Ontario County Organized Churches
Return to Home Page Return to Church Index
Kindly transcribed by Dianne Thomas & Deborah Spencer
History of Ontario Co., NY
Richmond Churches pg 231 - 232
THE CHURCHES OF RICHMOND
- constitute no inconsiderable portion of its
history; they represent the permanently progressive element of the
population, and bring to prominent mention the best class of citizens.
The first sermon in the new settlement was preached in 1792, by
Rev. Samuel MILLS. In 1795,
Rev. Zadoc HUNN was engaged by Captain PITTS and his sons to preach in his
settlement 1/8 of his time, till his death.
Occasional services were held, but not regularly, until 1798, when
Deacon Nathaniel HARMON moved in from Vermont.
There was a revival in 1799, attended by several conversions.
THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
of Richmond was organized by Rev. Joseph GROVER and Rev. Jacob CRAM,
November 4, 1802, with 11 members. On
the following Sabbath three others joined them, making 14, whose names
were, Peter PITTS, Nathaniel HARMON, Oliver BUTRICK, William WARNER, Elias
GILBERT, Joseph M. GILBERT, Abiel HARMON, Lina CHIPMAN, Polly GILBERT,
Candace GILBERT, Phebe CHAMBERLAIN, Ebenezer COBURN, Abigail PITTS, and
Rebekah REED. Nathaniel
HARMON and Elias GILBERT were the first deacons.
The first regular meeting of the society was held May 24, 1803, at
the house of Elias GILBERT, and on June 14 following the church was
received in connection with the Ontario association.
It was voted at the annual meeting, in 1804, to purchase of David
CROOKS 10 acres of land, located in the centre of the town, for a
“burying-ground and meeting-house green.”
The purchase was effected, but no steps taken to erect a building.
Meanwhile, arrangements were made to build a commodious
school-house, which should be serviceable for Sabbath meetings.
On March 6, 1806, the society voted to
pay the trustees of the Centre school $200, to assist the district to
build a school-house sufficiently large to answer the society as a house
of worship. The church became
Presbyterian after the dissolution of the association, and was placed in
care of the Geneva presbytery September 20, 1810, and when the Ontario
presbytery was organized, was assigned to it.
In 1843 the church returned to the original mode of government,
and, August 27, 1844, was struck from the roll of churches belonging to
About 1828 several members were
dismissed, to form the church of South Richmond. Members of this and other churches formed an independent
church, on ultra-abolition principles, and held services at Honeoye.
For a number of years the members of the church have mainly
attended at Honeoye, and been formally connected with that church.
The church, in 1825, had 106 members, and in 1837 121.
Revivals added heavily to the strength of the society.
They increased the body in 1817 by 50,
in 1827 by 37, and in 1831 by 59. After
the organization of the church Rev. Abijah WARREN was a stated supply for
¼ of the time. During 1805,
Rev. Samuel FULLER, ministering ½ his time, was called to the pastoral
charge, and declined. In
1808, Rev. Aaron C. COLLINS was asked to become pastor, and accepting, was
installed by the Ontario association, and did not resign till August,
1816. In September following, Rev. Warren DAY, from Sharon,
Vermont, began to serve the church; ordained and installed March 3, 1819,
and resigned October 28, 1828. He
was succeeded by Rev. Orange LYMAN, 1828 to 1834.
Revs. H. B. PIERPONT and Jacob BURBANK served for brief periods.
Rev. Linus W. BILLINGTON was installed November 11, 1835, and
dismissed May 5, 1841. Revs.
BENEDICT, DARWIN, CHICHESTER, and Sydney MILLS officiated till July, 1845.
Other parties have served as follows: Rev. Warren DAY, 1845 to
1849; Rev. L. W. BILLINGTON, 1849 to 1852; Rev. Lyman MANLY, 1852 to 1858;
and Rev. Milton BUTTOLPH, 1858 to 1861.
During Rev. COLLINS’ pastorate the society erected an ample and
substantial house of worship; it was completed and dedicated at the close
of 1818; the audience-room was about 44 feet square.
A parsonage was built, in 1835, at the centre of the town.
The FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH of
Honeoye was organized in November, 1854, by Rev. Cyrus PITTS, of Honeoye,
assisted by Rev. Mr. FISHER, of West Bloomfield, and consisted of the
following members: Cyrus PITTS, George W. PITTS, D. Leonard HAMILTON,
Dennis PENNELL, Mrs. Cyrus PITTS, Mrs. George W. PITTS, and Mrs. Dennis
POWELL. George W. PITTS and
D. Leonard HAMILTON were chosen deacons.
During the fall months of 1862 measures of organization and of greater church efficiency were undertaken, and articles of faith and covenant were adopted. The first house of worship was small and limited in accommodation. In 1861 the society erected a neat, tasteful church edifice, and gave it considerable enlargement and improvement in 1869. Up to 1871, the whole number who had been members of the church was 108. Died, nine. Dismissed, 11. Present number, 91. Forty-eight joined on profession of faith, and 60 upon certificate from other churches. The succession of ministers has been as follows: Rev. Cyrus PITTS, November, 1854, to May, 1855; Rev. R. W. PAYNE, 1855 to 1858; Rev. Milton BUTTOLF (ministering also to the Centre church), 1858 to 1861; Rev. Isaac N. ELY, August, 1861, to April, 1862; and Rev. S. Mills DAY, from April, 1862, to the present (October, 1876). A Sabbath-school has been connected with the church for several years, and is in a flourishing condition. It numbers 167 in attendance, and is superintended by Rev. S. Mills DAY.
A BAPTIST CHURCH was organized about 1808, with 40 members. The first meetings were held in the school-house near Mr. WILSON’s. They built a church edifice in 1832. The members have connected themselves with a church in Livingston county, and no society now exists in the town.
The PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH
of Honeoye has an early origin and interesting history.
In 1808, Davenport PHELPS, an English clergyman of the Episcopal
faith, came through this county on a mission tour.
Preaching at various places, he labored to organize a church at
Allen’s Hill. His efforts
were seconded by Orra CLARK, of Geneva. The church was organized, and the first regular annual
meeting held, April 19, 1813. The
following officers were their elected: Samuel WHITNEY and David CRAWFORD,
wardens; David AKINS, Lemuel CHIPMAN, William SMITH, Eli HILL, Dennis
WHITNEY; James HENDERSON, Orra AKINS, and Peter ALLEN, vestrymen; and
William SMITH, clerk. The
first settled minister was Alanson W. WELTON, who began in and about 1815,
and remained several years, not only serving the church, but doing mission
work in various localities. Meetings
were held in the hotel hall of L. CHIPMAN until the church was built, in
1814-15. The architect and builder was Colonel SMITH, of Livonia.
The building was finished by L. CHIPMAN and N. ALLEN, and accounts
audited show the cost to have been $1,822.19.
A record as “St. Paul’s church,” dates April 7, 1817, when,
at the annual meeting, James SIBLEY was clerk, and William SMITH had
retired from the office. The
church was consecrated September, 1817, by Bishop HOBART, then of New York
city. Sixteen members were
confirmed, one of whom, Warren PIERPONT, of West Bloomfield, is the sole
survivor. On October 30 a
meeting was held, and November 25 appointed for the sale of the 42 pews of
the church at auction, the payment to be in quarterly installments, the
first falling due March, 1818. The
sale occurred, and each purchaser received a warranty deed of his pew.
The highest amounts paid were by Lemuel CHIPMAN and Nathaniel, $250
each. The persons buying pews
are named as follows: L. CHIPMAN, N. ALLEN, Gideon GATES, Samuel WHITNEY,
Lyman WHITNEY, Uriel AKIN, Dennis WHITNEY, James SIBLEY, Titus WELTON,
David PIERPONT, Cyrus WELLS, Orra AKIN, Daniel HOLMES, Lemuel C. CURTIS,
Samuel TAGGART, Reuben HICKOX, Alanson W. WELTON, Thomas WILSON, Benj.
BOYD, John JEROME, Daniel V. BISSELL, Daniel BISSELL, and Nathan HICKS.
ALLEN, GATES, PIERPONT, CURTIS, TAGGART, D. BISSELL, and HICKS were
not church members. Unsold
pews were disposed of February 23, 1818.
Pew No. 4 was reserved for the family of the clergyman; Nos. 9, 10,
12, and 13 were “reserved for other persons,” referring to seats for
visitors. The amount realized
by sale of pews was $3,394.50. Land
for a church and cemetery was given by Nathaniel ALLEN.
A “bee” was made to clear the grounds for the cemetery.
William SMITH and Captain STEWART remained to finish after the rest
had departed. It was near
night of a day in May. One
said, “Who do you think will be the first to be buried here?
Perhaps it may be you.” The
other said, “It is just as likely to be you.”
It proved to be not one, but both, for Captain STEWART was laid to
rest within a month, and William SMITH in August following.
At an adjourned meeting, held January 8, 1823, wardens and
vestrymen were voted to obligate themselves to pay the pastor, Rev. George
H. NORTON, $300 salary, the same to be raised by subscription.
Rev. Mr. NORTON, here mentioned as commencing his pastorate,
continued for about 20 years. Originally
strong, the church has now become weak my removals and deaths.
Judge Harry SMITH is one of the oldest members.
The old church edifice, repaired and repainted several times, yet
stands. The officiating
clergyman is Rev. Henry H. BROWN, of East Bloomfield, who preaches in both
The METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH in
Richmond was organized at the house of William BAKER, who, with Tilness
BENTLEY, were prominent members. The
house of worship was erected on land now owned by D. A. PIERPONT, and
deeded by Joshua PHILLIPS. It
was quite a large structure, and, in accordance with the times, was
constructed with galleries, sloping, and built along the sides. A reorganization took place January 24, 1859, at the old
edifice. J. D. BENTLEY,
Nelson OGDEN, and Jesse Lee STOUT were elected trustees, and the house
continued to be used till near the completion of the church at Allen’s
Hill. The society moved to
the new building with unchanged organization.
The construction of the new church was begun in 1860, by George I.
BROWN and John OGDEN, the contractors.
It was completed and dedicated July 6, 1861, by Rev. William H.
GOODWIN. The building is a frame, 35 by 50 feet in dimensions, and is
supplied with a belfry and bell. Among
pastors may be named Robert HANCOCK, Jonathan BENSON, George W. CHANDLER,
J. T. ARNOLD, Alonzo SHURTLIFF, John J. WILSON, H. O. WOODS, J. S. LEMON,
G. H. DRYER, and S. D. PICKETT. These
have mostly remained but short periods.
A. T. WEST is the present pastor.
Membership of the church, 71.
A Sabbath-school has for years been connected with the church.
THE FIRST METHODIST PROTESTANT
CHURCH has a more recent history.
About 1830, Dr. COVILL came out from the city of New York, and
began to hold meetings in the old tavern ball-room at Honeoye. Later, meetings were held at the school-house.
A revival resulted, and, numbers authorizing, a church was
organized in 1832, with quite a large enrollment, among whose names are
found those of John PENNELL, Abram PENNELL, Caleb ARNOLD, Isaac DE MILL,
Asa BISHOP, John G. BRIGGS, Thomas BARKLEY, Job COBB, Cheney ABBEY, Ira
ALLEN, Artemus BIGGS, John PENNELL, Sr., Peter PITTS, Jr., Joshua COLBURN,
their wives, and Oliver ADAMS. Dr.
COVILL was the first pastor. He
was succeeded by Isaac FISHER; then came Rev. ANDREWS and James GAY.
A church edifice was erected in 1832,
at a cost of $3,000. It was
36 by 40 feet, and seated comfortably 300 persons. A bell weighing 900 pounds was purchased, at a cost of $250.
In February, 1869, the church was
burned, and this was a crippling blow.
The society gradually became reduced in numbers; those remaining
sold the site, upon which a dwelling now stands; and the organization has
completed its existence.
RICHMOND CHURCHES pg 455 - 457
History of Ontario Co., NY Pub. 1893
The public properties at Honeoye are the school house and the Congregational and St. Mary's Roman Catholic churches. The First Congregational Church at Honeoye was organized in November, 1854, by Rev. Cyrus
PITTS, assisted by Rev. FISHER, with less than ten original members, most of whom were formerly connected with the mother Congregational Society of the town. The church was built in 1861, and stands at the corner of Main and North streets. The succession of pastors is as follows: Revs. Cyrus
PITTS, R. W. PAYNE, Milton BUTTOFF, Isaac N. ELY and S. Mills DAY, the latter being the present pastor.
Richmond Center is a small hamlet situated near the center of the town, the early occupants of which have been mentioned in this chapter, but the place at this time has no business interests worthy of mention. It is the location, however, of the original Congregational Church of the town, organized November 4. 1802, and including in its membership a number of the prominent pioneer families of the vicinity. In 1804 the society purchased land of David CROOKS to be used as a burying ground and also a site for a meeting house. About 1810 the Presbyterian form of government was adopted, but in 1843 the society returned to Congregationalism. The large edifice was built in 1817-18, and the parsonage in 1835. Among the early supplies and pastors of this church were Revs. Joseph GROVER, Jacob CRAM, Abijah WARREN, Samuel FULLER, Aaron C. COLLINS, Warren DAY, Orange LYMAN, H. B. PIERPONT, Jacob BURBANK, L. W. BILLINGTON, Lyman MANLY, Milton BUTTOFF. This society is not now in active existence.
Allen's Hill is located in the northeast part of the town ..... are located the Protestant Episcopal and Methodist Episcopal churches.
The Protestant Episcopal Church (St. Paul's) was organized in the town in April, 1813; and during the next two years an edifice was built. The parish organization has always been maintained though the church has experienced many vicissitudes. Its membership is small and there is no resident or regular rector in the parish.
Html by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2002 - 2014