Family And Civil War Information on GEORGE WEISMORE
This family biography and civil war record
was generously contributed by James
H. Weismore, on his Great grandfather, George Wiesmore, (Weismore)
who is buried at Roosevelt Corners on Rt. 49, west of Central Square.
He enlisted in the 12th NY Cav. at Granby, in Aug. 1862,
for a period of 3 years. During this time he served in and about
New Berne NC. There is a history of this unit at which gives a very extensive history of the
12th NY Cav., along with
rosters, engagements and much more.
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE4 WIESMORE (PETER FELEX3 WIESSMER, PETER2, PETER1) was born 1827 in Homer, Cortland County, New York 1, and died May 11, 1886 in Hastings Township, Oswego County, New York2. He married ELIZABETH EARHART November 7, 1850 in New London, New York3, daughter of PHILLIP EARHART and KATHERINE. She was born February 6, 1828 in Hessen Darmstadt, Germany4, and died February 2, 1914 in R R 5, Rome, New York 5.
for GEORGE WIESMORE:
Enlisted as a Pvt. in CO. B, 12th New York Cavalry, Aug. 25th, 1862, Oswego Falls (Granby), Oswego Co. NY for a period of three years. Mustered in on Nov. 12, 1862 at New Dorp Stanton Island, NY. He remained at New Dorp for training in cavalry tactics until about May ,1863. At this point he was assigned duties with the 12th NY Cavalry at Newbern NC.
In July 1863 while with and his Company on a raid in the town of Tarboro NC, when on the return trip back to New Berne his horse became exhausted and fell injuring George's left leg below the knee. Because of this injury George was placed on light duty for about 3 month and was transferred to Regimental Hdqts. for duty as a Teamster (horse and wagon driver). In March 1865 at which time he was assigned to the 132nd Infty as a teamster, then in May 1865 he was assigned as CO. cook.
George served his entire period of the war in North Carolina. He was discharged July 19, 1865, at Raleigh, North Carolina.
The following information was taken from George Wiesmore Army Pension Record.
1. For five years prior
to his enlistment in the Army he lived in the following places.
2. After the Army
his pension on April 9, 1883.
INFORMATION from Census reports:
1. 1860 U.S. Census
4th Ward in the city of Oswego, the state of New York, 3rd day of July
1860, page 102 or790 line 35-40.
2. 1865 New York
Census, First Election district of the town of Volney, Oswego CO. NY June
1, 1865, page 11 line 27-33.
About GEORGE WIESMORE:
for ELIZABETH EARHART:
2. 1865 NEW YORK STATE
CENSUS, OSWEGO CO., in the TOWN of VOLNEY, FIRST ELECTION DISTRICT, JUNE
4, 1865 pg. 21, line 28.
3. 1880 NEW YORK FEDERAL
CENSUS, OSWEGO CO., in the TOWN of HASTINGS, Supv. Dist. No. 8, Enum. Dist.
No. 239 pg. 12, line 21, June 15, 1880.
4. 1892 NEW YORK STATE
CENSUS, OSWEGO CO., in the TOWN of SCHROEPPEL, SECOND ELECTION DIST., pg.
5. 1900 NEW YORK FEDERAL
CENSUS, ONEIDA CO., in the town of ROME, CITY of ROME, Supv. Dist. No.
13, Enum. Dist. No. 4, Sheet No. 13, line 11.
6. 1910 NEW YORK FEDERAL
CENSUS, ONEIDA CO., in the City of ROME, Enumeration District No. 84, page
187, line 1-5.
About ELIZABETH EARHART:
Marriage Notes for GEORGE
WIESMORE and ELIZABETH EARHART:
Children of GEORGE WIESMORE
and ELIZABETH EARHART are:
for CHARLES WIESMORE:
2. 1865 New York State Census in the Township of Volney, County of Oswego, June 14, 1865 Page 21, 6 years old. Name Spelled Wismore.
3. 1880 New York Federal Census Township of Hastings, County of Oswego June 15, 1880, Page 198, Line 14, 23 years old, working as a farm laborer. Mother and Brother on same page line no's 21, and 22. Name was spelled Wiesmore.
4. 1892 New York State Census Township of Schroeppel, County of Oswego, page 10, line 17. Mother, brother Phillip, and sister, Hattie. Name spelled Wiesmore.
5. 1910 New York Federal Census Township of Lincoln, County of Madison, Supervisor's dist. No. 13, Enumeration Dist. No. 21, Sheet 5, line 33, Wife, Edith and 3 Children (Leona, George, and Donald) also Brother-in-law ,with him. Living in the Warner District. Name spelled Wiesmore.
6. 1920 New York Federal Census Township of Lincoln, County of Madison, Jan. 9, 1920. With Wife, Edith and 6 children (George, Donald, Doris, Stewart, Raymond, and Harold). Name was spelled Wiesmore.
7. The spelling Wiesmore became the version used by Charles and his descendants.
About CHARLES WIESMORE:
About EDITH WILCOX:
v. GEORGE WIESMORE,
for JAMES S. WIESMORE:
BORN: NOVEMBER, 1866 ONONDAGA CO.
1. 1880 NEW YORK STATE FEDERAL CENSUS, The Town of Hastings, in the County of Oswego. June 15, 1880, Superv. Dist. No. 8 Enum. Dist. No. 239, Pg. 19, Line 22. Name spelled Wiesmore.
a: Was living with His mother, Elizabeth, he was 13 years old.
2. 1900 NEW YORK STATE FEDERAL CENSUS, Town of Rome, in the city of Rome, ward 4, second Precinct. Name spelled Wiesmore.
a: Was living at Conrod Road or Street with his wife, Emma, three children Violet, Lula, James S., and mother, Elizabeth.
3. 1910 NEW York STATE FEDERAL CENSUS - Town of Rome, in the city of Rome, Ward 4, Oswego Road, Supervisor's district no. 101, Enumeration district no. 84. [Name spelled here, as Weismore ]
a: Was living with wife, Emma G., children Violet G., Lulu E., and mother, Elizabeth.
More About JAMES S. WIESMORE:
vii. HATTIE WIESMORE, b. April 1881, Oswego County, New York; d. Unknown.
for HATTIE WIESMORE:
BORN: APRIL, 1881 OSWEGO CO. N. Y.
1. 1892 NEW YORK STATE CENSUS, OSWEGO CO. SECOND ELECTION DISTRICT OF THE TOWN OF SCHROEPPEL.
a: Was living with Phillip Wiesmore, Elizabeth Wiesmore, and Charles Wiesmore. 11 Years old at the time. (Elizabeth would have been 52 years, when giving birth to Hattie).
2. 1900 UNITED STATES FEDERAL CENSUS FOR THE STATE OF NEW YORK, ONEIDA CO., Town of ROME, in the city of ROME. June 4, 1900, Sups. Dist. No. 13, Enum. Dist. No. 34, Sheet no. 4, line Page No. 11.
a: Was Living at 105 Stanwix street with another lady by the name of Lizzie Hazelton. 19 Years old at the time.
3. 1910 UNITED STATES FEDERAL CENSUS FOR THE STATE OF NEW YORK, ONEIDA CO., Town of ROME , in the city of ROME. APRIL 16, 1910 Supv. Dist. No. 11, Enum Dist. No. 77, Sheet No. 4B, Ward No. 1.
a: Was living at 121 East Dominick Street, as a Servant for N. K. White and his wife. 29 Years old at the time.
4. 1920 UNITED STATES FEDERAL CENSUS FOR NEW YORK, ONEIDA CO., Town of ROME, in the city of Rome. JANUARY 5, 1920, Supv. Dist. No. 14, Enum. Dist. No. 92, Ward No. 14.
More About HATTIE WIESMORE:
Endnotes [for above statements]:
1. George Wiesmore's
Civil War Army and Pension Records.
Back to Oswego Military Page
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 James H. Weismore - All Rights Reserved
Perkins & Dianne Thomas