CHURCHES IN CONSTANTIA
 
 
 


 

TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH

Trinity Episcopal Church, Constantia, N.Y.

Trinity Episcopal Church, Constantia, N.Y. (as it looks today)



This church is located on Rt. 49, in Constantia, NY, and has a small cemetery in back.  A plaque in front reads "Trinity Episcopal Church, erected 1831, 24 acres and building - donated by Frederick W. Scriba."  The picture is what the church looks like today. 

Source:  Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   The church building was erected in 1831, and was consecrated by Bishop B. T. ONDERDONK, September 4, 1833.  The church officers elected at that time were:  Nicholas I. ROOSEVELT and Frederick W. SCRIBA, wardens; Geo. SCRIBA, Burnet DUNDAS, John BEEBE, Robert ELLIOTT, Jacob BEEBE, and George SCRIBA, Jr., vestrymen.  The first pastor was Timothy MINOR.  The present officers are Dr. Frederick HARVILL and Julian CARTER, wardens; John DUFFLER, Andrew J. DUFFLER, James BARNES, William COLWELL, Richard CARTER, Elijah HOLLENBECK, L. S. STEVENS, and Frederick C. LANDER, vestrymen.


THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF CONSTANTIA, N.Y.


 


Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   The church building was erected in 1842; the first pastor being Rev. Archibald ROBINSON, who remained until 1844.  From this time until 1873 no regular pastor was installed over the church, though the charge was supplied for short periods by students from the theological school at Auburn.  The first officers were Robert McFARLAN and D. W. INGERSOLL, deacons;  Rollin BLOUNT, Jos. E. WOODBRIDGE, and Moses LESTER, trustees.  The first members were Robert McFARLAN and wife, Rollin BLOUNT and wife, Jos. E. WOODBRIDGE and wife, Nathan J. STILES and wife, and Mrs. LESTER.  The present pastor is Rev. Mr. McCARTHY, and the present officers are D. W. INGERSOLL and Daniel D. INGERSOLL, elders; James ROBINSON and George CLOUGH, trustees; and Norman ALLEN, clerk.  The Sunday-school consists of seventy scholars, and the library contains about fifty volumes.


THE METHODIST CHURCH OF CONSTANTIA, N.Y.

Bernhard's Bay Community United Methodist Church
Bernhard's Bay Community United Methodist Church

Bernhard's Bay Community United Methodist Church
Bernhard's Bay Community United Methodist Church


 
 

Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   Although the society had existed for a number of years previous, and its members had held religious services from time to time, the church building was not begun until 1868.  The lot was donated to the society by Mr. J. CARTER.  The building was completed July 20, 1871; the cost being estimated at five thousand dollars.

   The first pastor was Rev. H. C. ABBOT; and the first board of trustees consisted of E. W. PHILLIPS, Chauncey DUNN, and G. J. PRENTISS.  The present officers are Lewis K. AURINGER, Alexander BROWN, and Dr. J. A. GRIFFIN, trustees;  G. J. PRENTISS and J. R. DECKER, class-leaders; and G. J. PRENTISS, J. R. DECKER, Thomas BOOTS, Jr., Alexander BROWN, L. K. AURINGER, T. S. MARSDEN, Alvin SOUTHWELL, W. H. STOWELL, and E. W. MILLER, stewards.  The Sunday-school has about one hundred scholars.


THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS (AT BERNHARD'S BAY)

Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   This society was organized in 1816.  Elder John BEDELL and his wife, who was a minister, were influential in its formation.  The first members were John P. DICKINSON and wife, John A. HOYT and wife, Benjamin BEDELL and wife, Israel J. TITUS and wife, Willard STRATTON and wife, Phebe BEDELL, and Patience HALLOCK.  The present members are John BEDELL, Cornelius WINN, John S. HAIGHT, and Samuel F. DICKINSON.


THE METHODIST CHURCH OF CLEVELAND

Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   The Rev. Christopher MARTIN was the originator of Methodism in the village of Cleveland, and although for a great number of years the society had no regular place of worship, Mr. Martin preached from time to time in private houses in various parts of the village.

  The present pastor of the church is Rev. W. S. TITUS.  The board of trustees consists of E. CRISPIN, Z. DARLAND, H. J. CASWELL, G. ANDAS, and J. M. BERNHARD.  There are three Sunday-schools connected with this charge, having in the aggregate about one hundred and fifty pupils.  The Sunday-school library consists of about one hundred volumes.


THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF CLEVELAND

Information was obtained from the History of Oswego County, N. Y., 1789 – 1877, published by Everett & Ferriss, 1878.

   This church was organized July 22, 1867.  The first rector was James STODDARD, in 1867.  The present officers are William FOSTER and Charles KATHERN, wardens; Jos. TURCK, William H. FOSTER, Abraham M. CARPENTER, Henry J. CASWELL, Henry GARBER, Asher S. POTTER, Dewitt C. STEVENSON, and James R. BONES, vestrymen.  The society is at present without a pastor; the Rev. R. L. MATISON being the last, who left in April, 1877.  The Sunday-school consists of about forty members, and has a small library.

   There is also a Catholic church at this point, but owing to the absence of its pastor we have been unable to learn the facts regarding it.


Back to Town of Constantia

Return to the Oswego County homepage

Copyright © 1999 - 2013 Laura Perkins & Dianne Thomas
All Rights Reserved