Victor Village History
History of Ontario Co, NY, Pub 1878
Pgs. 199 - 202
Transcribed by Dianne Thomas
Return to Home Page Return to Town Histories
as mentioned, was the first tavern keeper in the inception of their
place. Horse thieving
had been carried on, and the leader of a gang, MC BANE, by
name, was in June 1801, wounded by a shot from a gun aimed by Solomon
TURNER. He was
taken to HAWLEY’S tavern, where his wounds were dressed by Dr.
HART, then resident of the place.
The thief was taken to Canandaigua, and carefully attended,
but died within a few days. HAWLEY
sold his premises to Eleazer BOUGHTON.
A dispute arose between him and his wife, who went for refuge
to the house Joseph PERKINS.
HAWLEY then burned the latter’s barn and was sentenced
to a term of imprisonment. Abner
HAWLEY, Jr., was a large land owner, but lost the greater
portion by speculation. As
an illustration, he bought a leopard of a showman, giving therefore
a note for one thousand dollars which he failed to meet.
Rufus DRYER came from Massachusetts in 1792, at the
age of eighteen years. He
went to North Carolina in 1799.
He returned to New York, married in Cazenovia and returned to
Victor in 1807. He
purchased the tavern of Eleazer BOUGHTON and began business
in 1808. Remaining five
years, he rented to Asa HICKOX four years, and moved back in
the spring of 1817. In
1818 he built the Victor hotel, which he opened Christmas, 1819.
He died in October 1820; Miss DRYER kept the house two
years; rented several years to John M. HUGHES.
George W. and William C. DRYER went into he
hotel in 1828. In 1833
George W. went to Michigan and Truman took his place. The house was sold in 1848 to Harry PECK.
It is now owned by George PEER and William R.
DRYER. Rufus DRYER and
N. O. DICKINSON built a grist mill in Hog Hollow in 1810 or 1811
and furnished bacon and flour on the “lines” during the war.
The former became sole owner in 1816.
The property was sold to Dewey BEMENT, and was burned
in 1832 or 1833. The
hotel occupied by T. B. BRACE was built by Jabez FELT
in 1816, and conducted by him many years.
Ebenzer BEMENT kept tavern in the house where William
GALLUP lives. The
first permanent merchant was William BUSHNELL, who was
preceded in trade by Enos BOUGHTON.
He later opened a store where A. L. PEET’S harness
shop is located. These
stores were opened as early as 1808. The old tailor shop of James WALLING was occupied as a
store by BUSHNELL and JENKS about 1820.
Nathan JENKS built the store occupied by A. Simonds
& Co., in 1833-34 and sold the old store to Giles ARNOLD,
a tailor, who carried on his trade ten years, and died.
James WALLING became the owner and in 1874 sold the
old shop and erected a new brick block, and prepared for a more
extensive business. The
store occupied by William GALLUP & Co. was built by Thomas
EMBRY in 1835, and used by him for several years.
Alfred GREY was a store-keeper in 1817.
Succeeded in two years by T.M. BOUGTON, he in turn was
followed by Thomas EMBRY, who built a new store in 1835.
John I. TURNER and William I., his son, moved
in during 1826, and opened a shoe shop in the old office of Dr.
BEACH, until they built a new shop, now the dwelling of Thomas
The first wagon shop
was carried on by Stephen COLLYER.
He began in 1816 and continued till 1835, and removed to
Michigan. The first
harness shop was opened by William T. ROUP.
David STOUT was an early hatter in Victor. The first tannery was built in 1810, by Enos, Samuel and James L. GILLIS. A
shoe manufactory was connected therewith, and business carried on
for twenty-five years. In
1816 BACHELOR and LEARY opened a blacksmith shop on
the old road back of the bank building.
A school house was
finished in November 1816. It
was a frame structure, and the first teacher within its walls was Melancton
LEWIS, of Massachusetts. He
was hired at twenty dollars per month for five months and boarded
around. He had a school
of fifty scholars, of whom William C. DRYER is a survivor.
The teacher is still a resident of the village, but the old
house is removed.
postmasters of the village have been Asa HICKOX, William
BUSHNELL, twenty years, William C. DRYER in 1835, A.P.
DICKINSON, William M. BOLTWOOD, John P. FRAZER, and William
GALLUP. A railroad
station was established when the road was built, but no tickets sold
for some time. Cornelius
HURLEY was the first ticket agent, succeeded by his son,
who was followed by Gideon SHAW.
The village is handsomely situated, contains five churches, a
graded school and a population exceeding five hundred persons.
The Jacobs block,
situated on Main street, was the second and last three-story
building built in Victor, and is the largest business block in the
village. The building
is forty-four feet front by sixty feet deep, and was designed and
built by Allen JACOBS in 1875-76, at a cost of about five
thousand dollars, the smallness of its cost owing to the fact that a
large amount of the work was done by the owner.
The ground floor contains two stores, Frazer & Mour,
stoves, tinware, etc., and Betts & Fosmire, boots and shoes.
The second floor is occupied by C. Jacobs and co., harnesses,
etc, and Albert Jacobs, billiards, etc.
The entire third floor is designed for a public hall, the
recreation and waiting rooms being on the second floor.
To district No. 4.
(East Victor) came Abraham BROUGHTON, from Massachusetts in
1791. His location was
on the farm now owned by his son, Harry, who was born here in
1797. Accompanied by
his family, he came the long journey on ox-team and sled, and
experienced the hardships of a travel to the later generation
unknown. He afterwards
engaged in hauling wheat to Albany, returning with goods for the
Canandaigua merchants. He
passed away upon the farm March 2, 1827.
came later and purchased in the southeast part of the town, but soon
removing to this district to the farm of J. COLMEY, and
finally selling to Isaac WHEELER and moving to Michigan.
located upon the land of John WELCH, and built the stone
house which stands upon the farm. He erected the saw mill on Fish creek previously to 1800; ran
it a number of years, sold out and went west.
built a gristmill on the west side of the creek after HAWLEY
left, and ran a saw mill in connection with it.
The gristmill is yet in use, being operated by Hiram
came in about 1800 and some six years later erected a carding-mill
near HAWLEY’S mills, and was kept busy for a short time
when the gristmill took its place.
came to the town in 1789, and moved here in 1790.
BOUGHTON lives in various localities, and one of these
was the place of G. A. ADAMS near Great brook.
He sold to Silas PARDEE during the war of 1812, and
moved near where Fisher’s Station now is.
located at the forks of the road, on land now owned by G.W.
removed to the vicinity of the Shire Village in 1809.
built a cooper shop north of Henry BOUGHTON.
Prior to the war of 1812 he moved to lot 22, north of the
village, where he continued the business of coopering.
north of East Victor, located in 1800 where A. SCRAMLNG
lives. He followed
farming for some time, and then erected the first permanent mill in
town on the site of the Phoenix Mills at East Victor, owned by
Milber & Son.
A small settlement
was afterwards made there, which was called Scudderville, but was
changed in later years to the present name.
When SCUDDER first went to build the mill, he made his
couch in a tree-top as a precaution form the attack of wolves.
He procured bread and had his washing done at Jared
BOUGHTON’s going once a week for those purposes.
After a prosperous business for years, he sold to Thomas
WRIGHT and Elisha INGERSOLL about 1826.
After passing through various hands, the property fell to Solomon CARMAN, in whose possession the mill burned about 1860. He erected a frame mill during the same season. It is now run by B. WILBUR. The mill first erected was probably a sawmill at a very early date, and his grist mill was put up about 1810.
John M. HUGHES
operated a clothiery quite early west of the creek and south of the
road, and had also a carding-machine.
made cider brandy in a still by the creek and later manufactured the
of the firm of Bushnell & Jenks put in a stock of goods in the
place of F. DILLINGHAM and opened the pioneer store of the
located very early east of Mud creek, north of SCRAMLING.
A German by descent, he was more than a centenarian, as he
lived to be one hundred and five years of age.
Another early German
pioneer was Cornelius CONOVER, near the farm of Vincent,
became a pioneer form Stockbridge, Massachusetts, at an early date.
He located upon a road, now vacated, back in the woods in the
rear of RILEY. His
business was that of tanning deer-skins and making mittens.
followed shoemaking as the pioneer of the town in that line.
Where now lives S. H. BLOOD, was the former
property of Nathaniel, son of Levi BOUGHTON.
N. O. DICKINSON came here and kept a tavern for some
time, and was located where Thomas HENION resides.
It is related that a bear became the scourge of this region by
nightly visits to the various hog-pens. He became so great a
depredator that the neighbors assembled at SCUDDERS, from whom the
last hog had been taken, and tracked him up. The dogs set in
pursuit were badly worsted. Night was passed by a fire in the
woods, and seven men followed the trial in the morning and soon
found him dead from a shot fired the day before. Their united strength
was insufficient to drag him to the settlement and they were
compelled to employ a yoke of oxen to bring him in. From all
accounts, the animals was of unusual size.
It is related that a bear became the scourge of this region by nightly visits to the various hog-pens. He became so great a depredator that the neighbors assembled at SCUDDERS, from whom the last hog had been taken, and tracked him up. The dogs set in pursuit were badly worsted. Night was passed by a fire in the woods, and seven men followed the trial in the morning and soon found him dead from a shot fired the day before. Their united strength was insufficient to drag him to the settlement and they were compelled to employ a yoke of oxen to bring him in. From all accounts, the animals was of unusual size.
The first school house in this district was located at the forks of the road near Great brook. It is a frame building, now the property of Torrence. Of the earliest teachers, was one CATHCART, who taught two or three winters. His success may be considered good if measured by the attendance. The 3rd school was attended by 100 pupils, and the seats were placed in regular order from the walls toward the centre. Writing desks and seats for the larger were next to the wall, and were graduated towards the midst of the room, where the smallest sat. The teacher stood with his back to the great broad fireplace, and, like the Light Brigade of Balaklava, was nearly surrounded, - bad children to the right of him, children in front of him, and children to the left of him. If he did not differ materially from may of the old teachers, and work by system, he deserves this brief remembrace at our hands.
In joint district
No. 4, Ebenezer STONE, a wheelwright, was among the earlier
class, and resided near Fish creek.
He put up a small factory east of the creek, where he made
spinning-wheels and other necessary articles of domestic use.
Ira LUSK was at one time a partner with him in the
manufacture of chairs, bedsteads, etc.
Henry PIERSON moved upon his land and farmed it till
his demise. William
BARBER lived on the south side of the road, and gave the chief
portion of his attention to hunting.
S. GRISWALD, the incumbent of various civil offices,
was the pioneer of this locality, and removed west.
District No. 8 was
entered by James UPTON, of Massachusetts, about 1797.
He chose a farm where W. C. MOORE resides, and it may
be said that the selections of these pioneers of fine farms was
admirable, and approached the marvelous.
UPTON was honored as the recipient of early town
offices, and was an active citizen.
He died at an advanced age.
Josiah, a son, himself now aged, resides on the old farm.
A daughter is the wife of William C. MOORE, the
well-known banker in Victor. Cotemporary
with UPTON was Jabez HART, his neighbor, a tinner by
trade, and a welcome addition to the community.
Isaac MARSH moved in 1798, and purchased where Mrs.
CALKINS lives. Here he put up a tannery as rapidly as circumstances would
allow, and opened up a business notable for that time and place.
His patrons were from considerable distances, and connecting
the tannery with the farm, he made a success of his migration
hither. He took an
interest in political affairs, and was a local magistrate, a member
of Assembly in 1820, and departed this life November 1854, aged
eighty. A daughter, Mrs. Lucy S. NEWMAN, in her seventieth
year, is the sole survivor of the family in this town, two sons
being citizens of Michigan. Jirah
ROWLEY moved in with Mrs. MARSH and located where J.
WILDER resides. He
cleared up the farm, and then moved upon a large tract of land where
P. S. BONESTEEL lives, and in later years became prominent as
a large canal contractor. John
CLINE, a German, was a resident of this district prior to 1800.
He purchased a large tract of land, and known but little
outside his immediate neighborhood, grew old and departed leaving
his estate to his son, John CLINE Jr. John ROSE was a settler in 1806 upon the north
line, where L. GORDIN now lives.
Mr. ROSE was a Methodist minister by profession, and
blended his life in laboring for a living upon his farm and in
exhortation to well-doing by his neighbors.
He reached the age of threescore and ten, and then was called
away. Joseph TRALL
was an early resident upon the place of Mrs. MOTT.
He was known here in 1798, and made the first clearing on the
one hundred acres, which constituted his farm.
Timothy WILSON was one of the pioneers of the west
road, where Thomas EMBRY now occupies.
He went with the tide to Ohio, and there attained an extreme
age. Abraham BLISS
is the name of a settler from Albany, in 1798, upon the place of Frank
ROWLEY. For a time
he practiced his trade of shoemaking, and finally sold to Isaac
MARSH, and moved to Yates county, where he died.
A son, John BLISS born in 1790, lives in Victor.
Triphena HART taught school in her father’s barn
during the summer of 1798. A
house was built nearer the village, where Theodosia JEROME
taught. Another was
erected about 1800 near Mr. HART’S and the teacher, Paul
RICHARSON, united his ability as an instructor of youth with
that of expounding the law.
John LANE became a resident of joint district No. 6 prior to 1800, and purchased land now the property of Robert GILLIS. He was poor, as were most of the early settlers and when his farm was paid for there was nothing left but his axe and a strong arm to wield it. He used to walk form his log cabin in the north part of Victor to Canandaigua, and thresh grain with a flail in winter to get straw for his cattle in addition to what they could obtain of food in the woods. He was a courageous, independent spirit, and prompt to avenge an insult. He left a son, James LANE, who until recently has dwelt on the old homestead. Timothy, a brother of John, came west with him, and located on the farm of J.A. LANDER, where he remained some time. Harvey, son of the pioneer, John HART, was an early resident upon the land of his son, Chauncy HART. Here he died and with her son, lives the aged mother.
Jeremiah RICHARDSON came into Victor, in joint district No. 11, in May 1802, with his wife and two children, Gould and Selleck. Two yoke of oxen were attached to one wagon, and two weeks time was required for the journey from Mayfield, Montgomery county. He was overtaken by Mr. HANFORD, who then owned the land upon which Rochester has been built. Mr. HANFORD kept him company several days, and sought to induce him to locate on his land, offering as an inducement, a mill seat, and promising him an acre of ground for every day's work, he would do with his oxen. Mr. RICHARDSON has heard that HANFORD's land was low and wet, and declined the proposition. He finally purchase on the "Brace tract," paying $4 an acre. The land was wooded, and he set to work and cleared a home. The cabin was up-reared, and a piece near by sowed to oats during the first season. In 1816 he had built a frame house near the cabin. He made potash on his farm, took it to Albany in a wagon, and returned with the necessaries which the proceeds enabled him to purchase. He sold wheat at Canandaigua at 25 cents per bushel, and took his pay in goods. Tea was then $2.00 per pound, and shiriting, 50 cents a yard. He died in 1868, aged 66*. (*believe this to be an incorrect age). A son, Silas RICHARDSON, lives on the place. A man named LADD was also an early resident, and had a like experience; he died and his son, Hiram, is a resident of the town. The 3 districts just considered sent their children to school in an old log house near where W. F. HAWKINS lives. Among the earlier instructors were Israel ABBOTT, Sarah ADAMS, Sophia BRACE and daughters of Isaac MARSH. The pupils of this school have mostly departed; some became prominent, and the influence of their presence exists in a variety of forms, unconscious but not less potent. The education of the masses now grown popular throughout the world has marked a new era in society, and changed the relative conditions of the classes. The voice of the people has now become all powerful, and they require the greatest good to the highest number; hence youth are not only furnished educational privileges, but compelled to use them.
Captain Jirah ROWLEY, son of Joseph ROWLEY, was an extensive canal contractor in district No. 7, and built the great embankment at Irondequoit. He served in the War of 1812, and was captain of a company that went from Victor. He moved upon the farm of Peter S. BONESTEEL, cleared up the fields, built a mill and erected a hotel. He rented the premises to Philip BONESTEEL, who, later, purchased the property now the heritage of his son, Peter S. BONESTEEL.
Ichabod TOWNS of Casanova, New York, came in early and located where S. VALENTINE now resides. He was by trade a cooper and erected a shop, in which, on stormy days, he worked upon cider and flour barrels. As evidence of his satisfaction with his lot, it may be said that he passed his life at this place, and died well along in years.
Allen BARMOUR was a third of the early settlers, and made the primary settlement of lot no. 7. He sold out about 1822 to a man named SMITH and moved to Cattaraugus county. Asa ROOT purchased upon the hill, on lot 13, and there on, died. De Forrest BOUGHTON was early on the S. BUMPUS place, and knew no other residence.
John GOULD cleared up the farm now owned by A. BENSON. He sold to VANDERHOOF, and moved away. Squire FOX came in with the earliest, and established himself on the present farm of W. W. ADAMS. Lawsuits were numerous relative to lands and persons and Mr. FOX, as a pettifogger, found no lack of employment. Here Abraham MATTISON built the first saw mill upon the Irondequoit creek, then sold out and moved elsewhere. David LYON, from Bloomfield, erected a saw and grist mill at this place about 1820, nad carried on a lively and profitable business. He sold to HUGHES and SARGENT, in whose hands, after several years, the mills burned. A man named HUMPHREYS then purchase the site and put up a fine mill. The property was bought by Mortimer WADHAUS, and operated many years, till, finally, sale was made to the present owner, John CUTTING, who has styled his property the Railroad Mills and has been their proprietor for over 30 years. Erastus HUGHES put up a fulling mill and carding machine in this locality about 1825, and during the period of home manufactory did a fair business, which was finally discontinued, and the property used as a distillery; this business proved unprofitable, and was dropped. An early death in the district was of a man named DOBBINS, whose demise occurred at a time when settlers were few and far between. John EARLE became a settler on lot 34, and connected farming with the trade of carpenter. His neighbor, Samuel MOORE, followed the same trade in like manner. The variety of trades known to the pioneers enabled one to materially assist the other, and serves as a key to the wonderful and harmonious advancement shown within brief time after the fall of the first trees in the settlement.
In district No. 9 is Fisher's Station and post office. Hither came Ashel LUSK of West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and purchased lot No. 1, where William PECK owns a farm. In this vicinity, where he remained through life, a son, B. F. LUSK, is a resident at this time.
Elisha COAN came from the same village as Mr. LUSK at a date previous to 1800, and purchased the land now owned by William WOOLSTON Jr. Mr. COAN built a saw mill near where the railroad crosses the creek northwest of his house. Here he did a small business in lumber and in time sold to Samuel TALLMADGE and moved to Seneca county. Gregory HILL was a settler from Vermont upon the farm where his son, William, lives upon lot 42. Captain Richard BRUNSON came in from Connecticut early, and erected a saw mill near where WILEY has his blacksmith shop. Richard HAYES was the builder of a grist mill on the creek in 1810, and in 6 years sold to Ambrose C. FORD of Onondaga county. Mr. FORD milled for several years, and when the canal was laid, became a contractor of a section. He was connected with Mr. ROWLEY in building the Irondequoit embankment. A son, Erastus FORD, owns the place his father cleared and lives in Fisher, aged 73 years. This locality may well attract notice, from the number and variety of its efforts at utilizing the waterpower. Jonas ALLEN of Mendon, built and ran a saw mill in 1814 near FORD's mill. He sold to Isaiah HUDSON and others, who soon let it run down. ALLEN erected a fulling and carding mill in 1817, operated it 2 years, sold to Philip MOON, who did a flourishing business in carding and cloth dressing for half a dozen years. The property came into possession of Soules, Matthews & Co., with whom it ceased operation. Captain BRUNSON had a distillery here in 1818, of the early rude but effective class so common and so pernicious in tendency. Others of these institutions were run by Samuel CHANDLER, William MOSES and Fitch & Blair. Their career was short, and not altogether useless, in the sense of an incentive to grain raising. Their demand for corn and rye opened a home market. Whiskey brought 18 cents per gallon at Charlotte, in cash. This was the main reliance for the means to satisfy the taxes. Joseph and Barzilla WOOLSTON, from New Jersey, emigrated to this region among the first. Joseph located where Benjamin SMART lives, nad gave his winter leisure to shoemaking nad mending. Barzilla purchased near the cedar swamp, where L. MC CARTY lives. Both later removed to Mendon, where they died. A son of Joseph WOOLSTON, William WOOLSTON, is a resident of the town. Asa GASKILL from Scipio, came in and settled were H. VAN VORHIS lives and afterwards, bought out Joseph WOOLSTON. Charles FISHER, of Henrietta, moved here in 1817 and from him the station derived its name on the construction of the road. A post office was established 5 years later, and Mr. FISHER was appointed the first official. When ye died, Joseph GIFFORD succeeded him and is yet in the place. James and Michael BIGGINS were agents at the station for 27 years. David BARRETT was yet another of the old settlers, and the early owner of the land of A. G. BOND. He moved to Rochester and there died. Two sons became preachers and one, Hiram BOND, moved to Michigan and became a member of Assembly from that State.
Joseph ROWLEY was a pioneer in district No. 12 upon the farm of W. J. ROWLEY. In 1812, Simeon PARKS of Scipio, Cayuga county, came in and purchased where Mrs. PARKS lives, from Levi BOUGHTON. Here he died, aged 82, and here in Victor, resides a daughter, now 76 years of age. Eleazer BOUGHTON came from Boughton Hill and took up his residence where A. BICKFORD lives. He was known as an early justice of the peace and as the keeper of a tavern. Jonathan SMITH located some 80 rods southeast from Joseph ROWLEY. He was a carpenter by trade. Speculators were numerous in those early days, and among that class may be numbered Isaac SIMMONS, an occupant where A. BICKFORD now owns, and, with the opportunities at command in 1816, engaged extensively in that hazardous employment.
District No. 10 was settled in 1810 by Elston HUNT of Montgomery county. The district was then an unbroken wooded tract, marked by the surveyor's hand in lines distinguishing the various lots, and locally recorded upon the trunks of trees. Aided by these primitive and authoritative directions. Mr. HUNT found the land of his choice to be upon the east side of lot No. 2 of that tract. Very little of this part of town was occupied, while Boughton Hill and other parts of Victor had been settled a score of years. Descendants dwell upon the pioneer farm. Samuel DRYER came into the vicinity about the same time, and locating on the same lot, became his neighbor, and the lives of the two men were alike peaceful and industrious. James WILMARTH, brother to Ezra, was the pioneer on lot No. 3, where H. BEMENT now owns. Seth POTTER was a early settler, as was Deacon SHELDON, who lived upon the property of B. F. LUSK.
District No., 3, was occupied by Jonathan CULVER about 1801. His first location was on the farm now owned by Alexander H. FRENCH. He later moved east to joint district No. 5, where he died. Roswell MURRAY came from Florida, Montgomery county, about 1810, and bought the farm where B. and D. ELLIS live. A daughter, Vilate, was wife to Heber KIMBALL, the Mormon. He was accustomed, when he had increased the number of his wives, to designate her as "his angel wife:" The wife of Mr. MURRAY embraced the Mormon faith, and became a follower of the new prophet, Joseph SMITH. She was a sister to Brigham YOUNG. The Mormons held meetings in this neighborhood, using a barn for the purpose, and on one occasion the indignation of hte people was shown by an attack with stones, and the assembly dispersed. Asa HICKOX came to Victor in 1789, and took up his abode in the house of Nathaniel NORTON. He moved to this town in 1791, upon the farm now the property of Mrs. TURNER. He dug a mortar from a stump, and therein pounded his grain. The old stump was removed many years since, by Mr. ELLIS. As a choice, and a relief from work with the "samp mill", Mr. HICKOX at one time carried a bushel of corn upon his back to Mynderse Mills at Seneca Falls, and returned with his first ground meal. John and William WARD were early settlers on the same lot, No. 6. H. H. COVILL, a son, is a present resident of the district. Increase CARPENTER came here in 1808 and purchased the north end of No. 4, where his son, P. CARPENTER, now resides, whereon he passed his days. He was accompanied by Peter SHARP, who lived southeast of him. A Mr. BOUCK, an uncle of Governor BOUCK, was quite an early resident here upon the south side of No. 10. In this district and the one north were 18 lots bought by SACKETT, of Sackett's Harbor. He conveyed to Elisha CAMPBELL, by whom they were sold in suitable tracts to those seeking land.
Joint district No. 5 was settled by Ezra WILMARTH upon the farm of Curtis BENNETT. His subsequent record had been given in district No. 1. John CULVER moved in form No. 3, and was a life resident of the locality. Joshua KETCHUM purchased 300 acres and farmed till his death, when his son, Jared, continued to work the place where Mrs. PARMELE now resides.
Incidents of the early days are traditionally noted, but rarely fine other preservations; examples are herein briefly given. The survey for the Erie canal was made through Victor in 1817. The party of surveyors had a camp, with tents, on the flat near the village. Here they made headquarters, and it was conjectured for some time that the canal would be run on that rout, but influences directed its present location. In 1823 a small canal boat was bult near the town line on the edge of Bloomfield, and taken on trucks hauled by many yoke of oxen to Bushnell's Basin, a distance of 8 to 10 miles, and launched. The stone used at the "Great Embankment" was quarried and drawn from Victor. When Joseph SMITH had issued an edition of the "Book of Mormon,: he set out to find sale for it. He came to Victor village one day about noon, and the afternoon passed without a sale. Towards night he asked lodging with Mr. GULLY, and the arrangement was brief absence of the landlord, consulted Mrs. GULLY, and the arrangement was perfected. When his bill was settled SMITH had a balance of 3 shillings, which he unfortunately invested in liquor. It was a custom them with the boys of the village when they found a man drunk, to arouse him in the water vat in front of the tavern, and the future prophet proved no exception to the rule. Few would have thought that this awkward, drenched and drunken young man was destined to a world wide reputation as an originator and leader of a sect whose principles, though at variance with law, yet number thousands of followers.
The "stave war" broke out in 1823. David RICHMOND cut a large quantity of staves on the farm of Abijah COVILL during the winter, and made a double sale of them, receiving his price. The purchasers were Mr. HOWARD of Richmond and H. BOUGHTON of Victor. Each party, learning the situation, employed teams, wagons and men to secure the property. Liquor was free and times were high. The affair was an event of the time, and scarcely recalled at present.
In October 1812, a meeting was called to name the town, which was then a part of Bloomfield, which embraced East and West Bloomfield, Victor nad Mendon. On motion, it was voted to call the town Victor, after the middle name of Claudius Victor BOUGHTON, son of Hezekiah BOUGHTON, Jr., and a mark of honor for the conveyance of important dispatches from the army to headquarters at Albany, through the lines of the enemy and the forest at the peril of life . As the first anniversary meeting, held the 5th of April 1813, in the meeting house on the "hill" the following town officers were duly elected, viz: Eleazor BOUGHTON, town clerk; Jacob LOBDELL, supervisor; Nathaniel BOUGHTON, Ezra WILMARTH, and Sellick BOUGHTON assessors; Ezekiel SCUDDER, Elisha WILLIAMS and Joseph BRACE, commissioners of highways; James UPTON and Rufus DRYER, overseers of the poor; Solomon GRISWALD, constable and collector; Joseph PERKINS, poundmaster.
Fence viewers and path masters were elected as follows, viz: John ROSE, Silas PARDEE, Elston HUNT, Abijah WILLIAMS, Jared BOUGHTON, James M. CAMPBELL William BRACE, James UPTON, Rufus DRYER, Joseph ROWLEY Jr., John GOULD, John LUSK, and Joel CLARK. It was voted that a pound be built at the town's expense, near the residence of Joseph PERKINS. Its dimensions were to be 40 feet square, and the committee of construction were Erastus INGERSOLL, Isaac MARSH and Joseph PERKINS. Fines were imposed for allowing stock to run in the highways. It was voted to raise $100 for the support of the poor the current year. At the next meeting Jared BOUGHTON was elected town clerk, and LOBDELL continued as supervisor. In 1815, Andrew COLTON was elected to the latter office, and Isaac MARSH became town clerk. The first recorded road surveyed in the town of Victor by Jacob LOBDELL on May 30, 1796, commenced "at the centre of the road nearly opposite John MC MAHON's blacksmith shop, running north 38 rods; thence northwest to the town line, going by the house of Peter S. BONESTEEL. Matt MARVIN was the surveyor during 1796 of a road from the place of Hezekiah BOUGHTON to the Genesee road, and of a highway from the house of Asa HICKOX to a road leading from the Genesee road, near Samuel MILLER's. Julius CURTISS in March 1797, surveyed roads from Ezekiel SCUDDER's to the town line northeast and from Joel HOWE's to Northfield. Nathaniel SHEPARD was a road surveyor from 1806, and Stephen ELLIS after 1810.
MASONIC pg 204
Masonry came to Victor with the first settlers, and was no ordinary bond of early friendly relations. Upon the scroll may be found the names of Jacob LOBDELL, Eleazer BOUGHTON, Ezra WILMARTH, Solomon GRISWALD, Rufus DRYER and many another, respected and honored. A lodge was found desirable and Mr. LOBDELL was the originator of the project. Meetings were held at various houses until September 1817, when, at a meeting at the house of Ezra WILMARTH, a charter was resolved upon. A petition to the Grand Lodge of the State was drawn, signed, sent and afterwards received the approval of Lodge No. 173, at East Bloomfield and Ontario Master's Lodge No. 23, at Canandaigua. The petition with $35 was sent to New York city, and lost on the way. Again the lodges gave consent, the money was raised and intrusted to C. V. BOUGHTON, who was going to the city for merchandise. Delivery was made and at a meeting of the Grand Lodge, held March 5, 1818, a warrant was granted to hold a lodge at Victor, by the name of "Milnor Lodge, No. 303." The charter was brought by Peter PERRY from Vienna, where he received it. On the evening of March 15, a preliminary meeting was held at the house of James GILLIS. The ceremony of instituting the lodge and installed its officers took place April 15, at he "Proprietor's church." Claudius V. BOUGHTON officiated as "Grand Installing Officer and Brother Rev. A. C. COLLINS as Grand Chaplain." Lodge delegations and many people were present. The officers installed were Jacob LOBDELL, W.M.; Joseph W. SEYMOUR, S.W., Asahel MOORE, J.W.; John GRINNELL, Treasurer; Peter PERRY, Secretary; Samuel GILLIS, S.D., Loton LAWSON, J.D.; Solomon GRISWALD and William GUYANT, S.; Isaac SIMMONS, T. The lodge embraced the names of 13 members with as many associates. The lodge held its first meeting April 18, 1818, at James GILLIS'S hotel, which stood upon the present site of W. C. DRYER's residence. A fifth meeting was held June 15, at the hotel of Jabez FELT, now the residence of Thomas B. BRACE. Numbers increased and 23 prominent citizens became members; among them Heber KIMBALL, later known as a Mormon leader. The MORGAN excitement (because of the Morgan affair, the Masons were accused of murder and shielding the guilty http://www.masonicinfo.com/morgan.htm and http://users.crocker.com/~acacia/text_stcwm.html) struck a heavy blow, and Masonry quivered at the shock. From 80 members, the number was reduce to a dozen or less.
The warrant was retained by a member till 1848, when it was given to the Grand Lodge. On January 28, 1848, the following named members of "Milnor Lodge, No. 303" met at W. C. DRYER'S hotel and organized the present lodge, viz: Asahel MOORE, W. M.; Asahel BOUGHTON, S.W.; Jabez FELT, J.W.; Zacheus P. GILLETT, treasurer; Samuel H. LEE, Secretary; Arnold PERKINS, S.D.; Hiram BROOKS, J.D. and Samuel H. LEE, Ryler, embracing all present. The old warrant was used. On June 18, 1848, the Grand Lodge granted a warrant to the three first named to hold a lodge to be known as "Milnor Lodge, No. 139." On September 7, the lodge was instituted and officers installed. On December 7, 1848, the place of assembly was changed to the upper room of the old building now owned by James WALLING. A committee for room reported, November 30, 1850, that they had secured quarters with the Odd Fellows, in Seavey's Hall, nad January 1851, the lodge met at that place. In the latter part of 1869, the lodge vacated and took a small room at Victor Hotel until December 8, 1870, when they returned to Seavey's Hall. During the years 1872-73, the question of rooms in the 3rd floor of the Moore block was mooted, and February 27, 1873, an executive committee was named, and a fine room elegantly furnished at an expense of nearly $1,500. On the evening of June 12, the lodge convened in their new quarters. Of the charter members of No. 303, James Lyle GILLIS alone survives; of No. 139, Samuel H. LEE is living. The lodge numbers nearly 100 members, officered as follows: Bolivar ELLIS, W.M.; Milton STAFFORD, S.W.; Edward J. SIZER, J.W.; George P. MAYO, treasurer; and Stephen B. CROCKER, Secretary.
HTML by Dianne Thomas
These electronic pages may be printed as a link or for personal use, but is NOT to be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by ANY other organization or persons.
Copyright 2002 - 2014
[NY History and Genealogy]