Town of Seneca History
History of Ontario Co, NY
Pub 1878 pg 145 - 148
Transcribed by Dianne Thomas
Return to Home Page Return to Town Histories
TOWN OF SENECA
"It was a gloomy, wild, where Indian warriors trod;
Where savage minds, in solitude, looked up to Nature's God."
No territory in western New York is more closely allied with the history of the farm famed tribe of the Seneca, than the town bearing the name of these illustrious warriors.
This town comprised a portion of their celebrated "hunting grounds," sloping down to the waters of the silvery lake they so much loved, and from which they were driven by the relentless soldiery of SULLIVAN. The smoke has scarcely lifted from the Indian village of Kanadesaga, burned by SULLIVAN in his desolating march, ere the tide of immigration set in; the pioneer van of the white settler followed hard upon the retreating form of the red brother. The wigwam was replaced by the rude log cabin; clearings were made, fields of wheat were sown; and the ringing axe of the pioneer announced the ushering in of a new era. Gladly would we follow the Indian lore of this vicinity, but that remains for the history of the village and town of Geneva.
Seneca was formed in the year 1793, under the act of the Legislature for the organization of towns, passed, January 27, 1789. It was a large and important town, and was described by "Spafford's Gazetteer," in 1812, as follows:
"Seneca, a township in the east part of Ontario County, in which in the village of Geneva, with a post office of the same name, 192 miles west of Albany; bounded north by Phelps, east by Seneca lake and county, south by Benton (Yates Co.), west by Gorham and a part of Middlesex (Yates Co.) It is 12 miles long, north and south, and about 7 1/2 miles wide, exclusive of the waters of Seneca lake, and is 12 miles easterly of Canandaigua, having the great road from Albany to Niagara across the north end. IT is an excellent township of land; the southern part moderately uneven or hilly, but arable throughout, with fine grazing lands. Its waters are small and inconsiderable , except that it embraces a part of Seneca lake. But the farm lands are rich and productive, and have given to their occupants a high degree of wealth. The whole population in 1810 amounted to 3,431 persons, when there were 588 families 317 electors, and about 1,100 taxable inhabitants. There were also, 108 looms in families which produced 37,949 yards of cloth."
Seneca retained its original dimensions until October 11, 1872, when the town of Geneva was set off, embracing all that part of the old town lying east of the west line of the first tier of township lots next west of the old pre-emption line.
The name of
family is closely identified with the pioneer history of this town
and of Geneva. Jonathan WHITNEY came into the new country as an
explorer in the year 1789. He
remained four months in the forest, and returned to Massachusetts,
and in the following year, again turned his steps westward,
arriving here in March 1790, and located at the old castle, where
he died in 1792.
WHITNEY and family were seventeen days en route from Conway,
Massachusetts and endured many hardships and privations during the
perilous trip. The
little band of pioneers arrived at Geneva in the morning, when
their stock of provisions were exhausted, and but one loaf of
bread remained in the village.
Colonel REED, however, supplied them with a scanty
breakfast, though the best possible.
Captain WHITNEY was one of twenty persons who
purchased township No. 10, first range, his share being six lots,
or one thousand one hundred and fifty-two acres and he
subsequently became the proprietor of six additional lots.
He served in the
French and Indian War and was at the siege of Ticonderoga, where
he fought with almost unprecedented bravery.
The French had felled the timber about the fort, that their
guns might be used more effectively upon the besiegers; but it
happened that one large tree still remained, against which another
had fallen, and lodged in the branches; and, by means of the
latter, he succeeded in climbing into the stately old forester,
where he fired into the fort until his gun became foul, when his
companions handed other fire-arms to him, which he used with
effective service, the old flint-locks dealing death to those
within the entrenchments until he was discovered by the garrison
and forced to leave his position.
He was ever ready to lay aside the implements of peace in
times of danger, and when his country called to head off British
oppression he was found at the front, a commissioned officer, his
commission dating May 3, 1776.
Three grandsons, Luther, Cheeney, and
reside in the town, and one Nathan, near Franklin Grove,
Lee county, Illinois.
The longevity of
the WHITNEY family is remarkable.
The following is a register of the five sons of Nathan and Olive WHITNEY,
and grandsons of
Captain Jonathan WHITNEY.
The three eldest were born in Conway, Mass.: Luther,
August 21, 1782; Otis, October 19, 1795;
Nathan, July 22,
1791. Jonathan and
Cheeney were born in Seneca: Jonathan,
1793, and Cheeney, April 21, 1795.
These brothers are now living (1878), except
and their united ages are four hundred and twenty-three years.
and Abraham BARKHOLDER, from Pennsylvania, were early settlers
on lot No. 10. The former is now living in the town, at the advanced age of
over eighty years. Two
sons of the latter, John and Leonard I., are also
residents of Seneca. Peter
VAN GELDER came from Catskill in an early day, and located on
lot 30; two children reside in the town.
One CLEMENS located on lot 31, and
on lot 51. Lot 52,
was settled by Mr. COLWELL, from New England, who has a
son, William, residing on Flint creek.
The father of Charles HUGHES came from New England,
and early settled on lot 49, and the old homestead is now occupied
by the latter. John
BERRY, and a son of the same name, were pioneers on lot 32,
and lot 29 was settled by Messrs. PARKER,
FIERO. George ECKLEY was an early settler on lot 12,
though the larger portion of the lot was owned by Ami WHITNEY.
Again we come to
the WHITNEY family, and find that Ami WHITNEY, son
of Captain Jonathan, and himself a soldier in the war of the
Revolution, was an early settler on lot 9, on premises now owned
by a son, Ami WHITNEY.
Ami WHITNEY, Sr., was born January 18, 1781, and he
died December 14, 1867, at the advanced age of eighty-six years.
The present occupant of the premises, Ami WHITNEY,
was born June 22, 1814.
Robert CARSON emigrated from Pennsylvania in an early day, and located on lot 91, on premises now occupied by a son, James M. CARSON; on this lot also located Mr. CHARLTON, father of William CHARLTON. Where Leonard I. RILANDS now resides, his father was a pioneer. Leonard ISENHOUR was a prominent pioneer on lot 92, and was also the owner of lot 90. A daughter, Mrs. CRUTHERS, resides on lot 94. Mr. I. was an enterprising citizen, and erected a grist and saw mill on lot 90, some time prior to 1812, on the site now occupied by the flouring mills of Chester A. COLLAR.
Many of the sturdy
pioneers of this town came from the eastern part of the State, and
prominent among those were Peter WYNCOOP, who settled on
lot 8, and has numerous descendants residing in the county.
William ESTY was the pioneer on lot 13, on lands now
owned by a son, A. B. ESTY. Lot 28 was
originally owned by Thomas TALLMAN, a pioneer from New
England; his grandson, E. B. TALLMAN, now resides on the
lot. Thomas OTTLEY
was an early settler on lot 33, on lands now owned by a son, Charles
OTTLEY. Lot 53
was owned by Nathan WHITNEY, who came from Massachusetts.
Luther, Otis, and Cheeney WHITNEY, mentioned,
BURT settled lot 47, where a grandson named VAN
REED now residing on lot 14 settled thereon in an early day.
Many of the soldiers of the war of the Revolution at the close of that struggle
for independence, settled in this county, and prominent among them
was Isaac AMSDEN. He
was a brave and efficient solder, and was celebrated in the army
as a marksman and scout. Never
stepping from the path of duty to avoid danger, he was ever found
at his post, and participated in the campaign, which closed with
the surrender of Burgoyne, on the 17th day of October
was a pioneer on lot 90 and also resided some time on lot 65.
One SINCLAIR was an early settler on
lot 67. Lot 72
was originally settled by Mathew RIPPEY, from Pennsylvania.
A son, Thomas G. RIPPEY, now occupies a portion of
lot 74. Mr. RIPPEY was one of thirteen children who lived to
the advanced age of seventy-four years.
David MC MASTER and Abram A. POST, were
pioneers on lot 68. Mr.
POST was a prominent citizen and held the office of
supervisor, justice of the peace, etc.
A grandson, Charles POST, now resides in the town.
Lot 6 was settled by Israel WEBSTER, from New
England, who located on premises now occupied by his sons, Lester
and Willard WEBSTER. The
father of Joseph CHILDS located on lot 26 in an early day.
Otis WHITNEY is the present proprietor of lands on
lot 55, originally settled by Simeon AMSDEN.
Messrs. PORTER and PECK settled lot 56, on
premises now occupied by Joshua PORTER and H. H. PECK.
Joel WHITNEY came from Massachusetts in 1790 and
located on lot 45. An
old pioneer, named Hugh FULTON, resided on lot 25, and has several
descendants residing in the county.
Israel WEBSTER, Gamaliel BROCKAWAY and
TORRANCE and ROBERTS were pioneers on lot 6.
Joseph FULTON and William RIPPEY were
pioneers on lot 53. Two
daughters of the latter now reside in the town, Mrs. M. P.
HAMON and Mrs. R. C. WHITNEY, wife of Ami
WHITNEY, Esq. The
premises now occupied by Alex. MC PHERSON
was early settled
by his father and a man named CULVER.
Edward O. RICE was an early settler on lot 54, on lands
now owned by a grandson of H. J. RICE.
Lot 52 was settled by John DIXON, father of
DIXON, the present occupant of a portion of that lot.
Seba SQUIER early bade farewell to the hills of New
England, and came to Seneca, and located on lot 31, where a son. R.
SQUIER, now resides. Mr. LATTA was a pioneer on lot 29, and
BROTHER on lot 27.
BROTHER was an early surveyor, and rendered great assistance
to the settlers. His
son, Charles S., was also a prominent citizen and
represented the county in the Legislature.
Both he and his wife died a few years since, at their home
in this town, passing away within twenty-four hours of each other.
"The black camel, death, halts once at each door,
A mortal must mount to return never more."
The name of
REED is closely identified with the recollections of lot 33.
He located thereon in an early day, and married Martha
RIPPEY, youngest of the thirteen mentioned above, whose united
ages average seventy-four years, and this estimable couple
celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage in 1875.
The “golden wedding” was a happy episode in their
lives, and will ever be remembered by those who participated in
the festivities. Mrs.
REED has been a member of the No. 9 Presbyterian church more
than fifty years. Thomas
DESMORE was an early settler on lot 4, where a son, Thomas,
now resides. Mr.
DARROW, from New England, was the pioneer on lot 24.
Two sons, Hiram and Washington, reside on the
lot. James M.
GATES occupies the old homestead where his father, Solomon
GATES, located in a very early day.
The premises now owned by J. H. WILDER, were settled
by his father Colonel WILDER, who was one of the prominent
and influential men of the town.
Lot 3 was early settled by the REEDS, MC CAULEYS and
one HOLLIDAY; the latter was a celebrated “fiddler”,
and was known miles around.
Mr. DUTTON was a pioneer on lot 16, and he also had an
enviable reputation for his proficiency in the use of the bow, to
whose bewitching strains the light fantastic of “auld lang syne”
had often best the time. The
REEDS were identified with lot 32, a portion is now
occupied by Newton A. and Wilson REED.
Mr. ONDERDUNK, father of A. and R. ONDERDUNK,
early settled on lot 33. David
BARRON was an early settler in the eastern part of the town,
coming here with his father in 1801m then but one year of age.
He was born in Northumberland, England, August 15, 1800,
and still resides in the town of Seneca.
The RINGER family were prominent among the pioneers of Seneca, and did much toward the improvement of the county. The following very interesting sketch of this family is given from the pen of T. T. R.,” of Wayne county:
“About the year
1800, two brothers, John and Jacob RINGER emigrated
from Maryland, and settled in the town of Seneca, about four miles
northwest of Geneva, and each became the owner of one of the
beautiful farms in that vicinity.
Jacob had three sons, David, John and
and for David and John he purchased each a hundred acres of
land on a lot numbered 68, in Galen, lying about three miles
southeast of Lyons. David
settled on his land as early as 1807, and resided there until
1827, when he emigrated to Steubenville, Ohio.
Politically, he ranked with the Federal party, and was one
of the first justices of the peace in the town.
John settled on his land in 1811, cleared it up, put
on buildings, and resided there until 1852 – when, assisting at
the raising of a bridge across the rive, he met with an accident
that cost him his life. He
was struck on the head with a stick of timber, and fell into the
river, a distance of twenty feet or more.
He was taken out and carried to the nearest house on the
north side of the river, and doctors sent for, - Dr. Elijah
JARVIES and Dr. BEAUMONT, of Lyons, - and a man was
sent post-haste to Geneva for Dr. VAN DERBURG, the most
eminent surgeon in the country at the time.
The accident happened in the after part of the day, and I
saw the patient in the evening.
He lay in an unconscious state, but was restless, keeping
his limbs continually in motion.
About 10 o’clock Dr. VAN DERBURG arrived.
He came in, took out his instruments, threw off
his coat, rolled up his sleeves, called for some warm
water, and commenced operations.
He laid the skull bare, found the fracture, bored a hole
through it, and put in a probe to raise it up to its natural
shape, when the whole temple-bone above the ear came out.
The doctor shook his head saying, “It’s all day with
him!”. Then the
doctor removed a quantity of blood from the brain, and RINGER
lay quiet until five o’clock next morning, when he breathed his
last, leaving a widow and six children, one son, the late Ezra
RINGER and five daughters, the youngest an infant.”
The old road
called the Geneva and Rushville Plank Road was formed in about
1849, and passed through this town, entering it at the east part
on lot 3 and extending in a southwesterly direction, passing into
the town of Gorham between lots 95 and 97.
Commencing with the settlers in the western part of the
town, on this road, first comes Peter
emigrated from Catskill and settled in 1803 on lot 95, on premises
now owned by A. MOTT.
Where John M. C. THOMPSON now resides on lot 97, was
settled by George SIMPSON, who has two sons living, viz,
in Seneca county and Thomas in this town. Many of the pioneers of Ontario came from the “Keystone
State,” and conspicuous among the number was George O.
who located on lot 96, in about 1805, where a son, George
now resides. Three
other children are living, viz: Hamilton and Mary Ann
in this town and Jeremiah in the county of Livingston.
William FIERO in 1802, came from Catskill and
erected the standard of civilization on lot 98, and died in this
town at the advanced age of about eighty years.
A daughter, Magdalen, the wife of
Phillip EDINGTON, resides in the town and a grandson,
W. F. EDINGTON, D.D.S., is a prominent citizen of the village of
Geneva, and one of the leading dentists in the State.
The pioneer at
Stanley’s Corners was Seth STANLEY, grandfather of the
late Hon. Seth STANLEY. He was born in New Britain, Connecticut, March 18, 1751 and
in 1796, settled on the farm now occupied by Elbert LAWRENCE
on lot 71.
Salma STANLEY, uncle of the late member of Assembly, was the pioneer
on lot 73, on lands now owned by John R. MC CAULEY.
when the tocsin of war sounded in 1812, laid aside the implements
of the husbandman and started for the battlefield.
He held the rank of Captain, and was a good soldier and
brave commander. During a severe engagement his sword was struck by a ball and
bent, and the leaden missile lodged in the scabbard, thus
preventing what otherwise would have proved a terrible wound.
The souvenir of that conflict is still in the possession of
the STANLEY family. An
old sea captain, who had for years rode the billows of the briny
deep, strayed to this town and became the pioneer on lot 74, on
lands now owned by Thomas A. MC CAULEY, Esq.
The first settler on lot 72 was Thomas
MC CAULEY, who emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1803, and
located on lands now occupied by a grandson, Rice MC CAULEY.
The father of Thomas MC CAULEY promptly responded to
the call of duty when the colonists were struggling for their
independence, and joined the army, where he did effective service
in repelling British aggression.
Three children of Thomas are now living, viz;
John R., a
prominent and influential citizen, residing at Stanley’s
Corners; Margaret, the wife of J. S. FULTON, also residing
at Stanley’s and Amy, the wife of. A. W.
in the village of Penn Yan. John R. MC CAULEY, Esq., mentioned above, now seventy
years of age, was born on the farm where he now resides.
He has three children living, - Emily C. ADAIR, Thomas
A., and Rice MC CAULEY.
was the original proprietor of the farm now owned by A. J.
DILLENBECK and Peter BLACKMORE early settled lot 55, on
premises now owned by J. V. SNYDER, a son-in-law.
An New Englander, named HARFORD, early located on
lot 56 where William FROSTER now resides.
John MC CULLOUGH, from Pennsylvania, settled in 1802
where Charles PROBASCO now resides.
MC PHERSON emigrated from
the “Keystone State” and located on lot 56, in about the year
1800. He was an
active citizen a captain of the militia, and served gallantly in
the war of 1812. He was proficient in the militia tactics, and it was his
delight to see the boys.
"Beat the sheepskin, blow the fife,
And march in trainin' order."
A son of Captain
MC PHERESON, Alexander, now resides in the town.
Whitney SQUIER and Squier PARKS were
pioneers on lot 33. William
PARKS, son of Squier PARKS, is reputed to have been the
first white child born in Ontario County. Alexander
PARKS, a grandson, resides on the lot.
At this place on Burrall creek, Mr. PARKS erected
one of the pioneer saw mills.
Jenks PHILLIPS and his father were pioneers on
lot 34, on lands now owned by L. VOSBURG,
Jonathan REED, familiarly known as “uncle Jonathan",
was an early settler on lot 32; N. A. REED and
widow of Melancton REED, now reside on this lot.
James MEANS early located on lot 7, where the widow
of Joseph MEANS now resides, and lot 32 was settled by Arthur
LEWIS, from Pennsylvania.
Jacob REED, the eldest son of Jonathan REED,
now residing on lot 34, was born in the town, and celebrated his
“golden wedding” in January 1875.
Two persons were present at this happy event who were
present at the marriage of this now venerable couple, when they
stepped out into the broad arena of active live, fifty years ago.
"We shunned not labor; when 'twas due
We wrought with right-good will;
And for the home we won for them,
Our children bless us still.
We lived not hermit lives; but oft
In social converse met;
And fires of love were kindled then,
That burn on warmly yet.
Oh, pleasantly the steam of life
Pursued its constant flow,
In the days when we were pioneers,
Fifty years ago!"
a native of Rhode Island, was one of the earliest of these
pioneers who erected the standard of home in the wilderness of
Seneca, located on lot 35, on premises now owned by a grandson, Charles
RICE, the father of Frank RICE, Esq., a rising young
attorney in the village of Canandaigua, and the present district
attorney of Ontario County. Two
brothers, Leonard and William SMITH, together with
their father were the pioneers on lot 30, on lands now owned by Oliver
MONEGAL and Mrs. RIPPEY.
A man named WELCH was the pioneer on lot 73,
where A. C. RIPPEY now resides and Chauncey BARDEN
was the pioneer and original proprietor of lot 99. Lot 100 was settled by Alfred SQUIER, whose widow and
two daughters reside in the town.
Lot 75 is divided diagonally by the old “Canandaigua and
Jefferson” railroad, now called the Northern Central, and was
first settled by a native of Pennsylvania, Aaron BLACK,
whose son, of the same name, now resides on the lot.
John WOOD, of English extraction, came to the
wilderness and located on lot 113, on premises now occupied by a
son, J. M. WOOD. John
RIPPEY early settled on lot 114, on lands now owned by his
sons, J. N. and Matthew.
Among the early settlers of Seneca were the
who located on lot 35, near the Presbyterian church.
Robert PARKS was also a pioneer of the town; he was
a brother of Squier PARKS, and selected a site on lot 36,
and probably was proprietor of the entire lot.
those who sought a home in the fertile country of the Senecas,
were the RIPPEYS. John
RIPPEY, the predecessor of the numerous and honored
descendants of the name now residing in the town, was the pioneer
on lot 9. The
following are names of the male descendants of this worthy pioneer
now living in the town: Hamilton, George O., Thomas, Aaron C.,
Thomas G., James N., Matthew, John, John S., George O. 2nd,
John 2nd, Robert, J. Grove (in Geneva), and
Addison. Lot 101
was early settled by Mr. VAN OSDOL.
A name well
remembered by many of the oldest citizens is that of Timothy
MINER, a native of New England, who came to this town and
located on lot 102. He
was a sturdy son of the “Green Mountain State”, and was well
adapted to face the hardships that met the pioneers at every step
in their attempt to subdue the forest.
Mr. M. at one time had a “fracas” with old Bruin, and
was subsequently known as the man who wrestled with the bear.
A pious old Negro,
named DUNBAR, strayed into Seneca in an early day, and
became a pioneer on lot 15. He was enthusiastically religious, and in the evening, when
the labor of the day was closed, the neighborhood resounded with
the glad refrain of the old “darky” who made the welkin ring
“As I was a goin’ along one day
what do you reckon he said to me,
‘you’re sin , are forgiven, an’ your soul sot free!”
He died for de whole roun’ worl’ chil’ren,
died for de whole roun’ worl’.”
a native of New England, early located on lot 77, where a son and
daughter, John and Martha, now reside.
SQUIER was a pioneer on lot 78, on premises now owned by a son,
Jesse SQUIER. Lot
115 which is covered by the railroad, was originally settled by Edward
BURRELL, an Englishman, who erected one of the primitive
WHEADON was a pioneer, and located on lot 37, where E. S.
DIXON now resides. Foster
SINCLARE early located on lot 116, which is crossed by Burrell
creek. When the white
setter threaded his way into this section, a number of Indian
apple trees was found standing on lot 37.
They were thrifty trees when James
RICE, the pioneer
on the lot, located, but have lone since passed away.
John HOOPER, from Pennsylvania, settled lot 38.
Mr. DORMAN, father of A. and Captain J. S.
DORMAN, one of the prominent agriculturists and influential
citizens of the town, was an early settler on lot 13. Adam
TURNBULL, a native of England, was a pioneer on lot 40.Two
sons, Alexander and Edward, reside on the lot and
the former is a justice of the peace.
The premises now owned by Paul F. BILL, on lot 39,
was first settled by his father, Richard D. Wm. FROSTER
John DIXON were pioneers on lot 58, through which passes the
North Central Railway, and here, also is located the Hall’s
Corners Station. Lot
57, now owned by the HALLS, was first settled by one
Lot 80, was purchased by William BROWN and John
SCHOON, and 82 by Aaron BLACK from Pennsylvania, which
lot is now owned by RICE, MC CAULEY, MC CANDISH and SEARS.
An Englishman named STOKIE was the pioneer on lot
104, where a descendant of the same now resides.
Lot 106 was originally settled by Jonathan
the present occupant of the same name. George CONRAD was on lot 81, now occupied by a son,
Thomas VARTIE left “old Albion” in an early day,
crossed the sea and came to Seneca, located on lot 59, and his
homestead is now occupied by G. W.
SUTHERLAND, who married
an adopted daughter of Thomas VARTIE, Sr.
Among the pioneers
of this old town stands the name of Edward
HALL, of honored
memory. He was a
prominent citizen, and the proprietor of a primitive inn, the
first in this section. He
as three descendants residing at Ball’s Corners, Thomas W.,
Edward N. and Margaret; two in town, Mrs. Jane RICE and
Mrs. Sarah STOKIE, and one, Mary COLEMAN,
Yates county. The
land now occupied by C. OFFICE, was originally settled by Sherman LEE.
The FIEROS early settled lot 42, and the
adjoining lot 17, was settled by William WILSON,
whose son, David WILSON, now resides on the lot.
The COOLIES were pioneers on lot 19, and
ROBINSON on lot 44, on premises now owned by Alexander
FISH, Esq. Lot 43 was settled by John ROBSON,
father of S.
ROBSON, the present occupant.
James BEATTIE and George CROSHIER
62; a son of Mr. CROSHIER,
T. W., now occupies a portion of the lot.
Lot 61 was settled by an Englishman named STRAUGHTEN.
The father of J.C. WILSON was a pioneer on lot 84,
where the latter now resides. Lot 83 was settled by Rufus SMITH.
Robert MOODY was an early settler on lot 108, where
his son, Robert MOODY, now resides, who is a prominent
citizen and the present supervisor of the town. Valentine PERKINS was the first settler on lot 107,
and was a pioneer on lot 47.
Intimately connected with the pioneer history of both
Ontario and Yates is the name of BARDEN, honored and
respected by all. Lot
48 was originally settled by this family and is now occupied by
Levi, Thomas E., and Otis BARDEN.
Daniel SUTHERLAND and one REYNOLDS
pioneers on lot 63, on the south border of the town.
A man named REED early located on lot 88, where
H. E. REYNOLDS now resides.
Sylvester SMITH was an early settler on lot 85, on
lands now owned by James ADAMSON, a co-partner with Hon.
Seth STANLEY in the commission business.
John THOMPSON was a pioneer on lot 87, and Valentine
PERKINS on 109, on lands now owned by Titus PERKINS. Levi GLAND was an early settler on lot 111, on
premises now owned by a grandson, J. STOKIE.
E. B. WOODWORTH is remembered as a pioneer practitioner, and his ride extended over a large region. Elihu AMSDEN studied with Dr. WOODWORTH and subsequently became a celebrated physician and surgeon. Dr. JEWITT, a brother of Dr. JEWITT of Canandaigua, Dr. HURLBURT and Edwin ANGEL were students of Aesculapius also practicing in this town. Among the primitive teaches are mentioned the names of RILANDS, HULL and DUTTON, the later the famous pioneer violinist.
There are two small villages in the town of Seneca Castle and Stanley. The former, originally called Castleon, is situated in the northern part of the town, and contains two churches, Methodist and Presbyterian, a hotel, post office, planing mill, several stores and shops, and about 200 inhabitants; it is a station on the Sodus Point and Southern Railroad, which enters the town of Seneca near the village, and forms a junction with the Northern Central at Stanley. Stanley is situated toward the centre of the town, and contains a Catholic church in process of erection, several stores and shops, lumber and coal yard, grain warehouse, about 200 inhabitants, and is a station on the Northern Central Railway. Hall's Corners is a hamlet.
THE FIRST BRIDGE OVER FLINT CREEK, AT CASTLETON, was erected in an early day, and the following is a copy of the subscription list:
Seneca, March 17, 1796
"We, the subscribers promise and agree to pay the several sums annexed to each of our names, for the building a bridge across Flint creek, on the new and most direct proposed road from Seneca to Canandaigua, and we further promise to pay said money when the bridge shall be completed.
"Sanford WILLIAMS, £8; Oliver WHITMORE, £3; Nathan WHITNEY, £6; Solomon GATES, £3, Hugh MAXWELL, £2, Samuel WARNER, £3, Warner CRITTENDEN, £3; Ebenezer BUNT, £3; Solomon WARNER, £2; Joel WHITNEY, £3; O. WHITMORE Sr., £1; Luke H. WHITMORE, £1; Elijah WILDER, £3."
The population of Seneca in 1845, was 7,911; in 1850, 8505; in 1855, 8,298; in 1860, 8,448; in 1865, 8,553; in 1870, 9,188; and in 1875, after the erection of the town of Geneva, 2,681.
SENECA GRANGE No. 284, P. of H., was organized January 7, 1875 and the following were the first officers: Thomas A. MC CAULEY, M.; J. C. SQUIER, O.; James BLACK, L.; T. G. RIPPEY, C.; H.J. RICE, Stew.; Reed TOPPING, Ass't Stew.; E. A. SQUIRES, Sec.; Ami WHITNEY, Treas.; Mrs. T. A. MC CAULEY, Lady Ass't Stew.; Mrs. M. D. LAWRENCE, Ceres; Mrs. Riche MC CAULEY, Pomona; Mrs. James BLACK, Flora; T. F. WILSON, gate keeper.
The present officers are as follows: T. A. MC CAULEY, M.; John FRESHORN, O.; Robert POLLOCK, L.; T. G. RIPPEY, C.; Charles CARSON, S.; William PITT, A.S.; Robert Moody, T.; Riche MC CAULEY, Sec.; James RICE, G.K.; Mrs. E. A. SQUIER, L. Ass't Stew; Mrs. Elbert LAWRENCE, Ceres; Mrs. John FRESHORN, Pomona, Mrs. Charles CARSON, Flora.
CASTLE GRANGE, No. 359, P of H, was organized December 3, 1875, with the following officers: John DE GRAFF, M.; Charles OTTLEY, O.; Henry J. PECK, L.; Homer CHILDS, S.; Herbert PARMELEY, A.S.; John REED, Chaplain; Columbus C. WHITNEY, T.; Byram WHITNEY, Sec.; Mr. WARD, G. K.; Miss Clara WHITNEY, Ceres; Miss Julia WHITNEY, Pomona; Miss Libbie STEADMAN, Flora; Mrs. H. J. PECK, Stewardess. No changes has taken place in the officers of this lodge, except Master, Steward, Assistant Steward, and Secretary, being now occupied by W. W. CRITTENDEN, George CARR, Homer CHILDS and James T. BRAYTON.
STANLEY LODGE, No. 434, I.O.O.F., was instituted September 1, 1875, by O. N. CRANE of Canandaigua, D.G.M., assisted by Grand Master, CAREY, of California; and the following officers were installed: Charles H. PROUDFIT, P.G.; Robert J. BARNARD, N.G.; James A. CAMERON, V. G.; Frank M. DODGE, Sec.; Andrew J. HOLLEY, Treas.
The present officers are: James A. CAMERON, P.G.; Frank M. DODGE, N.G.; George M. WHEEDON, V.G., John M. WILSON, Rec. Sec; William PRESTON, Treas.; Edward E. LAWRENCE, Sec.
The first town meeting in the town of Seneca ws held at the house of Jonathan FAIRBANKS, inn keeper, on the first Tuesday in March 1793, when the following officers were chosen; Ezra PATTERSON, supervisor; Thomas SISSON, town clerk; Oliver WHITMORE Sr., James RICH, Phineas PIERCE, assessors; Patrick BURNET, Samuel WHEEDON Peter BORTLE, Jr., commissioners of highways; Sanford WILLIAMS, collector; Jonathan OAKS, David SMITH, overseers of the poor; Oliver WHITMORE Jr., Charles HARRIS, Stephen SISSON, W. WHITMORE, constables; Nathan WHITNEY, Oliver HUMPHREY, David WOODWARD, Joram LOOMIS, Jeremiah BUTLER, Benjamin TUTTLE, William SMITH, Jr., David BENTON, Benjamin DIXON, overseers of highways; Amos JENKS, John REED, Joseph KILBOURN, Seba SQUIER, Caleb CULVER, fence viewers; Peter BORTLE, Jr., David SMITH, pound masters; Peter BORTLE, Sr., Sealer of Weights and Measures; Jeremiah BUTLORON, surveyor of lumber.
HTML by Dianne Thomas
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2001 - 2016