Information was obtained from the Historical & Statistical Gazetteer of New York State, R. P. Smith, Publisher, Syr., 1860, by J. H. French.
AMBOY---- was formed from Williamstown, March 25, 1830. It lies upon the E. border of the co., S. of the center. The surface is rolling and has a general southerly inclination. Its highest point is about 450 feet above Lake Ontario. It is drained principally by Fish Creek and other small tributaries of Oneida Lake. In the S. and W. parts are numerous small lakes and ponds, the principal of which are Painter Lake, North and South Ponds. The N. half of the town is in the region of the gray sandstone, and the S. half in that of the red or Medina sandstone. The soil is principally a sandy or gravelly loam. Amboy Center (p. v.) contains 13 houses; West Amboy (p. v.) 20; and Carterville (p. v.) 12.
Joseph PERKINS, from Conn., was the first settler, in 1805.
Other early settlers were David SMITH, in 1815; Wm. and Isaac CLAXTON and John DROUGHT, in 1818; Sage PARK, in 1821
Fist inn was kept by Joseph PERKINS, in 1805
First sawmill was built by Joseph MURPHY, in1822
First gristmill by Sage PARK, in 1828
First school taught by Cynthia STODDARD, in the summer of 1823
There are 2 churches in town, M. E. and Baptist, both located at Amboy Center
© 1999 - 2006LauraPerkins