THE OIL WELL SUPPLY COMPANY stands pre-eminent in its particular line, having grown from a small beginning in 1867 to its present capital of $1,500,000 and with a surplus of over $3,000,000.
With headquarters at Pittsburgh, Pa., it has over eighty stores and large factories in different parts of the country. It employs several thousand men, and manufactures the great majority of goods required for drilling and operating oil and gas wells. The Boiler Works Department at Oswego, a cut of which appears above, was built in 1900. It supplies all Boilers sold by the company, for use in the oil fields, besides Safety Water Tube and Standard Boilers of highest grade. The Boiler Shop is 413 x 125 feet and employs upwards of two hundred skilled mechanics, the majority of whom own their own homes.
Mr. John Eaton, the founder and President of the Oil Well Supply Company, was born at Esopus, Ulster County, New York. The Eaton family came from England ; they were prominent in the early history New England, and in the Indian and Revolutionary Wars, bearing a most important part in the War for Independence.
After his graduation from college, Mr. Eaton entered the employ of Jos. Nason & Co., New York City, and through his integrity and marked ability, he was, at the end of one year, promoted to the general management of the business. Mr. Eaton's first visit to the oil regions was in 1861 and since that time he has been identified with the oil business. In 1867 he established the oil well supply business on his own account. In 1878, the Oil Well Supply Co , Ltd., was formed by the union of several firms in the same line and in 1891 the present corporation succeeded the limited co-partnership, Mr. Eaton remaining President as before.
Mr. Eaton is one of the most prominent business men in Pittsburgh and President of its Chamber of Commerce. He is also a member of the Duquesne, Union, Civic and Country Clubs of Pittsburgh, the Engineer's Club of New York and the Pennsylvania Society of the American Revolution.
Mr. Eaton is a man of commanding presence, and
of military bearing, having served his country under the old flag during
the Civil War ; he is easy of approach, of a pleasant personality, and
always the genial and courteous gentleman. He is prompt and sagacious
in all business affairs, broad and liberal in his ideas, and has the courage
of his convictions.
The many Oswego friends of Mr. Louis Brown will
be pleased to see his portrait which appears here. He is the Treasurer
of the Oil Well Supply Company. Mr. Brown was born in New York City
and moved to Oswego in 1876. He graduated from the Oswego High School
in 1879, and returned to New York City to engage in business with John
E. White & Company, importers of iron and steel, by which firm he was
sent to Dresden, Germany, in 1881. After an absence of two years he returned
and continued with the firm of John E. White & Company for several
years. In 1889, the National Tube Works Company of Pittsburgh, Pa.,
secured his services, but in a short space of time, the Oil Well Supply
Company, realizing his marked business ability, made him its Treasurer,
which office he still holds. Mr. Brown was married to Lulu, daughter
of Mr. John Eaton, President of the Oil Well Supply Company, in 1891.
Source: Oswego Yesterday & Today, A
Souvenir of the Celebration of Old
Copyright © 2000 Laura Perkins