Source: Landmarks of Oswego County New York, edited by John C. Churchill, L.L.D., assisted by H. Perry Smith & W. Stanley Child, Syracuse, N.Y., D. Mason & Company Publishers, 1895. Part III. These names are not in alphabetical order and are transcribed as in the book.
Most of us do not live in Oswego County and are unable to do any research on your ancestors. For more information on any of the families, please contact the local
Page 1 - 50
ADAMS, William, was born in Canada in l845, and when five years old came with his parents. William and Hannah (English) Adams (who were natives of Massachusetts and England respectively) to Mexico. In l861 our subject enlisted in Co. B. 81st N. V. Vols., serving three years. In 1866 he engaged in the manufacture of shingles and heading, which business he learned from his father, and still follows the occupation. In 1865 he married Olive Newell. They have one daughter, Mrs. M. A. Barker, who conducts a book and variety store in Mexico in partnership with her father.
ALLEN, Cyrus F., of Colosse, was born in the town of Mexico in 183l. On reaching his majority he moved to Chicago, where he resided a couple of years. then pre-empted a quarter section of land near Fort Dodge in Iowa and remained on that two years. He then moved to St. Paul and engaged in railroad engineering several years, and returned to Chicago where he remained till the great fire there in 1871, when he came to Syracuse and lived there three or four years. He then returned to the old home at Colosse, and remained with his aged parents till during the remainder of their lives, where he still resides. He married at Chicago Mrs. Anna E. Hill, born Bleazard, who died in 1874. The parents Cyrus and Mary (Moorse) Allen, were married in Hastings in 1818, that being the native place, of Mrs. Allen and where Mr. Allen had moved from Massachusetts in 1816. They were born in 1796 and 1802 and died in 1889 and 1880 respectively.
AVERY, Charles A. was born in Hastings March 27, 1863 son of Russell H. of Onondaga county, born in l836, a prominent farmer who came to Hastings about l845 and died in July, 1889. He was a strong temperance advocate, was of great service to the church in Hastings and donated the site on which it is built; and was master of Hastings Grange at the time of his death, He was a brother of Judge Charles W. Avery of Phoenix. His wife is Louisa, daughter of Lyman Bush of Hastings, and is now residing on the homestead. Their children are Charles A., George H., Clayton D., and Clinton E. At the age of twenty Charles A. engaged as telegraph operator and station agent, and four years later accepted a position as postal clerk on the N. Y. C. R. R. which he filled very creditably four years under President Cleveland's administration. At his father's death he returned home and assumed charge of the farm of 150 acres. Clayton D. Avery is postmaster at Hastings, receiving his commission in July, 1893.
ALLEN, Orson F., born in Chenango county March 3, 1828, is a son of Josiah Allen, a farmer, born in Massachusetts in 1788. His wife was Lucy Corkings, born in 1797, and their children were Porter, Mary, Louisa, Royal D., Orson, Chauncey and Jane. Mr. Allen came to West Monroe in 1836, and died in 1845. His wife died in November, 1889, aged ninety-two. Subject began farming for himself when twenty-one which he followed until 1860, when he removed to Iowa taking his family with him. In 1850 he married Almedia L. (born in Herkimer, Herkimer county, in 1830), daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Oyer of West Monroe, natives of Herkimer county. Their children are Mrs. Florrine Seaman of Parish; Mrs. Elizabeth Seaman of Parish; Clinton D., Burton C., Fred 0., and Mrs. La Pearl McLymond of Parish. In 1801 Mr. Allen enlisted in the 4th Iowa Cavalry, but after ten months was discharged on account of disability. In 1862 he came to West Monroe. He is a member of the Grange, and is still living on the Oyer farm.
ALGER, Rufus, son of Abner and grandson of Abner, was born in Otsego county and came to Parish in 1849 and later to Amboy, where his father died in 1893. Mr. Alger married in 1865 Hannah, daughter of Moses Crim, and their children are: James N., Jessie N., Lizzie, Wallace D., Alonzo D. and Clark D. Mr. Alger is one of the leading farmers of Amboy.
ACTON, John E., was born in Ireland in 1856 and in 187l came to America, locating at Williamstown. In 1880 he married Kittie, daughter of Michael Hughes, and for fourteen years has been a farmer where he now resides. He has one son. James Leo, aged two years, and two daughters, Minnie, aged ten, and Nellie, aged twelve years.
ARMSTRONG, B. T., justice of the peace and clerk for the town of New Haven, was born in 1844 and came to the county in 1859. He resided in Oswego till 1862, enlisted that year in Co. I, 110th Regiment, served till the fall of 1863, and then located in New Haven. He has been justice of the peace since 1886, and clerk since l887 In 1865 he married Mary Bracy, and have a son, Ernest W.
ACKLEY, David P., was born July 20, 1814, in Schoharie county, son of John B. and Lydia A. (Bonfey) Ackley, was educated in Cobbleskill and Parish, came to Parish when fourteen years old, first engaged in teaming, then went into the mill business, then to cutting lumber. He also carried on a farm during this entire period. This farm had been cleared by Mr. Ackley, who is one of the oldest settlers in Parish. He was married in 1840 to Maria Crim, daughter of Phillip and Hannah Sobles of Herkimer, N.Y. They had eight children, two died and six are living, Lydia Ann, David Richards, Phillip Henry, Alice, Cordelia and Frank. Frank is the only one living at home. He conducts the farm for his father.
AMES, Homer, a native of Oswego county, began the manufacture of doors, sash and blinds at Mexico in 1870. In 1874 he added the manufacture of berry crates and baskets of which he is the most extensive manufacturer in the State. He has at present also a saw mill with shingle and planing attachments, and cuts about one million feet of lumber annually. He also puts up several thousand tons of ice annually and uses about 50,000 bushels of apples in the manufacture of cider and vinegar. He employs an average of ten hands and at times as many as twenty-five.
AVERY, Merwin, was born in the town of Parish in 1819 and married Mary Jane, daughter of John Becker, who is still living. They moved to Mexico in 1855. Their children are: Emma Velmer, wife of Edmund Potter of Mexico; they have one child, Cora Velmer. Hattie M., now wife of Rev. N. E. Jenkins of Clinton county; they have two children, Josie Emma, and Noah Avery. John, who married Hattie Jones, daughter of John E. Jones, and resides in Mexico; they have three children, Earl, Blanch and Belle. The parents of Merwin Avery were William and Jemima (Ford) Avery, natives of Connecticut, who were married in that State and, came to the town of Parish from Montgomery county in 1818.
BEARDSLEY, Alvaro A., was born in the town of Hastings in 1856, a son of Albert Beardsley, a native of Jefferson county, whose father was Charles Beardsley, a native of the same place, a carpenter by trade and later a Methodist preacher. He came to Hastings in 1854, where he and his wife spent their last days. Albert was a farmer who located in Hastings in 1854. His wife was Amelia Carter of Jefferson county, and their children were: Mrs. Alice Daffler of Syracuse, and Alvaro. Mrs. Beardsley now resides in Constantia. The subject was reared on a farm, but when sixteen years of age learned the wagonmaker's trade. Six years later he established himself in Constantia, where he has accumulated a large trade. Since 1893 he has dealt in furniture, he being the only dealer in this line in the village. Mr. Beardsley has served as town clerk and in other minor offices. In 1886 he married Maud E., daughter of Robert D. Black of Constantia, and they have two children: Ruth Elizabeth and Robert Douglas.
BLY, Lewis, was born in Rhode Island in January, 1814, son of Allen Bly of the same place, one of eight children of Benjamin Bly, a native of England and a farmer. Allen was also a farmer, and came to Hastings in 1830. His wife was Mary Underwood of Connecticut, and their children were: Lewis, Mary, Abigail, Lucy, Lovina, David and Nancy. When a young man Mr. Lewis engaged in the manufacture of lumber, later settled down to farming, and during the war re-engaged in the lumber business for seven years. In l839 he married Eunice, daughter of Peleg Marsh, of Constantia, by whom he had five children, as follows: Emeline, Anna Eliza, Ellen, Homer and Horace. In 1865 his wife died and in 1868 he married Susan, daughter of C. C. Lendon of Vermont, and widow of his brother David, who had one child, Tracy. The children by the last marriage are George and Sarah. Mr. Bly has served as poormaster.
BRECKHIMER, John, was born in Newark in April, 1854, son of John, a native of Germany, whose father was Peter Breckhimer, a farmer and prominent man in official capacities. John, sr., was one of five children, and a brewer by trade when in Germany. After coming to the United States in 1852 he followed the cooper trade some years. He was the only one of his family that came to America. His wife was Theresa Smeder, a native of Germany, and their children are Mrs. Catherine Funday, of Syracuse; Mrs. Louisa Deppold, of Syracuse; Mrs. Mary A. Gardner, of Syracuse; Peter, Leaines, Mrs. Emma Bigal, of Syracuse. The subject has devoted his life to farming, and now owns the homestead of his father and grandfather, and makes a specialty of breeding fine hogs. He served as inspector of election, is a member of Hastings Grange, and is postmaster of Little France at present. In 1880 he married Sarah, daughter of Frank and Kate Besonsaw, of West Monroe, and their children are Theodore William, born in 1881; Melvin, born in 1884; Clara, born in l887; George, born in 1888; and Emma, born in 1892.
BURRITT, Dewitt Clinton, was born October 22, 1816, a son of Israel and Fannie (Atwell) Burritt. The father died in July, 1825, aged sixty-four, and the mother died in l840, aged sixty-eight. Israel was a weaver by trade, which he followed in connection with farming. He was a native of Rhode Island, and came from Oneida county to Pennelville, this county, in 1820. In 1824 he removed to Battle Island, and engaged in the digging of the Oswego Canal. Of their eleven children only Dewitt C. survives. His occupation has been blacksmithing and farming, and he was one of the first settlers in this section of the county. Mr. Burritt's farm comprises fifty acres, and he also has a dairy of several cows. March 12, 1839, he married Avalina Moss, and they have one daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Carlon Smith Pritchard.
BONNEY, John W., of New York ancestry, was born in Oneida county, June 8, 1847. A son of Thomas, born in Oswego county, where he died, aged sixty-five. His wife was Lydia Sneck, born in Otsego county. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. Thomas Bonney and wife had these children: John W., our subject; Rhoda F.; George, and Frederick, of whom, Rhoda and George are deceased. John W. was educated in Albion, Oswego county, and is a farmer. He married March 25, 1871, Hattie, daughter of Jackson and Sophia (West)Lewis, of Orwell, Oswego county, and their children are Eugene E., George Addison, Frank T., and Claude L. Eugene married Idell Comstock, of Onondaga county, and has one child, Leta Gale Bonney. Eugene is a mechanic and lives in Pulaski; George Addison is a student in music. J. W. Bonney is a member of the Grange.
BROWN, F. A., was born in Jefferson county February 23, 1834, and came to New Haven, Oswego county, in 1843. In 1856 he married Ellen E., daughter of Mark Smith, of Mexico. In 865 he came to Scriba, where he has since lived. His principal occupation has been farming. They have two children: Laura E., wife of Frank J. Switzer, of Oswego Falls, and Harriette E., wife of Thomas O. Turner, of Scriba. Mr. Brown's father was Avery O. Brown, and his mother was Eliza W. Whitney.
BRACY, William H., was born in 1846, has always resided in New Haven, is a farmer, butcher and stock dealer, and married in 1866 Ladora M. Davis, by whom he has two children, Avis, now Mrs. Hawley, and Gordon. The father, William Bracy, was a blacksmith and died in l894 aged seventy-six. The mother Laura (Gile) Bracy, died January 22, 1870, aged forty-nine.
BATES, Dr. Nelson W., was born in Pamelia, Jefferson county, in July, 1828. He is a son of Dr. William S. Bates, who was born in Massachusetts in l793, son of William Bates, also of Massachusetts. Dr. William S. graduated from Fairfield Medical College. His wife was Jerusha Wright, and their children were Darwin E., William D., Mrs. Harriet A. Cottrell, Nelson W. and Cullen D. Nelson W. devoted some of his early life to teaching, in 1850 and 1851 attended the Buffalo Medical College, and in 1864, graduated from the Medical College of New York. He came to Hastings in 1851, and in 1853 came to Central Square, where has been a popular practicing physician ever since. From 1853 to 1857 he was superintendent of schools in Hastings. In 1864 he enlisted as assistant surgeon in the 110th N. Y. Vols., and served until after the close of the war; he was stationed at Fort Jefferson. In 1851 he married Sarah M. Angel of Jefferson county, and their children are Edgar D., D. D. S., in Central Square; Clayton A., merchant in Central Square, and Nellie F., wife of Dr. F. L. Harter of Syracuse. Mr. Bates is a member of the N. Y. State Medical Society and of the N.Y. State Medical Association, was County coroner several years, and is now president of the village, Central Square, serving his second term. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Central Square Lodge, of which he has been W. Master ten years; also of Oswego River Chapter R. A. M.; has been commander of G. A. R. Isaac Waterbury Post No. 4l8, for four years.
BEEBE, Henry E., was born in Hastings on the farm he now owns
in 1836, son of Jacob Beebe, who was born in England. The
grandfather, John Beebe, was a farmer. Jacob was one of six children,
came to the United States when eighteen years old and settled in Hastings,
where he spent the remainder of his life. His wife was Electa Snow,
and their children were: Oscar, Henry E.; Cornelia, Isabell, Mary and Nellie.
In l857 Henry E. went to California and engaged in mining. In 1861
he enlisted in Co. B, 3rd N. Y. Cav., served two and one-half years, re-enlisted
in another regiment in which he received another commission and served
until the close of the war. At the battle of the Wilderness he was taken
prisoner and confined ten months in the Macon, Savannah and Columbia prisons.
After the war he returned to the home stead of 200 acres, one-half of which
he purchased in 1883, where he has since resided. In 1864 he married Catharine
BUTLER, Charles H., was born October 19, 1829, a son of George S. and Cornelia (Warner) Butler, and a grandson of Richard Butler who was born in Albany and died in Hartford, Conn. George S. was also a native of Connecticut and died in Kentucky, and his wife died in Indiana at the age of sixty-nine. Charles H. was educated in the common schools, and at the age of fourteen began to learn the drug business in the store, which he now owns, the former proprietor being M. B. Edson. Mr. Butler assumed ownership in 1860 and has continued until the present time, doing now a large and prosperous business and having the largest prescription business in the county. He is trustee of the Oswego Savings Bank, and an Episcopalian. In 1860 he married Catherine, daughter of Mary (Ostrander) Slocum of Syracuse, and their children are Georgiana and Charles W., the latter living in Glendive, Mont., where he is a banker.
BONNER, Alden D., of English ancestry, was born, in this county September 26, 1835, a grandson of John C. of Oneida county, who died in Michigan. The father of Alden was Joseph M., born in Oneida county, who died at the age of seventy-seven. He married Dorcas Tripp, who died aged sixty-nine, and their children were Milford C., Alden D., Ethelinda I., Polly A., Emily L., Catharine A., and Ella T., all deceased except Erastus and subject. The latter was educated in the Belleville Academy in Jefferson county, and in 1863 enlisted in the 110th N. Y. Vols., serving in the Army of the Mississippi till the close of the war, after which he settled on a farm in Orwell. Here he remained till 1892, then moved to Richland where he now resides. May 10, 1860, he married Sabra A., daughter of Harvey D. and Mary D. (Sparks) Cushman, and their children are Roscoe C., and Ella L. deceased. Roscoe married Carrie J. Beman of Michigan. Mr. Bonner is a member of the G. A. R., and was assessor in the town of Orwell six years. The grandfather of Alden was a soldier in the War of 1812, and the great-grandfather served in the Revolution.
BUTCHER, Charles J., was born November 1, l855, son of George H. Butcher, who learned the trade of carpenter and joiner in England, and came to this country when twenty-one years of age. At this time William Butcher, the grandfather, also came and settled in North Litchfield, Herkimer county. George H. married Mary A. Jones, of New Hartford, Oneida county, and their children were George W., Ida, Edward J., Sarah, Herbert G. and Charles J. The family on the mother's side was originally from Wales. Charles J. has traveled extensively, but is now settled on a fine farm in the town of Palermo. He married in 1881 Libbie Jones, of Utica, by whom he had one child, Grace B. He has filled the office of school trustee for some time.
BRAZEAU, F., was born in Beauharnois, Province of Quebec, August 1, 1845. In 1861 he came to the United States and in December, 1863, he enlisted in Company L, N. Y. Cavalry, and served nearly two years. For over eleven months he was a prisoner and spent nearly all the time in Andersonville prison. In August, 1891, he married M. V. Burt, daughter of William Burt (deceased). Since the war Mr. Brazeau has followed farming with much success. He is interested with N. W. Nutting in orange groves in Florida, besides his farming interests in Scriba.
BARKER, Schuyler M., was born in Tompkins, now Schuyler county, in 1828, and came to New Haven with his parents in 1829. He was reared on a farm, and has followed civil engineering in connection with farming since 1863. He was justice of the peace twelve years, road commissioner six years and supervisor five years. In 1868 he married Lavinia E. Squires, by whom he has two children, Ida M., now Mrs. Loren J. Parsons, and Willard M. The father, Uzel M., died in 1879, aged eighty-seven, and the mother, Catherine Smith Barker, died in 1873, aged seventy.
BELL, Edwin, was born in Rensselaer county, April 24, 1822. For two years he was employed in Albany Cemetery; thence he went to Otsego county, where he had charge of a cemetery for sixteen years. In 1873 he came to Scriba, and took charge of the cemetery there, and has done much towards improving and beautifying the same. Mr. Bell has been married twice; his first wife was Albina C. Wetherwax, who died and left one son, Artemus T. His second wife was Hattie Long, who has borne one son, Edwin, jr. Mr. Bell's father was John and his mother Nancy Woodworth Bell; his grandfather was David Bell, from New England, whose weight was 377 pounds.
BENNETT, E. F., was born in Jerusalem, Yates county, October 14, 1853, a son of R. S. and Sara Bennett. He was educated in Parish (where his parents settled in the early days of the town) and in Weedsport Academy. When he left school he went to work on his father's farm, of which he is now the owner; contains one hundred acres mostly under collection. Mr. Bennett was deputy sheriff one term; he is a man of literary tastes, and has the largest library in the town.
BROCKETT, Timothy, was born in Jefferson county, February 10, 1842, son of Thomas and Abigail Brockett. He was educated in Mexico, and after leaving school worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-one. In 1862 his parents moved to Parish where he has since resided. Mr. Brockett has one of the largest farms in the town, consisting of 230 acres. He married in 1866 Charlotte Lyon, and has five children: Ira, Benjamin, John, Willard and Harrison. Mr. Brockett volunteered in the late Civil war and went to the front with the 184th N. Y. Vols., in June, 1864, and served till the close of the war. He was through the Shenandoah Valley with Sheridan and participated in numerous skirmishes.
BARBER, Henry ?., of New York ancestry, was born in Oswego county, March 22, 1857. The grandfather was Aaron, who died in Oswego county, aged eighty-two. His father, David, was born in Oswego county; his mother was Caroline George, born in Essex county, who reared two children, Hattie and Henry D. The latter was educated in Sandy Creek, and is a mason. He married, May 30, 1876, Ettie Dingman, who died in June, 1877, and second, July 12, 1881, Carrie, daughter of William and Martha (Edgar) Seamons, of Oswego county. Their children are Martin, born September 22, 1883; Mable, born March 5, 1888; and Hattie, born October 30, 1892, who died in November 3, 1893.
BABCOCK, George D., was born in Jefferson county in 1834. His parents. Joshua A. and Laura (Holmes) Babcock, were natives of Rhode Island and Vermont respectively, and died in Jefferson county. In 1861 George D. married Mrs. Mary E. Babcock, born O’Neill, a native of Seneca county. By trade, Mr. Babcock is a manufacturer and dealer in pumps; he came to Mexico in 1863, and was postmaster during Cleveland’s first term, and has since been in the State Forestry department (1892) and the dairy branch of the Agricultural department.
BROOKS, Delos E., was born in October, 1845, educated in the district schools of Orwell, and finished his studies in Pulaski Academy. After conducting a milk route in Pulaski nine years, he went with his family to California, spent one year, returned and formed a partnership with D. C. Dodge in the general merchandise business in Pulaski. On account of failing health he closed his business and bought a small farm north of the village, where he followed general farming for several years, and then began buying and shipping butter and eggs. He now conducts a grocery store in the village. February 23, 1870, in the town of Richland, he married Eliza M. Moody (born in Jefferson county, January 15, 1846, one of eleven children of H. C. N. Moody), who died in 1874. Their children were Edith M., born January 15, 1871, died May 25, 1885; Charles H., born March 15, 1876; Ethel E., born August 23, 1880; and Florence E., born September 3, 1883. Charles H. is at present engaged as clerk in his father’s store. The ancestry of the family is Scotch. The grandfather, Charles J., was born in Deerfield, Herkimer county, in 1804, and died in Fulton, Oswego county, August 25, 1870; he was justice of the peace eight years in Orwell. He married Fidelia Strong, born in Redfield in 1809, and died in Orwell in 1859. Their children were Charlotte M., Cordelia E., Adelaide A., Merribee C., Milfred C., Delos E., and Emma L.
BROWN, Charles Elliott, was born in 1838 in Clinton county, and came to Oswego county in 1868, locating on the place where he has since resided. In 1866 he married Temmy Stockwell, a native of Oswego county, and has one child, Benjamin B. Mr. Brown’s mother, Sophia, died in Clinton county in 1864 aged fifty-four. John his father, died in New Haven in 1868 aged sixty-seven.
BAKER, Howard F., was born in Oswego county, June 23, 1852. His grandfather was William, who was born in Connecticut, and died here, aged sixty-nine. His father was Francis W., also of Connecticut, who married Amerilla Z. Richardson in Vermont. They are the parents of Howard F., Clayton L., Coral C., William G., Francis W., was a soldier in the late war, is a member of the G. A. R., and has served as town collector; he is now seventy years of age and his wife is seventy-three. Howard F. was educated at Sandy Creek, and was engaged in the construction department of the R. W. & O. Railroad, and also in the sash and blind factory at Lacona where he remained ten years, when he opened a drug store which he still conducts, carrying a very complete stock. In 1871 he married Arabelle, daughter of Frederick and Lydia (Butterworth) Smith of Lacona, and they have one child, Nellie B., born in 1872, now the wife of Frank Hadley of Lacona and the mother of one child. Mrs. Arabelle Baker died April 25, 1873, and October 22, 1883, he married Alice L., daughter of Nathan and Ruth Davis. Nathan Davis died January 12, 1892, aged sixty years; Ruth is still living, aged sixty-two years.
CROSS, Henry, son of Richard and Tamizen (Hickok) Cross, was born in New Haven in 1836. In 1862 he married Cynthia, daughter of Albert and Lieuzette Davis, who were early settlers in New Haven. They have two children, Florence E., now Mrs. Ward Wright of Mexico; and Waldo R., of New Haven. The parents died in New Haven in 1885 aged eighty and in 1872 aged sixty-two respectively.
CROSS, A. J., a brother of Henry, was born in New Haven and has always lived on the old home place. In 1874 he married Adelia Russell, by whom he has had five children, three surviving.
CLAPP, Mrs. Abigail (Hyde), was born in Hastings in 1833, daughter of Chrstopher Hyde, a native of Franklin, Conn. His father was Uri, a shoemaker and tanner. Christopher was a shoemaker, and came to Hastings about 1827 and settled on the farm now owned by Mrs. Clapp. He was married three times, first to Love Backus, second to Hannah Gilbert, by whom he had four children, Erepta, Charles, Lucretia, and Roxana. His third wife was Betsey Webb, by whom he had three children: Jedson, Franklin and Abigail. He died in 1847, and his wife in 1869. In 1857 Abigail was married to Emory Clapp, who was born in Onondaga county in 1833. He was a son of Thomas and Almira (Rose) Clapp, and came to Hastings in 1848. He was a farmer and carpenter, and died in 1888. Their children are Edson, Jedson, Fred, Cornie, Herbert and Elma. Mrs. Clapp and her son Herbert conduct the farm. She is a member of Central Square Grange.
COON, Frank A., was born in Richland, and after working for some time in a store at Orwell and being one summer on the road with dry goods and groceries, he bought, in October, 1893, the store at Kasoag, where he now runs a general store. He married Lenora, daughter of Clark Austin. She was several years a teacher in the schools of Williamstown, being a successful teacher at the age of sixteen.
COPELAND, Leonard L., was born in the city of Oswego February 22, 1842, and lived there till twelve years of age. He then came to the farm where he now resides, but was in the grocery business three years during the war. In 1877 he married Cornelia M. Mullen, and they have two children, John Mack and Sarah M. Mr. Copeland’s father was Leonard, a native of Saratoga county, who came to Oswego in 1832 and was a leading dry goods merchant many years. He died in 1882. His mother was Maria (Mack). His brother, Lieutenant Amos M., was a soldier of the 81st Reg., N.Y. Vols., in the War of the Rebellion, and was killed at Chapin’s Farm.
COOK, Albert D., of Palermo, was born July 31, 1841, and is a son of George W. and Eunice (Dayton) Cook, the family having come originally from Canada. Albert D. is regarded as a first class farmer. In 1867 he married Arvilla, daughter of Michael and Esther Getman, of Herkimer county, and they have six children: Vernie C., Ethel May, Maud L., Florence G., Erwin G., and Roy Harold.
CARROLL, Nehemiah, was born in Herkimer county in 1828, a son of James, born in Massachusetts, whose father was James Carroll, who ran away from Ireland and came to America, and later met his death by a well caving in on him. James, the father of our subject, was a farmer in his younger days, later as a butcher and miller in Cleveland village. His wife was Almira Davis, and their children were Mrs. Sarah Fosdick of Cleveland; Nehemiah, Ezra, Henry, Martin, Jeremiah, Damel, James L.,Charles and Milon. He died in 1885 and his wife in 1876. Nehemiah left home at the age of twenty-two and began farming. In 1863 he came to Constantia and followed the butcher business in Cleveland. He purchased in 1873, in partnership with his father, a grist mill, which he conducted until his father’s death in 1885, when he retired from active business. In 1893 he came to Constantia village and purchased the grist mill of J. Carter & Sons, which he now conducts. In 1850 he married Almira Fosdick of Oneida county, and they had five children, all of whom died while young. His wife died in 1870, and in 1873 he married Adelia Aspell, who died in 1889. His third wife is Olive, daughter of George Morse of Cleveland, by whom he has one child, Ezra, born in February, 1891.
COLE, Clark W., was born in Winfield, Herkimer county, May 19, 1830, but moved to Richland March 20, 1835. The first known of the family is James Cole, of Plymouth, Mass., who was an old man in 1688, and his son Hugh, was born at Plymouth in 1627 and participated in the King Philip war. It is in print that the first Hugh Cole of Plymouth, Mass., gave to the Plymouth Colony the first warning of King Philip’s Indian march. Hugh Cole second’s sons were taken prisoner by the Indians, and when King Philip, who esteemed Hugh Cole, found out that they were his sons, he sent them back to their father free, with word to Hugh that he did not want to injure him in any way, but he feared that his young warriors would not obey him, and so he warned him to move to Rhode Island, which the latter speedily did; but before going far he discovered his house burning behind him. The father of this Hugh Cole was James Cole of Plymouth, an immigrant there; he owned the hill there still called Cole’s hill, where the early Pilgrims were buried the first winter of their settlement. The graves were smoothed off level and planted with wheat so that the Indians would not suspect the sad diminution of the Pilgrim band by death—one-half. He had a son Hugh, born in 1638, the latter had a son Hugh born in 1683 who also had a son Hugh, born in Swansea, Mass., in 1706, who moved to Rhode Island and had a son Richard. The latter’s son, Hezekiah, was appointed colonel by the governor of Rhode Island in the Provincial troops. The latter had a son, Emory, who was the father of our subject. Clark W. married, December 18, 1850, Caroline, daughter of Norman and Isabella (Austin) Root, of Otsego county. Her father was a soldier in the War of 1812. They have had these children, Ida M., Anna M., Martha S., Walter W., Emma C., Emory, Freeman S., and Norman R., of whom Martha is deceased. Ida married Benjamin Eggleston and lives in Iowa; Anna married Marion I. Whitney and resides in Chicago; Martha married Albert E. Garrett and is now deceased; Walter Wesley is a Presbyterian minister at Camden, N. Y., and married Floretta Graves; Emma married Hobart A. Stowell and resides in Syracuse; Emory, unmarried, is at home; Freeman resides in Mound City, Kansas, and married Lulu M. Thurman; Norman resides at home. The great grandfather, Richard Cole,was ensign in the Revolution.
CROSBY, Mrs., William H. was born in Little Falls, Herkimer county, daughter of Reuben and Mary A. Nash, who were among the earliest settlers in Little Falls. The family moved to Parish when subject was seven years of age. She was educated in Parish, and after leaving school married William H. Crosby, a native of Parish. Soon after her marriage they went to Missouri, where they lived until his death, December 28, 1891, when she returned to Parish, and where she has since resided.
COX, Thomas, was born in Ireland December 25, 1842, a son of Daniel and Ellen Cox, natives of Ireland, where Mr. Cox died, and Mrs. Cox came to Oswego county in 1845, where she died March 23, 1893. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and was learning the harness trade with M. M. Tucker in Sandy Creek when the war broke out in 1861; he enlisted in Co. G, 24th N. Y. Vols., was in eleven hard-fought battles, one seven days at Chancellorsville. At the end of two years service he re-enlisted in Co. I, 20th N. Y. Cavalry, for three years. At the close of the war he commenced railroading and was for twenty years an engineer on the R. W. and O. Railroad. In 1890 he moved on a farm which be bought in 1875, consisting of sixty- seven acres, and now follows general farming. He married, in December, 1868, May, daughter of Henry Chango, one of the early settlers of Sandy Creek. Subject and wife have one child, Genevieve, wife of C. W. Lindsey, a railroad engineer of Oswego.
CANDEE Charles W., was born in Volney in 1817 son of Brazil and Huldah (Wilson) Candee, native's, of Connecticut who moved to Volney in 1817, and to Phoenix in 1837. He died in Onondaga county in 1862, aged seventy-two, and she in Phoenix in 1877, aged eighty-five. Charles W. was the oldest of eight children. He married, in 1847, Huldah Ann Marsh, a native of Connecticut, who died in 1893. He has three children Mary A., wife of Judson W. Loomis; Charles E., both of Phoenix; and Huldah A., wife of F. W. Lyons of Jersey City, N. J. Mr. Candee was in 1864 elected supervisor and was chairman of the war committee during the war and held the offices of commissioner, overseer, of poor, etc., for several terms. He was called by Judge Tyler to assist him in the drawing of the draft, which was the most interesting day that Oswego ever saw. Mr. Candee has been a resident of Schroeppel since 1837, and has always voted the Republican ticket.
CARLEY, William, was born in Otsego county October 28, 1815, son of George L. and Annie (Bonestell) Carley, who settled in Hastings, this county, in May, 1823, George L. was a farmer and mill owner of Oswego county, his farm consisted of 400 acres which he conducted up to the time of his death, operating the mill at the same time. Our subject began work at the age of ten on the farm. After working for his father some years he started for himself, but being ambitious overworked himself and sustained an injury to his back, which was the occasion of his becoming a merchant. After selling goods from a wagon a few years, he located in a store in Hastings in 1850, removed to Parish in 1860, where he has secured a large trade. In addition to his mercantile business he owns and conducts two farms, built the Carley House and owns several of the best stores in the village. He married, December 1, 1839, Maria Wightman of Parish, whose parents, Humphrey and Eunice Wightman, settled in Parish in February, 1805, and were among the earliest settlers. Mr. Carley, although only lacking one year of eighty, is as hale and hearty as a man of fifty.
COAN, Albert H., was born February 21, 1834, in Parish on the homestead where he now resides, son of Milo and Elizabeth (Mabie) Coan. Milo cut the first tree ever cut on his place, and built a log cabin where he lived for years, and where Albert H. was born and lived till he was eighteen years old. The latter was educated in Parish, built a shop on his father's farm, and went to coopering, also assisted in conducting the farm until his father's death. Mr. Coan owned a part of what now constitutes his present farm, which he acquired through his own exertions during his father's life, and at his death was increased by his father's holdings. Mr. Coan's farm consists of about three hundred acres in a fine state of cultivation. He has a large orchard to which he added three hundred and fifty pear trees last spring. This is one of the largest and best farms in the county. He married Mary Wing in 1874. He has one adopted son, William F.
CLARK, Henry L., was born December 8, 1854, a grandson of Silas and Rebekah Clark (born in New England in the year 1772, who died in Richland, in November 18, 1828, aged fifty-six years, and she January 2, 1851, aged seventy-eight years, nine months), and a son of Lewis C., born in Vernon, Oneida county, N.Y., November 4, 1803, who removed to Richland in the fall of 1822 on the farm now owned by Henry L., where he lived to the time of his death, March 20, 1872, aged sixty-eight years, four months. The latter married Harriet Brace of Pennsylvania October 2, 1826, who died November 18, 1847, aged forty-three years. Their children were Sarah J., Clarisa A., Harriet L., Dolly A., Elmira M., Mary E., Olin S., Helen A., John W. He afterwards married Esther E. Easton, of Richland, August 20, 1848, who died March 14, 1861, aged forty-four years. Their children were Lois E. and Henry L., all deceased except Olin and Henry. He married Julia A. Brown, of Fulton, May 27, 1862, who now survives. He served as assessor and highway commissioner. This family was one of the first to settle in Richland and the original farm is the one now owned by Henry L. The latter was educated in Richland and Pulaski Academies, taught school in Oswego county four years terms, then settled on the homestead, where he has since remained. June 26, 1876, he married Flora A. Trumbull, daughter of Hiram N. and Mary E. Trumbull of Sandy Creek. They had these children: Mary E., born September 12, 1877; H. Lewis, born August 24, 1879; Edwin E., born July 6, 1881; Herbert S., born June 30, 1886; Clayton F., born July 28, 1889; Norman L., born August 25, 1891. Of these children, H. Lewis died July 20, 1830(?). The father of Henry L. was an active member of the Methodist Church and held the position of trustee for many years, up to the time of his death.
CALKINS, Rufus P., farmer and stock dealer of Mexico, is a son of Russell and Parmelia (Price) Calkins. His father, was a native of Vermont, born in 1797, emigrated to Canada with his parents, and at the breaking out of the war of 1812 had their property confiscated because of a refusal to serve in the British army, and came to the United States and located in Oneida county. Russell came to Oswego county' in 1815 to the town of Richland, and was followed a few years later by his father, Salmon. He was married here, and his wife died in 1888. He died in 1893. They had eleven children, ten now living. He was deputy sheriff two terms and high sheriff one term. Rufus P. was born in 1827, reared in Richland and always resided in Oswego county. He has been a farmer and stock dealer all his life. He served as supervisor in 1891, and has been president of the Oswego County Agricultural Society two terms. In 1857 he married Jeanette L. Thomas, who died in 1891, and he afterward married Mattie Ross.
CAME, Henry, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1834, son of George, one of thirteen children of William Came. George came to the United States with his family in 1850, came to Hastings in 1852, and purchased the farm where Henry now resides. His wife was Jane Herse, and they reared seven children: Abel, Henry, Emma, George, Charlotte, Maria and William. Henry has always remained on the homestead. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. H, 149th N. Y. Inft. and served sixteen months, when he was discharged on account of disability. While in the hospital he rendered great service by assisting in the care of the wounded. He has been three times married, first in 1865, to Electa Keller of Central Square; in 1872, to Charlotte White of Germany, by whom he had one child, Charles; in 1885 he married Mrs. Emma V. (Bowman) Scofield, who had one daughter, Georgia. Mr. Came is a member of the William Pullen G. A. R. Post of Brewerton.
CONVERSE, Aristide V., was born in Oswego February 15, 1858. His father, Virgil, was born in France and is still living, aged seventy. His mother was Emelie Menegay, born in France, who died in Oswego, November 26, 1861, aged twenty-six. Subject was educated at Oswego, and when twenty years of age commenced learning the blacksmith's trade. Previous to this he had clerked in the grocery store three years and worked for his father. From 1881 to 1891 he carried on business for himself in East First street; he then formed a partnership with G. D. McCarthy at 106 West Second street, which still continues. Mr. Converse is a member of the Catholic church.
COBLE, John A., a prosperous young man, was born in Jamesville, Onondaga county, December 12, 1855, son of John E. and Catherine (Shuler) Coble, natives of Strausburg, Germany. His father started him on a farm for himself at the age of twenty-one; since then has added to it, and now he owns 250 acres, making a specialty of hay and tobacco. He also deals extensively in cattle and horses. In 1879 he married Catherine, daughter of John Roller of Syracuse, and their children are Aggie, Minnie, Charles, and Kittie.
CLARK, Daniel Gould, Palermo, was born March 19, 1849, son of A. G. Clark, born in 1821 and grandson of Harvey Clark, an old pioneer of Jefferson county. A. G. Clark is still living, aged seventy-five. He married Elizabeth Keller, who was born in Palermo October 8, 1824, and is still living, aged seventy years. Their children were Emma and Adell (deceased); Hollister and Daniel G. The latter took up farming, in which he has been very successful. He married April 28, 1869, Delight Scudder, and their children are Clarence and Cady. He is a member of the Grange.
COVILLE, Nathan Wallace, was born in Hastings October 11, l849, son of Nelson Coville of Onondaga county, who came to Hastings about l840. His wife was Annis Sabins, and their children were Luther, Francis, Edgar, Frank, Oscar, Myron, Hiram, Celestia, George and Nathan W. At the age of seventeen Nathan W went to Bay City, Mich., where he worked at the cooper's trade seven years. From 1840 to 1888 he resided in Onondaga county, since which time he has lived in Hastings on a farm. In 1870 he married Mary, daughter of Lyman and Phoebe (Rowland) Morgan, born in Clay, Onondaga county. Her grandfather was Rev. Abram Morgan, who built the Morgan church in Clay, and was the pioneer there in l800. He was a son of the Morgan of Revolutionary fame.
CLARK, Benjamin, was born in Pittsburg, Canada, in 1818, son of Henry Clark, one of five sons of John P. Clark of Mohawk Valley, who was a farmer and later moved to Canada with his family. Henry was also a farmer. His wife was Pearl Curl, and children are Henry, John, Charles, Robert, Benjamin, Matthew, William, Peggy, Hetta and Betsey, all of whom are now living. Benjamin began for himself at the age of sixteen by working in the lumber woods; from twenty to twenty-five was a sailor on the lakes since which time he has been engaged in farming. In 1853 he came to Hastings and purchased the farm of sixty acres where he now resides. In 1848 he married Mary Ann Shepard of Canada, and their children are George, Matthew, John, William, Charles, Lewis, Clark, Mrs. Elizabeth Bell, Mrs. Margaret Donahue, Mrs. Eliza Vickery, Mrs. Mary Cory, Mrs. Sarah Farrar, Mrs. Clara Fidler.
CLELLAND, John S., was born in Scotland in 184l, coming to Amboy with his father, James, who settled on the farm where John S. now resides, and was a farmer. Mr. Clelland is one of the leading men of Amboy, having been supervisor several years and for more than twenty years justice. He married first Sarah Grinnell, who died leaving five children, two of whom are James L, and John E. He married second Lydia J., sister of his first wife.
CONTERMAN, William, was born in Minden, Montgomery county, May 12, l831, the youngest son of John A., a native of the same place. The father of William was a descendant of the original Hollanders who settled in Amsterdam; he served in the war of 1812, and the musket carried by him is now in the possession of William. He to came Constantia to live in l836. His wife was Margaret Welgermot, and their children were Maria, Betsey, Katie, Adam, Margaret, Abram, Rosanna and William. William remained at home till twenty-one, then followed coopering for several years, when he and his brother purchased the homestead. He later purchased his brother's interest, and since then has lived in the old homestead and devoted his time to farming. He served as collector and postmaster several years, and has been president of the West Monroe Cemetery over twenty years. In 1856 he married Hannah, daughter of Rev. S. W. Leonard of West Monroe, who deserves some mention in the early history of the town. Rev. S. W. Leonard was born in Shrewsbury, Vermont, in the year 1800; was educated at Williams College and entered the Presbyterian ministry when young. He came into West Monroe as a missionary, was one of the earliest settlers and founded and erected the Presbyterian church at Whig Hill. He also instituted the first Presbyterian church at Constantia, and dedicated the first Presbyterian church at Cleveland. He spent a long and useful life in his pastoral work and died in the spring of 1886 at the residence of his daughter Hannah. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and at the time of his death was the oldest mason in the county. He was the father of three children, Hannah, Ellen, and Dr. H. W. Leonard of Camden, N.Y. William Conterman was the father of five children, Margaret E., who died at the age of three years; Dr. William H., of Cleveland, N.Y., Edwin T., of Central Square, Ellen and Arthur. Mr. Conterman has provided his children with a liberal education. Mrs. Conterman died in 1890.
COLE, Willis H., was born in this county September 19, 1839,
of Vermont ancestry. His grandfather was Obediah, who died, aged seventy-six
years. His father, William, born in Jefferson county, married Hannah Ward,
and died aged seventy-six years. Their children were James W., Willis
H., Harrison, Harriet, Lyman, Judson and Julius (twins), Eva L., Louis.
Of these, Julius, Eva and Louis are deceased. The grandfather was a soldier
in the war of 1812. Subject was educated in Pulaski Academy and in 1861
enlisted in the 50th N. Y. Engineers, serving till February 18, l864, when
he re-enlisted and served till the close of the war. He was honorably discharged
June 13, 1865. He was promoted corporal and served in the Army of
the Potomac, through the Peninsular campaign, and also the Seven Days retreat,
etc. He was at Appomattox at the final surrender of Lee. After the
war he went to Michigan and engaged in lumbering. He married in l870
Bricca A., daughter of William and Pamelia (Reynolds) Flitcroft.
Mrs. Cole died March 31, 1892. Their children
CASTOR, George L., was born in Jefferson county May 10, 1850, a grandson of Ira, who died in that county, aged eighty years. His father was Sherman G., who died in Oswego county, aged fifty-two, and his mother was Esther Washburn, a native of Jefferson county, who died here, aged forty-nine. Their children were Laverney, George L., Henry, Martha, Edgar and Laura, all living. The father was a lumber dealer by occupation. George L.was educated in the common schools and first engaged in the lumber business, then began cheese making, which he has since followed, he started the Castor Cheese Factory in 1884, which he still owns and conducts, and which is one of the leading factories of the county. The annual output is, about 180,000 pounds of cheese, and about 30,000 pounds of butter. He is also one of the leading manufacturers of what is known as the Chedder Cheese. November 1, l871, he married Lizzie Salisbury of Orwell, N. Y., daughter of Truman and Elizabeth Salisbury. They have three children: Maud C., Jay S., and Lois E., all living at home, Jay being engaged in the factory.
DIMON, Dr. Russell J., was born in Hastings, on the farm he now owns in 1852, son of John, born in 1804, whose father was Justus Dimon, a native of Fairfield, Conn. John followed cabinet making and farming, and came to Hastings in 1839, where he died in 1894. His wife was Polly M. North, and their children were Justus, Harvey P., and Russell. Dr. Russell J. was reared on a farm, educated in the State University and Albany Medical College, from which he graduated in 1883, since which time he has been a practicing physician in Hastings. He is a member of the Oswego county Medical Society and Central N.Y. Medical Association. In 1874 he married Allie M., daughter of Horatio Orvis of Sandy Creek, who was a soldier in the late war. They have one child, Edith N.
DAIN, John F., was born in Germany January 2, 1843, and came to Oswego in 1846. He was educated in Syracuse and worked in a factory two years, then learned the upholstery trade, at which he worked seven years. He next opened a furniture store in Oswego which he conducted eight years, then sold out and started the undertaking business in 1872, which is the leading concern of the kind in the county. They carry a full stock of everything in that line and manufacture a large portion of their own goods, keeping two hearses, as well as many carriages and horses. They also do more, or less livery business. Mr. Dain is a graduate of the Kalamazoo School in Embalming. He is a member of St. Peter’s Church. In 1864 he married Margaret, daughter of Nicholas and Mary Bookman of Syracuse, and they have four children: John F., born November 25, 1865, who is in business with his father; Alice L., Charles L., and Agnes S.
DAVEY, Reuben Slayton, D.D.S., was born in Parish August 22, 1862, son of Franklin A. and Amanda Davey. He was educated in Rochester and Philadelphia, and graduated at the Philadelphia Dental College in 1891. He then began the practice of dentistry in Parish, where he built up a large practice, having established the reputation among his townsmen, of being one of the best and most successful dentists in the county. He married in 1891 Sarah C. Cleveland.
DAVEY, Henry A., was born May 16, 1821, in Middlefield, Otsego
county, N.Y., son of Henry and Elizabeth (Hoke) Davey.
His parents moved to Albion in 1830, and cleared a farm in that township.
Both lived to be eighty-eight years old. Henry A. was educated in
Albion, and moved to Parish when twenty-two years old, helped his father
to clear 200 acres of land, then ran a farm of his own till 1869, when
he sold out, and since has resided in the village. He is street commissioner
and has served in that capacity seven years altogether. He has also
been town assessor for two terms of three years each. He married,
in 1842, Lucy Fyler of Parish. She died August 7, 1880.
They had four children, two of whom died in infancy, and two are living:
Winfield F., who is a farmer and lives in Cicero, Onondaga county, and
one daughter, Atlanta M., who married Septimus House, and lives
in Mexico. Mr. Davey married, second, Miss A. E. Coan.
Copyright © 2000, 2001