Phelps Village History
History of Ontario Co, NY
Pgs. 165 - 168
Kindly transcribed by Donna Walker Judge
Return to Home Page Return to Town Histories
VILLAGE OF PHELPS
This village was originally called “Woodpecker City,” subsequently “Vienna,” and finally received the name of Phelps. The early settlement of the village has been mainly related in the town history. The first settlement in the town was made here, and this soon became the nucleus of a busy colony of pioneers.
Orrin REDFIELD was the first merchant in Phelps, having an assortment of dry goods and groceries in a log building on the site now occupied by the Phelps Hotel. HOTCHKISS (father of L. B. HOTCHKISS, Esq.) and McNEIL commenced the mercantile business in 1810 in Luther ROOT’s bar-room, but soon after erected a building which they occupied as a store, standing on the site of the present block owned by B. F. ODELL. WING & NELSON opened a store in 1813. Dwight and Theodore PARTRIDGE commenced business in 1816, in the building now occupied by Mr. SNOW as a dwelling. The PARTRIDGES were succeeded by David D. AUKEN. Joel and Levi THAYER bought, for a hogshead of rum, the site for a store, now occupied by the establishment of S. C. HAWKS.
The first brick store in Phelps was erected in 1816, by HOTCHKISS and McNEIL.
The first grist-mill in the town was erected by Seth DEAN. This was a primitive establishment, but a great convenience to the settlers. In 1779, Cephas HAWKS, Augustus DICKINSON, and Theodore BANNISTER erected a grist-mill on the outlet, for which they were severely censured by Mr. DEAN, as encroaching upon his just rights. “For,” said he, “I am the pioneer of the town in the business; I have, at great sacrifice, privation, and labor, erected a mill for the accommodation of the inhabitants; it just supplies me with bread for my family, and it meets all the wants of the community, and no doubt always will, and they will take the bread from my mouth.” If Mr. DEAN could glance about the town today, he might be somewhat surprised in seeing nine grist-and flouring-mills in successful operation.
In about the year 1812, under the stimulus of high prices, many woolen-factories were built in various parts of the country, and among the number was that established by Erastus BUTLER, Luther ROOT, and Francis ROOT, in this village. It was a large establishment, employing about twenty-five persons, and the business was successfully prosecuted until 1815, when the country became flooded with foreign fabrics at low prices, and this, with other establishments, was abandoned. Luther ROOT leaned the clothier’s trade of Aaron HAYDEN, and came to Phelps in 1798, where he actively engaged in business, and was one of the prominent pioneers of the town. A son, Mr. Francis ROOT, now resides near the village, at the advanced age of seventy years, who is familiar with the men and customs of “ye olden time.” and has rendered much valuable assistance in the compilation of the history of this town.
The year 1812 draws upon “Vienna.” and finds it assuming the importance of a village. In this year a post-office was established, and David MCNEIL appointed postmaster, a position which he held until his death. The contract for carrying the mail was given to Luther and Francis ROOT and Samuel and William HILDRETH, and the routes were from Phelps to Geneva and from Geneva via Phelps to Palmyra and to Pittsford once a week. Francis ROOT and Lyman WILLIAMS were the mail carriers.
Phelps located as it was in the center of a wealthy agricultural region, rapidly rose in importance until, to-day, it is one of the most thriving and pleasant towns in western New York.
Below are given the present business interests of the village:
The Red Mill, in the west end of the village, erected many years since by William HILDRETH, father of the historian, now owned by J. P. CHAMPION.
The Stone Mill, built by Frederick VAN DE MARK in 1835, now owned by Dr. J. Q. HOWE.
The Edmonston Mill, erected in 1819, by J. EDMONSTON, Esq., now owned by FOSGATE brothers.
The Coon Mill, built many years ago by John COON, now owned by Robert ROBINSON.
The Snyder Mill, erected by the SNYDER brothers about three years ago, and owned by them.
The New Mill, built the present year on the site of the old paper-mill, by WILLING and KINKAID, and owned by them.
Unionville Mill, erected in 1839 by Moses SWIFT, now owned by James McLEAN.
The Swift Mill, built nearly sixty years ago; present proprietor, Mr. J. BARLOW. There are three plaster-mills, one owned by R. B. GUIFFORD, one by Dr. J. Q. HOWE, and the other by Mr. SHORT. Four saw-mills, one in Orleans, one connected with SNYDER’s Mill, one with BARLOW’s, and one with BIGELOW’s rake factory.
Foundry and Machine Shop, L. P. Thompson & Co., proprietors.
Steam-Engine Manufactory, owned by MILLER and HOFF.
Carriage-Manufactory, S. BOWKER, proprietor. A glove-and mitten-factory, conducted by Harvey CAREY, and a barrel-factory, owned by Fred BAKER.
“European and American” Oil Depot - Leman B. HOTCHKISS commenced the mercantile business in this village in 1832, which he continued a number of years, and then engaged in the manufacture and distillation of oil of peppermint and other essential oils, which he has since carried on with great success. The business is conducted on a large scale, and shipments are made to all parts of Europe.
The Banking Office of Phelps was established by L. B. HOTCHKISS in 1857, and continued by him until 1869, when he was succeeded by his son, Thaddeus O. HOTCHKISS, the present proprietor.
Malt-Houses - There are six stone malting establishments, owned by the following parties, viz: J. Q. HOWE, M.D., John MCGOVERN, Barnard MCKENNA, John WHITE, BETZ and NESTOR, and occupied by KELLY and BRADLEY.
The Phelps Hotel is a large and commodious building, finely located, and is mainly owned by L. B. HOTCHKISS; H. TICKNER, proprietor. The Globe Hotel is owned by Mr. CLARK. There are seven brick blocks, as follows:
The Carpenter Block, erected a few years since, and occupied by W. LAUGHLIN as a dry-goods store.
Boyden’s Block is occupied by A. L. BOYDEN, hardware dealer, and Mr. KELLY’s grocery.
The Gibson Block, erected by WHITE about six years ago, and occupied by A. L. BOYDEN, agricultural implements; A. B. & M. PRUYN, groceries; D. White & Co., clothing, and S. C. HAWKS, dry goods.
Odell’s Block, erected in 1875, B. F. ODELL, and occupied by himself and son as a wholesale and retail grocery store.
Ross and Cooley Block was built about ten years ago by ROSS, VANDEMARK, and COOLEY, and is occupied by Mr. SPEER, groceries; Mr. COOLEY, boots and shoes; J. COLE, saloon; FRESBEE, White & Co., hardware; F. D. S. HELMER, millinery, and John FRASIER, furniture.
The MCNEIL Block, erected about three years ago by McLOUD, SMITH, SNOW & HOTCHKISS, all occupied by A. McLOUD, jeweler; T. J. LYMAN, dry goods; Mr. W. H. FINCH, dry goods; J. R. GREEN, groceries; T. O. HOTCHKISS, bank; Wm. WHITING and daughter, clothing and telegraph office; C. MUDGE, groceries and drugs; R. B. MARLEY, saloon; F. BOSWELL, market.
Among other business interests there are four coal-yards, owned by DILLINGHAM & STOTENBERG, A. D. & H. CROSBY, A. S. SMITH, and A. ALDRICH, and a blacksmith and carriage shop owned by H. C. & C. T. SEVERANCE.
A town hall was erected in 1849. There is one dentist in the village, Dr. J. R. SNOW, and six physicians. Viz. J. BURT, E. G. CARPENTER, J. Q. HOWE, Charles MUDGE, G. C. PRITCHARD, and F. VANDERHOOF. There are five shoe-stores, George POND, A. D. COOLEY, H. GREY, and G. H. PRESCOTT [only 4 listed]; three lumber-yards, owned by J. W. POST, George LOVELL, and L. D. WILBER; two harness-making establishments, CARPENTER & RICE, town hall block, and W. C. TOUT, Church street; and three millineries, viz., Mrs. CAREY, Mrs. WHITBECK, F. D. S. HELMER.
Phelps has many fine residences, the principal ones, however, being those of Dr. PRITCHARD, S. S. PARTRIDGE, Esq., S. BOWKER, T. O. HOTCHKISS, Mr. HARGEN, J. Q. HOWE, M.D., T. J. LYMAN, and Mrs. ROSS, on Main street; widow KING, on Ontario street; Mr. DILLINGHAM, on William street, and Mr. CRANE, on Church street.
The village was incorporated January 2, 1855. The following comprised the first board of trustees: Zenas WHEELER, Dolphin STEPHENSON, Harvey CAREY, Anson TITUS, and John TRISLER.
The Ontario Citizen and News - The Phelps Citizen and Clifton Springs News was founded about 1832. The office has preserved a continuous existence, but the paper has changed its name and its proprietors a number of times. It has been known as the Vienna Advertiser, The Phelps Democrat, The Western Atlas, The Phelps Union Star, The Phelps Citizen, and The Ontario Citizen and News. Its proprietors have been Messrs. PHELPS, JONES, DILLON, SHAW, PRESTER, LOWN, KILMER, PLEASANTS, WILLIAMS, RAY, CRANE, J. W. NEIGHBOR, and W. S. DRYSDALE.
While issued by J. W. NEIGHBOR as the Phelps Citizen, the Clifton Springs News was added, at first being published as a separate sheet. In anticipation of the hard times, the News was temporarily consolidated with the Citizen under its present proprietor, Mr. W. S. DRYSDALE. The Ontario Citizen and News of 1876 is an eight-column paper, neatly printed, and comparing well in every respect with the papers of Ontario County. It is an ably edited and influential journal, and has a circulation of about one thousand. Independent in politics. Its office is in a new building, expressly erected by its present proprietor, Mr. W. S. DRYSDALE, on Church street.
Neighbor’s Home Mail was established in 1874, by John W. NEIGHBOR. It is a “patriotic magazine, devoted to the interests of American homes and their defenders.” It is a three-column, twenty-four page monthly magazine, and has a wide circulation. Mr. NEIGHBOR is a veteran of the gallant One Hundred and Forty-eighth Regiment, New York Volunteers, and has every qualification for editing a soldiers’ journal. He also issues a semi-weekly advertising sheet called the Phelps Advertiser.
Phelps Lodge, No. 286, I.O.O.F., was instituted August 14, 1871. The charter members were A. L. WILSON, John SHAW, Thomas SHAW, George SHAW, Edward SHAW, H. K. WYMAN. John SHAW was its first Noble Grand, who is supposed to be the oldest Odd fellow in the State, if not in the United States. The lodge was moved from Clifton Springs in May, 1875, and is now located at Odd fellows’ Hall, in the upper story of the Cooley block. Its name was changed to Vienna Lodge, in August, 1876.
The elected and appointed officers for the term commencing July 3, 1876, are as follows: elective officers, N. G., R. C. CARPENTER, P. G.; C. T. SEVERANCE, V. G.,; James T. GEORGE, R. S.; W. C. TOUT, Sec.; John J. SALISBURY, Treas. Appointed officers, John TOUT, Warden; I. G., William ABBOTT; R.S.S., C.E. HARMON; Con., J.V.D. WYCKOFF; O. G., Frank C. SWEET; L.S.S., Ed. P. HICKS; Chaplain, Rev. Wm. D. WOODRUFF; R.S.N.G., P.B.SABIN; L.S.N.G., E. O. MARSH; R.S.V.G., Calvin HULL; L.S.V.G., Geo. MACK; S.P.G. and Representative to Grand Lodge, John T. WATKINS; proxy Representative to Grand Lodge, Past Grand John SHAW. The lodge is in a flourishing condition, and has a membership of fifty-four persons.
Phelps Grange, No. 150, was organized in March, 1874, and now numbers about sixty members. Its officers for the present year are as follows: H. H. HOPKINS, M.; C. C. COOLIDGE, S.; W. W. GATES, T.; J. W. GRIFFITH, O.; C. VANDERVORT, L; Mr. STYKER, Steward; Prescott CROSBY, Asst.-Steward; Thad. MUSSELMAN, G.K.; Mrs. W. W. GATES, Chaplain; Mrs. H. H. HOPKINS, Lady Asst.-Steward; Miss STYKER, Ceres; Miss Emma COOLIDGE, Pomona; Miss Jennie HOPKINS, Flora.
Sincerity Lodge, No. 200, F. and A.M., was organized May 7, 1811, with the following officers: Wells WHITMORE, W. M.; Wm. BURNETT, S.W.; Alfred WITTER, J. W.; Luther ROOT, Treas.; Nathaniel WILSON, Sec.; Michael MUSSELMAN, S.D.; David SAUNDERSON, J.D.; Rossel FLINT, Joseph DANOLDS, Stewards; B. CRARY, TYLER. During the anti-masonic excitement the lodge surrendered its charter, and was reorganized June 19, 1858, as Sincerity Lodge, No. 443, and subsequently recovered its original number, 200. At its reorganization the following were the first three officers: William M. CROSBY, W. M.; C. H. CARPENTER, S.W.; and T. A. LAWRENCE, J. W. The lodge now numbers one hundred and thirty-two master masons.
Union and Classical School - To be entirely
in keeping with this Centennial period, we ought, doubtless, in presenting a
history of the Phelps Union and Classical School, to go back at least a hundred
years ago and chronicle the progress of educational matters to the present time.
Aside from the very probable conjecture that the education of that day was
limited to teaching the “young idea how to shoot” the arrow and to kindred
employments we can offer nothing concerning the school of 1776 in the town of
Phelps. There is a rumor that a log school-house existed somewhere on the
present site of the village of Phelps prior to the year 1800. Of this we have
been able to get no authentic account.
In the year 1805 there stood on the ground now occupied by the bank of T. O. HOTCHKISS a low one-store frame building, nearly new, being about twenty by forty feet square. There were two apartments, of which one was occupied by Mr. Joseph WOODHULL, son-in-law of the old hero and veteran, John Decker ROBISON. The other apartment was occupied as a school-room, and Aunt Chloe WARNER, as she was familiarly called, was the teacher. How long she taught, or how successfully, we are not informed. At this time the old log school-house of the early pioneers, with its wide jambs, stick chimney plastered over with mud, and its greased-paper windows, together with the mane and fame of its teachers, had passed away. Seventeen years had elapsed since Mr. ROBINSON had landed from his boat on the farm now owned by Hugh HAMMOND, where the brook, east of the village, winds around from its northern to an eastern course, about eighty or a hundred rods north from Mr. Hiram PECK’s residence.
Aunt Chloe was succeeded by Rowland DEWEY, Ann BIGELOW, Abigail BIGELOW, sister of Ann, who married Mr. Thomas HOWE; then Betsey NEWELL, who married David McNEIL; then Caleb BANNISTER, afterward known and highly respected as Dr. Caleb BANNISTER, who taught in 1810 or 1811. Jared WILSON also taught soon after Dr. B.; he afterwards was one of the leading lawyers of the county. Dr. Harvey E. PHINNEY; then Miss KNAPP. Oliver MOORE was teaching in 1816; Erastus KELLOGG, about 1818. John CHAPMAN, distinguished as a mathematician, taught about 1820; with him passed away the fashion of locking out the teacher on Christmas morning so as not to have school that day. In order to have the work securely done, some of the older boys would stay in the school-house all night. It was not only expected by the scholars that there would be no school, but that the teacher would stand treat all around, which Mr. CHAPMAN was but too willing to do.
About this time the district was divided and two districts formed, the east and west; each built a new house. The east district built one of cut stone, which is the building next south of the Catholic church, and now occupied by Abram S. SMITH as a dwelling. The second story was owned and occupied by the Masons as a lodge-room. The west district built of brick, and the building is now occupied as a dwelling, and is situated a few rods west of Mr. COOPER’s blacksmith-shop.
Among the teachers of the east district were Wm. KING, Mr. NOBLE, Jacob MOORE, 1821. Erastus MARVIN taught 1822 to 1825, and was a very efficient and successful teacher. Ziba CRAWFORD about 1827. Chas. E. PINKNEY, Sibyl MARVIN, T.A. PINKNEY, Horace FRAZER, 1832. John S. MOORE, 1833. Cornelius HORTON, Philander DAWBY, J.C. ANDERSON, Fanny HENRY, Mr. CONN, 1845. About this time the districts were reunited, and the present large and commodious building was erected and opened in 1846.
Among the teachers in the west district were Cornelius E. CROSBY, father of Prof. CROSBY, who was afterwards principal in the Union School; Richard MARVIN, afterward judge in the eighth judicial district of this State; F. ROOT, 1829 and 1830; Ann S. FRAZER, 1832.
The records of the eastern district still exist, and among the interesting resolutions passed at the school-meetings and contained therein, are the following:
“Resolved, That each scholar’s parents shall furnish one half-cord good hard wood, or pay the sum of fifty cents for each scholar.” (1820)
“Voted, To dismiss the present teacher unless he shall consent to teach for twelve dollars per month.”
The first teachers employed after the
present building was erected were Prof. Lewis PECK, principal;
Mr. T. H. FRENCH,
assistant principal; Miss GARDNER, preceptress;
Miss ALLEN, primary department;
and a Miss STONE, teacher of penmanship. The first trustees were
WATERMAN, Wm. HILDRETH, and Moses B. WHITMORE.
Prof. Lewis PECK, the first principal of the school, was born in the town of Phelps, and was a graduate of Hamilton College. He remained as principal until October 15, 1853, at which time, on account of ill health, he sent in his resignation, having had charge of the school seven years. During his administration several different ladies occupied the position of preceptress. After Miss GARDNER a Miss NEWCOMB taught for one or two years. Miss BELDNEY succeeded her; after whom the position was filled by Miss Caroline ADGATE, and she in turn was succeeded by Miss Sarah LONG, now Mrs. Lewis PECK.
After Mr. PECK’s resignation the trustees procured the services of Professor Thos. PRURINTON, who, though very popular at first, according to report did not prove to be successful. He was accidentally killed on the railroad some years since. He left the school in the spring of 1855. It was during his time that the bell now in the building was procured. Professor PECK’s health had so far recovered that he was again persuaded to take charge of the school, and he retained the position until 1857. Professor W. F. CROSBY, a graduate of Hobart College, was the next principal. He was a man of taste and culture, and did much toward improving and decorating the grounds and buildings.
Mr. CROSBY had his defects as well as good qualities, and it is intimated that in consequence of the latter he was finally induced to resign his position. He instituted chapel exercises, and introduced music in the morning and Friday afternoon exercises. He left the school at the close of the term of 1856. Miss E. A. CLARK was preceptress during nine months of the time Mr. CROSBY was principal, and Miss Amelia SPOONER occupied the position during the remainder of the term.
The next principal was Mr. Ziba H. POTTER, now assistant professor of mathematics in Cornell University. He had charge of the school during 1860. We are informed by a lady, who was a pupil in the school for a number of years, that she learned more under his instruction than under the instruction of any other having charge of the school while she attended; and this she attributed to his superior qualities as a teacher. Miss Margaret REES was preceptress during the year.
Ezra J. PECK, A.M., took charge of the school in 1861, with Miss O’KEEFE as preceptress, and remained one year, and then left the school to take a position in the army. His regiment was the Eighth New York Cavalry. Rev. Ferris SCOTT succeeded Mr. PECK. He had previously been employed in the south as a teacher.
After this gentleman had been in the school some weeks, through a feeling which appears to have sprung up suddenly among the trustees, much to his surprise he was coolly informed, one Friday night, that his services as principal would be no longer required. The conditions under which he had engaged to teach were such that he could do no better than submit. He visited the school, however, on the following Monday. A Mr. CURTIS had been engaged to teach at a lower rate of wages. The pupils seemed to favor Mr. SCOTT; and either from the fact of his visit, the unprofessional way in which Mr. CURTIS conducted affairs, or other reasons, it is at least true that Mr. CURTIS was discharged, and Mr. SCOTT reinstated the week following. He subsequently became chaplain of the gallant One Hundred and Forty-eighth Regiment, and is now a teacher in Jersey City.
The trustees employed as principal for the school year ending July 3, 1863, Mr. Lockwood HOYT, A.M., a veteran teacher of some thirty years’ experience. Miss Sarah M. CLOY was preceptress during the fall and winter terms of this year, and Miss E. D. EVERETT filled the position during the spring term. Both of these ladies were graduates of the Ontario Female Seminary. Of Professor HOYT it is said that he was an excellent instructor, but deficient in government. Mr. Milton HOWE, A.B., was employed as assistant principal a portion of the year. The same position was filled the remainder of the year by John W. KENNARD.
For the school year ending July 15, 1864, John S. COE, A.M., a graduate of Union College, was employed. Of the ability of this gentleman to control the school, the reader is requested to inquire of some of his old pupils, especially of those who came under his displeasure through disobedience. Miss Eliza D. EVERETT, who, it appears from the records, was a graduate of Ingham University, as well as the Ontario Female Seminary, was preceptress this year. Professor Lockwood HOYT was assistant principal during the winter term. Mr. COE is a successful lawyer and claim-agent at Canandaigua, and Miss EVERETT is a teacher in the Beirut Mission School, Syria.
It was during the administration of Professor Lewis PECK that, on petition of the trustees, the law was enacted incorporating the school under its present title.
In the fall of 1866, Professor E. J. PECK again took charge of the school. Miss Mary BUTLER, who was to have been preceptress, was taken ill at the beginning of the term and subsequently died, and the trustees secured the services of Miss Helen WIRTS, who had recently graduated at Houghten Seminary, Clinton, to fill the position. Thereon Van AUKEN was assistant during the winter term, and seven lady teachers were employed, besides Miss WIRTS, during the year. Miss Ruth H. NELSON, who had taught very successfully in the primary department of the school for some ten years previously, closed her connection with the school this year.
Mr. PECK remained as principal of the school till the end of the fall term, 1869, when he was elected school commissioner for the first district, Ontario County. He was succeeded for the winter term by James S. ROOT, then a student at Hamilton College, subsequently a graduate, and now pastor of the Presbyterian church, Camillus. He was assisted a few weeks by a Mr. DODD, who was superceded for the remainder of the term by Thereon Van AUKEN.
In the spring of 1870, H. C. KIRK became principal of the school, and remained as such till the end of the fall term of 1872, when he vacated the position to take the office of school commissioner for the first district. During most of this period Charles D. WADER was assistant in the school, and teacher of drawing, book-keeping, and penmanship. He left in the fall of 1872 to take a position in the First National Bank of Geneva, where he still remains.
George W. RAFTER, a student in engineering at Cornell University, was principal for the ensuing winter term, with C.R. DRYER as assistant. Mr. RAFTER also had charge of drawing. In the spring, Mr. RAFTER left to pursue his profession, and Mr. DRYER took charge of the school. Mr. RAFTER is the present assistant city surveyor, in Rochester.
During a portion of Mr. DRYER’s term of service, Rev. J.A. WADER was assistant teacher of German, book-keeping, penmanship, etc. During the last portion of Mr. DRYER’s term, however, this office was filled by Mrs. Frank HAMMOND. At the close of the school year 1875, Mr. DRYER closed his connection therewith to complete his studies, and to engage permanently in the practice of medicine. He is now a successful practitioner in the village of Victor.
H. C. KIRK’s term of office as school commissioner expiring at the close of the year 1875, he took charge of the school for the full term of that year, and still retains the position of principal. Miss Helen WIRTS, the present preceptress, has held that position for the past ten years, a fact in itself proving the efficiency and success of her teaching. Mrs. HOSFORD, now in the senior intermediate department, has been connected with the school for quite as long a period, and has had the largest experience as a teacher of any connected with the school. The remaining teachers are Misses GERVIS, WHEELER, and ROOT, who have proved uniformly successful in their various departments, and Mrs. HAMMOND, who teaches writing, drawing, and German. She is a graduate of the Packer Institute, Brooklyn, and a very capable teacher.* (*The above excellent history was compiled by H. C. KIRK and Francis and Augustus F. ROOT.)
As early as 1822 classical teachers were employed in the village, and many students here prepared for college. Among the teachers are mentioned the names of KNIFFEN, HOUGH, BRADLEY, and William W. CAMPBELL. The Misses SPOONER also early conducted a female seminary, which was extensively patronized.
The first town meeting in the district of Sullivan (now Phelps) was held April 1, 1796, when the following officers were chosen: Jonathan OAKS, superintendent; Solomon GOODALE, clerk; Joel PRESCOTT, Philetus SWIFT, Pierce GRANGER, assessors; Augustus DICKINSON, collector; Oliver HUMPHREY, Patrick BURNETT, overseers of the poor; Jesse WARNER, Oliver HUMPHREY, Philetus SWIFT, commissioners of highways; Cornelius WESTFALL, Abram D. SPURN, Charles HUMPHREY, Elijah GATES, Augustus DICKINSON, John PATTEN, Cornelius WESTFALL, Charles HUMPHREY, David WOODARD, overseers of highways; Jonathan OAKS, pound master.
The present officers are T. O. HOTCHKISS, superintendent; R. C. CARPENTER, clerk; Cooper SAYRE, Lysander REDFIELD, John H. ROY, John P. SPEAR, justices of the peace; Lincoln BROWN, Charles B. BURTIS, Warren W. CRITTENDEN, assessors; Norman ROCKFELLOW, H. McBURNEY, Peter RAYNER; commissioners of highways, Hiram PECK, Philo B. SABIN, Myron H. FULLER, Charles H. CRANDALL, Zorah DENSMORE, constables: George HUBBELL, H. B. PRUYN, Wm. JONES, James W. MOORE, C. H. HOLBROOK, C. B. BURTIS, Richard M. GREEN, C. J. PITKIN, Ichabod BOYD, S.S. PARTRIDGE, C. W. MITCHELL, J. A. BLYTHE, excise commissioners.
HTML by Dianne Thomas
Copyright 2005 - 2016
[NY History and Genealogy]