This was generously donated by the Albion Town
Historian, Florence Gardner. For contact information and details
on the resources available on Albion, please check our
Prior to 1788- Indian Territory
March 1, 1788- Indian territory ceded to the State of New York.
1791- Brothers, John & Nicholas Roosevelt purchase a tract of land from the State of New York (of which, a portion eventually becomes the Town of Albion).
April 7, 1792- Roosevelts sell land contract to George Scriba, a native of Holland.
December, 1794- George Scriba receives a patent for this land from the State of New York. Area now called "Scriba's Patent".
January 1795- Subdivision of land begins.
March 24, 1804- Town of Williamstown formed from Oneida County.
February 20, 1807- Town of Richland formed
from Oneida County.
1812- The first settler arrives.
1813- The Lilly brothers (David, Luther & Benjamin), settle in the same vicinity as Burdick, and erect the first sawmill.
The first birth was a son of Luther Lilly's.
The first settler within present
day village of Altmar.
1814- Dr. Brace, a physician, opens a tavern in the village of Sand Bank.
1816- The first schoolhouse is erected in the village of Sand Bank, and Sylvia Breed becomes the first teacher.
1819- The first marriage took place between H.B. Baker of Albany, a Lucy Burdick, daughter of the first settler.
1822- Moses Rich arrives in Sand Bank, and erects the first Grist Mill.
March 24, 1825- The town of Albion is set
off from the Town of Richland.
May 3, 1825- The first town meeting
1828- The first store opens.
Summer of 1837- The first Post Office was
January 27, 1829- First Presbyterian
January 8, 1834- Union Church organized.
December 26, 1837- Albion Baptist Church
1840's to 1850's- An influx of settlers begin arriving into the Town of Albion. The "lumbering" trade now becomes a prominent industry due to the extensive building occurring during this period in our area.
1850- A "plank road" between
Albion and Constantia is constructed.
Pineville Methodist - Episcopal
Church is built.
1851- Construction of the R.W. & O. Railroad through the Town of Albion. (Initials standing for Rome, Watertown & Oswego).
May 1851- Completion of the Railroad Station at Sand Bank.
1852- First Tannery established
in Sand Bank.
March 21, 1853- The Sand Bank Cemetery Association is established.
1856- Dugway Union Church is organized and a building erected.
1860's- During the Civil War, nearly 350 men enlisted in the Union Army and Navy, from the Town of Albion. Fifty six of these men lost their lives and many more were permanently injured. More about this can be found in The Civil War Census.
February 21, 1876- Incorporation of the village of Sand Bank.
October 13, 1885- Sand Bank almost totally
destroyed by fire.
February 17, 1895- Methodist Church constructs a new building.
March 18, 1895- Sand Bank changed to Altmar.
June 14, 1911- Unveiling of Civil War Monument in Riverside Cemetery, Altmar.
1918- Twenty two men serve
in World War I.
April 24, 1936- Brick school built in Altmar.
1940's- Twenty men serve in armed
forces during World War II
April 28, 1959- APW builds new High School in Parish. (dedication Day).
1979- Salmon River Fish Hatchery begins construction in Altmar.
1989- APW School District builds new middle school across road from High School.
Back to Town of Albion
1999 / 2000 Town of Albion Historian - Florence Gardner / Mary Lou Guindon