TOWN OF ALBION,
OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y.
Timeline for Albion
Landmark's History Book Town of Albion,
Oswego County, NY
'New Topographical Atlas of Oswego Co. , Albion North NY
'New Topographical Atlas of Oswego Co. , Albion South NY
Burial Ground, Albion, NY
Cemetery - Albion, NY
Census Town of Albion
Tree of William and Margaret Guy, Altmar
Charles F. Mulvihill
Utica Saturday Globe Newspaper, Oswego, NY - obits Mrs.
Frances J. Pierce
P.O. Box 394, 312 Bridge
Altmar, NY 13302
was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York
State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
from Richland, March 24, 1825. It is an interior town, lying E. of
the center of the co. Its surface is level or gently undulating.
The summits of the ridges are 50 to 100 feet above the valleys, and the
highest point in town is 392 feet above Lake Ontario. The lowlands
are wet and in some places marshy. Salmon River flows through the
N. part. In the N. E. part are 2 or 3 small ponds. The soil
consists of deposits of sand and gravel, and is of medium quality.
Drift deposits cover the whole surface, except along the river courses,
where the underlying rocks crop out. Much of the S. part of the town
is yet unsettled. Considerable manufacturing is carried on.
Sand Bank, (p.v.) on Salmon River, is a station on the Watertown &
Rome R. R., midway between the two places. It contains 1 church,
a hotel, 4 stores, 2 tanneries, 5 sawmills, and a flouring mill.
Pop. 313. Pineville, (Salmon River p.o.,) a station on the
W. & R. R. R., situated on Salmon River, contains 1 church, an inn,
a store, a sawmill, and a large tannery. Pop. 144. New Centerville,
(p.o.,) a station on the W. & R. R. R., Dug Way, (p.o.,) and
Albion (p.o.) are hamlets. Settlement was commenced in 1812,
by Cary BURDIC, of Williamstown, on Lot 29, and Peter HENDERSON, at Sand
Bank. There are 4 churches in town.
Before the dams were built upon this
river, great numbers of salmon were annually taken.
Large quantities of lumber, leather,
and barrels are manufactured, the latter for the Onondaga salt and Oswego
flour markets. There are 38 sawmills, 3 tanneries, and 2 gristmills
In 1813 David, Luther, and Benj.
LILLY and Allen McCLARN settled in the town.
First birth was that of a son of
Luther LILLY, in 1813
First marriage, that of Henry BAKER
and Lucy BURDIC, in 1819
First death, that of a son of Luther
LILLY, in 1813
First inn was kept by Dr. BRACE,
at Sand Bank, in 1814
First store, by Ammi HINKLEY, in
LILLY brothers built the first sawmill,
Ezekial SMITH built the first gristmill,
First school was taught by Sylvia
BREED, in the summer of 1817
Churches: 2 Union, 1 Baptist,
1 M. E.
Return to the Oswego County homepage
1999 - 2004Laura Perkins/
All Rights Reserved