Ontario County Organized Churches
from History of Ontario Co., NY
Return to Home Page Return to Church Index
Kindly transcribed by Deborah Spencer
History of Ontario Co., NY
Published 1878 pg 258 - 259
The first resident of
the town to make profession of religion was Rev. Ebenezer INGRAHAM, who
preached the first sermon in the little log school-house that stood near
the elm tree, on the farm of Thomas H. COSTELLO.
This was in 1809. The
next school-house in that district was near the burying-ground.
There, in January, 1812, Elder Abijah WRIGHT held the revival, the
first in town. In the summer
following he baptized the wife of Pitts WALKER in a pond made in the
outlet, above the log bridge that spanned the stream at the present
highway. This was the second
baptism in town, the first having been that of Albert FINCH, by Elder
KETCHUM. The elder was from
Bristol, and preached during the summer in the log school-house on the
NUTT farm. Other early ministers were Caleb BRIGGS, of Richmond; Warren
DEY of the same town; Jehiel SPICER, Ira SPENCER, Silas REYNOLDS, Isaac
SERGEANT, Bartlett CLARK, Uriel SPENCER, Elder WALKER, Andrew INGRAHAM,
James CAHOON, Archelius MAKER, Homer BLAKE, Daniel PEABODY, William SMITH,
Sylvester EVENS, Cyrus PITTS, James STERLING, Elder HADLEY, and Benjamin
BLAKE. These were residents
for various periods, and preached more or less as occasion served, besides
those on the circuit or sent by conferences.
CHURCH of Pittstown, afterwards Richmond, was organized in 1801, and a
branch was formed in Canadice in 1828.
It was enrolled as a church, in care of the presbytery of Ontario,
August 25, 1829, and was denominated the church of South Richmond, or
“Richmond Second Church.” In
1832 it took the name of Canadice. It
was reported yearly as vacant, its organization was transient, and its
numbers were not named. No
meeting-house was ever erected. Meetings
were held in the DOOLITTLE school-house.
It gradually declined. Most
of the members moved to Ohio, some joined the Methodist Episcopal church,
until it became so reduced as to be dissolved January 15, 1839.
It was organized by Elder DAY, who preached to the society on
alternate Sundays, until Elder James CAHOON came to town.
William CHAMBERLIN was its deacon.
The only members recalled were W. CHAMBERLIN and wife, and two
sons, John BECKER and Thomas DOOLITTLE, and their wives.
A CLOSE COMMUNION
BAPTIST CHURCH was formed by Elder Caleb BRIGGS, of Richmond, at the
KIMBALL school-house, on April 12, 1834, the preliminary meeting having
been held on March 1 preceding. The
persons who composed the church when formed were James HYDE, Ezra SMITH,
Daniel PURSEL, Robert ARMSTRONG, and their wives, John and Edmund PURSEL,
Elias WELCH and Arnold GREEN. It
was called the “Regular Baptist Church of Canadice.”
Members were added from time to time, until it numbered 39.
On the last Thursday of May, 1835, it was resolved by a council
composed of Justin HUDNOT and SMITH, of Lakeville; CLARK and DONALDSON, of
Nunda; Sabin, Phillips, and Wolcott, of Bristol; ADAMS and SUTHERLAND, of
Richmond; and Elder BRIGGS, Benjamin and Josiah FULLER, of this church, to
“Fellowship this church as a Church of Christ in gospel order.”
It was taken into the Genesee River association on June 27, 1835,
and into the Livingston County association on June 24, 1848.
Its last regular meeting was in September, 1849, when it reported
19 members in good standing. Elder
BRIGGS was the pastor for a number of years.
Regular meetings were maintained during its existence, except in
the months of January and February, 1839, when the snow-drifts made roads
impassable. Its first
baptisms were Charles and Charlotte ELLIS, on June 11, 1834.
John PURSEL was the first and only deacon; he now resides in
Springwater. The only living
members are John PURSEL and Almira, his wife, John McCROSSEN and Rachel,
his wife, and Lucy KINGSLEY (INGRAHAM).
SOCIETY was formed through the activity of the Rev. Isaac SERGEANT, who
came into town as a Unionist. He
preached at the KIMBALL school-house; held a revival, at which many
“forsook their evil ways, and bowed the knee to the mild sceptre.”
The society was soon dissolved, and no records exist.
METHODIST CONNECTION OF AMERICA” organized a church at the BUSH
school-house, in March, 1845, after a protracted effort and revival
conducted by Israel D. TREMBLY. His
first sermon, and the first one by a minister of that denomination in
town, was delivered in November, 1844.
The original members were Andrew INGRAHAM, Joseph YOST, William
SMITH, Eli SHAW and wife, Jesse WESTBROOK, John WINCH, Benjamin and Jane
BLAKE. William SMITH was the first class-leader, Jesse WESTBROOK the
second, and A. W. DOOLITTLE the third and last.
The greatest number of
members at one time was 34. It
closed its labors as a church in 1864.
The different ministers who labored with them are Revs. TREMBLY,
KITCHEL, BIXBY, BOOTHE, HAVENS, DAVIS, FINNEY, YORKS, PAINE, and BROADHEAD. A class of the denomination was formed on Kimball Hill, in
1856, and has no available record.
The CHRISTIAN CHURCH
of the towns of Canadice and Springwater held meetings for year in the
WAITE school-house. The
meetings were chiefly for prayer, and occasionally Ira SPENCER or Daniel
PEABODY would speak to them, but regular organization was not effected
till 1830. It was then formed by the Rev. Amos CHAPMAN, who preached
regularly to them for many years. About
the same time, meetings were held at the WILLIAMS school-house in
Springwater. The two united,
and on April 18, 1834, the name now borne was given.
On July 19 and 20, 1834, a general meeting was held at the
horse-barn of Stephen WALBRIDGE. The
church edifice was erected during 1836-37, and dedicated in October of the
latter year. The ministers
present were Oliver BARR, Joseph BAILEY, Sylvester MORRIS, BARTLETT, and
GILMORE. It was repaired in
the fall of 1871, and rededicated in 1872.
The first ordination was of Sylvester MORRIS, Jr., on July 18,
1847, when S. MORRIS, Sr., Joseph BADGER, Asa CHAPIN, and Samuel CROSS
were present. The different
preachers have been W. MUNROE, Dr. HENDRICKS, RUTHERFORD, FANCHER, HAINES,
RICE, STEARNS, NEWEL, CHAMBERS, WELTON, MOREHOUSE, LAMONT, and HEBARD.
The church has its periods of death and prosperity.
It has no regular preaching at present.
As earlier stated,
first preaching was by the Methodists.
Elder INGRAHAM in 1809, Revs. BARTLETT and CLARK in 1811, Jehiel
SPICER in 1812, Silas REYNOLDS in 1816, and Elder WALKER in 1808 were the
first preachers in town on that denomination.
A class, composed of Jabez NORTHRUP, Robert COLLISTER, Jonathan
WATERS, Daniel KNOWLES, and their wives, was formed in 1817, on Ball Hill. NORTHRUP was their first class-leader, and COLLISTER the
second. The date of origin of
the class from which sprang the present church is not known. It is ascertained that Albert FINCH was baptized in 1812,
James ANDERSON and family, devout Methodists, came in during 1815, Silas
REYNOLDS and wife in 1816, and a class was probably formed consisting of
ANDERSON, REYNOLDS, and their wives, Aloin and Orrin ANDERSON, and their
wives, Jehiel SPICER and others; but there is no positive information on
this point. Meetings were
held in barn and school-house. The
first of many protracted meetings since held was by Elder WRIGHT, in 1812.
One was held at the J. B. HOAGLAND born in 1829, and revivals took
place in 1830-33, and since. Camp-meeting was held on Ball Hill, upon the HOPPOUGH farm,
in 1833. The church was
organized by the election of trustees in December, 1831.
The meeting-house was built in 1833, and dedicated in December of
the same year. Other early
members, besides those named, were Uriel SPENCER, one of the first
trustees, Andrew INGRAHAM and wife, Henry HOAGLAND and wife, the HUFFS,
and Elias WESTFALL. The
church is now in a prosperous state.
The cause of
temperance has found ardent supporters in Canadice, and a great change
from the tansy-bed and the whisky-bottle has been effected.
There have been but two different distilleries in the town.
The first was erected on the SLOUT farm, and the second was started
by Julius BIGELOW in 1825, on the C. F. V. BARBER farm on Ball Hill.
The petty taverns retailed whisky at three cents a glass.
The numerous asheries were a kind of grocery, also, where sugars,
teas, tobacco, and like necessaries were kept, and etiquette required that
customers be treated. The
licensed liquor-sellers of the early day are thus recalled.
The first was John PHILLIPS, in 1817, on the KIMBALL farm; then
Shadrach WARD, on the WRIGHT farm, from May 4, 1819, to 1833.
His sons, Andrew and Jerry, continued the traffic.
Peter BARNARD and John WING were on the G. W. OWEN place.
L. O. DAVIS, John PETITT, Halsey WHITAKER, Victor PUTNAM, and E.
COYKENDALL, on the Harvey BROWN farm; John WINCH, H. LEWIS, and G. O.
SPENCER, on the HOAGLAND farm; and in other places, venders were J.
COYKENDAL, L. SPENCER, W. SMITH, O. WETMORE, D. NORTON, P. WETMORE, A.
GOODRICH, T. DOOLITTLE, I. CHAMBERLAIN, J. W. SPENCER, J. FOX, J. KING, E.
HALL, Joseph KING, and Jacob SNAPP,--a list which amply demonstrates
universal custom and reputable estimation at that period.
The truthful delineation of the effect produced by so general a
traffic would show many a drunken vagrant prowling about for drink, while
his family suffered at home for food and clothing.
Not unfrequently, death closed the sad drama, and friendship drew
the veil of oblivion. The justice’s docket indicates the effect of intemperance.
Robert ARMSTRONG, in office five years, left a record of over 400
closely-written pages. Andrew
WARD was in four years, and his docket lengthened to 343 pages.
William CHAMBERLIN, three years, and his writings cover 160 pages,
and this in a town less than four by six miles in size.
Those days are past; justices have served whose records for five
years will not cover as many pages of an ordinary account-book.
L. A. DAVIS became a strenuous temperance man.
Henry HOAGLAND was one of the most conscientious advocates of
reform. He desired to raise
an addition to his log house in 1824, and no help would come without
whisky. He exchanged some
corn for the liquor, and solemnly vowed it was the last exchange,--and it
Maurice BROWN, a temperance justice, was elected in 1837. He was elected supervisor in 1848, filled a vacancy on the excise board, and for the first time licenses were refused by Thomas DOOLITTLE voting with BROWN, and so making a tie. The question of “license” or “no license” was first carried by “no license” men in 1853, when D. BYRON WAITE was elected justice by a majority of nine. The law was changed vesting the power to grant license in commissioners. Under that law Joel COYKENDALL took out a license; since then no applications have been made, and the people are known as temperate, honest, and Christian.
CANADICE CHURCHES pg 461-462
History of Ontario Co., NY Published 1893
Of the many church and religious organizations which have from time to time been formed and found an abiding place in Canadice but one is now in existence. During the early history of the locality the people found time to attend to spiritual as well as temporal matters, and although they had no regular organization their primitive gatherings were none the less sacred or worthy. Rev. Ebenezer
INGRAHAM frequently held meetings as early as 1809 in the log school-house, and three years later Elder Wright conducted a successful revival. Other early ministers held frequent services, and in 7828 the Presbyterian church of Richmond formed a branch society in the south part of the town, which, in 1832, became known as the Canadice Presbyterian Church. Its meetings were held in school-houses and other convenient places, but no church home was ever provided for it. The society was weak and gradually passed out of existence.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2006 - 2014