pittstown (Richmond), asked a letter
of fellowship and dismission for the purpose of organizing a Baptist
church in that town. The
request was granted, and a church organized in May, 1808.
A SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH of Bristol was
organized in 1821, from the first, with Elder Eli HASKELL and 24 members.
The elder met with this church and held meetings for a year or so,
but so many moved west that the remainder reunited with the Fourth Baptist
church. The oldest living
member is Mrs. Lucy HICKS. The oldest male members now living in town is Gilbert
The METHODIST CHURCH in Bristol dates
its organization as a society from 1846, but, long before, a class had
been formed, and, as early as 1800, William CASE had been licensed by the
Episcopal Methodist church to preach, had received a permit to be a
missionary among the Indians of western New York, and was the pioneer of
the denomination in town. A
year or two later, Revs. McELHANA, John KAIMBELIN, DENSMORE, LACY, and
MINCHELL had visited these new settlements.
They traveled a circuit of a 150 miles on horseback, from
settlement to settlement, and held
summer meetings in the woods. A
class was organized in 1806, consisting of James CASE, Betsey CASE, James
McCARTNEY, Bathsheba McCARTNEY, Miss McCARTNEY, Mr. JOHNSON, William
BOUGHTON, and others, making 11 or 12 in all.
James CASE was class-leader the first year; William BOUGHTON was
also a class-leader. Quarterly
meetings were attended at No. 9. For years those removing or dying equaled those joining.
Their meetings were held at the school-house south of John
SISSON’s, on the corners, or at the house of James CASE, who resided on
the farm now owned by E. BARRINGER. A
new class was organized in 1815, and George REED, Jr., was chosen
class-leader. The class was
connected with the church at Richmond.
In 1846, organization was effected, and Ephraim GOODING, George
GOODING, Abner REED, Alanson REED, and Ward TOLMAN were chosen trustees.
The CHRISTIAN CHURCH had those who
believed in its tenets and followed its requirements.
Elders Philip SANFORD and David MELLARD held meetings about 1824,
at what was called the Ganyard school-house, and during favorable weather
the meetings were conducted in the adjoining grove.
A meeting was called, December 19, 1829, at the house of Daniel
REED, for the purpose of forming a church, and Elder SANFORD was present.
It was deemed expedient to organize a society, to be called the
“Christian Church” of Bristol, and consisting of the following-named
persons: Otis BLISS, David and Polly WHEATON, Caleb BLISS, John and
Catharine HICKS, Daniel and Sally ROOD, Betsey PIXLEY, and Sally SKINNER.
The organization lasted about 20 years.
The FIRST UNIVERSALIST CHURCH in Bristol dates its origin far back to the early years, but its organization is quite recent. In 1828, Rev. Oliver ACKLEY, of the Universalist denomination, held meetings at the school-house on Baptist Hill, and, in warm weather, in the grove near the residence of J. W. NICHOLS. There had been occasional meetings held prior to 1828 by Rev. Mr. MORTON. Within a few years, William J. REESE, G. W. MONTGOMERY, and William QUEIL held stated meeting in the school-building mentioned. Rev. QUEIL was one of the first resident ministers. In the year 1836 a church edifice was erected. It was built of cobble-stones, and stood near the site of the present structure. The money to build was mainly raised by subscription. The deed was given to Joshua PHILLIPS, Lyman HAWES, and about 70 others, to be used and occupied as a site for a meeting- or school-house, and for no other purpose. All subscribers of notable amounts are named in the deed. It was a two-storied building; the upper room for the society, and would seat about 250 persons, one room below was occupied as a school-room. In the spring of 1837 it was deemed advisable to organize a society; accordingly, a meeting was held April 14, 1837, and such society formed. Nathan WEST was chairman, and Nathan FISHER, Benjamin SIMMONS, and Anson PACKARD were elected trustees. In 1861 the interest of the school district was purchased by the society; the old chapel was taken down, and the present frame built, with a seating capacity of these hundred. At a meeting held February 2, 1872, a church was organized, called the “First Universalist Church” of Bristol, and consisted of the following named individuals: Rev. L. P. BLACKMORE, Lida BLACKMORE; Aaron F., Eunice, and A. Carlisle ORCUTT; Elkanah and Sarah S. ANDREWS; W. Scott and Eleanor A. HICKS, A. C., H. A., and Mary HATHAWAY; Almeda PARK; Mrs. May E.; Thomas , Elias M., Samuel B., and Roxana DORRENCE; Robert B. SIMMONS, P. F. HICKS, Marcus L. FRANCIS, M. E. PAULL, E. M. and George BAILEY; S. A. JONES, Eliza PHILLIPS, Zadia CASE, Prudence ADAMS, and Looice FLETCHER. The officers chosen were Rev. L. P. BLACKMORE, moderator; Mrs. Lida BLACKMORE, clerk; George BAILEY, treasurer; and Aaron F. ORCUTT and Robert B. SIMMONS, deacons. A hundred families are now represented in the parish. The pastors, in the order of their succession, have been as follows: Oliver ACKLEY, Jacob CHASE, William QUEAL, Samuel GOFF, Orin ROBERTS, J. B. JOHNSON, C. H. DUTTON, George W. GAGE, U. M. FISK, J. W. BAILEY, J. R. SAGE, W. W. LOVEJOY, L. C. BROWN, L. P. BLACKMORE, Henry JEWETT and John F. GATES, who came to the church October 11, 1874. A large and flourishing Sabbath school has been organized since 1862, with Richard SIMMONS for the first superintendent, and Elkanah ANDREWS for the present officer. The school numbers 100 members, and is kept up throughout the year.
BRISTOL CHURCHES pg 436 - 438
History of Ontario Co., NY Pub. 1893
Bristol has been called the town of many churches, there having been no less then seven society organizations in the town since its first settlement. The oldest of these, and in fact one of the oldest in the county, is that known as the First Congregational Church of Bristol, which was organized in January, 1779, although Congregational services were held in the town as early as 1793, conducted by that earnest Christian worker, Rev. Zadoc
HUNN; and who was followed by Rev. John SMITH. The first members were Isaac
HUNN, George and Sarah CODDING, Ephraim and Lydia WILDER, Nathaniel and Hannah
FISHER, Chauncey and Polly ALLEN, Marcius and Amerilus MARSH, William and Lydia
GOODING, Samuel and Phebe MALLORY, Selah PITTS, Mr. FOSTER, James
GOODING, Alden SEARS and Thomas VINCENT. Rev. Joseph GROVER was called to the pastorate, accepting and moving to the town in February, 1800, being the first of a long succession of pastors who have ministered to the spiritual wants of the people of Bristol. Other early pastors and supplies were Revs. Ezekiel
CHAPMAN, Aaron C. COLLINS, A. B. LAWRENCE, Edwin BRONSON, Warren DAY, S. C.
BROWN, Ebenezer RAYMOND, W. P. JACKSON, Mr. BRYSON, Mr. JACKSON, E. A.
PLATT, Hiram HARRIS, E. C. WINCHESTER, Timothy STOWE, H. B. PIERPONT and others in succession. In 1823 this church was under the charge of the Ontario presbytery, but in 1844 it withdrew and became Congregational. The first primitive meeting-house of this society is said to have been "the first edifice exclusively for the worship of God in the Genesee country"
It was built of logs and stood on lot five. The second edifice was erected in 1813-14, to which subsequent enlargements and repairs have resulted in a substantially new structure. It stands north of Bristol Center, about three-fourths of a mile.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014