FAMILY SKETCHES Pt 3
Many thanks to Dianne Thomas, Town Editor of Volney, for volunteering to transcribe these many pages of Family Sketches from Oswego Co. These names are not in alphabetical order and are transcribed as in the book.
Source: Landmarks of Oswego County New York, edited by John C. Churchill, L.L.D., assisted by H. Perry Smith & W. Stanley Child, Syracuse, N.Y., D. Mason & Company Publishers, 1895. Part III.
Most of us do not live in Oswego County and are unable to do any research on your ancestors. For more information on any of the families, please contact the local Town Historian, or Historical Societies.
WOODRUFF, John H., of English ancestry, was born in Oswego county August 26, 1857, a grandson of Aphek of Connecticut, WHO DIED IN Salt Lake City aged eighty-two. The father of our subject is Thompson, born in Connecticut, who died in Daysville, aged eighty-nine. He married Electra NELSON of Vermont, who died in Daysville, aged seventy. Their children were Eliza A., born in 1840; Julia A., born in 1844; John D., born in 1846; Althea E., born in 1849; Almon M., born in 1850, Harriet E., born in 1853; Ellen M., born in 1855; John H.; William T., born in 1859, of whom Eliza, Julius, John D. and Ellen, are deceased. This family was the owner of the Woodruff Mills, the first in the country. Wilford WOODRUFF of Mormon fame, the present head of the Mormon Church at Salt Lake City, is an uncle of John H. John was educated in the common schools and began on the railroad, working for the R.W. & O.R.R. eight years, then engaged in shipping hay to eastern market. He next went west and for about a year engaged in mining, then started farming, etc. May 15, 1883, he married a daughter of Walter and Elizabeth (NIXON) GILCHRIST of St. Lawrence county, both natives of Ireland. Their children are Earl G., Fred N., Wilford T. and one who died in infancy. John H. Woodruff is now an Evangelist and has been for the last two years.
WILLIAMS, John M., of English ancestry, was born in that county February 3, 1841. His father, Benjamin, also a native of England, who died in this county, aged seventy-one. He married Elizabeth MOORE of England, who died in this county aged forty-five and their children were Benjamin, Elizabeth, Esther A., John M. and Elizabeth 2d. Both the Elizabeths died in childhood. The father was a printer and came to America in 1849, settling in Richland on a farm, but later moving to Kentucky. Our subject was educated in the common schools and in May 1861, enlisted in the 1st Kentucky Vols., serving in the armies of Ohio and Cumberland. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Chicamaugua and Stone River. He was a non-commissioned officer and color bearer. In 1864 he enlisted in the 184th NY Vols. And served until the close of the war. He is a member of the G.A.R. and also a Mason and Granger, and has held many local offices. September 28, 1865, he married Harriet, daughter of Joel STEWART of Oswego county, who died in 1867, and in 1869 he married, second, Anna M., daughter of Michael DOYLE of Oneida county. His children are Harriet, who married Clayton HILL and has one child, and Mary E., who married James. E. ACKER.
WILSON, Morris S., of Scotch ancestry, was born in Jefferson county, October 21, 1836, a grandson of Abner of Vermont, and a son of Almarin, who died in Jefferson county aged seventy-eight. He married Caroline PECK, who died aged eighty-two, and their children were Frances, Morris S., Harriet, Henry (deceased), who died in childhood. The grandfather served in the War of 1812. Morris was educated in Jefferson county and was a Granger. September 4, 1867, he married Helen, daughter of Ashbel and Lydia (GOFF) WHEELER. She died July 17, 1876, leaving these children: Bruce, Carrie and Henry. February 7, 1878, Mr. Wilson married, second, Lucy, a sister of his first wife, and they have one child, Laura. Mrs. Wilson's great grandfather was a captain in the Revolution. Her grandfather Wheeler was one of the first settlers in Onondaga county. The grandmother, Mrs. Wheeler, resides with our subject at the age of eighty-two.
WILLIS, Russell G., was born in Constantia in 1838, a son of Wendell WILLIS, who came from Cape Cod, and was of English descent. Wendell married Sarah GIBBS of Plymouth, and came to Vernon, Oneida county, where he settled on a farm. In 1836 he came to Constantia, cutting his way through the forest to the northern part of the town, where he built a log cabin, cut out a farm in the woods, and reared a family of eight children, dying there in 1876. His children are all living. Of the four sons, one resides in Michigan, one in Canastota, one in Cicero; and Russell, the youngest, in Constantia. One daughter is living in Minnesota, one in Michigan, one in Cleveland and one in Bernhard's Bay. In September 1862, Russell enlisted in the 147th N.Y. Infantry, being under fire for the first time at Chancellorsville. He was in the fight at Gettysburg and was shot through the arm, his being the first blood shed in his company, which suffered terribly before the battle was over. Willis was taken prisoner, but a few days later was paroled, and sent to Washington, where he served on provost duty till the close of the war, and acted as guard at the grand review. During the raid of General Early into Maryland, he was ordered out with the guard, and was in a skirmish, which came near being his last - a bullet cut a hole through his cap. He was honorably discharged in June 1865, and came home. He married Harriet, daughter of Joshua HALL of Constantia, and has three children: Wendell, born in 1869, Eldredge born in 1878; and Addis, born in 1876. Mr. Willis has a farm of 280 acres and a comfortable home. He has in his possession a piece of the curtain from the box in which Lincoln was assassinated.
WOODS, Gilbert Allen, was born in Richland, July 5, 1813. His grandfather, Koffrel WOODS, born in Belfast, Ireland, about the year 1745, was a linen and cloth manufacturer. He married an English lady and came to America with Burgoyne's army, his wife and family following later. John, the oldest son and father of Gilbert Allen, married at Paulet, Vt., Sarah WAITE, and moved to Richland about the year 1806, being among the first settlers of this section. During the War of 1812-14, he was engaged in furnishing and moving supplies for the armies at Oswego and Sackett's Harbor and intermediate points and being a man of great energy and force rendered valuable assistance. He had a family of eleven children, ten sons and one daughter; all but one of these were living when he died. Gilbert A., subject of sketch, was the fifth son and born on the farm where he now resides. He was educated in the common schools of the village of Pulaski, after which for many years he was engaged in dairying in connection with manufacturing and many other enterprises in the village of Pulaski, among them wagon and carriage manufacturing, milling, linseed oil manufacturing and others. He was on the originators, owners, and builders of the Syracuse Northern Plank Road, was for many years president of the Pulaski Bank, is a member of the congregational Church, and has been one of its most liberal supporters for the past sixty years. For may years he was on the Board of Education of Pulaski, has been highway commissioner and president of the village. He still resides on and manages the farm on which he was born more than eighty-one years ago. May 11, 1837, he married Martha Williams CHEESEBROUGH, daughter of Henry and Sarah (WILLIAMS) CHEESBROUGH, formerly of Stonington, Conn. She is a lady of high culture, was graduated from the best schools of that day, and unselfish helper in all good works. Her ancestry goes back for seven generations in an unbroken record to William Cheesebrough, who came over from Boston England, with Governor Winthrop to Boston, Mass., in 1630. Her grandfather was a colonel in the Revolutionary War and her father an adjutant in the War of 1812. She is a member of the Congregational Church. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Woods, are William C., Henry G., Caroline E., Sarah E., Phoebe E., John G., Edwin W., Allen E., Charles C., of whom William Allen and Edwin are deceased. Henry G., is a merchant of Halifax, Nova Scotia; Caroline E., married William H. BENTLEY of Pulaski, N.Y.; Phoebe E. married Horace A. KNIGHT of Auburn, N.Y.; John C., is a merchant of Hamilton, Ont.; Charles C., a merchant at London, Ont.; Sarah E. resides with her parents at the homestead.
WRIGHT, Albert, of English ancestry, was born in Adams, July 31, 1837, a grandson of Elijah of Massachusetts, who died in Adams aged seventy-five; and a son of Lyman, born in Adams, who died in Albion, aged seventy-five. He married Olive EMMONS, born in Maine, who died in Albion aged seventy-two, and their children were George W., Harvey C., Orlando, Albert, Almina, Monroe, Adaline, Helen, Lucelia, Charles, of whom Adaline and Lucelia are deceased. The father was a carpenter and joiner, and a great temperance lecturer. The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812. Or subject was educated in Adams and in 1850 went to California, whence he returned in less than two years, and at the age of sixteen he started for the gold fields of Australia. At the end of a year he went from there to California a second time. While there he started with Walker on the now historical Nicaragua filibustering expedition, assisting in the overthrow of the Nicaragua government when Walker was made president. After about two years he returned home and in 1863 married Elvira L. BURR of Leslie, Mich., a daughter of Louisa (EMMONS) BURR. Her grandfather served in the War of 1812. Their children were Frank L., Mabel E., Albert W., all of whom are living. Frank married Maude E. HITTER and has one child. He resides in Oswego and is a railroad conductor; Mabel married James G. HALLORAN and lives at Oswego; Albert W. resides at home. Mr. Wright is the proprietor of the Richland Hotel.
TRUMBULL, John S., of English ancestry, was born in Oswego county July 16,1863. His grandfather, Simeon, was born in Jay, Essex county, and died in Oswego, aged eighty years. His father, David, was also born in Jay, and died in Richland, April 29, 1889, aged sixty-eight. His first wife was Charlotte L. DEPEW, whom he married January 1, 1850, and by whom he had two children, Julia A., born in Richland, January 18, 1853 and Aaron B., born in Richland, August 20, 1854. Charlotte L. died in Richland April 28, 1861. May 21, 1862, he married in Richland, Sarah WIDRIG; she was born in Schuyler, Herkimer county, January 31, 1823. By her he had one son, John S., who was born in Richland July 16, 1863. The latter married Martha, daughter of Frank and Lucy MONTANDO, June 20, 1883; she was born at Evan's Mills, Jefferson county, April 12, 1886. Their children are John A., born in Richland June 26, 1886, and Carl R., born in Richland April 7, 1800. The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was one of the pioneers of Oswego county. John S. Trumbell is a dairy farmer on the farm settled by his father.
VEEDER, Barney W., was born in West Monroe in April 1839. He spent his boyhood in West Monroe with his parents, farming and making salt barrels. He is a son of Barney VEEDER of Camillus, Onondaga county, born in 1810, a son of Robert, a native of Schnectady, who was born in 1780, and was in the War of 1812. He was the son of Simon B. VEEDER, born in 1758, son of Brant VEEDER of Holland ancestry. Barney Veeder was a school teacher in his younger days, and served as justice a number of years, constable, collector, inspector, etc. His wife was Sally A., MITCHELL, a native of Schoharie county, born in 1812, and their children were Mrs. Caroline M. PIERCE of Hastings, Mrs. Fanny M. CARLEY; Barney W.,;Mrs. Sally A. HAYDEN of Hastings; Robert N. of South Dakota, Mrs Jane VANGUILDER of Skaneateles, Lorancy Howe of Chicago, Ill., James R. of South Dakota, and Minnie KLING of California. In April 1861, Barney enlisted in Co. D., 24th N.Y. Vols., and carried the first flag that was taken from this part of the county. He mustered in at Elmira, thence went to Washington where they were stationed during the first battle of Bull Run, and thence to Bailey's Cross Roads. Some of the battles in which he participated were Sulphur Springs, Rappahonock Station, Gainsville, Warrenton Junction, Second Bull Run, where he was doing orderly sergeant duty, and was severely wounded, laying on the battlefield where he fell several days without food or help, when he was exchanged and transferred to the Carver Hospital at Washington where he lay eight months. He was discharged and returned home in May 1863. He volunteered his services in Fort Ontario, where he was engaged to issue equipment to drafted and substitute soldiers in the fall of 1863. In January 1864, he went to Washington and engaged in the restaurant business, returning the same year to Hastings, since which time he as been engaged in farming and dealing in live stock and produce. In April 1893, he was appointed gate-keeper at the Columbian Exposition at Chicago, since which time he has resided at Central Square. He has served as commissioner of highways, overseer of the poor nine years, and constable. In 1865 he married Sarah E., daughter of James G. and Eliza CALDWELL and sister of Dr. H.W. Caldwell of Pulaski, and their children are Dr. Melzar B., and Mrs. Carrie E., wife of Oscar E. TUCKER. Mrs. Veeder died in November 1891,aged forty-seven; she was a member of the M.E. church, a school teacher and devoted to Sunday school work. Mr. Veeder is a prominent member of the M.E. church at Central Square, of which he is trustee and steward, and has been Sunday school superintendent nine years. He is also trustee of the Central Square Cemetery and is sergeant major of Waterbury Post, G.A.R. and assistant steward in Central Square Grange. In November 1892, he married Minnie LEWIS of Hastings.
SHELDON, J.C.F., was born in Ellisburg, Jefferson county, May 15, 1857, a son of William and Sarah M. (CORNWELL) SHELDON, both natives of Ellisburg. The grandparents were Amasa and Jane (ELLIS) SHELDON, pioneers of Ellisburg and the grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812. When a young man, William followed sailing on the ocean for five years, but later became a farmer; he was also a soldier in the Mexican war. He died July 17, 1870, his wife dying March 18, 1864. J.C.F. Sheldon was educated in the Union Academy at Belleville, Jefferson county and Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie. He taught school about seven years and was married December 26, 1883, to Effie H., daughter of Henry and Lestine (LINDSEY) DAILEY of Ellisburg. She was born February 16, 1866, and is a graduate of Sandy Creek Union High School. They have two sons, Claude Kenneth, born November 7, 1886, and Earl Heston Dailey born September 4, 1890. Mr. Sheldon has 107 acres of land, situated in the northwestern part of town of Sandy Creek, and generally known as the "Lindsey Hotel farm". He keeps about twenty cows and carries on general farming.
SKINNER, the late Hon. Avery, was born in New Hampshire in 1796, and died at Union Square, Oswego county, November 24, 1876. He was the father of Hon. Timothy W. Skinner, of Mexico, N.Y; Hon. Charles R. Skinner of Watertown, N.Y.; Rev. J.A. Skinner and Mrs. Mary G. WRIGHT, wife of Judge Maurice L. WRIGHT of Oswego, N.Y., all of whom survive him; and of Mr. Albert F. Skinner and Mrs. E.H. RICHARDSON, now deceased. Judge Skinner was one of the pioneers of Northern New York and was prominently identified with the history of Oswego county. He settled in Union Square in 1822, and was soon after appointed postmaster by President Adams and retained the position until his decease. He was for fifteen years associated judge of the County Court, was county treasurer sixteen years, and elected to the Assembly in 1831 and re-elected in 1832. From 1838 to 1842 he represented his district in the State Senate. In politics Judge Skinner was a Democrat, and was intimately associated with Silas Wright, Gen. John A. Dix, Martin Van Buren, and other leaders of the party. For many years he was a member of the Board of Trustees of Mexico Academy and at the semi-centennial of that institution was the only surviving member of the original board. Judge Skinner was also a director of the Syracuse Northern Railroad. His son, Timothy W., was born in Mexico in 1827, admitted to the bar in Watertown in 1857, and has since practiced at Mexico. For fifteen years he was the junior member of the banking house of Whitney & Skinner. In 1863 he was elected surrogate for four years, in 1871 for six years, and in 1877 for six years. He was also president of the village, and justice of the peace for eight years. In 1856 he married Elizabeth CALKINS, who died in 1861, leaving one child, Lizzie V., now Mrs. J.B. STONE of Auburn. Mr. Skinner afterwards married Sarah ROSE, and their children are Grace A. and Avery W.
SMITH, Chester B., was born in Parish December 11, 1835, son of Henry Smith, a native of Schoharie county, one of twenty-two children of William Smith of Schoharie county, who was twice married and a farmer by occupation. Henry was a mason by trade, and his later years were spent as a farmer. His wife was Mary MORENAS of German ancestry, and their children are Jeremiah, William H., George W., Mariette, Nancy Ann, Roxina, Cyrus J., Ransom O., Chester B., Rothcinda, and Thomas H. William Smith was the great-grandfather of subject, and a Revolutionary soldier. Subject began farming for himself at twenty-one, went to Illinois in 1862, and enlisted in Co. G., 42d Ills. Inft. He served eighteen months and was discharged on account of disability. He participated in battle No. 10 on the Mississippi River, Shiloh and Farmington, returning to Illinois and followed butchering. He then went to Paris and in December, 1863, enlisted in Co. I, 24th N.Y. Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. During this service he took part in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, where he was wounded in the face, and Cold Harbor, where his warm was broken while building breastworks. After the war he settled on his present farm, where his chief business has been dealing in live stock. Subject served as deputy sheriff nine years, constable fifteen years, which office he still holds; and is a member of the Waterbury G.A.R. Post of Central Square. In February 1864, he married Jennie B., daughter of Richared NORTHRUP, of Mexico.
TOOLEY, Minott F., Palermo, was born April 14, 1861, son of George M.,
who was born August 16, 1818. Peter TOOLEY, the grandfather, was
originally from the Eastern States. Jeremiah Tooley, the great-grandfather,
was one of the pioneers of Oneida county. George M. married Lois
WHITE of Oneida county, a daughter of Roderick WHITE. They had six
children: Lucy, Martha, Minott, Elmer B., and James A., the latter being
principal of Stamford Academy in Delaware county. Our subject married
Maude GILMAN, June 28, 1888, and their children are Queenia R. and Minnie
L. Minott F. has filled several minor offices in the town, and has
always been an active worker for his party. In March 1894, he was
elected supervisor. He was educated in the Mexico Academy.
TAYLOR, Benjamin F., was born in Richland, July 3, 1833, a son of David,
whose father, David Sr. died in Oswego county aged eighty years.
David Jr. died aged eighty-one. He married Sallie BALDWIN, of Connecticut,
who died aged eighty-six, and their children were Fenner B., George W.,
Benjamin F., and M.D. Lafayette of whom the latter and Fenner are deceased.
The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812, and the father was one
of the oldest settlers in Richland, opening and improving the farm now
occupied by his son. B.F. Taylor, was educated in Richland and took
up farming and dairying. December 29, 1858, he married Phila Adelia,
daughter of Levi P. and Elmina E. (TUCKER) HUGHSON, her great grandfather
having been a soldier in the Revolution. The children of our subject
are Minnie E., and John D., the former the wife of John MORAN, of Pulaski,
by whom she has one child; and the latter residing at home.
TURNER, Captain B. Coe, was born in Scriba, March 13, 1814. His first work was driving team on the canal, after which he went sailing on the lakes fifteen years, and last eleven of which he was captain of vessels. He then took up farming, and has resided fifty-two years on his present farm. In 1842 he married Sarah M. LATHROP, and they had two children, M. Bertrand and Cora L., wife of J.H. WORDEN. Mrs. Turner died April 7, 1893, and February 20, 1884, he married Emma BRADSHAW. Captain Turner was postmaster fifteen years and has been one of the commissioners of the Oswego county Savings Bank since 1870. His father was Joseph TURNER, and his mother Siloma TYLER. They were early settlers in Oswego county in 1810.
TRIMBLE, David H., Palermo, was born March 28, 1838. His father David, of Irish parentage, was born in 1809. He married Margaret SCOTT in New York, who was of Scotch parentage. Their children were Jane, Sarah, Lucinda, D.H. and Louisa, all being deceased but our subject. His occupation in early life was a farmer up to 1871, at which time he came to Palermo and engaged in the mercantile business on a general line of goods, which he still continues. In connection with this business he has a cheese factory, from which he turns out large quantities. He was the first to make what is known as the light skim cheese in Oswego county. He was very successful and paid his patrons many thousand dollars more than the full cream factory paid. He succeeded in getting a daily mail service, and was postmaster from 1871 to 1888, also supervisor eight years. While on the Board of Supervisors he succeeded in getting the equalized valuation of the town of Palermo reduced $225,000. He married in 1856, Ermie, Daughter of G.F. SATTUCK of Scriba, Oswego county, and they have five children, Gordon D., John, Minnie, Fred and May the latter two being deceased. Subject married second. Mrs. Rose GILLMAN, widow of Levi Gillman. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Harman Lodge No. 144 of Fulton.
TULLER, Leander, was born in Mexico, in 1822 and has always resided here. He farmed till twenty-one years of age, then followed the carpenter trade till 1862, when he enlisted in the 110th Regiment and served three years. In 1849 he married Frances WHITNEY, who died in 1892. He has one child, Cora, now Mrs. William SHUMWAY of Mexico. The parents, Orrin and Polly (KELSEY) TULLER, came to Oswego county in an early day. Mr. Tuller has followed carpentry and joining ever since the war.
TWITCHELL, Henry C., of English ancestry, was born in Oswego county, August 28, 1845. His grandfather, Stephen, was born in Mass., and died in Pulaski. James, father of Henry C., was born in Jefferson county, and died in Pulaski, aged sixty-eight, and his wife Polly, born in Richland, also died in Pulaski, aged sixty-five. Their children were Maria, Antoinette, Stephen, Jane, Henry C., Candace, Martha and Anna. Mr. Twitchell was a carpenter by trade, and attended the Methodist Church. Henry C. was educated in Pulaski and followed sailing until 1861, when he enlisted in the 7th N.Y. Cavalry and served six months, was honorably discharged and returned home. He again took up the sailor's life, which he followed three years, then began carpentry which he has since followed. In 1870 he married Carrie MOODY, daughter of Harry and Caroline MOODY of Richland. Mr. Twithcell is a Royal Arch Mason, a G.A.R. man and was collector of the town three years.
SMITH, Frank L., son of Harvey H., and Lavina (JENNINGS) SMITH, is a native of Schroeppel, born on the farm where he resides in 1858. He was educated in Phoenix. In connection with general farming he deals in live stock, hay, etc. His mother is a native of Palermo, and the father died in 1888, aged sixty-seven.
TUTTLE, Daniel H., was born in 1844, in Amboy, on the farm where his father, Anson W. Tuttle, first settled, in the township where his grandfather, Septimus TUTTLE, settled among the early settlers of Amboy. Mr. Tuttle entered the army of 1861 in Co. E. 32d Rgt., N.Y.S. Vols., as a musician. After the war he returned to Amboy again and lived there on the old farm until 1869. Then he went to Michigan and lived in various parts of that state until 1880; then he went to Wisconsin and live there until 1885, when he returned to Amboy again and repurchased the old homestead, where he has since resided.
TROWBRIGE, Charles F, was born August 3, 1854, in Tully, N.Y., son of Robert C. and Betsey R. TROWBRIDGE, whose families were among the earliest settlers in Central New York. He was educated in the State Normal School, Cortland, N.Y. and is a Republican in politics. He learned the printing trade and came to Parish in 1874, and followed the business in the Parish Mirror office till he went into the drug business, during which time he was appointed postmaster, which position he held from 1878 till 1882, when he resigned to enter the U.S. railway mail service, a position that he still retains on the N.Y. Central and H.R. Railroad designated by the Post office Department as "New York & Chicago Railway Post-office." He is assigned to the "fast mail" and has a run between Syracuse and New York. During his term as postmaster he was elected supervisor of the town. He married, October 10, 1876, Sarah A. SNELL, daughter of L.D. and Sarah M. SNELL, both of whom were born in Oppenheim, Fulton county, N.Y. They settled in Parish in 1874, where Mr. Snell opened Snell House. Mr. Snell is a veteran of the late Civil war, having a brilliant record through his three years of service. Subject and wife have on daughter, Bessie B., born March 5, 1888.
WIGHTMAN, Edgar M., was born in Parish December 28, 1856, son of Asher S., WIGHTMAN, a native of Parish, born and reared on a farm and a son of Humhpreys and Eunice WIGHTMAN, who were among the very first settlers of the town of Parish. Asher S., was a school teacher and writing master during his younger days, always taking an active interest in educational affairs, being chosen school commissioner for several years, and provided his children with a liberal education. His wife was Emeline RICHARDSON of Mexico, N.Y. and their children are Mrs. Ella ACKLEY of Parish, Mrs. Minnie WETHERBEE of West Monroe, and Edgar M. He was born, lived and died on the old homestead farm. Edgar M. was reared on the farm and attended school at Parish, finishing his education at Mexico Academy. He then taught school for several years, being very popular as an instructor and teacher. In February, 1872, he married Rosella E. CROSS, only child of Cyrus P. and Lura (PENOYER) CROSS of West Monroe, N.Y. They have two children, Lura and Ruby, who are being educated at Cazenovia Seminary, this State. In the spring of 1885 he engaged in the general mercantile business in the village of West Monroe, N.Y. in partnership with his father-in-law. Sine the latter's death in 1892 he has assumed control and proprietorship of the business, carrying on the largest general mercantile and supply business in this section of the country, in connection with which he carried on an extensive agricultural business in this and adjoining counties. Besides the mercantile business, Mr. W. is largely interested in farming in West Monroe and Constantia. He is a member of the Masonic order, and has served his town as supervisor and postmaster.
TONKIN, John Jay, was born in England April 2, 1851, came to this county when about five years old, and was educated in the public, boarding and mechanical schools. At the age of twenty-two he was first assistant superintendent of machinery for the Delaware and Hudson Coal Co., of Scranton, Pa., which company he left about two years later to accept the position of general superintendent of the James River Co., of Richmond, Va., having full charge of all their property including mines, railroad and boats on canal. In 1879 he formed a company for the manufacture of the Tonkin Direct Acting Steam Pump, then went to Buffalo to take full charge of the Hart, Ball & Hart Works, manufacturers of oil well supplies, brass goods, cast iron pipe, sugar house supplies, forgings, etc. He found there was more money in making grape sugar (glucose) and starch, so went with the Michigan Grape Sugar Co., as general superintendent, fitted up the new works and started it successfully. He was then offered a position with the Chicago Sugar Refining Co. of Chicago, Ill, where he converted the first lot of anhydrous grape sugar ever converted on a manufacturing scale in this country, and was general superintendent of the works, which cost about tow and one-half million dollars. From Chicago he went to Oswego, and was engaged by the Oswego Starch Factory for the purpose of making starch for them by the latest process, the company being undecided whether to use the old process or the new. The output under his management was only about 4,800 lbs per day, just to prove to the company on a small scale, the new process. Later on he was appointed by Thompson Kingsford as general manager of the Kingsford Foundry and Machine Works, having charge also of numerous other things under Mr. Kingsford; with whom he remained six years and one month, and was with the Oswego Starch Factory the whole time. While in Oswego he started the Oswego Tool Co., an incorporated company, of which life has always been president. They manufacture light machinery, tools of boiler shops, machine shops for railway use, etc. He left Mr. Kingsford to take charge of the Warden Mfg. Co.'s Works at Philadelphia, Pa, manufacturers of boilers, gas engines, etc. Leaving Philadelphia in 1893 he organized a company for the manufacture of boilers, engines and general machinery, under the name of the Tonkin Boiler and Engine Works Co., whose officers are John Jermyn, president; Rollo G. Jermyn, treasurer and John Jay Tonkin, engineer and general manager. The plant can work about 250 men and has a capacity of about $400,000 worth per annum. The works are hydraulic throughout, and it is the second complete hydraulic plant in this country, the first being owned by the Pennsylvania railroad Co., in their Altoona Shops, Altoona, Pa., where they build their locomotives. The Tonkin company has a 400 ton hydraulic flanging press, which was made in England; this press will flange up to eight feet diameter, one inch thick, in one heat. The company owns about twenty acres of ground a the present time for manufacturing purpose, and make nothing but high grade work. The Tonkin Co., make complete plans for steam power plants, including the buildings, brick chimneys, self-supporting steel plate chimneys, and contract for complete steam plants of any capacity, all ready for steam. Mr. Tonkin has contracted for complete steam plants of any capacity, all ready for steam. Mr. Tonkin has contracted for and supervised the building of several of the largest steam boiler plants in the country, among them the Third Avenue Cable road plant, New York city, of about eight thousand horse power; the Broadway cable road plant, New York City, of about six thousand horse power; boilers of the United States twin screw steamer, Maple, about two thousand horse power; for the World's Fair, Chicago, and many others.
SMITH, Nathan Button, is descended from sturdy ancestors, and was born in the town of Danby, Rutland county, Vt., in the years 1842. His great-grandfather, Asa SMITH, came form Milton, Mass, and settled in the town of Clarendon, Vt., prior to the Revolutionary War. He was a surveyor by profession, a large landed proprietor, and was very active and influential in the early settlement and organization of that town. His father, Nathan J. SMITH, was born on the farm where his grandfather had settled in the year 1804. He was married to Alzina BUTTON in the year 1836 and then engaged in mercantile pursuits at the village of Danby, Vt. He was the proprietor of a large general store until the year 1849 when he move with his family to the town of Clarendon, where he purchased a large farm in the Otter Creek Valley on which he resided until his death. He was a member of the General Assembly, first selectman of the town for several years, and held several other positions of trust and responsibility. He died in the years 1876 at the age of seventy-two years, him surviving five sons, of whom the eldest is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Smith's maternal ancestors came from the state of Connecticut. His great-grandfather, Charles E. BUTTON, settled in the town of Rutland, and was a prominent official in that town a t the time of the trouble between New Yorkers and the settlers who claimed title to the lands from the New Hampshire grants. His grandfather, Col. Frederick BUTTON, was born in Claredon, Vt., in the year 1785; and lived and died upon the farm where his ancestors had settled. He was a prominently man in the business and political affairs of his county. He was a member of assembly, State senator, first president of the County Agricultural Society, and became noted as a breeder and dealer in Merino sheep. He died in the year 1874 in the eighty-ninth year of his age. Mr. Smith's mother was born in the year 1814. She was educated at Caslteton Seminary. She is a lady of refinement and culture and great force of character. She is still living upon the family homestead where she is enjoying a serene and beautiful old age. Mr. Smith in his early boyhood developed a fondness for study and reading. He attended the district school in the winter and a select school in a neighboring village, and in 1857 became a student in Burr & Burton Seminary, then the best known classical school in Western Vermont. After the completion of his course of study in the preparatory school he entered Middlebury College, where he graduated in the year 1863 with the highest honors of his class. The following year was spent by Mr. Smith at Washington and in Virginia with the Army of the Potomac, as a correspondent for one of the New York dailies. He was also a student for a few months in the law office of Gov. John W. Steward at Milddlebury, Vt., and in the autumn of 1865 came to the village of Pulaski, N.Y. where he taught the languages and higher mathematics in the Pulaski Academy, and also continued his legal studies in the office of Hon. S.C. Huntington. He was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of this State in the year 1868, and during the same year he was elected member of assembly form the third district of Oswego County. Though Mr. Smith was the youngest member of the Legislature in the year 1869, he was a member of the Judiciary Committee and the Committee on Privileges and Elections. He peremptorily refused a re-nomination, in order that he might engage in the practice of his chosen profession, and he is now an active and prominent member of the bar of Oswego county. He was elected special surrogate in the year 1874, which office he held for one term of three years. In the year 1881 he was elected district attorney of Oswego county. He discharged the duties of that office for one term of three years, being engaged in several celebrated criminal trials during his term. Mr. Smith was married to Ellen Grinnell CORNELL, they youngest daughter of the late Capt. Stephen CORNELL, of the Untied States Revenue Service, in the years 1872. Mrs. Smith was born at Newport, R.I., and a direct descendant of Thomas CORNELL, who came to this country from England in the year 1647. Thomas Cornell settled in Portsmouth, R.I., and the farm on which he settled has been owned or occupied by some of his descendants ever since that date. Their children, Cornell, aged sixteen years and Walter D., aged twelve years, are now students in the Pulaski Academy. Mr. Smith is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Congregational Church, and is largely interested in the social, business and educational interests of his village. By his habits of industry and study, he has attained and excellent reputation as a lawyer, and his many personal friends throughout Oswego county confidently expect that higher political honors may be conferred upon him.
SHUTTS, Jonas, Hannibal, was born in Columbia county, March 18, 1814 and came to this county in March, 1830, a son of John I. SHUTTS, a native of Columbia county. He owns 151 acres of land. Six brothers of this name came from Holland and settled in Greene and Columbia counties, they being the founders of the family in this country. Jonas Shutts married, first, Clarissa A. DEMONT, who died in 1840, by whom he had three children, all deceased. He afterwards married Emeline, a daughter of Col. Roswell LANE, and their children are Mrs. Alvina DUNHAM, Dakota, George W., who died in 1893; Mrs. Clarissa HAMILTON, Gilbert and Mrs. Eva DARROW. He married, third, Eliza E. CLEVELAND, who at that time was the widow of Abrams SHUTTS, a brother of Jonas. Peter Shutts was in the war of the Rebellion, and was shot at the battle of Gettysburg.
SAIRS, C.A., was born near Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence county, September 24, 1837. At twelve years of age he was working on a farm, but soon went into a shingle mill. At sixteen years of have he was sailing and followed the lakes for sixteen years, most of which time he held a mate's certificate and finally obtained captain's papers. In 1867 he came to Oswego and began farming, which he has since followed. In 1862 he married Cornelia M. LOCKWOOD of Scriba, who died June 19, 1894. His father was John M. SAIRS, who was of Mohawk Dutch extraction. His mother was Harried (SMEDED) SAIRS, of the early New England settlers. Mr. Sairs is one of the leading men of the town of Oswego, and justice of the peace, and has always lived on the farm he now owns since coming into the town.
SPOON, David, was born in Herkimer county in 1837. At the age of five he came to Amboy, where in 1870 he went into a general merchandise store with his brother at Amboy center. Later for six years he was a farmer, after which he bought out another store which is known as the form of D. Spoon & Son, where they have done business for seventeen years. Seymour SPOON was chosen supervisor in said town in 1892 and 1893.
SHIELDS, Robert was born in Newark, N.J. in September 13, son of David SHIELDS, of English and Scotch parentage. His wife was Sarah KEITH, and their children were Robert, James and John. He returned to his native land, taking his family with him, where he died in 1843. Later, his wife with her sons, John and James, went to Australia. In 1849 Robert returned to the United States, going to Cincinatti, Ohio, where he learned the chair making trade. He enlisted in 1861 in Co. F, 29th Indiana Vol. Inf., for three years, re-enlisted and served until the close of the war, serving in all the battles of his regiment. He went in as private and came out as first lieutenant, going to South Bend, where he followed his trade until 1877 when he came to West Monroe and engaged in farming, where he has since resided. He was a member of Anten Post G.A.R. of South Bend. In 1871 he married Laura E., daughter of John W. and Sally (PERKINS) SPERRY; they have one daughter, Eleanor Sperry SHIELDS, and one by adoption, Laura Adine PETIT, who is a daughter of Mrs. Shield's deceased sister. Mrs. Shield's father, John W., SPERY, was born in 1805, and came to Constantia in 1810 with his parents. He was town clerk, commissioner of highways and justice of the peace for years. Mr. Sperry was a resident of West Monroe seventy years. He was married in 1830 to Sally M. PERKINS of Manlius, N.Y., owned and resided on the same farm continuously fifty-three years. He died in 1883 and his wife, aged eighty-three, died in 1893. His family consisted of two sons and five daughters: Achsie (SPENCER), died in 1892; Marcia (LADD), lives in Hastings, N.Y., Laura (SHIELDS), West Monroe; Frances (INGERSON), West Monroe; John E. Sperry, Madison county; Hattie (PETIT), died in 1889; Arthur W. Sperry lives in Geneva, N.Y.
STEWART, Phineas of Scotch ancestry, was a grandson of Eathol STEWART, born in Massachusetts, who died in Oswego county and a son of Benjamin, who died in Sandy Creek, aged seventy-seven. The latter married Patience LOOK, who died aged seventy-three. Their children were Caroline, born in 1830; Phineas, born in 1832; Benjamin born in 1834; Abigail born in 1837; Martha born in 1840; Eseck born in 1852. Abigail died in 1882. Our subject married Emily, daughter of David and Sarah EHLE, and they have one adopted son, Herman, who, in December 1893, married Emma, daughter of Edson and Melissa DEREMO of Sandy Creek.
PARKHURST, Wallace B., was born in Hastings June 9, 1844, son of William B. and Alta PARKHURST, was educated in Hastings and Mexico, worked on his father's farm after leaving school, and conducts the farm formerly owned by his father, consisting of about ninety acres, mostly under a high state of cultivation. He was married in March 1874 to Hattiet PERFIELD.
PERRY, Thomas E., was born in Oneida county, of Welsh ancestry, August 11, 1827; a son of John PERRY, who was born in Wales and died in Oneida county, aged seventy-six years. He came to America in 1818. He married Mary THOMAS, by whom he had these children: John (deceased), Henry and Thomas E. Mrs. Perry died in this county, aged eighty-eight. She was also a native of Wales. Our subject was educated in Oneida and Herkimer counties nad came to this locality in 1849, where he settled on his present farm. He is a Mason and a Granger. February 16, 1849, he married Ann THOMAS of Frankfort, a daughter of Thomas THOMAS and their children are: Hattie, George, Mary and Walter. Hattie married Charles POWERS of Pulaski, a hotel keeper, and has one child; George married Ellia EDICK, and has two children; Mary married Fred WIRMER of Holmesville and has one child; Walter married Emma GANGEWER and resides in Washington, D.C., being employed in the War Department. He has one child.
PARSONS, H.F., Palermo, was born March 5, 1835. Andrew PARSONS, his father, was born September 6, 1790. Andrew PARSONS, his grandfather, was a native of Vermont. The father married Catherine RICE, January 1, 1816, and their children by this marriage were Minerva, Andrew and Emory. Catherine, wife of Andrew Parsons, died December 5, 1823. He then married Phoebe EASTWOOD of Pennsylvania, February 19, 1826, and their children were Marian and H.F., the subject. He died when H.F. was eleven years of age, and the latter, at the age of seventeen, took a half interest with his brother Emory. He married, May 7, 1853, Mary A., daughter of Rev. J. SMEDLEY of Palermo. Their children are Erwin E., Ida A., and Carrie J., all married.
PARKER, Peter A., was born in Herkimer county in 1835, son of Archibald and Cassandra (HOXIE) PARKER, natives of Herkimer and Madison counties, who lived and died in Herkimer county. Mr. Parker was reared on a farm, married in 1858 Margaret, the daughter of Peter and Jane (WARBURTON) ROSCOE, and six years later located on his present farm in Schroeppel. His wife died in 1893, leaving three daughters, Florence C., wife of Calvin CORY, Fanny L. and Mary Maud Parker.
PHILLIPS, William M., was born in the town of West Monroe in 1856, a son of Elijah H., who is also a native of West Monroe, born in 1828, and a son of Peter, a native of Kinderhook, Columbia county, whose father was Jacob, who came to West Monroe in 1819. Elijah, while young followed boating on the canal and later has devoted his time to farming. He has been a resident of the town of Constantia since 1864, and has always taken a active interest in politics. His wife was Emeline MILTON, a native of New Hampshire. The result of this marriage was six children, the names of those surviving being William M., Mrs. Olivia M. GOODWIN of Hastings, Eliza J. and Wendell E. The subject began for himself when twenty-three by purchasing a farm. In 1880 he married Emily, daughter of William MERCHANT of West Monroe. In 1884 they removed to their present farm of forty acres in the southwest corner of the town, where they have a pleasant home in view of Oneida Lake, with five children, namely, Leon E., Leola A., Lester L., Lyle A. and Leland E.
PECK, F.S., is a native of Herkimer county, born in 1826. He married there Elizabeth CHAPMAN, who died in 1873, leaving two children, Medora J. and Alonzo Adelbert, who died aged nineteen. Mr. Peck is a carpenter by trade and in 1826 moved to Loraine county, Ohio, where he resided a few years. He also lived in Jackson county, Mo. In 1879 he married Cordelia GARDNER of Schroeppel and located here. He made cheese ten or eleven years, since which time he has farmed. He is an enthusiastic Prohibitionist, and has attended most of the conventions held in the State.
PHELPS, W.B. was born in Eaton, Madison county, September 24, 1817.
His early days were spent on a farm. His father died when he was
fourteen years of age, when he went to live with an uncle in Springfield,
Mass., finally coming to Oswego when twenty-one years old (September 10,
1839). From that date he lived almost uninterruptedly in this city,
commencing his business career as a teacher of writing, then clerked in
shoe, hat and ship chandlery stores; after which his destiny carried him
aboard of some of the largest lake steamers, where he soon became purser,
and having the confidence of his managing officers was always appealed
to and counseled with in cases of emergency and danger. It was one
of the delights of Mr. Phelp's life to relate the experiences of his steamboat
career, when steamboating was the great means of transporting the westward
bound thousands, before the railroad companies laid rails west of Buffalo.
Mr. Phelps lived in Buffalo about two years, 1860-61; but as Buffalo was
presumably going down hill and Oswego was the promising, growing city,
he came back here and engaged with the Ontario Steamboat Company as chief
clerk, and was the managing active man until under his advice the boats
were sold to the Canadians in 1867. At this period, the then Oswego
and Syracuse Railroad Company were looking for an able, executive man.
Mr. Phelps was at once offered the superintendency, and that the management
made no mistake was illustrated in the history of the road. It passed
in perpetual lease in 1869 to the D.L. and W. Railroad Company, and Mr.
Phelps was highly appreciated by the management of that powerful corporation.
He gave up the laborious duties of the superintendency in May 1885, and
up to the time of his fourth attack of paralysis, which occurred while
he was sitting in his office chair in the D., L. and W., depot, May 14,
1894, filling the position of general agent, he was closely identified
with every move of importance in the policy of the handling of this great
company in this section. During his long railroad life he declined
the superintendency of the Flint and Pere Marquette, Utica and Black River,
and Lake Ontario Shore Railroads. He was never in public office except
as alderman for two terms from the Third Ward. His ancestors were
Puritan stock and he always referred with great pride to the fact that
his grandfather carried a musket at Bunker Hill. He married Caroline
Matilda STONE in 1843, with whom he enjoyed forty-six years of happy married
life that well might stand as a model for all creation. When Mrs.
Phelps was called into eternity, Oswego lost one of its most cherished
Christian and philanthropic characters and her husband a companion such
as angels only know. She died September 25, 1889, in her sixty-third
year. Mr. Phelps's health was gradually failing; he saw and often
spoke to his friends "that the purple mists of the eternal city were in
sight over the hilltops". Until he was overtaken with his fatal illness
he was in a partially unconscious state for two months, and on the morning
of the 17th of May, 1894, he peacefully fell asleep. Mr. Samuel Bowles,
editor of the Springfield Republican wrote editorally as follows: William
B. Phelps, an interesting and charming character, who spent the early years
of his long and happy life in Springfield, died at Oswego, N.Y., on Wednesday
(age seventy-six). He came to this town as a boy to live with his
uncle, Benjamin Phelps, who we believe kept the Exchange Hotel on Main
street in its palmy days. He remained here until 1843, and then went
to Oswego, which, with slight interruption, was his home for the rest of
PIGUET, Frances, was born in Cicero in July 1857, son of John Peter PIGUET, a native of France, born in 1818, one of eight children of Xavier and Frances PIGUET of the same place, who came to the United States in 1828 direct to Hastings and settled on a farm. John P., the father of the subject, has always been a farmer and now resides in Mallory with his daughter. His wife was Mary Ann MOHAT, and their children are Mrs. Mary Ann COURBAT of Mallory; Mrs. Adaline HEPP of Cicero; Frank of Syracuse; Mrs. Elizabeth MAURER of Long Branch; George and Anthony of Mallory; Mrs. Margaret ROBINSON of West Monroe; Mrs. Jane KRAMER of Syracuse; John of Mallory; Mathew, and our subject. The latter began life for himself at the age o twenty-one as a farmer in Cicero. In 1887 he moved to West Monroe, where he has since been engaged in farming. In 1893 in connection with farming he engaged in the manufacture of shingles and barrel headings. He has served as commissioner of highways two terms and other minor offices. In 1880, he married, Elizabeth PATIT of Little France, and they have two children, Florence L. and Alfred L. Mr. Piguet is a member of Little France cornet band, and he and wife are members of the Grange.
PIGUET, John, was born in Cicero, Onondaga county, in May 1855, son of John P. PIGUET, a native of France, born in 1818, whose parents were Xavier and Frances PIGUET of the same place. John P., father of our subject, resides with his daughter in Mallory. His wife was Mary Ann MOHAT, by whom he had ten children: Mrs. Joseph COURBAT of Mallory; Mrs. Adaline HEPP of Cicero; Frank; Mrs. Elizabeth MAURER of Long Branch; George; Anthony; Mrs. Margaret ROBINSON of West Monroe; Mrs. Jane KRAMER of Syracuse; John and Francis. Subject remained with his parents until twenty-one, then worked on a farm for two years, later engaged in black-smithing in Mallory for two years. In 1880 he began farming for himself in Hastings, and was for some years interested in threshing grain. He now acts as miller in a grist mill for his brother-in-law, Joseph COURBAT in Mallory. In November 1880, he married Mary, daughter of Anthony COURBAT of Hastings, and their children are Clarence A., born in 1882; and Clara A., born in 1892. Mr. Piguet has served as highway commissioner and collector several terms, and he and wife are members of the Central Square Grange.
PIGUET, George, was born in Little France, West Monroe, in July 1844, son of John P. PIGUET, a native of France, born in 1818, one of the eight children of Xavier and Frances PIGUET of the same place. Subject's father now resides with his daughter, Mrs. Joseph COURBAT. His wife was Mary Ann MOHAT and their children were Mrs. Adaline HEPP of Cicero; Mrs. Mary Ann COURBAT of Mallory; Frank; Mrs. Elizabeth MAURER of Long Branch; George; Anthony; Mrs. Margaret ROBINSON of West Monroe; Mrs. Jane KRAMER of Syracuse; John and Francis. Subject was reared on a farm, and when eighteen went to Syracuse and clerked for some years. In 1879 he established a general mercantile store in Mallory, which he now conducts. In 1872 he married Katie, daughter of Peter GERMAIN, a native of France, an they have one child, George Albert, born in 1873. Mr. Piguet has always taken an active interest in politics, has been notary public eight years, served on county committee, has been deputy postmaster fifteen years, and is trustee of the Catholic Church at Little France. He also conducts a farm of 100 acres.
PHELPS, W.B. Jr., was born in Buffalo, N.Y., April 21, 1859, receiving his education in the public schools of Oswego, where his family moved for the second time in 1860, and finishing in the Boy's English and Classical School (Prof. E.J. Hamilton's) after which a winter was spent in the Eastman Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Mr. Phelps entered the freight office of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company in April, 1877, and after following a clerkship for two years, was promoted to the joint ticket agency of the D.L.&W. and R.W. & O., Railroads, in the then Union Depot. During the thirteen years that he held this responsible position, he was five times elected vice-commodore of the flourishing Oswego Yacht Club, and one year commodore. Joining the Masonic fraternity in May 1889, he rapidly filled the different chairs, and was master of Frontier City Lodge in 1891-92. During the seasons (1887-91 inclusive) that the steamer Ontario ran between Oswego and Alexandria Bay, Mr. Phelps filled the positions of agent, general agent, and general passenger and freight agent of the line. While in the latter capacity he was delegated by a party of capitalists to go to Europe in the interest of placing a line of boats on Lake Ontario; Mr. Phelps performed his errand to the entire satisfaction of his friends, but too high a premium was demanded on the other side, and the scheme was not closed. Mr. Phelps was a member of the American Association of General Passenger and Ticket Agents, and with that body of representative passenger men, enjoyed a tree weeks' trip through old Mexico in 1890; this magnificent train of thirteen Pullmans, entertained by the government of Mexico, had a great influence in bringing closer together the relations of the two governments. In June 1892, Mr. Phelps was appointed agent for the freight and ticket departments of the D.L,&W. Railroad at Oswego, having charge of the Oswego end of the line. In 1881 he purchased the coal and insurance business of Mr. J.B. Donnelly, and erecting a coal trestle in rear of the D.L. & W. station, soon became an important factor in the retail coal business in the city. For many years he was treasurer of the R.R. Y.M.C.A. If in any one of his numerous positions in life outside of his business, Mr. Phelps was the possessor of friends and fame, it was as owner and skipper of his family's old sloop, the Katie Gray; she was known in every port on the lakes, and stood up to her high standard for speed and sharp sailing; ling after her sister ships had been bleaching on the sands, her owner delighted in keeping her in good form and no yacht probably before or since has gained her reputation. Mr. Phelp's coal office in the City Savings Bank building is one of the oldest coal stands in the city.
PECK, S.E., was born in Lenox, Mass., March 8, 1811, and came to Scriba with his father in 1822, making seventy-two years that he has lived in the town. In 1836 he married Betsey MORGAN, who died in 1886. Two children are living, Shubel PECK and Evaline, now Mrs. Almon TIFFANY. S.E. Peck was formerly connected with a rifle company, and is greatly respected in this section for his long and honorable life. His son, Shubel, sales from Buffalo to Chicago. He married Emily CHRISTMAN, and his son, F. Peck, married Alice COON and they have two children. His daughter, Ella, married W. MARSHALL and has one child. There are four generations of the Peck family now living.
PRENTISS, J.C., was born in Oneida county May 12, 1832. He learned the trade of joiner and followed it thirty years, when he took up farming in connection with his trade. Mr. Prentiss married first, Adeline BARNES and they have one son, Frank H. of Boston. His second wife was Amelia (WORDEN) BATES. Mr. Prentiss's father was Samuel Prentiss and his mother, Almira (BREWSTER) PRENTISS. Frank H. married Ellen CROOK of Nova Scotia.
PLACE, Andrew G. was born in New Haven in 1819, His father was Andrew PLACE, a powerful man, physically and mentally, of good talents, a fine speaker, a great politician, and a Jacksonian Democrat. He was a captain in the war of 1812. He married Viotte ANDERSON, of Paris, Oneida county, and died in this town in 1852, aged sixty-five, and his wife in 1870, aged eighty-tree. Andrew G. lived a few years in Oneida county, then spent ten or twelve years in Sandy Creek. He then spent three years in Jefferson county, one year at Port Ontario, and in 1837 returned to his native town. In 1841 he married Cornelia, daughter of Hirm TAYLOR, of Ellisburg, Jefferson county, and their family consists of these children: Immogene; Ada Josephine, who died in 1864, aged eighteen; Gertrude, who died in 1851, aged two years; Eveline and Ellistine, who are now living.
PULVER, Walter H., general manager of the T. Kingsford Family Supply Stores of Oswego, was born in this town September 16, 1852. His grandfather, George B., was born in Germany, came to this country and died in New Jersey, aged eighty-seven. The father, William W., was born in this State and is now living, aged seventy-two. He married Charlotte A. COOK, who is now living, aged sixty-eight. Our subject clerked for his father in a general store, and in 1874 was taken into partnership. In 1877 he engaged with T. Kingsford as clerk, it then being a single store, carrying a stock of about $30,000. Two years later he was made general manager of the entire store, which has grown under his management to an annual business of $200,000, employing over thirty people. Mr. Pulter is a Mason of the Mystic Shrine, Commander of Lake Ontario Commandery, No. 32 K.T., Oswego Lodge, No. 127, Damascus Temple. In 1878 he married Laura W., daughter of Hon. Charles NORTH and Harriet N. WHITE of Oswego, and their children are Harriet, born June 19, 1881; Helen C., born October 19, 1883; Harold N., born August 9, 1890, all living.
ROGERS, John, son of Bernard, was born in Ireland in 1840, and came to America when a young man. After working several years at his trade as a tanner, he came to Williamstown in 1870 and started in business, where he has since been one of the successful merchants. He married Elizabeth MACKEN, and their children were Bernard, who died in 1891, aged twenty-four, and Anna ROGERS, who is bookkeeper with her father.
ROBINSON, John H., of Irish and English descent, was born in Richland, January 23, 1860. His grandfather, James, died in Oswego county, aged eighty-eight, and his father, Dennis, died in Oswego county aged sixty-four. The latter married Harriet E. GATES and their children where John H., Myra B. and Nellie M. John H. was educated at Pulaski Academy and has always followed farming. November 24, 1880, he married Kittie M. MC CHESNEY, daughter of Dwight and Medora MC CHESNEY of Pulaski. Her father spent his life on the lakes and later as a mechanic. The children of our subject are Lizzie L., Dorr D., and Hattie M. One of the ancestors of both Mr. and Mrs. Robinson served in the British army in the war of 1812. Mr. Robinson now owns the homestead of Daniel PRATT, on which is standing and in use to-day one of the most unique houses in the county, having been built by Daniel Pratt about 1845 and is composed entirely of cobble stone, none of which is larger than a turkey's egg.
RAMSEY, John, a native of Mexico, was born in 1834, and married Esther PARKER in 1857, after which he located on his present farm in Texas, where he follows dairy farming. He was postmaster of Texas during Harrison's administration, and has been assessor for the past eleven years. He has four children, Adelia, William, Ward and Spencer. His father, William, was born in Scotland in 1800, and when about seventeen years of aged came to Oneida county, and there married Agony STEELE, also a native of Scotland, who died in New Jersey in 1873. William died in Mexico in 1879.
REID, Edward, was born March 3, 1849, in Albion, son of James and Rebecca (ROBINSON) REID. James REID was born in Ireland in 1803, and came to Kirkland, Oneida county, worked at farming six years, then bought a farm in Albion, on which he lived until he died. He was one of the oldest settlers in Albion, and had fourteen children, ten of whom are now living. Subject was educated in Albion, also at Whitestown Seminary, then went to work on his father's farm, and later bought a farm of his own, which he worked one year. He sold the farm and went into the livery business, and subsequently added the hotel business, both of which he conducted three years. He then went to Pennsylvania where he remained ten years, returned to Parish in 1885 and soon became identified with the livery business, also owns a farm. Mr. Reid has made Parish the headquarters for commercial travelers who come to that point by rail, and there hire teams to visit a large radius of surrounding territory. He married February 3, 1871, Mary J. RUGG, and has one son, William B., born October 16, 1874, now studying for a physician.
ROOD, Horace J., was born June 9, 1844, in Pittsfield, Oswego county, son of Welcome and Roby ROOD. His father moved from New England to Mt. Upton, built there a large factory, which was destroyed by fire, occasioning him a large loss, as there was no insurance. From Mt. Upton he moved to Pittsfield, where he cleared a farm and built and operated a rope factory, and here the subject of the present sketch was born. He was educated in Clayville and Pittsfield. His father then left Pittsfield and moved to Edmeston, where he operated a fulling mill, also a saw mill and conducted a farm. From there the family moved to Parish. Here they bought a farm and Horace cleared it up, put up the buildings and operated the farm. Horace J., now owns this farm and also the adjoining one, conducting both. Mr. Rood has been assessor of Parish sixteen years and has two years more of an unexpired term to serve. Mr. Rood's long term as assessor attests the high estimation in which he is held by his townsmen. He was married April 9, 1870, to Mary Jane HORNING of Dugway, Albion, N.Y. He has eight children: Edna, Myrtle, Rosie, Clinton, Pearly, Gladys, Iva and Bessie.
ROBBINS, Wilfred A., the postmaster of Mexico, was born in Herkimer county in 1853, lived there till thirteen years old, them came to Mexico with his parent, Lyman and Jane (BEEBE) ROBBINS, he a native of Herkimer county, born in 1815, and she of Oswego county, born in 1817. They were married in 1838. The mother died in 1888, and the father is a resident of Mexico. He was an assessor seven or eight years in Herkimer county and for eighteen years in Mexico. Wilfred A. was educated at the Mexico Academy, and engaged in grist milling with his father till he was appointed postmaster of Mexico under President Harrison's administration, June 18, 1891. Mr. Robbins is prominent in Masonry, and has recently been appointed district deputy grandmaster for the 19th Masonic District. In 1876 he married Martha WHITNEY, a native of Mexico.
RUSSELL, Charles E., was born in Herkimer county in 1829, moved to Richland when twelve years old, and from there the New Haven in 1884. In 1852 he married Melissa SLATER, who was born December 16, 1832, in Richland and died in 1891, leaving a daughter, Nettie, now Mrs. Hollister WALLACE. Mr. Russell married second Lucinda SLATER (born June 11, 1835), widow of J.A. RUSSELL, who was a cousin of Charles E. Our subject served about a year in Co. G. 184th Regiment, which was discharged at Richmond, Va. His father, Elisha, was in the war of 18112, and resided in Richland, where he died.
READ, Sala H., was born in Connecticut and when eleven years old moved to Scriba and from there a year later to New Haven. In 1851 he married Ann MILLARD and they have had the following children: Edgar who died aged fourteen; Emma who died aged seven; Hiram S., who died in infancy; Cora, now Mrs. Asa M. DARROW; and Ida, now Mrs. W.W. TOWNSEND. His parents, Sala B. and Lydia (HAMILTON) READ, were natives of Connecticut and died at the subject's home in New Haven in 1842 and 1881, aged forty-three and eighty-six, respectively. Mrs. Read is a daughter of Carmi and Experience EASON, natives of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. Her father was born in 1800 and is still living. Her mother died in 1877, aged seventy-three.
RHOADES, T.W., was born in South West Oswego, October 17, 1849. In 1875 he married Geraldine CUSHMAN, and they have two children, Francis and Louisa. Mr. T.W. Rhoades's father was Francis C. RHOADES, a native of Massachusetts, who came to Oswego county in 1824, and his mother was Louisa (PLACE) RHOADE. Mrs. Rhoades's father was Silas CUSHMAN of Franklin county, and was supervisor of his town several years. Ambrose CUSHMAN, the first of many Cushmans in this country, came over in the Mayflower. Mr. and Mrs. Rhoades are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he was for several years one of the stewards. Mrs. Cushman's mother was Lucinda BARKER CUSHMAN.
REILLY, O.M., was born in Middleburgh, Schoharie county, March 15, 1857 and moved form there with his parents to the town of Albion, Oswego county, when only one year old. His boyhood days were spent on the farm about two miles from the village of Sand Bank, attending school winters and working upon the farm in summers. In 1887 he entered Pulaski Academy, form which he graduated in the spring of 1881. While there he taught school during the winter, and after leaving school taught at the village of Williamstown. He then entered the law offices of J.W. Shea of Pulaski and remained there about one year, after which he entered the office of Hon. D.A. King in the same village, remaining until December 1884, and in October of that year was admitted to the bar. Two months later he removed to Williamstown, and opened an office, practicing his profession till August 1888, when he removed to Phoenix where he has since been actively engaged in practice. In 1885 he married Almeda R. HOUSE, also a school teacher from Parish. Mr. Reilly's mother died in 1882 and his father, William, died in July 1883.
ROBINSON, Dennis, of Canadian ancestry, was born September 17, 1817, in Otsego county and died November 19, 1891 in Oswego county. His father, James, was born in Canada and died in Oswego county, aged seventy-eight years. He married Olive HOLMES of Herkimer county, who died aged seventy-five years. Their children were Olive, William, Nathaniel, Septimus, Dennis, Osmer, Sarah; of whom Olive, Nathaniel and Dennis are deceased. The latter married March 3, 1856, Harriet, daughter of Hiram and Isabella (BALCOM) GATES, of Vermont. Mr. Robinson's father was the first settler in Oswego county. The children of our subject and his wife are John, born January 23, 1860; Myra, born October 22, 1868; and Nellie, born February 1, 1873. John married Kittie MC CHESNEY; Nellie married George MATTESON and Myra married Joseph COFFIN, all living near their parents.
RICE, Dr. Alfred, was born in Hannibal, a son of the Hon. Arvin RICE, and a grandson of Asa RICE. Arvin came to this town with his father, Asa Rice, one of the early settlers from Rensselaerville. He settled on a soldier claim near Three Mile Creek, but not far from Oswego. Dr. Alfred Rice was born May 6, 1817, and graduated from Union College at Schenectady in 1840 with the degree of A.R. to which was subsequently added that of A.M. He then went to Kentucky where he taught school. He read medicine and graduated at the Medical college at Castleton, Vt. He commenced practice at Hannibal about 1844. He continued the practice thee until he entered the service in the Rebellion as assistant surgeon of the 110th Regiment N.Y. Vols., being soon promoted to the position of surgeon, and remained with the 110th until the close of the war. He married first, Caroline E. GRAY, who died in 1849, aged twenty seven years, and second, Caroline DUDLEY. She died in February 1862, aged thirty one years, leaving two daughters, Mrs. Chauncey C. PLACE of Fulton, and Mrs. Dr. C.G. PLUMB of Red Creek. Dr. Rice married third, Mrs. Harriet (WILSON) CRADDOCK, and they have one son, Ernest Wilson RICE.
STILLMAN, Charles, a resident of Mexico, was born in 1838, and has always been a citizen of Oswego county. Henry and Harrison Stillman of Oswego are his brothers. He has two children, Ethel and Wade. His wife, Julia, is a daughter of Dean DAVIS, a native of Oswego county. His father, Chester STILLMAN, was born in Oneida county in 1802, located in Oswego county when a young man, and married Almira WELCH, a native of Connecticut. He died in 1884 and his wife in the same year.
SHULTZ, Frank, was born in Cortland, of German ancestry, August 3, 1858, a grandson of George of Germany, who died in Canajoharie, this State, aged ninety-four, and a son of Nathan, who died in Cortland, aged eighty-two. The latter married Polly BARTON, who also died in Cortland, aged seventy-two. Their children were David, Delia, Ida, Mary, Frank and Elmer. Their father was a farmer and a deacon in the Baptist Church. Frank was educated in Cortland and went west as a miner. Returning in 1887, he went to Oswego and engaged in business for a time, but sold out and engaged in the carriage and music business. He is an Odd Fellow. In 1883 he married Carrie, daughter of William and Clarissa (WILLIAMS) RYAN, of Cortland county. Mr. and Mrs. Shults have built up an extensive business in musical instruments and goods, and carriages, having a large wareroom comprising three stories, and the entire building being occupied by the two branches of business. Mrs. Shults attends to the musical department.
STEVENSON, R.H. was born in Canada, February 13, 1852, son of Walter
and Amanda SMITH, was educated in Canada and started the manufacture of
cheese in 1871, has continued at it ever since, and now conducts a cheese
farm and factory in Parish. Was married in 1878 to Hattie M. ACKLER.
Has six children: Horace, Ralph, Fred, Earl, Emma and Eva.
STONE, Benjamin S., was born in Bridport, Vt. March 26, 1821, came to Mexico with his parents, Isaac and Lydia B. (HURLBUT) STONE in 1826, and has since resided here. Reared on a farm, with all the privations and hardships which that implies in those days, at the age of seventeen he entered upon a clerkship in the general store of Peter Chandler, with whom he remained until that gentleman's retirement form business in 1843, when he was succeeded by S.H. and B.S. Stone. In 1857 the partnership was dissolved, and B.S. Stone engaged with S.A. Tuller, under the firm name of Stone & Tuller, in the hardware trade. Later on Mr. Tuller withdrew, and the present firm of B.S. Stone & Co. was formed, giving Mr. Stone an active mercantile career of fifty-six years. In 1846 he married Sarah Elizabeth CHESTER, and has four sons living: Walter C., proprietor of the Advance-Journal, Camden, N.Y.; Edward T., of B.S. Stone & Co.; Dr. William G., since 1880 physician in Northern Hospital for Insane at Elgin, Ills.; and Rev. Carols H., at present proprietor of Cornwall Heights School at Cornwall-on-theHudson. His wife died in 1861, and he afterwards married Mrs. Ellen S. BOYLE, born Hicks. Mr. Stone has never sought political preferment, but has nevertheless been called to many positions of public trust and honor. He has been a member of the First Presbyterian Church since young manhood, and for the greater part of that time one of its trustees. A member of the Board of Trustees of Mexico Academy for forty years, and president since 1878, he was prominent in the erection of the present building, estimating it's cost, and what is noteworthy in these days, completing it within the estimate. He has several times served as trustee of the village, has for twenty-five years been prominently identified with the Mexico Cemetery Association, of which he is at present one of the Board of Commissioners, and has since its foundation been one of the vice-presidents.
SNYDER, Henry, grandfather of R.H. SNYDER, was of German descent, born June 3, 1790. He lived in Sandy Creek and Boylston, dying in the latter place April 3, 1862. His wife was Rachel DUNLAP, who was of Scotch descent, born April 1, 1789 and died April 8, 1859. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Daniel CALKINS, born July 4, 1794, who served in the War of 1812. He was a Methodist minister and died December 21, 1856. His wife was Hannah S. SHAVER, who was born July 13, 1794 and died September 18, 1878. Ransom SNYDER, son of Henry and father of our subject, was born February 23, 1829 in Boylston, and died January 31, 1875 in Orwell. He served in the Civil War in Co. E., 189th N.Y. Vols. He married Abigail CALKINS, a native of Boylston, born May 26, 1829. Afterwards she married Simon PRUYN, and now lives in Sandy Creek. The children of Ransom and Abigail SNYDER are as follows: James G., born in Boylston June 23, 1849; Rev. B. DeForest, born in Boylston August 13, 1850; Ivanette, born in Loraine, Jefferson county, March 30, 1855; Ransom H., born in Orwell February 13, 1865; Carol D., born in Orwell October 7, 1873, died February 7, 1875. Ransom H. was educated in the common schools of Orwell and Sandy Creek till 1883, when he attended Sandy Creek High School, graduation in the classical course in 1887. In the fall of that year he entered Hamilton College, from which institution he was graduated, in the classical course with the class of 1891. During 1891-2 he was principal of the school of Redfield, N.Y.; during 1892-3 principal of the Holland Patent Union School; and in 1893 was elected principal of Sandy Creek High School, and re-elected in 1894. Though taking no active part in politics, he is a Democrat in national questions, but independent otherwise. He belongs to Sandy Creek Lodge No. 565, F. & A.M., in which he is senior deacon.
SEAMAN, John S., was born in Madison county June 8, 1836, son of George and Matilda SEAMAN. George Seaman is among the earliest settlers of Parish, having settled on the same farm on which he now resides and which he cleared himself. He has been in Parish over fifty years, and reared eighteen children, many of whom are now residing in Oswego county. Subject was educated in Parish, and went to work at farming. He volunteered in the late Civil war in 1862 and went to the front with the 147th N.Y. Inft., and participated in seventeen of the principal battles, among other were Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, etc and numerous skirmishes; he was taken prisoner at Gettysburg and confined at Belle Island and Libby prison for fifty-two days. He married Florine ALLEN and has two children, Leroy and Flossie May.
STEWART, Joel W., of English ancestry, was born in Oswego county June 4, 1844, son of Draper of Massachusetts, who is still living aged eighty-two. He married Mary LUKE, born in Massachusetts, who died in Oswego county aged thirty-seven. Their children were Delilah, Lydia, Esther, Thomas, Joel W., our subject, Harriet and Sarah, of whom Harriet is deceased. The father was a farmer and hunter. The grandfather, Ethel, was born in Massachusetts and died in Oswego county aged eighty years. Subject was educated in Richland, and in 1864 enlisted in the 184th N.Y. Vol. Inft., served in the Army of the Potomac, was promoted to corporal and was discharged at the close of the war. He married September 4, 1866, Eva Mary, daughter of George URICH and Annie (QUIRE) WAKEROUT of Wurtenburg, Germany, who emigrated from Germany in 1847, and died in Oswego county. Their children are May L., born December 17, 1869; Rosa B., born September 27, 1872l Delilah born June 3, 1878; and Eve Lily, born August 29, 1884, all of whom are living. Rosa married Asa FILMORE of Richland.
SUITS, Erastus S., was born in Onondaga county in 1828, resided in Jefferson county till twelve years old and has since lived in the towns of Mexico and New Haven. In 1851 he married Susan, daughter of John TURK of Mexico. In 1864 he enlisted in the 4th Heavy Artillery, Co. G., serving till the close of the war. He was on guard duty at Reidville, near Boston in the Invalid Corps, and was also detailed to the commissary department. His parents, Elisha and Lana (SMITH) SUITS, were natives of Herkimer county. The father died in 1865, aged fifty-eight, and the mother in 1833, aged twenty-four.
Copyright © 2001
Dianne Thomas / Laura Perkins